PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bands

Avante
07-31-2014, 07:46 PM
This is about "historically" great rock and roll bands. Key word....band. So acts like Rod Stewart, Bob Dylan, David Bowie...nope! I'm alse excluding the big three....The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. I'm curious about the top 10 with those three taking 123 (can debate placing)

I'm going to do this using 20 band brackets. Who wins that bracket?

A

The Band
Black Oak Arkansas
Pink Floyd
Santana
Motley Crue
Aerosmith
Vanilla Fudge
Bob Seegar and the Silver Bullet Band
INXS
R.E.M
The Allman Brothers
Them
Jethro Tull
Robin Trower
CCR
BTO
Bad Company
Police
Red Hot Chillie Peppers

B

The Eagles
Crosby, Stills & Nash
Little Feat
The Steve Miller Band
Iron Butterfly
The Clash
Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention
Kansas
Country Joe & The Fish
Marshall Tucker Band
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Deep Purple
Uriah Heep
Buffalo Springfield
Blind Faith
Grateful Dead
Kinks
U2
Steppenwolf
Thin Lizzy

C

ZZ Top
Cream
Traffic
Cheap Trick
Lynyrd Skynyrd
The Moody Blues
Black Sabbath
The Who
Yardbirds
Velvet Underground
The Beach Boys
Nirvana
Grand Funk Railroad
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Abba
The Ramones
AC/DC
Queen
The Sex Pistols
Foreigner

D

Chicago
Dire Straits
The Animals
Zombies
Van Halen
Styx
Rush
Twisted Sister
Canned Heat
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company
The Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
The Byrds
Def Leppard
Fleetwood Mac
Slade
Steely Dan
Stone Roses
Metalica

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 07:48 PM
This is a question I could never answer in a million years, too many good ones, and for different reasons.

johnsmith
07-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Bump

Avante
07-31-2014, 07:52 PM
This is a question I could never answer in a million years, too many good ones, and for different reasons.

I hear ya, music really is a mood thing, hell, there is actually a time/place for Bach/Beethovan/Strauss/Liszt.

I do think I can get a top 10 however.

Avante
07-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Bump

So who do ya like?

johnsmith
07-31-2014, 07:53 PM
So who do ya like?

From which thread?

Avante
07-31-2014, 07:57 PM
From which thread?

In case ya haven't noticed amigo, people come and go on these forums....honest.

So who do you like?

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 07:58 PM
I hear ya, music really is a mood thing, hell, there is actually a time/place for Bach/Beethovan/Strauss/Liszt.

I do think I can get a top 10 however.

I echo your sentiment about classical music.

Opera, rap, disco, headbanger, and hiphop don't do anything for me though. I'd just as soon go bang a hammer on my head than listen to that. :lol

Clipper Nation
07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Lil B > all of those bands

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
I echo your sentiment about classical music.

Opera, rap, disco, headbanger, and hiphop don't do anything for me though. I'd just as soon go bang a hammer on my head than listen to that. :lol

Then thing about hip hop, rap and headbanger is that it doesn't stay with you. It's all about a particular age, once you mature past that age there goes the music. It doesn't stay with you.

I give up trying to figure out opera.

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:02 PM

Which tells us all we need to know about you.

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
From which thread?

You actually took the time to........wow, dude you really are a giant prick.

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 08:07 PM

Oh

my

God

Are you for real?
Oh wait, you really meant to use blue font.

leemajors
07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Then thing about hip hop, rap and headbanger is that it doesn't stay with you. It's all about a particular age, once you mature past that age there goes the music. It doesn't stay with you.

I give up trying to figure out opera.

I've been listening to hip hop for 30 years, you couldn't be more wrong.

Clipper Nation
07-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Which tells us all we need to know about you.

....that I have a superior taste in music to you.

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Oh

my

God

Are you for real?
Oh wait, you really meant to use blue font.

The thing with CN is that he was raised by stupid parents. Neither took any time with the boy and it's obvious. He has no class and is dumb. But.....can we actually blame him? Is it his fault? It's real obvious the boy simply doesn't know how to act. I 've decided to give up on stomping around on the little freak, he needs someone to understand his situation.

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
....that I have a superior taste in music to you.

Yes my little friend, you have a superior taste in music to everyone. Nobody compares to Lil....ah..who?

Clipper Nation
07-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes my little friend, you have a superior taste in music to everyone.

/thread

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:15 PM

Dude, it isn't real obvious I'm talking about %'s here? I listen to blues from 1922, what %'s of music listeners do that?

