PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to match any "reasonable" offer for RFA Aron Baynes

Henrik Sedin
07-17-2014, 04:49 PM
abari Young (https://twitter.com/jabari_young)
‏@jabari_young (https://twitter.com/jabari_young)

Was told #Spurs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash) still hope to retain Aron Baynes...he's restricted and they'll match any reasonable offer ...nothing crazy tho

Reply (https://twitter.com/jabari_young/statuses/489128475437981696#)
Retweet (https://twitter.com/jabari_young/statuses/489128475437981696#)
Favorite (https://twitter.com/jabari_young/statuses/489128475437981696#)
More

BillMc
07-17-2014, 04:52 PM
I wonder what they consider reasonable for Baynes?

tmtcsc
07-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Was told #Spurs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Spurs?src=hash) still hope to retain Aron Baynes...he's restricted and they'll match any reasonable offer ...nothing crazy tho

More

Bag of Funyuns? :huh

BatManu20
07-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Nothing over $2 million a year basically.

Steve-O-Matic
07-17-2014, 05:16 PM

More

This isn't exactly news being broken by this Jabari fella, whoever the hell he is. Obviously they hope to retain Baynes or he wouldn't have been tendered. And obviously they're not going to match a "crazy" offer, because by definition crazy offers don't get matched. That's some sleuthy reporting there, Encyclopedia Brown.

spursfan4ever
07-17-2014, 05:25 PM
I like the way Rudy Gobert has been playing for the Jazz summer league team. Jeff Ayers is embarrassing to watch. I wonder if the Spurs can sign Rudy Gobert..

Steve-O-Matic
07-17-2014, 05:40 PM
I like the way Rudy Gobert has been playing for the Jazz summer league team. Jeff Ayers is embarrassing to watch. I wonder if the Spurs can sign Rudy Gobert..
Nope, Gobert has a guaranteed contract with the Jazz for this season, and is under team control for 3 more seasons beyond that.

SpurPadre
07-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Bag of Funyuns? :huh

Or in Baynes' case, a Vegemite sandwich...but then again, Bonner would be all over that.

phxspurfan
07-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Makes sense that they said this after they lost out on Gasol.

Knoxxx
07-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Baynes now has experience in our system so an investment has been made and remember he showed some flashes early in the playoffs.

murpjf88
07-17-2014, 07:10 PM
I wonder how long they'll actually wait for another team to offer Baynes a contract. It's pretty evident teams aren't that interested in him.

BatManu20
07-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Baynes actually has some value against certain teams (like HOU). We should retain him. He might actually improve a little too with another year in the system although he'll never be much more than he already is.

SupremeGuy
07-17-2014, 07:28 PM
Makes sense that they said this after they lost out on Gasol.They said it a while back.

Anyways, I hope we hurry up and get Baynes signed. He's extremely valuable as a bruiser just to counter the other teams bruiser.

justinandimcool
07-17-2014, 07:31 PM
I've given up on him. He's a better garbage man than other team's garbage men but no one in this forum sees rotation player in him, guaranteed. If he was 5 years younger sure, but he's 27. Splitter hit his stride at 28 or so, but still.

Mal
07-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Probably "reasonable" is any amount which wont put Spurs over the tax this year.

Dex
07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
U5YxY_CJwz4

Six.

Chinook
07-17-2014, 07:37 PM
I've given up on him. He's a better garbage man than other team's garbage men but no one in this forum sees rotation player in him, guaranteed. If he was 5 years younger sure, but he's 27. Splitter hit his stride at 28 or so, but still.

Splitter was a great player at the highest level of European basketball before coming over. He hit his stride long before 28.

I think the Spurs want him at his QO and little more. I don't think they want to be married to him next off-season when they project to have quite a few open spots in their front-court rotation.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Splitter was a great player at the highest level of European basketball before coming over. He hit his stride long before 28.

Yep. He also had that year on the bench, which was amazing for his development. /blue

spursnatic
07-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Won't have to worry about that..No one is gonna ofer him Shit anyways..He is not that good

DrunkTXLabrat
07-17-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure the Spurs even need him. They have Bonner back. Bonner vs Ibaka wins championships, it has and it will. Also Ayers is really shaping up to be on Bonners level. His spurs familiarity and faith from the coaching staff should help Kawhi win like 2/3 more championships. Bonner and Ayers have backup big covered. I'm not sure if Baynes is worth using a spot on, Green looks pretty good in SL. But then again, maybe an open spot should be the biggest concern. I mean, we're gonna need another "Shannon Brown" at some point this season.

spurraider21
07-17-2014, 11:10 PM
I don't think they want to be married to him next off-season when they project to have quite a few open spots in their front-court rotation.
Yep, you don't want him to be uselessly clogging a roster spot next summer like Ayres is this summer. He's not even making much but is still a burden

tim_duncan_fan
07-17-2014, 11:38 PM
Of course we want Baynes back! We won't need his spot for someone else or any similar nonsense. Big free agents don't come here. We get good players by picking random Euros nobody has heard of that happen to be great and finding decent role-players and maximizing the shit out of them.

