PDA

View Full Version : Tall Blacks want Sean Marks

Kori Ellis
08-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Baldwin sends SOS to Marks
22 August 2005
By MARTYN WATTERSON

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3384695a1823,00.html

Coach Tab Baldwin wants former international Sean Marks, one of New Zealand's most successful basketballers, to wear the Tall Blacks singlet again.

Marks, a 2.1m, 114kg abrasive forward who claimed a National Basketball Association (NBA) championship ring in the United States with the San Antonio Spurs this year, retired from international basketball in June.

Now Baldwin has issued a plea for Marks to come back into the fold after New Zealand's lack of size and experience in the front line was exposed in their 0-3 Oceania series loss to Australia.

Australia claimed the third test 91-80 here today, with the Tall Blacks struggling on attack and defence throughout the series without a world class forward.

"The door is open for Sean and that will continue to stay open and he's aware of that," Baldwin said.

"The word from him is that he's retired. The word from us is Sean we appreciate your position, we accept what you say. . . but.

"The door will always be open for Sean; he's a Tall Black."

Marks, 29, was the first New Zealander to crack the NBA when traded to the Toronto Raptors in 1998.

After a stint with Miami Heat, Marks was signed by the Spurs in 2003.

Weeks after winning an NBA ring this year, although he did not play in the 4-3 finals victory over the Detroit Pistons, Marks ended his Tall Blacks career.

With two young children, Marks said he wanted to spend more time with his family.

He was missed in this series by the Tall Blacks as Australia exploited some weak defence inside the keyhole.

They also suffered from not having a `big' man on attack, an aggressive forward to secure offensive rebounds and score from close range.

Boomers coach Brian Goorjian confirmed they exploited that lack of size.

"They don't have a seven foot go-to guy who you can throw the ball into.

"Pero (Cameron) does a lot for them but they don't have that piece. They battle and scrap and they play their arses off to try and stay in the game, but when you look at them, compared to other countries in the world, they're missing a huge piece.

"We stay on their shooters and make them beat us inside and they're missing that player."

While New Zealand's Tony Rampton offers height at 2.13m and played well for the Tall Blacks in this, Marks is in a different league.

Even though the Boomers were without the NBA No 1 draft pick this year in the 2.13m Andrew Bogut, they still had the lofty David Anderson and Matthew Nielsen who proved to be game-winners.

"Not only were their bigs pretty good, three of their front line bigs weren't here and they certainly are of international class," Baldwin said.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Does Sean Marks really make that much of a difference?

Duncan21
08-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Does Sean Marks really make that much of a difference?

yes, if Marks played in those games against Australia New Zealand would of won

MaNuMaNiAc
08-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Interesting

angel_luv
08-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh no! Are we going to lose Sean? = (

SequSpur
08-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I am offended by Tall Blacks.

ALVAREZ6
08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

xcoriate
08-21-2005, 07:03 PM

No.

nzkickass
08-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Yes !

marcus
08-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Oh no! Are we going to lose Sean? = (

lol, maybe we can also send Linton Johnson to play with New Zealand as a gift.

ICE3000
08-22-2005, 02:15 AM

What is a tall black?? and why is that guy lauhging about you being offended??

NZHayden
08-22-2005, 06:25 AM
omg the term tall black has been explained millions of times. the new zealand basketball team is called the tall blacks derived from the name of the national rugby team the all blacks, as most bball players are tall it kind of makes sense to call them the tall blacks also considering the national colours of new zealand are black silver and white.

oh and if marks was playing for nz in the series against oz we would have won at least one game, he would have eased the pressure on our go-to guys such as pero cameron, kirk penney and mark dickel

ZStomp
08-22-2005, 06:43 AM
They could have him. :lol

angel_luv
08-22-2005, 08:03 AM
They could have him. :lol

Wicked Z!
:nope :nope :nope

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2005, 12:07 PM

He's laughing because Sequ is a short/ um.....he's a short....... hold on, I know what it is, he's a short nonblack guy, (come to think of it what the hell is Sequ, besides short)

ALVAREZ6
08-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Sequ was referring to "tall black" as a tall, black person.

Sequ obviously wasn't being serious about him being offended since he is the exact opposite of "tall black." He's best described as "rather short white".

Sorry Sequ :lol I'm just explaining to ICE.

ICE3000
08-23-2005, 05:59 AM
Sequ was referring to "tall black" as a tall, black person.

Sequ obviously wasn't being serious about him being offended since he is the exact opposite of "tall black." He's best described as "rather short white".

Sorry Sequ :lol I'm just explaining to ICE.

I feel like an ass for not knowing that lol!!