08-07-2014, 08:40 AM
http://yhoo.it/XHoSQg

100%duncan
08-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Cavs going all in.

Ice009
08-07-2014, 08:44 AM
It's on now.

You guys think the Cavs are now the favorites to make the finals from the East?

Unbelievable that Lebron seems to get whatever he wants most of the time.

Baam
08-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Not sure who is gonna play defense on that team... Actually liked the idea of Lebron going back to the Cavs at first but I hate that move, makes it pretty easy to root against them now tbh...

spursparker9
08-07-2014, 08:49 AM
:lol

Lebron. Still needing to recruit superstar player in order to feel secured.

spursparker9
08-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Good for Wiggins.

Now he can be a legit contender for ROY

smaka
08-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Overrated no-D statpadder who's never been to the playoffs.

littlecoyotecoin
08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Good for Wiggins.

Now he can be a legit contender for ROY

Yeah, I think they gave up to much to get him, but who knows.

Clipper Nation
08-07-2014, 08:58 AM

They're getting a superstar in addition to the overrated stat-padder? Who is it?

Dex
08-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Cavs are going to be an interesting squad, but still have a lot to prove. Kyrie and Love can both put up big stats, but they are used to doing so by having the ball in their hands and being the primary (oftentimes sole) option.

I still think the Heat had a better dynamic and a more complete and well-rounded bench.

SouthernFried
08-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Good for Cleveland.

My money's still on the old, slow guys tho.

100%duncan
08-07-2014, 09:04 AM
People still hate Lebron for "needing" superstars to win? :lol Funny

boutons_deux
08-07-2014, 09:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9_vhYpR9xo

Russ
08-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Stephen A. Smith proclaims that Minny got screwed and should have taken Klay Thompson.

I think Minny made out great. Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a 1st round pick (albeit toward the end of the round).

That's much better than Klay Thompson.

montgod
08-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Also... rumor is Marion leaning towards taking less and signing with Cavs... they definitely look like the favorites in the East with Bulls right behind them.

Richie
08-07-2014, 09:27 AM
Different GM, same story. Minnesota getting pennies on the dollar

montgod
08-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Stephen A. Smith proclaims that Minny got screwed and should have taken Klay Thompson.

I think Minny made out great. Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a 1st round pick (albeit toward the end of the round).

I agree. Not only that, rumor was that Bennett could go to Sixers for Thaddeus Young in third part of the trade.

Bill_Brasky
08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
:lol letting Lebron be the GM

Stupid fucks didnt learn the first time.

MarCowMar
08-07-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm quite content to see the Cavs give up two #1 picks and $120 million for an "elite" big man who shoots 45% from the field and has never made the playoffs...

Mr. Body
08-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Bennett was terrible last year and may only ever be serviceable. If Wiggins is better than Thompson then this was the better deal, but really GSW should stick with Klay - he's great for them.

Cleveland looks good but are no better than Miami was last year, if a bit worse. But they aren't expecting to win it this year, I hope. They'll need to grow into it.

Also, Love is a good piece but I'd rather have a strong defender down low. They'll have to find one.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Lebron would be the GM on 29 teams.

That's a good deal for both teams. Minny got the best they could have realistically hoped for. Cleveland got a legit third star for two unproven rookies and a late pick.

Spurs 4 The Win
08-07-2014, 09:39 AM
And LeBeta wonders why everyone hates him, when he does stuff like this, it makes people hate 100x more, lol cant win without a stacked team, has to leave to a better team because he doesnt have the balls to go through adversity

Bill_Brasky
08-07-2014, 09:40 AM
The deal would have been even better for Cleveland if they had waited it out.

But apparently they wanna win now. Which they still wont.

Russ
08-07-2014, 09:40 AM
That's a good deal for both teams.

Absolutely.

montgod
08-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Bennett was terrible last year and may only ever be serviceable. If Wiggins is better than Thompson then this was the better deal, but really GSW should stick with Klay - he's great for them.

Cleveland looks good but are no better than Miami was last year, if a bit worse. But they aren't expecting to win it this year, I hope. They'll need to grow into it.

Also, Love is a good piece but I'd rather have a strong defender down low. They'll have to find one.

I think Bennett will be better, but more along the lines of a D Gooden type of player overall (I couldn't think of any other good comparisons.... M Williams maybe?).
I do think Wiggins will eventually be better than Klay. Wiggins already seems more multi faceted then Klay who suffers from being satisfied with just shooting 3s.

And I would have to say I think Cle this year will be a lot closer to Mia last year then not. And if Irving and Love get in a groove with Lebron, their ceiling will be a lot higher than last years Miami team. I wouldn't necessarily say Bosh was a good defender down low. An occasional block isn't saying much. So Verajo, Thompson, and Love (when he feels like it) would be serviceable with weak centers throughout the East playoff contenders. For now, I think Cavs will play the defense of scoring more to exhaust other teams on defense and making them too tired to score as effectively.

100%duncan
08-07-2014, 09:47 AM

It's not like it's a bad move. Love is no proven playoff player but he ain't Mo Williams or Delonte West either.

montgod
08-07-2014, 09:55 AM
It's not like it's a bad move. Love is no proven playoff player but he ain't Mo Williams or Delonte West either.

