07-23-2014, 08:31 PM
SPOILER ALERT: He'll play

spursparker9
07-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Yeah he will play.

Russ
07-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Stein hardly broke this news:

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/argentina-head-coach-lamas-says-tests-results-on-ginobilis-injury-coming-soon.html

SupremeGuy
07-23-2014, 09:05 PM
Time for the Spurs to enforce the injury rule. Hell yeah.

Mikeanaro
07-23-2014, 09:14 PM
I hope he retires from the NT, whats the point anyway? playing with scrubs and risking his body just because some tired old farts like scola nocioni prigioni delfino and hermann are his friends, they wanna make the farewell tour and he will get hurt.

Mark in Austin
07-23-2014, 11:46 PM
I really don't have a problem if it's really a farewell tour / elder statesman role. But if they try to ride him 30 minutes a night that's what I'll have an issue with.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-23-2014, 11:53 PM
time for the Spurs to pay off a doc or two.

hater
07-24-2014, 01:02 AM
asshole

urunobili
07-24-2014, 08:36 AM
I really don't have a problem if it's really a farewell tour / elder statesman role. But if they try to ride him 30 minutes a night that's what I'll have an issue with.

bigfan
07-24-2014, 08:48 AM
I don't want him to play but if he does, so be it, he earned it.

xmas1997
07-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I really don't think the ANT will get very far, they don't have the talent they had in the past.

marinoman
07-24-2014, 01:51 PM
asshole

thats weird, I think that after I read your posts

xmas1997
07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
thats weird, I think that after I read your posts

:lmao:lol:lmao
:lobt2:

manufan10
07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
The soap opera that has been Manu Ginobili's (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21775/manu-ginobili) potential presence on the FIBA World Cup in Spain has reached perhaps its saddest chapter. Only one day before Manu is supposed to have an MRI to see if the injury has healed, there seems to be a possibility the stars of the team all sit out the tournament in protest of the terrible state of the Argentine Basketball Association. Luis Scola (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/24219/luis-scola), the unquestionable leader of the squad, gave an interview to Hernán Sartori of Argentine Newspaper Clarín (http://www.clarin.com/deportes/edicion-impresa/juego-Mundial-culpa-gestion-horrenda_0_1180682055.html)in which he showed his anger and frustration with the situation and didn't rule out pulling out of the World Cup.
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/7/24/5934159/fiba-world-cup-internal-crisis-manu-ginobili

ironman2886
07-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Manu needs to play his last season with the Spurs, and then he can play as much ball as his wants in Argentina. Tired of NT crap. Get over it Manu.

exstatic
07-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Is it Friday in Argentina yet?

Clipper Nation
07-24-2014, 06:22 PM
time for the Spurs to pay off a doc or two.
Too late, ElNono already bribed the doctors to let his client play :downspin:

Biernutz
07-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Manu is proud of his country but the way they dissed their world cup team after loosing in the finals that sucks. They
rioted and the Argentina president said she never watches soccer and generally could care less.
I would like to see Manu coach the team. I'm selfish and I don't want him to play.

07-24-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm more worried about the injury itself. McGee and Holiday suffered this injury and checked up on 1-2 months afterwards. When they checked, they found out they needed season ending surgeries. Hope the injury is at least healing.

Rick Von Braun
07-24-2014, 07:10 PM
asshole

Why did you sign your post with no comments?

ElNono
07-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Apparently, the latest twist is the ARG confederation is so broke they can't afford the player's insurance for the tournament, which would basically mean none of the ARG players in the NBA could play. :lol

This is not confirmed yet, and Manu will still go through with his planned studies tomorrow. Will post more when I hear more.

Mikeanaro
07-24-2014, 07:35 PM
They will probably play anyways, but they want to give the confederation a warning because there are no new players no future at all, at the current rate Argentina will be out of FIBA in 2 years.
Thats our corruption.

exstatic
07-24-2014, 07:36 PM
They will probably play anyways, but they want to give the confederation a warning because there are no new players no future at all, at the current rate Argentina will be out of FIBA in 2 years.
Thats our corruption.

The Spurs CAN and WILL forbid him to play without insurance, with the blessings of the NBA, if the NBA doesn't step in and forbid it first.

ElNono
07-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Actually FIBA does not allow them to play without insurance. That's part of an agreement between FIBA and the NBA.

