PDA

View Full Version : Mavs: Mavs Close to Signing Jameer Nelson

m>s
07-24-2014, 03:43 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24635701/report-mavericks-meeting-with-jameer-nelson-expected-to-sign-him

Report: Mavericks meeting with Jameer Nelson, expected to sign himBy Zach Harper | NBA writer

July 24, 2014 11:27 am ET

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/072414_Jameer.jpgJameer Nelson joining the Mavericks creates some competition at the point. (USATSI)More Offseason Analysis: Coaching changes, news (http://www.cbssports.com/topic/1944800/coaching-changes) | Free Agency (http://www.cbssports.com/topic/2075425/2014-nba-free-agency) | Draft (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft)
The Dallas Mavericks (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/DAL/dallas-mavericks) are putting the finishing touches on a pretty successful offseason. With Dirk Nowitzki (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/20622/dirk-nowitzki) re-signing for a bargain rate, the team also traded for center Tyson Chandler (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/240273/tyson-chandler) and point guard Raymond Felton (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/555943/raymond-felton), signed Chandler Parsons (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1332461/chandler-parsons) away from the Houston Rockets, and signed Al-Farouq Aminu (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/1755172/al-farouq-aminu) to a bargain deal to add to their depth on the wing. Dallas hasn't been able to bring in a superstar to pair with Nowitzki but they've reloaded a very nice cast of role players around him once again. They might not be done, either.
Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News is reporting (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20140723-mavericks-expect-to-add-pg-jameer-nelson-club-agrees-to-deal-with-al-farouq-aminu.ece) the team will meet with point guardJameer Nelson (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/498301/jameer-nelson) on Thursday and as long as his physical checks out, the team is expected to sign him for the room exception. That would bring $2.7 million to Nelson this season and he'd be expected to compete with Felton and the re-signed Devin Harris (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/players/playerpage/498285/devin-harris) for point guard minutes.

Meanwhile, two sources said the Mavericks were preparing to welcome 6-foot Jameer Nelson to town on Thursday. He is expected to take a physical and if everything is in order, will sign with the Mavericks for their cap-room exception of $2.7 million.
He would likely split time at the point guard with Raymond Felton. Devin Harris also can play the position but spent a lot of time at shooting guard last season. The Mavericks would keep all three, which would play to the strength of coach Rick Carlisle's philosophy that quality depth at all positions is crucial.

The 10-year veteran was waived from the Magic in a cap saving move. The Magic owe Nelson $2 million this season, making the discount he's giving the Mavericks not such a bad deal for him. Nelson has started nearly every game at point for the Magic the past eight seasons and played in 68 games for Orlando last season. He averaged 12.1 points and 7.0 assists in 32.0 minutes. His shooting over the last two seasons has struggled mightily though, finishing both campaigns under 40 percent from the field (39.2 and 39.4 percent, respectively).

m>s
07-24-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm liking what the mavs are doing thus far with all the depth and this move shores up by far our weakest position PG

RsxPiimp
07-24-2014, 03:49 PM
Fattie is just taking up space, dude needs to go

mavsfan1000
07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
We are stacked. Loaded roster.

m>s
yeah i wish they could somehow salary dump him..if not just cut the dude he could be cancerous

lefty
We staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked

m>s
07-24-2014, 03:57 PM
so our starting lineup next year will be:

PG - Jameer Nelson
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Tyson Chandler

With Devin Harris, Brandan Wright, and a bunch of solid 7-10's off the bench. Wish they could somehow still land Mo Williams though.

2011 all over again???

mavsfan1000
07-24-2014, 03:58 PM

PG - Jameer Nelson
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Tyson Chandler

With Devin Harris, Brandan Wright, and a bunch of solid 7-10's off the bench. Wish they could somehow still land Mo Williams though.

2011 all over again???
Can't wait.

Blizzardwizard
07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
No Vince Carter = No BS bailout threes so it's all good.

07-24-2014, 04:00 PM
Wonder how Tyson will hold up

m>s
07-24-2014, 04:05 PM
No Vince Carter = No BS bailout threes so it's all good.

yeah that one hurt, we need another 3 point threat (at the 2, SF is already stacked) to replace that loss.

spurraider21
07-24-2014, 04:10 PM
I'm liking what the mavs are doing thus far with all the depth and this move shores up by far our weakest position PG
i agree. its been a pretty productive offseason. the dropoff from Calderon to Nelson won't be so dramatic compared to the upgrade from Dalembert to Chandler. what remains to be seen is if the addition of Chandler will be a net upgrade from Marion and Vince

m>s
07-24-2014, 04:14 PM
i agree. its been a pretty productive offseason. the dropoff from Calderon to Nelson won't be so dramatic compared to the upgrade from Dalembert to Chandler. what remains to be seen is if the addition of Chandler will be a net upgrade from Marion and Vince
i think he will, i'm always in favor of getting new legs over old ones any day. you also have to remember that you can't necessarily even compare last years vince and marion to this years at their ages, their production will continue to drop off from here out.

