PDA

View Full Version : OT: Shaq Is The Most Overrated Player In The History Of Sports...

Buddy Mignon
07-23-2014, 11:32 AM
At LSU... he didn't win shit and was second fiddle to Chris Jackson.
In Orlando he didn't win shit and was second fiddle to Penny... the run out of town.
In LA he won, but was second fiddle to Kobe, then run out of town.
In Miami, he won, but was second fiddle to Wade, then run out of town.
In Phoenix, he couldn't even make the playoffs and was second fiddle to Nash, then run out of town.
In Cleveland, he couldn't win and was second fiddle to James, then run out of town.
In Boston... he died... then run out of town.:lol

To show you how much we appreciated his services for his tenure here in LA we retired his jersey up to the rafters... BACKWARDS.

Koolaid_Man
07-23-2014, 11:53 AM
In Orlando he didn't win shit and was second fiddle to Penny... the run out of town.
In Phoenix, he couldn't even make the playoffs and was second fiddle to Nash, then run out of town.
In Cleveland, he couldn't win and was second fiddle to James, then run out of town.

To show you how much we appreciated his services for his tenure here in LA we retired his jersey up to the rafters... BACKWARDS.

:lmao in honor of letting Tammy Tits take his cookie

spursfan1000
07-23-2014, 11:56 AM
lol kobe was the sidekick

Twisted_Dawg
07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Shaq did lead Cole HS in San Antonio to the 1988-1989 State 3A Championships and Cole HS just retired his jersey last March. Forgot how many teams that fat fuck played for. And in Orlando, he was swept 4-0 in the finals being completeley over powered by Hakeem Olajuwon.

tdunk21
07-23-2014, 12:06 PM
He is better than Kobe the sidekick tbh

Killakobe81
07-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Wouldnt go that far. But he is overrated on here and not just by Kobe haters. Before "5" even some Spur fans rated Shaq over Tim. O'neal's prime is 2nd to none, but was far too short because he let himself get fat and he definitely under-achieved. He had the tools to be GOAT big and GOAT over MJ ...

ChumpDumper
07-23-2014, 01:18 PM
lol lakerfan shits on laker champ

The Spurs really did a number on them.

AaronY
07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Lol three finals mvps to Kobe's zero when they played together

TDMVPDPOY
07-23-2014, 01:23 PM
this clown is modern day wilt, all the tools and shit yet comes up short for no apparent reason

claim to be MDE but never won or go deep into the playoffs durng the 90s against the great centers...

he had a good orlando team but they shouldve made more ECF/Finals appearances with or without jordan bulls in the way...

Kidd K
07-23-2014, 01:36 PM
Derek Jeter
Kobe Bryant
Jeremy Lin
young Vince Carter
Allen Iverson

Way more overrated, off the top of my head. Shaq is rated roughly properly imo by pretty much everyone except Shaq himself.

ambchang
07-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Why are Laker fans turning on their own legends.

The same's gonna happen to Kobe when they have their next superstar.

kobe4life
07-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Infidel that will never happen. God is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

tdunk21
07-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Swaggy P???? :lmao

~O~
07-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I disagree.

Brunodf
07-23-2014, 01:58 PM
He is overrated and his defense was average...But still 30 ppg on 60% FG can't be ignored, he is a top 6-10 without a doubt

Killakobe81
07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Saying that Shaq is overrated is no different than saying Magic was a mediocre defender as he got older, or Kobe had shaky shot selection (always) or sometimesy defense as he got older. Difference is Shaq cut short his prime by letting himself go and did not fully dedicate himself until 2000 (MVP year) under PJ. Shaq is a top 5 Laker all-time (behind Magic, Kobe, West and Kareem) just above Worthy and the Mikan/Baylor/wilt/Goodrich (who I never saw play obviously) and being a top 5 Laker pretty much means he is top 15 all-time.

ambchang
07-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Saying that Shaq is overrated is no different than saying Magic was a mediocre defender as he got older, or Kobe had shaky shot selection (always) or sometimesy defense as he got older. Difference is Shaq cut short his prime by letting himself go and did not fully dedicate himself until 2000 (MVP year) under PJ. Shaq is a top 5 Laker all-time (behind Magic, Kobe, West and Kareem) just above Worthy and the Mikan/Baylor/wilt/Goodrich (who I never saw play obviously) and being a top 5 Laker pretty much means he is top 15 all-time.

Magic WAS a mediocre defender almost throughout his career. He racked up some nice steals playing the passing lanes when he was younger, but he always had trouble with quicker smaller guards.
Kobe has always had horrible shot selection and his defense stinks up the joint once he got older.

Those are assessments of his game.

Saying Shaq is overrated is not an assessment of his game, it's an attack on his legacy with the assumption that there is a universal rating for the player. Sure, Shaq didn't dedicate himself as much as he should, but he is WAY ahead of Worthy (as either a player or a Laker, alphas for a year > 3rd option for a career). He is also unquestionably above Kobe and maybe above West (as a player, not as a Laker), and is most definitely top 10 all time.

