PDA

View Full Version : When was the moment you allowed yourself to celebrate 5?

LoneStarState'sPride
07-28-2014, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I'm still on that title high and don't plan on coming down anytime soon. Been a little over a month and it still feels surreal to me that they won it all. :lol

When did you finally allow yourself to begin celebrating without reservation?

For me, it was that sequence in the 3rd quarter of game 5 with Splitter blocking Wade, back to back Mills threes, and finally the Ginobili three to put SA up 21. Yeah there was still time on the clock, but the celebration was in full swing for me at that point. Don't think I've ever felt more pride, relief, and joy as a Spurs fan than at that moment.

szkorhetz
07-28-2014, 08:20 AM
When Parker started hero-ball and the Heat let him close it down.

will_spurs
07-28-2014, 08:36 AM
About 5 minutes after the end of Game 5 I started to feel 100% sure it was too late for the refs or the NBA to screw us over.

boutons_deux
07-28-2014, 08:37 AM
"When did you finally allow yourself to begin celebrating without reservation?"

Spurs bouncing back, like Champions, and taking Game3 by 19 points @M (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=48241)IA SERIES OVER

Old School 44
07-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I'm still on that title high and don't plan on coming down anytime soon. Been a little over a month and it still feels surreal to me that they won it all. :lol

For me, it was that sequence in the 3rd quarter of game 5 with Splitter blocking Wade, back to back Mills threes, and finally the Ginobili three to put SA up 21. Yeah there was still time on the clock, but the celebration was in full swing for me at that point. Don't think I've ever felt more pride, relief, and joy as a Spurs fan than at that moment.
Yep...the flood gates were open at this point. As Mike Breen described it "what an avalanche from San Antonio!". That sequence was incredible. The AT&T was in a frenzy, the loudest I've ever heard it. Probably would have been even louder, if 3/4 of the upper deck, weren't trying to record it on their cell phones.

100%duncan
07-28-2014, 09:00 AM
When Kawhi hit that 3. They never looked back.

Spurs 4 The Win
07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
When I got home from going to the game and I rewatched the celebration ending where Manu was kissing his wife and Tim was crying with his kids. It hit me hard, I then proceeded to get hammered and party all night. One of the best nights of my life. What an awesome memory.

urunobili
07-28-2014, 09:23 AM
After Manu's Dunk I knew the Heat would not recover from that. With that said, I only started celebrating when Parker got hot in the 4th.

Spur|n|Austin
07-28-2014, 09:39 AM
It was known for most if not all of the 4th that it was in the bag, but for me personally - it was when it showed Pop on the bench. That's when it got real and a little emotional for me and the family. Also this:

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tony+Parker+2014+NBA+Finals+Game+Five+lhf_fkJEjLDl .jpg

kobyz
07-28-2014, 10:19 AM
I still hadn't have the oportonity to celebrate and enjoy the title

rayray2k8
07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
During the 2 min warning in game 5 of the 4th quarter, then it hit me. After all the spurs have been through the last few years, you just never know what may happen.

spursparker9
07-28-2014, 10:25 AM
After that Manu's dunk over Bosh that put SA up 5 or 7.

Budkin
07-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I was so wasted I can't even remember. I think somewhere near the end of the 3rd.

look_at_g_shred
07-28-2014, 10:35 AM
When Manu posterized Bosh. I knew it was over then

SpurSwag
07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
It was that burst from Manu that was capped off by the dunk, the lead was still in single digits but the heat gave it they're all in the first, we weathered the storm and once we took control I knew there was no coming back. The tiago block and patty 3's was full on celebration though

TheyCallMePro
07-28-2014, 11:06 AM
After we beat OKC in game 6 in OT.

I knew we had just beat the 2nd best team in the NBA. And I knew that the Clippers were the 3rd best team. And that the Heat were a shell of themselves, and the 4th best team. Losing Mike Miller, and adding a thug like Michael Beasely and a cripple in Greg Oden was terrible for that team's morale. It requires a Herculean effort to beat a team like the Spurs, and Miami just didn't have it in them. I thought we would sweep them, and we should have. I'm not surprised at all that it was the most lopsided Finals in terms of point differential in history.