Huey Freeman
07-31-2014, 08:29 PM

:lol I'm not to familiar with any of the bands listed in the OP, but I know for a fact Lil B isn't ">" to anyone them

Avante
07-31-2014, 08:31 PM
:lol I'm not to familiar with any of the bands listed in the OP, but I know for a fact Lil B isn't ">" to anyone them

I didn't have the heart to tell CN that this was about "HISTORICALLY" good rock bands. How old is Lil B? I also doubt...rock...would fit.

Poor CN, so stupid it's actually cute.

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 08:43 PM

Hiphop has been around that long?
Don't you mean soul?

leemajors
07-31-2014, 08:45 PM

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Soul is great.

Avante
07-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Hiphop has been around that long?
Don't you mean soul?

You can trace it's roots back to the 70's, but it was in the 80's when it really picked up steam.

Avante
07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Soul is great.

Yes it is and as ya know there is a time/place when it has to be Al Green, James Brown, Otis Redding.

xmas1997
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
You can trace it's roots back to the 70's, but it was in the 80's when it really picked up steam.

I thought disco ruled the 80s, that is when it was easier to just turn off the radio and go outside and mow the lawn.

Avante
07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
I thought disco ruled the 80s, that is when it was easier to just turn off the radio and go outside and mow the lawn.

Gotta disagree with that one, I love to dance and there was never a better time for that than the disco era.

Love this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vj092UgKwQ

ohmwrecker
07-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Yes it is and as ya know there is a time/place when it has to be Al Green, James Brown, Otis Redding.

Really diggin' deep there ain'tcha, bud

Avante
07-31-2014, 09:27 PM
Really diggin' deep there ain'tcha, bud

Dude, do you ever actually do anything? So tell me slick who wins the brackets?

I could have listed, Marvin Gay, Sam Cooke, Curtis Mayfield, Howard Hewrett, Luthor Vandross, Teddy Pendergrass, but why?

You remind me of some old man who is always.....well I used to...and...I coulda...and...I oughta...while doing....Z-ROW!

ohmwrecker
07-31-2014, 09:34 PM
So tell me slick who wins the brackets?

The Kinks

Avante
07-31-2014, 09:49 PM
The Kinks

Whoa whoa whoa....now slow down half pint ya don't wanna tire yourself out. Great job ....The Kinks. Now rest up and try another bracket tomorrow, ya don't wanna shoot your wad all at once.

Old folks on computers, not good.

Avante
07-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Let me add another Bracket, since I'd forgotten some.

D

The Doobie Brothers
Pablo Cruise
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
Wet Willie
Mountain
Redbone
The Amazing Rhtyhm Aces
Looking Glass
Climax Blues Band
The Searchers
Manfred Mann
Tommy James and the Shondells
Herman's Hermits
Three Dog Night
Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
Iggy Pop and The Stooges
Small Faces
Quiet Riot
The Grass Roots
Toto

RD2191
07-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Geez, those are all kick ass bands.

ohmwrecker
07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
Whoa whoa whoa....now slow down half pint ya don't wanna tire yourself out. Great job ....The Kinks. Now rest up and try another bracket tomorrow, ya don't wanna shoot your wad all at once.

I've concluded that The Kinks have won the battle of the bands. Would you like to make another thread?

Avante
07-31-2014, 11:00 PM
I've concluded that The Kinks have won the battle of the bands. Would you like to make another thread?

Why not actually try reading what I said, ok?

Pay attention...

I'm looking for the top 10.

The Kinks......ok what about them?

Dude, you're a mess.

silverblk mystix
07-31-2014, 11:12 PM

:rollin:rollin

cantthinkofanything
07-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Where is LA Guns?

Avante
07-31-2014, 11:32 PM
:rollin:rollin

Bro, ever notice the cat runs his mouth but never delivers the goods? Fucker is lazy.

Avante
07-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Where is LA Guns?

So you realy believe LA Guns belong in this discussion?

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 01:22 AM
So you realy believe LA Guns belong in this discussion?

If we are talking top ten, then yes. Depending on which bracket they are in.

Avante
08-01-2014, 01:35 AM
You really see them as an "historicaly" great band on a par with those mentioned?

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Bracket A:

Well i'm really, really partial to Bad Company... Rock and Roll Fantasy, Bad Company, Shooting Star, Movin' On, Feel Like Makin' Love, and others. But I just can't put them ahead of acts like Aerosmith or Pink Floyd... I'm more of a hard rock/metal fan in general, so I'll just say Aerosmith over Pink Floyd in a nailbiter. Ragdoll, Eat the Rich are too badass to pass up. I love Pink Floyd, but I had to choose somebody.

