PDA

View Full Version : NBA source is "very confident" Spurs will reach extension with Kawhi before season

SpursFan86
07-16-2014, 06:10 PM

Anyone familiar with this source? Curious how reliable it is.

MeloHype
07-16-2014, 06:12 PM
This is old news

Chinook
07-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Of course they could if they wanted to. The question is: Do they want to? I'm not sure.

SpursFan86
07-16-2014, 06:13 PM
This is old news

I mean I know many people expected it, but I don't remember hearing any actual reports of a near-certain extension.

Ron Swanson
07-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Waiting for tspence to share his information.

spurraider21
07-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Of course they could if they wanted to. The question is: Do they want to? I'm not sure.
maybe they want to before the cap goes up, which affects the size of max deals?

if ur going to correct me, please be gentle

Chinook
07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
maybe they want to before the cap goes up, which affects the size of max deals?

if ur going to correct me, please be gentle

If he gets a max contract, it won't matter if it's an extension or a new deal next year. It would be for the same amount. If the Spurs are willing to max out Kawhi, there is no downside to waiting save the possibility of hurting Kawhi's feelings.

ducks
07-16-2014, 06:42 PM
be a discount if he does but he may only sign tell 2017 to see new salary cap and then want the max
also be insurance on his part with his knees

illusioNtEk
07-16-2014, 06:45 PM
if Bosh is able to get a MAX Contract so can KAWHI!

Beaverfuzz
07-16-2014, 06:46 PM
ABA Source faxed me over an extremely confident facsimile stating that he believed Coffee Black would sign with the Spurs before they made the move to the NBA.

http://www.whudat.com/news/images/andre-3000-clarence-coffee-black-big.jpg

spurraider21
07-16-2014, 06:49 PM
If he gets a max contract, it won't matter if it's an extension or a new deal next year. It would be for the same amount. If the Spurs are willing to max out Kawhi, there is no downside to waiting save the possibility of hurting Kawhi's feelings.
if a max contract is for a certain % of the cap, does that mean the yearly salaries are fluid based on each season's cap?

exstatic
07-16-2014, 06:57 PM
if a max contract is for a certain % of the cap, does that mean the yearly salaries are fluid based on each season's cap?

No. You lock in based on the cap figure the year you sign. That's why LeBron only signed for 2.

Chinook
07-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Yes, and no. Yes, in the sense that the value of the first year of a max deal fluctuates. No in the sense that after the first year, a player is no longer bound to the max. And no in the sense that signing an extension still uses the cap for the first year of the deal for max calculations, not the year a player inks the extension.

dbreiden83080
07-16-2014, 07:03 PM
if Bosh is able to get a MAX Contract so can KAWHI!

He's not worth the Max now.. At 22 or 23 you should not be getting the max.. Tony is making 12 mil a year these days..

spurraider21
07-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Yes, and no. Yes, in the sense that the value of the first year of a max deal fluctuates. No in the sense that after the first year, a player is no longer bound to the max. And no in the sense that signing an extension still uses the cap for the first year of the deal for max calculations, not the year a player inks the extension.
:tu ah that clarifies it

jhfenton
07-16-2014, 08:41 PM
He's not worth the Max now.. At 22 or 23 you should not be getting the max.. Tony is making 12 mil a year these days..

Not all Max's are created equal. Kawhi is worth the Max because someone will offer him the Max. Look at Parsons.

As for an extension, I don't expect an extension. It makes no sense for the Spurs, unless Kawhi is anxious to sign a 4-year, sub-Max extension. A 5-year extension has to be for the Max and reduces the Spurs' cap flexibility next summer, replacing his $4MM cap hold with his new 8-figure salary.

More likely is a new 5-year agreement next summer for somewhere between the Max the Spurs could pay him and the Max another team could pay him.

illusioNtEk
07-16-2014, 08:43 PM

yes but, we need to lock him up or eles other teams will be MORE THEN happy to offer a max for him.

I mean i'd say he is the best defender in the NBA

jon123spurs
07-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Ask the legend TSpence26. Tbh

Chinook
07-16-2014, 09:03 PM
I think an $80M/5 deal next summer makes the most sense for both sides. The Spurs get Leonard at a slight discount, and Kawhi gets about $11 Million more than he could get anywhere else.

TheGoldStandard
07-16-2014, 09:09 PM
What if Kawhi wants a taste of real max money when the salary cap is supposed to skyrocket.. do you think he'll opt for a one year deal with San Antonio just to be apart of that climate or takes the 5 year deal next summer?

DesignatedT
07-16-2014, 09:37 PM
If Leonard wants the extension now then give it to him. If he's cool with playing it out one more year then do that. Just don't so anything to jeopardize the relationship.

manu2timdynasty
07-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Waiting for tspence to share his information.

Hopoff

benstanfield
07-16-2014, 11:56 PM
In the next few years the NBA is renegotiating its TV deals, which will probably double the NBA's TV revenue.

A smart GM would be locking up young players to long term deals that will become steals in years 3-5. Sign Parker, Leonard, Green to 5 year deals and watch the salary cap explode in the middle of their contract.

bluebellmaniac
07-17-2014, 12:42 AM
If Leonard wants the extension now then give it to him. If he's cool with playing it out one more year then do that. Just don't so anything to jeopardize the relationship.

