PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio considered for Tesla Motor's new battery factory!

xmas1997
08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Just one of the cities, along with others in California, Arizona, and Nevada, are still being considered for the $5 billion electric car battery factory "even though" they have broken ground in Reno, Nevada according to KSAT-TV news today. The ground-breaking in Reno doesn't necessarily make Nevada the favorite to land the factory according to reports.

http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/texas/article/Tesla-says-decision-on-battery-factory-months-away-5660493.php

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20140731-nevada-groundbreaking-indicates-that-state-leads-texas-in-race-for-tesla-battery-factory.ece

silverblk mystix
08-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Just one of the cities, along with others in California, Arizona, and Nevada, are still being considered for the $5 billion electric car battery factory "even though" they have broken ground in Reno, Nevada according to KSAT-TV news today. The ground-breaking in Reno doesn't necessarily make Nevada the favorite to land the factory according to reports.

http://http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/texas/article/Tesla-says-decision-on-battery-factory-months-away-5660493.php

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/headlines/20140731-nevada-groundbreaking-indicates-that-state-leads-texas-in-race-for-tesla-battery-factory.ece

Don't see it happening but it would surely be nice - I would actually prefer for S.A. to get this than the Raiders!

Tesla might change the entire auto industry - if they don't crash and burn first - and there are a lot of people hoping they fail - to keep their $$$$golden egg.

baseline bum
08-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Texas doesn't deserve it with all the roadblocks they have thrown up to selling their cars here. I hope Tesla is just trolling Texas and builds in Nevada or California instead.

silverblk mystix
08-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Texas doesn't deserve it with all the roadblocks they have thrown up to selling their cars here. I hope Tesla is just trolling Texas and builds in Nevada or California instead.

Tesla?

It is the Auto dealers association that put all those roadblocks - because cars that don't need conventional engines, parts, gas, etc...would cut into their $$$$

Wild Cobra
08-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Tesla?

It is the Auto dealers association that put all those roadblocks - because cars that don't need conventional engines, parts, gas, etc...would cut into their $$$$
If the technology gets good enough, the traditional car can become history.

silverblk mystix
08-02-2014, 02:19 PM

This is what I hope for -

it would meet a looooot of opposition -

but imagine if it happened?

The oil people would not have us by the nutz!

Agloco
08-03-2014, 11:10 AM

It's already good enough, which is why Musk opened it for sharing. He realizes that Tesla needs more players on their side of the fence to continue pushing against the establishment.

Great move IMO. He's banking on the fact that Tesla will be able to continue to innovate and stay ahead of the newer players once they come aboard.

xmas1997
08-03-2014, 12:33 PM
I am curious, does anyone know why they call it Tesla Motors?
Is it because the batteries are one of Teslas' many inventions?
Or some other reason?

mouse
08-03-2014, 01:27 PM
Yeah!

more people with out of state license plates crowding our already crowded outdated freeways?

You think Tesla wants to hire someone who graduated from Fox Tech or went to Sac?

do the math esse...

Cry Havoc
08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Don't see it happening but it would surely be nice - I would actually prefer for S.A. to get this than the Raiders!

Tesla might change the entire auto industry - if they don't crash and burn first - and there are a lot of people hoping they fail - to keep their $$$$golden egg.

0 chance of that happening. They're so far ahead of the GM and Ford and even well ahead of BMW and the Japanese brands. Elon Musk knows what he's doing and isn't even scared, as evidenced by them giving their patents out.

Tesla's next car is rumored to be 35k. It would completely reshape the entire industry. The model s feels like sitting in the future.

mouse
08-03-2014, 02:48 PM
bTHsTCBxDM8

DMC
08-03-2014, 03:02 PM
I wish more people would drive these things, save all the dino fuels for me. I cannot see pulling a boat with a battery powered vehicle, but whatever makes a dent in the current demand could lower fuel prices.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I wish more people would drive these things, save all the dino fuels for me. I cannot see pulling a boat with a battery powered vehicle, but whatever makes a dent in the current demand could lower fuel prices.

Seriously? Electric motors make crazy amounts of torque and it's on a flat curve.

silverblk mystix
08-03-2014, 03:36 PM
0 chance of that happening. They're so far ahead of the GM and Ford and even well ahead of BMW and the Japanese brands. Elon Musk knows what he's doing and isn't even scared, as evidenced by them giving their patents out.

Tesla's next car is rumored to be 35k. It would completely reshape the entire industry. The model s feels like sitting in the future.

Agreed.

And I have heard of the 35k tesla and I would snap one up in a second if it has even a tiny bit of the mojo of S -

I have seen a few of the full size ones here and the car has tons of presence, mojo & swag -

It just looks right and appears to be made as solid as high end German cars.

xmas1997
08-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Where do you buy one in San Antonio?

DMC
08-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Seriously? Electric motors make crazy amounts of torque and it's on a flat curve.

Chassis is too light, not enough stopping power. They are designed to be efficient and they made concessions to get there. You don't get everything.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2014, 04:48 PM
Chassis is too light, not enough stopping power. They are designed to be efficient and they made concessions to get there. You don't get everything.

If a car is lighter than means they can stop faster as long as they have the necessary traction to do so.

Biernutz
08-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Or some other reason?

It was named for Nikola Tesla the inventor of AC electric power that you use at your home. He is one of Americas finest
unknown inventor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

DMC
08-03-2014, 07:45 PM
If a car is lighter than means they can stop faster as long as they have the necessary traction to do so.

