PDA

View Full Version : 05' Manu vs 14' Kawhi in 1v1?

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-01-2014, 03:26 PM
Who would win?

cd021
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Manu.

SupremeGuy
08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Manu, easily.

DAF86
08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Unfair question, tbh.

admiralsnackbar
08-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Unfair question, tbh.

Manu.

mingus
08-01-2014, 03:57 PM
In a 1 v 1? Kawhi. Kawhi would just back Manu down in the block over and over like he does with most smaller defenders than him. Meanwhile Kawhi would make it harder on Manu defensively than Manu on him. That's not to say Manu wouldn't excel because I believe he would. Nobody 1 v 1 could contain him. But Manu gives up little to much size and length defensively.

Nobody mistake this for KL > Manu as complete basketball players on a team. In that case, '05 Manu was clearly superior.

8FOR!3
08-01-2014, 04:09 PM
In a 1 v 1? Kawhi. Kawhi would just back Manu down in the block over and over like he does with most smaller defenders than him. Meanwhile Kawhi would make it harder on Manu defensively than Manu on him. That's not to say Manu wouldn't excel because I believe he would. Nobody 1 v 1 could contain him. But Manu gives up little to much size and length defensively.

Nobody mistake this for KL > Manu as complete basketball players on a team. In that case, '05 Manu was clearly superior.

Eh I tend to disagree. I think a prime Ginobili would get some steals on Kawhi 1 on 1 in the post.

romain.star
08-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Manu

r0drig0lac
08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
lol

dabom
08-01-2014, 04:37 PM
Who would win?

Ok we get it. You're a manutard. Stop already.

TheGreatYacht
08-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Ok we get it. You're a manutard. Stop already.
Messi choking in the World Cup-esque bomb :tu

hater
08-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Kawhi is one of the greatest perimeter defenders in league history. This is almost like asking would Manu be able to beat Pippen in a 1-1. NEGATORY

Ghjkll
08-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Manu would win. People forget that he destroyed Prince back in 2005. At that time, Prince had a reputation of being a great perimeter defender. Let us remember Manu´s numbers those playoffs: 20.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.2 assts and 1.2 steals in 33 minutes. He shot 51 from the field and 44 from three. He had a TS of 652, an EFG of 580 and a PER of 25. Those are superstar numbers. With more minutes, around 37 or 38, he would have scored around 23-24 points with ease. He was possesed that year. He never came close to replicate that lever of play. We are talking about PEAK Manu Ginobili. The only SG´s that I saw play better than that version of him are Wade, Kobe and Mike. In the Olympics, he scored 29 points in 12 shots against USA, while being defended by Wade most of the time. Young wade, an elite athlete even by NBA standards. And while Leonard is a great and developing player, he is nowhere Scottie Pippen, please. He is stronger, yes, no doubt. But he is a weak ballhandler and Gino was great at getting steals. People tend to forget that Manu´s first step was amazing. He blew by every possible defender at that time, with Ron Artest being the only exception I can remember right now.

iManu
08-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Manu (unless Kawhi can develop handles and a devastating first step). Though Tony has handles and a devastating first step, you don't have to respect his 3. If Tony had a 3, he'd probably be a good match for Manu (offensively in a 1-on-1), but he's too little and his D is predictable (unlike Manu's).

urunobili
08-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Manu would win. People forget that he destroyed Prince back in 2005. At that time, Prince had a reputation of being a great perimeter defender. Let us remember Manu´s numbers those playoffs: 20.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 4.2 assts and 1.2 steals in 33 minutes. He shot 51 from the field and 44 from three. He had a TS of 652, an EFG of 580 and a PER of 25. Those are superstar numbers. With more minutes, around 37 or 38, he would have scored around 23-24 points with ease. He was possesed that year. He never came close to replicate that lever of play. We are talking about PEAK Manu Ginobili. The only SG´s that I saw play better than that version of him are Wade, Kobe and Mike. In the Olympics, he scored 29 points in 12 shots against USA, while being defended by Wade most of the time. Young wade, an elite athlete even by NBA standards. And while Leonard is a great and developing player, he is nowhere Scottie Pippen, please. He is stronger, yes, no doubt. But he is a weak ballhandler and Gino was great at getting steals. People tend to forget that Manu´s first step was amazing. He blew by every possible defender at that time, with Ron Artest being the only exception I can remember right now.

