PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi Leonard has done enough to ensure that his jersey is retired in SA!

apalisoc_9
07-26-2014, 03:40 PM
2x western conference Champs
2x NBA finalist
NBA champion
NBA finals MVP
NBA All defensive team
3 straight Western conference trip...

So long he finishes next year as a spur, I don't think it matters anymore..At this point, kawhi is already a top 10 spur of all time.

testies
07-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Avery Johnson has set a very low standard for that

-21-
07-26-2014, 03:45 PM
Your schtick is annoying tbqh.

Plum Island
07-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Truest post on this board ever posted.

I HATED Avery Johnson getting his number retired and I was a fan his first stint on the team when he was nothing but an unproven waterbug on the court.
Yeah I watched his hitting that baseline shot against the Knicks to seal their first title, but he in no way deserved to have his number retired.

spurs1990
07-26-2014, 04:07 PM
Where's that poster who was clamoring for new accounts to be approved.

See this is why we can't have nice accounts.

spurraider21
07-26-2014, 04:16 PM
They just need to give the pink treatment more frequently

Aztecfan03
07-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Your schtick is annoying tbqh.

Agreed. Kawhi is the reason I became a Spurs fan but this shit is fricken ridiculous.

Aztecfan03
07-26-2014, 04:47 PM

they really do.

Juggity
07-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Actually, I agree with OP on this one.

Unless Kawhi burns his bridges with SA somewhere down the line or does something really bad, he HAS done enough to get his jersey retired here, which is pretty remarkable considering he's only 3 years into his career. In a small market, winning finals MVP gets your jersey in the rafters.

In retrospect, retiring Avery's jersey was very questionable. I understand it from a loyalty perspective, but he's certainly not one of the greatest players in franchise history. He was serviceable; at times clutch. But not great.

I would even question retiring Sean's jersey a little bit, although given that he's spent his post playing career with the spurs doing the TV commentary I'm definitely more willing to say he's done enough for the franchise to have his number up there.

On the other hand, I like the gesture of retiring Bruce's jersey. Rarely do defensive players get recognized for their contributions. Without Bowen, there was no 2005 title. Maybe no 2007 title either. I can't say the same about Avery Johnson — any number of serviceable players could have done well in his position in 1999.

Diego20
07-26-2014, 05:18 PM
No if he goes to another team in the next years..

xtremesteven33
07-26-2014, 05:21 PM
The Spurs are the modern day Celtics of old. Alot of numbers will be retired. Get over it.

JR3
07-26-2014, 05:29 PM
Don't agree... I'm in the camp that says Avery shouldn't have had his jersey retired either.

tdunk21
07-26-2014, 05:36 PM

jkid12456
07-26-2014, 05:51 PM
...smh

CaptainLate
07-26-2014, 06:17 PM

I HATED Avery Johnson getting his number retired and I was a fan his first stint on the team when he was nothing but an unproven waterbug on the court.
Yeah I watched his hitting that baseline shot against the Knicks to seal their first title, but he in no way deserved to have his number retired.

I didn't mind AJ...however, he wasn't even a career Spur and certainly won't be HoF worthy. Not sure Johnny Moore should be up there, either. Both are sentimental choices. Perhaps "honorable mention"?

Let's face it, very few deserve it. Spurs players who deserve to have their jersey retired in my book, and I'm old enough a fan to remember when the franchise was the Dallas Chaparrals, are the fol: Ice, Captain Late and the Admiral. Out of the current crop of Spurs: Duncan, Manu and TP.

LakerHater
07-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Don't agree... I'm in the camp that says Avery shouldn't have had his jersey retired either.

100%duncan
07-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Actually, yes.

TXstbobcat
07-26-2014, 09:53 PM
The way his career has started I have to agree with this.

KL2
07-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Not only did he do all that, he extended Pop's career a couple of years, TD probably would've retired as well, retire this mans jersey.

apalisoc_9
07-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Not only did he do all that, he extended Pop's career a couple of years, TD probably would've retired as well, retire this mans jersey.

:tu

Sean Cagney
07-26-2014, 10:55 PM

SMH but true indeed.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Serious question, what are teams gonna start doing in 150 years when they have too many retired numbers? Are they gonna take down the stupid ones (Johnson, Ellio t, Bowen) And only leave up the true greats?

