PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Comfortis Flea Control

TheSanityAnnex
08-05-2014, 10:18 PM
If you have a canine that you care about, stop giving them this flea medication. After a year of wondering why my dog has been having seizures I've finally figured it out. Fuck you Comfortis.

DJR210
08-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Lawsuit?

xmas1997
08-05-2014, 10:26 PM
What about trifexis?

TheSanityAnnex
08-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Lawsuit?

Not going through the time and effort for that, it is still just a dog. I was googling "dog gets excited seizures" and noticed the word comfortis and a story about it. Next google "comfortis seizures" and found thousands of stories. It all made sense and was perfectly in line with when i started it. Doesn't affect my other dog but both are now on the fuck comfortis train.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Not going through the time and effort for that, it is still just a dog. I was googling "dog gets excited seizures" and noticed the word comfortis and a story about it. Next google "comfortis seizures" and found thousands of stories. It all made sense and was perfectly in line with when i started it. Doesn't affect my other dog but both are now on the fuck comfortis train.

What's the breed tbh?

TheSanityAnnex
08-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Fox Terrier tbh

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Fox Terrier tbh

we had a Sheltie when I was little and it had seizures and had to be put away. We got another one a year later and had the exact same issue. I don't think they are predisposed to seizures so wondering what the cause might have been. This was back in 80's/90's. Not sure what was being used for flea protection.

baseline bum
08-06-2014, 10:35 AM
I use comfortis on my dog because it's the only thing that works. None of the topicals have done shit for me, and I tried just using flea combs and my dog ended up getting a tapeworm from biting at fleas. I have heard these kind of reactions (and much worse) from basically everything on the market though. Trifexis is the one I have heard the worst complaints about; e.g., multiple stories where the dog dies a few hours after being given the pill. You can tell comfortis is some nasty shit from the way it smells though. Have you had any bloodwork done to rule out kidney problems? That can lead to seizures too.

xmas1997
08-06-2014, 10:47 AM
I have one dog on comfortis and heartguard, because he HAD heartworms, which cannot be given the same day because the dog will throw up.
The other four are on trifexis. The comfortis dog will be back on trifexis once he is 6 months clear.
The only problem I have had is getting them to take it, but they all work and there are no seizures from any of them.

TheSanityAnnex
08-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I use comfortis on my dog because it's the only thing that works. None of the topicals have done shit for me, and I tried just using flea combs and my dog ended up getting a tapeworm from biting at fleas. I have heard these kind of reactions (and much worse) from basically everything on the market though. Trifexis is the one I have heard the worst complaints about; e.g., multiple stories where the dog dies a few hours after being given the pill. You can tell comfortis is some nasty shit from the way it smells though. Have you had any bloodwork done to rule out kidney problems? That can lead to seizures too.

It works fine on my blue nose pit, but really jacked up the little one. I've stopped giving it to her and I'll see what happens over the next month or so. Not going to the vet anytime soon as I just spent a bit over 2,500 dollars in the last two months diagnosing and fixing the blue nose's skin allergies. Finally got that under control after numerous failed attempts at prescription food, injections at home everyday, blood tests, skin tests etc. Found out the main allergies were duck, potato, and oak tree. I've got four huge oaks in my backyard. Tried out a pill called Apoquel that solved it all for much cheaper, and a half pill works just as good as the prescribed 1 pill. Much better than shooting my dog up twice a day.

Back on topic...Fuck Comfortis.

baseline bum
08-06-2014, 11:21 AM
It works fine on my blue nose pit, but really jacked up the little one. I've stopped giving it to her and I'll see what happens over the next month or so. Not going to the vet anytime soon as I just spent a bit over 2,500 dollars in the last two months diagnosing and fixing the blue nose's skin allergies. Finally got that under control after numerous failed attempts at prescription food, injections at home everyday, blood tests, skin tests etc. Found out the main allergies were duck, potato, and oak tree. I've got four huge oaks in my backyard. Tried out a pill called Apoquel that solved it all for much cheaper, and a half pill works just as good as the prescribed 1 pill. Much better than shooting my dog up twice a day.

Back on topic...Fuck Comfortis.

One thing to be careful of with half doses though: sometimes the manufacturer will put the medicine in one little random spot to prevent you from splitting doses. For instance, the Heartgard chew can never be split because the drop of medicine is in some random place in the entire chew. So if you split it between two dogs, one dog gets the medicine and for the other it's nothing more than a snack.

Fpoonsie
08-06-2014, 11:23 AM
One thing to be careful of with half doses though: sometimes the manufacturer will put the medicine in one little random spot to prevent you from splitting doses. For instance, the Heartgard chew can never be split because the drop of medicine is in some random place in the entire chew. So if you split it between two dogs, one dog gets the medicine and for the other it's nothing more than a snack.

Wow. That's...kinda fucked.

cantthinkofanything
08-06-2014, 11:28 AM

Wow. That's...kinda fucked.

wtf...I had no idea

leemajors
08-06-2014, 11:30 AM

my mom used to split those pills between our beagle and lab all the time in the 80s/90s

TheSanityAnnex
08-06-2014, 11:41 AM

Never knew that, very fucked up. He's the only one that gets the Apoquel so even if that were the case whatever he is actually getting is working great, and saves me half off. This Apoquel is a hot commodity, my dog was one of the first to try it in my area so I can refill his script any time I want. Apparently they are not giving out new prescriptions at the time and only giving them to current dogs. I should start dealing half of his month's supply on the black market :lol

baseline bum
08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Never knew that, very fucked up. He's the only one that gets the Apoquel so even if that were the case whatever he is actually getting is working great, and saves me half off. This Apoquel is a hot commodity, my dog was one of the first to try it in my area so I can refill his script any time I want. Apparently they are not giving out new prescriptions at the time and only giving them to current dogs. I should start dealing half of his month's supply on the black market :lol

Heartgard is the only one I know for sure that does that (my vet warned me about that).