PDA

View Full Version : Who was first with their subscription based wealth extraction mechanism?

Th'Pusher
07-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Sarah Palin with sarahpalinchannel.com.

Glenn Beck with theblazetv.com

Ron Paul with ronpaulchannel.com

seriously. What kind of god forsaken morons pay $10 a month for this shit?

Wild Cobra
07-29-2014, 11:17 PM
You claim to have all the answers.

You don't know?

Wild Cobra
07-29-2014, 11:32 PM
People pay for this:

http://www.thomhartmann.com/node/4068

Jacob1983
07-30-2014, 12:45 AM
People that pay for that shit are the same people that pay to read insider articles on ESPN.com.

SnakeBoy
07-30-2014, 01:54 AM
I think Beck claims to be the groundbreaker but really Rush was doing subscription only content long before all of them. I don't know about Ron Paul but wouldn't include him since he's not a commentator/entertainer, although as a politician he has been milking money out of idiots longer than all of them.

Winehole23
07-30-2014, 03:44 AM
magazines and newspapers?

Winehole23
07-30-2014, 03:45 AM
(dating myself)

Winehole23
07-30-2014, 03:49 AM
the subscription model of wealth extraction ain't new. not by a long shot.

TeyshaBlue
07-30-2014, 06:01 AM

lol

TeyshaBlue
07-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Outrage! :lol

boutons_deux
07-30-2014, 06:38 AM
"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"

... and the Repug circus of 3-ring bullshit is a perfect sucker bait (and switch).

pgardn
07-30-2014, 07:08 AM

They usually don't feature one individual.

The TV News has become person based, Anderson Cooper 570*

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 07:44 AM
It's just interesting to me that one side of the political spectrum seems to be more suseptable to this particular form of wealth extraction.

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 07:47 AM
$10 a month for rabble rousing and full throated confirmation bias.

DarrinS
07-30-2014, 10:09 AM
OP seems very distressed by this naked display of capitalism.

CosmicCowboy
07-30-2014, 10:12 AM
It's just interesting to me that one side of the political spectrum seems to be more suseptable to this particular form of wealth extraction.

You can get your preferred information here for free with Boutons.

TheSanityAnnex
07-30-2014, 10:21 AM
capitalism tugging on OP's emotions

Wild Cobra
07-30-2014, 10:32 AM
capitalism tugging on OP's emotions

Maybe the OP doesn't believe in capitalism.

DarrinS
07-30-2014, 10:37 AM
You can get your preferred information here for free with Boutons.

Ok, I laughed.

Winehole23
07-30-2014, 10:46 AM

The TV News has become person based, Anderson Cooper 570*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUJpec6Bdc

Clipper Nation
07-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Sarah Palin with sarahpalinchannel.com.

Glenn Beck with theblazetv.com

Ron Paul with ronpaulchannel.com

seriously. What kind of god forsaken morons pay $10 a month for this shit?
You're sounding really emotional about this :lol

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Not emotional, outraged or distressed in the least bit. Simply an observation on how certain people that generally are aligned with one side of the political spectrum are easily dipped out of they're $$$

DarrinS
07-30-2014, 12:24 PM
Not emotional, outraged or distressed in the least bit. Simply an observation on how certain people that generally are aligned with one side of the political spectrum are easily dipped out of they're $$$

Which side is shelling out $75K a pop to hear the vast life experiences of Chelsea Clinton?

DarrinS
07-30-2014, 12:25 PM
And Al Gore is worth $200 million for some reason. Lol, dipped. Did you mean "duped"?

Drachen
07-30-2014, 12:27 PM

The TV News has become person based, Anderson Cooper 570*

Are the extra degrees for a reach around?

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Which side is shelling out $75K a pop to hear the vast life experiences of Chelsea Clinton?

Wealthy people. Now contrast that with the people who are subscribing to sarahpalin channel.com

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
And Al Gore is worth $200 million for some reason. Lol, dipped. Did you mean "duped"?

Yes. Meant duped. On my phone

boutons_deux
07-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Stephen Colbert looks at the Sarah Palin Channel (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/07/30/1317722/-Stephen-Colbert-looks-at-the-Sarah-Palin-Channel)

http://images.dailykos.com/images/97353/large/SarahPalinChannel-McCain.jpg

I have always been a huge fan of Sarah Palin. She's a strong leader with a proven history of selflessness. I mean, in the midst of her 2008 campaign, she took the time to help out a struggling senior with severely impaired judgment. (audience laughter)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/07/30/1317722/-Stephen-Colbert-looks-at-the-Sarah-Palin-Channel?detail=email#

TeyshaBlue
07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes. Meant duped. On my phone

My phone dupes me constantly. :lol

FuzzyLumpkins
07-30-2014, 03:44 PM
In American history, the partisan rag dates back from the very beginning with the Federalist Papers, AntiFederalist papers and a litany of pamphlets and such like the famous Common Sense. There were equivalents for the royals and the like as well.