No one knows if he will be a playoff performer till he actually gets there. I think he will be fine in playoffs and do well (i.e. Garnett w/o his defense) once he gets there, but his knock will always be lack of defense. With so many options (Irving, Waiters, Thompson, Lebron, Miller), he won't need to put up similar numbers as last year (26pt, 12bds, 4asst) to be effective for the Cavs. And he will already have a max contract to complain if he doesn't get his numbers. Either way, Lebron and company can put up some nice distractions to open him up on the 3pt line all day long. Its going to be interesting how it all works together, but their egos should be out the door w/max deals for most part with the big 3.

100%duncan
08-07-2014, 10:01 AM
No one knows if he will be a playoff performer till he actually gets there. I think he will be fine in playoffs and do well (i.e. Garnett w/o his defense) once he gets there, but his knock will always be lack of defense. With so many options (Irving, Waiters, Thompson, Lebron, Miller), he won't need to put up similar numbers as last year (26pt, 12bds, 4asst) to be effective for the Cavs. And he will already have a max contract to complain if he doesn't get his numbers. Either way, Lebron and company can put up some nice distractions to open him up on the 3pt line all day long. Its going to be interesting how it all works together, but their egos should be out the door w/max deals for most part with the big 3.

No one knows how Wiggins will end up too. One thing's for sure he won't be half-as good as Love is in 3 years which is the Cavs' championship window imho.

montgod
08-07-2014, 10:06 AM
No one knows how Wiggins will end up too. One thing's for sure he won't be half-as good as Love is in 3 years which is the Cavs' championship window imho.

I agree... but I think the Cavs would have been good either way. I think he is going to be a really good player especially on the defensive end which would have worked will since Irving is allergic to defense to some degree. With them keeping him, he would have definitely helped on the perimeter defense if anything and developed into a very good scorer from the outside. Kevin Love is in his prime, but is mainly an offensive threat w/benefits on the boards. Pros and Cons each way...

100%duncan
08-07-2014, 10:08 AM
I agree... but I think the Cavs would have been good either way. I think he is going to be a really good player especially on the defensive end which would have worked will since Irving is allergic to defense to some degree. With them keeping him, he would have definitely helped on the perimeter defense if anything and developed into a very good scorer from the outside. Kevin Love is in his prime, but is mainly an offensive threat w/benefits on the boards. Pros and Cons each way...

Yup. They were winning the East either way so whatever imho.

dbreiden83080
08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Squad is kind of like the Heat. Great starting 3 with no bench..

dbreiden83080
08-07-2014, 10:15 AM
And with Georges injury they win the east pretty easy.. But may have a showdown with the Heat oh won't that be fun?

Chinook
08-07-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't think there can be a "firm agreement" that Love has to opt out and re-sign. There certainly can't be anything binding. That would be VERY against the CBA.

I'm keen to see if Philly is going to be involved as well. Will Bennett be enough for Young? He should be. But if Minny gives up a pick as well, it would be bananas.

MeloHype
08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Just do Parker/Manu & Splitter/Duncan pick n roll against Kyrie & Love all game long

montgod
08-07-2014, 10:22 AM

I don't agree. I actually like their bench of Waiters, Thompson, Miller and Marion and Lucas is a decent backup at pg... haven't looked at who else is on it but that's decent.

peacemaker885
08-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I don't agree. I actually like their bench of Waiters, Thompson, Miller and Marion and Lucas is a decent backup at pg... haven't looked at who else is on it but that's decent.

Did they get Marion already? They still have that unknown commodity - new coach. Most everything is new with the Cavs ...

mudyez
08-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Love it! I had concernes about Cavs getting Love without giving up on Wiggins. Also had concernes about a clicking LeBron/Wiggins lineup...Irvin/Bron/Love is good, but no threat to the Spurs, if they meet in the Finals.

Also like it for the Wolves.

elemento
08-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Crazy how a such moronic franchise can still be good after screwing up several picks in a row.

Reaching for Tristan Thompson and passing on Valanciunas, Leonard, Klay Thompson
Reaching for Dion Waiters and passing on Lillard and Drummond
Reaching for Anthony Bennett and passing on Oladipo, MCW, Nerlens Noel

Pathetic. I wanna see Cleveland getting their butts kicked badly and I think that the Bulls will do it.

TheGreatYacht
08-07-2014, 10:40 AM
42pts, 14reb, 8-9 3PT

slick'81
08-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Sure as hell beats his old broken down big 3

bigfan
08-07-2014, 11:09 AM
The East is still the JV in the NBA.

08-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Cavs have to throw in a 2015 first rounder too? As if two #1 picks wasn't enough? :lol Cavs just didn't learn anything from last time they lost Lebron did they? They are so insecure about Lebron leaving that they are willing to sacrifice their entire future to bring back short term gains. Trading away two #1 picks and another first rounder for a 6'8 PF who doesn't play defense when the Cavs had all the leverage? I still think the Cavs should probably have made some trade for Love that involved some of their young players but to give up so many young assets, they could have made a far better deal. But they are just too scared of Lebron being unhappy for one year that they negotiated terribly. Should have played hardball and offered Waiters, Bennett, and 1 or 2 first round picks. That's still a comparable package that the Magic got for Howard... and Howard was the best center in the league at that time.

-21-
08-07-2014, 11:40 AM

They really do look similar to LeBron's Heat teams. Irving/Love is probably a slight upgrade over Wade/Bosh at this point especially if they show they can perform in the playoffs. One of the big things the Cavs lack though is experience.