Lebron had to leave that sinking ship. Battier retired. Mike Miller was gone. Ray Allen was old. Wade's knees were shaky. The Heat fans were horrible (especially during the Finals, booing their own team off the court in games 3 and 4) and the thrill of playing in Miami was just gone.

wildbill2u
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I sorta began when Leonard hit to put us up one and then Manu made two absolutely hell-bent drives to score. I think the crowd sensed it too. There seemed to be a different sort of cheering going and it was deafening. By the time I was celebrating with some Scotch during half-time, I was surprised at how many didn't return to their seats for the 3rd quarter but just kept on drinking and celebrating while watching the Spurs pull away on TV.

This championship meant a lot more than the other four.

lefty
07-28-2014, 11:26 AM
When Duncan made his staterment after the OKC series

spurraider21
07-28-2014, 11:44 AM
When Duncan made his staterment after the OKC series
:cry

Fireball
07-28-2014, 12:12 PM
after Spo took out Lebron in the 4th I realized the Heat would have nothing left to fight back

Trainwreck2100
07-28-2014, 12:17 PM
when Duncan scored over Haslem, cause that was just proof they had nobody to stop him. Haslem isn't even that good, mind you, but they had nobody else

TampaDude
07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

^ this, tbh

I know that big early leads don't usually hold up, but I was wondering if that hole would get too deep to climb out of...then we started clawing back and I realized that Miami had shot their wad early...when Kawhi nailed that pull up 3 to give us our first lead of the game, I knew right then that it was over...we were going to be NBA Champions that night. :hat

jon123spurs
07-28-2014, 12:25 PM
As soon as the buzzer sounded. I was in the arena and then i finally realized we did it. It was truly a special moment. Something i'll never forget.

Dre_7
07-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Hell yeah! The moment he hit that three, I knew it was over as well. I was with a friend and the moment that shot went in I stood up, put my hands in the air like Randy Orton, and said "Spurs got this!"

And I have been celebrating ever since. Just re-watched game 3 and 4 over the weekend, haha.

Horse
07-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Soon as we took the lead after that awful 1st quarter, you could tell miami had no answer and their spirit was crushed.

jag
07-28-2014, 12:33 PM
When Pop pulled the starters and the players were all standing up around the bench hugging.

Game 6 ruined me as a fan. I'll never be able to celebrate any competitive match until there's no possible way to lose.

timtonymanu
07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
When the Spurs won both games in Miami and had a 3-1 lead. I started feeling like the title was ours. No way did Miami have anything left after that. Even when they went off in the 1st quarter in Game 5, I knew the Spurs were just going to go off eventually.

RD2191
07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
As soon as the buzzer sounded. I was in the arena and then i finally realized we did it. It was truly a special moment. Something i'll never forget.
:lol

baseline bum
07-28-2014, 01:00 PM
When Kawhi hit that transition three to put the Spurs up two in the second quarter. You just knew as soon as the Spurs took the lead that the game was over. Miami came out and played a perfect first 5-6 minutes and was up 16, and it still wasn't enough. Nothing about the series made me think they had any chance to force a Game 6 once they ceded that lead.

UUjqYBcSpRM

KaiRMD1
07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
The start of the second half of game 5

exstatic
07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Tbh, Kawhi's filthy putback dunk just before halftime of game four. Once Miami's fans booed them, and it was clear they would drop game four to go down 3-1, it was over.

Ginobili3
07-28-2014, 01:04 PM
I don't know if its still hit me yet tbh :lol. It just feels odd for some reason, I dunno if it's because its an even year or whether it was because it was such a team-oriented effort, but the sense of feeling on my part is different than what I experienced in the 2003/5/7 ones.

