PDA

View Full Version : Quit Daydreaming...No more signings coming

Dverde
07-15-2014, 12:08 AM
No more signings. I think it is only a matter of who makes the roster. To me it is between...Bayes(unsigned), D. Thomas, or Cotton (due to Patty injury). Spurs are doing nothing else until the trade deadline if anything. I'm fine with that, we tried sign Pau but failed.

RD2191
07-15-2014, 12:16 AM
:violin

Dverde
07-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Truth as told by TSpence26

cd98
07-15-2014, 12:53 AM
Cotton not fast enough to be an undersized two. Mills didn't just bring shooting; he brought change of pace and ball pressure. Cotton doesn't have that.

Cry Havoc
07-15-2014, 01:41 AM
It really sucks that this dominant championship team with an insane roster couldn't upgrade so we could be as good as the clippers or bobcats. :lol

Johnny RIngo
07-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Have you taken a look at the remaining free agents? It's fucking awful. Nobody on there deserves a MLE deal. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm uneasy just standing pat and not improving the team but there's no one left worth signing. Anybody that was half decent has already been signed. Spurs had a legit shot at netting Gasol but we just didn't have enough money to get the deal done.

Kineto
07-15-2014, 02:33 AM
Bo McCalleb could be interesting, but we already have 3 PG (+1 unguaranteed), + manu, anderson and eventually belinelli for fulfilling PG duties.
I don't see him signing here unless we trade joseph, maybe a pack joseph+ayres(+daye?) for a back-up 3 could be a good idea.

But McCalled, Parker and Mills are both offensive PG, keeping a good defensive PG who know the spurs system is probably the better choice (even if McCalleb is a better player than Jospeh)

intlspurshk
07-15-2014, 07:09 AM
How about other teams' summar league players? Any interesting one?

montgod
07-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Shill holding out hope that Ayres gets traded or cut to free up roster spot.

playbonner15
07-15-2014, 07:27 AM
How about other teams' summar league players? Any interesting one?
Wiggins looks good. Spurs should sign him as Kawhi's backup

exstatic
07-15-2014, 07:33 AM
Shill holding out hope that Ayres gets traded or cut to free up roster spot.

It would be more likely for Daye to be cut, as his salary is about 57% of what Ayres makes.

Russo21
07-15-2014, 08:18 AM
It's just that we have some dead weight on the team that bugs most of us. And quite a bit of that is in the frontcourt.

Boner is still here
Daye who has a similar skill set to Boner is back
Ayres who can't catch a basketball is back again

3 of our big men completely suck and it's a tough ask to put all our big man hopes and minutes to old man riverwalk, diaw and glasshouse splitter. Haven't heard if Baynes will be back.

PG and SG depth is quite good. And unless Anderson isn't as slow as advertised he may fill the backup SF slot nicely. We have heaps of undersized guards and smaller wings, and just 3 good big men. Basically if all 3 of Boner, Daye and Ayers are back would be a shame. I was just hoping for anyone to come in ahead of Ayres, Daye and Boner in the big man rotation but it looks like they will all be back, bugger me.

Darkwaters
07-15-2014, 08:42 AM
It really sucks that this dominant championship team with an insane roster couldn't upgrade so we could be as good as the clippers or bobcats. :lol

Bobcats? What is this Bobcats team you speak of?! :lol

In all honesty, Cry Havoc has a point. We've made the Western Finals three years in a row. We've made the Finals two in a row. Being able to bring the band back is a huge accomplishment that shouldn't be discarded. It's a really big deal.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2014, 09:20 AM
I disagree. I think the Spurs are waiting to see their Summer League performances in deciding if they want to keep Aryes and Daye. At this point, it looks like both will be moved. Both are experimental at this point anyways. Being 4/5 years in the league and getting owned by rookies and 2 year players doesn't bode well for them.

Cotton has been impressive thus far and he is looking like a Patty Mills prototype, Spurs can keep him on the roster. I still think the Spurs will use the MLE if they can get Marion.

I can see these two taking their places if they continue to stink it up.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2014, 09:44 AM
I disagree. I think the Spurs are waiting to see their Summer League performances in deciding if they want to keep Aryes and Daye. At this point, it looks like both will be moved. Both are experimental at this point anyways. Being 4/5 years in the league and getting owned by rookies and 2 year players doesn't bode well for them.

Cotton has been impressive thus far and he is looking like a Patty Mills prototype, Spurs can keep him on the roster. I still think the Spurs will use the MLE if they can get Marion.

I can see these two taking their places if they continue to stink it up.Cotton sucked badly the last two games, especially on D. Most likely will be waived out of camp to Austin.

