PDA

View Full Version : Can Pop top last years coaching performance?

MultiTroll
07-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Or match it?

For those of us who think Pops 2104 season including Championship Redemption was his best, can he match or top it in 2014-15?

I believe if he can match or even exceed it, we repeat. Of course health, non rigged reffing etc will be neccessary but for here and now, coaching.

rmt
07-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Doesn't need to top it. Continue to rest the big 3 and involve Leonard MORE in the offense. De-emphasis Parker/Duncan pick and roll and do more ball movement so the players truly become interchangeable. Develop Daye to replace Bonner and give Bellinelli Mills' minutes.

xmas1997
07-27-2014, 03:13 PM
I don't see why not.
Plus they hired Messina, and drafted Kyle.
That should be all the edge they need, besides "luck" in remaining healthy.

silverblk mystix
07-27-2014, 06:21 PM
If he remembers what he once said,

"how do we handle winning/success" (or something similar)

and takes his own advice - he can top it.

If he loses his "hunger for redemption" because he knew he fucked the spurs in game 6 -

then he won't top it.

Pop choking in game 6 was the biggest reason for Pop coming back hungry for redemption and putting together his best ever coaching season.

HemisfairArena
07-27-2014, 06:45 PM
I've been a huge Pop basher but game 6 provided the inspiration needed to reach the pinnacle of his coaching talent. He wont top it because it was as good as it gets with the roster we have. Who would have thought an old Big 3 could crush in the Finals the way they did with a young kid breaking out along the way,,,,Pop did an outstanding job not letting his ego get in the way and coached to his strengths. If he takes the same approach,,,Spurs win #6 and go back to back.

urunobili
07-27-2014, 06:54 PM
I would never underestimate Pop. With that said, knowing Messina would be coming over was probably the chance why he resigned as he can take it easier.

ElNono
07-27-2014, 06:56 PM
Hopefully the surgery doesn't hinder him... I'm hoping Messina and Udoka keep the fire alive and bring some new ideas.

heyheymymy
07-27-2014, 07:31 PM
he will top it if pop and his staff can:

- develop cory joseph to a breakout year with mills' mins the first few months

- get ayres to learn how to catch a ball

- polish baynes who is still a bit raw

- get daye to click in a role (long shot)

- maintain belinelli and get his confidence in his role back to reg season 14 status

- develop/toros for anderson and fit him in a role

hitmantb
07-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Health is #1 concern, and of course with Duncan/Manu you never know when the wheels will fell off for good.

OKC is the #2 concern, still the toughest match-up and a full strength OKC team with proper minute management for Durant/Westbrook is incredibly difficult to beat.

Cleveland with Love is the X-factor, LeBron just keeps on coming up with overpowered big three's and he will probably get his ref treatment back now NBA wants to sell return of the king plots.

HemisfairArena
07-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Health is #1 concern, and of course with Duncan/Manu you never know when the wheels will fell off for good.

OKC is the #2 concern, still the toughest match-up and a full strength OKC team with proper minute management for Durant/Westbrook is incredibly difficult to beat.

Cleveland with Love is the X-factor, LeBron just keeps on coming up with overpowered big three's and he will probably get his ref treatment back now NBA wants to sell return of the king plots.

I actually think Portland will be the team we need to fear more than OKC next year,,,

KL2
07-27-2014, 10:07 PM
He almost choked in round 1, KY isn't that great at guarding quick PG's like Ellis, whereas Green excels at it (his 1st great lockdown performance ever actually came against Ellis), he went away from the obvious defensive match ups and it greatly hurt the Spurs. This wasn't the first time either, it happened in the GS series as well. He had Green on KT and KY on Curry, took him like 2 games to fix the match up after they were getting burned, both players proceeded to shut their man down.

Involve Leonard in the offense more by actually drawing plays for him, lessen the Splitter/TD combo as it destroys spacing, develop the young guns and he'll top it easily.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-27-2014, 10:17 PM
I think he'll use 2000, 2004, 2006 and 2008 as a strong motivator - surely these guys want a repeat to place the cherry on top of their careers?

Beyond that, it's just a matter of managing minutes and injuries, giving more of the scoring load to Kawhi, and adding a few new wrinkles. I think he'll do the best possible job - the day he's not capable of that is the day he retires.