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 11:45 AM
I don't get what people are saying, both teams did well. Everyone knows what Klay is for the most part and he literally does no good for Minny. Minny has to take swings for stars (and cheap ones) and it's hard to argue (based on what was offered/reported) that they could have done any better than what they did.

CLE does this for obvious reasons and it makes their ceiling incredibly high. Anyone saying that MIA last year was better is foolish IMO. Wade continued to struggle with health/defense and that alone lowered their ceiling. CLE should at least in theory be so much better offensively than the Heat were. They literally upgraded offensively at almost every position. They still have an ok bench (that has some youth) so they are ahead of the Heat there.

Their big concern is AV's health and overall wing defense. Their defense should be quite bad as it stands now with no improvement from Love/Kyrie and they need some wing defenders with Wiggins gone. But I think both teams did well for the most part.

If Love re-signing is true, their payroll is going to be bananas!

PublicOption
08-07-2014, 11:52 AM
its insane what teams have to do to beat the spurs.......for the last 10 years they have been doing this......funny.

Mal
08-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Lol 200 mil to two statpadders without any success.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Boris gonna put Love in the spin cycle if we meet in the Finals :lol

TheyCallMePro
08-07-2014, 12:24 PM
I think this is a BIG mistake.

Wiggins, IMO, is better than Love right now. Everyone talks about his "potential", but what I see is a freakish athlete whose overall game is vastly underrated. He's a good shooter, an elite defender, and an overall behemoth on the court. Love is no behemoth. Nobody respects him on D.

Look, somebody had to score all those points and get all those rebounds on a BAD Minnesota team. Stats are overrated. How many points did Monta Ellis average with Golden State and Milwaukee? How many points/assists did/do Chris Paul and Steve Nash average year in and year out in comparison to Tony Parker? I think people look at Love's career average way too much and not Kevin Love the basketball player enough. Wiggins would smoke him 1 on 1.

Bad choice, Lebron. Can't believe you passed up on the opportunity to play alongside the next you. The next behemoth in the NBA. What a shame. 5 years from now we'll all look back, everyone will see what a terrible mistake this was for the Cavs.

minuzzo21
08-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Great move by Minnesota!

Holden_Caulfield
08-07-2014, 12:47 PM
whos gonna play defense besides lebron? :lol

SpurPadre
08-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Love averaged 25 ppg, 11 boards and .411 fg% against us last season and that's fallen in line with what he's usually done against us in his career. His usage percentage is high in the games he's played us, and while his Drtg sucks, he's hounded us with defensive boards and his true stretching of the floor has created several opportunities for his teammates. There's no denying this is the buy a Championship Heat 2.0 and will be a formidable opponent should we meet them in the finals next year but as it currently stands, I still like our chances against them in a tough finals. Fucking LeBron though so insecure of himself he always needs his team to buy their way into a title for him and get stars left and right. I'll never respect him for that.

ElNono
08-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Not worried about Love...

manufan10
08-07-2014, 01:42 PM
http://s27.postimg.org/xuen7kcgz/Screenshot_2014_08_07_at_1_16_59_PM.png

kobe4life
08-07-2014, 01:48 PM
I'm actually glad the Great Satan was stupid enough to trade the next superstar in Wiggins for an overrated scrub in Kevin Love. The Great Satan will be laughed at when Wiggins dominates this league in a year or two.

SanDiegoSpursFan
08-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I think this puts them as favorites to come out of the East. I don't buy the Rose stuff yet.

The Reckoning
08-07-2014, 01:56 PM
love is too white to be in a "big 3"

velik_m
08-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Cavs overpayed. It will probably work out good for them this year, but in the long term i think this trade is a mistake.

bluebellmaniac
08-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I'm going to wait until it it confirmed by TSpence before I give any credence to this Woj guy...

toki9
08-07-2014, 02:28 PM
They really do look similar to LeBron's Heat teams. Irving/Love is probably a slight upgrade over Wade/Bosh at this point especially if they show they can perform in the playoffs. One of the big things the Cavs lack though is experience.

But neither Irving nor Love play defense...and who's in the middle? Varejao can't stay healthy enough to stay on the floor...and Haywood is already 34...and Waiters and Irving don't get along, especially with Waiters being a total headcase...that team is going to be really interesting to watch, but perhaps not in a good way.

myhc
08-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Anderson Verajao/Tristan Thompson
Kevin Love/Shawn Marion
Lebron James/Mike Miller
Dion Waiters/Ray Allen?/James Jones
Kyrie Irving/Matt Dellavadova

If they get Ray Allen, that looks like a pretty good team to me. Bench is a little thin but that starting 5 looks pretty nasty. They should be favorites out East and if they get to the finals, will be a tough team to beat. Their offensive firepower is off the charts.

timtonymanu
08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Leonard guards LeBron, Diaw guards Love, Green guards Irving. Problem solved!

Good trade for Cleveland though. Instantly makes them Finals favorites even if Love wasn't going there.

Richie
08-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Kevin Love/Shawn Marion
Lebron James/Mike Miller

If they get Ray Allen, that looks like a pretty good team to me. Bench is a little thin but that starting 5 looks pretty nasty. They should be favorites out East and if they get to the finals, will be a tough team to beat. Their offensive firepower is off the charts.