Aerosmith

Bracket B:

Easily the weakest bracket of the 4. I know they're older at this point, but I saw Steve Miller Band live recently and it was a terrible, uninspiring performance (at the Hollywood Bowl). To me this bracket comes down to the Eagles, Deep Purple, Kansas, and the Kinks. I'll go with the Kinks, even though I think Kansas is pretty underrated, people only remember them for about 2-3 songs even though they have a bunch of good stuff.

The Kinks

Group C:

Far and away the strongest bracket in the group... Queen, AC/DC, Cream, Cheap Trick, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, The Who, Foreigner, Grank Funk... This bracket is unfairly stacked in my opinion. Queen is my personal favorite, but I could easily make arguments for AC/DC or Black Sabbath as well. I'll eliminate Black Sabbath since Ozzy and Dio both had some of their best songs outside of Sabbath (even though Black Sabbath still had ridiculously great work like War Pigs, Sweet Leaf, Lady Evil). AC/DC is basically everything rock is supposed to be, but like I said before, I'm just a sucker for Queen.

Queen

Bracket D: Dire Straits, Styx, Rush, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Def Leppard, Metallica are the main candidates for me. I'm going with Rush. Unique sound, and basically the only band on this entire list where the bassist by himself is great to hear. Saw them live in 2010 and they were still amazing while in their 60's.

Rush

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 02:01 AM
That last bracket you posted is incredibly weak compared to the others.... most of those guys were basically 1, 2, or 3 hit wonders. I guess I'll go with SRV and Double Trouble, but they'll be promptly eliminated by any of my winners from the other brackets, and probably a good 20-25 other bands from those brackets, tbh

edit: fuck it, i seriously can't vote for SRV to win a bracket, so i'll insert a new band you didn't include, Triumph. One of my favorite bands ever, and they never really blew up outside of Canada. They'd smoke every band on that last list

So my winners of the 5 brackets are...

Aerosmith, The Kinks, Queen, Rush, Triumph

RD2191
08-01-2014, 02:02 AM
The Kinks
:lmao

RD2191
08-01-2014, 02:13 AM
A. Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band
B. Eagles
C. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
D. Dire Straits

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 02:18 AM
^i guess thats how i know i'm not from the midwest. i like the country flavor, but not THAT much :lol

RD2191
08-01-2014, 02:19 AM
:lolThose are my fav bands so my list is a bit biased.

Avante
08-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Bracket A:

Well i'm really, really partial to Bad Company... Rock and Roll Fantasy, Bad Company, Shooting Star, Movin' On, Feel Like Makin' Love, and others. But I just can't put them ahead of acts like Aerosmith or Pink Floyd... I'm more of a hard rock/metal fan in general, so I'll just say Aerosmith over Pink Floyd in a nailbiter. Ragdoll, Eat the Rich are too badass to pass up. I love Pink Floyd, but I had to choose somebody.

Aerosmith

Bracket B:

Easily the weakest bracket of the 4. I know they're older at this point, but I saw Steve Miller Band live recently and it was a terrible, uninspiring performance (at the Hollywood Bowl). To me this bracket comes down to the Eagles, Deep Purple, Kansas, and the Kinks. I'll go with the Kinks, even though I think Kansas is pretty underrated, people only remember them for about 2-3 songs even though they have a bunch of good stuff.

The Kinks

Group C:

Far and away the strongest bracket in the group... Queen, AC/DC, Cream, Cheap Trick, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Black Sabbath, The Who, Foreigner, Grank Funk... This bracket is unfairly stacked in my opinion. Queen is my personal favorite, but I could easily make arguments for AC/DC or Black Sabbath as well. I'll eliminate Black Sabbath since Ozzy and Dio both had some of their best songs outside of Sabbath (even though Black Sabbath still had ridiculously great work like War Pigs, Sweet Leaf, Lady Evil). AC/DC is basically everything rock is supposed to be, but like I said before, I'm just a sucker for Queen.

Queen

Bracket D: Dire Straits, Styx, Rush, Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Def Leppard, Metallica are the main candidates for me. I'm going with Rush. Unique sound, and basically the only band on this entire list where the bassist by himself is great to hear. Saw them live in 2010 and they were still amazing while in their 60's.