ElNono
07-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Great pickup... plus now they can salary dump Felton for a few picks.

m>s
07-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Great pickup... plus now they can salary dump Felton for a few picks.
and sign mo willams :hat

ElNono
07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
and sign mo willams :hat

You don't want Mo. He's a perennial playoff choker. Go check his numbers. Consistently drop in the playoffs.

ElNono
07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Harris can already do everything Mo does, he's younger and already on the team. I think the Mavs are fine with the Jameer addition. What you want to make sure is that Felton doesn't start pouting and turning into a bitch.

m>s
07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
You don't want Mo. He's a perennial playoff choker. Go check his numbers. Consistently drop in the playoffs.
just need him for spacing imho

baseline bum
07-24-2014, 04:30 PM

PG - Jameer Nelson
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Tyson Chandler

2011 all over again???

Mo Williams is the dumbest point guard since Steve Francis. At least with Felton there is some hope of being a contributor if the team can make him lose weight.

m>s
07-24-2014, 04:31 PM
fills a particular need, i'm aware of the drawbacks

baseline bum
07-24-2014, 04:32 PM

I wouldn't want that retard on a minimum deal. Hopefully Oklahoma picks him up.

baseline bum
07-24-2014, 04:32 PM
fills a particular need, i'm aware of the drawbacks

What need? Shitty point guards? Seems like you're set there with Felton and Harris.

Robz4000
07-24-2014, 04:35 PM
If TC returns to form, the Mavs are the #3 team out West (tho if they matched up with Meth I'd give them the nod). Otherwise they're only marginally better than last year.

ElNono
07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
just need him for spacing imho

Jameer shoots at about the same percentage, tbh... neither are great from downtown...

FkLA
07-24-2014, 04:45 PM
:lmao '2011 all over again'

m>s
07-24-2014, 04:49 PM
What need? Shitty point guards? Seems like you're set there with Felton and Harris.
i'd play him as the backup 2 in certain lineups

~O~
07-24-2014, 04:52 PM
I'm satisfied. As long as it wasn't the Miami Heat. The Mavericks are respectable.

Findog
07-24-2014, 04:54 PM
fap fap fap...time to spray the walls!

FkLA
07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Ive never seen people gush over an 8th seed with an old, knee-less star this much. :lol

Daniel Sedin
07-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Felton will start

m>s
07-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Felton will start
over nelson? you're sick

Henrik Sedin
07-24-2014, 05:30 PM
over nelson? you're sick

Different stages of career, upside if Felton plays like he always have before last year. Nelson is nice, but I agree in the sense that Rick will start Raymond.

Malik Hairston
07-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Different stages of career, upside if Felton plays like he always have before last year. Nelson is nice, but I agree in the sense that Rick will start Raymond.

Current Felton is one of the worst PGs in recent history, tbh..

Nelson sucks, too, but he's better than an obese PG..

Malik Hairston
07-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Mavs made some decent moves, but they aren't anywhere close to contending, people put way too much stock into their fluky 1st round series last year:lol..

jimbo
07-24-2014, 10:45 PM

Dude played Mike James over Darren Collison, I don't know if he cares too much about upside.

m>s
07-24-2014, 10:47 PM
never at any point in his career has felton been a better player than nelson..his efficiency and shooting is total shit, his defense is shit. nelson is at least a proven playoff performer..he's always stepped his game up on the big stage, whereas felton has never won shit.

Indazone
07-24-2014, 10:51 PM
Nelson is a veteran guard. He'll be playing over fatass no talent Felton

jimbo
07-24-2014, 10:53 PM
never at any point in his career has felton been a better player than nelson..his efficiency and shooting is total shit, his defense is shit. nelson is at least a proven playoff performer..he's always stepped his game up on the big stage, whereas felton has never won shit.

tbh you could make the argument Felton was better during that MVP Amare stretch pre allstar break in 2010. Granted he was the PG in the D'Antoni system and the Knicks were barely over .500, but still :lol

Findog
07-24-2014, 10:55 PM
Felton had a stretch in his first stint with New York where he looked pretty good but he's been shit ever since. If he ever goes back to Portland the hipsters will ironically lynch him for his poor performance with the Blazers.

I do think that Carlisle and the Mavs can probably get more out of him than the complete zero that he was for the Knicks last season, but I don't want to count on him at all. If we get anything at all from him this year I'll consider it gravy. Between Nelson, Devin and Faton, I think we can get decent production out of the PG position.