As a Laker, I can see why you would rank him behind Kobe and West, but if using that logic, he should also be ranked behind Mikan and Baylor as those two old timers kept the Lakers competitive since the dawn of time.

That said, still don't know why Laker fans are turning against their own legends. They did it to Shaq to prop up Kobe, did it to Wilt to prop up Shaq, did it to Kareem to prop up Shaq, did it to Magic to prop up Kobe, did it to West to prop up Kobe, did it to West to prop up Magic, and on and on. I know it's going to continue to happen, but I can never figure out why.

You don't people attacking Gervin to prop up Manu or pissing on Robinson to prop up Duncan (maybe because Duncan > Robinson), or people undervaluing Larry Legend to prop up Pierce or Reggie Lewis. It's just this weird phenomenon in Lakerland.

Mori Chu
07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
OP, you forgot:

Shitty "analyst" for TNT, can't even speak, not funny, annoying, then (hopefully soon) run out of town.

Buddy Mignon
07-23-2014, 04:24 PM
OP, you forgot:

This is true.

DMC
07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Magic WAS a mediocre defender almost throughout his career. He racked up some nice steals playing the passing lanes when he was younger, but he always had trouble with quicker smaller guards.
Kobe has always had horrible shot selection and his defense stinks up the joint once he got older.

Saying Shaq is overrated is not an assessment of his game, it's an attack on his legacy with the assumption that there is a universal rating for the player. Sure, Shaq didn't dedicate himself as much as he should, but he is WAY ahead of Worthy (as either a player or a Laker, alphas for a year > 3rd option for a career). He is also unquestionably above Kobe and maybe above West (as a player, not as a Laker), and is most definitely top 10 all time.

As a Laker, I can see why you would rank him behind Kobe and West, but if using that logic, he should also be ranked behind Mikan and Baylor as those two old timers kept the Lakers competitive since the dawn of time.

That said, still don't know why Laker fans are turning against their own legends. They did it to Shaq to prop up Kobe, did it to Wilt to prop up Shaq, did it to Kareem to prop up Shaq, did it to Magic to prop up Kobe, did it to West to prop up Kobe, did it to West to prop up Magic, and on and on. I know it's going to continue to happen, but I can never figure out why.

You don't people attacking Gervin to prop up Manu or pissing on Robinson to prop up Duncan (maybe because Duncan > Robinson), or people undervaluing Larry Legend to prop up Pierce or Reggie Lewis. It's just this weird phenomenon in Lakerland.

Because they are faggots

Infinite_limit
07-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Definitely Top 10 "Wasted talents".

He should be hands down greatest player since Jordan but isn't because off the court shit came along

Fpoonsie
07-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Damn. Luva on muh fukkin' point.

Prahps.

Big Empty
07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Nah. Shaq was a force. Noone could guard the guy in the paint. When he finally did get back on D he was tough to go up against. theres a reason he led 3 different teams to the finals. I think in his Prime, Robinson was the one guy who could give him minor problems sometimes. Most of the time Shaq had his way

Clipper Nation
07-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Kirby is the most overrated player in the history of sports, definitely not Shaq :lol

ElNono
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
Kirby is the most overrated player in the history of sports, definitely not Shaq :lol

Don't think Shaq paid for his own documentary? :lol

Splits
07-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Amb dropping truth nukes

TDMVPDPOY
07-23-2014, 11:20 PM
check realgm top100 player thread going atm which

this is clown is ranked 6 behind duncan

they are upto to 10 atm, lol wankers trying t o make a case for another overrated pos KG to be top 10

Arcadian
07-23-2014, 11:26 PM
You'd like that to be true, wouldn't you?

cd021
07-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Stat I look at is:

28,500+ points and 5,500 missed FTs at 53% FT

6 Finals appearances in 12 seasons.

Still a force but could have been even better...

Kool Bob Love
07-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Duncan 5
TOSB kobe 5

Leetonidas
07-24-2014, 03:33 AM
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Naruto_8f7672_129470.jpg

wanggi
07-24-2014, 06:37 AM
In all seriousness, Shaq wasn't a qualified basketball player who was incapable of shooting, making free throw...

Killakobe81
07-24-2014, 11:10 AM

I love when folks speak in absolutes about things that are subjective. Do you do this in your business and personal life as well?

I did not assault his game because I dont want to be one of those ones that are doing so for "kobe based reasons". But since for you it ALWAYS comes back to Kobe. Shaq was a historically bad FT shooter, horrid pnr defender, cared more about TV and rap than improving his post game. Had very limited range and clashed with team-mates and FO at almost every stop even though he was great with fans and the community. How about that?

I liked Shaq not loved Shaq and it has nothing to do with Kobe, but I freely admit that I chose Kobe during their beef. After watching young Tim ring in 1999 I argued at rec games and the barber shop we should trade him for Duncan straight-up. Now granted, Shaq was the primary force of the next 3 title teams ...and got in GREAT Shape in 2000. And I thought My proposed trade agfter his first MVP year was stupid ... but Tim added 2 more Finals MVP's and two MVP's soon after. This despite Shaq being taller, stronger and faster than Duncan. UNDERACHIEVER.