J.T.
07-28-2014, 01:21 PM
When Patty Mills was banging 3's in the 3rd quarter of Game 5

baseline bum
07-28-2014, 01:27 PM

That whole sequence was crazy. I remember the score was 54-42 and the Spurs get the ball to Mills on the baseline. He drives past LeBron and jumps on the other side of the rim to use the rim to keep LeBron from blocking it. Lays it in and it's 56-42 Spurs. Timeout Miami.

After play resumes Mike Breen says it has been a 50-20 Spurs run since it was 22-6. Spurs commit a foul and sideline out of bounds Miami. They swing it on the perimeter to Wade on the baseline, he drives, beats Leonard, and Splitter comes and rejects that shit, dropping Wade to the floor. Manu gets the ball and streaks on the left, Mills right, Diaw center. Diaw gets the pass into the post and sends it to Mills for open three. Bang. Diaw pumps his fist and punches at the air while running back.

Miami rushes back up the floor and Bosh gets a running layup to go in traffic. Spurs inbound to Manu while Patty streaks up the left side. Miami gets lazy, Manu sees Mills is open, passes, Mills for three. Bang.

Miami comes up the floor, LeBron misses about a five footer, Leonard brings the ball up the center, Manu streaks up the left side of the court for the open three. Bang. Manu gets mobbed, Spurs 65-44, timeout Miami.

Beaverfuzz
07-28-2014, 01:28 PM

When the buzzer sounded. You puss.

LoneStarState'sPride
07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
This championship meant a lot more than the other four.

Truth. They're all special in their own way, but in so many ways, this one was the absolute sweetest as a fan.

Blizzardwizard
07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
I'm still not sure if I can... You sure there's no way the NBA or the refs or David Stern or Donald Sterling or Karl Malone can take it away to keep for themselves?

szkorhetz
07-28-2014, 02:19 PM
That whole sequence was crazy. I remember the score was 54-42 and the Spurs get the ball to Mills on the baseline. He drives past LeBron and jumps on the other side of the rim to use the rim to keep LeBron from blocking it. Lays it in and it's 56-42 Spurs. Timeout Miami.

After play resumes Mike Breen says it has been a 50-20 Spurs run since it was 22-6. Spurs commit a foul and sideline out of bounds Miami. They swing it on the perimeter to Wade on the baseline, he drives, beats Leonard, and Splitter comes and rejects that shit, dropping Wade to the floor. Manu gets the ball and streaks on the left, Mills right, Diaw center. Diaw gets the pass into the post and sends it to Mills for open three. Bang. Diaw pumps his fist and punches at the air while running back.

Miami rushes back up the floor and Bosh gets a running layup to go in traffic. Spurs inbound to Manu while Patty streaks up the left side. Miami gets lazy, Manu sees Mills is open, passes, Mills for three. Bang.

Miami comes up the floor, LeBron misses about a five footer, Leonard brings the ball up the center, Manu streaks up the left side of the court for the open three. Bang. Manu gets mobbed, Spurs 65-44, timeout Miami.
It was Manu, but other than that, really a perfect observation.

lefty
07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
I'm still not sure if I can... You sure there's no way the NBA or the refs or David Stern or Donald Sterling or Karl Malone can take it away to keep for themselves?

Obstructed_View
07-28-2014, 02:24 PM
I didn't even allow myself to entertain the idea of the Spurs winning a title until about 28 seconds to go in game 6 last year. About 12 seconds of feeling good, then gone.

Unlike last year, I didn't stress about this team for some reason, even when they were behind. Even in game 7 against the Mavs. After game 2 of the Finals I was sure they were going to win the next three, though I knew it was a crazy thing to believe. At the end of the first quarter of game 5 when the Spurs were down by 7, I knew it was over. Miami scored like 22 points in the first half of the quarter and only five the second half. The Spurs had everything clicking and it was just a matter of time. Last time I was this confident in a Spurs team was probably 1999.