Mikeanaro
07-24-2014, 08:01 PM
The Spurs CAN and WILL forbid him to play without insurance, with the blessings of the NBA, if the NBA doesn't step in and forbid it first.
Yeah but players pay their own insurance, there is an article in spanish explaining how in the old days (circa 1999) coach Lamas and other player had to use their own credit cards to pay for some cargo excess because our confederation is full of corrupt pigs, now in 12 years our best players took Argentina to the top of the world competition and our Confederation is broken, lol corruption.
Also they own like 5 million pesos in coaches and players, but our players are not in for the money they just wanna keep things clean.
When I said they pay their own insurance I meant most of those Gold Generations players are rich so they will play no matter what, so if Manu wants to play there is no way to stop him.

SpurPadre
07-24-2014, 10:01 PM
Manu is proud of his country but the way they dissed their world cup team after loosing in the finals that sucks. They
rioted and the Argentina president said she never watches soccer and generally could care less.
I would like to see Manu coach the team. I'm selfish and I don't want him to play.

Pretty misleading. I saw video of their president Cristina kirchner addressing the team personally and while admitting that she didn't see any minute of the world cup due to being busy tending to the increasing troubles of the country, she was proud of how far they reached and considered them winners. At no point did she say she didn't care and as a fluent Spanish speaker, I can assure you of that.

Mikeanaro
07-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Pretty misleading. I saw video of their president Cristina kirchner addressing the team personally and while admitting that she didn't see any minute of the world cup due to being busy tending to the increasing troubles of the country, she was proud of how far they reached and considered them winners. At no point did she say she didn't care and as a fluent Spanish speaker, I can assure you of that.
She said I have never watched any of the games, everybody knows I don´t like futbol, but Im proud they made this far because some people would never give 20 pesos for these players but look at them now, they are World Cup finalists.
I dont know where you are from Padre but here most people is facepalming after our presidents say something, so sad.

KaiRMD1
07-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Would be funny if they win

hater
07-25-2014, 12:31 AM
Would be funny if they win

who? argentina????? :lmao no fucking way in hell :lol

SpursFan86
07-25-2014, 12:57 AM
http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/allegations-of-political-corruption-might-keep-ginobili-out-of-fiba-world-cup.html

scanry
07-25-2014, 01:32 AM
Manu must be thinking why he couldn't represent a country like France, Germany or Italy who actually take care of their players. Pretty sad that a gold medal wining team can't even afford insurance.

SpursFan86
07-25-2014, 01:35 AM
It sucks for the Argentina people, but I won't lie: I'd love if they all ended up not playing in the World Cup because of this.

baseline bum
07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
So any news?

lil'mo
07-25-2014, 11:40 AM
roflrofl

Marhq
07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
The NT Doctor just stated that the tests results were good but they will wait for input from San Antonio to make the final decision.

Saludos.

Dex
07-25-2014, 12:56 PM

What input from the Spurs?

"Uh...we'd rather he not play."

ElNono
07-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Manu Ginobili injury is "fine", but the Spurs will decide if he plays the World Championship

"The results were good, we're optimist", the positive words from Diego Grippo about Manu Ginobili's injury open a ray of hope nearing the next World Championship. The NT doctor confirmed the studies were "positive" but now they have to wait for the San Antonio Spurs' decision.

"We did a CT Scan and an MRI. The results were good and we're optimist. We're awaiting the Spur's medical staff opinion to make a final decision", said Grippo today.

"The optimism comes from him (talking about Ginobili), we're hoping that San Antonio agrees with the diagnosis", said the doctor. "There's no need for any additional tests. But the team might request some additional tests, just to be sure".

In the next few hours, the San Antonio Spurs team doctors will give their opinion about Ginobili's injury. According to the NT doctor, he should be ok to play the World championship and was optimist in his expressions. We'll know soon if Manu will play in Spain or not.

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1712956-el-medico-de-la-seleccion-dijo-que-ginobili-esta-bien-pero-no-confirmo-si-juega-el-mundial

Spur|n|Austin
07-25-2014, 01:29 PM
I'd hate for Manu to be somewhat bitter if the Spurs deny his summer play, then again I'd hate for Manu to even further F his leg up..

spurs10
07-25-2014, 01:52 PM
It sounds like the results were inconclusive. I didn't hear anyone say it was healed. I'm sure it's getting better, but the team doctors will likely be reluctant to okay him if he isn't healed. Don't ya think?

dabom
07-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Seems like it ain't 100%. I guess he'll still wanna play.