That being said one of the most dominant players I have ever seen when motivated and if we got 2000 Shaq more often not Kobe, MJ or Lebron would be greater.

ambchang
07-24-2014, 12:05 PM
I love when folks speak in absolutes about things that are subjective. Do you do this in your business and personal life as well?

I did not assault his game because I dont want to be one of those ones that are doing so for "kobe based reasons". But since for you it ALWAYS comes back to Kobe. Shaq was a historically bad FT shooter, horrid pnr defender, cared more about TV and rap than improving his post game. Had very limited range and clashed with team-mates and FO at almost every stop even though he was great with fans and the community. How about that?

I liked Shaq not loved Shaq and it has nothing to do with Kobe, but I freely admit that I chose Kobe during their beef. After watching young Tim ring in 1999 I argued at rec games and the barber shop we should trade him for Duncan straight-up. Now granted, Shaq was the primary force of the next 3 title teams ...and got in GREAT Shape in 2000. And I thought My proposed trade agfter his first MVP year was stupid ... but Tim added 2 more Finals MVP's and two MVP's soon after. This despite Shaq being taller, stronger and faster than Duncan. UNDERACHIEVER.

That being said one of the most dominant players I have ever seen when motivated and if we got 2000 Shaq more often not Kobe, MJ or Lebron would be greater.

So speaking in absolutes that say, Jordan was indisputably greater than John Paxson, is something that is an issue?

Hey, Paxon was definitely the betters shooter, but it still doesn't change the fact that Jordan was indisputably better.

Shaq was a better leader (not alienating his teammates), one of the greatest of all time in the low post, fantastic passer out of the post, historically agile and quick for a man of his size and strength, and just overall a better basketball player. And for all those things you listed about Shaq, he was STILL better than Kobe and West (as a player, not a Laker).

As for height and strength, Artis Gilmore was stronger and taller than almost anybody in NBA history, there there were a whole list of people taller and stronger than Jordan, Bird, Magic, but they aren't underachievers because of that. This is a game that is MUCH more than physical size and strength, and I am shocked you came up with an "argument" that is so ridiculously nonsensical.

In terms of absolute peak in dominance, I would have Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Lebron and Jabbar as having the top 5 peaks. Wilt as an old timer, and Dr. J in the ABA. There really aren't any others who are even close to their level of dominance during their absolute primes.

Cry Havoc
07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
Ambchang with A10 warthog level of ground-pounding.

Laker fans turn on their former players because they have a fragile ego in tinseltown. That's the only reason you would EVER throw a legend who won you multiple rings under the bus. It's fucking bizarre. I mean, come on killa, you gotta admit that not even PHILLY fans, who set the bar for shitty fanbases, would do this. Can you imagine them doing this to AI? And he didn't even ring! I say this as someone who was absolutely no fan at all of Shaq in his day, but the lengths Lakers fans will go to in order to prop up certain legacies is absolutely absurd.

Killakobe81
07-24-2014, 12:56 PM
So speaking in absolutes that say, Jordan was indisputably greater than John Paxson, is something that is an issue?

Hey, Paxon was definitely the betters shooter, but it still doesn't change the fact that Jordan was indisputably better.

Shaq was a better leader (not alienating his teammates), one of the greatest of all time in the low post, fantastic passer out of the post, historically agile and quick for a man of his size and strength, and just overall a better basketball player. And for all those things you listed about Shaq, he was STILL better than Kobe and West (as a player, not a Laker).

As for height and strength, Artis Gilmore was stronger and taller than almost anybody in NBA history, there there were a whole list of people taller and stronger than Jordan, Bird, Magic, but they aren't underachievers because of that. This is a game that is MUCH more than physical size and strength, and I am shocked you came up with an "argument" that is so ridiculously nonsensical.

In terms of absolute peak in dominance, I would have Jordan, Bird, Shaq, Lebron and Jabbar as having the top 5 peaks. Wilt as an old timer, and Dr. J in the ABA. There really aren't any others who are even close to their level of dominance during their absolute primes.

Why most you be so obtuse? For a person that seems as intelligent as you appear to be the subject of Kobe and ridiculous correlations like Paxson TO MJ really cripple your credibility. We were talking Laker greats I think everyone I mentioned (as you did in your previous post) were all HOF'ers why would you bring a scrub in to the conversation? YEsI can absolutely say MJ is greater than Paxson, and Kobe and Shaq and Duncan. But to say without a doubt and unquestionably when you are talking Shaq vs. Kobe or Duncan etc is asinine. I can even "get" someone arguing at his peak that Shaq was more dominant than MJ this is all fucking opinions and the fact that you act like yours is somehow more valuable or credible than mine especially when you refuse to acknowledge your bias is laughable.

