PDA

View Full Version : Mills temporary replacement...

venitian navigator
07-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Looks that the role missing for the first part of the season is a fast 1/2 guard that could replace Patty till he's able to come back... of the options in free agency imho the one that probably resembles more Patty's game and skills (if Cotton will not be considered the answer) is Mo Williams.
Thoughts?

benstanfield
07-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Mills replacement is probably Manu/Diaw/Beli/Anderson on the court with Cojo at all times. Why tie up money on someone we won't use much once Patty's back? And why would he sign, knowing this?

If anything sign Ish Smith who the Suns just let go.

SpursFan86
07-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Mo Williams signed with Mavs already.

Vic Petro
07-16-2014, 04:31 PM
His replacement is Cory Joseph.

murpjf88
07-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Has Mills even had the surgery yet? His timetable for recovery doesn't start until after the surgery. There's an out side chance he misses the entire season.

Dex
07-16-2014, 04:33 PM
7fcZcI1Ri7w

venitian navigator
07-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Mills is out till march. Frankly, I think that it's a very long time and we don't know how much time it will take for him to come back to the player that's been so important for us last season. Williiams is fast and can shoot, and is an experienced veteran player that played at a high level, also of play offs. I don'y know about Ish Smith but I don't think he can guarantee the same level of game...

TheGoldStandard
07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Belli and Joseph will get the minutes.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2014, 04:45 PM
Marco's going to need to play passable enough defense to stay on the floor in those situations.

venitian navigator
07-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Joseph deserve his chance, but I don't think his skills match the ones of Mills, most of all is shooting expecially from long distance...Belinelli is ok but I don't see him as a Mills replacement for the regular season (he's more, like the past season, a Manu replacement...)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2014, 04:52 PM
They need another bench scorer. There's still some options out there, but they're dwindling by the day.

Splits
07-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Has Mills even had the surgery yet? His timetable for recovery doesn't start until after the surgery. There's an out side chance he misses the entire season.

Hes in a sling in the video bomb thread.

TheGoldStandard
07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Marco's going to need to play passable enough defense to stay on the floor in those situations.

Meh, not during the regular season. Pop was okay with him stinking it up and getting beaten to spots on the floor for a good stretch.

TheGreatYacht
07-16-2014, 05:09 PM
There's a 5'7 Japanese PG on the Mavs summer league team that plays exactly like mills

littlecoyotecoin
07-16-2014, 05:13 PM
There's a 5'7 Japanese PG on the Mavs summer league team that plays exactly like mills

I've seen that dude, his name's Patty Mirrs.

Robz4000
07-16-2014, 05:24 PM

Not yet, there's only been talk of 'mutual interest' so far.

Robz4000
07-16-2014, 05:25 PM

SpursFan86
07-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Hmmm, I could've sworn they agreed to a deal before the actual signing period started. Guess not.

Regardless, I'll pass.

TrueSpursFan
07-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Gary Neal! We should trade for him, he's a perfect replacement for the time being. Do it RC!

TheGreatYacht
07-16-2014, 05:47 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Darkwaters
07-16-2014, 05:50 PM
His replacement is Cory Joseph.

In fairness, I think we all mostly know that. But it is reasonable to assume the Spurs will have a 3rd PG replacement (Emergency guy).

I really had high hopes for Bryce Cotton - but he doesn't look ready at all to step into that role.

G-Dawgg
07-16-2014, 08:39 PM
A combination of Joseph and Belinelli should be more than enough to fill in for Patty..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-16-2014, 09:59 PM
Yup, CoJo and Belli will cover for him and it will work out just fine.

cd021
07-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Cojo has played well with Ginobili before. He can do some of the same things Mills can. Moves well without the ball, can shoot off P&Rs. Takes pretty good shots only doesn't settle for 3's. Could stand to improve on corner 3's ( the spot where he shoots from the most, 39.1% )

I think he is a capable replacement. Though it would be nice to have someone behind him in case he struggles. Cojo-Belinelli-Ginobili-Diaw-Baynes or Cojo-Beli-Ginobili-Anderson-Diaw or even a Ginobili-Belinelli-Anderson-Diaw-Baynes lineup are some lineups i'd expect to see.

baseline bum
07-16-2014, 10:14 PM
Mo Williams is one of the worst point guards to ever live. Fuck that guy, never want to see him on the Spurs. What a fucking retard Mo Williams is.

cd021
07-16-2014, 10:16 PM

He had it about 2 weeks ago. The time table is still March. Should have 20 games to get back into the swing of it.

cd021
07-16-2014, 10:24 PM
Jameer Nelson is probably the best PG available after Williams.