ElNono
07-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Apparently, the CT Scan of the ankle looks pretty good...

http://i60.tinypic.com/zl3pj8.jpg

ElNono
07-25-2014, 02:14 PM
At any rate, I'm glad the Spurs have the final say... this should dispel any "but, but, he's playing despite what the team says"...

dabom
07-25-2014, 02:15 PM

:lmao

Dre_7
07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
At any rate, I'm glad the Spurs have the final say... this should dispel any "but, but, he's playing despite what the team says"...

:tu

I was hoping he wouldn't play, but now that it is up to the Spurs I will be cool with whatever happens. I trust the Spurs.

marinoman
07-25-2014, 02:40 PM

Much like myself, Manu is a highly competetive gamer. Pain dont stop us.
We are a rare breed

bigfan
07-25-2014, 02:54 PM
If it is that important to him that he play, then the Spurs should let him. Manu plays on emotion and if the Spurs don't let him go it could lead to a less enthusiastic Manu next year. If I were the Spurs Id just go over the med records with him and let him decide for himself.

Mikeanaro
07-25-2014, 02:55 PM
I hope Spurs pull the trigger for good, time to say no no.

SupremeGuy
07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Sweep the leg, Spurs. End this shit. Germany fucked them, now just slice the throat. :toast

spurs10
07-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Apparently, the CT Scan of the ankle looks pretty good... http://i60.tinypic.com/zl3pj8.jpg Well it looks like he's 100% bolted together correctly! Hello Spain! I'm sure the doctors will be especially delicate with the handling of this.

spurs10
07-25-2014, 03:16 PM
If it is that important to him that he play, then the Spurs should let him. Manu plays on emotion and if the Spurs don't let him go it could lead to a less enthusiastic Manu next year. If I were the Spurs Id just go over the med records with him and let him decide for himself. Never seen the "less enthusiastic Manu" before. He seems to have one gear, the all you got gear. Sometimes it's not enough, but it's never for lack of enthusiasm. Now I know exactly what you mean and wonder if it would hurt team chemistry if he is denied approval to play. I don't think so because they are not going shut him out of the discussion. If he isn't healed properly can he even get insured to play? I think he needs a clean bill of health before he will be able to play.

07-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Sounds like the tests are inconclusive. It is probably healing but not fully healed. Manu is putting the Spurs in a difficult spot. They can say no and piss off Manu or say yes and risk his injury worsening. I would surmise that if this was the regular season, Manu would not be cleared by the team doctors to play. But the WC is for a limited time, making the decision much harder.

toki9
07-25-2014, 03:55 PM
We should just expect Manu to not play until well after the All-Star break...

ElNono
07-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Meh, Manu has been part of the Spurs family for 12 years... If the team says no, he won't be pissed at them. I also expect him and Pop to have a conversation on the subject and come to an agreement, whatever that might be.

hater
07-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Why cant he make the decision on his own???

Leaving up to the Spurs to make correct decisions for him? What a deuchbag

ducks
07-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Meh, Manu has been part of the Spurs family for 12 years... If the team says no, he won't be pissed at them. I also expect him and Pop to have a conversation on the subject and come to an agreement, whatever that might be.
if you paid him over 100 million would you say the same thing

ducks
07-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Why cant he make the decision on his own???

Leaving up to the Spurs to make correct decisions for him? What a deuchbag
he wants the spurs to be the bad guys
if it is not 100% HE FUCKING SHOULD NOT PLAY

ElNono
07-25-2014, 04:46 PM
:lol Manu can't make a decision on this because FIBA prohibits NBA players from playing if their teams deem the player is injured (or uninsured). It's part of the FIBA-NBA agreement.

I do hope the Spurs just say no if he's not fully healed by now.

DesignatedT
07-25-2014, 04:51 PM
So Manu calls out the Spurs doctors for only having the Spurs interest in mind but doesn't call out the doctor performing the check up for the national team? What gives? lmao

Acting like the Spurs have some sort of hidden agenda but ignoring the fact that the national team has just as much of one is retarded.

Of course the National Team thinks he's alright. Is Manu too stupid to realize this? Or does he think the Spurs are the only ones who are dishonest with him?

dabom
07-25-2014, 04:53 PM
So Manu calls out the Spurs doctors for only having the Spurs interest in mind but doesn't call out the doctor performing the check up for the national team? What gives? lmao

Acting like the Spurs have some sort of hidden agenda but ignoring the fact that the national team has just as much of one is retarded.