Shaq was definitely more popular than Kobe on his teams no doubt about it... But how was he a better "leader"? When he was the unquestioned leader without Phil or before Kobe matured he did not win shit. Did not alienate team-mates? Ask Penny, ask Kobe, ask Nash, Eddie Jones, Nick van Exel or even Wade at the end. Nash even threatened him with litigation for stealing his idea for a shitty TV show. If he is as great and dominant and also a better leader why has he been swept out of the playoffs as many times as he has. Shouldnt a great leader who was also such a dominant leader lead his team to one win? So Koeb can be derided for leading a team to missing the playoffs or losing in the first round but a guy that is unquestionably as great as you say he is fail to lead "good, not great" teams to one playoff win?

I know it does not fit your little campaign but the reality is fisher and Fox were the true leaders of the Lakers 3 peat in the locker-room even if Shaqobe led them on the court. And Phil really took leadership away from them with his presence and so I dont credit either with leadership. in fact both did more damage to locker-room harmony. I believe the late great Jim Murray wrote about how Shaq used to clown Eddie Jones on the bench about he was a choker and used to laugh when he would pass up late game shots. What a great team-mate what an amazing leader. Was Eddie Jones an asshole? Did he do anything to deserve that type of derision from the team leader could you imagine Duncan or even Kobe doing that? By all accounts not only was EJ a quiet introspective type he was even better than Kobe and Shaq in the community very humble.

Please Amb send your Kobe/Shaq spin elsewhere ... because you dont know as much about that team as I do. I read the LA Times, Daily News and Orange county Register during that era. I followed the team CLOSE. You appear to know very little about Shaq. And how exactly were you judging his leadership btw? Wins and losses? Press accounts? Or just by your blind Kobe hate?

manufan10
07-24-2014, 01:21 PM
If it wasn't for Shaq it would be
Duncan 5
TOSB Kobe 2

Because of Shaq it's
Duncan 5
TOSB Kobe 5

Killakobe81
07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
If it wasn't for Shaq it would be
Duncan 5
TOSB Kobe 2

Because of Shaq it's
Duncan 5
TOSB Kobe 5

Of course Without Horry ...

Duncan 3 Kobe 3

Without Ray Allen it's

Duncan 6 Kobe 5

Cry Havoc
07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Why most you be so obtuse? For a person that seems as intelligent as you appear to be the subject of Kobe and ridiculous correlations like Paxson TO MJ really cripple your credibility. We were talking Laker greats I think everyone I mentioned (as you did in your previous post) were all HOF'ers why would you bring a scrub in to the conversation? YEsI can absolutely say MJ is greater than Paxson, and Kobe and Shaq and Duncan. But to say without a doubt and unquestionably when you are talking Shaq vs. Kobe or Duncan etc is asinine. I can even "get" someone arguing at his peak that Shaq was more dominant than MJ this is all fucking opinions and the fact that you act like yours is somehow more valuable or credible than mine especially when you refuse to acknowledge your bias is laughable.

Shaq was definitely more popular than Kobe on his teams no doubt about it? But how was he a better "leader"? When he was the unquestioned leader without Phil or before Kobe matured he did not win shit. Did not alienate team-mates? Ask Penny, ask Kobe, ask Nash, Eddie Jones, Nick van Exel or even Wade at the end. Nash even threatened him with litigation for stealing his idea for a shitty TV show.

I know it does not fit your little campaign but the reality is fisher and Fox were the true leaders of the Lakers 3 peat in the locker-room even if Shaqobe led them on the court. And Phil really took leadership away from them with his presence and so I dont credit either with leadership. in fact both did more damage to locker-room harmony. I believe the late great Jim Murray wrote about how Shaq used to clown Eddie Jones on the bench about he was a choker and used to laugh when he would pass up late game shots. What a great team-mate what an amazing leader. Was Eddie Jones an asshole? Did he do anything to deserve that type of derision from the team leader could you imagine Duncan or even Kobe doing that? By all accounts not only was EJ a quiet introspective type he was even better than Kobe and Shaq in the community very humble.

Please Amb send your Kobe/Shaq spin elsewhere ... because you dont know as much about that team as I do. I read the LA Times, Daily News and Orange county Register during that era. I followed the team CLOSE. You appear to know very little about Shaq. And how exactly were you judging his leadership btw? Wins and losses? Press accounts? Or just by your blind Kobe hate?

I don't think anyone has ever thought of Shaq as some incredible leader. However, Kobe Bryant is seriously the biggest headcase of a teammate of any of the top 15 players of all time. No one did so much to alienate so many players... And not scrubs, ALL-WORLD players that Kobe just couldn't handle. It's absurd that Kobe quite literally ran two of the best big men in the NBA out of town. 3 if you count Bynum, who Kobe eviscerated before he even set foot on the court.

Cry Havoc
07-24-2014, 01:26 PM

Duncan 3 Kobe 3

Without Ray Allen it's

Duncan 6 Kobe 5

What? Since when was Horry key for the Spurs for anything other than the 05 run?

ambchang
07-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Jordan > Paxson is an opinion as well, it's an opinion that's shared by 100% of the people in the world, including Paxson's grandmother, but it's still an opinion.