I'll be worried when I see Varejao go a season without a long layoff, you just can't count on him to be healthy for the playoffs. Without Varejao, that team looks very vulnerable to a team with any kind of size. If George wasn't injured I'd fancy the Pacers in a series, but I definitely fancy the Bulls with Noah/Gasol even if Rose isn't back to MVP form.

Sean Cagney
08-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Exactly, I rooted for him when he first went to Cleveland but now this team up crap again and watch Ray Allen and a few more VETS run over there to try to piggy back to another RING.

Mikeanaro
08-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Who wants to be lonely? Who wants to be with Lebron tonight? oohh oohhh

Richie
08-07-2014, 03:03 PM
The weird one is Marion, why would he take so little to play with Lebron? If he's going to take the minimum I thought he would go back to the Mavericks, they're a contender and he's won a ring there. If he wants more then I understand leaving as the Mavs can't compete on salary.

timtonymanu
08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Exactly, I rooted for him when he first went to Cleveland but now this team up crap again and watch Ray Allen and a few more VETS run over there to try to piggy back to another RING.

Not every franchise has the brains like Pop and RC to build through the draft so of course the other route is building these 'superteams". LeBron was a one-man team his last two seasons in Miami so i dont get why some people still think he had a lot of help. :lol

Vic Petro
08-07-2014, 03:04 PM
No defense and still nobody in the paint. Not sure Kyrie will transition to playing more off the ball so smoothly. Some injury prone guys there. If the Derek Rose stories are true then Chicago is still the favorite imo. Big gap after Chicago and Cleveland though.

r0drig0lac
08-07-2014, 03:07 PM
lol, some guys here finding some way to criticize cleveland for catching the best rebounder in the world

hater
08-07-2014, 03:07 PM
If Lebron can make this team contend in the NBA Finals then hes easily the 2nd best player in history

timtonymanu
08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
The weird one is Marion, why would he take so little to play with Lebron? If he's going to take the minimum I thought he would go back to the Mavericks, they're a contender and he's won a ring there. If he wants more then I understand leaving as the Mavs can't compete on salary.

They have Parsons and RJ (:lol) now. Marion could get more playing time in Cleveland.

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Cavs have to throw in a 2015 first rounder too? As if two #1 picks wasn't enough? :lol Cavs just didn't learn anything from last time they lost Lebron did they? They are so insecure about Lebron leaving that they are willing to sacrifice their entire future to bring back short term gains. Trading away two #1 picks and another first rounder for a 6'8 PF who doesn't play defense when the Cavs had all the leverage? I still think the Cavs should probably have made some trade for Love that involved some of their young players but to give up so many young assets, they could have made a far better deal. But they are just too scared of Lebron being unhappy for one year that they negotiated terribly. Should have played hardball and offered Waiters, Bennett, and 1 or 2 first round picks. That's still a comparable package that the Magic got for Howard... and Howard was the best center in the league at that time.

Cavs did not have all the leverage. There were plenty of options and teams who wanted Love. Minny had Love and even though he advised them he would leave, they still had plenty of leverage. Especially when you consider that CLE would not have the money to sign KL in Free Agency. The only chance to get him was via trade and there were plenty of teams lined up.

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Love averaged 25 ppg, 11 boards and .411 fg% against us last season and that's fallen in line with what he's usually done against us in his career. His usage percentage is high in the games he's played us, and while his Drtg sucks, he's hounded us with defensive boards and his true stretching of the floor has created several opportunities for his teammates. There's no denying this is the buy a Championship Heat 2.0 and will be a formidable opponent should we meet them in the finals next year but as it currently stands, I still like our chances against them in a tough finals. Fucking LeBron though so insecure of himself he always needs his team to buy their way into a title for him and get stars left and right. I'll never respect him for that.

This is the world's strangest argument to me. It's so odd. It would be like saying you don't respect Tim because he didn't request that Manu/TP leave when they were superstars and got paid well because Tim was insecure he couldn't win without a bunch of crap.

Whether it comes via draft (which Lebron has no control over) or trades (about the only way guys will come to CLE knowingly) or FA (Spurs have added FA's to help them win with Finley, ect..) it is just a hateful argument with no real substance. There is a punitive salary cap and it's not like CLE or MIA for that matter have exploded past it into BKY territory. Even if they did, so what?

There have been plenty of big 3's and guys taking less money to win (Duncan), so it's just silly to me.

cd98

That's much better than Klay Thompson. Except that Klay is a proven commodity and Wiggins and Bennett are not. And Minnie got more than Klay. He was one piece, but the deal also involved Harrison Barnes and David Lee. Or some combination of players that were good and proven.

DPG21920
Cavs overpayed. It will probably work out good for them this year, but in the long term i think this trade is a mistake.

What do you think would have been "fair"? Keep in mind, that CLE, if they wanted Love could not sign him in FA. They had to trade for him if they wanted him.

Sean Cagney
08-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Not every franchise has the brains like Pop and RC to build through the draft so of course the other route is building these 'superteams". LeBron was a one-man team his last two seasons in Miami so i dont get why some people still think he had a lot of help. :lol

The good thing is the Spurs doing it the so called right way can compete and win titles in this so called super team league! That part right there is a good thing and the throwback teams still have hope (OKC built theirs as well on their own and can compete IMO). I am glad the Spurs are around!