I believe it comes down to having flexibility in signing one or two free agents. If we sign Kawhi to an extension now, we would lose the cap space for any free agents. By waiting, his cap hold is only $7.2M, thus freeing up a lot more money for FA signings. We should have cap room if Manu retires. If TD re-signs for another one or two years, who knows, maybe he discounts it even more. So we could have phenomenal depth by waiting. Kawhi would also be a RFA, so we are keeping him regardless. There is no chance we lose him. Patience is a virtue and it will pay off to wait. Kawhi knows this and the FO knows this.

Arcadian
07-17-2014, 12:47 AM
The Spurs are as good at signing players as any other franchise. It's simple: Play for the Spurs, work with great coaches in a great system, win championships and awards. Who wouldn't want to do that?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-17-2014, 12:55 AM

Who determines 'should?' You?

Fact is that young, proven talent is the most sought after commodity in sport and basketball is no different. If he were to hit the open market, I imagine he would receive a bevy of max offers.

The market dictates worth.

Sean Cagney
07-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Ask the legend TSpence26. Tbh

Lets not.......

SpursFan86
07-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Who determines 'should?' You?

Fact is that young, proven talent is the most sought after commodity in sport and basketball is no different. If he were to hit the open market, I imagine he would receive a bevy of max offers.

Exactly. If guys like Gordon Hayward and Chandler Parsons are getting max offers, then I sure as hell bet Kawhi will as well.

ajh18
07-17-2014, 02:35 AM
I think an $80M/5 deal next summer makes the most sense for both sides. The Spurs get Leonard at a slight discount, and Kawhi gets about $11 Million more than he could get anywhere else.

Forgive my ignorance on the salary cap ins-and-outs, but how would this be getting Leonard at a discount? Doesn't a five-year designated player extension require the contract to be for the max, regardless?

Or are you just saying in comparison to what the contract would be post-tv deal?

Chinook
07-17-2014, 03:10 AM
Forgive my ignorance on the salary cap ins-and-outs, but how would this be getting Leonard at a discount? Doesn't a five-year designated player extension require the contract to be for the max, regardless?

Or are you just saying in comparison to what the contract would be post-tv deal?

The designation is only for extensions. A new contract next summer can be for anywhere from one to five years and start at any salary below the max.

TampaDude
07-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Pay the man. Do not let him get away!

exstatic
07-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Pay the man. Do not let him get away!

Kawhi's not going ANYWHERE.

BillMc
07-17-2014, 08:30 AM

This. I can't remember the last time the Spurs lost one of their own when they wanted to keep him. A few grey-beards here my cite a few examples but it doesn't happen often and won't with Leonard.

Darkwaters
07-17-2014, 08:48 AM
ABA Source faxed me over an extremely confident facsimile stating that he believed Coffee Black would sign with the Spurs before they made the move to the NBA.

http://www.whudat.com/news/images/andre-3000-clarence-coffee-black-big.jpg

Who cares? He'll probably just switch teams at halftime again!

Old School 44
07-17-2014, 10:53 AM
The Spurs are as good at signing players as any other franchise. It's simple: Play for the Spurs, work with great coaches in a great system, win championships and awards. Who wouldn't want to do that? Pau Gasol

TampaDude
07-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Except maybe to the Finals a few more times. :hat

Thomas82
07-17-2014, 03:16 PM
The Spurs are as good at signing players as any other franchise. It's simple: Play for the Spurs, work with great coaches in a great system, win championships and awards. Who wouldn't want to do that?

Mostly every player that chose another team for more money, bigger role etc. are the ones that didn't want. The Spurs are everything players say they want in a team, but when the get the opportunity to play for the Spurs, they turn it down because it's not good enough for them.

Arcadian
07-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Mostly every player that chose another team for more money, bigger role etc. are the ones that didn't want. The Spurs are everything players say they want in a team, but when the get the opportunity to play for the Spurs, they turn it down because it's not good enough for them.

:lol Pity for them.

cjw
07-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Pau Gasol

He's making about 50% more than the Spurs could have paid him...

baseline bum
07-17-2014, 05:22 PM
There is no way Leonard is getting anything but the max. The only question is if it's a 5 year deal with 7.5% raises or a 4 year deal with 4.5% raises. But either way, that first year is going to be 25% of the cap.

Chinook
07-17-2014, 05:27 PM
There is no way Leonard is getting anything but the max. The only question is if it's a 5 year deal with 7.5% raises or a 4 year deal with 4.5% raises. But either way, that first year is going to be 25% of the cap.

The difference between those two contracts will be more than $20 Million, and the APY difference will be at least a million. There's plenty of room to negotiate.

spursfan4ever
07-17-2014, 05:29 PM

Every FA Spurs (Paul Gasol) tried to land these past couple of weeks.

elbamba
07-17-2014, 05:30 PM
I love Kawhi but he is not a max player. He has the potential to be. His regular season numbers of 12.8 and 6.2 on 52% shooting are not max numbers. Hell, his play off numbers were only 14.3 and 6.7.

I get that what he brings to the table does not show up in the stats. The Spurs went on their huge run after the ASG when he came back from injury.

That said, if they give him max money, good for him.

baseline bum
07-17-2014, 05:38 PM
I love Kawhi but he is not a max player. He has the potential to be. His regular season numbers of 12.8 and 6.2 on 52% shooting are not max numbers. Hell, his play off numbers were only 14.3 and 6.7.

I get that what he brings to the table does not show up in the stats. The Spurs went on their huge run after the ASG when he came back from injury.

That said, if they give him max money, good for him.