The issue you have is with the magnitude in difference between Shaq and Kobe vs. Jordan and Paxson, and I am not arguing that Jordan > Paxson at the same level as Shaq > Kobe, but I am arguing that there are absolutes, even in opinions, because of the number of people sharing that opinion.

Other than Kobe fans, it is impossible to even argue Kobe > Shaq as a basketball player. People make Shaq out to be only dominant during the 3 peat, but conveniently ignored the fact that he was putting up similar numbers since his second season. His understanding of the game improved as he aged, but his dominance had been going on for years. He had a solid 6 or 7 year run (after Hakeem and Robinson's decline) where teams were adjusting their entire defensive makeup to adjust for his dominance. Scrubs like Scott Pollard and Chris Dudley got recognition as some sort of valuable contributor because they can give those extra 6 fouls on Shaq, players like Mengke Bateer actually got jobs in the NBA because of their size and 6 fouls, and that went on, not for the three peat, it went on from about 97 to 04.

Kobe can't even have one single season with that level of dominance, and his peak was when his team stunk. Kobe was best from 05 to 06. Not only did his team stunk, his peak wasn't even remotely close to Shaq's semi-peak.

Shaq was definitely more popular than Kobe on his teams no doubt about it... But how was he a better "leader"? When he was the unquestioned leader without Phil or before Kobe matured he did not win shit. Did not alienate team-mates? Ask Penny, ask Kobe, ask Nash, Eddie Jones, Nick van Exel or even Wade at the end. Nash even threatened him with litigation for stealing his idea for a shitty TV show. If he is as great and dominant and also a better leader why has he been swept out of the playoffs as many times as he has. Shouldnt a great leader who was also such a dominant leader lead his team to one win? So Koeb can be derided for leading a team to missing the playoffs or losing in the first round but a guy that is unquestionably as great as you say he is fail to lead "good, not great" teams to one playoff win?

Shaq was swept in a few series, not in the first round. You make it sound like he never won a playoff game without Kobe. Actually scratch that, I don't even know what you are trying to say. Are you trying to argue Shaq was swept therefore he is a lesser leader than Kobe? I don't get that, you have to spell it out for me.

And I didn't say Shaq is the best teammate, I said he's better than Kobe, which really isn't that hard to do. I mean, NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, top ratting out your teammate to cops during a finals run (maybe sleeping with his wife/mom, so Delonte takes the cake in that one). The number of teammates Kobe threw under the bus can be a basketball team on their own, complete with a coaching staff.

No question both were horrible people, you can even gloat that Kobe never mocked the mentally disabled on social network, just that Kobe was worse. And yes, I totally agree Fisher was the leader, which is a huge reason Kobe needed him to ring all 5 times (and Phil).

:lol I know this, Kobe ratted Shaq out to the cops after not hanging around the team in any events.
I know Kobe was hurt by nobody supporting him during the rape trial, only to be put in his place by Brian Shaw telling him that they barely know him
I know Kobe had huge beef with Smush Parker AFTER Parker was gone
I know Kobe threw the entire management under the bus for his own failures
I know Kobe publicly derided MVPau over and over again despite MVPau's contribution. Taking all the credit and deflecting all the blame.
I know Kobe threw Bynum under the bus

Killakobe81
07-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Jordan > Paxson is an opinion as well, it's an opinion that's shared by 100% of the people in the world, including Paxson's grandmother, but it's still an opinion.

The issue you have is with the magnitude in difference between Shaq and Kobe vs. Jordan and Paxson, and I am not arguing that Jordan > Paxson at the same level as Shaq > Kobe, but I am arguing that there are absolutes, even in opinions, because of the number of people sharing that opinion.

Other than Kobe fans, it is impossible to even argue Kobe > Shaq as a basketball player. People make Shaq out to be only dominant during the 3 peat, but conveniently ignored the fact that he was putting up similar numbers since his second season. His understanding of the game improved as he aged, but his dominance had been going on for years. He had a solid 6 or 7 year run (after Hakeem and Robinson's decline) where teams were adjusting their entire defensive makeup to adjust for his dominance. Scrubs like Scott Pollard and Chris Dudley got recognition as some sort of valuable contributor because they can give those extra 6 fouls on Shaq, players like Mengke Bateer actually got jobs in the NBA because of their size and 6 fouls, and that went on, not for the three peat, it went on from about 97 to 04.

Kobe can't even have one single season with that level of dominance, and his peak was when his team stunk. Kobe was best from 05 to 06. Not only did his team stunk, his peak wasn't even remotely close to Shaq's semi-peak.

Shaq was swept in a few series, not in the first round. You make it sound like he never won a playoff game without Kobe. Actually scratch that, I don't even know what you are trying to say. Are you trying to argue Shaq was swept therefore he is a lesser leader than Kobe? I don't get that, you have to spell it out for me.