Juggity
07-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Serious question, what are teams gonna start doing in 150 years when they have too many retired numbers? Are they gonna take down the stupid ones (Johnson, Ellio t, Bowen) And only leave up the true greats?

If a team ever runs out of 1 or 2 digit numbers (which seems unlikely given that the standard for jersey retirement would be raised significantly with each retired jersey after a certain point), I could see teams allowing players to add a letter into the mix like "1A" or "4F" or whatever.

Obstructed_View
07-26-2014, 11:49 PM

Without Bowen, your username would be Spurs 1 the win.

Venti Quattro
07-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Considering the Spurs retired Bruce Bowen's jersey, Kawhi Leonard is a lock to have his jersey retired

100%duncan
07-27-2014, 12:21 AM
IDK why anyone is against Brucie's retirement :lol

We'd be light 3 with out him.

Mikeanaro
07-27-2014, 12:57 AM
He is the future of course his jersey will be retired, but as some other posters said there will be too many jerseys hanging up there, it seems Spurs retired some jerseys as a ¨friendly compliment¨ and now they have 7 jerseys, add to that the big 3 and you have 10.
They should add Patty´s jersey and call it quits, or unretire some useless names (Silas, Moore, Johnson).

Spurs 4 The Win
07-27-2014, 01:37 AM
If a team ever runs out of 1 or 2 digit numbers (which seems unlikely given that the standard for jersey retirement would be raised significantly with each retired jersey after a certain point), I could see teams allowing players to add a letter into the mix like "1A" or "4F" or whatever.

I was more addressing the banners, they would run out of room, I am a proponent of only the truly great players getting retired, like Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Pop (is that allowed?), Tony, and Manu (maybe Silas) but nobody else

Dizzle
07-27-2014, 02:06 AM
kawhi, danny, splitter, patty ... all locks for retire jersey if they stay the rest of their career in SA (must have atleast 7 yrs with SA)

Spurs 4 The Win
07-27-2014, 02:17 AM
kawhi, danny, splitter, patty ... all locks for retire jersey if they stay the rest of their career in SA (must have atleast 7 yrs with SA)

The standards should be raised for retirement, Leonard should be the only player in the discussion and he is a long ways away. However, based off of the Avery standard, you are probably right

Juggity
07-27-2014, 04:47 AM
I was more addressing the banners, they would run out of room, I am a proponent of only the truly great players getting retired, like Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Pop (is that allowed?), Tony, and Manu (maybe Silas) but nobody else

I agree with you on retiring only the greatest players.

I imagine they would deal with the rafters situation similar to the way Boston has done:

http://redsarmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/banners1.png

Chinook
07-27-2014, 05:09 AM
Maybe Green is changing his jersey number to 14 so they can retire his number 4 next season? :wow

TheCerebral1
07-27-2014, 06:50 AM
I had no clue Johnson's jersey was retired. That's grasping for straws. He might be a better coach than he was as a player. He was about as good if not slightly better than Speedy Claxton. Shrugs. Nothing special at all.

TampaDude
07-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Imagine how good Kawhi is going to be with 4 or 5 seasons under his belt. The future is bright, indeed! :hat

Old School 44
07-27-2014, 10:15 AM
Ayres should have his jersey retired immediately...with him in it.

Kool Bob Love
07-27-2014, 10:28 AM
http://youtu.be/E7HSnExrMac

Agloco
07-27-2014, 11:31 AM
Four more years at this level of play, along with a few all defensive teams will do it. If he were to win Finals MVP again next year that would also do it.

Spur|n|Austin
07-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Maybe Green is changing his jersey number to 14 so they can retire his number 4 next season? :wow

:lol nahh, it's because they are retiring Finley's!

cjw
07-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Pop (is that allowed?)

Knicks have Red Holzman's number of wins (613) in the rafters at MSG. Surprised they don't include playoff wins in that count too. I wonder when the Spurs do it if he gets credit for those games he let Coach Bud coach. Won't have the same debate with that Boylen game as he forgot about Kawhi.

look_at_g_shred
07-28-2014, 03:36 PM
It goes without saying. I doubt this thread will be the straw that breaks the camels back.