We're gonna maximize the shit out of Baynes and take his 15 and 9 every night, goddamn it.

We are gonna teach Baynes not to take stupid fouls and play him 30 mins a night and he's gonna give us 15 and 9. Believe!

Mikeanaro
07-18-2014, 12:46 AM
I like the enforcer.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-18-2014, 01:42 AM
Pretty sure any offer of 2+ years would be unreasonable for the Spurs.

Axegrinder
07-18-2014, 01:43 AM
keeper at -2 mil

will_spurs
07-18-2014, 04:55 AM
I'd rather have Baynes than Ayres for $1.75m a year. At least he has some use against bruisers, and has shown signs of life in the past. I'm quite sure he could develop into a rotation player with a bit more time. Sadly for him the Spurs have enough bigs right now.

superbigtime
07-18-2014, 07:16 AM
I'll be disappointed if Spurs don't keep Baynes. Is Ayres going to be any better than last year?

Dex
07-18-2014, 08:12 AM
I'll be disappointed if Spurs don't keep Baynes. Is Ayres going to be any better than last year?

If Summer League is any indication...probably not. Ayres still looks like Errors, even when surrounded by rookies and DLeaguers.

SpursDynasty21
07-18-2014, 08:32 AM
If the Spurs keep Baynes, will they have any open roster spots left? I wonder if someone like Vander Blue, Bryce Cotton, or DeShaun Thomas have a chance to make the team.

Dex
07-18-2014, 08:45 AM
If the Spurs keep Baynes, will they have any open roster spots left? I wonder if someone like Vander Blue, Bryce Cotton, or DeShaun Thomas have a chance to make the team.

Negative. Big Banger would put them at 15.

Parker
Duncan
Leonard
Splitter
Green
Ginobili
Belinelli
Diaw
Mills
Joseph
Daye
Ayres
Baynes
Bonner
Anderson

Looks to be pretty locked in. If the Spurs wanted to free up a spot, they would probably dump Daye, maybe Ayres.

SpursDynasty21
07-18-2014, 08:50 AM
Negative. Big Banger would put them at 15.

Parker
Duncan
Leonard
Splitter
Green
Ginobili
Belinelli
Diaw
Mills
Joseph
Daye
Ayres
Baynes
Bonner
Anderson

Looks to be pretty locked in. If the Spurs wanted to free up a spot, they would probably dump Daye, maybe Ayres.

Oh ok, thanks.

Galileo
07-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Baynes is a future all-star, will be a poor man's Tim Duncan in 2 seasons.

dabom
07-18-2014, 09:07 AM

You can't be serious?

DesignatedT
07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Spurs need to keep Baynes. Especially since it seems that Ayres is going to continue to be on the roster.

Random5843
07-18-2014, 09:24 AM
Who will make the crazy offer? Mavs or Portland?

SupremeGuy
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Who will make the crazy offer? Mavs or Portland?I could see the Mavs doing it just to be assholes, tbh. lol

Prime Time
07-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Baynes' impact is undervalued. Whenever the opposing team has a big, physical motherfucker - you can be sure Baynes is right there to mess his shit up. It's pretty rare that someone with his game style turns out to be such a humble team-player.

jARS mEsH sEt
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
You can't be serious?

He constantly makes up contrived and esoteric statistical records to make Spurs players seem better than they are. Galileo has a longstanding history of idiocy on this site.

dabom
07-18-2014, 12:11 PM
He constantly makes up contrived and esoteric statistical records to make Spurs players seem better than they are. Galileo has a longstanding history of idiocy on this site.

I have taken a mental note to not reply to his assertions.

MaNu4Tres
07-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Spurs need to keep Baynes. Especially since it seems that Ayres is going to continue to be on the roster.

Given their financial position being well under the luxury tax, and with the MLE still available, it wouldn't be surprise me if Spurs waived Ayres and ate his 1.8 million early on in the year to open up a roster spot.

It is very likely Spurs re-sign Baynes and is very likely Spurs will value a player over Ayres for that 15th spot on the roster.

I predict Spurs re-signing Baynes, waiving Ayres, and then using 10 day/non-guaranteed deals mainly for PG's to provide insurance until Mills gets back.

