PDA

View Full Version : Jeter, Like Duncan, Makes the Routine Extraordinary

boutons_deux
07-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Consider, for instance, how Tim Duncan wasn’t even voted by fans or coaches to the N.B.A. All-Star Game last February. In the context of what Duncan and his San Antonio Spurs (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/sanantoniospurs/index.html?inline=nyt-org) achieved in the playoffs, let’s assume the coaches will not repeat that egregious oversight next season, in what could be the final go-round for one of that sport’s purest fundamental, team-oriented stars.

In many measures of style and substance, Duncan is the Jeter of pro basketball, so it should be no surprise that Jeter, a pretty fair high school basketball player, has long been a Duncan fan and was pleased to hear that Duncan, when told of Jeter’s admiration, was genuinely flattered.

“I have not met him, but Tim is a guy who does everything right on the basketball court,” Jeter said. “I mean, he’s not dunking from halfcourt or spinning around and doing 360s. Fundamentally, he’s as good as anyone who’s ever played the game.”

Jeter scoffed at the popular opinion that Duncan wasn’t sexy enough to sell the game, adding that this would be the view only of those who didn’t understand basketball.

“We’re in an atmosphere or culture where it’s all about the highlights,” he said. “But when you get to the playoffs, it’s about finding a way to win games and championships.”

Reminded that he and Duncan had each won five rings, Jeter flashed a crooked smile.

“Yeah, very true,” he said.

As things currently stand, Duncan has a far better chance of breaking the deadlock. Having already overspent on a team that is old and broken, the Yankees are not as interested in investing more in
Jeter’s endgame as they no doubt are in squeezing every penny out of it, beginning with the day, Sept. 7, they announced on Friday that they would hold for the captain.

Some immediately wondered why so early in the month, also opening weekend in the N.F.L. But what is the difference? Much as we will remember his postseason triumphs, his flip play in Oakland (http://m.mlb.com/video/v3134880/nyyoak-gm-3-jeter-cuts-down-runner-with-iconic-flip) and his Mr. November home run (http://m.mlb.com/video/v7105163/arinyy-jeters-walkoff-homer-off-kim-wins-game-4) in the Bronx, as Jeter said: “People respect you for how you played the game, for how you carried yourself, and that means a lot more to me than someone respecting me for one particular play or something like that.”

The glory, in other words, has been in the routine. That’s what he will miss most about baseball, and that is what baseball will miss most about him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/20/sports/baseball/derek-jeter-like-tim-duncan-makes-routine-extraordinary.html?emc=eta1

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Except Jeter has always been extremely overrated, played in a large market, had to be overpaid in his last contract as to not feel disrespected, and typically played on a stacked team that would have won without him. In fact, he's a lot more like sidekick than Timmy.

Edit- And this is coming from a Yankees fan. lol

BranderC
07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Is Pooh Jeter coming back to the NBA?

florige
07-21-2014, 10:27 AM
Except Jeter has always been extremely overrated, played in a large market, had to be overpaid in his last contract as to not feel disrespected, and typically played on a stacked team that would have won without him. In fact, he's a lot more like sidekick than Timmy.

It's the same thing with Cal Ripken Jr. Other than that stupid streak I always thought he was highly overrated. And that is coming from a life long O's fan. Cal Ripken can do no wrong here in Baltimore.

soxxx
07-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Im a NYer, Jeters overrated. They probably would have won championships without him, somehow he became the face of the Yankees during the title period so i put him into legendary status in the Sports world.

johnpaulwall21
07-21-2014, 11:55 AM
the difference between the two is one will always be remembered and the other wont. That's what a big market like new York does for you. Jeter is beloved by all it seems like. the media, the fans, and the mlb higher ups love the guy. He's getting sendoffs everywhere he goes. Duncan isn't even the fan favorite of san Antonio. His exit will go unnoticed by the casual fan. Sad but its the truth.

barakz21
07-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Never been a baseball fan, and I've only been to one game here in New York, and that was the Yankees. Never really understood the rules, but regardless, I was pumped up when Mariano came out of to play. You know, enter sandman and all. Off topic, sorry!