BatManu20
07-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Right when the Spurs locked up home-court advantage throughout the playoffs, tbh :hat

daslicer
07-28-2014, 02:33 PM
When Lebron went to the bench in the 4th of Game 5 and had to be consoled by Haslem. That is when I knew the spurs were going to win.

Robz4000
07-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Still haven't started celebrating tbh. Banner hasn't been hung yet.

Spursone
07-28-2014, 02:51 PM
At the end of game four, there was not way we were going to lose in SA up 3-1. It was so fun to watch TEAM BALL, no other Finals has ever matched!

REPEAT BABY!

florige
07-28-2014, 03:00 PM
When LBJ checked himself out in the 4th. I was good then. Anytime the best player in the world is on the floor anything can happen.

xellos88330
07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
After game 4. Miami had no answer. They had to keep their foot on the gas to have a chance and they just weren't capable of maintaining the proper momentum on either side of the ball.

Leetonidas
07-28-2014, 03:46 PM
When Tiago rejected the shit out of Wade and Mills hit the three on the ensuing possession. You know the game was in hand when that happened

Maddog
07-28-2014, 04:10 PM
That was when I felt certain

cantthinkofanything
07-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Still haven't started celebrating tbh. Bonner hasn't been hung yet.

FIFY

SnakeBoy
07-28-2014, 04:18 PM
4th quarter game 4

gameFACE
07-28-2014, 04:54 PM
When Mills came in dropped trey after trey in the 3rd I felt good. Then when Tony finally started playing well to keep the lead in the 4th after Kawhi was in foul trouble I knew there would be no Miami comeback.

Galileo
07-28-2014, 04:57 PM
When the Fat Lady sang.

:gpower

dbreiden83080
07-28-2014, 05:16 PM
About four minutest to go Spurs were up by 18 to 20 points. Everyone on the Miami Heat had their heads down it was clear they just wanted to be over.

jehawk81
07-28-2014, 05:37 PM

This tbh! U knew it was just a matter of time b4 the Spurs were going to take control of 5 & this is when it happened. I don't remember the exact sequence of the 3, but I think LeBron was loafing around on the Spurs side of the court while KL took off with the ball & pulled up for that 3! The Heat had no answer & even tho the game wouldn't get completely outta hand till later on in the 3rd, this is when I started celebrating! I watched the game with my little bro & a friend, & after this play my little bro & I hollered, jumped & hugged with joy & that's when we said GAME OVER!! We watched the rest of the game with a big smile, celebrating every play with simple hi-5s

z0sa
07-28-2014, 05:42 PM
When Kawhi hit that transition three to put the Spurs up two in the second quarter. You just knew as soon as the Spurs took the lead that the game was over. Miami came out and played a perfect first 5-6 minutes and was up 16, and it still wasn't enough. Nothing about the series made me think they had any chance to force a Game 6 once they ceded that lead.

UUjqYBcSpRM

This. I knew Miami would come out firing. When the Spurs finally took the lead I knew it was all over for Miami.

baseline bum
07-28-2014, 06:22 PM
About four minutest to go Spurs were up by 18 to 20 points. Everyone on the Miami Heat had their heads down it was clear they just wanted to be over.

Come on man, you didn't think it was over with 7 minutes or so left when LeBron came out and was crying next to Haslem on the bench?

DatBoyGood
07-28-2014, 07:25 PM
When Tiago murdered Wade on that block :lol

dbreiden83080
07-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Come on man, you didn't think it was over with 7 minutes or so left when LeBron came out and was crying next to Haslem on the bench?

LOL.. Logically yes but I have seen so much crazy ass shit in the NBA.. I still remember when I was a kid going to the toilet Knicks up 6 with like 20 seconds to go and when I came back tie game..

CGD
07-28-2014, 08:26 PM

The_Coyote
07-28-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't know if its still hit me yet tbh :lol. It just feels odd for some reason, I dunno if it's because its an even year or whether it was because it was such a team-oriented effort, but the sense of feeling on my part is different than what I experienced in the 2003/5/7 ones.