Conspiracy bro.

littlecoyotecoin
07-25-2014, 04:57 PM
We are running with CoJo at the point for 25-40 minutes a game for 50-75% of the season. Parker needs rest, too. We and he wore his ass out the last two years. He played in the summer, and we didn't rest him enough based upon that. Then when he did come back from rest we did give him rest that was too short, we played him heavy minutes coming off of that rest. Luckily Patty was able to pick up his slack, but we won't have Patty to do that, and it wasn't even enough, even then to keep him from being hobbled the rest of the season. Now Parker is a year older, not playing this summer, but still coming off two injury-riddled years, I would like to see him get Duncan and Ginobili treatment. He's younger, but he takes a lot of punishment. I fully expect to be without Patty, Manu, and Parker at some point before the half-way mark. CoJo is going to HAVE to play HEAVY minutes, and I think Marco and Kyle may be seen running point in the first 50-75% of the season a la Gary Neal. It may get ugly at the 1. But, Parker needs rest. I don't know that Bryce impressed enough that they are going to cut anyone to give him a spot for 1/2 a season.

DesignatedT
07-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Parker not playing this Summer mixed with it being a contract year should result in a great Tony season next year. Joseph will do a solid job filling in for Patty.

ElNono
07-25-2014, 05:08 PM

Of course the National Team thinks he's alright. Is Manu too stupid to realize this? Or does he think the Spurs are the only ones who are dishonest with him?

:lol He saw a THIRD doctor (not the NT doctor or the Spurs doctor) before traveling to Buenos Aires, who is the guy that indicated to wait 30 or so days and do this study.

He obviously did that because he knows one guy is gonna pull one way and the other guy is gonna pull the other way.

Now it's up to the Spurs to determine what's going to be.

ElNono
07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Also, AFAIK, the relationship between the Arg NT doctor and the Spurs doctors is pretty cordial, despite any disagreements. Grippo has been with the NT team for many years, including the last time Gino was hurt with the NT, and the whole Fabricio and his heart condition saga. That's why I don't expect any sour grapes if the Spurs decide to shut Manu down.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Look, everyone overreacting, calm down. He cannot tell his country he doesnt want to play for them. It is a big deal if he flat out refuses, therefore, he is saying he wants to play and wants the Spurs to be the bad guys that say no so that he doesnt get any blood on his hands... Either that or Manu is a retard and will break his leg and screw us over

ElNono
07-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Look, everyone overreacting, calm down. He cannot tell his country he doesnt want to play for them. It is a big deal if he flat out refuses, therefore, he is saying he wants to play and wants the Spurs to be the bad guys that say no so that he doesnt get any blood on his hands... Either that or Manu is a retard and will break his leg and screw us over

probably the latter, tbh

will_spurs
07-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Hopefully the federation can't pay the insurance anyway and the problem is solved.

littlecoyotecoin
07-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Parker not playing this Summer mixed with it being a contract year should result in a great Tony season next year. Joseph will do a solid job filling in for Patty.

Tony's ankles, vertebrae, hamstrings, etc. don't own calendars and can't be sated with material things paychecks can purchase. They care not that it is a contract year, actually, they are inanimate objects incapable of care. Even without playing this summer, if we run him into the ground due to Patty (and probably Manu) being unable to absorb point minutes, we are very likely to get what we've gotten the last two years come playoff time: worn ass out Tony Parker. He is too good when he's healthy not to try to get him that way for the playoffs.

I was disappointed how early he came back from rest, last year, and when he did come back, he played far too many minutes with predictable results.

And, of course, there's always random injury not fatigue, age, and use related. Collisions, etc. One of those happen early in the season and it's quite a pickle.

DesignatedT
07-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Tony's ankles, vertebrae, hamstrings, etc. don't own calendars and can't be sated with material things paychecks can purchase. They care not that it is a contract year, actually, they are inanimate objects incapable of care. Even without playing this summer, if we run him into the ground due to Patty (and probably Manu) being unable to absorb point minutes, we are very likely to get what we've gotten the last two years come playoff time: worn ass out Tony Parker. He is too good when he's healthy not to try to get him that way for the playoffs.

I was disappointed how early he came back from rest, last year, and when he did come back, he played far too many minutes with predictable results.

And, of course, there's always random injury not fatigue, age, and use related. Collisions, etc. One of those happen early in the season and it's quite a pickle.