If they sign anyone out of SL, at this point it's Green and Morris. Morris could get a better opportunity elsewhere, but I think Green should be offered a Cotton-like camp offer with some guaranteed money.

Obstructed_View
07-15-2014, 09:50 AM
I'm afraid neither of them are going to make it.

All due respect, CWS, but Cotton has been anything but impressive since game 1. He's almost certainly going to be at camp because he got a contract, but he'd be cut otherwise. He might, without hyperbole, be the worst defender I've ever seen. He can't seem to stay in front of anyone, he can't seem to be near anyone without fouling, and he can't seem to foul without allowing the shot to go up. The opposing point guards are just wrecking him. Also looks like the NBA line is beyond his range, which is bad. The only thing he has in common with Mills at this point is size, which is not a mark in his favor. He had as close to a guaranteed gig as someone in his position could expect going into summer league, but he's going to need to step it up and show something going forward or Morris will get the camp invite in his place.

Thomas, much as I like him, probably won't stick with the Spurs either. He doesn't fit at a position that matches his skillset, unfortunately. Would really love to see him prove me wrong on that.

Hopefully someone has looked at box scores instead of watching the games and contacted RC about Daye. That's a chance to package Ayres up.

RD2191
07-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I'm afraid neither of them are going to make it.

All due respect, CWS, but Cotton has been anything but impressive since game 1. He's almost certainly going to be at camp because he got a contract, but he'd be cut otherwise. He might, without hyperbole, be the worst defender I've ever seen. He can't seem to stay in front of anyone, he can't seem to be near anyone without fouling, and he can't seem to foul without allowing the shot to go up. The opposing point guards are just wrecking him. Also looks like the NBA line is beyond his range, which is bad. The only thing he has in common with Mills at this point is size, which is not a mark in his favor. He had as close to a guaranteed gig as someone in his position could expect going into summer league, but he's going to need to step it up and show something going forward or Morris will get the camp invite in his place.

Thomas, much as I like him, probably won't stick with the Spurs either. He doesn't fit at a position that matches his skillset, unfortunately. Would really love to see him prove me wrong on that.

Hopefully someone has looked at box scores instead of watching the games and contacted RC about Daye. That's a chance to package Ayres up.
I thought you were high on Daye?

ironman2886
07-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Daydreaming? Child please.

capek
07-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Man, when was the last time, as a Spurs fan, you could go the entire off-season without hoping the Spurs would make a big move? Good times!

Obstructed_View
07-15-2014, 10:14 AM

I don't think I've ever been high on him, but I don't dislike him particularly. Physically, Daye is a monster. He's Kevin Durant with a little extra bulk and all the mobility. Think about that. He's a man among boys in summer league, which is how he puts up amazing numbers without looking like he did much. And that's the problem. He's got StanleyRobertsitis. He looks disengaged much of the time. I don't know if it's because he's not smart enough to see what's happening or if he's just never had to work hard on a basketball court in his life. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's because he's entitled. He makes a poor defensive play because he reaches instead of moving his feet, and then he gets mad at the officials when they whistle him. Regardless, that just won't fly on the varsity team, and it's why he hasn't been able to find a permanent gig. Whatever his deficiency, I simply don't think he has an extra gear that NBA players need. If it gets Ayres out of Dodge, I'd be okay with the Spurs making him someone else's problem while his box score is impressive.

That said, if there were a year that the Spurs were deep enough to try to bring someone like that along, maybe this is it. Roster's pretty full though. I wouldn't want to lose someone like Baynes to take a chance on Daye.

RD2191
07-15-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't think I've ever been high on him, but I don't dislike him particularly. Physically, Daye is a monster. He's Kevin Durant with a little extra bulk and all the mobility. Think about that. He's a man among boys in summer league, which is how he puts up amazing numbers without looking like he did much. And that's the problem. He's got StanleyRobertsitis. He looks disengaged much of the time. I don't know if it's because he's not smart enough to see what's happening or if he's just never had to work hard on a basketball court in his life. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's because he's entitled. He makes a poor defensive play because he reaches instead of moving his feet, and then he gets mad at the officials when they whistle him. Regardless, that just won't fly on the varsity team, and it's why he hasn't been able to find a permanent gig. Whatever his deficiency, I simply don't think he has an extra gear that NBA players need. If it gets Ayres out of Dodge, I'd be okay with the Spurs making him someone else's problem while his box score is impressive.