And I didn't say Shaq is the best teammate, I said he's better than Kobe, which really isn't that hard to do. I mean, NOTHING, I mean NOTHING, top ratting out your teammate to cops during a finals run (maybe sleeping with his wife/mom, so Delonte takes the cake in that one). The number of teammates Kobe threw under the bus can be a basketball team on their own, complete with a coaching staff.

No question both were horrible people, you can even gloat that Kobe never mocked the mentally disabled on social network, just that Kobe was worse. And yes, I totally agree Fisher was the leader, which is a huge reason Kobe needed him to ring all 5 times (and Phil).

:lol I know this, Kobe ratted Shaq out to the cops after not hanging around the team in any events.
I know Kobe was hurt by nobody supporting him during the rape trial, only to be put in his place by Brian Shaw telling him that they barely know him
I know Kobe had huge beef with Smush Parker AFTER Parker was gone
I know Kobe threw the entire management under the bus for his own failures
I know Kobe publicly derided MVPau over and over again despite MVPau's contribution. Taking all the credit and deflecting all the blame.
I know Kobe threw Bynum under the bus

Never argued Kobe was a great leader or a great team-mate. Just saying because you dont like Kobe you gloss over Shaq's failings. Shaq is a great player but should have been GOAT imho. And no he is not the greatest Laker not even the GOAT Lakers center. Definitely a great player where he ranks among the very great is definitely debatable. And the fact you say there is no debate but spent all those words to argue it and keep making the same shitty arguments over and over with such vigor tells me. No one needs to go to so much work to debate Lebron over Durant ... for example.

Killakobe81
07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
Ambchang with A10 warthog level of ground-pounding.

Laker fans turn on their former players because they have a fragile ego in tinseltown. That's the only reason you would EVER throw a legend who won you multiple rings under the bus. It's fucking bizarre. I mean, come on killa, you gotta admit that not even PHILLY fans, who set the bar for shitty fanbases, would do this. Can you imagine them doing this to AI? And he didn't even ring! I say this as someone who was absolutely no fan at all of Shaq in his day, but the lengths Lakers fans will go to in order to prop up certain legacies is absolutely absurd.

Cry I have no beef with you but isnt Amb guilty of going to even greater lengths to discredit Kobe? I argued Shaq's place but I dont see how you can not see a reasonable argument that Kareem Magic and even Kobe are greater. Not saying any is a definite fact are or it's not debatable but when Amb with his posts acts that his position is unassailable is my issue here. I can see a case (Easily) that Shaq is greater than Kobe but acting like it's not close is silly and biased. And I dont spend my days bashing Shaq he is not my favorite Laker not even close ...but he is definitely the greatest I saw not named Magic or Kareem (as a Laker)

Cry just because you also dont like Kobe doesnt mean AMb is right here.

ambchang
07-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Never argued Kobe was a great leader or a great team-mate. Just saying because you dont like Kobe you gloss over Shaq's failings. Shaq is a great player but should have been GOAT imho. And no he is not the greatest Laker not even the GOAT Lakers center. Definitely a great player where he ranks among the very great is definitely debatable. And the fact you say there is no debate but spent all those words to argue it and keep making the same shitty arguments over and over with such vigor tells me. No one needs to go to so much work to debate Lebron over Durant ... for example.

There really is a reason I am glossing over Shaq's failings, because I am comparing him against Kobe! It's like saying a petty thief is a saint compared to an armed robber, there' s no need for me to go over how the petty thief once stole a roll of toilet paper from the office because I am comparing him to some guy who pistol whipped a 16-year old cash register in a gas station before stealing $250 from a cash register.

I need to go through all those words because, apparently, you don't get it, and you seem to be in the minority as well. I am talking to you now, am I? You have made it clear you see Kobe > Shaq, no?

EDIT: You haven't seem to produce a case of Kobe > Shaq, is it because Kobe is so much > Shaq that there is no reason to, or is it because there is none?

Killakobe81
07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
There really is a reason I am glossing over Shaq's failings, because I am comparing him against Kobe! It's like saying a petty thief is a saint compared to an armed robber, there' s no need for me to go over how the petty thief once stole a roll of toilet paper from the office because I am comparing him to some guy who pistol whipped a 16-year old cash register in a gas station before stealing $250 from a cash register.

I need to go through all those words because, apparently, you don't get it, and you seem to be in the minority as well. I am talking to you now, am I? You have made it clear you see Kobe > Shaq, no?

EDIT: You haven't seem to produce a case of Kobe > Shaq, is it because Kobe is so much > Shaq that there is no reason to, or is it because there is none?

Because your hate blinds you. Read the OP post or the title of this thread. It is SHAQ that is the subject not Kobe. I do not agree with the OP and said so in my first reply. I just said Shaq is overrated which he is ,,,by some. DO Kobe fans underrate him? Sure, they do. But I stand by my posts. Why would I argue Kobe over Shaq here ... when that was not the topic at hand? And why waste my time when you are obviously pre-disposed to your position? In the time we have had discourse on here what indication have you given that you would even consider my POV? SO why should I bother? for validation from the Laker/Kobe crew? To get internet cred? To have Cry (no offense Havoc) suck me off? I chose to speak on the Shaq is overrated premise have no interest in making the Kobe>Shaq case, here. Just arguing it's debatable which is pretty obvious because you keep doing it.