He is way better than Gordon Hayward, who just got a 4 year max contract with 4.5% raises.

dbreiden83080
07-17-2014, 06:06 PM

You have no clue what the market is for him.. And Teams overpay for players all the time that does not mean you break the bank for them out of fear.. KL is damn good but young and needs more time to develop. I would not give him max money right now when his offensive game needs so much work and consistency. If there is a team out there ready to offer a player putting up 12 PPG a max deal then go right ahead..

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Some Spurs fans hate to see young black men get paid.

ducks
07-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 58m

RT Chris_Broussard: Sources: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 mil. Sides far apart

not sure what spur fan does not think leonard is worth the max especially giving up usa basketball to get his body proper rest

Mugen
07-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Get yo money, Whi Whi.

dbreiden83080
07-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine · 58m

RT Chris_Broussard: Sources: Suns offered Eric Bledsoe 4-year, $48 million contract. Bledsoe wants max of 5 years, $80 mil. Sides far apart

not sure what spur fan does not think leonard is worth the max especially giving up usa basketball to get his body proper rest

If the Spurs lost game 7 to Dallas are we here talking about KL being a max player? This prisoner of the moment stuff is a tad dangerous..

ducks
07-17-2014, 06:49 PM
playoffs is where players make the money
just ask danny green when he is a fa and he gets to the finals next year and makes those threes

ducks
07-17-2014, 06:52 PM
leonard is a 2 way player people
he guarded Durant and James and still was 14.3 6.7 guy
name one player other then him that could do that

oh and if he was not a spur and had plays actually called for him his numbers would be higher
spurs are stacked and that is why all the players numbers stats would be more on other teams

dbreiden83080
07-17-2014, 06:53 PM
playoffs is where players make the money
just ask danny green when he is a fa and he gets to the finals next year and makes those threes

Did he really have a great playoffs? He didn't even have a great finals if you count games 1 and 2.. Lets face it right now KL is a good player on the way up for sure but max dollars now.. Meh..

ducks
07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
if I am leonard I ask for the max and sign long term for 5 years with the 7.5 raises and if not three with those raises and when the tv contract kicks in look out.
more money for leonard if he plays better like everyone is betting on and is still healthy

Mugen
07-17-2014, 06:54 PM
:lol Hayward/Parsons just got PAAAAAAAAAAAID. Scrubs like Bledsoe are about to be paid. Kirby is the highest paid player in the league....

Fuck anybody that thinks Kawhi doesn't deserve the max tbh....

ducks
07-17-2014, 07:01 PM
rember spurs were a .500 team without leonard in the regular season
had winning records with anyone else out

dbreiden83080
07-17-2014, 07:03 PM
:lol Hayward/Parsons just got PAAAAAAAAAAAID. Scrubs like Bledsoe are about to be paid. Kirby is the highest paid player in the league....

Fuck anybody that thinks Kawhi doesn't deserve the max tbh....

Lets just say Tony may be a tad pissed if KL is making close to 20 mil a year when he is getting 12.. And I would not blame him.. TD is a top 10 all time player making 10.. This team has been built the last number of years on the premise of the star players taking less so the team can add more around them..

SpursFan86
07-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Lets just say Tony may be a tad pissed if KL is making close to 20 mil a year when he is getting 12.. And I would not blame him.. TD is a top 10 all time player making 10.. This team has been built the last number of years on the premise of the star players taking less so the team can add more around them..

TD is the 4th highest-earning NBA player of all-time. Dude has made over $200 million in his career. Him taking a paycut isn't the same as Kawhi taking a paycut.

And Kawhi is more important to this team than Tony at this point and will be going forward. Speaking solely from an on-court perspective, obviously.

Mugen
Tim was making max money for most of his career. TP's deal was the result of a looming lockout.

I don't think anybody else on the team would be mad at the Finals MVP, who isn't even in his prime yet, for getting the contract that he's earned tbh. At least I'd hope not.

moisaenz
Haha people discussing if Kawhi is a max player or not. The market determines that.

SpursFan86
07-17-2014, 07:08 PM
The market determines that.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, this is what it comes down to. Kawhi will get max offers from at least a few teams. You may think it's the dumbest thing in the world, but the market for players of Kawhi's caliber says he's worth max money.

moisaenz
07-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Yeah although there is a cap, we are still not a communist country.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
You have no clue what the market is for him.. And Teams overpay for players all the time that does not mean you break the bank for them out of fear.. KL is damn good but young and needs more time to develop. I would not give him max money right now when his offensive game needs so much work and consistency. If there is a team out there ready to offer a player putting up 12 PPG a max deal then go right ahead..

He is way better than Gordon Hayward, who just got a 4 year max contract with 4.5% raises.

exstatic
07-17-2014, 08:04 PM
If the Spurs lost game 7 to Dallas are we here talking about KL being a max player? This prisoner of the moment stuff is a tad dangerous..

I can play that game, too. If Allen's 2013 shot hits the rim and goes out of bounds, is Kawhi a 2 time Finals MVP?

Baam
07-17-2014, 08:07 PM
I can play that game, too. If Allen's 2013 shot hits the rim and goes out of bounds, is Kawhi a 2 time Finals MVP?

Green is most likely the 2013 fmvp which would kinda change the way we look at that award...

dbreiden83080
07-17-2014, 08:56 PM
TD is the 4th highest-earning NBA player of all-time. Dude has made over $200 million in his career. Him taking a paycut isn't the same as Kawhi taking a paycut.

