07-15-2014, 04:48 PM
Good read by TD Williams
https://medium.com/the-cauldron/the-man-who-sold-the-world-3df16d8b754a

Captivus
07-15-2014, 07:20 PM
WOW!
Great read.

The final sentence is gold:
Morey’s triumph allows us the feeling of being part of the in-crowd, but, in turn, our continuing investment in his myth makes us part of the problem.

jimbo
07-15-2014, 07:24 PM
The writer dogged on Bill Simmons for propping up Morey fwiw

and tbh he's done better than Houston would have done without him in terms of actually getting 2 star players there in Harden/Dwight, but I'm still mixed on him because it still feels like he's missing the obvious moves.

I think it was a good idea to test out Parsons' RFA this year. He's not a third option on a championship team unless you've got Lebron James on it. If signing him blocks you from gambling at the other free agents in the future, you gotta pass on him. They were pretty damn close to getting Bosh. That team woulda been ridiculously stacked had it come to fruition. Even with Parsons playing for 1 year for 2nd round money and the Rockets grabbing like Bledsoe--they still wouldn't be title favorites. (Although that actually sounds like a better by the odds plan to win a title than their chances of getting Love/KD/whoever and then winning the title so I actually like the Bledsoe plan fwiw.) He's still swinging for home runs when he should just take the double and play from there.

& At least he's showing SOME progress. Not like Cuban who tried to outsmart everyone/the CBA and ended up with a borderline playoff team with no chance at ever competing for a title again. He just traded playoff positions with the Rockets by getting Parsons. But it's not like he'll win a championship with his current team, and the Rockets still have an ounce of hope in 2015/16 free agency.

But him keeping McHale is just flat out retarded. I know about his daughter and all, but it's been a few years...and McHale hasn't shown any improvement. He'd have a more successful team by throwing 15 mil a year at Rick Carlisle rather than Chandler Parsons. (and he'd get to mindfuck Cuban in the process)

spurraider21
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
waiting for DJ0hn's rebuttal

Jenks
07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Holy shit

Dude tore him (and Bill Simmons, and the rest of the shitty sports media) a new asshole

sook
07-15-2014, 09:14 PM
great article tbh.

Bill_Brasky
07-15-2014, 09:38 PM
that is complete destruction.

Thebesteva
07-15-2014, 09:45 PM
You guys actually read that entire fucking article just for the fuck of it? Holy shit you guys need to get a life

ambchang
07-15-2014, 09:48 PM
You guys actually read that entire fucking article just for the fuck of it? Holy shit you guys need to get a life

You make it sound like hanging around Spurstalk is some wholesome productive activity that can solve world hunger.

Bill_Brasky
07-15-2014, 09:50 PM

For people who read above a fifth grade level it really isnt a very long piece at all.

Thebesteva
07-15-2014, 09:58 PM
For people who read above a fifth grade level it really isnt a very long piece at all.

No one from San Antonio can read above a fifth grade level give me a fuckin break

DJR210
07-15-2014, 10:05 PM
:lol Great read. What goes on in Morey's head as he reads this for the first time..

07-15-2014, 10:07 PM
http://i.imgur.com/p4ntVQ5.gif

07-15-2014, 10:07 PM
jk good read

Bill_Brasky
07-15-2014, 10:13 PM
No one from San Antonio can read above a fifth grade level give me a fuckin break

Cool?

Malik Hairston
07-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Meh article, too much hating and biased criticism IMO..

The only problem I have with Morey is that he continues to support McHale, which doesn't make any sense..an analytics guy that sticks with a coach that utilizes a 90s style of antiquated basketball..

midnightpulp
07-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Meh article, too much hating and biased criticism IMO..

The only problem I have with Morey is that he continues to support McHale, which doesn't make any sense..an analytics guy that sticks with a coach that utilizes a 90s style of antiquated basketball..

McHale is odd. You'd think a player who was a member of some of the best passing teams in history would know how to implement a system. Morey should just tell him, "Go watch your '86 Celtics and try to do that."

Malik Hairston
07-15-2014, 11:15 PM
McHale is odd. You'd think a player who was a member of some of the best passing teams in history would know how to implement a system. Morey should just tell him, "Go watch your '86 Celtics and try to do that."

True, but wasn't McHale known as one of the biggest black holes/ball hogs in the league, tbh?..

midnightpulp
07-15-2014, 11:19 PM
True, but wasn't McHale known as one of the biggest black holes/ball hogs in the league, tbh?..

