PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Not 1, Not 2, Not, 3, but..

midnightpulp
07-22-2014, 08:35 PM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/ratings.cgi

One fan poll is just as good as another :toast

Bill_Brasky
07-22-2014, 08:43 PM
Pre Duncan 5th:
"All I count is NBA world titles"

Post Duncan 5th:
"All I count is random Sportsnation spamvote polls"

Thebesteva
07-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Its like a Hollinger system based on BS. It has Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson in the top 15 for fucks sakes :lol

spurraider21
07-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Its like a Hollinger system based on BS. It has Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson in the top 15 for fucks sakes :lol
its actually just based on fan votes... ELO system means you get more points for beating a higher ranked player. anybody can still vote, just go to the link, and it'll present 2 random players at a time, you choose 1

baseline bum
07-22-2014, 09:49 PM
KP5M7lknLTM

Splits
07-23-2014, 08:15 AM
This is actually a much more accurate way to do a public poll. First, it is at a reputable site and not ESPN/Yahoo. Second, you can't rig it and just vote for your favorite player. Third, it forces the voter to pick the better player in a head-to-head matchup which is a much more discrete decision.

Tim is definitely a top 5 player and the company Kirby keeps are comparable players. There are a couple outliers in the top 20 like Barkley, Webber, Iverson, but for the most part tough to argue with the results for a public poll, tbh.

Splits
07-23-2014, 08:02 PM
The only issue I have with this scientific, chess-based formula they are using to poll the most knowledgeable and dedicated basketball fans on the best website out there is that they tend to underrate foreigners a bit, probably because most people who go to basketball-reference.com are hardcore American fans who have grown up with nationalistic bias. Both Manu and MVPau should be higher, imo.

http://i2.minus.com/jHU1nfq3mmS4R.png

jimbo
07-23-2014, 11:29 PM

How the fuck are you asian and you either don't know how ELO works or you don't have a better comparison?

Shit's chess

ElNono
07-24-2014, 12:27 AM
As Harlem likes to say, the advent of advanced stats ultimately will damage a lot of player's legacies, tbh... especially since "number of sportscenters top 10 plays" isn't really a reflection of a player's production...

A JJ Redick soft jumper counts the same two points as the tomahawk dunk from the freethrow line...

Salty
07-24-2014, 01:00 AM
The only issue I have with this scientific, chess-based formula they are using to poll the most knowledgeable and dedicated basketball fans on the best website out there is that they tend to underrate foreigners a bit, probably because most people who go to basketball-reference.com are hardcore American fans who have grown up with nationalistic bias. Both Manu and MVPau should be higher, imo.

http://i2.minus.com/jHU1nfq3mmS4R.png

:lol you sneaky motherfucker