LOL you topped your Paxson analogy with an even more outrageous one ... congratulations! Am i suppose to take that seriously and do you real think your wall of words are gonna convince anyone? All you get is a response from Kool and handjobs from those that already agree with you. Props.

Jenks
07-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Duncan 3 Kobe 3and Robinson 3 :D

baseline bum
07-24-2014, 03:25 PM

Duncan 3 Kobe 3

Without Ray Allen it's

Duncan 6 Kobe 5

No, without Rob it's

Duncan 3
Tired old shit bag Bryant 2

florige
07-24-2014, 04:09 PM
Nah. Shaq was a force. Noone could guard the guy in the paint. When he finally did get back on D he was tough to go up against. theres a reason he led 3 different teams to the finals. I think in his Prime, es. Robinson was the one guy who could give him minor problems sometime Most of the time Shaq had his way

D-Rob is my all-time favorite player, but Shaq in his prime would crap all over Robinson. Especially when the league started letting him get away with backing his opponent down with that shoulder and just driving it straight into the chest of whoever was guarding him. Plus Robinson was too afraid of getting dunked on to really play Shaq tough. I would say Mutumbo would give Shaq more of a problem than Robinson.

ambchang
07-24-2014, 09:09 PM
D-Rob is my all-time favorite player, but Shaq in his prime would crap all over Robinson. Especially when the league started letting him get away with backing his opponent down with that shoulder and just driving it straight into the chest of whoever was guarding him. Plus Robinson was too afraid of getting dunked on to really play Shaq tough. I would say Mutumbo would give Shaq more of a problem than Robinson.
Apparently you've never watched Robinson play shaq.

Dunc n Dave
07-24-2014, 11:53 PM

As someone who witnessed Robinson's entire career, watching every game he played... I'd have to disagree that Robinson was "too afraid of gettign dunked on to really play Shaq tough."
Before the back injury, Robinson gave Shaq more trouble than any other center in the 90's. DRob was 5-2 vs Shaq from 93-96.
During those 7 meetings:
Robinson: 29.4 PPG, 12.1 rebs, 2.7blks
Shaq: 25.2PPG, 13.2 rebs, 1.7blks

I'd say DRob held his own against a young Orlando Shaq. After the back injury (during Shaq's Lakers days) the stats definitely skewed Shaq's way, but DRob still did a better job of defending Shaq than Duncan could (or 90% of centers in the league could from 1999-2002). Duncan was too skinny to adequately defend Shaq, so the Spurs were forced to let Malik Rose (he of the infamous "pull the chair" move) try to defend Shaq when DRob was out of the game.

If your argument is that Shaq's prime was 1999-2002, then yes, Shaq crapped on him and EVERYONE in the league. Dave still did an adequate job against him, considering his loss of athleticism due to the injuries. I hated Shaq back in those days, because the no one could stop him. I always complained about his bulldozing his way to the basket, but I can't blame the guy for doing it as long as the league let him get away with it. He took a lot more punishment than he ever dished out though, with guys physically assaulting him to stop him from getting "And-1's."

ambchang
07-25-2014, 06:04 AM
Because your hate blinds you. Read the OP post or the title of this thread. It is SHAQ that is the subject not Kobe. I do not agree with the OP and said so in my first reply. I just said Shaq is overrated which he is ,,,by some. DO Kobe fans underrate him? Sure, they do. But I stand by my posts. Why would I argue Kobe over Shaq here ... when that was not the topic at hand? And why waste my time when you are obviously pre-disposed to your position? In the time we have had discourse on here what indication have you given that you would even consider my POV? SO why should I bother? for validation from the Laker/Kobe crew? To get internet cred? To have Cry (no offense Havoc) suck me off? I chose to speak on the Shaq is overrated premise have no interest in making the Kobe>Shaq case, here. Just arguing it's debatable which is pretty obvious because you keep doing it.[/quote

A) you'd have to be a total idiot not to know OPs intention
B) you brought Kobe up before I did in this thread
C) you assessed Kobe's game before I did in this thread
D) you compared shaq to Kobe before I did in this thread

[QUOTE=Killakobe81;7526321]LOL you topped your Paxson analogy with an even more outrageous one ... congratulations! Am i suppose to take that seriously and do you real think your wall of words are gonna convince anyone? All you get is a response from Kool and handjobs from those that already agree with you. Props.

The paxson analogy is to directly address your assertion that comparing players in absolutes is invalid. I showed that it was because well, it was. And I reiterate, is Jordan > paxson at the same level of shaq > Kobe? No. But it's just as valid.

Finally, you still didn't come up with one argument of Kobe > shaq as a player when you said any reasonable people can do so. I didn't say it. You did.

