PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili 13/14

emanueldavidginobili
07-22-2014, 01:44 AM
After a rough season for Manu and how his season ended, to come back and play this good at age 36 is mind blowing. :toast

http://youtu.be/6K-iuMe4FH0

LittleCriminal
07-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Manu>Kobe

Mikeanaro
07-22-2014, 02:18 AM
Manu>Kobe
:toast

kobyz
07-22-2014, 03:02 AM
Btw question: other than Manu Ginobili, is there any player that also won both Europe league championship and NBA championship?

emanueldavidginobili
07-22-2014, 06:11 AM
Btw question: other than Manu Ginobili, is there any player that also won both Europe league championship and NBA championship?

Yup, Bill Bradley

-21-
07-22-2014, 06:14 AM
Manu was incredible. Hoping for another great year next season.

Penya
07-22-2014, 06:55 AM

Bill Bradley, Bob McAdoo, Toni Kukoc, Zan Tabak, Rasho! and Josh Powell (!!)

kobyz
07-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Bill Bradley, Bob McAdoo, Toni Kukoc, Zan Tabak, Rasho! and Josh Powell (!!)

Very well, thanks, Toni Kukoc i should have remember... And so it makes Manu(along with bill bradley i see) as the only ones who won biggest triple trophies including Olympic gold medal...

Spur|n|Austin
07-22-2014, 09:30 AM

But there is not another to have won a gold metal, a Euro league championship, and an NBA championship.

Old School 44
07-22-2014, 09:45 AM
But there is not another to have won a gold metal, a Euro league championship, and an NBA championship.

I pretty sure Bill Bradley accomplished this as well.

Spur|n|Austin
07-22-2014, 09:50 AM
I pretty sure Bill Bradley accomplished this as well.

You are correct! They are the only 2, thanks.

bd_monster
07-22-2014, 10:04 AM
Yea and In order for him to have a good 14/15 season, he needs to rest. He really needs to give up the whole national team thing. I could understand if he was a beacon of durability, but hes made of glass. Thats the thing with Manu, if hes gets the smallest shred of confidence he thinks he 23 again. Then once his body starts breaking down during the season he whines and moans about how his confidence isnt there and that he clearly doesnt trust his body. Hes a mess between the ears sometime.

skulls138
07-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Love that first dunk. Ray Allen goes flying and Bosh gets posterized. It seems like he put all his frustrations of last year into that one dunk.

SpursFan86
07-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Still cost us a title last year. Who cares :depressed

Proxy
07-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Yea and In order for him to have a good 14/15 season, he needs to rest. He really needs to give up the whole national team thing. I could understand if he was a beacon of durability, but hes made of glass. Thats the thing with Manu, if hes gets the smallest shred of confidence he thinks he 23 again. Then once his body starts breaking down during the season he whines and moans about how his confidence isnt there and that he clearly doesnt trust his body. Hes a mess between the ears sometime.

He doesn't need to give up international if he doesn't want to. It's strange how fans think a player owes them shit. The only person that's a mess between the ears are you and similar minded people.

ElNono
07-22-2014, 04:14 PM
He doesn't need to give up international if he doesn't want to. It's strange how fans think a player owes them shit. The only person that's a mess between the ears are you and similar minded people.

Yeah, I never understood that, tbh... if anything, fans should be mad at the NBA that allows and promotes such activities under the CBA.

ajh18
07-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I never understood that, tbh... if anything, fans should be mad at the NBA that allows and promotes such activities under the CBA.

I've always thought it should just be a point that is allowable as part of a contract negotiation. If teams don't like it, let them negotiate it into the player's contract. If the player wants to participate in international play badly enough, let them include that as a negotiation point.

I believe the current CBA doesn't allow for this.

ElNono
07-22-2014, 08:35 PM
I've always thought it should just be a point that is allowable as part of a contract negotiation. If teams don't like it, let them negotiate it into the player's contract. If the player wants to participate in international play badly enough, let them include that as a negotiation point.

I believe the current CBA doesn't allow for this.

It does not. As a matter of fact, as long as players are healthy and insured, teams are forbidden from even attempting to discourage players from playing in FIBA competitions.

DPG21920
07-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Well you have to consider fans of the sport are essentially what pays the bills. These guys get filthy rich for their jobs which wouldn't be possible without fans watching/buying tickets/buying merchandise. When people love their team, pay a lot of money to watch and essentially play a massive role in setting these guys up for life, you can somewhat understand it.

RD2191
07-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Well you have to consider fans of the sport are essentially what pays the bills. These guys get filthy rich for their jobs which wouldn't be possible without fans watching/buying tickets/buying merchandise. When people love their team, pay a lot of money to watch and essentially play a massive role in setting these guys up for life, you can somewhat understand it.
This.

RD2191
07-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Fucking hate when people say players don't owe the fans anything. No fans = no fucking team = no multi million dollar contracts. Idiots.

DPG21920
07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
I agree players don't owe fans every second of their personal lives (or any for that matter) but they don't have normal jobs and some graciousness off the court as well is a good thing. While they don't need to sign every autograph and are entitled to privacy, things that directly impact your job (even if contractually they aren't doing anything wrong) can rub people the wrong way.