Rush

I don't wanna debate anyones musical opinion. This isn't about that. I will tally things up if I get enought interest.

As I mentioned my D was those I had forgotten, as we can see there was a reason for that?

Not at all familiae with Triumph which surprises me.

Avante
08-01-2014, 02:27 AM
B. Eagles
D. Dire Straits

We agreed on two of them.

ohmwrecker
08-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Why not actually try reading what I said, ok?

Pay attention...

I'm looking for the top 10.

The Kinks......ok what about them?

They won.

ohmwrecker
08-01-2014, 10:18 AM
B. Eagles
D. Dire Straits

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are one of my faves. There you go. You got a band out of me.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 10:20 AM
They won.

no...they lost to Fasterpussycat in the quarterfinals. The winner was Rolling Stones but with Steve Perry as lead vocalist and Kip Winger on bass.

gnsf0946
08-01-2014, 10:43 AM
No Iron Maiden??

I'm disappoint old man.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 10:48 AM
No Iron Maiden??

I'm disappoint old man.

they lost to Peanut the Kidnapper in the pre-bracket qualifying rounds. and as we know, Peanut the Kidnapper was then beat by the Eagles.

RD2191
08-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are one of my faves. There you go. You got a band out of me.
:toast

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
how did Tom Cruise/Stacee Jaxx not make the list :rollin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPeY1zD9CE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dedv6C907pI

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 11:00 AM
also where's bon jovi, guns n roses, boston...

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 01:35 PM
also where's bon jovi, guns n roses, boston...

speaking of...I was watching some metal award show and they gave Axl the Lifetime Achievement award. He said thanks and then jumped on stage to do Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise city with the new iteration of GnR except Duff McKagan and Izzy were playing also. Really weird. His vocals also sucked balls. I couldn't figure out how they got Duff and Izzy to play with the band being that the award was just for Axl.

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM
speaking of...I was watching some metal award show and they gave Axl the Lifetime Achievement award. He said thanks and then jumped on stage to do Welcome to the Jungle and Paradise city with the new iteration of GnR except Duff McKagan and Izzy were playing also. Really weird. His vocals also sucked balls. I couldn't figure out how they got Duff and Izzy to play with the band being that the award was just for Axl.
never thought they were good live... i recently saw journey with the midget filipino singer and they underwhelmed too

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM
How come Motorhead featuring Jani Lane wasn't included on the list.

http://assets.blabbermouth.net/media/janilanemotorhead_638.jpg

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 01:40 PM
never thought they were good live... i recently saw journey with the midget filipino singer and they underwhelmed too

you're right...even "back in the day", he never could duplicate his vocals on the recordings.

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 01:42 PM
you're right...even "back in the day", he never could duplicate his vocals on the recordings.
I saw Scorpions and Tesla live (wtf why weren't Scorpions on avante's list), and they were both amazing. Some bands even are better live than recording. Muse is that way too

Avante
08-01-2014, 01:55 PM
So who has their top 10? Fuck the original plan I had a feeling it was too complex.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
So who has their top 10? Fuck the original plan I had a feeling it was too complex.

LA Guns
Motorhead with Janie Lane
Captian Geech and the Shrimpshack Shooters
Poopshoost Magoo
Deep Purple
Night Ranger
Witches of Eastwick
Finger 11
Five Finger Deathpunch
The Eagles

mrsmaalox
08-01-2014, 02:00 PM
LA Guns
Motorhead with Janie Lane
Captian Geech and the Shrimpshack Shooters
Poopshoost Magoo
Deep Purple
Night Ranger
Witches of Eastwick
Finger 11
Five Finger Deathpunch
The Eagles

What about "Looking Glass"?! lol

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 02:04 PM
if we are ruling out the 3 you stated originally (only Led Zep would have cracked my list from those anyway)...

in no particular order:
Queen
Rush
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Triumph
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Black Sabbath (would also love to include Ozzy/Dio solo work)
Styx
Bad Company

honestly my "top 10" fluctuates based on my mood or what i've listened to recently :lol

Avante
08-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Keep in mind.."historically"...great.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 02:14 PM
What about "Looking Glass"?! lol

shit...now I've got to rerun all my brackets

Avante
08-01-2014, 02:15 PM
if we are ruling out the 3 you stated originally (only Led Zep would have cracked my list from those anyway)...

in no particular order:
Queen
Rush
AC/DC
Aerosmith
Pink Floyd
Triumph
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Black Sabbath (would also love to include Ozzy/Dio solo work)
Styx
Bad Company

honestly my "top 10" fluctuates based on my mood or what i've listened to recently :lol

Good list.