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 01:32 PM
the difference between the two is one will always be remembered and the other wont. That's what a big market like new York does for you. Jeter is beloved by all it seems like. the media, the fans, and the mlb higher ups love the guy. He's getting sendoffs everywhere he goes. Duncan isn't even the fan favorite of san Antonio. His exit will go unnoticed by the casual fan. Sad but its the truth.That's because one desperately wants the limelight and the other has done everything in his career to stay away from it.

TampaDude
07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
It's the same thing with Cal Ripken Jr. Other than that stupid streak I always thought he was highly overrated. And that is coming from a life long O's fan. Cal Ripken can do no wrong here in Baltimore.

MLB Players with 400 HRs and 3000 Hits:

Hank Aaron: 755 HRs, 3,771 Hits
Stan Musial: 475 HRs, 3,630 Hits
Carl Yastrzemski: 452 HRs, 3,419 Hits
Willie Mays: 660 HRs, 3,283 Hits
Eddie Murray: 504 HRs, 3,255 Hits
Cal Ripken Jr.: 431 HRs, 3,184 Hits
Dave Winfield: 465 HRs, 3,110 Hits
Rafael Palmeiro: 569 HRs, 3,020 Hits

Ripken is far from overrated, dude.

Arcadian
07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
the difference between the two is one will always be remembered and the other wont. That's what a big market like new York does for you. Jeter is beloved by all it seems like. the media, the fans, and the mlb higher ups love the guy. He's getting sendoffs everywhere he goes. Duncan isn't even the fan favorite of san Antonio. His exit will go unnoticed by the casual fan. Sad but its the truth.

Duncan is more appreciated than you think. Many people are aware he was the best player of his generation, and his exit will not go unnoticed.

spurs1990
07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Couple things.

Very glad to hear Jeter reference Duncan. Makes me willing to showcase my rooting interests as a semi in the closet Yankees fan. Can we assume had Duncan's career unfolded on the Knicks his status would be as elevated as Jeter's.

The author brought up next year's all-star selections and that Duncan would get a nod as a tribute. Do we know if any other legendary player received a courtesy selection in his final season?

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Not overrated at all.. Nobody ever called Jeter the best player in the game or said he was robbed of league mvp's or anything like that. They mostly said a few things about Jeter.

Great Leader
Incredibly consistent- .311 lifetime average 3400 hits
Winner- 5 Rings
One of the great all time Yankees

That's all I ever really heard about him.. Nobody ever said Jeter was Ted Williams. But he was a great player..

florige
07-21-2014, 02:39 PM
MLB Players with 400 HRs and 3000 Hits:

Hank Aaron: 755 HRs, 3,771 Hits
Stan Musial: 475 HRs, 3,630 Hits
Carl Yastrzemski: 452 HRs, 3,419 Hits
Willie Mays: 660 HRs, 3,283 Hits
Eddie Murray: 504 HRs, 3,255 Hits
Cal Ripken Jr.: 431 HRs, 3,184 Hits
Dave Winfield: 465 HRs, 3,110 Hits
Rafael Palmeiro: 569 HRs, 3,020 Hits

Ripken is far from overrated, dude.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/72162-cal-ripken-jr-the-most-overrated-baseball-player-of-all-time

If it wasn't for that stupid streak he would be a nobody. We had so many other deserving players on our team over the years and all we had to hear crammed down our throats was Ripken this Ripken that. Dude could bat 125 and still would get voted to the All-Star game year in and year out. Its a joke.

TampaDude
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/72162-cal-ripken-jr-the-most-overrated-baseball-player-of-all-time

If it wasn't for that stupid streak he would be a nobody. We had so many other deserving players on our team over the years and all we had to hear crammed down our throats was Ripken this Ripken that. Dude could bat 125 and still would get voted to the All-Star game year in and year out. Its a joke.