ChumpDumper
07-27-2014, 10:25 PM
lol the rear guard hating is pathetic

testies
07-28-2014, 12:37 AM
I think it will be hard to repeat last season, in terms of fluidity, passing, shooting.. that was something we will remember for decades

I just hope for a team that will fight and give their best, don't care if we don't repeat

Floyd Pacquiao
07-28-2014, 01:10 AM
Hopefully the surgery doesn't hinder him... I'm hoping Messina and Udoka keep the fire alive and bring some new ideas.

Pop had surgery?

HI-FI
07-28-2014, 01:43 AM
que? did ElCliente let you in on a secret? haven't read that anywhere else....

Sean Cagney
07-28-2014, 02:02 AM

- maintain belinelli and get his confidence in his role back to reg season 14 status

Ayres doing a thing at all or catching the ball is the real long shot there...... He just sucks.

ElNono
07-28-2014, 02:03 AM
Pop had surgery?

que? did ElCliente let you in on a secret? haven't read that anywhere else....

He had hip replacement surgery, per this article:

www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237873

look_at_g_shred
07-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Any pop suckers gonna do some damage control?

Agloco
07-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Any pop suckers gonna do some damage control?

:cry It's all Pop's fault. We should be celebrating 8 now. :cry

tholdren
07-28-2014, 03:02 PM
I don't see why not.
Plus they hired Messina, and drafted Kyle.
That should be all the edge they need, besides "luck" in remaining healthy.

I agree that health is a major factor, but I dont see how he can top it. People thought SA was done, we didnt pick up any super-star, he absolutely did an amazing job keeping them focused, managing minutes, and maintained bench confidence. Those things will all be expected this year, and unfortunately he will be a failure (mainstream) if he doesnt duplicate the success with the addition of the two you mentioned and another year together. Even if you dont agree with his rotations or decisions, it would be hard for anyone to not put Gregg in the top, if not the top, of the coaching ladder. People dont understand how hard it is to build a culture, and maintain it with professional athletes. If he leads SA to a ring this year, I dont know how anyone could say there was a better coach.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Pop's other secret weapon is that Tim, Manu and Tony are all hyper-competitive, and they expect nothing less than full commitment from their teammates. With Tim and Manu's careers close to an end, they'll have plenty of motivation to do it one last time.

EP Money Man
07-29-2014, 10:09 PM
He had hip replacement surgery, per this article:

www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237873 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237873)

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/29/report-gregg-popovich-had-hip-replacement-surgery/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

DMC
07-29-2014, 10:58 PM
At some point Pop is going to want/need a hiatus from all this. I don't see how he can keep an edge. Hell, when the Heat made 4 consecutive Finals... you have to think they lose their edge after a while. Other teams are hungry, but how do you stay hungry when you're so full and looking down the barrel at a sunset ride?

100%duncan
07-30-2014, 04:33 AM
I think he'll use 2000, 2004, 2006 and 2008 as a strong motivator - surely these guys want a repeat to place the cherry on top of their careers?

Beyond that, it's just a matter of managing minutes and injuries, giving more of the scoring load to Kawhi, and adding a few new wrinkles. I think he'll do the best possible job - the day he's not capable of that is the day he retires.

This

romain.star
07-31-2014, 02:18 AM

IMO, those are secondary coaching issues for next year.

What Pop has to do is:
1/ Find a way to motivate his guys as successfully as he did last year after the Finals chocking disapointment (this will be hard)
2/ Manage wisely old legs and young legs minutes

illusioNtEk
07-31-2014, 03:45 AM
CIA POP.

never forget

BillMc
07-31-2014, 03:56 AM
IMO, those are secondary coaching issues for next year.

What Pop has to do is:
1/ Find a way to motivate his guys as successfully as he did last year after the Finals chocking disapointment (this will be hard)
2/ Manage wisely old legs and young legs minutes

This. Spot on!

spursparker9
07-31-2014, 04:37 AM
Just find a way to get that Jim something guy and Errors off the team.

FromWayDowntown
07-31-2014, 09:00 AM
. . . . unfortunately he will be a failure (mainstream) if he doesnt duplicate the success with the addition of the two you mentioned and another year together. Even if you dont agree with his rotations or decisions, it would be hard for anyone to not put Gregg in the top, if not the top, of the coaching ladder. People dont understand how hard it is to build a culture, and maintain it with professional athletes. If he leads SA to a ring this year, I dont know how anyone could say there was a better coach.