In the 19th century urban sprawls, for the barely literate mouthbreathers think Gangs of New York, each city had presses that were part of the local political machines. Fox News and the like are just an extension of a long standing US tradition.s

Clipper Nation
07-30-2014, 07:44 PM
Now you're getting emotional about being emotional :lol

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 07:51 PM

That doesn't even make sense, but it's clear you're affected by my observation that you allow your volatile emotions drive your decision making.

TheSanityAnnex
07-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Your observations* were clearly the need for this thread.

*emotions

TheSanityAnnex
07-30-2014, 08:09 PM
:cry observations :cry

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Your observations* were clearly the need for this thread.

*emotions

Explain how it's an emotional act to point out that right wingers are easily duped for paid content subscription services that do nothing but provide confirmation bias and rabble rousing.

You and CN can try your best to paint me as the hyper emo, but it's apparent to anyone who reads this thread, it was not driven by emotion...this particular thread was meant to deride CN's hero Ron Paul as the for profit rabble rouser he is, no different than the likes of Glenn Beck and Sara Palin.

TheSanityAnnex
07-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Explain how it's an emotional act to point out that right wingers are easily duped for paid content subscription services that do nothing but provide confirmation bias and rabble rousing.

You and CN can try your best to paint me as the hyper emo, but it's apparent to anyone who reads this thread, it was not driven by emotion...this particular thread was meant to deride CN's hero Ron Paul as the for profit rabble rouser he is, no different than the likes of Glenn Beck and Sara Palin.

Your emotions were fueled by your need to point out Ron Paul's profit rabble rousing are what caused the creation of this thread. You're emotional, nothing wrong with that.

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Your emotions were fueled by your need to point out Ron Paul's profit rabble rousing are what caused the creation of this thread. You're emotional, nothing wrong with that.
I'm gonna start calling you stretch.

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Back on topic... CN, how's that ronpaulchannel.com subscription? Would you consider it a value?

DarrinS
07-30-2014, 10:02 PM

Are the pockets of Al Gore lined with right wing dupes?

Th'Pusher
07-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Does Al Gore have a subscription paywall in front of his content? I honestly don't know, but I do know, this phenomenon is much more prevalent on the right. Particularly around an individual...

pgardn
07-30-2014, 10:15 PM

For me getting dizzy.

The "news" as personality based... Seems people want to be entertained v. Informed.

pgardn
07-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Although I must admit I am entertained by John Stewart's comments on news related items. Maybe Rush Limbaugh makes some people laugh, but I don't necessarily think that's what he's after.

TheSanityAnnex
07-30-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm gonna start calling you stretch.
Call me what you want I won't get emotional.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Call me what you want I won't get emotional.

Your attempt at diversion shows the lie in that. We can all see it and while its a typical shitty tactic from you, it does not make it an effective one.

Now go turn the car on, close the garage door and take a nap in the backseat.

TheSanityAnnex
07-30-2014, 11:22 PM
Your attempt at diversion shows the lie in that. We can all see it and while its a typical shitty tactic from you, it does not make it an effective one.

Now go turn the car on, close the garage door and take a nap in the backseat.Also an emotional post, but as the resident homosexual you get a pass.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-30-2014, 11:35 PM
Also an emotional post, but as the resident homosexual you get a pass.

Stoicism is for people that lose all the time. It started from a minority during Roman times.

I am more than comfortable indicating that i feel a strong visceral level of contempt and disrespect for you.

What sad is people that are obviously emotionally invested but bluster like a teenager that they do not care. That is the way of the true coward.

pgardn
07-31-2014, 06:23 AM

And point well taken.

Clipper Nation
07-31-2014, 07:09 AM
Back on topic... CN, how's that ronpaulchannel.com subscription? Would you consider it a value?
I don't subscribe to it, though it's hilarious how emotional it's making you :lol

Drachen
07-31-2014, 08:12 AM
And point well taken.
Lol!

slightly related to the OP, I heard an interview with Dinesh D'Souza on NPR last night and that guy just flat out scares me. The shit that comes out of his mouth is fucked up. I can't believe that he has the amount of power that he has.

boutons_deux
07-31-2014, 08:31 AM
Lol!

slightly related to the OP, I heard an interview with Dinesh D'Souza on NPR last night and that guy just flat out scares me. The shit that comes out of his mouth is fucked up. I can't believe that he has the amount of power that he has.

He's the macaca version of Palin.

Th'Pusher
07-31-2014, 08:34 AM
I don't subscribe to it, though it's hilarious how emotional it's making you :lol

Oh no. That doesn't bode well for Dr Paul. Even his most ardent ravenous supporters aren't willing to shell out the subscription fee. At what price would you subscribe?

TeyshaBlue
07-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Really, the whole OP can be reduced to two words:

Because conservatives.

Th'Pusher
07-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Really, the whole OP can be reduced to two words:

Because conservatives.
I think there is something to be said for the industry that's popped up to rile up the conservative rabble and satisfy the insatiable demand for confirmation bias. Sure, it exists on the left, but not to the same extent. Look at Fox News' ratings vs msnbc. Look at am talk radio. This goes to the core of the issue. These outlets play on the emotions of their subscribers and conservative outlets blow away liberal outlets by a fucking mile.