I agree on the last two years as well, Wade did help him in last years finals though bigtime although he didn't show up at all this year. Wade is just pretty much done as a star in the league, got old and yes Lebron carried them through a weak East.

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 03:15 PM
I'll be worried when I see Varejao go a season without a long layoff, you just can't count on him to be healthy for the playoffs. Without Varejao, that team looks very vulnerable to a team with any kind of size. If George wasn't injured I'd fancy the Pacers in a series, but I definitely fancy the Bulls with Noah/Gasol even if Rose isn't back to MVP form.

The Pacers sucked even with PG and Lance. They couldn't beat a Heat team with more mileage, a worse bench and a much worse offense.

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 03:20 PM
No defense and still nobody in the paint. Not sure Kyrie will transition to playing more off the ball so smoothly. Some injury prone guys there. If the Derek Rose stories are true then Chicago is still the favorite imo. Big gap after Chicago and Cleveland though.

Their roster with youth/athleticism/rebounding is a great fit for the East. There just isn't anyone in the East with size to punish them enough to keep them from an ECF. The Pacers are worse, WAS in theory should be good, but guys like Nene/Gortat look a lot better than they functionally are. Charlotte has an outside shot but it's tough to bet on them. CHI has size, but will Noah really eat you alive scoring wise down low? Pau is good obviously, but as of now they appear to be the only real threat and likely won't see each other until the ECF.

The key is Love/Kyrie. They should be damn good offensively as a team, but it is still yet to be seen how Love/Kyrie react with lower usage rates. They may go through some slumps like MIA did when they were learning each other and it may be worse because they can't fall back on great defense while they figure it out. There are some concerns, but with regards to winning a title in CLE, they did about as great as you could do (brought in young star in his prime in Love, shipped out a busted Sophmore and talented rookie).

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 03:22 PM
The good thing is the Spurs doing it the so called right way can compete and win titles in this so called super team league! That part right there is a good thing and the throwback teams still have hope (OKC built theirs as well on their own and can compete IMO). I am glad the Spurs are around!

I agree on the last two years as well, Wade did help him in last years finals though bigtime although he didn't show up at all this year. Wade is just pretty much done as a star in the league, got old and yes Lebron carried them through a weak East.

Spurs have a super team with a big 3 too. They did it before Lebron.

Sean Cagney
08-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Spurs have a super team with a big 3 too. They did it before Lebron.

I meant run to team up together. I understand Boston had those guys traded to them in 08 but the guys running to a team and then old vets running there as well to team up chasing a ring. This NBA is kind of weak IMO from that. You have no parity, the West has about an even field but the East is one team year after year it seems with decent to bad teams after that. I would love to see Competition.

DPG21920
08-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I meant run to team up together. I understand Boston had those guys traded to them in 08 but the guys running to a team and then old vets running there as well to team up chasing a ring. This NBA is kind of weak IMO from that. You have no parity, the West has about an even field but the East is one team year after year it seems with decent to bad teams after that. I would love to see Competition.

But every team does that. Spurs had old vets chasing rings come to them (Horry, Finley, ect..). It's not just isolated to Lebron. Lebron taking less money to play with better teammates (and his cast was very good, but no better than Tim/Manu/TP) is hated, while the Spurs are lauded for that.

I get not liking things overall, but not respecting Lebron singled out for something everyone does is baffling to me. There are plenty of reasons to not like Lebron IMO, but that should not be one.

-21-
08-07-2014, 03:56 PM
But neither Irving nor Love play defense...and who's in the middle? Varejao can't stay healthy enough to stay on the floor...and Haywood is already 34...and Waiters and Irving don't get along, especially with Waiters being a total headcase...that team is going to be really interesting to watch, but perhaps not in a good way.

I know. It's another one of their flaws... Defense. :lol

TheyCallMePro
08-07-2014, 04:09 PM

See I just don't get the Derrick Rose hype. In 2011 the Bulls got CRUSHED by the Heat in the ECF 4-1 (the Heat won 4 straight) and that Heat team had no bench and started Mike Bibby at PG. That was Rose's MVP year and the Bulls had the best record in the NBA. Didn't matter. The Heat DESTROYED them with both Derrick Rose and the Bulls at their absolute peak. And now 4 years later people wanna talk about the Bulls being the team to beat in the East...when since then they've lost in the playoffs to the #8 seed 76ers (4-2), the #1 seed Heat, (4-1) and the #5 seed Wizards (4-1). And they're basically the same team they were 4 years ago but without a bench and with a washed up and old Pau Gasol.

RD2191
08-07-2014, 04:13 PM
I'm going to wait until it it confirmed by TSpence before I give any credence to this Woj guy...

RD2191
08-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Last 2 seasons D Wade and Bosh is arguably more help than Tim Duncan ever had, tbh, imo.

cd021
08-07-2014, 04:21 PM
whos gonna play defense besides lebron? :lol

You mean Irving, Waiters and Love don't play defense?:lol

Arcadian
08-07-2014, 04:22 PM
I think this is a BIG mistake.

Wiggins, IMO, is better than Love right now. Everyone talks about his "potential", but what I see is a freakish athlete whose overall game is vastly underrated. He's a good shooter, an elite defender, and an overall behemoth on the court. Love is no behemoth. Nobody respects him on D.