And Kawhi is more important to this team than Tony at this point and will be going forward. Speaking solely from an on-court perspective, obviously.

TD was making max money when he was the best player in the NBA.. Most of his max years he was dominant. Plus the CBA was different then in terms of more years and dollars committed.. There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.

dbreiden83080
07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

No TD wins it in 2013..

SpursFan86
07-17-2014, 09:05 PM
There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.

Sure there is: the current market says Kawhi is worth max money. San Antonio isn't a desirable destination for FAs; letting Kawhi walk because we don't want to pay him (despite having his bird rights) would be a mistake.

It's also disingenuous to point out Kawhi's box score numbers. Pop managed his minutes (too much, IMO, but that's a different discussion for another topic) and he was the 4th option behind the Big 3. The Big 3 isn't going to be around much longer. You seriously think Kawhi is still going to average 12 ppg once Tim/Manu retire and Tony is no longer an all-star? Not to mention Kawhi's biggest strength, his defense, doesn't show up in the box score.

TXstbobcat
07-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Would you rather pay Leonard Max money or spend the next 15 years begging overrated players who have no intention of signing with the Spurs? Lock Leonard up and keep him a spur.

Baam
07-17-2014, 09:55 PM
TD was making max money when he was the best player in the NBA.. Most of his max years he was dominant. Plus the CBA was different then in terms of more years and dollars committed.. There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.

This is true, talked about that already... Dont see how you can give significantly more money to Kawhi than to TP...

exstatic
07-17-2014, 10:05 PM
This is true, talked about that already... Dont see how you can give significantly more money to Kawhi than to TP...

Kawhi is 23. TP is 32. They're on opposite career trajectories. Besides, TP is up for renewal next summer with a likely higher cap.

Sentiment can't enter into it. I'm sure TP would rather KEEP Kawhi than lose him to an unmatched MAX offer.

The players that come after you always make more than you and your peer group. Magic and Bird made shit. Jordan and Shaq were really the first ones to cash in.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2014, 10:12 PM
I think Kawhi cares about money about as much as his teammates do. Don't really care what the numbers are, but I'm fairly certain that it'll be done quietly and quickly just like everyone else.

moisaenz
07-17-2014, 10:22 PM
is not about justification... is about do you want to keep him around or not? if nobody offers him max money then he is not worth max money...

SpursFan86
07-17-2014, 10:31 PM
is not about justification... is about do you want to keep him around or not? if nobody offers him max money then he is not worth max money...

What in the world makes you think Parsons and Hayward can get max offers, but not FMVP Kawhi Leonard?

Man In Black
07-18-2014, 02:47 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10514740_649420038481030_5382324989915645815_n.jpg

dabom
07-18-2014, 03:54 AM
There's a lot of benefits to playing with the spurs. 50 win seasons. Tons of rest. Playoffs guaranteed. Player Development is a priority. A chance to win rings every year.
I believe Kawhi gets a lil below the max. The spurs benefit from him and he benefits from the spurs.

Mel_13
07-18-2014, 05:20 AM
There is no justification for giving KL max money with Tony making 12 mil a year.. None whatsoever.

Tony's salary will have zero impact on the offers that Kawhi will command from other teams.

If the Spurs aren't willing to go well above 12M per year for Kawhi, they'd better have plans to replace him or simply hope that he's willing to give them a substantial discount.

dabom
07-18-2014, 05:45 AM
People also need to view this from Kawhi's position. Does he care more about money or winning? When you get a ring, you want another. It's a good viscous cycle, and Kawhi might be infected.
If he really wanted too, he can take a max contract from any team. I do think he is worth it, but it won't be beneficial for a contending team to take that much cap space,
especially for a small market team like the Spurs. A minor pay cut in the 3mil range might be more beneficial for him and the Spurs.
Now if he does get a max contract from the Spurs, I expect him to play 40plus minutes a game.

100%duncan
Kawhi can be max-level but if we are being fair, not yet. But tbh, with Hayward and Parsons getting paid that shit-ton of money, I would be mad if Kawhi gets low-balled tbh.

dabom
repost

Rito3d30
07-18-2014, 05:51 AM
He's going to get his money
the only uncertainty is from who

99 Problems
07-18-2014, 06:06 AM
We are a rare animal at Spurs. Only players who are serious about winning come here. Hence very few come. The whole league is full of "yer I want to be on a winner" worthless words guys who are blinded by $. Kawhi looks like a guy who wants to win tbh.

SpursDynasty21
07-18-2014, 08:38 AM
I think the Spurs will sign Kawhi Leonard, and I do think that he is worth a max deal.

elbamba
07-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Kawhi can be max-level but if we are being fair, not yet. But tbh, with Hayward and Parsons getting paid that shit-ton of money, I would be mad if Kawhi gets low-balled tbh.

I couldn't agree more. Neither Parsons or Hayward is worth Kawhi's value. Unfortunately, the NBA is full of idiots who pay these guys 15 million to be mediocre. Hell, Ariza just got 8 million a year from a team that shipped him out three years ago. Kawhi is probably worth 12-15 million based on his production. But I get that the market says he is a max player. If he gets the max, I won't be mad. Spurs don't win a championship without him this past season. But I also don't think we when a championship without about 6 specific players on the team this year as well.

daslicer
07-18-2014, 09:13 AM
I don't think Kawhi will go for anything less than the max even though other spurs in the past Parker,Manu got a little less than the max. You also forget Kawhi is American born unlike those two other guys so its highly unlikely he is going to give the spurs a discount. I don't think Kawhi is worth the max but since guys like Hayward and Parsons are getting overpaid he will get it just due to the demands of the market.

will_spurs
07-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Kawhi definitely deserves max money, just in the same way Tony did when he got his FMVP. Tony turned down max money just the same way Tim and Manu took paycuts.