You should really read the comments posted to that article. Several of them demolish Cody's assertions. It's not like I'm calling Ripken the GOAT or anything, but damn, dude...give credit where credit is due. Did Cal steal your parking space at Camden Yards or something? :lol

HarlemHo 37
07-21-2014, 03:09 PM

You know what bleacher report articles ae good for? Wiping your ass with.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/195790-top-10-over-rated-nba-players-in-history

TampaDude
07-21-2014, 03:10 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/195790-top-10-over-rated-nba-players-in-history

:lmao @ that article

TampaDude
07-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Not overrated at all.. Nobody ever called Jeter the best player in the game or said he was robbed of league mvp's or anything like that. They mostly said a few things about Jeter.

Great Leader
Winner- 5 Rings

That's all I ever really heard about him.. Nobody ever said Jeter was Ted Williams. But he was a great player..

He still is a great player.

exstatic
07-21-2014, 03:17 PM
The one thing I don't want Tim to do is to stick around on a clearly empty tank like Jeter did.

florige
07-21-2014, 03:17 PM
You should really read the comments posted to that article. Several of them demolish Cody's assertions. It's not like I'm calling Ripken the GOAT or anything, but damn, dude...give credit where credit is due. Did Cal steal your parking space at Camden Yards or something? :lol

Cody's article may have been a bit much. But alot of what he says is truth. The Ripken homers here in Baltimore just love to defend this guy like he's the greatest MLB player in the history of MLB. I just still stand behind that if he didn't have that streak to go off of he would be no more famous a baseball player than JJ Hardy. Nah he didn't take my parking space I am sure he has a place outside by his statue at Camden Yards. lol

Sean Cagney
07-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Duncan is more appreciated than you think. Many people are aware he was the best player of his generation, and his exit will not go unnoticed.

^^^^^^ This is true, non Spurs fans at work give the dude his respect and speak highly of him all the time. He is a legend and top 10 all times, his exit will be big.

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 04:58 PM
The one thing I don't want Tim to do is to stick around on a clearly empty tank like Jeter did.

This is the only year it's empty. Last year he was hurt but the year before he played great..

Kidd K
07-21-2014, 05:06 PM
I'm sorry but Derek Jeter does not deserve to be mentioned alongside someone of Tim Duncan's caliber. Duncan is arguably a top 5 all time player in his sport. Jeter is not even top 100. He may not even be top 200 or 300.

For those that don't follow baseball (and based on the many posts I see here by you uncultured fucks, you don't), Derek Jeter is and was even more overrated than Kobe Bryant. At least we can agree Kobe has usually been a top 5-10 player in the league since hitting his prime til the last 3-4 years, but was just overrated to #1 status. Jeter was never even close to top 10 ANY year and was called a top dude every fucking year, not to mention was talked about nearly as much as Kobe.

Jeter isn't in Duncan's class. Never was, never will be.

ersinert
07-21-2014, 05:07 PM

This is not true, i mean until i read this topic i didnt even know who Jeter was, as a Turkish Spurs, Duncan and basketball fan, i can say Duncan is known by a lot more people than Jeter guy and he will be always remembered, because baseball sucks and globally nobody cares about it except you guys.

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry but Derek Jeter does not deserve to be mentioned alongside someone of Tim Duncan's caliber. Duncan is arguably a top 5 all time player in his sport. Jeter is not even top 100. He may not even be top 200 or 300.

You really want to try and name 299 players better than Jeter.. Must be quite a list..

Clipper Nation
07-21-2014, 05:14 PM
:lol Comparing an overrated, no-defense, HBP-faking, herpes-spreading faggot like Jeter to Duncan

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 05:15 PM
:lol Comparing an overrated, no-defense, HBP-faking, herpes-spreading faggot like Jeter to Duncan

Yeah like you wouldn't spent your life banging supermodels like he has.. :lol

Kidd K
07-21-2014, 05:26 PM
You really want to try and name 299 players better than Jeter.. Must be quite a list..

Technically I'd only have to name 199 since I said "200 or 300", but yes, the list is pretty nice. Don't forget baseball has been going on for twice as long as basketball (and no one gives a shit about the pre 70's much anyway), and the teams are twice as big, with 8 position players, 5 starters, and a closer. So basically 14 "starters" actively playing per team, and for twice as long.