Look, somebody had to score all those points and get all those rebounds on a BAD Minnesota team. Stats are overrated. How many points did Monta Ellis average with Golden State and Milwaukee? How many points/assists did/do Chris Paul and Steve Nash average year in and year out in comparison to Tony Parker? I think people look at Love's career average way too much and not Kevin Love the basketball player enough. Wiggins would smoke him 1 on 1.

Bad choice, Lebron. Can't believe you passed up on the opportunity to play alongside the next you. The next behemoth in the NBA. What a shame. 5 years from now we'll all look back, everyone will see what a terrible mistake this was for the Cavs.

You might be right. I'm not as confident as you are, but if Wiggins turns out to be a superstar, and Love has declined significantly in a few years, this trade would go down in infamy.

cd021
08-07-2014, 04:31 PM
PG-Irving
SG-Waiters
SF-James
PF-Love
C-Varejao

Bench

PG-Dellavedola/JLIII
SG-Allen (possibly)
SF-Miller
PF-Marion (possibly)
C-Hayward/ Okafor (possibly)

not a bad unit. Probably not going to be very good defensively though. Probably league average at best.

Would have made more sense to add Kevin Martin to the deal. If Allen doesn't come back for another season. Then that bench would be ,mediocre, at best.

Chillen
08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Kevin Love/Shawn Marion
Lebron James/Mike Miller

The missing piece on that roster, Wiggins. :)

The Bulls have enough to possibly beat the Cavs in the ECF, but as of right now either the Bulls or Cavs will be in the NBA finals in June for the East. I don't see any other East opponent beating either Bulls or Cavs in a 7 game series, except the Wiz could play spoiler again. So if health prevails for both teams, they will be going at it in the ECF. Now the NBA finals are a different story, not sold that either can beat the Thunder or Spurs, but it's not impossible. It would be a huge upset if either the Cavs or Bulls are bounced out of the playoffs before the ECF, unless they both go at it in the 2nd round.

cjw
08-07-2014, 05:58 PM

Salary scales for #1 picks get pricey, but would much rather pay those two combined $11.5, $13.3 and $17.1 (Bennett's that year is a qualifying offer) for the three seasons AFTER this one and pray for them to reach their potential than to give Thompson a max extension that pays him more than both of those guys combined. Don't get me wrong, Thompson is a very good player (hides Curry's awful D) and deserves to get paid, but two is better than one, particularly with them under control at well below market rates for a longer period of time. So much for the rumor of Bennett going to Philly in the deal with Thad Young to the Wolves. I'd rather keep the two young kids and see how they develop.

Perhaps pairing Thompson with Rubio would have made basketball sense given Rubio can't shoot to save his life and Thompson would help spread the floor.

Mr. Body
08-07-2014, 06:27 PM
OKC and SAS have waaaaaay too much offense for the current Cavs team. Cleveland would need to slow their Finals opponent down and I don't see it there. Spurs made mincemeat out of a Heat defense that was hitherto very good and they had better defensive players. I don't know if the Cavs can out score us. Plus on experience, I don't like Kyrie or Waiters against Parker and Ginobili.

Oh, Gee!!
08-07-2014, 06:37 PM
I think Cleveland could take OKC.

DAF86
08-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Love is one of the best players to put next to Lebron but I would have liked to see the James/Wiggins duo on the wings.

FireMicoHalili
08-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Either Love can't carry a team on his back or the West's top eight is tough to crack. Just happy he can finally play in the playoffs, no matter how Pyrrhic an eastern conference playoff slot seems like. Can say assembling a team feels like pussying out, but it can also look like deft planning and manoeuvring. Not everyone can replicate the Spurs' blueprint for success and it's tough to expect that from the rest of the league.

FireMicoHalili
08-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Wolves looking to unload JJ Barea, Alexey Shved, and Luc Richard Mbah A Moute btw

spurs10
08-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I went to that Wolves game last year where he made a few hundred 3's. Couldn't miss. We still won though.

guilhermercf
08-07-2014, 07:39 PM
This Cavs team will get way better than the last seasons' Heat. Waaaaay better.

TD 21
08-07-2014, 07:57 PM
For all the obvious reasons, this puts them in contention, but with all the question marks, I'd be surprised if they won the championship next season. I keep hearing about how the Spurs' odds should be lower because they play in the West, as if there's a litany of teams that could beat them, when in reality there's the exact same number that could beat them (one, maybe two) that could beat the Cavaliers in the East.

I'd go . . .

1. Spurs/Thunder
2. Thunder/Spurs
3. Bulls
4. Cavaliers
5. Clippers

As far as their rotation, it sounds like Moore may be brought in to be the backup PG, or at least compete with Dellavedova for it. Whoever they bring in at C, I suspect Thompson ends up as the primary backup, with Marion backing up both forward positions. If Allen eventually signs, then Marion would become strictly the backup PF and Miller the backup SF.

barbacoataco
08-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Not that easy to assemble a championship team. It helps that the East is so ridiculously weak. But still it just isn't that easy. You never know how players will gel. Also when Lebron went to Miami in 2010 Wade was already a Finals MVP. Kevin Love has never played in the playoffs. I guess we'll see.

Sean Cagney
08-07-2014, 09:08 PM
But every team does that. Spurs had old vets chasing rings come to them (Horry, Finley, ect..). It's not just isolated to Lebron. Lebron taking less money to play with better teammates (and his cast was very good, but no better than Tim/Manu/TP) is hated, while the Spurs are lauded for that.