Yes he was :lol

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/07/the-nbas-odd-couple-larry-bird-and.html

StrengthAndHonor
07-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Very good read. Debunks a lot of notion about Morey's "brilliance" because he's a GM that thrives in analytics. None of his decisions has panned out despite of his knack for number crunching, that's just the reality of it. He ignores one of the best recipe for success, that being chemistry, and his method of overpaying the same retread talent is comical.

Lin is a great example. Morey signed him and then him cut after two weeks. Morey, being a baller, spends $8 million of their cap space seasons later only to trade Lin and their 1st round pick for a cap space that ended up being partially used on Trevor Ariza. Yes, the same guy they traded only to get him back for more money when he's older. Head scratcher.

I was a huge fan of his work in 2008-2009, which is his best work to date IMO. He got caught up with big name free agents, Dwight and Harden are fine but his lust for Melo was completely out of character considering Melo is one of the least efficient player in the league that requires a high usage rate to get his numbers, which is essentially the same player as Harden.

sook
07-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Very good read. Debunks a lot of notion about Morey's "brilliance" because he's a GM that thrives in analytics. None of his decisions has panned out despite of his knack for number crunching, that's just the reality of it. He ignores one of the best recipe for success, that being chemistry, and his method of overpaying the same retread talent is comical.

Lin is a great example. Morey signed him and then him cut after two weeks. Morey, being a baller, spends $8 million of their cap space seasons later only to trade Lin and their 1st round pick for a cap space that ended up being partially used on Trevor Ariza. Yes, the same guy they traded only to get him back for more money when he's older. Head scratcher.

I was a huge fan of his work in 2008-2009, which is his best work to date IMO. He got caught up with big name free agents, Dwight and Harden are fine but his lust for Melo was completely out of character considering Melo is one of the least efficient player in the league that requires a high usage rate to get his numbers, which is essentially the same player as Harden.
Tbh, his best work was in 09' because he stuck to the traditional method and wasn't so full of himself at that point. The stargazing has to do with Les...who inherited a championship team (I hate that he gets credited for 2 rings like he built that from scratch..), Les is REALLY big on star chasing because it is a guaranteed source of $$ and the shortcut to building a contender. Look at the moves we've had over the last two decades...pippen, Barkley..the dude wants to sell you the frontmen on the billboard so he can raise his ticket prices and have that slim chance of competing for a title. Building a true contender isn't easy...but with 1 team winning a ring every year how can you expect it to be? For that reason, I'll lay off Morey just a little bit--otherwise most of what you said is true (there is a reason he ignores chemistry---its difficult to quantify)

KaiRMD1
07-16-2014, 12:30 AM
http://asset-a.soup.io/asset/2765/6738_aeb2.gif

Indazone
07-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Dork Elvis is all salty about losing at his own game. The Mavs did to the Rockets what the Rockets have been doing for years.http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/rockets-gm-daryl-morey-is-all-salty-about-losing-at-his-own-game/

Thread
07-16-2014, 10:22 AM

Whatever they do to McHale they'll have to do to the next guy. They're rotten from within. Howard is no good, & Harden is heading there rapidly to join him.

Buddy Mignon
07-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Is it me or does this article echoes everything I've been preaching about these advanced stat geeks for years.

urunobili
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Solid piece tbh

Thread
07-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Solid piece tbh

Bend over. I'll show ya a fuckin' soli........well, just bend over.

urunobili
07-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Bend over. I'll show ya a fuckin' soli........well, just bend over.

and you are?

Thread
07-16-2014, 11:28 AM
and you are?

Please. Act like we're not familiar.

urunobili
07-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Please. Act like we're not familiar.

who?

spurraider21
07-16-2014, 11:40 AM
Is it me or does this article echoes everything I've been preaching about these advanced stat geeks for years.
if anything this piece implies that Morey knows nothing about analytics and thats is a huge myth/aura around him

Malik Hairston
07-16-2014, 11:52 AM
It actually seems like Morey has tried too hard to shed the "analytical" perception and it has hurt him, tbh..he would be better off sticking to his strengths..

There's no way an analytics-oriented GM would keep McHale at coach..

Thread
07-16-2014, 12:54 PM
It actually seems like Morey has tried too hard to shed the "analytical" perception and it has hurt him, tbh..he would be better off sticking to his strengths..

Demonizing McHale won't change the status quo there. No way.

sook
07-16-2014, 01:21 PM

That's because no other coach would be willing to let Morey use him as a puppet.

whitemamba
07-16-2014, 05:19 PM
good read, but nothing i didnt kno already.

DPG21920
07-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Pretty sure that writer just browsed ST and saw my post on Morey..

My Fault
07-16-2014, 08:40 PM
:lol Dat post count

DMC
07-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure you got a break on your college admission.