That said, if there were a year that the Spurs were deep enough to try to bring someone like that along, maybe this is it. Roster's pretty full though. I wouldn't want to lose someone like Baynes to take a chance on Daye.
I see. Solid points. I see potential too but something missing. Like if it's all there but he can't seem to pull it all together. Just weird.

FireMicoHalili
07-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Sources or gtfo

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Cotton sucked badly the last two games, especially on D. Most likely will be waived out of camp to Austin.

If they sign anyone out of SL, at this point it's Green and Morris. Morris could get a better opportunity elsewhere, but I think Green should be offered a Cotton-like camp offer with some guaranteed money.

I just watch the first game TBH. Yeah, it looks like Cotton has been stinking up the joint since then, look good that game though. At least Daye had a good game last night, which is promising. He and Anderson work real well together.

But Aryes has been stinking up the joint. Spurs need to get rid of him by any means. Green looks like a player. Long arms, athletic and seems to have a high enough IQ to play in the Spurs system. He might be this year's Neal/Green for the Spurs being they both were 24 when they were officially signed to the Roster.

But Aryes needs to go. He is such a waste of a roster spot.

PublicOption
07-15-2014, 11:41 AM
austin daye will be as good as if not better than pau gasol. if even needed really.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2014, 11:59 AM
I just watch the first game TBH. Yeah, it looks like Cotton has been stinking up the joint since then, look good that game though. At least Daye had a good game last night, which is promising. He and Anderson work real well together.

But Aryes has been stinking up the joint. Spurs need to get rid of him by any means. Green looks like a player. Long arms, athletic and seems to have a high enough IQ to play in the Spurs system. He might be this year's Neal/Green for the Spurs being they both were 24 when they were officially signed to the Roster.

But Aryes needs to go. He is such a waste of a roster spot.Ayres did fine in the second half, but I wouldn't be against taking Green over him.

littlecoyotecoin
07-15-2014, 12:00 PM

But Aryes needs to go. He is such a waste of a roster spot.

I was going to let those comments slide, but yeah, after his first game, Cotton has been getting torched on D, etc. And, Daye led the team in rebounding in game 1 and 3, and is leading overall. Not to mention Daye had 5-6 assists and only 1 turnover, yesterday (and a foul could have been called even on that turnover, I think...announcers on TV even commented about it...)

So, Cotton might be skating on thin ice getting that contract guaranteed and a roster spot.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Ayres did fine in the second half, but I wouldn't be against taking Green over him.

One half out of six. Still don't see that warranting a roster spot. The guy should be dominating the tournament are putting up Green type of number at this point of his career.

littlecoyotecoin
07-15-2014, 12:05 PM
One half out of six. Still don't see that warranting a roster spot. The guy should be dominating the tournament are putting up Green type of number at this point of his career.

Green does look promising in this small sample. Pop and Co. may still run with familiarity rather than promise.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Green does look promising in this small sample. Pop and Co. may still run with familiarity rather than promise.

Familiarity of 4 miss dunks in one game against the worse team in the league.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237453&p=7509992#post7509992

look_at_g_shred
07-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Taking it to the Hole
07-15-2014, 01:06 PM

I see the same problems with Daye everywhere he has been. Something mental is out of whack. As bad as people are wanting him to be cut, my fear is that he gets over his mental slump somewhere else and emerges as a true NBA player and the Spurs miss out. I don't know if he is truly desiring to improve his skill set. I just don't see the hustle that is needed to make this team. I think we could all excuse a lot more if we saw that his effort was there but there is none. He approaches the game so passively it scares the hell out of me.

littlecoyotecoin
07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Familiarity of 4 miss dunks in one game against the worse team in the league.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I am just suggesting that that is what they like to do, definitely not suggesting he is a skilled player. They like their continuity, for better, and sometimes, maybe, for the worse.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2014, 03:06 PM
No need to dream since we have the same team than last year= no egos, perfect game, perfect formula.

littlecoyotecoin
07-15-2014, 03:58 PM
I see the same problems with Daye everywhere he has been. Something mental is out of whack. As bad as people are wanting him to be cut, my fear is that he gets over his mental slump somewhere else and emerges as a true NBA player and the Spurs miss out. I don't know if he is truly desiring to improve his skill set. I just don't see the hustle that is needed to make this team. I think we could all excuse a lot more if we saw that his effort was there but there is none. He approaches the game so passively it scares the hell out of me.

When he was traded here, I read a few things that point to attitude problems, possibly, as well. Most glaring was his involvement in a team mutiny of sorts in Detroit, which I am sure had at least a part in getting him shipped out.

TheGoldStandard
07-15-2014, 04:31 PM
He has until deadline to shape up or he's going to be shipped out.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
He has until deadline to shape up or he's going to be shipped out.
Which deadline?