~O~
07-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Boy, do I dislike unreliable players. Jameer isn't a any bad acquisition at all. I'm looking forward to finally seeing him in new colors and jersey. He's been a Magician his whole career. Most magic fans appreciated his era with the Orlando Magic. He's the last one to depart after the Magic made that finals run. Its a whole new team now with a whole new direction. \

Jameer will space the floor...no doubt. He's undersized at his position but its not something he let stop him. I'd say that he's a 2 steps slower than he use to be. When driving to the paint in his all star year, he was the shit. He shot over 50% in 42 games.

Till..................Brendan Haywood got him injured..who coincidentally played for the Mavericks at that time.

siraulo23
07-24-2014, 11:03 PM

PG - Jameer Nelson
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Tyson Chandler

2011 all over again???

it all depends on which dirk shows up which im confident dirk has one last run in him, last year's dirk wont cut it he has to demand double teams etc...

But the mavs roster is looking good...

Franklin
07-24-2014, 11:47 PM
I think Devin will play significant minutes at SG as Monta's backup. A backcourt rotation of Devin/Monta/Nelson wouldn't look too bad imho. It's true that we haven't made no blockbuster trade or signing this summer, but instead we just picked the right players who can benefit us the most.

spurraider21
07-25-2014, 12:09 AM
people put way too much stock into their fluky 1st round series last year:lol..
that's probably true. the loss of Marion will benefit the Spurs quite a bit. he was more of an issue than Parsons will be

Sean Cagney
07-25-2014, 12:17 AM
If TC returns to form, the Mavs are the #3 team out West (tho if they matched up with Meth I'd give them the nod). Otherwise they're only marginally better than last year.
TC will need to return to form though. I got the Spurs, OKC and Clippers above them and Portland is up there as well. Mavs are around #4 or 5 IMO, agreed if he doesn't return to form they are only marginally better than last year. They have done good this offseason though no doubt! The Mavs look to be a very good team on paper right now heading into next year, they will be a tough out.

AaronY
07-25-2014, 12:18 AM
They need a perimeter wing defender bad

Sean Cagney
07-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Boy, do I dislike unreliable players. Jameer isn't a any bad acquisition at all. I'm looking forward to finally seeing him in new colors and jersey. He's been a Magician his whole career. Most magic fans appreciated his era with the Orlando Magic. He's the last one to depart after the Magic made that finals run. Its a whole new team now with a whole new direction. \

Jameer will space the floor...no doubt. He's undersized at his position but its not something he let stop him. I'd say that he's a 2 steps slower than he use to be. When driving to the paint in his all star year, he was the shit. He shot over 50% in 42 games.

Till..................Brendan Haywood got him injured..who coincidentally played for the Mavericks at that time.
They made that finals run while he was hurt basically though and when he returned he messed up the chemistry some, remember Alston was the PG and playing well during that run and Jameer was hurt until the finals and came back during them. Rafer played great. I agree though he was with them for a while and the fans liked him there but they made that run without him.

Chris
07-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Mavs defense is gonna be bad :lol

-21-
07-25-2014, 02:16 AM
Yeah, right now their backcourt is very undersized. Nelson/Felton/Harris/Ellis

AaronY
07-25-2014, 04:38 AM
Yeah, right now their backcourt is very undersized. Nelson/Felton/Harris/Ellis

Yeah, also my impression of Parsons is that he's mediocre on D (?) so the downgrade from Marion to him will be noticeable. Also read some articles on Grantland about how Carter was a plus defender since joining the Mavs so he'll be missed a little too. Maybe that Crowder guy can step up on that end if he's any good cuz I don't see who else they could sign at this point

Franklin
07-25-2014, 05:50 AM
RC has a habit of starting a shitty player (like Antonie Wright) while playing the better player (JET) off the bench. RC is a genius, almost Pop-caliber, so no one could predict what his selection for next game would be, imho.

Jodelo
07-25-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah, also my impression of Parsons is that he's mediocre on D (?) so the downgrade from Marion to him will be noticeable. Also read some articles on Grantland about how Carter was a plus defender since joining the Mavs so he'll be missed a little too. Maybe that Crowder guy can step up on that end if he's any good cuz I don't see who else they could sign at this point

Carter was pretty good on defense and Marion lost his D the last 1-2 years. Crowder is now the best perimeter defender and doing a good job. Still has to learn though...

Mnky
07-25-2014, 09:30 AM

PG - Jameer Nelson
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Chandler Parsons
PF - Dirk Nowitzki
C - Tyson Chandler

2011 all over again???