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Good list.
its all subjective, but yeah as you can see i'm mostly into 70's/80's metal/hard rock, which is why some also awesome bands like Tom Petty, Dire Straits aren't up there for me

Duncan2177
08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
No Kiss, Supertramp, Electric Light Orchestra, The Allman Brothers Band , Blue Oyster Cult, Yes, Paul McCartney & Wings, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins?

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 02:23 PM
done

Starland Vocal Band
Looking Glass
Daz Band
Gap Band
Banana Splits
Monkeys
Lenny & Squiggy
Sour Grapes
Bananarama
The Hex Girls

f5ezpBKEdAE

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 02:26 PM
No Kiss, Supertramp, Electric Light Orchestra, The Allman Brothers Band , Blue Oyster Cult, Yes, Paul McCartney & Wings, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins?
oh wow, surprised we missed all those :wow. they wouldnt have cracked my personal list but should have been in the OP.

Avante
08-01-2014, 07:16 PM
I guess I should have tried and list every single band that ever recored a record, but then I'd have...

BLEACH
Chronic Tendancies
Kolvane
Zuzu Petals
The Trash Can Sinatras

....and a few thousand others similiar.

The Jayhawks, The Silencers, The Why Store are all great but how many out there are aware of them?

I seriously doubt I don't have the top 10 bands listed.

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I guess I should have tried and list every single band that ever recored a record, but then I'd have...

BLEACH
Chronic Tendancies
Kolvane
Zuzu Petals
The Trash Can Sinatras

....and a few thousand others similiar.

The Jayhawks, The Silencers, The Why Store are all great but how many out there are aware of them?

I seriously doubt I don't have the top 10 bands listed.
you can't seriously confuse world famous acts like Kiss, Scorpions, Blue Oyster Cult, Wings, Bon Jovi, or Boston for obscure garage bands...

Avante
08-01-2014, 07:37 PM
you can't seriously confuse world famous acts like Kiss, Scorpions, Blue Oyster Cult, Wings, Bon Jovi, or Boston for obscure garage bands...

I agree, but when ya have...

The Big3
Pink Floyd
The Eagles
CCR
Aerosmith
The Animals
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Grateful Dead

...do we really need them?

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 07:39 PM
I agree, but when ya have...

The Big3
Pink Floyd
The Eagles
CCR
Aerosmith
The Animals
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Grateful Dead

...do we really need them?
probably not, but you listed over 100 bands

Avante
08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
probably not, but you listed over 100 bands

I could have listed over 5000, so somebody had to be left off.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 09:51 PM
I could have listed over 5000, so somebody had to be left off.

Let's see that list. Anyone complains, then they are a fag.

Avante
08-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Let's see that list. Anyone complains, then they are a fag.

How about 50 you've never heard of as just an example?

Nobody is reading 5000 names and I'm not typing that many.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 10:03 PM
How about 50 you've never heard of as just an example?

Nobody is reading 5000 names and I'm not typing that many.

Ok. Let's start with 50 that I've never heard of.

Avante
08-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Ok. Let's start with 50 that I've never heard of.

The Showmen
Moist
Low
Sons of Elvis
Plankeye
The Waiting
Raze
Clear
Sonicflood
Satellite Soul
Considering Lilly
Delirious
Reality Check
The Dingles
The W's
BLEACH
Kolvane
Skillet
The Echoing Green
Eli
Middlefinger
Vallejo
Mike Plume Band
Supersuckers
Cornelius
Manafest
Dizmas
The Sheppards
Lewis Lymon and The Teenchords
The Dentists
Clouds
The Larks
The Harptones
The Deep River Boys
Edna Swap
Spoken
The Five Red Caps
The Crests
Number One Gun
The Channels
Wilco
The Cadillacs
Robbie Seay Band
The Chordettes
Billy and The Essentials
Bracket
The Five Tinos
Boyd Bennett and The Rockets
The Artwoods
The Aquations
Don Lang and The Twisters
The Five Discs
The Concords
Billy Ward and The Diamonds
Young-Holt Unlimited
The Four Vagabonds
The Five Royales
Interpol
Guided By Voices
Switchfoot
Chasing Furies

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 10:37 PM
I know Interpol and everyone knows switchfoot

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Wilco and Switchfoot

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 10:42 PM
And I think Sonicflood and Moist. Unless maybe those are songs. Speaking of, that song, Low, was cool in the day.