I get not liking things overall, but not respecting Lebron singled out for something everyone does is baffling to me. There are plenty of reasons to not like Lebron IMO, but that should not be one.No, you will see players just flock there now, Horry came yes and most thought he was done then and Finley was basically by himself coming here, not a 3 or 4 old vets running to the team one player has (Miami and now Cleveland). Spurs get a vet here or there like Barry, Finley and Horry but never in the same year when a big name comes to their team, thats different than coming to a vet club and by yourself and not with 2 or 3 other guys. I don't see the resemblence between the Spurs and Heat or Cleveland here, they seem to just flock there where he goes and watch this offseason more and more will come.

I have nothing against Lebron BTW, it's just the older guys who all fly to the team he is on when he gets there to try and get one ring or one last ring that makes me kind of chuckle, watch Ray Allen end up there now to follow him again. I would not doubt a few others joint Mike Miller and Jones etc. running there now, seems to be the theme where he goes.

We will just have to wait and see that, nothing is a given and they need to gel like someone above said.

Mr Bones
08-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Wolves looking to unload JJ Barea, Alexey Shved, and Luc Richard Mbah A Moute btw

Mbah a Moute would be perfect for the Cavs.... a very good defender who doesn't need the ball on the offensive end.

timtonymanu
08-07-2014, 09:36 PM
No, you will see players just flock there now, Horry came yes and most thought he was done then and Finley was basically by himself coming here, not a 3 or 4 old vets running to the team one player has (Miami and now Cleveland). Spurs get a vet here or there like Barry, Finley and Horry but never in the same year when a big name comes to their team, thats different than coming to a vet club and by yourself and not with 2 or 3 other guys. I don't see the resemblence between the Spurs and Heat or Cleveland here, they seem to just flock there where he goes and watch this offseason more and more will come.

I have nothing against Lebron BTW, it's just the older guys who all fly to the team he is on when he gets there to try and get one ring or one last ring that makes me kind of chuckle, watch Ray Allen end up there now to follow him again. I would not doubt a few others joint Mike Miller and Jones etc. running there now, seems to be the theme where he goes.

Hell, I would play with LeBron. You're guaranteed at worst a Finals trip. Why waste your time on another team with no chances at a title when your career is about to end? Plus, it's obvious players like being teammates with LeBron. Big Z followed him in 2010 to Miami and now Miller, Jones, and possibly Allen.

The Spurs only get 1-2 vets to join them because Pop is a picky coach (which is a good thing) and they play in a small market. Even today, players like Gasol, Granger, and Butler reject coming to the Spurs (thankfully none of them ever came here). No one likes playing here apparently. :lol

Sean Cagney
08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Hell, I would play with LeBron. You're guaranteed at worst a Finals trip. Why waste your time on another team with no chances at a title when your career is about to end? Plus, it's obvious players like being teammates with LeBron. Big Z followed him in 2010 to Miami and now Miller, Jones, and possibly Allen.

The Spurs only get 1-2 vets to join them because Pop is a picky coach (which is a good thing) and they play in a small market. Even today, players like Gasol, Granger, and Butler reject coming to the Spurs (thankfully none of them ever came here). No one likes playing here apparently. :lol

I agree, it just sucks as far as the parity goes in the NBA, especially in the East. I would love to see more than just one team loading up and a actual playoff out there for once :lol:lol. Players love playing with Bron, mainly because he can possibly bring the old washed up or on their last leg guys a ring as you said since they could not do it during their own career in their prime :lol, cheapens the ring SOME IMO. I would rather win on the team that drafted me and stay there, but hey not everyone as you said has the luxury of playing their careers on a team like the Spurs with a chance to ring and the best FO in the league.

I see why those on shitty teams leave TBH, Love had no shot at all in Minny and he knew it. Miller was not going to win jack on Memphis if he stayed and whoever else goes there from a team who is not a contender I don't blame them for getting out of a bad situation to go to a possible finals team. I wish there was better teams out East, that is all.
Mbah a Moute would be perfect for the Cavs.... a very good defender who doesn't need the ball on the offensive end.

He will end up there if he is unloaded or released, perfect fit as you said and makes sense. Love is there too now so he might join his old teammate there, watch.

skulls138
08-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Screw em. Let em join. More fuel for the fire.

dbreiden83080
08-07-2014, 11:46 PM

Meh.. Kyrie is a talented young player but injury prone and Love is known as a soft player that stuffs the box scores but won't play defense. He also has never played any meaningful NBA basketball.. The rest of the team needs to gel.. It's going to interesting to watch it all play out..

TheGoldStandard
08-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Makes the East more interesting.

skulls138
08-08-2014, 12:25 AM
Makes the East more interesting.Thats not saying much.

admiralsnackbar
08-08-2014, 04:42 AM
Happy for the Wolves. They lost someone they were going to lose anyway for a pretty exciting infusion to rebuild upon. The Cavs now have to rely on vets under-valuing their worth to join the team. In Cleveland.

Best of luck, chaps.

romain.star
08-08-2014, 05:16 AM
its insane what teams have to do to beat the spurs.......for the last 10 years they have been doing this......funny.

