PDA

View Full Version : Fin-less yet familiar: Why Spurs will lose another

Solid D
08-21-2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA082105.01C.Buck_Harvey.2f4f997.html

Buck Harvey: Fin-less yet familiar: Why Spurs will lose another
Web Posted: 08/21/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Michael Finley can get more money from Miami or Detroit. He can team with a friend, Steve Nash, in Phoenix. He can fill a starting slot in Denver, if just to prove to the world he's still got it.

Or, he can come to San Antonio, where the only real plus for Finley is that Bruce Bowen won't elbow him anymore. At least not in games.

Welcome to the latest Spurs free-agent exercise.

It's the Jason Kidd, Karl Malone, No-Thanks Event of the summer.

Miami is the favorite to land the 32-year-old shooter next week for the usual reasons. The Heat can pay about twice what the Spurs can, and, as Jerry Maguire knows, that offer qualifies as you-had-me-at-hello. Money also was a factor two summers ago with Kidd.

Mark Cuban could add to the pot, too. He owes Finley about $50 million, albeit in an exaggerated stretch payment plan. According to reports, Finley will receive his money over about a 20-year period.

So if Cuban doesn't want Finley to help a franchise just 270 miles south? Cuban could always encourage an eastern move by restructuring the contract.

That said, the Spurs say they aren't officially out of the Finley sweepstakes. They hold out hope partly because they admire Finley and partly because of the Latrell Sprewell-like alternatives.

As for the dramatically-altered status of Derek Anderson: The Spurs have no interest in the same guy they tried to keep a few years ago with a $43 million offer.

Gregg Popovich is familiar with the prospects. He knows DA, naturally, and he coached Sprewell in Golden State. Popovich's relationship with Finley is less lengthy but still substantial; the two were together on the 2002 World Championship team.

Popovich has talked to Finley this summer, and he had something to sell besides a chance to win a ring. If Finley shoots well, as he likely would with Tim Duncan clearing floor space, he will find a place on the floor for a team in need of bench scoring.

Finley would also fit in a locker room of professionals. No one — including those in Dallas — thinks his March 2004 confrontation with Bowen would carry over.

Sure, Finley called Bowen "a coward player" after a game that season. But ask Ray Allen and Vince Carter. Wouldn't it be better to play with Bowen than against him?

In that game, for example, Finley retaliated and was ejected. Bowen stayed in, as he usually does after these incidents, and the Spurs won.

If Finley became a Spur, he would sit while Bowen started. And those who know Finley say this is a huge issue. Finley is stung and insulted at the perception that his game has dropped off, and playing 12 minutes a night in San Antonio would not cure this.

Finley might take Brent Barry's minutes as well as some of Bowen's. But there are no guarantees with Popovich. After all, Avery Johnson didn't see Finley as a perfect piece for his system, and that system is Popovich's system.

Maybe Finley is more than a spot player. After all, he had a knee cleaned up this summer, and afterward he announced he'd been hurting all last season.

That would explain his playoff drop against the Suns, at least. After scoring 31 points in Game 2, he scored only 34 points combined over the final four games. The low point came in the final game, in Dallas, when he scored just seven points in the loss.

But the knee isn't an excuse for the 2003 Western Conference Finals, when the Spurs forced him into 3-for-15 nights. The past two years of playoffs also suggest a career on the downward spiral. Over his last 18 postseason games, Finley has averaged just 13 points.

That's why, ultimately, he's probably more suited for the Spurs' limited role. But who passes on more money and more playing time?

Then there's the prospect of joining a team that has just won. Malone, for one, didn't like that dynamic when he turned down the champion Spurs to play for the Lakers in 2003. Besides, Miami, Detroit and Phoenix will have similar chances at a title this season.

Add it up — the money, the playing time, the ego — and what's his answer?

The Spurs have heard it before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Horry For 3!
08-21-2005, 01:41 AM
As for the dramatically-altered status of Derek Anderson: The Spurs have no interest in the same guy they tried to keep a few years ago with a $43 million offer.

Gregg Popovich is familiar with the prospects. He knows DA, naturally, and he coached Sprewell in Golden State. Popovich's relationship with Finley is less lengthy but still substantial; the two were together on the 2002 World Championship team.
That makes me happy. Derek Anderson is a piece of shit.

ZStomp
08-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Miami is the favorite to land the 32-year-old shooter next week for the usual reasons. The Heat can pay about twice what the Spurs can, and, as Jerry Maguire knows, that offer qualifies as you-had-me-at-hello. Money also was a factor two summers ago with Kidd.

I don't understand why money is the issue????

He's got $51 million coming from the Mavs? I would pick SA just to stick it to the Mavs...:lol

Dex
08-21-2005, 03:01 AM

He's got $51 million coming from the Mavs? I would pick SA just to stick it to the Mavs...:lol

Yeah, he's got the money coming, but...