TheGoldStandard
07-15-2014, 07:01 PM
Which deadline?
Trade deadline, we can pick up a pick or something since he will probably be sitting in street clothes for the playoffs if he stays

littlecoyotecoin
07-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Trade deadline, we can pick up a pick or something since he will probably be sitting in street clothes for the playoffs if he stays

The 2014-2015 trade deadline is like 18 months from now.

Strategic
07-15-2014, 08:45 PM

Kool Bob Love
07-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Shit....at least FIVE happen this summer!!!!

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah, looks like we won't use the MLE this year, don't need to. Aside from the Cavs, no other team has made much of an improvement this off-season. Clips are a little better now they have a serviceable 3rd big, Bulls are a little better with Gasol than Boozer, Mavs are a bit better with TyChandler and Parsons (but worse at PG without Calderon, and lost VC who was key to their bench, too), but that's about it.

I like our chances going forward with this roster.

DJR210
07-15-2014, 10:15 PM
:lmao TC is a fraud insider too, we sign Messina hours later

SpurPadre
07-15-2014, 10:20 PM

You're my boy here cry havoc but you do realize we haven't repeated and usually have stood pat after winning titles before, right? I believe we can repeat but it's far from a given.

VBM
07-15-2014, 10:22 PM
You're my boy here cry havoc but you do realize we haven't repeated and usually have stood pat after winning titles before, right? I believe we can repeat but it's far from a given.

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ohhh.png

Got a point there. http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/lupe1.png

Obstructed_View
07-15-2014, 10:30 PM

Not sure that failure to sign outside free agents has been the major factor in the Spurs' inability to repeat. It's entirely possible that it's not even a minor factor. Duncan blew out his knee in 2000, .4 happened in 2004, smallball happened in 2006 and 2008. Pop had bigs in 2006 but refused to use them, and he simply didn't care to have them in 2008 and the Spurs got destroyed on the boards.

xmas1997
07-15-2014, 10:33 PM
The team is a lot more balanced this year I think.

SpurPadre
07-15-2014, 10:34 PM
Not sure that failure to sign outside free agents has been the major factor in the Spurs' inability to repeat. It's entirely possible that it's not even a minor factor. Duncan blew out his knee in 2000, .4 happened in 2004, smallball happened in 2006 and 2008. Pop had bigs in 2006 but refused to use them, and he simply didn't care to have them in 2008 and the Spurs got destroyed on the boards.

Each example you bring up could've been mitigated with an off-season upgrade, especially in '04 when the Lakers bought their way into the Finals.

SpurPadre
07-15-2014, 10:37 PM
The team is a lot more balanced this year I think.

TD and Manu aren't getting any younger, though and TP is gradually getting out of his prime. I'd feel a lot better about our chances with one more upgrade. You guys think the Bonner decoy is going to work again next year?

TheGoldStandard
07-15-2014, 10:40 PM
TD and Manu aren't getting any younger, though and TP is gradually getting out of his prime. I'd feel a lot better about our chances with one more upgrade. You guys think the Bonner decoy is going to work again next year?

Our success will be predicated on the whole team playing well but essentially Parker having a solid RS and Kawhi with more confidence when he gets the ball.

SpurPadre
07-15-2014, 10:43 PM
Our success will be predicated on the whole team playing well but essentially Parker having a solid RS and Kawhi with more confidence when he gets the ball.

Really hope Pop works more plays for Kawhi and maybe Messina can open things up for him.

TheGoldStandard
07-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Really hope Pop works more plays for Kawhi and maybe Messina can open things up for him.

Probably not so much but Kawhi knows that he can be effective if he makes smart quick decisions with the ball so I expect him to be more determined to score this season. This is a blessing too because that will open the floor up for everyone else. Lets hope the transition continues to take place.

Cry Havoc
07-15-2014, 10:59 PM

Long season ahead. This FO has worked magic before. We could go after an expiring contract and get a nice trade down the line.

SpurPadre
07-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Long season ahead. This FO has worked magic before. We could go after an expiring contract and get a nice trade down the line.

Agreed. For now, the best move we've made that wasn't a given was getting Messina aboard.

Thomas82
07-16-2014, 01:11 AM

All of these things, and IMO, they didn't know how to play with a target on their backs.

Dverde
07-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Still the truth. Only thing coming is Baynes re-signing with the Spurs. I don't think the Spurs even wanted Marion for anything above the vet min.

UnWantedTheory
07-25-2014, 10:52 AM
Thank Jeebus Ayers & The Red Mamba are back in the fold at least.