It's not because Kawhi deserves max money that the Spurs are going to sign him for that much. The Spurs tend to be pretty good at re-signing their players for "decent" contracts, and that usually comes from the fact that the Spurs are good at drafting players with the right character, who value winning and team spirit over $$$.

This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Kawhi stay in SA for less than the max. Especially after what he said after winning his FMVP, to the tune of "my agent will talk to the Spurs and I'm sure they'll agree on something fair and I'm not worried in the least about it".

dabom
07-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Kawhi definitely deserves max money, just in the same way Tony did when he got his FMVP. Tony turned down max money just the same way Tim and Manu took paycuts.

It's not because Kawhi deserves max money that the Spurs are going to sign him for that much. The Spurs tend to be pretty good at re-signing their players for "decent" contracts, and that usually comes from the fact that the Spurs are good at drafting players with the right character, who value winning and team spirit over $$$.

This is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Kawhi stay in SA for less than the max. Especially after what he said after winning his FMVP, to the tune of "my agent will talk to the Spurs and I'm sure they'll agree on something fair and I'm not worried in the least about it".

I agree.

Mel_13
07-18-2014, 10:03 AM

That's probably the NBA source cited in the tweet in post#1.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Spurs should wait to resign Kawhi next year. Its most beneficial for them being they can offer a 5 year contract at any salary.

I don't see the Spurs offering him the max. He is not worth the max. He still has a lot to prove. I see the Spurs offering him a 5 year deal worth 70mil next year and him accepting it.

He is a guy that knows his roots and he knows he wouldn't even be in this circumstance if not for Pop and Chip coaching him to be the player he is today. Being the highest paid player of the team, Kawhi will humbly accept that. Not all Americans are money hungry idiots.

Kawhi is around guys that took less to be with the Spurs. Even Diaw could have gotten a 9-10 mil a year deal this year. I thought it was Bogus when someone tweeted that is what he wanted. That is probably what other teams offered. But he stayed for FMV and honestly I don't think he even took any other teams calls. I see the same scenario playing out with Kawhi.

will_spurs
07-18-2014, 10:53 AM
That's probably the NBA source cited in the tweet in post#1.

Kawhi said that in an interview after the Finals, I'll try to find the video.

Mel_13
07-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Kawhi said that in an interview after the Finals, I'll try to find the video.

I remember the interview.

My comment was meant to be a sarcastic jab at the quality of the "NBA sources" in so many of these tweets. In other words, the guy responsible for the tweet watched the Kawhi interview and the only "NBA source" for his tweet is Kawhi's own words.

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2014, 11:05 AM

I've said the same numerous times in various threads in regards to Leonard and his extension.

I agree.

dbreiden83080
07-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Tony's salary will have zero impact on the offers that Kawhi will command from other teams.

If the Spurs aren't willing to go well above 12M per year for Kawhi, they'd better have plans to replace him or simply hope that he's willing to give them a substantial discount.

I don't think he is worth way above 12 mil right now he is a young player on the rise with a lot to prove. To me you get those max type deals once you have proven to be a franchise player.. There are teams out there willing to pay that beforehand but that doesn't make it a smart move. I would seriously roll the dice and see what kind of offers he gets and if someone is willing to greatly overpay him now than it's a tough call at least IMO.. These same people that are freaked out about losing him now in 3 years time with Tim and Manu and maybe even Tony gone will be screaming about KL salary if his offensive game isn't up to par.

dbreiden83080
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
I've said the same numerous times in various threads in regards to Leonard and his extension.

I agree.

He is due to make 2.9 mil next year.. Spurs could offer him 4 years at 40 mil and that would be one hell of a raise..

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2014, 12:41 PM
He is due to make 2.9 mil next year.. Spurs could offer him 4 years at 40 mil and that would be one hell of a raise..

Still think that's too low.

I think 4/50 would be about right. IMO.

Mel_13
07-18-2014, 12:46 PM
I don't think he is worth way above 12 mil right now he is a young player on the rise with a lot to prove. To me you get those max type deals once you have proven to be a franchise player.. There are teams out there willing to pay that beforehand but that doesn't make it a smart move. I would seriously roll the dice and see what kind of offers he gets and if someone is willing to greatly overpay him now than it's a tough call at least IMO.. These same people that are freaked out about losing him now in 3 years time with Tim and Manu and maybe even Tony gone will be screaming about KL salary if his offensive game isn't up to par.

I don't have any issue with anyone saying that they're ok with the Spurs letting Kawhi walk if he receives an offer above a certain level, 12M a year in your case.

Arguing that he won't command a max offer next summer, after seeing the offers for Hayward and Parsons this summer, just flies in the face of the facts. The major forces affecting the market make a max offer for Kawhi even more likely next summer than it would have been this summer, the most significant being yet another large increase in the salary cap. There will simply be even more money in next summer's market.

TheGoldStandard
07-18-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't have any issue with anyone saying that they're ok with the Spurs letting Kawhi walk if he receives an offer above a certain level, 12M a year in your case.