Then Spurs will shop the unattractive FA buy out market with their MLE. If nothing is there to their liking, then they'll utilize their 15th spot to sign a young prospect w/upside to a guaranteed deal for the rest of the year w/ team option for the following year(s). IMO

jeebus
07-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Well, he's hands down better than Piece of Shit. And though he can't hit threes in the winter like Boner, he's a better post player/defender/pick setter. Like Manu4tres said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs waived Piece of Shit to keep a spot open. If PoS was trying to make the team with the summer league like others, he would've been sent home with Ryan Richards by now.

spurraider21
07-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Given their financial position being well under the luxury tax, and with the MLE still available, it wouldn't be surprise me if Spurs waived Ayres and ate his 1.8 million early on in the year to open up a roster spot.

It is very likely Spurs re-sign Baynes and is very likely Spurs will value a player over Ayres for that 15th spot on the roster.

I predict Spurs re-signing Baynes, waiving Ayres, and then using 10 day/non-guaranteed deals mainly for PG's to provide insurance until Mills gets back.

Then Spurs will shop the unattractive FA buy out market with their MLE. If nothing is there to their liking, then they'll utilize their 15th spot to sign a young prospect w/upside to a guaranteed deal for the rest of the year w/ team option for the following year(s). IMO
if they actually waive Ayres given his guaranteed salary it would be a heck of a pleasant surprise. it has no real cap implications anyway, but its a matter of Holt deciding to eat 1.8 mil for the better of the team

TXstbobcat
07-18-2014, 05:24 PM

At best he can be a good roll player.

TD 21
07-18-2014, 05:36 PM

Exactly.

Without Ayres rediscovering (discovering?) reliable range out to 18, he can't play PF offensively and four C's and seven bigs aren't necessary, so it comes down to him or Baynes and between Baynes not looking completely overwhelmed in his brief stints in the playoffs and Ayres' poor showing in Summer League, unless the latter suddenly looks like the player they thought they were getting in training camp/preseason, it's difficult to imagine him being retained.

jeebus
07-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Kevin Seraphin signed a $3.8 million QO with the Wizards and he averaged almost 10 and 5 two seasons ago. I highly highly doubt Baynes' price will be even half that, unless some dumbass franchise like the Lakers throw stupid money at him.

07-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Well, he's hands down better than Piece of Shit. And though he can't hit threes in the winter like Boner, he's a better post player/defender/pick setter. Like Manu4tres said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs waived Piece of Shit to keep a spot open. If PoS was trying to make the team with the summer league like others, he would've been sent home with Ryan Richards by now.
I like PoS's new nickname. :tu

jeebus
07-18-2014, 06:44 PM
I like PoS's new nickname. :tu
:tu

BigTex342006
07-18-2014, 07:33 PM
I like him...quite a bit. There is still value of an old fashion bruiser with some touch. I would like to see more of a concerted effort to give him 15-20 minutes a game and leave Ayers on the bench. 2 million or less per year....keep him....or if Dallas tries a bit more, match....

FireMicoHalili
07-18-2014, 09:43 PM
If he does get signed, roster stands at 15. Does anyone know the last time the Spurs started a season with a full roster?

Obstructed_View
07-18-2014, 10:11 PM
If he does get signed, roster stands at 15. Does anyone know the last time the Spurs started a season with a full roster?

I bet you a Mountain Dew that it won't be at 15 on opening night, or at least not the current 15.

Cane
07-18-2014, 10:17 PM
Give Baynes minutes and he'd rival Robin Lopez which would be a great deal at ~$2mil

Obstructed_View
07-18-2014, 10:18 PM
Give Baynes minutes and he'd rival Robin Lopez which would be a great deal at ~$2mil

I kind of can't help thinking the same thing. I haven't seen any reason he can't be in the rotation. He can shoot, he can rebound, he can defend, and he's better than Ayres or Bonner.

FireMicoHalili
07-18-2014, 10:19 PM
I bet you a Mountain Dew that it won't be at 15 on opening night, or at least not the current 15.

You thinking a trade or a cut?

Obstructed_View
07-18-2014, 10:21 PM
You thinking a trade or a cut?

If not the former, then the latter. No way both Ayres and Daye stick, IMHO. Wouldn't be shocked if both of them are gone by camp.

FireMicoHalili
07-18-2014, 10:27 PM
If not the former, then the latter. No way both Ayres and Daye stick, IMHO. Wouldn't be shocked if both of them are gone by camp.
Or any team with someone from Pop's coaching tree scoops Baynes up (PHI/ATL/ORL et. al)? Been tracking interest but so far nothing imminent for Baynes. Thinking the Spurs feel iffy letting Ayres walk while burning a $1.8M hole in the payroll.