It's remarkable to me that Pop could conceivably do an even better job in the coming season managing his team and coaching strategically and if his team doesn't win the title, there are people who will question his coaching. There is virtually nobody in the free agent era of professional sports who's been able to sustain excellence in management the way Pop has. (Belichick? Sloan? Maybe the 49'ers of the 80's and early 90's? the Red Wings from the mid-90's through the late 00's?) And no matter who you might identify as a peer in longevity and general success, there are fewer still who've sustained that success while dotting it with 5 titles.

After all these years, I think it's about the safest statement in sports to say that Pop is the best in his league at what he does and that for all the greatness of his players, Pop is vital to giving his teams a fighting chance every year. He's not above criticism at times, but I can't pretend to understand those who devote considerable time to criticizing him.

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 12:11 PM
It's remarkable to me that Pop could conceivably do an even better job in the coming season managing his team and coaching strategically and if his team doesn't win the title, there are people who will question his coaching. There is virtually nobody in the free agent era of professional sports who's been able to sustain excellence in management the way Pop has. (Belichick? Sloan? Maybe the 49'ers of the 80's and early 90's? the Red Wings from the mid-90's through the late 00's?) And no matter who you might identify as a peer in longevity and general success, there are fewer still who've sustained that success while dotting it with 5 titles.

After all these years, I think it's about the safest statement in sports to say that Pop is the best in his league at what he does and that for all the greatness of his players, Pop is vital to giving his teams a fighting chance every year. He's not above criticism at times, but I can't pretend to understand those who devote considerable time to criticizing him.

Excellent, excellent post.
No one is above criticism because no one is perfect.
Yet I have a problem with those who do nothing except criticize, and yet are not able to do better themselves.

Jimcs50
07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
They say, and I guess Spurs are living proof that it is harder to repeat than to win a championship, so if Spurs get number 1 seed again and win it again, then yes, Pop will top this past year as coach.

cutewizard
07-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Messina plus Pop equals Excellence

apalisoc_9
08-01-2014, 12:21 AM
He almost choked in round 1, KY isn't that great at guarding quick PG's like Ellis, whereas Green excels at it (his 1st great lockdown performance ever actually came against Ellis), he went away from the obvious defensive match ups and it greatly hurt the Spurs. This wasn't the first time either, it happened in the GS series as well. He had Green on KT and KY on Curry, took him like 2 games to fix the match up after they were getting burned, both players proceeded to shut their man down.

Involve Leonard in the offense more by actually drawing plays for him, lessen the Splitter/TD combo as it destroys spacing, develop the young guns and he'll top it easily.

:tu

therealtruth
08-01-2014, 04:25 AM
Chance to define his legacy. Find a way to repeat.

spurspokesman
08-01-2014, 07:20 AM
I take the good with the bad when it comes to pop. And his good strongly outweighs his bad so kudos to him and I dont care if he tops this performance, he just has to be consistent and no. 6 will be in arms reach

Maddog
08-01-2014, 07:49 AM
Pop's got a lot more tricks up his sleeve

New to the festival this year is Popovich Comedy Pet Theater, which features Gregory Popovich and 30 trained animals including dogs, cats, geese, birds and mice in a comedy/circus act. Popovich rescued and trained the animals in the show. As a juggler, clown and pet trainer, Popovich combines physical comedy, balancing and acrobatics.

http://www.comedypet.com/aboutgreg.html#bio
http://www.mercurynews.com/my-town/ci_26075852/arts-notes-walnut-creek-journal-and-lamorinda-sun

TampaDude
08-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Just keep everyone healthy and the repeat is in the bag.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

wildbill2u
08-01-2014, 10:41 AM
It depends on the circumstances. Every year is a new challenge, but some years have greater challenges and difficulties for a coach to overcome. Last year was extraordinarily challenging and Pop did a masterful job in bringing the team along from the disappointment of of 2013.

2015's challenge will be to repeat, but it will not carry the same emotional content nor the difficulties of 2014 in all likelihood. Injuries could change the view of next year, but if all goes well, it will not be as difficult a job as this year.

MultiTroll
02-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Nope, not in the regular season.

Still a prayer for the playoffs tho.