PDA

View Full Version : Quick Roster Spots Question

swaggerjackson
07-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Why is everyone talking about how to improve the roster? Don't we already have 15 guys under contract for next season?

Splitter/Ayres/Baynes
Duncan/Diaw/Bonner
Leonard/Ginobili/Daye/Anderson
Green/Bellineli
Parker/Mills/Joseph

(And Bryce Cotton is on an unguaranteed contract so I excluded him)

What am I missing? Thanks

ChumpDumper
07-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Baynes isn't currently signed and Daye and Ayres have relatively expendable deals if the right player comes along.

bluebellmaniac
07-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Why is everyone talking about how to improve the roster? Don't we already have 15 guys under contract for next season?

Splitter/Ayres/Baynes
Duncan/Diaw/Bonner
Leonard/Ginobili/Daye/Anderson
Green/Bellineli
Parker/Mills/Joseph

(And Bryce Cotton is on an unguaranteed contract so I excluded him)

What am I missing? Thanks

This is SpursTalk, where the 15th player on the bench is usually hailed as "The Savior" of the franchise and expected to play as the next all-star. At a minimum, they should be good enough to be a starter on any other team. The chant is next about why that 15th player is not getting more minutes and playing time. There will be posts about how Coach Pop can't recognize talent and should obviously be playing the new guy more minutes than the current backup at the position. Then, when they finally do get a chance to play some decent minutes over a few games and they are not averaging 20pt, 10 reb and 6 assists, then they are the worst piece of crap to ever step onto a hardwood floor and should be traded immediately.

It's a trend you see over and over again on this forum. In no way should you be tricked into thinking that this is what the average fan believes. On the contrary. Many opinions on this forum are counter to what the majority of fans actual feel.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-30-2014, 08:12 PM
This is SpursTalk, where the 15th player on the bench is usually hailed as "The Savior" of the franchise and expected to play as the next all-star. At a minimum, they should be good enough to be a starter on any other team. The chant is next about why that 15th player is not getting more minutes and playing time. There will be posts about how Coach Pop can't recognize talent and should obviously be playing the new guy more minutes than the current backup at the position. Then, when they finally do get a chance to play some decent minutes over a few games and they are not averaging 20pt, 10 reb and 6 assists, then they are the worst piece of crap to ever step onto a hardwood floor and should be traded immediately.

It's a trend you see over and over again on this forum. In no way should you be tricked into thinking that this is what the average fan believes. On the contrary. Many opinions on this forum are counter to what the majority of fans actual feel.

"LJC and Bertans" lol! for real though. and Chump nailed it as well.

swaggerjackson
07-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Baynes has to come back. No way we find a better fourth/fifth big for less than what he will make. Plus I think he is young enough to be in the Spurs long term plans. He could serve as a solid backup for years to come. And while every one is searching for Kawhi's backup, I think they are overlooking Daye. I would love to add Marion, but Daye really showed me something towards the end of last season. He stretches the floor, moves the ball well, and even has the ability to create for others. I'm actually looking for him to come into his own as a Spur the is season. I am optimistic that he carves out some minutes after going through a complete training camp.

But thanks. I just assumed these are guys were coming back.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2014, 08:56 PM
1. Because it's the offseason and there's nothing else to talk about other than a pipedream of the San Antonio Raiders.

2. Because Austin Daye and/or Jeff Ayres are possibly expendable for the right player(s), though the fact that he's still not signed indicates Baynes might be the casualty of any acquisitions.

3. Because Tiago Splitter was the last guy off the bench at one time and sort of turned out to be a decent starter.

4. Because Danny Green was a guy nobody wanted at one time and sort of turned out to be a decent starter.

5. Because Patty Mills was a guy nobody wanted at one time and sort of turned out to be a valuable contributor.

Obstructed_View
07-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Baynes has to come back. No way we find a better fourth/fifth big for less than what he will make. Plus I think he is young enough to be in the Spurs long term plans. He could serve as a solid backup for years to come.

I was surprised to find that he's not that young. There was an article on PTR about him. I think the Spurs are going to expect him to be ready to contribute this year in camp if he wants to stick around.

DrunkTXLabrat
07-30-2014, 09:08 PM
The saddest thing about Baynes is he is one of Pops stepchildren. For whatever reason... Pop would rather bring in Ayers and indulge him or that assistant that loves him. Pop would really rather get him some more Bonner minutes, he must be losing his mind watching Matty sit so much. Baynes re-signed and Ayers traded/cut should have been done deals before the draft. I don't know if it's Pop or RC, but somebody in the spurs is only 99% perfect.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2014, 09:57 PM
1. Because it's the offseason and there's nothing else to talk about other than a pipedream of the San Antonio Raiders.

2. Because Austin Daye and/or Jeff Ayres should be expendable for the right player(s), though the fact that he's still not signed indicates Baynes might be the casualty of any acquisitions.

3. Because Tiago Splitter was the last guy off the bench at one time and sort of turned out to be a very strong starter against big teams and mostly irrelevant against small ones.

4. Because Danny Green was a guy nobody wanted at one time and sort of turned out to be a valuable 3-and-D starter.

5. Because Patty Mills was a guy nobody wanted at one time and sort of turned out to be a valuable contributor.

Mostly :tu... FIFY. ;)

xmas1997
07-30-2014, 10:22 PM

2. Because Austin Daye and/or Jeff Ayres are possibly expendable for the right player(s), though the fact that he's still not signed indicates Baynes might be the casualty of any acquisitions.

3. Because Tiago Splitter was the last guy off the bench at one time and sort of turned out to be a decent starter.

4. Because Danny Green was a guy nobody wanted at one time and sort of turned out to be a decent starter.

As much as I would like it to happen, I have to admit that the Raiders in S.A. is most likely a pipe dream.

Galileo
07-30-2014, 10:31 PM

:lmao

Galileo
07-30-2014, 10:33 PM
The San Antonio Admirals....

Obstructed_View
07-31-2014, 01:42 AM
Mostly :tu... FIFY. ;)

3. Because Tiago Splitter was the last guy off the bench at one time and sort of turned out to be the only reason the Spurs made it out of the first round this year.