[Dallas] owes Finley about $50 million, albeit in an exaggerated stretch payment plan. According to reports, Finley will receive his money over about a 20-year period.

He won't see the full of it until he's well past 50. Apparently, Finley may be a bit impatient when it comes to his bank account. He wants to get paid now, AND then.

Unless....

So if Cuban doesn't want Finley to help a franchise just 270 miles south? Cuban could always encourage an eastern move by restructuring the contract.

He and Cuban try to strike some sort of deal that will keep him out of the Western Conference (and off of Conference opponent benches), and then he can have his 55 million dollar cake and eat it, too.

timvp
08-21-2005, 04:38 AM
They hold out hope partly because they admire Finley and partly because of the Latrell Sprewell-like alternatives.

Just as I thought.

:smokin

Streakyshooter08
08-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Just as I thought.

:smokin

I don't think Spree considers the Spurs (even if I think he could still help them). If his agent says he is worth MORE than the MLE, so I think the Spurs are not on his list anymore. But maybe the reports are wrong...

Marcus Bryant
08-21-2005, 10:17 AM
What are Spurs fans complaining about? If someone offered you $5 mil a year would you take that or $2.5 mil?

boutons
08-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Sprewell's done, ain't the Spree of 3 years ago, mentally or physically. He's so worried about his starving family and automotive accessories business.

Marcus Bryant
08-21-2005, 10:20 AM
If Minny would take Barry for Spree I'd do that. And I suspect so would Pop.

Streakyshooter08
08-21-2005, 10:37 AM
I did not complain about anything. :)

my2sons
08-21-2005, 10:57 AM
let me see i have a chance to make 5million with a team that has a legitimate chance at a title or i can take 2.5 from a team with a legitimate chance at a title....what would i take

T Park
08-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Barry for Spree

No thanks.

Id give Barry another year to prove himself.

Let pippi longstocking suffer somewhere else.

Be gone Spreewell.

MannyIsGod
08-21-2005, 01:15 PM
No way in hell I do Barry for Spree. Pop might, but I wouldn't.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Man some of you have a utopian view of business. "I don't get why he's considering Miami, it's only twice the salary he could make here."

Really, how many of you would turn away a job offer with a 100% payraise? I sure as hell wouldn't, and you can't blame Finley for doing it either.

Marcus Bryant
08-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Pop would do it because it makes sense, especially for the same price. Barry gets far too much love for what he's done and is capable of doing.

T Park
08-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Barrys only had 1 season.

Hell Stephen Jackson got two.

Go ahead and give Barry another year, rather have Barry than the washed up Spreewell.

bigzak25
08-21-2005, 03:13 PM

dude, it's always the issue. you know that. with ballas or former ballas especially, as is the case with finley.

what is mike fin worth? whatever a team is willing to pay him.

rather have Barry than the washed up Spreewell.

it really pisses me off when i agree with TPark. :pctoss

good call though. :tu

adrienne
08-21-2005, 03:14 PM
I would pick SA just to stick it to the Mavs...

What for though? He and the Mavs ended on good terms, he's getting his contract payed by them still, everyone in the organization had only good things to say about him and vice versa. It was purely a money move, he's a professional and he knows that. You don't "stick it to" a team that has been your home and family for 8 years when you part peacefully.

Mr. Body
08-21-2005, 03:26 PM
If Minny would take Barry for Spree I'd do that. And I suspect so would Pop.

You're utterly insane.

Barry is much more valuable at this point than Spreewell is. Besides, Spree would come free.

T Park
08-21-2005, 03:33 PM
it really pisses me off when i agree with TPark

If something like that bothers you....

You need to get some priorities straight if thats the case.

Marcus Bryant
08-21-2005, 04:37 PM
You're utterly insane.

And you're an idiot. Nanny nanny poo poo.

Barry is much more valuable at this point than Spreewell is.

For what? Another postseason meltdown?

Besides, Spree would come free.

When DET is offering twice? Get a clue.

Mr. Body
08-21-2005, 06:46 PM
When DET is offering twice? Get a clue.

Would come without a trade, you dip.

Marcus Bryant
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
The only way he would "come free" is if he signs for what the Spurs have left in cap room, which is roughly half of what DET has to offer.

Try again, "dip".

exstatic
08-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Man some of you have a utopian view of business. "I don't get why he's considering Miami, it's only twice the salary he could make here."

Really, how many of you would turn away a job offer with a 100% payraise? I sure as hell wouldn't, and you can't blame Finley for doing it either.