Obstructed_View
07-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Or any team with someone from Pop's coaching tree scoops Baynes up (PHI/ATL/ORL et. al)? Been tracking interest but so far nothing imminent for Baynes. Thinking the Spurs feel iffy letting Ayres walk while burning a $1.8M hole in the payroll.

At some point they need to just accept that he was a bad contract. He can't earn his money taking up a roster spot for a better player that fills a need, so you don't compound the problem if you're the Spurs. You match a decent offer for Baynes and let him have Ayres' job and pretend you overpaid for him.

SupremeGuy
07-18-2014, 10:57 PM
We gotta re-sign Baynes and cut Ayres, tbh. I feel bad for him, but fuck man, he just sucks. There is potential in Baynes. If he had gotten Ayres minutes earlier in the season, I think he would have produced some decent stats.

Are you listening PATFO?! Re-sign the Terror from Down Under! :toast

jeebus
07-18-2014, 11:02 PM
We gotta re-sign Baynes and cut Ayres, tbh. I feel bad for him, but fuck man, he just sucks. There is potential in Baynes. If he had gotten Ayres minutes earlier in the season, I think he would have produced some decent stats.

Plus he's not afraid of anyone, sort of like Jackson minus the dipshit attitude. Spurs need at least one guy like that on the team and skinny useless turds like Ayres and Daye aren't gonna cut it.

Chris
07-18-2014, 11:17 PM
After seeing what Jordan Hill got, it's hard to believe we can match anything. Bigs are so vaulable right now, especially bigs right out of Pop's boot camp.

cd021
07-18-2014, 11:40 PM

He isn't as good as Lopez so that's kind of hard. He has potential to be a solid 4th big but at the moment he isn't very good.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-18-2014, 11:50 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! the spurs can just not re-sign Baynes. It saves them the expense of giving up on Ayers. And gives them time to get Ayers to be the Bonner replacement.

Lets face it, Bonners game is gonna age really well. But his clock is ticking. Remember when Bonner was a late season choker who made guys like Favors salivate, well give him few years. Now he makes Ibaka break down. That's the plan for Ayers. And while they have Ayers and Bonner, there's really no need for Baynes.

#AllWeNeedIsJustSomeAyersyPatience

cd021
07-18-2014, 11:58 PM
I get that Baynes is a favorite on ST but the way some are talking about him is pretty crazy. He has shown flashes on being a solid big man but actually wasn't that much better than Ayers this past season. Its kind of like the backup QB theory. People only want Baynes because they haven't seen enough to know any better.

If we resign Baynes, then that's probably a wrap for the rest of the off season. I don't see the Spurs waiving Ayers or even Daye when they could have done so on the 30th. They could move Ayers and a 2nd rounder to try and clear a spot but its more likely that they wait and see if Ayers has improved.

SupremeGuy
07-19-2014, 12:46 AM
Plus he's not afraid of anyone, sort of like Jackson minus the dipshit attitude. Spurs need at least one guy like that on the team and skinny useless turds like Ayres and Daye aren't gonna cut it.That's what I said earlier in the thread, he's our fucking bruiser. Every team needs one.

SupremeGuy
07-19-2014, 12:47 AM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! the spurs can just not re-sign Baynes. It saves them the expense of giving up on Ayers. And gives them time to get Ayers to be the Bonner replacement.

Lets face it, Bonners game is gonna age really well. But his clock is ticking. Remember when Bonner was a late season choker who made guys like Favors salivate, well give him few years. Now he makes Ibaka break down. That's the plan for Ayers. And while they have Ayers and Bonner, there's really no need for Baynes.

#AllWeNeedIsJustSomeAyersyPatienceThis fucking guy cannot be serious... :lol

DrunkTXLabrat
07-19-2014, 01:05 AM
This fucking guy cannot be serious... :lol

lol, i don't even know anymore. i mean, Baynes fouls a lot. and Pop kinda seemed to favor Ayers this year. And Pop wins championships, so idk?

Gagnrath
07-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Baynes backs down the center piece of a division rival straight up.... Baynes acts as on court enforcer, baynes fights for rebounds and can make the outlet pass in under 6 seconds once the rebound is secured. Baynes when get gets a pass doesn't hand the ball to the other team. all these things point to Baynes being superior to Ayers.

His biggest issue is fouls, (which to some extent he gets whistled merely because of his body type for contact that wouldn't be called on other players.)next is conditioning which has been improving (though not as fast as people would like) and would likely improve more with more playing time.

jeebus
07-19-2014, 09:24 AM
His biggest issue is fouls
True, but if the summer league showed us anything this year, it's that Errors can't really play "defense" unless the 10 foul rule is in effect.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2014, 10:42 AM
He owns space in Dwight's head. Gotta keep him around to deal with bigs like him.