Killakobe81
07-25-2014, 07:50 AM
Wouldnt go that far. But he is overrated on here and not just by Kobe haters. Before "5" even some Spur fans rated Shaq over Tim. O'neal's prime is 2nd to none, but was far too short because he let himself get fat and he definitely under-achieved. He had the tools to be GOAT big and GOAT over MJ ...

Reading is fundamental.
1. Agree OP had ulterior motives, that is fine address him not me.
2. I started on here with (AGAIN was the topic) that SHAQ is OVERRATED and I said NOT just by Kobe haters. Meaning that I do believe there are SOME that OVERRATE HIM and it has notthing to do with Kobe hate. That was MY only original mention of Kobe but since you have a secret love for the man you decided to run with that.
3. I even followed up with someone arguing Shaq is overrated is no different than me as a Laker fan first and a Kobe fan secondary I can criticize Kobe's shot selection and sometimesy defense just as easily as I can say that Shaq is overrated. How is that attacking his legacy? And why do I need to be a protector of his legacy like you insecure fans that overrate Robinson or Duncan. Shaq is great, Kobe is great, Duncan is greaT Robinson is great. ALL are over/under rated by posters on here. IF i say Kobe is overrated because Magic is the GOAT Laker does that mean I am attacking his legacy? Are you saying there are no SPur fans that attack Tony to prop Manu and vice-versa. Or knock Robinson to prop Tim? (tim won with less help than ...). All AVERAGE fans do that ... I am far from common.
4. Again why should I make a case for Kobe over Shaq. I already have stated that opinion before. It is not the original subject matter and again until you can discuss it without all the emotional off the court bullshit and nebulous shit like "leadership" out of your posts I regard the exercise as futile. Again I dont care if Tim is gay Kobe is gay or if they are shitty team-mates. MJ was a shitty team-mate and father and not the best leader. I may prefer Magic over him but that doesnt make him the GOAT (though I love kiddk and his ratings stat :lol :toast)
5. Shaq is a all-time great player. I think as bigs go behind ...Kareem & duncan but on par with HAkeem (though I can see it argued either way) with an edge over Moses, Ewing, Robinson etc.
6. Last my only issue is you saying that it cannot be argued (Kobe>Shaq) even though of COURSE it can. You say rings are a team accomplishment but yet pull out that "alpha" bullshit and overrate Pau as wel. Whatever. wont waste my time making that case if you feel that is some type of victory, enjoy it. Continuing on that path is a loss for me arguing something I dont even really care that much about. Shaq is a great player. Besides there are bbigger Kobe fans than I am that would love to debate that. You know me I dont argue this point because all though it's close for me it's already decided. To me duncan vs. Kobe is far more interesting but we have that "dance" scheduled for later. I freely admit right now you have the upper hand and my case is getting weaker. But that is a story for another day.
7. Using dumb analogies accomplishes nothing. Do you realize how silly it is to compare Jordan and Paxson to Shaq/Kobe? and to defend it by basically saying Oh well it is dumb but not THAT dumb. ...I am proving a point" ...No it's just dumb. And I expect better from you.
8. The OP is ridiculous. No way he is the most overrated I would not even say he is greatly overrated I would say some just overrate him slightly.
* For the record Shaq has been swept out of the playoffs 6 times Twice in the 1st round (1 in Orlando and 1 in MIA) Along with 4 times with Lakers (IIRC)

Horse
07-25-2014, 12:30 PM

You usually have your head up your ass but your dead on with this. He got away with murder, didn't play D, underwhelming rebounder for his size and unreliable in the clutch cause of ft shooting.

Horse
07-25-2014, 12:33 PM
As someone who witnessed Robinson's entire career, watching every game he played... I'd have to disagree that Robinson was "too afraid of gettign dunked on to really play Shaq tough."
Before the back injury, Robinson gave Shaq more trouble than any other center in the 90's. DRob was 5-2 vs Shaq from 93-96.
During those 7 meetings:
Robinson: 29.4 PPG, 12.1 rebs, 2.7blks
Shaq: 25.2PPG, 13.2 rebs, 1.7blks

I'd say DRob held his own against a young Orlando Shaq. After the back injury (during Shaq's Lakers days) the stats definitely skewed Shaq's way, but DRob still did a better job of defending Shaq than Duncan could (or 90% of centers in the league could from 1999-2002). Duncan was too skinny to adequately defend Shaq, so the Spurs were forced to let Malik Rose (he of the infamous "pull the chair" move) try to defend Shaq when DRob was out of the game.

If your argument is that Shaq's prime was 1999-2002, then yes, Shaq crapped on him and EVERYONE in the league. Dave still did an adequate job against him, considering his loss of athleticism due to the injuries. I hated Shaq back in those days, because the no one could stop him. I always complained about his bulldozing his way to the basket, but I can't blame the guy for doing it as long as the league let him get away with it. He took a lot more punishment than he ever dished out though, with guys physically assaulting him to stop him from getting "And-1's."

When healthy Drob didn't just hold his own, he owned shaq. I remember Drob going for 30-something and beating the magic on shaq's b-day. Let's also not forget who won their last meeting ending the 3-peat.