:lol

spurs10
07-25-2014, 08:51 PM
Hopefully the federation can't pay the insurance anyway and the problem is solved. My question is, will he be able to get insured if his tests are inconclusive? The Spurs are going to need him insured for millions. Who would insure someone that might be injured for that kind of money. For the record, I think if he is not injured he should go ahead and play. It's two weeks, not all summer long.

RD2191
07-25-2014, 08:58 PM
We are a rare breed
Jerking it while playing XBOX doesn't count as a sport.

marinoman
07-25-2014, 09:02 PM

swing and a miss, at least you tried

Prime Time
07-25-2014, 09:06 PM
It is if there's competition :hat

diego
07-25-2014, 09:18 PM

As nono explained he hired a 3rd doctor. Id just like to add that the 3rd doctor is a specialist superior to the team docs, evident one by pay and two by the fact that the spurs docs failed to catch this injury for over 2 months. I understand fans siding with the team staff but they are neither the white knight nor the victim of this story, not when manu was playing through pain and they were unable to diagnose this injury.

Knoxxx
07-26-2014, 12:22 PM
My question is, will he be able to get insured if his tests are inconclusive? The Spurs are going to need him insured for millions. Who would insure someone that might be injured for that kind of money. For the record, I think if he is not injured he should go ahead and play. It's two weeks, not all summer long.

I think an old guy is better off playing the two weeks to stay in shape then sitting on his booty for another couple months. If healthy of course.

MultiTroll
07-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Well Friday came and went, what did he find out?

TheyCallMePro
07-26-2014, 01:40 PM
Well Friday came and went, what did he find out?

Argentine doctor says he's fine. Manu now waiting on decision from Spurs to see if they'll let him play or invoke injury clause in his contract and prevent him from playing.

Spurs really only have 1 choice here. Gotta let him play if he wants to. This is probably Manu's last year as a Spur, and there's no way the Spurs want some bad blood to form at this point in his career.

dbreiden83080
07-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Argentine doctor says he's fine. Manu now waiting on decision from Spurs to see if they'll let him play or invoke injury clause in his contract and prevent him from playing.

Spurs really only have 1 choice here. Gotta let him play if he wants to. This is probably Manu's last year as a Spur, and there's no way the Spurs want some bad blood to form at this point in his career.

He'll get over it.. Probably thank the Spurs if they are still playing in June..

Arc
07-26-2014, 03:19 PM
selfish of manu tbh. he's won gold already. he knows patty's gone until january. if he goes down too, the team is fucked. plus he just recently had his third kid.

i understand wanting to play for your country and with some of your close friends one last time, but just hang it up dude. rest. your body needs it after three years in a row going deep into the playoffs. especially when you're injured or risk injury.

this is one reason why i don't like spurs bringing in foreigners.

baseline bum
07-26-2014, 03:27 PM
I think an old guy is better off playing the two weeks to stay in shape then sitting on his booty for another couple months. If healthy of course.

An old guy playing 5 games in 6 days while injured to open the tournament is a bad idea tbh.

xmas1997
07-26-2014, 03:30 PM
I really don't think there is much to worry about because the Argentine NT shouldn't get very far, not enough talent.

spurs10
07-26-2014, 03:41 PM
selfish of manu tbh. he's won gold already. he knows patty's gone until january. if he goes down too, the team is fucked. plus he just recently had his third kid. i understand wanting to play for your country and with some of your close friends one last time, but just hang it up dude. rest. your body needs it after three years in a row going deep into the playoffs. especially when you're injured or risk injury. this is one reason why i don't like spurs bringing in foreigners. So let's give all those trophies back! Who on our team isn't a foreigner? Ayres and Daye? Yeah Americans never play in the World Cup! "Don't like Spurs bringing in foreigners" ......Lord have mercy!

jeebus
07-26-2014, 03:43 PM
Manu begging to represent his country in FIBA play while Kawhi sits out with a sore pussy with the rest of the US fags.

SupremeGuy
07-26-2014, 04:04 PM
Manu begging to represent his country in FIBA play while Kawhi sits out with a sore pussy with the rest of the US fags.That third world loyalty :cry

Arc
07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
So let's give all those trophies back! Who on our team isn't a foreigner? Ayres and Daye? Yeah Americans never play in the World Cup! "Don't like Spurs bringing in foreigners" ......Lord have mercy!

lol calm down, salty mcsalterson. i never said i don't want foreigners on the team. i just said that's a reason i don't like them. there's also reasons i do like them.

spurs10
07-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Lol...sorry to be so Salty....I get what people mean. Basketball will wear your ass out and after that improbable and incredible win of the Olympic gold in 2004 you'd think he'd be able to get some damn rest. If he's healthy you know he's gonna play. I bet they are doing some serious testing.