Arguing that he won't command a max offer next summer, after seeing the offers for Hayward and Parsons this summer, just flies in the face of the facts. The major forces affecting the market make a max offer for Kawhi even more likely next summer than it would have been this summer, the most significant being yet another large increase in the salary cap. There will simply be even more money in next summer's market.

Exactly, there will be a plethora of teams who are clearing cap space to try to land a FA and they'll throw a boat load towards Kawhi.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Arguing that he won't command a max offer next summer, after seeing the offers for Hayward and Parsons this summer, just flies in the face of the facts.

He won't, for one simple reason: He'll likely be locked up before training camp even starts.

Mel_13
07-18-2014, 01:13 PM
He won't, for one simple reason: He'll likely be locked up before training camp even starts.

That's entirely possible.

So, do you think he gets 5 years for the max, or 4 years for less than the max?

DPG21920
07-18-2014, 02:27 PM
The ladder.

Yes that was on purpose.

wildchild
07-18-2014, 02:50 PM

You know about positional scarcity?

I can't wait to see other teams will offer him the max/4years deal next offseason. Teams like Lakers and Nets obviously don't care about being over the salary cap and they don't have a great/young SF like Kawhi.
Not only them, 26 teams of the league don't have that two-way player type in that position.

Sure, the Spurs'll match the offer (4 years and the last year player option like Love contract?) and then after three years Leonard will be able to sign with any team he chooses when Tim and Pop are gone.

If the Spurs aren't willing to offer Kawhi the 5 years deal this summer is because they're looking for another player in the FA next offseason to replace him as the face of the franchise.

But if the Spurs want Leonard to be a Spur for life, give him the max/5y deal, keep him happy and he'll never leave us.

TheGreatYacht
07-19-2014, 06:08 AM
4yr/60M

Proxy
07-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Y1 16.63
Y2 17.87
Y3 19.12
Y4 20.37
Y5 21.61

illusioNtEk
07-19-2014, 06:13 PM

are you freaking kidding me? do you want to loose him or what?

Ice009
07-19-2014, 07:44 PM

Are you joking or what? What a ridiculous low ball offer that would be to start the negotiations off. Do you want Kawhi's people pissed off from the get go? If he wants to take a pay cut and help the Spurs out, I seriously doubt it's going to be that low of a number.

Chinook
07-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Again, I am one of the people who thinks Kawhi is overrated and has a lower ceiling, and even I think maxing him out is a no-brainer. It's just not worth the money to lose him. The Big Three have taken pay cuts precisely so the Spurs could pay market value for their teammates. It would be an insult to them to not pay Kawhi.

dbreiden83080
07-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Are you joking or what? What a ridiculous low ball offer that would be to start the negotiations off. Do you want Kawhi's people pissed off from the get go? If he wants to take a pay cut and help the Spurs out, I seriously doubt it's going to be that low of a number.

Is 12 mil a lowball offer? It's what our all star former finals MVP pg is currently making. I'm sure tony will be thrilled to hear this guy is raking in 20 mil 3 years into his tenure..

SpursFan86
07-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Is 12 mil a lowball offer? It's what our all star former finals MVP pg is currently making. I'm sure tony will be thrilled to hear this guy is raking in 20 mil 3 years into his tenure..

Splitter made more money than Manu last year. Didn't seem to cause too many problems.

exstatic
07-19-2014, 10:20 PM

You're still thinking it's about what you think or what Tony thinks or whatever. It's about what he can get on the open market, period.

dbreiden83080
07-19-2014, 10:58 PM
You're still thinking it's about what you think or what Tony thinks or whatever. It's about what he can get on the open market, period.

Nobody knows that until he hits it.. If he was offered a 4 year 48 mil deal by the spurs I think he'd probably sign it.. And if a team like Houston will pay him 20 mil now they can have him. Kl is not leading this team to chips. He doesn't have that level of talent.. He is a Scottie not a Jordan..

ducks
07-19-2014, 11:05 PM
you think james is worth the max?

illusioNtEk
07-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Nobody knows that until he hits it.. If he was offered a 4 year 48 mil deal by the spurs I think he'd probably sign it.. And if a team like Houston will pay him 20 mil now they can have him. Kl is not leading this team to chips. He doesn't have that level of talent.. He is a Scottie not a Jordan..

you must be fucking blind or not watch any spurs games. KL makes the spurs an elite team. Without his defense and scoring ability the Spurs would not be able to have won the championship.

I think a 5 year 80 million would be fair contract.

If not he will be a free agent in 2015 and there will be teams willing to offer max money.

Oh and one more thing... Jordan wouldn't be what he is without Scottie.

dbreiden83080
07-19-2014, 11:15 PM
you must be fucking blind or not watch any spurs games. KL makes the spurs an elite team. Without his defense and scoring ability the Spurs would not be able to have won the championship.

I think a 5 year 80 million would be fair contract.

If not he will be a free agent in 2015 and there will be teams willing to offer max money.

Oh and one more thing... Jordan wouldn't be what he is without Scottie.

I'm talking about the future not now. He is not a franchise level guy. If you think years from now the spurs are going up against durant and Westbrook with kl as the main piece and winning you are completely delusional..

Ice009
07-19-2014, 11:22 PM

Are you still defending that offer? I'm not even going to respond with any kind of reasoning. If you can't understand free agency and what other players are getting on the open market, then I don't know think there's anything more anyone can tell you.

barbacoataco
07-19-2014, 11:35 PM
They have to make a strong offer and wrap him up. Personally, I'm a little worried about his knees and question his durability. But they might as well lock him up and roll the dice.