Actually, since a chunk of the "new" salary goes back to the old team to offset the salary that they must continue to pay him, the difference isn't 100%. However, the agent will get his full commission on the new deal. Any clue as to who is driving this process? :lol

I really think that Finley will get fewer shots in Miami, even if he starts, that he would in SA. He's behind Shaq, Wade, and the two ball and shot hogs in the pecking order.

If I were one of the amnesty casualties, and had a fat payday already in the bank, I'd probably opt for a one year deal to see if the team is a "fit".

I don't really care if Fin comes here or not. He's not the missing piece, or anything. If he comes fine. If he doesn't, that's also fine. Miami's a nice place.

Kori Ellis
08-21-2005, 09:11 PM
I think Finley will likely end up in Miami, but it's weird to me that he has reportedly been in Phoenix hanging out with Suns' brass since Thursday night. I know he was going to that wedding, but there's obviously a lot of shmoozing going on as well.

hussker
08-21-2005, 09:21 PM
My take, for what it is worth (not much since I am neither GM nor Coach), Keep us as is...get Devin back for next season and press on. No chemistry issues, no other BS to put up with. We need no egos on this roster. The last time we did that, look what happenned...RODMAN in 94-95. Do you remember that fiasco?

GSG
TRIX in 06!

bigzak25
08-22-2005, 12:06 AM
If something like that bothers you....

You need to get some priorities straight if thats the case.

thanks for setting me straight brother, you're right. ever thought of being a preacher. you really know how to show people the light. must be from your experience in the brownie mines of old st louis.

may Godbless Tpark and all his wisdom, please anyone who reads this, just drop to your knees right now and praise him like your name is osama and he's allah with 70something fuckin virgins...

don't play with me bitch, i'll give you jumprope and make you quit like mike jax at a kid fucking anonymous meeting. but thumbs up, for the take. like i said, i agreed with yo ass. take a compliment when you can get it, it will be far and few between. recognize playa. :smokin

DesiSpur_21
08-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Mark Cuban could add to the pot, too. He owes Finley about $50 million, albeit in an exaggerated stretch payment plan. According to reports, Finley will receive his money over about a 20-year period.

Is it between the team and the player to workout how the rest of the contract will be paid out? I was thinking they'll be paid just like if they were on the team for the length of the contract. Finley would've got 50+ mil in next 3 yrs imo.

Am I missing something?

Mark in Austin
08-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Somebody should show this article to Ludden as proof that you can indeed write a summer basketball article on the Spurs without mentioning Manu's rockstar-like status in Argentina.

Kip Fanatic
08-22-2005, 10:42 AM
If I were Finley I would go to Miami too. You get to play with Wade and Shaq. You'll live in South Beach. You have a chance at winning the NBA Championship. Oh yeah. You get more money too. Nothing against San Antonio, but Miami offers more. I haven't seen the national TV schedule, but I'm sure Miami will play more on national TV than the Spurs will. To some players, that matters more. The wise chocie as far as your career goes would be to play in SA because they have what it takes to get back to the Finals. The other choice as far as materialistic goes would be to play for Miami, get more money, live in awesome city, and still have the chance to play for a title.

GrandeDavid
08-22-2005, 11:32 AM

Exactly. I mean, its not as if Miami is not a fun-filled city for NBA millionaires to roam at night. Plus, let`s be honest about Miami`s chances in 2006- they are a legitimate championship contender without Finley, so adding him, theoretically, should only bolster their chances. And he makes twice the jack there. I think its a no brainer for Finley to go to Miami. Plus you`ve got the allure of playing with Shaq.

Yeah, I think Finley will be a Heat.

Kori Ellis
08-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Heavy sales pitch planned for Finley

BY BARRY JACKSON
[email protected]

The Heat will make a full-court press to sign free agent swingman Michael Finley during an expected visit to South Florida early this week.

Eager to impress him, the Heat has placed 20 posters of Finley wearing a Heat uniform on light poles on streets next to AmericanAirlines Arena. One associate said Sunday he expected Finley to visit with Heat officials today.

The Heat is believed to be offering Finley the full $5 million mid-level exception. Finley, who averaged 15.7 points for Dallas last season, has strong interest in the Heat, sources said, but associates said he also in recent days has been considering San Antonio, Detroit and Phoenix.

The Pistons and Heat could each offer $5 million. The Spurs could offer slightly more than $2.5 million, but the Suns could offer only the $1.1 million veteran's minimum. Finley is believed to have already spoken with Heat president Pat Riley.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/12444520.htm

Streakyshooter08
08-22-2005, 06:11 PM
No quick decision expected from FinleyBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Face-to-face negotiations are under way in the Michael Finley sweepstakes, but no signing commitment is expected from the in-demand former All-Star before next week at the earliest.

Sources close to the process have told ESPN.com that Finley and agent Henry Thomas have invited the leading suitors to Chicago for sitdowns in Finley's hometown as opposed to launching into a series of recruiting trips.