MLB's top 200 would be roughly equal to basketball's top 30 or 35, to put it into perspective for a basketball fan. So yeah, Jeter is not making that list. David Robinson is around #25, and Jeter isn't even close to that. Jeter is more like Joe Dumars caliber.

Aztecfan03
07-21-2014, 05:27 PM

For those that don't follow baseball (and based on the many posts I see here by you uncultured fucks, you don't), Derek Jeter is and was even more overrated than Kobe Bryant. At least we can agree Kobe has usually been a top 5-10 player in the league since hitting his prime til the last 3-4 years, but was just overrated to #1 status. Jeter was never even close to top 10 ANY year and was called a top dude every fucking year, not to mention was talked about nearly as much as Kobe.

Jeter isn't in Duncan's class. Never was, never will be.

:tu

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 05:40 PM

Great Leader
Winner- 5 Rings

That's all I ever really heard about him.. Nobody ever said Jeter was Ted Williams. But he was a great player..People try to argue that he was one of the best SS of all time or one of the top 10 greatest Yankees of all time, and he was neither. Really, Jeter isn't anywhere near Duncan's class. He was a slightly above average SS with good looks(has a lot to do with his popularity) who was lucky enough to play on the Yankees, and that's it.

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 05:42 PM

Jeter isn't in Duncan's class. Never was, never will be.Exactly. Jeter is far more comparable to sidekick. I'll say this though, at least Jeter was never the team cancer that sidekick was.

Drachen
07-21-2014, 06:02 PM

WTF?

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 06:21 PM
People try to argue that he was one of the best SS of all time or one of the top 10 greatest Yankees of all time, and he was neither. Really, Jeter isn't anywhere near Duncan's class. He was a slightly above average SS with good looks(has a lot to do with his popularity) who was lucky enough to play on the Yankees, and that's it.

You don't think he is a top 10 Yankee of all time????????????

Mickey
Joe
Yogi
Babe
Lou
Mo
Whitey

Where does he go exactly??? He's got 5 rings and 3400 hits dude..

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Technically I'd only have to name 199 since I said "200 or 300", but yes, the list is pretty nice. Don't forget baseball has been going on for twice as long as basketball (and no one gives a shit about the pre 70's much anyway), and the teams are twice as big, with 8 position players, 5 starters, and a closer. So basically 14 "starters" actively playing per team, and for twice as long.

MLB's top 200 would be roughly equal to basketball's top 30 or 35, to put it into perspective for a basketball fan. So yeah, Jeter is not making that list. David Robinson is around #25, and Jeter isn't even close to that. Jeter is more like Joe Dumars caliber.

Uh huh.. Lets put this in the proper perspective. Jeter may wrap his career 5th or 6th on the all time hit list with a .311 lifetime average, 5 GG's, 5 World Series Rings, a World Series MVP among other awards.. But he is not top 300 huh???? Yeah.. That is uh.. Yeah...

RD2191
07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
"Mr. Fundamentals = Mr. Boring. Granted, Timmy D is a great player, but many belittle Kobe because he had Shaq. Well, Duncan had David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Sean Elliott, and Mario Elie."

:lmaoI seriously almost wanna track this guy down just to give him one solid punch.

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 06:29 PM
"Mr. Fundamentals = Mr. Boring. Granted, Timmy D is a great player, but many belittle Kobe because he had Shaq. Well, Duncan had David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Sean Elliott, and Mario Elie."

:lmaoI seriously almost wanna track this guy down just to give him one solid punch.

"Duncan had David Robinson, Avery Johnson, Sean Elliott, and Mario Elie. All were champions who showed the young boy the way into the league"

Uh Only Elie was a champion none of the others won squat until Timmy D hit town and dominated..

soxxx
07-21-2014, 06:29 PM
The Yankees would have won without the Jeter, the Spurs wouldnt have a single one without Duncan. The end, no comparison. Its disrespect to Duncan.