The car isn't lighter if it has a 3500lb boat behind it. In order to get 85mpg equivalent, mechanical advantages were waived. Ignoring the fact that you cannot safely tow a decent sized boat with a light framed car anyhow, the power consumption to move and stop a boat on Texas hills and valleys would make the EV overly expensive compared to it's petro competitor. Until they release an SUV with the GVWR close to a sensible tow vehicle (8000lbs vs the 1K for the Tesla) that will continue to be the case. I don't see it ever happening. A diesel-electric hybrid would be sufficient, but the cost would make it undesirable except to be different and make a point. After said point is made, it would be impossible to sell.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2014, 07:59 PM
The car isn't lighter if it has a 3500lb boat behind it. In order to get 85mpg equivalent, mechanical advantages were waived. Ignoring the fact that you cannot safely tow a decent sized boat with a light framed car anyhow, the power consumption to move and stop a boat on Texas hills and valleys would make the EV overly expensive compared to it's petro competitor. Until they release an SUV with the GVWR close to a sensible tow vehicle (8000lbs vs the 1K for the Tesla) that will continue to be the case. I don't see it ever happening. A diesel-electric hybrid would be sufficient, but the cost would make it undesirable except to be different and make a point. After said point is made, it would be impossible to sell.

Agreed. What you're saying now is true. However, the tech is young and explosively developing. What isn't possible now, in a decade? Very well could be easy to accomplish.

DMC
08-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Agreed. What you're saying now is true. However, the tech is young and explosively developing. What isn't possible now, in a decade? Very well could be easy to accomplish.

In a decade I'll not need to tow. I'll just walk out of my house and get in the boat.

boutons_deux
08-04-2014, 03:29 PM
It's now down to NV and CA, with ground being cleared in NV.

illusioNtEk
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
dont worry, if they come here they will get an outsource company to hire workers for 8.50 an hour :lol

xmas1997
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Do you have the latest information that says something contrary to the article below?
If so, can you post a link?

Tesla Says Decision on Battery Factory Months Away
RENO, Nev. — Jul 31, 2014, 6:46 PM ET
By SCOTT SONNER and DEE-ANN DURBIN Associated Press
Associated Press

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/tesla-decision-battery-factory-months-24796575

Electric car maker Tesla Motors said Thursday that it is preparing a site near Reno, Nevada, as a possible location for its new battery factory, but is still evaluating other sites.

Tesla said it broke ground on the Nevada site in June. It said further that a final decision on the location for the $5 billion factory will be made in the next few months. Tesla has dubbed the proposed facility the "gigafactory," and says it could employ 6,500 people by 2020.

Competition for the factory is intense. California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas are also in the running. Tesla wants the factory to supply batteries for its Model 3 electric car, which is set to go on sale in 2017.

Hoover
08-04-2014, 05:47 PM
Why would they be wasting money on site prep if they weren't going to use it?

tlongII
08-04-2014, 06:36 PM
Or some other reason?

It's called Tesla because Tesla invented alternating current and it's an electric car.

xmas1997
08-04-2014, 06:40 PM
It's called Tesla because Tesla invented alternating current and it's an electric car.

I thought that might be the case.

So where does someone go in San Antonio to buy one?

Wild Cobra
08-04-2014, 10:07 PM
It's now down to NV and CA, with ground being cleared in NV.

CA will never get it. Too costly for new business starts. This is probably a game Tesla is playing.

Wild Cobra
08-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Why would they be wasting money on site prep if they weren't going to use it?
There could have been contract issues. hard to say.

Winehole23
04-24-2015, 01:44 PM
If the technology gets good enough, the traditional car can become history.if the technology gets good enough, the traditional power plant is in trouble.

“We are going to unveil the Tesla home battery, the consumer battery that would be for use in people’s houses or businesses fairly soon,” Musk said during an earnings conference call in February.http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-21/tesla-motors-to-unveil-home-and-utility-batteries-april-30

boutons_deux
04-26-2015, 07:36 AM
ViZn Energy Systems’ Zinc-Iron Flow Battery Commissioned at Randolph-Macon College as Part of Dominion Solar Project (http://www.altenergymag.com/news/2015/04/23/vizn-energy-systems%E2%80%99-zinc-iron-flow-battery-commissioned-at-randolph-macon-college-as-part-of-dominion-solar-project/19688)

http://www.altenergymag.com/news/2015/04/23/vizn-energy-systems%E2%80%99-zinc-iron-flow-battery-commissioned-at-randolph-macon-college-as-part-of-dominion-solar-project/19688

To charge the 10Ms of EVs, we're going to need huge increases in electrical generation and distribution. That's why red states blocking RETs and wind/solar initiatives to protect the retrograde vested interests is so destructive. Repugs, and their BigCorp paymasters, are the USA's greatest threat.

The inevitable (political,policy) failures of electrical generation and distribution to meet EV demand is why nearly all the BigCar companies are STILL running FCEV projects, where FC breakthroughs (like platinum-free FCs) are also inevitable, soorner rather than later.

Energy storage breakthroughs, grid scale and small scale, will be extremely disruptive, sooner rather than later.

UZER
04-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Yeah..just like free agents would "love to play for the spurs."

It's just leverage.

Mitch
04-26-2015, 07:02 PM
As a business man, I wouldn't want to bring my endeavors to that shit creak of a city.

The Reckoning
04-26-2015, 08:23 PM
As a business man, I wouldn't want to bring my endeavors to that shit creak of a city.

creek

Mitch
04-26-2015, 09:05 PM
creek

Danke, pleb.

The Reckoning
04-26-2015, 09:18 PM
bitte