Can't be proven any better than this. Solid post :tu

SupremeGuy
08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
'05 Manu is just so much better of a dribbler than Kawhi and in a game of one on one, that's pretty important.

pgardn
08-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Manu

Way too much diversity in his game.
That Manu has a shot at beating anyone close to his size.
Kobe included.

pgardn
08-01-2014, 07:13 PM
That being said, so does Lance Stephenson.

howbouthemspurs
08-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Manu by far!! :lol

playbonner15
08-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Manu - coz Kawhi can't reach that left handed tear drop/hook shot

100%duncan
08-01-2014, 11:47 PM
wtf is with 1v1's that gives you a hard-on?

spursparker9
08-02-2014, 12:01 AM
Manu 2005

TheyCallMePro
08-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Manu could name the score.

lefty
08-02-2014, 12:43 AM
They both shit on TP

Mnky
08-02-2014, 12:43 AM

The goods tbh.

Sense
08-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Peak Manu was one of the best players in the NBA.. he was in his prime, and practically carried the Spurs to the title.

Kawhi hasn't even gotten close to his prime and while he was a key factor in some series these Spurs played more as a team and didn't have to depend on him at all until maybe the finals.

with that said.. unstoppable Manu would probably beat a still novice Leonard.

Malik Hairston
08-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Most people in this thread are judging this comparison strictly by the greatness of the player in a 5-on-5 team basketball setting, rather than a 1-on-1 game with minimal strategy involved..

Prime Manu >> current Leonard, but I'm not sure if he wins in a 1-on-1 game, especially considering Leonard was the #1 ranked post-up wing player in the league this past season IIRC..Kawhi's handles are mediocre for a perimeter player in a team basketball setting against help defenders and strategic defenses, but they would probably be fine in a 1-on-1 game..

apalisoc_9
08-02-2014, 02:17 AM
Most people in this thread are judging this comparison strictly by the greatness of the player in a 5-on-5 team basketball setting, rather than a 1-on-1 game with minimal strategy involved..

Prime Manu >> current Leonard, but I'm not sure if he wins in a 1-on-1 game, especially considering Leonard was the #1 ranked post-up wing player in the league this past season IIRC..Kawhi's handles are mediocre for a perimeter player in a team basketball setting against help defenders and strategic defenses, but they would probably be fine in a 1-on-1 game..

I really don't think some people here have player competitive 1 on 1 basketball before...

I got schooled 11-4 by a team mate of mine who rotted the bench back in HS..and i was one of the top 3 players in the team..

guy had enough handless to get to a a post up position..

and he had enough speed to defend my dribble..

That would happen in Kawhi vs Manu IMO

and the same thing with Manu vs..Parker IMO..

Obviously a legit 5 or a slow 4 would probably get wrecked..

Leetonidas
08-02-2014, 02:21 AM
I was leaning toward Kawhi in the one on one matchup because of his size/length and defensive abilities but then I remembered Ginobili destroyed a very elite Piston defense in the 2005 Finals pretty easily. So probably Manu, he had so many tricks up his sleeve and he was still pretty damn athletic. He'd probably be able pull some nasty crossovers on Kawhi.

apalisoc_9
08-02-2014, 02:24 AM
See what i mean about some of these dudes not playing competitive...

Trying crossovers in a heated 1 on 1 game....:lmao

Prime Time
08-02-2014, 03:56 AM
Manu was like James Harden with the awareness of MJ yet the humbleness of Tim Duncan. In 2005 he was in his absolute prime, so obviously he'd take this one.

But I'm looking forward to seeing Kawhi at 27..

gilmor
08-02-2014, 05:12 AM
How about this - 05 Manu vs 14 James; who will win?

hyhy
08-02-2014, 10:15 AM
How about this - 05 Manu vs 14 James; who will win?

who starts, who wins

mingus
08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Eh I tend to disagree. I think a prime Ginobili would get some steals on Kawhi 1 on 1 in the post.

Its harder to get steals in the post 1 v 1 because the post player need not worry about other 4 defenders and the spacing is open. Manu might get a steal, he might draw a charge/flop, I don't doubt that. But I think Kawhi would score one him easier than vice versa.

It's kind of an unfair comparison, like pitting a light weight vs a middle weight. Kawhi has at least two inches on Manu ( I don't know the measurements, just basing off what I see), and significantly more muscle mass, combined with the fact that Kawhi is actually a very a efficient post player especially against smaller players (an underrated aspect of his game partly because the Spurs don't feature it much).