They're looking pretty good to me. I thought they were way better than their seed last year. Just never got it together during the season. If they can manage the minutes and keep their older guys fresh, the Mavs can make some noise next year.

mavsfan1000
07-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Seriously, Cuban never prioritizes defense. He always looks for the scorers. This team is almost as bad defensively as the 03-04 Mavs. Tyson Chandler can't do everything.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Wrong. Felton was an NCAA champ and used to be a very good 3 point shooter and distributor. Nelson had a bigger role and was better in his peak than Felton has ever been.. but Felton is younger and has more upside.. Nelson shot 34% from 3 last year.. his worst % by over 3%

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Seriously, Cuban never prioritizes defense. He always looks for the scorers. This team is almost as bad defensively as the 03-04 Mavs. Tyson Chandler can't do everything.

Aminu

mavsfan1000
07-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Aminu
Is he starting at the 2? It looks like their bench will have to bail them out. I like their frontcourt. But having no true shooting guard or a quality point guard will hurt.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Is he starting at the 2? It looks like their bench will have to bail them out. I like their frontcourt. But having no true shooting guard or a quality point guard will hurt.

They have improved defensively, albeit slightly, but still improved.

Jodelo
07-25-2014, 11:02 AM
bullsfan1000 talking about the Mavs! :lmao

mavsfan1000
07-25-2014, 11:05 AM
bullsfan1000 talking about the Mavs! :lmao
I was a Jordan fan. Not a Bulls fan. Who wasn't a Jordan fan back then? He was legen.. wait for it ...dary.

mavsfan1000
07-25-2014, 11:08 AM
PG Nelson or Felton - Below average defensively
SG Ellis - Below average defensively
SF Parsons - Below average defensively
PF Nowitzki - Below average defensively.
C Chandler - Above average defensively

See why I am concerned?

m>s
07-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Wrong. Felton was an NCAA champ and used to be a very good 3 point shooter and distributor. Nelson had a bigger role and was better in his peak than Felton has ever been.. but Felton is younger and has more upside.. Nelson shot 34% from 3 last year.. his worst % by over 3%

orlando's offense was terrible, he will get better looks with dallas

moisaenz
07-25-2014, 12:12 PM
orlando's offense was terrible, he will get better looks with dallas

but wasn't he the point guard? he was the main guy that was suppose to make the offense better.

spurraider21
07-25-2014, 12:13 PM
meh, there's no "upside" in a 30 year old point guard. and nelson's 3pt% dipped after Howard left. playing on dallas with dirk i think it would go back up closer to his career averages

m>s
07-25-2014, 12:14 PM
but wasn't he the point guard? he was the main guy that was suppose to make the offense better.
PG has to have someone to distribute the ball to?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
07-25-2014, 12:56 PM
meh, there's no "upside" in a 30 year old point guard. and nelson's 3pt% dipped after Howard left. playing on dallas with dirk i think it would go back up closer to his career averages

Nelson is old. It went off 3% four years after he left.... 3% from last year.

m>s
07-25-2014, 01:08 PM
hes like 2 years older than felton and the same age as tony parker

Kyle Orton
07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Nelson will bounce back. A lot easier to get nice looks with players like parsons dirk and ELLIS instead of scrubs

spurraider21
07-25-2014, 01:52 PM
Nelson is old. It went off 3% four years after he left.... 3% from last year.
after who left? Dwight? Howard's last year on Orlando was the 11-12 season, certainly not 4 years ago :lol. on howard's last year on the Magic, Nelson shot 37.7% from 3. The year Dwight joined the Lakers (12-13) Nelson's 3pt% dropped to 34.1% and it was 34.8% last year. He was over 38% from three overall in seasons alongside Howard.

Buddy Mignon
07-25-2014, 01:58 PM
We left that lil nigga dead in the summer heat.

DPbFWrXrOzM

Buddy Mignon
07-25-2014, 02:00 PM
M4HLULwjp-Y

spurraider21
07-25-2014, 02:08 PM
We left that lil nigga dead in the summer heat.

DPbFWrXrOzM
alpha male

DAF86
07-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Cuban with his usual "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" tactic. They improved from last season but you can't expect a team with Monta Ellis as a focal point of the offense and a roster full of undersized guards and below average individual defenders to really contend. They will be a bitch to whichever 1 to 4 seed they face in the first round though, specially if it is the Thunder.

m>s
07-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Cuban with his usual "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" tactic. They improved from last season but you can't expect a team with Monta Ellis as a focal point of the offense and a roster full of undersized guards and below average individual defenders to really contend. They will be a bitch to whichever 1 to 4 seed they face in the first round though, specially if it is the Thunder.
aminu and tyson gonna lock niggas down :hat