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 06:30 PM
The Yankees would have won without the Jeter, the Spurs wouldnt have a single one without Duncan. The end, no comparison. Its disrespect to Duncan.

They don't win 5 without Jeter no chance in hell.. I lived in NY and watched most of his career.. Jeter and Mo were the engine that made that team go..

soxxx
07-21-2014, 06:39 PM
They don't win 5 without Jeter no chance in hell.. I lived in NY and watched most of his career.. Jeter and Mo were the engine that made that team go..
They still would have won though without Jeter. Maybe not 5, maybe not 4, but they would have won.

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 06:44 PM
They still would have won though without Jeter. Maybe not 5, maybe not 4, but they would have won.

WTH knows that. Jeter was a great player and the leader. In 2000 he put on a clinic against the Mets hitting .340 and had a big HR in game 5. He was very clutch in the playoffs during that run of 4 in 5 years.. They lose to Oakland in 2001 if not for the famous flip play..

SupremeGuy
07-21-2014, 08:07 PM
There was mr. clutch hitting into a double play... fuck.

Kidd K
07-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Uh huh.. Lets put this in the proper perspective. Jeter may wrap his career 5th or 6th on the all time hit list with a .311 lifetime average, 5 GG's, 5 World Series Rings, a World Series MVP among other awards.. But he is not top 300 huh???? Yeah.. That is uh.. Yeah...

The hit list? Stop it. Play for long enough and you're up there. He is nowhere near a top 5-6 hitter ever, so let's not parade around that shit like it means much more than it does.

Let's see where he places on the batting average list: Tied for 101th and dropping.

Of course, BA doesn't mean he's actually getting jacks or doubles instead of just singles, so let's see where he places on the slugging % list: 449th and dropping :lmao And this is a guy "known for offense and being a good hitter".

Offensive win%: 468th

Steals: 104th

Home Runs: 191st

RBI: 117th

See my point? And this is a dude who played on the by far highest salary team in baseball for his entire career, with multiple MVPs, former MVPs, and all stars batting all around him to make it as easy as humanly possible for him to compile stats. And he still didn't manage to do shit except play for a long time to rack up hits. Hits, not batting average or slugging %. Or steals. Or jacks. Or RBI.

And this of course doesn't even touch on the hundred+ pitchers who were/are better than Jeter too. Jeter was not outstanding at anything besides playing in New York and getting his knob gobbled by ESPN.

He isn't top 200 dude. Having a long career (10th all time in at bats, aka chances to get hits) to pile up singles (the most useless hit in baseball) doesn't somehow push him past vastly superior players. :lol

ElNono
07-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Porque Jeter tiene un edge! :lol

Qpem4xp9upQ

(39 secs in)

dbreiden83080
07-21-2014, 08:55 PM
The hit list? Stop it. Play for long enough and you're up there. He is nowhere near a top 5-6 hitter ever, so let's not parade around that shit like it means much more than it does.

Let's see where he places on the batting average list: Tied for 101th and dropping.

Of course, BA doesn't mean he's actually getting jacks or doubles instead of just singles, so let's see where he places on the slugging % list: 449th and dropping :lmao And this is a guy "known for offense and being a good hitter".

Offensive win%: 468th

Steals: 104th

Home Runs: 191st

RBI: 117th

See my point? And this is a dude who played on the by far highest salary team in baseball for his entire career, with multiple MVPs, former MVPs, and all stars batting all around him to make it as easy as humanly possible for him to compile stats. And he still didn't manage to do shit except play for a long time to rack up hits. Hits, not batting average or slugging %. Or steals. Or jacks. Or RBI.

And this of course doesn't even touch on the hundred+ pitchers who were/are better than Jeter too. Jeter was not outstanding at anything besides playing in New York and getting his knob gobbled by ESPN.

He isn't top 200 dude. Having a long career (10th all time in at bats, aka chances to get hits) to pile up singles (the most useless hit in baseball) doesn't somehow push him past vastly superior players. :lol

So where is Pete Rose in that list? or Joe Morgan? Or Ty Cobb? None of them were power hitters my man.. Not too mention Jeter played clean in the friggin steroid era with Power numbers massively inflated. Lets just talk SS name me 15 right now that were better than Jeter.. Hell name me 10? The guys in Jeters era considered better like A-Rod.. PED Users..