Another thing is while Manu was a very good/elite scorer a big part of was his ability to use the P&R. His ability to pass always kept/keeps the defender(s) off balance and guessing. He was still a great 1v1 player, but the threat of his passing and reading defenses and reacting is what made/makes him special. In 1v1 scenario he'd still be great, but not great enough to score on and stop Leonard enough times.

Skull-1
08-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Unfair question, tbh.

Leonard is is a third year player still learning. 2005 Manu was equal to a ten-year vet in his prime. Unfair comparison.

Although Manu would probably lose because of turnovers. :lol (Seriously.)

I will go with Leonard because defense wins championships. He's taller, bigger, longer, just as fast if not faster, and can dunk over Manu, block Manu, and wear Manu down. He would also be younger by a few years.

Leonard is is a pest on defense. Manu would get trapped by those long arms and hands. There would be a lot of Leonard fast breaks after a steal.

ginobilized
08-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I honestly think Manu wins now or 2005
He's one of the toughest covers of the past 25 yrs in the NBA

Crafty, circus shots galore and very unpredictable.....those kind of players are tough in 1 on 1

apalisoc_9
08-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Its harder to get steals in the post 1 v 1 because the post player need not worry about other 4 defenders and the spacing is open. Manu might get a steal, he might draw a charge/flop, I don't doubt that. But I think Kawhi would score one him easier than vice versa.

It's kind of an unfair comparison, like pitting a light weight vs a middle weight. Kawhi has at least two inches on Manu ( I don't know the measurements, just basing off what I see), and significantly more muscle mass, combined with the fact that Kawhi is actually a very a efficient post player especially against smaller players (an underrated aspect of his game partly because the Spurs don't feature it much).

Another thing is while Manu was a very good/elite scorer a big part of was his ability to use the P&R. His ability to pass always kept/keeps the defender(s) off balance and guessing. He was still a great 1v1 player, but the threat of his passing and reading defenses and reacting is what made/makes him special. In 1v1 scenario he'd still be great, but not great enough to score on and stop Leonard enough times.

:tu

itzsoweezee
08-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Manu's offensive skills >>>>> Kawhi's defense

Skull-1
08-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Manu's offensive skills >>>>> Kawhi's defense

:lol

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-02-2014, 11:04 PM
:lol

Do you even 2005 bro?

Ginobili3
08-03-2014, 12:40 AM
Manu 05 <3

Spurs 4 The Win
08-03-2014, 12:57 AM
SHOCKER, ANOTHER 1V1 THREAD

Who would win in a one on one, 03' Gregg Popovich or August 14' Paul George? :lol

ElNono
08-03-2014, 01:33 AM
I really don't think some people here have player competitive 1 on 1 basketball before...

I got schooled 11-4 by a team mate of mine who rotted the bench back in HS..and i was one of the top 3 players in the team..

Well, now that you point that out, that certainly changes everything... :lol

cutewizard
08-03-2014, 03:44 AM
Manu

Way too much diversity in his game.
That Manu has a shot at beating anyone close to his size.
Kobe included.

wow!

me love my manu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hitmantb
08-03-2014, 01:15 PM

This.

People forgot 1v1 is not 5v5 and handles/steals/passing/positioning/court vision/leadership are far less valuable than strength/athleticism.

The only reason Spurs turned a 1-1 tie and a likely Utah Jazz 1998 scenario into three straight blow out's is because Kwahi was able to toe-to-toe LeBron next three games and cancel him out. No way current Kwahi would lose to 05 Manu in 1v1 with his gigantic hands and brute force.

Same reason David Robinson will most likely beat Tim Duncan in a pure 1v1 game.

Skull-1
08-03-2014, 01:44 PM
This.

People forgot 1v1 is not 5v5 and handles/steals/passing/positioning/court vision/leadership are far less valuable than strength/athleticism.

The only reason Spurs turned a 1-1 tie and a likely Utah Jazz 1998 scenario into three straight blow out's is because Kwahi was able to toe-to-toe LeBron next three games and cancel him out. No way current Kwahi would lose to 05 Manu in 1v1 with his gigantic hands and brute force.

Same reason David Robinson will most likely beat Tim Duncan in a pure 1v1 game.

Bingo.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-04-2014, 01:27 PM
14 feet of Leonard, by 9 feet or so.