Decent numbers last year 12 ppg, 7 apg 2 T.O. His shooting numbers weren't great (39% FG and 35% 3pt) but actually his numbers were similar to his career averages save for his shooting.

If the Spurs had more open spots maybe the Spurs would kick the tires on him.

tmtcsc
07-16-2014, 10:27 PM

No he didn't. Not yet anyways.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Jameer Nelson is probably the best PG available after Williams.

Decent numbers last year 12 ppg, 7 apg 2 T.O. His shooting numbers weren't great (39% FG and 35% 3pt) but actually his numbers were similar to his career averages save for his shooting.

If the Spurs had more open spots maybe the Spurs would kick the tires on him.Doubt anyone that good would want to sign to be a stand-in. Will probably just give Morris some guaranteed money through camp, but he might get a better offer somewhere.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-16-2014, 10:59 PM
He had it about 2 weeks ago. The time table is still March. Should have 20 games to get back into the swing of it.

Huh? They said 7 months from the operation, which makes it late-Jan/early-Feb, return, not March.

baseline bum
07-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Only PG alive I'd pick No Mo over is maybe Francis tbh.

Beaverfuzz
07-16-2014, 11:15 PM
Mo is with Dallas, but even if he was available. HELL FUCK NO! There's a big reason why Mo has bounced around from team to team...Spurs already had Stephen Jackson on the roster before, they don't need part II.

cd021
07-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Huh? They said 7 months from the operation, which makes it late-Jan/early-Feb, return, not March.

8 months, maybe sooner. Projected to return in march. Had the surgery on 7/3/14

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2116741-patty-mills-injury-updates-on-free-agent-guards-shoulder-and-recovery

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2014, 01:07 AM
At this point, it's probably going to be the three headed monster of Joseph, Beli, and Cotton.

Sean Cagney
07-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Mo is with Dallas, but even if he was available. HELL FUCK NO! There's a big reason why Mo has bounced around from team to team...Spurs already had Stephen Jackson on the roster before, they don't need part II.

Stephen Jackson was great in 03 playoffs and he shot 50% from 2 and 60% from three and 90% from FT in the 012 playoffs.......... I would say he did pretty well here when it counted TBH, he did hid due. Mo though? HELL NO, not a fan of that dude at all and glad we beat him last year in the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
07-17-2014, 01:19 AM
At this point, it's probably going to be the three headed monster of Joseph, Beli, and Cotton.Cotton has been pretty terrible after game one. At this point they would go with Morris if anyone.

exstatic
07-17-2014, 06:11 AM

You said 'March', and I'm not sure why. The conservative return to playing period is 7 months. If he had the surgery 2 weeks ago, then July is one of his full recovery months.

July
August
September
October
November
December
January

That would put his return at the beginning of February.

BillMc
07-17-2014, 07:55 AM
Yup, CoJo and Belli will cover for him and it will work out just fine.

This. And it will give them further time to figure out if they have future with CoJo.

Obi Juan Kenobi
07-17-2014, 08:01 AM
This. And it will give them further time to figure out if they have future with CoJo.

Totally agree hopefully Cory takes advantage of this opportunity in front of him to showcase what he's got if not for a future with the Spurs then a future in the NBA since that prospect doesn't look very promising right now at the moment...

anakha
07-17-2014, 08:02 AM
If Joseph can hold the fort and throw down the occasional posterization, I'll be satisfied.

Dex
07-17-2014, 08:48 AM
If Joseph can hold the fort and throw down the occasional posterization, I'll be satisfied.

I'm not worried about Parker and Joseph being able to carry the load at point guard if they are healthy.

The problem is if either one of them goes down for any significant time with injury *knock on wood*, the Spurs will then have to rely on guys like Manu or Beli to play the point (which is asking to get torched on defense), or they will have to rely on one of these young talents to fill some minutes.

MarCowMar
07-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Kyle Anderson would be a fun option to try as long as Beli or someone else can help bring the ball up the court.

xmas1997
07-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Cotton has been pretty terrible after game one. At this point they would go with Morris if anyone.