Kidd K
07-22-2014, 02:20 AM
So where is Pete Rose in that list? or Joe Morgan? Or Ty Cobb? None of them were power hitters my man.. Not too mention Jeter played clean in the friggin steroid era with Power numbers massively inflated. Lets just talk SS name me 15 right now that were better than Jeter.. Hell name me 10? The guys in Jeters era considered better like A-Rod.. PED Users..

In what list? Like steals and shit? Joe Morgan is 11th all time in steals. Rose is #1 in hits.

Ty Cobb? Are you joking by bringing him up? Dude is #2 in hits, #1 in batting average, #2 in runs scored, #4 in steals, and even #8 in RBI. He's even 75th in SLG% (the power stat, if you didn't know) to Jeter's extremely weak 477th.

Jeter is a fucking nobody compared to Cobb.

As for SS, that's well known to be the weakest position in baseball historically. Don't try to be a smartass and act like him being possibly top 15 at SS can be extrapolated to mean he's top anything because of it.

Him playing clean, well we don't know he did tbh. But I don't think we need to get into it either way. He had roided up teammates hitting behind him to force pitchers to pitch to him. David Justice, Jason Giambi, and A-Rod were all users off the top of my head. So were Clemens and Petitte, but they were pitchers. Still, that's a LOT of fucking teammates who used even if the list ended there.

spurs1990
07-22-2014, 02:32 AM
I've enjoyed reading the debate on this thread more than any actual baseball game in 2 decades. Good stuff.

But one thing I've been impressed with Jeter as dbreiden mentioned is that he remained clean through his 20 year run. That goes a long way in my book. Also as they said during the all-star game he's never been quoted to say anything offensive or controversial.

I think we can celebrate that at the very least.

HarlemHo 37
07-22-2014, 03:04 AM
In what list? Like steals and shit? Joe Morgan is 11th all time in steals. Rose is #1 in hits.

Ty Cobb? Are you joking by bringing him up? Dude is #2 in hits, #1 in batting average, #2 in runs scored, #4 in steals, and even #8 in RBI. He's even 75th in SLG% (the power stat, if you didn't know) to Jeter's extremely weak 477th.

Jeter is a fucking nobody compared to Cobb.

As for SS, that's well known to be the weakest position in baseball historically. Don't try to be a smartass and act like him being possibly top 15 at SS can be extrapolated to mean he's top anything because of it.

Him playing clean, well we don't know he did tbh. But I don't think we need to get into it either way. He had roided up teammates hitting behind him to force pitchers to pitch to him. David Justice, Jason Giambi, and A-Rod were all users off the top of my head. So were Clemens and Petitte, but they were pitchers. Still, that's a LOT of fucking teammates who used even if the list ended there.

Were you born stupid, tbh? SS is the TOUGHEST position in baseball to field. You don't even have to pretend to be a baseball fan to know that. Ranking Jeter's homerun and RBI totals is a joke. He batted leadoff or second in the lineup for his entire career. You don't see how that could impact one's RBI totals?

I hope you realize that most of those players in yeseryear wouldn't come close to duplicating those statistics in this era. The vast, VAST majority of pitchers only threw three pitches tops, nor did they have*meticulous*scouting reports, graphs and sabermetrics to rely on.

There are mny teams in the majors that never had a SS half as good as Jeter, tbh. Lol, berrating a 5-time gold glove winner and a guy approaching 3,500 career hits and a lifetime BA of .311 and calling him overrated. It's like you've never seen the guy play but you've read bleacherreport and now you have the inside track to his life story.

Kidd K
07-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Were you born stupid, tbh? SS is the TOUGHEST position in baseball to field. You don't even have to pretend to be a baseball fan to know that. Ranking Jeter's homerun and RBI totals is a joke. He batted leadoff or second in the lineup for his entire career. You don't see how that could impact one's RBI totals?