TampaDude
07-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Manu could end up being fine for the WC and then blow out his knee in December in a meaningless game against some trash East team, so you never know. Shit happens. Manu's gonna do what Manu's gonna do. Just deal with it.

littlecoyotecoin
07-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Manu could end up being fine for the WC and then blow out his knee in December in a meaningless game against some trash East team, so you never know. Shit happens. Manu's gonna do what Manu's gonna do. Just deal with it.

I could get killed by an 18 wheeler, next week, so I won't bother wearing my seatbelt today.

I am a big Manu fan. I do understand the futility of us worrying about what he is going to do. As you say, he will do what he is going to do, but that doesn't obviate the concerns or beliefs that him playing is detrimental to our team - and the discussion that ensued. All joking aside, his playing might get someone like Ayers paid, but cut from the team, to bring in a guard, because Manu is making a Manu decision, and taking up a 7 million dollar roster spot with a broken leg. Ayres, Baynes, or Daye won't find much sympathy, but it will piss off management and some fans if they have to cut someone they wanted to keep because Manu wants to take poorly calculated risk because he "has earned the right to" or "deserves it". That is getting dangerously close to arrogance and "me first", even to someone like myself that DOES believe he has earned it and deserves it. The opposite of why I fell in love with the guy. Taking less money, bench role, team first, pass-crazy, wreckless to win for us, and Pop cautiously managing his minutes to get the most out of him for as long as possible. Sure, Manu took less to stay here, but if he goes somewhere else and gets rode hard and put up wet, he may make less money over the course of an injury-riddled shortened career. Not only do we owe Manu, but Manu owes The Spurs. Ayres, Baynes, or Daye would probably like to keep their spot, too, even if they are paid to leave. Or, retrospectively, The Spurs might want to renegotiate contracts if they know he makes a stubborn decision like this one. I think Manu has earned it and does deserve it, but will lose a little bit, just a tiny bit, of respect for him if he decides to have anything more than just a perfunctory role on his national team - at the expense of throwing his Spurs family under the bus. I will, however, still love the guy. I like it when our stars play for the U.S. But, I think it would be pretty irresponsible of our country to be asking Tim Duncan, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett to hobble out there to represent our country at the expense of their careers, even if they would be willing to do it, or actually want to do it, not just do it begrudgingly because they were asked. At some point, a country would be taking advantage of its citizen's loyalty and patriotism. They've done their duty by that age. Argentina sure deserves the black eye they're getting over mismanaging their team, even if the players and fans don't recognize that part of the mismanagement is running a bunch of 35-40 year olds out there for a futile effort. It's a little pathetic. Even if they want to be there, at some point, the country should stop asking guys like Ginobili BECAUSE they will say yes. Develop some young talent.

If he ends up with season or career-ending surgery to repair a broken leg, I think it's fair he suffer some "we told you so"'s. In the end, it won't matter much, but maybe he'll at least suffer a little guilt of denying The Spurs a back-to-back if it comes to that or forcing The Spurs to cut a teammate, etc. I specifically don't want to hear the excuse "accidents happen" if he gets injured in FIBA. He doesn't deserve that, nor has he earned that. That's disingenuous. You don't get to stand in traffic and say "accidents happen" when you get hit by a car. You earn and deserve an: "I told you so, idiot." He'll still be worshipped by casual fans in SA, ignored by the larger portion of the population in Argentina because they don't understand what kind of Futbol basketball is, and only die-hard SA superfans like us will hold any small resentment toward him. That will be nullified by the Argentinian basketball fans, few that they may be, that are Manu fans and not Spurs fans to whom he can do no wrong and will be gone from these boards when he retires.

tmtcsc
07-27-2014, 10:43 AM
We are a rare breed

http://media.tumblr.com/16228556b72d171986d955d351d6cad8/tumblr_inline_mma86mdJPF1qz4rgp.gif

littlecoyotecoin
07-27-2014, 11:12 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/16228556b72d171986d955d351d6cad8/tumblr_inline_mma86mdJPF1qz4rgp.gif

I missed that. It definitely deserved an eye-roll.

marinoman
07-28-2014, 09:01 PM
good call, its not like I was joking or anything