Ice009
07-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Personally, I'd like him to take a little less than the max if it will help the Spurs in getting better players around him, but I wouldn't low ball him and ask him to take a lot less than guys like Chandler Parsons and Gordon Hayward got this off-season.

That's the quickest way to piss off Kawhi and his agent.

Prime Time
07-19-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm talking about the future not now. He is not a franchise level guy. If you think years from now the spurs are going up against durant and Westbrook with kl as the main piece and winning you are completely delusional..
Nostradamus predicting Kawhi's career. I assume back in 2012 you'd knew he'd win Finals MVP at age 22 as well, right?

You don't win the Finals MVP at a historically young age and not get the max. I can't believe how many people are arguing this.

If Kawhi signs for anything less, it was on his terms.

exstatic
07-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Kawhi grew up in the Inland Empire of SoCal. He idolized Shaquille and Kobe, and has said that he incorporated elements of both of their games into his. The Lakers will have a shit pot of money again next year. Do the math. They WILL drop a MAX offer sheet on him if he hits the market next summer.

exstatic
07-20-2014, 11:32 AM
They have to make a strong offer and wrap him up. Personally, I'm a little worried about his knees and question his durability. But they might as well lock him up and roll the dice.

There is nothing at all wrong with his knees and never has been.

Mnky
07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Nostradamus predicting Kawhi's career. I assume back in 2012 you'd knew he'd win Finals MVP at age 22 as well, right?

You don't win the Finals MVP at a historically young age and not get the max. I can't believe how many people are arguing this.

If Kawhi signs for anything less, it was on his terms.

People forget that Kawhii should have been a top 10 pick as well. The Jazz passed on him twice with two top 15 picks.. wasn't it? The Spurs were extremely lucky to be in the position to have a piece the Pacers were in need of, and to have him fall so far. They should have never..realistically came close to drafting Leonard without losing someone like a Manu.

One of the reasons people didn't pick him up was the worry of his shot translating on the pro level. Now...
Kawhi is crazy efficient when he's on. He was keeping up with Lebron James scoring in game 3 and 4, taking Half the amount of shots with the Heat actually focusing on him. That's ridiculous.

dabom
07-20-2014, 11:51 AM
People forget that Kawhii should have been a top 10 pick as well. The Jazz passed on him twice with two top 15 picks.. wasn't it? The Spurs were extremely lucky to be in the position to have a piece the Pacers were in need of, and to have him fall so far. They should have never..realistically came close to drafting Leonard without losing someone like a Manu.

One of the reasons people didn't pick him up was the worry of his shot translating on the pro level. Now...
Kawhi is crazy efficient when he's on. He was keeping up with Lebron James scoring in game 3 and 4, taking Half the amount of shots with the Heat actually focusing on him. That's ridiculous.

Comparing a top 10 not even a top 3 or nothing to 2011 manu is absurd.

hitmantb
07-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Spurs was headed for a Utah Jazz 1998 ending after the series was tied 1-1 going into Miami.

Kawhi basically completely canceled out LeBron next three games, offense/defense/crazy EFFICIENCY, he carried the Spurs and changed the series. Anyone who can cancel out LeBron for three straight games on the biggest stage is going to get paid.

If Parsons can get 15 million a year, finals MVP is getting a max for sure. If Kawhi leaves a couple of million on the table as a courtesy for Spurs family and appreciate of Pop, good for him, but max is fair price to pay for a finals MVP period.

Mnky
07-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Comparing a top 10 not even a top 3 or nothing to 2011 manu is absurd.

That wasn't a comparison. I was referring to how little the Spurs gave up, and what most would have to give up in the same circumstance. Manu was the only significant trade asset at the time that was notable. Getting the pick for George Hill was a steal. A steal to pick a top 10 pick that shouldn't have been there. I was pointing out how incredibly lucky the Spurs were for all this to happen.

Had nothing to do with comparison of players.

ajh18
07-20-2014, 08:01 PM
That wasn't a comparison. I was referring to how little the Spurs gave up, and what most would have to give up in the same circumstance. Manu was the only significant trade asset at the time that was notable. Getting the pick for George Hill was a steal. A steal to pick a top 10 pick that shouldn't have been there. I was pointing out how incredibly lucky the Spurs were for all this to happen.

Had nothing to do with comparison of players.

Spurs were lucky, but made a lot of that luck themselves.

-No one new who Hill was, or what IUPUI was, when we drafted him. People all over the board were screaming to draft a PG from a bigger-name school. The Spurs recognized the potential, and developed his talent to the point where another team was willing to trade a pick at 15 for someone we drafted at 26.

-It's hardly as if Kawhi was the only borderline top-ten pick to fall into the teens over the last several years. Most of those don't pan out. Spurs recognized the potential and made the deal, trading a proven rotation player for an unproven rookie who had dropped in the draft.

Essentially, the Spurs scouting and player development teams turned a 26th pick into a player most would now call a top-3 pick in his respective draft. That's talent, not just luck.

exstatic
07-20-2014, 08:28 PM

-No one new who Hill was, or what IUPUI was, when we drafted him. People all over the board were screaming to draft a PG from a bigger-name school. The Spurs recognized the potential, and developed his talent to the point where another team was willing to trade a pick at 15 for someone we drafted at 26.