The Miami Heat's Pat Riley was the first to visit Finley on Monday, with delegations from the Phoenix Suns (Tuesday), San Antonio Spurs (Thursday) and Detroit Pistons (TBD) also scheduled for visits this week.

There is likewise a chance that the Minnesota Timberwolves will be the fifth team to get an up-close chance to woo Finley, with the most prominent casualty of the NBA's new amnesty clause apparently intent on a deliberate evaluation of his options. The 10-year veteran was waived by the Dallas Mavericks late last Monday and became an unrestricted free agent after clearing waivers Thursday.

Riley, Minnesota star Kevin Garnett, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and ex-Dallas teammate Steve Nash are among the luminaries who have personally reached out to Finley by phone since he was released.

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni, meanwhile, enjoyed an unexpected head start in the lobbying process late last week when he and Finley were guests at the Phoenix wedding of Mavericks athletic trainer Casey Smith, a former Suns employee.

Various league executives have maintained for weeks that Miami is the heavy favorite to land Finley, with the Heat able to offer a full mid-level exception of $5 million next season and the lure of playing alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, who's also represented by Thomas. Finley, furthermore, is quite familiar with Heat coach Stan Van Gundy, having played for him at Wisconsin.

Yet, sources insist that Finley has not yet established a favorite. Intensely private throughout his eight-plus seasons in Dallas, Finley has been typically tight-lipped about his future, telling reporters at Nash's July 29 charity game that he wasn't ready to discuss the prospect of free agency and declining interview requests since being waived by the Mavericks.

Thomas, though, did confirm last week that Finley is "most interested" in joining a team with championship potential.

Of the four teams that best fit that description, Miami and Detroit can both offer a starting salary of $5 million. The Pistons, however, are poised to cut into their mid-level exception to sign power forward Dale Davis this week -- and potentially take themselves out of the running -- if they sense that Finley's interest is waning.

San Antonio and Phoenix are the other two teams, but going to either of the Mavericks' Western Conference rivals will require Finley to make a financial sacrifice. The Spurs are limited to offering a starting salary of just over $2.5 million, and Phoenix can't pitch anything more than the veteran minimum of $1.1 million for the 2005-06 campaign.

Thomas, though, did confirm last week that Finley is "most interested" in joining a team with championship potential. Of the four teams that best fit that description, Miami and Detroit can both offer a starting salary of $5 million. Going to either of the Mavericks' Western Conference rivals in that category will require Finley to make a financial sacrifice, since San Antonio is limited to offering a starting salary of just over $2.5 million, and Phoenix can't offer more than the veteran minimum of $1.1 million for the 2005-06 campaign.

The Mavericks tried for weeks to trade Finley to an Eastern Conference team before waiving him in hopes of keeping the swingman away from the Spurs or Suns. Reports persist that Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was prepared to offer Finley a restructured payment schedule on the nearly $52 million left on Finley's contract to help persuade him to go East, but NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that no such deal was struck.

The presence of San Antonio and Phoenix on Finley's list of finalists indeed suggests no such arrangement exists. A "spread provision" in Finley's Dallas contract stipulates that, upon being waived, his remaining salary will be paid in annual installments of less than $5 million.

SenorSpur
08-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Heavy sales pitch planned for Finley

BY BARRY JACKSON
[email protected]

The Heat will make a full-court press to sign free agent swingman Michael Finley during an expected visit to South Florida early this week.

Eager to impress him, the Heat has placed 20 posters of Finley wearing a Heat uniform on light poles on streets next to AmericanAirlines Arena. One associate said Sunday he expected Finley to visit with Heat officials today.

The Heat is believed to be offering Finley the full $5 million mid-level exception. Finley, who averaged 15.7 points for Dallas last season, has strong interest in the Heat, sources said, but associates said he also in recent days has been considering San Antonio, Detroit and Phoenix.

The Pistons and Heat could each offer $5 million. The Spurs could offer slightly more than $2.5 million, but the Suns could offer only the $1.1 million veteran's minimum. Finley is believed to have already spoken with Heat president Pat Riley.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/12444520.htm

Let him go. I hope he'll be very happy at Dallas Mavericks East. He still doesn't shoot consistently enough from the perimeter and is too one-dimensional to fit in here. However, he should be a nice addition to their team where he can hide behind Shaq, Wade, Toine and JWill and won't be asked to do much else but launch jumpers.

On a side note, Miami will have no more success trying to buy themselves a championship by "hoarding" all the free-agent talent than Dallas did.

It's one thing the win the off-season free agent sweepstakes, but before everyone awards them the O'Brien trophy, let's see how all these pieces take shape on the floor. Let's see if chemistry is developed gradually or whether they start bickering over minutes and shots before the All-Star break.