Unless they pick up a Vet sometime before training camp, I think they will go with backup PG by committee. In an interview with RC this was intimated.
What Anderson is showing so far makes this a lot easier to pull off IMHO.

stnick2261
07-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Kyle Anderson would be a fun option to try as long as Beli or someone else can help bring the ball up the court.

Kyle Anderson would be a fun option to be on the court with Joseph and Kawhi (to cover the opposing teams faster guards).

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-17-2014, 09:20 AM
You said 'March', and I'm not sure why. The conservative return to playing period is 7 months. If he had the surgery 2 weeks ago, then July is one of his full recovery months.

July
August
September
October
November
December
January

I already did that maths for him. He still didn't understand. :lol

Blake
07-17-2014, 09:21 AM
My sources say Steve Nash is on his way to San Antonio in a sign and trade to include Bonner and gallon of mootopia

Captivus
07-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Is not going to be easy to replace Mills...what he brings, no other player has.

Blake
07-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Is not going to be easy to replace Mills...what he brings, no other player has.

Every player has a towel

venitian navigator
07-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm not worried about play making skills, 'cause Mills had little to none. I'm worried about a short and fast guard that can take the casual (and not so causal) fast three point shoot, be quick on offense and defense, and sometime penetrate. Mills has been the best back up point we had in a long time and has been very important in many wins...not a so easy player to replace in our system, and Joseph haqs just some of his skills (maybe also a better player on defense) but lacks for sure the main one, alas the three point shooting...

cd021
07-17-2014, 09:54 AM

July
August
September
October
November
December
January

I know that but multiple reports have said March. Thats why I posted March twice.

cd021
07-17-2014, 09:56 AM
I already did that maths for him. He still didn't understand. :lol

I can count. I only put March because that's what multiple reports have stated. I found it a bit odd at first but they must know a bit more about it or they wouldn't have put March.

buttsR4rebounding
07-17-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm not worried about Parker and Joseph being able to carry the load at point guard if they are healthy.

The problem is if either one of them goes down for any significant time with injury *knock on wood*, the Spurs will then have to rely on guys like Manu or Beli to play the point (which is asking to get torched on defense), or they will have to rely on one of these young talents to fill some minutes.

You mean like when Tony was out for 2 weeks, or Manu was out for 3 weeks, or when the future FMVP was out for a month...the system will be fine. It will survive the loss of the Spurs' 8th man...:lobt2:

cd98
07-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Jimmer Fredette is a free agent that could probably be signed for the minimum. He's a great shooter, as good at Mills. He can especially pull up on the break, just like Mills. He's probably a little better creator than Mills. Mills can ball pressure, but other than that, he can't guard anyone. So why not Fredette? Sure he can't guard anyone, but he can give some ball pressure, not as good as Mills, but something. He's open up the court and be one of the best, if not the best, shooters on the team. He'd sell tickets, too.

myhc
07-17-2014, 06:48 PM

lol asian people. they talk funny. lol!

Obstructed_View
07-17-2014, 08:38 PM

Are you suggesting that Beli would be running the point instead of Anderson? Further, are you suggesting that both of them should be in the backcourt at the same time? Hope there are shot blockers behind them.

Chinook
07-17-2014, 08:54 PM
I like Morris. He has the size to play the two, so he wouldn't be useless once Mills returns.

littlecoyotecoin
07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
lol asian people. they talk funny. lol!

Lighten up, Francis. If he would have been from Boston and Patty's name was Carr instead of Mills, I could have said "Patty Cah". I struggle speaking my second language, as well. And, I promise when friends and family make fun of my pronunciation, I also whine like a little bitch, so I feel you bro.

TD 21
07-18-2014, 05:19 PM
I like Morris. He has the size to play the two, so he wouldn't be useless once Mills returns.

Actually, he would be, as he'd be redundant with Joseph. Even with Anderson technically filling the depth three role, once Mills returns, a wing defender in the mold of James/Young is the biggest need, in terms of depth. In terms of quality, fourth big is still the one area of need.

FireMicoHalili
07-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Austin Rivers for Dayres works financially but Rivers has had nothing significant in his career so far. I read about him wanting to lead the Pellies' bench but Tyreke Evans ended up spearheading the second unit, pushing him further the end of the bench. They lost both Holiday and Gordon at different points in the season and I've heard nothing spectacular about him even during that stretch.