I hope you realize that most of those players in yeseryear wouldn't come close to duplicating those statistics in this era. The vast, VAST majority of pitchers only threw three pitches tops, nor did they have*meticulous*scouting reports, graphs and sabermetrics to rely on.

There are mny teams in the majors that never had a SS half as good as Jeter, tbh. Lol, berrating a 5-time gold glove winner and a guy approaching 3,500 career hits and a lifetime BA of .311 and calling him overrated. It's like you've never seen the guy play but you've read bleacherreport and now you have the inside track to his life story.

Were you born ignorant faggot tbh? Shortstop being tough to field does fuck all to debunk the accepted fact that it's the weakest position in baseball. Since you're clearly very slow, I'm saying that position historically produces less offense than every other position with the possible exception of catcher; the actual toughest position to field in baseball (clearly you've never played).

He batted first and second on the most stacked teams in his era. Teams filled with All Stars, MVPs, steroid users, and of course the DH. Him having shitty RBI numbers on those mega stacked teams is because he mostly just hits singles and has little power. Do not act like it has anything to do with his spot because the Yankees are always near the top of the runs scored list every fuckin year since they have a 250m+ annual team salary.

You're also looking at it backwards. Jeter doesn't have shitty RBI numbers because he hit 1-2. Jeter hit 1-2 because he doesn't have the power to drive guys in, otherwise he would have been hitting 3-6 instead.

You can list all of Jeter's accomplishment including his penis size, and it won't change the fact that he's incredibly overrated.

The bolded is ignorant hyperbole. Just quit while you're behind and stop digging the hole deeper. Or maybe you can try and pretend Jeter's better than Ty Cobb too. :lol

I have watched way more baseball than you. Evident in how hard you get over a .300 singles hitter. :lmao Any real baseball fan knows hitting .300 isn't that special when it's mostly singles. Like I said, he's barely even in the top 500 in slugging %. He is a glorified singles hitter who was WAY overhyped because he played in NY.

Its like you don't even watch baseball except on ESPN and formulate your entire opinion around their hype rather than reality.

lefty
07-24-2014, 10:13 AM
:lol baseball

dbreiden83080
07-24-2014, 11:03 AM
You're also looking at it backwards. Jeter doesn't have shitty RBI numbers because he hit 1-2. Jeter hit 1-2 because he doesn't have the power to drive guys in, otherwise he would have been hitting 3-6 instead.

I am still finding it funny that you keep harping on his power number when 90% of the players he can be compared to in his era that put up big power numbers were juiced out of their fucking skulls. Should we talk about A-Rod in comparison? Was A-Rod better than Jeter? Motherfucker was taking so many roids he could have opened up his own clinic.. He also choked his ass off in the playoffs countless times while Jeter has a career full of postseason memories being clutch.. In the field and with the bat.. Lets talk about Sammy Sosa who suddenly went from hitting .270 and 30 HR's a year to 60 out of blue.. Was he better than Jeter? Not being a power hitter does not disqualify you from being an all time great. Right now I think Cano is on track to be one of the best 2nd baseman's of all time and he is maybe a 20 HR a year guy if that now that he is in Seattle.. One would think hitting .311 with 3400 hits and having 5 rings, 5 GG's world series MVP etc would be enough to say he is an all time great but for some haters like yourself I suspect you just look at those pinstripes and go into full on hissy fit mode..

dbreiden83080
07-24-2014, 11:06 AM
I have watched way more baseball than you. Evident in how hard you get over a .300 singles hitter. :lmao Any real baseball fan knows hitting .300 isn't that special when it's mostly singles. Like I said, he's barely even in the top 500 in slugging %. He is a glorified singles hitter who was WAY overhyped because he played in NY.

BTW getting 3000 hits is so easy that only 28 men have ever done it.. And not all of those men having .300 averages.. But hitting all those singles is a piece of cake..