This precisely. I think the way we dismantled the competition (especially the Heat) was sort of anticlimactic. Not saying I'm not immensely proud of/impressed by our guys, but I think I had this idea that if we beat Miami it would be like '05 and go down to the wire all the way till the 4th quarter of Game 7.

Baseline
07-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Final buzzer of Game 5. At that point, no idiotic decision by Pop could possibly derail a title.

And no decree by David Stern could either.

Ramarini
07-28-2014, 09:48 PM
When the Spurs came back to tie the score after going down, what?, 22-6 to start the game. I said to the friend I was watching the game with that the Heat had no one who could take control and bring them back. Of course, I wasn't 100% sure. maybe 99%.

BanditHiro
07-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Manu's Dunk pretty much crushed the Heat's spirit.

itzkarl813
07-29-2014, 10:32 AM
I don't think 5 hit me until after seeing them all celebrate and seeing Timmy bring his kids onto the podium, that's when it really hit me how special this time around was. And boy was it satisfying to see Manu pull that dunk off in Bosh's eye!

Jimcs50
07-29-2014, 10:43 AM
After our 2nd blowout in Miami, I knew it was a given that they were winning

Jimcs50
07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Final buzzer of Game 5. At that point, no idiotic decision by Pop could possibly derail a title.

And no decree by David Stern could either.

um, Stern was no longer in the picture

baseline bum
07-29-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised no one has said in the fourth quarter when the commercial came on with Tim Duncan telling us not to riot. :lol

Russo21
07-29-2014, 11:16 AM
I'm surprised no one has said in the fourth quarter when the commercial came on with Tim Duncan telling us not to riot. :lol Wasn't on my channel. Did that really happen lol? That's awesome! Video proof?

baseline bum
07-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Wasn't on my channel. Did that really happen lol? That's awesome! Video proof?

It was on the San Antonio broadcast with maybe 2 minute left in the game. I can only find the one from 07 though:

lMfEbyuhMT4

Russo21
07-29-2014, 11:33 AM
It was on the San Antonio broadcast with maybe 2 minute left in the game. I can only find the one from 07 though:

lMfEbyuhMT4
That is fantastic mate! Absolutely brilliant. In my country, Australia, instead of showing the real commercials they show in the USA, in time out breaks, half time breaks etc they just show boring Australian shit or what Is coming on TV after the basketball. So I miss out on a lot of the real NBA commercials here unfortunately. Thanks or sharing.

manufan10
07-29-2014, 12:27 PM
:lol at the people worried about Stern when he's not even the commissioner any more.

Like others have said, when Kawhi hit that 3 in transition to finally give the Spurs the lead, and then the exclamation mark dunk from Manu. You could tell it was over by the body language from the Heat players. They had already given up.

I really lost it when the starters came off the floor and started hugging, and then when they met their families after the game, and the shot of Pop sitting on the bench. It was all very emotional. I full of pride when they introduced Kawhi as the Finals MVP. Probably one of my favorite moments from the season.

boutons_deux
07-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Pop laughing so hard, so pleased when KL won FMVP. Could have been his own son.

mingus
07-29-2014, 12:35 PM
I could tell by the 2nd quarter that the Heat's body language was so bad that the Spurs had it.

B-Hath
07-29-2014, 01:33 PM
Not till the clock hit 0:00.

Ginobili3
07-29-2014, 01:56 PM
This precisely. I think the way we dismantled the competition (especially the Heat) was sort of anticlimactic. Not saying I'm not immensely proud of/impressed by our guys, but I think I had this idea that if we beat Miami it would be like '05 and go down to the wire all the way till the 4th quarter of Game 7.
Maybe if it was more competitive, then the feeling would be different. Wonder if Laker or Heat fans felt the same in 09 and 12.

xmas1997
07-29-2014, 02:54 PM
A better question would be, when will I stop?
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

baseline bum
07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
A better question would be, when will I stop?
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Dex
07-29-2014, 03:05 PM
When Parker started hero-ball and the Heat let him close it down.

tbh.