Avante
08-01-2014, 10:44 PM
I know Interpol and everyone knows switchfoot

Ok, how about....

The Shells
The Playmates
The Heartbeats
The Five Satins
The Gaylords
The Viscounts
The Mystic Explosion
The Jarmels
The Jodimars

Avante
08-01-2014, 10:47 PM
The point is there have been tons and tons and tons of bands. I could rattle off a few dozen old jug/fiddle bands. How about the Skillet Lickers who once recorded......Run N..... Run

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 10:49 PM
I can play that game too. Salty Dog, Red Snow, Phox, Glass Animals, triumph, alcatrazz

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 10:52 PM
I can play that game too. Salty Dog, Red Snow, Phox, Glass Animals, triumph, alcatrazz

Triumph...badass.

Avante
08-01-2014, 11:00 PM

No not really. I;m on a whole other level here, trust me. That is unless you were chillin; with....Otis Williams and His Charms in 1960. Dude, there is a whole world of music out there you've never seen, trust me.

spurraider21
08-01-2014, 11:13 PM
:cry

Avante
08-01-2014, 11:20 PM
:cry

Just this morning I was listening to a tape I mixed featuring...

The Cat & Fiddle
The Five Breezes
Johnny Moore & His Three Blazes
The Chords
Victoria Spivey
The Crows
Doctor Clayton
Jazz Gillum
Washboard Sam
Georgia White
Bumble Bee Slim
St. Louis Jimmy
Big Bill Dotson
Jimmy Rushing
Champion Jack Dupree

Now how many of those are you familiar with?

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Just this morning I was listening to a tape I mixed featuring...

The Cat & Fiddle
The Five Breezes
Johnny Moore & His Three Blazes
The Chords
Victoria Spivey
The Crows
Doctor Clayton
Jazz Gillum
Washboard Sam
Georgia White
Bumble Bee Slim
St. Louis Jimmy
Big Bill Dotson
Jimmy Rushing
Champion Jack Dupree

Now how many of those are you familiar with?

Avante
08-01-2014, 11:29 PM

Ok man, way down in the alley, bottom of the bucket.

Freezone
Kid Cole
Papa Too Sweet
Biliken Johnson
Jaybird Coleman
Sparkplug Smith
Carolina Slim
Bull City Red
Slim Duckett
Uncle Bud Walter
Six Cylinder Smith
Bogus Ben Convington
Will Batts
Bertha Henderson
Mooch Richardson
Lewis Black
Sloppy Henry
Maggie Jones
Pigmeat Terry
Kid Brown
Bayless Rose
Otto Virgial
Mississippi Moaner
Joe Calicott
Geechie Wiley

Freezone recorded...one....song, Indian Squaw Blues. Nobody knows anything about him and why but one side, yep a total mystery. Bluesdom is full of shadowy figures like that.

cantthinkofanything
08-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Ok man, way down in the alley, bottom of the bucket.

Freezone
Kid Cole
Papa Too Sweet
Biliken Johnson
Jaybird Coleman
Sparkplug Smith
Carolina Slim
Bull City Red
Slim Duckett
Uncle Bud Walter
Six Cylinder Smith
Bogus Ben Convington
Will Batts
Bertha Henderson
Mooch Richardson
Lewis Black
Sloppy Henry
Maggie Jones
Pigmeat Terry
Kid Brown
Bayless Rose
Otto Virgial
Mississippi Moaner
Joe Calicott
Geechie Wiley

Avante
08-01-2014, 11:36 PM

1.....hmmm?

The Sparks Brothers
Alice Moore
George Carter
Boweavil Jackson
Edward Thompson
Clifford Gibson
Willie Baker
Willie Reed
Oscar Woods
Cryin' Sam Collins
Kid Bailey
Mississippi Bracey
Rube Lacy
Freddie Spruell
Garfield Akers
JD Short
Charley Jordan
Henry Townsend
Jellyroll Anderson
Bullet Williams
Ed Bell
Willie Harris
Papa Harvey Hull
Black Ivory King
Black Boy Shine
Robert Petway

Avante
08-01-2014, 11:54 PM
While talking music....

I shied away from Bluegrass for years, it was just TOO twangy. Then I bought a box of CD's at a thrft shop. One of the CD's was Rounders 25 Years of Bluegrass, I thought....what the hell. Talk about being way off on something, the talent these people have is amazing. Some amazing stuff!

johnsmith
12-02-2016, 11:59 PM
No?