-It's hardly as if Kawhi was the only borderline top-ten pick to fall into the teens over the last several years. Most of those don't pan out. Spurs recognized the potential and made the deal, trading a proven rotation player for an unproven rookie who had dropped in the draft.

Essentially, the Spurs scouting and player development teams turned a 26th pick into a player most would now call a top-3 pick in his respective draft. That's talent, not just luck.

It wasn't lucky that they recognized and took advantage of a great situation, but it was EXTREMELY lucky that Kawhi fell to 15, when some sites had him as high as #6.

Ice009
07-20-2014, 08:31 PM
It wasn't lucky that they recognized and took advantage of a great situation, but it was EXTREMELY lucky that Kawhi fell to 15, when some sites had him as high as #6.

Exactly.

wildchild
07-21-2014, 08:01 AM

Agree.

"Before that draft, Leonard had to slow down his workout schedule with an Achilles and ankle injury, forcing him to skip a late June session with the Milwaukee Bucks. Between the poor shooting and those injury doubts, there was an uneasiness of teams on draft night. This gave the Spurs a chance"
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-kawhi-leonard-revived-the-spurs--fading-dynasty-081409439.html

Mnky
07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

The Spurs are an amazing front office, but the Kawhii thing was very lucky. Talent had little to do with the way things went down unless they convinced all the other tems exactly how to draft so the perfect sceenario would play out for them.

Getting Kawhii was like getting Duncan. Dominoes just fell in place. Granted, the talented front office made the most of the opportunity.

spurraider21
07-21-2014, 12:23 PM
there aren't a lot of guys in the NBA who can match up against LeBron and not look like they're helpless. keep kawhi. the guy is still what, 22?

ajh18
07-21-2014, 08:10 PM
The Spurs are an amazing front office, but the Kawhii thing was very lucky. Talent had little to do with the way things went down unless they convinced all the other tems exactly how to draft so the perfect sceenario would play out for them.

Getting Kawhii was like getting Duncan. Dominoes just fell in place. Granted, the talented front office made the most of the opportunity.

I guess the distinction I'm getting at is the following:

I'm looking at "luck" as having an opportunity to do something that any team would do, but circumstances make it so that it benefits you. The ping-pong balls letting the Spurs pick first and get D-Rob and Tim was good luck. Any team would have taken those two players, but we were lucky enough to be the team that was able to.

I'm attributing the Kawhi situation to our front office's "skill" or "talent" because lots of other teams could have done what the Spurs did, but for whatever reason chose not to. To me, that lack of foresight on their part and ability to take advantage on our part goes to the skill of the front office.

Dex
07-21-2014, 08:23 PM
there aren't a lot of guys in the NBA who can match up against LeBron and not look like they're helpless. keep kawhi. the guy is still what, 22?

Kawhi outplayed Lebron James in the last 3 games of the 2014 NBA Finals. And that's with Lebron playing at an extremely high level.

You do what it takes to lock him up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2014, 08:47 PM
Kawhi is clearly going to be the leader of the next generation of Spurs basketball. If we have to pay him the max we will, and feel good about it at the same time. All that remains to be decided is the details.

TheGreatYacht
07-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Spurs should've offered the extension a long time ago. Before his agent saw Hayward, Parsons, and Kyrie get overpaid

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Spurs should've offered the extension a long time ago. Before his agent saw Hayward, Parsons, and Kyrie get overpaid

How do you know they didn't?

Would not have mattered anyway. Everyone, and particularly Kawhi's agent, could see the upward trajectory he has been on for at least two years now (and really since 40 games into his rookie year). He was always going to get a big payday.

I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about giving Kawhi the max? We have a well constructed cap sheet and plenty of money to offer him, while he is a worthy recipient.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-22-2014, 03:27 AM

Like before he was eligible for an extension?

exstatic
07-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Like before he was eligible for an extension?

EXACTLY! The first time they could offer him a piece of paper to sign was THIS MONTH. He had already blown up TWICE in the Finals.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
07-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Like I said, if he signs an extension this year, it will be for at most 14mil a year. A 4 year 55mil a contract. Kawhi is not a money hungry guy. He came from a poorer family and his father obviously taught the value of hard work.

He knows he has a lot to still prove and improve upon. Plus he is a team player is not going to jeopardize winning for being grossly overpaid. 4yr 55mil is what is fair for Kawhi. IMO, I don't think he is going to sign for the Max this time around.

Only two players have ever got the Max in the past 25 years for the Spurs and that is DRob and Duncan. Spurs don't go around over paying players b/c they don't draft or sign FA that are money hungry. They pay them what they are worth and don't low ball them.

If anything, its usually the players that want to take less so they have a better opportunity of winning.

benefactor
07-22-2014, 07:32 AM
Great idea. I should start asking my boss for my annual raise a couple of months beforehand. He'd totally understand I'm missing out on the money and need it right now.

Old School 44
07-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Kawhi should get the max if he wants it. He's that good and still improving. Ask yourself, how many players at his position would you trade him for straight up?

Kawhi's a perfect Spur...humble, fantastic work ethic, gym rat who wants to improve, a young kid Pop can be a father figure to, similar to TD and TP. I love the clip of Kawhi hugging Pop after the Finals, saying "Thanks for pushing me!"

Dverde
07-22-2014, 10:55 AM
I believe if we wait until next year. We can sign him for an additional year. I could be wrong on that. It is obvious to me someone will offer him the max, he is going to want the max, Spurs will pay the max. To me it is merely about how long the contract will be.