Once Tony found his stroke in the 4th quarter, I knew there was going to be no epic letdown or crazy comeback. Parker had been held down the entire game, and he finally emerged to put up a 14-point quarter with a dime to slam the door shut.

TampaDude
07-29-2014, 04:58 PM

lMfEbyuhMT4

:toast

Kager
07-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Game 6 last season is still burnt to deep into my mind.... until LBJ and co sat and the benches finished the game I was not game to celebrate.

hater
07-30-2014, 10:56 PM

good thread

unfortunately Cartel business kept me from watching live Finals games but IMO it was in game 4 when SPurs were pounding the cHeat late in the 2nd quarter (I think?) and early in the 3rd.

Even just looking at gamecast I could see this was a beatdown of the likes of Pacquiao vs Barrera I

Barrera kept getting up but only to get demolished again and again

mudyez
07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
0:00

Spurs 4 The Win
07-31-2014, 12:11 AM
I rewatched the end of Game 6 and it is so weird, I thought we were gonna win the title again, we had all the momentum. I think what made it hurt was the fact that everyone was probably celebrating 5, as I was, when we went to the line to try and extend the lead to 6. We let our guards down and we got punched in the nose right after, devestating. But to come back from that and to overcome the pressure to win it this time, and there was a lot of pressure, is incredible. It was an amazing journey to win this title, we all held onto the hope of redemption knowing it was most likely a 50% chance at best we could make it back, and for it to come together the way it did was historical.

spurraider21
07-31-2014, 12:44 AM
when starting bonner in a playoff game against the thunder actually worked

GrandeDavid
07-31-2014, 09:27 AM
I was blessed to have the opportunity to attend Game 5 and sat right next to the ESPN crew. I literally could've reached over and touch Bill Simmons' shoulder. What was cool was a moment late in the game during a commercial break seeing Collins and Simmons standing up leaning over the rail gazing out at the court. You could sense their admiration for the San Antonio Spurs organization.

I would say I began getting excited a couple minutes into the fourth period.

Spurs9
07-31-2014, 09:47 AM
Driving downtown and getting stuck in traffic, watching people on the highway in front of the alamodome running with spurs flags in the dark. It was awesome

JR3
07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
It was known for most if not all of the 4th that it was in the bag, but for me personally - it was when it showed Pop on the bench. That's when it got real and a little emotional for me and the family. Also this:

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Tony+Parker+2014+NBA+Finals+Game+Five+lhf_fkJEjLDl .jpg

This... exactly this...

florige
07-31-2014, 03:16 PM
I fully expected Miami, mostly LBJ to come out firing on all cylinders. I was just sitting there praying that we wouldn't let the game get out of hand where we found ourselves down by 30 or something crazy like that. I was fully confident if we could keep the score under 20 we would have a fighting chance. I knew LBJ was was going to cool off at some point, (saying that I was praying that he didn't go 06 Pistons on us) I was just wondering how/if the other Miami players would step up which they didn't.

baseline bum
07-31-2014, 04:15 PM
I fully expected Miami, mostly LBJ to come out firing on all cylinders. I was just sitting there praying that we wouldn't let the game get out of hand where we found ourselves down by 30 or something crazy like that. I was fully confident if we could keep the score under 20 we would have a fighting chance. I knew LBJ was was going to cool off at some point, (saying that I was praying that he didn't go 06 Pistons on us) I was just wondering how/if the other Miami players would step up which they didn't.

What's funny is a 30 point lead wouldn't have been enough considering the 59-22 run the Spurs went on from the middle of the first to the middle of the third quarter.

florige
07-31-2014, 04:56 PM
What's funny is a 30 point lead wouldn't have been enough considering the 59-22 run the Spurs went on from the middle of the first to the middle of the third quarter.

Yeah that was an insane run they went on. I have never seen anything like that before.