ElNono
07-22-2014, 09:33 PM
Fucking hate when people say players don't owe the fans anything. No fans = no fucking team = no multi million dollar contracts. Idiots.

Because it doesn't work like that at all. Fans purchase an entertainment product from a company, and that company tries to put together a compelling product by hiring talented players because is in it's own best economic interest to do so. If a company is not profitable, then it shuts down, and the highly talented players go offer their services somewhere else.

The players are bound by a contract to said company, not the fans.

I agree players don't owe fans every second of their personal lives (or any for that matter) but they don't have normal jobs and some graciousness off the court as well is a good thing. While they don't need to sign every autograph and are entitled to privacy, things that directly impact your job (even if contractually they aren't doing anything wrong) can rub people the wrong way.

Now, this I agree with. Fans will always have their opinions and that's fine. It really doesn't matter, but that's certainly there.

Proxy
07-23-2014, 12:20 AM

As a consumer, I'm happy with the product that Manu has provided. As a fan, I appreciate his persona on and off the court. That's what I paid for when I bought tickets and gear, or played a part in TV ratings. He's been an integral part of the organization providing fans with what they paid to see. The accolades are extra considering how rare they come around, imo.

Taking less than market value and coming off the bench since his prime... uncommon for an NBA player as good as he has been. Doesn't seem like a greedy person. That behavior should be reciprocated by the fanbase tbh. Demanding more than what he's provided seems extremely shallow and wrong to me. But yeah, I do understand your points.

ps - and as Nono pointed out about the NBA's view on the matter with the current CBA... it helps with business. They're not stopping it.

kuato
07-23-2014, 04:05 AM
Spurs fans will miss this guy so much

07-23-2014, 09:38 AM
Too many replays

07-23-2014, 09:54 AM
Manu>Kobe

Rick Von Braun
07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Wow... I mean WOW.

AFBlue
07-24-2014, 08:46 PM
I threw a shit fit of epic proportions when I found out we were bringing back this piece of shit for two more years after he'd been directly responsible for losing the finals. And at $7M/yr it was unforgivable. But...then he came back and TOTALLY REDEEMED HIMSELF. As much as I hated this dude after 6 (I have a signed jersey I almost burned...not really), I was so happy to see him play a big part in 5. Hope he doesn't fuck it up by playing in some meaningless international competition and screwing the Spurs out of "the new 6."

skulls138
07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
I threw a shit fit of epic proportions when I found out we were bringing back this piece of shit for two more years after he'd been directly responsible for losing the finals. And at $7M/yr it was unforgivable. But...then he came back and TOTALLY REDEEMED HIMSELF. As much as I hated this dude after 6 (I have a signed jersey I almost burned...not really), I was so happy to see him play a big part in 5. Hope he doesn't fuck it up by playing in some meaningless international competition and screwing the Spurs out of "the new 6."He didnt have to redeem himself, he was a basketball god without having the Spurs #5. He just helped heap on some more frosting. You see, you guys are greedy, you want the good feeling of having a championship TODAY and if you dont get it youre willing to shit all over the person who gave it to you yesterday, because its yesterday and well....what have they done for you lately.

Hats off to you for being honest though but that doesnt give you a free pass.

Honestly what Manu did was inspirational. There arent many people that has redemption on that level.

emanueldavidginobili
07-25-2014, 02:48 AM
That 2005 Manu dunk and right after that the step back 3 :downspin:that was incredible. I honestly can care less what happens 13/14 was just the icing on the cake for an incredible Dynasty

SouthernFried
07-25-2014, 06:22 AM
Yea and In order for him to have a good 14/15 season, he needs to rest. I could understand if he was a beacon of durability, but hes made of glass. Thats the thing with Manu, if he gets the smallest shred of confidence he thinks he's 23 again. Then once his body starts breaking down during the season he whines and moans about how his confidence isnt there and that he clearly doesnt trust his body. Hes a mess between the ears sometime.

Very interesting take, and I think I agree with this.

The last couple of seasons before this, it was obvious to me Manu wasn't 100%, his body was breaking down. Understandable. This season it looked like Manu's body was stronger. He wasn't 25 again, but he was damm good.

But, Manu never talked about his body, just his "confidence." That always confused me, when it was so obvious to me he wasn't 100% Physically. I've been there (in the getting older department anwyay :) )...and I could see it in him. I knew when it was my body that was giving out, and would never have attributed it to "confidence." So, that always threw me in his interviews. Manu never lacked in the confidence dept, as far as I could see. At ANY point. He lacked in the "my body can't do the shit I used to" dept. So, Maybe it's a language thing? Or, maybe he is just a "mess between the ears" sometimes...lol

Not sure I would say he's made of "glass"...he's lasted all this time, after all. But, I do get your point. He plays all out, all the time, and gets injured more than most because of it. Heck, I never expected Manu to last THIS long because of his all-out style of play. So, I don't really like seeing him playing during the summer either.

But, in the end...I guess Manu can do whatever the hell Manu wants to do. He has more than earned that right, and he can do no wrong in my book. Even during his last couple of down years, Manu didn't need to prove anything to me... he did that a long time ago.

I've been watching professional basketball since the 60's. That's a long fucking time...lol.

Manu Ginobili is the best basketball player I've ever seen.