Kidd K
07-24-2014, 05:36 PM
I am still finding it funny that you keep harping on his power number when 90% of the players he can be compared to in his era that put up big power numbers were juiced out of their fucking skulls. Should we talk about A-Rod in comparison? Was A-Rod better than Jeter? Motherfucker was taking so many roids he could have opened up his own clinic.. He also choked his ass off in the playoffs countless times while Jeter has a career full of postseason memories being clutch.. In the field and with the bat.. Lets talk about Sammy Sosa who suddenly went from hitting .270 and 30 HR's a year to 60 out of blue.. Was he better than Jeter? Not being a power hitter does not disqualify you from being an all time great. Right now I think Cano is on track to be one of the best 2nd baseman's of all time and he is maybe a 20 HR a year guy if that now that he is in Seattle.. One would think hitting .311 with 3400 hits and having 5 rings, 5 GG's world series MVP etc would be enough to say he is an all time great but for some haters like yourself I suspect you just look at those pinstripes and go into full on hissy fit mode..

And not only do we no know if he never roided (not that I care either way), but quite a few of those players hit behind Jeter, forcing pitchers to pitch to him more. Jeter benefitted from roided up players giving him protection in the lineup, just like he benefitted from a nearly 300 million dollar annual team salary stocking the team with MVPs and all stars to make it as easy as possible for him to flourish.

And yes A-Rod was better than Jeter by a fuckton. He used roids though obviously.

Sosa was worlds ahead of Jeter and it's not even close.

I didn't say not being a power hitter disqualified players from being an all time great. You're straw manning because you don't have a valid argument. The thing is Jeter was not really outstanding at anything. Above average at plenty of things, but great at none. That's why he isn't an all time great.

I also see you couldn't resist trying to discredit me as a "hater" since you had no argument either. How sad for you.

BTW getting 3000 hits is so easy that only 28 men have ever done it.. And not all of those men having .300 averages.. But hitting all those singles is a piece of cake..

You're strawmanning again. I didn't say hitting 3,000 hits was easy or a piece of cake. I said Jeter isn't a top 200 player of all time. Where do you think getting 3,000 hits puts a guy on the MLB GOAT list exactly? lol. Above every pitcher ever? Above everyone who hasn't had a career long enough to get 3,000 hits?

Babe Ruth didn't get 3,000 hits. So is he better than Babe Ruth? Rhetorical question, clearly fucking not. He only doesn't have as many hits because he had far less at bats (8,400 vs 11,000). So I think we can safely throw out 3,000 hits as making him any more special than players who did not reach 3,000 hits, which means we can throw out the fact that hitting 3,000 hits magically reserves him some top 30, top 50, or even top 100 spot, when it clearly does not.

Your issue is twofold. One: You obviously have a small pool of baseball knowledge to draw from if you're foolish enough to think Jeter is much better than 200th ever (I'm curious where you actually rank him. I'm sure that'll be good for a laugh). You are clearly massively underrating the all time greats and I'm assuming you must not be including ANY pitchers whatsoever because there's likely over 100 pitchers who are better than Jeter has been. Then we can start talking about position players, where over 100 are better too.

And two: You don't seem to have a great grasp on how important certain stats are, while you're hugely overvaluing some of the less important ones (BA and hits). SLG% means more than BA. Total bases means more than hits. RBI means more than. . .less RBI :lmao etc

Going back to your first strawman, being a power guy does not necessarily make you better than a non power guy, but the none power guy needs to contribute a fuck of a lot more than .310, .440 SLG, 14 HR, 70 RBI and 18 SB to outdo .290, .530 SLG, 32 HR, 15 RBI and 5 SB. It simply doesn't measure up. The "average decent power guy" is contributing much more than Jeter has.

As for his gold gloves, let's just say he deserved a couple of them, and deserved a couple of them as much as Kobe did his last few All NBA 1st Defensive Team awards.

ViceCity84
07-27-2014, 09:09 AM
What an insult to Tim Duncan.

exstatic
07-27-2014, 09:31 AM
What an insult to Tim Duncan.

Blizzardwizard
07-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Damnnn, this is like an Xmas vs ChumpDumper spat, except this one is interesting to read :lol