PDA

View Full Version : OT: Parallels Between LeBron and HOF Wide Receiver Paul Warfield

BillMc
07-16-2014, 07:05 PM
While these are far from a true parallel, both in sports and accomplishments, I thought there was enough here between LeBron James and Browns/Dolphins great Paul Warfield to at least point out the similarities. (Hey, I'm bored).

Paul Warfield, from Warren, Ohio, drafted #1 by the Cleveland Browns in 1964

LeBron James, from Akron, Ohio, drafted #1 by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003.

Paul Warfield played 6 years for the Cleveland Browns, became a consensus All-Pro, then was traded to the Miami Dolphins in 1970.

LeBron James played 7 years for the Cleveland Cavaliers, became a consensus All-NBA, then was (sign and) traded to the Miami Heat in 2010.

During Warfield's time in Miami, the Dolphins went to 3 straight Super Bowls, losing the first to Dallas, then winning the next two.

During James's time in Miami, the Heat went to 4 straight NBA Finals, losing the first to Dallas, then winning the next two, (and losing the last to SA).

During Warfield's time in Miami, the Dolphins went on an 18 game winning streak (from 72 to 73), the longest streak in the NFL in 31 years (since the Bears of 41-42).

During James's time in Miami, the Heat went on a 27 game winning streak, the longest streak in the NBA in 41 years (since the Lakers of 71-72).

Warfield returned to the Cleveland Browns (as a free agent) in 1976 for the remainder of his career.

James returned to the Cleveland Cavaliers (as a free agent) in 2014 (allegedly) for the remainder of his career.

Anyway, it interested me, so I hope it might interest some of you. The part I am leaving out is Warfield was actually more successful than Lebron was in his first Cleveland stint. The Browns won the NFL Championship his rookie year (64, predating the Superbowl), and lost the NFL Championship in 68 and 69 (and thus the right to face the AFL champion in the Super Bowl).

But LeBron isn't the first Cleveland great to do the Cleveland-Miami-Cleveland thing. :lol

Infinite_limit
07-16-2014, 07:09 PM
Avante thread