Wild Cobra
07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
LOL...

Focus on the conservatives like the lemmings with blinders you guys are.

What about the link in post #3?

Th'Pusher
07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
LOL...

Focus on the conservatives like the lemmings with blinders you guys are.

What about the link in post #3?
I conceded there are examples on the left. They're dwarfed when compared to examples on the right.

TheSanityAnnex
07-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Stoicism is for people that lose all the time. It started from a minority during Roman times.

I am more than comfortable indicating that i feel a strong visceral level of contempt and disrespect for you.

What sad is people that are obviously emotionally invested but bluster like a teenager that they do not care. That is the way of the true coward.
L O Fucking L

You caught some feelings on a message board. It really is sad how emotionally invested and thin skinned you are.

elbamba
07-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Wealthy people. Now contrast that with the people who are subscribing to sarahpalin channel.com

That seems a bit presumptuous. Do you know the economical standing of subscribers to Palin's channel or are you just presuming that everyone that subscribes is poor? My guess would be that there are a lot of middle class subscribers. That seems to be the people that I know that for whatever reason buy the crap she sells.

TeyshaBlue
07-31-2014, 01:02 PM
I think there is something to be said for the industry that's popped up to rile up the conservative rabble and satisfy the insatiable demand for confirmation bias. Sure, it exists on the left, but not to the same extent. Look at Fox News' ratings vs msnbc. Look at am talk radio. This goes to the core of the issue. These outlets play on the emotions of their subscribers and conservative outlets blow away liberal outlets by a fucking mile.

Im not sure you have any data to back this up unless you are refering to traditional broadcast media. It's not the 800 lb gorilla it once was.
I think an interesting study would be the reach of the new media/Internet.

boutons_deux
07-31-2014, 03:12 PM
much more sinister, many $100Bs bigger is the financial sector with shit like this

Banks rake in overdraft fees on small debit card purchases, CFPB finds

the bureau found that the majority of debit card transactions that led to overdraft fees were for purchases of $24 or less.

And the majority of overdrafts were resolved within three days, with the consumer depositing enough money into the account to return to a positive balance.

"The result is that some consumers are essentially paying $34 -- which is the typical overdraft fee -- to have the bank spot them less than $24 for just a few days," Cordray said.

"If a consumer were to get a loan on those terms, that would equate to an annual percentage rate of over 17,000%," he said.

About 14.3% of checking account holders in the bureau study opted for overdraft protection.

Those customers ended up paying significantly more for their checking accounts than those who do not get the protection,

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bank-overdraft-fee-consumer-bureau-20140731-story.html

TeyshaBlue
07-31-2014, 03:59 PM
lol wut?

FuzzyLumpkins
07-31-2014, 07:08 PM
L O Fucking L

You caught some feelings on a message board. It really is sad how emotionally invested and thin skinned you are.

Getting an emotional response is not the same as not being able to control your emotions. You lack subtlety and are about as nuanced as plain white paper so I am not surprised your lack of understanding though.

What sad is how you derive pleasure out of what you perceive as others being upset. Schadenfreude is for emotional cripples.

TheSanityAnnex
07-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Getting an emotional response is not the same as not being able to control your emotions. You lack subtlety and are about as nuanced as plain white paper so I am not surprised your lack of understanding though.

What sad is how you derive pleasure out of what you perceive as others being upset. Schadenfreude is for emotional cripples.
:cry wite papr fozy pls :cry sprustok is srs biznas :cry

Wild Cobra
07-31-2014, 10:48 PM
I conceded there are examples on the left. They're dwarfed when compared to examples on the right.
Makes sense since half the left if voting in people to redistribute the right's money to them.

boutons_deux
07-31-2014, 11:05 PM
$30B wealth extraction every year, which is the only way many banks make ANY profit.

Banks Face Hit From CFPB on $30 Billion in Overdraft Fees

The $30 billion banks collect in overdraft fees each year may shrink as the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau imposes rules aimed at shielding customers from harm.

The agency, which issued a study on the fees today, is also weighing regulations to improve consumer awareness of overdraft costs and restrict how banks can debit transactions and impose fees, according to a senior agency official.

“Despite recent regulatory and industry changes, overdrafts continue to impose heavy costs on consumers who have low account balances and no cushion for error,” Richard Cordray, the bureau’s director, said in an e-mailed statement about the report. “Overdraft fees should not be ‘gotchas’ when people use their debit cards.”
The potential regulations are a response to the study released today -- following up on an earlier one released last year -- documenting practices the CFPB says harms consumers. The agency official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, briefed reporters on the possible regulations in advance of the document’s release.

Citing the report, Cordray said at the same briefing that “in lending terms,” a person who swiped a debit card, overdrew a checking account by $24, and covered it with a deposit three days later would pay a median overdraft fee of $34. That’s the equivalent of loan with an annual rate of 17,000 percent, Cordray said.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-07-31/banks-face-hit-on-30-billion-in-overdraft-fees-from-cfpb-rules

$10/month to pitbull bitch is "wealth extraction" :lol

Wild Cobra
07-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Maybe people should just stop overdrafting their account...