I'm not sure acquiring Love has much to do with beating the Spurs specifically. They are just trying to build the best team possible which... kind of makes of sense

romain.star
08-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Not that easy to assemble a championship team. It helps that the East is so ridiculously weak. But still it just isn't that easy. You never know how players will gel. Also when Lebron went to Miami in 2010 Wade was already a Finals MVP. Kevin Love has never played in the playoffs. I guess we'll see.

In my opinion, this whole PO inexperience thing is overrated. When you're a good player, you're a good player. Plus, Lebron will deal with most of the pressure coming PO time so it should not be such an issue for Love.

What is worrisome (from a Cavs fan perspective) is that 2 of their Big 3 are defensive liabilities

littlecoyotecoin
08-08-2014, 07:13 AM
In my opinion, this whole PO inexperience thing is overrated. When you're a good player, you're a good player. Plus, Lebron will deal with most of the pressure coming PO time so it should not be such an issue for Love.

What is worrisome (from a Cavs fan perspective) is that 2 of their Big 3 are defensive liabilities

Lebron will get his ass worn out, again, having to do too much. He knows this. So he goes on diet this summer and attempts to improve endurace instead of being a bulldozer with a small tank.

Obstructed_View
08-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Now to see how Minnesota fucks up the talent they've acquired. Again.

dbestpro
08-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Kyrie, Waiters, James, Love, Varejao, with Brendan Haywood, Tristan Thompson, Miller, Ray Allen (probable) and James Jones.

Still need a backup PG, and a defensive minded wing to fill out the roster. In fact all remaining roster spots should be defense first type players if there is such a thing in today's NBA.

Werdsniper2
08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Cleveland is a pretty large favorite to advance or win it all:

PG: IRVING
SG: WAITERS
SF: JAMES
PF: LOVE
C: VAREJAO

6th: THOMPSON
Bench: Mike Miller
Bench: Ray Allen (?)

Who on earth is going to out-rebound that team?

Waiters will only get better with LBJ giving him wide open looks.

Also, let's be honest. K Love might look like a poor defender right now, but is there not the off-chance that he just did not give a F playing with Minny?

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have more confidence in this team than most others.

It might even be a good idea to switch Waiters to 6th and put a solid 3 & D player at starting SG.

Also, if I were a Cavs fan, I would be disappointed in the loss of Bennett more than Wiggins. Everyone knew Wiggins would be a casualty. Bennett looks skinnier and HUNGRY. 14 PPG/5RPG/1.5BPG type of potential I think. He was horrible last year, absolutely. However, he seems to have taken it to heart. I think he is going to play with a fire in his eye. I am interested to see what he can produce this year.

Seventyniner
08-08-2014, 08:25 AM
I don't know how to feel about a team that has so much top-level talent, but would start four one-way players.

skulls138
08-08-2014, 09:58 AM
To me it depends on the coach. Also Id be interested in seeing LJ playing with a talented PG. One of my pet peeves with Lebron is how much he tries to be mister everything instead of just playing SF.

velik_m
08-08-2014, 10:37 AM
What do you think would have been "fair"? Keep in mind, that CLE, if they wanted Love could not sign him in FA. They had to trade for him if they wanted him.

I haven't really thought that deeply about it, but i would at least try to keep Bennett and the 1st should be either later year or downgraded to second.

I just think it's too early for Cleveland to go "all in". There are huge question marks on this team: offensive (there is just one ball!), defensive, coaching (coach hasn't coached a single NBA game in his career, not even as an assistant), teamwork (how will all the new guys mesh with the guys already on the team) + much more (for example how will certain players play under pressure). If i was Cleveland, i wait some time to at least get a few things answered during the season, before you go all in.

The most troubling aspect of this trade however might be the feeling that LeBron is in the driver seat and is calling all the shots. That didn't end all too well for Cleveland the first time around.

dabom
08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Love is one of the best players to put next to Lebron but I would have liked to see the James/Wiggins duo on the wings.

I think they messed up. I don't rate wiggins high, but no team in the NBA can guard 2 huge wings on a starting five. Teams can stop a great SF and top15 PF. Thats like having twin towers on the perimeters. Teams would be forced to change their game just to play that team. Also they would save money paying wiggins on a rookie scale.

Obstructed_View
08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
And there are reports that the Sixers are going to join into the Love trade and get rid of Thaddeus Young to get Bennett. The extended tanking continues.

TheyCallMePro
08-08-2014, 08:36 PM
And there are reports that the Sixers are going to join into the Love trade and get rid of Thaddeus Young to get Bennett. The extended tanking continues.

Thaddeus Young fucking sucks. Why would Minnesota give an intriguing prospect away for a proven scrub?

I think too many people are sleeping on Bennet. He should NEVER have been drafted #1, but it was a super weak draft. Last year he had sleep apnea (where you can only sleep 2 hours a night and feel horrible all day) and a shoulder injury. He's fixed both and did look good in summer league. He's still 6'8, versatile, and young. Has far more potential than Thaddeus freaking Young.

BatManu20
08-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Good deal for all parties involved. Cavs easily the favorite in the east now, and wolves get two good, young players with potential and another 1st-round pick. win-win imo.

baseline bum
08-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Thaddeus Young fucking sucks. Why would Minnesota give an intriguing prospect away for a proven scrub?

I think too many people are sleeping on Bennet. He should NEVER have been drafted #1, but it was a super weak draft. Last year he had sleep apnea (where you can only sleep 2 hours a night and feel horrible all day) and a shoulder injury. He's fixed both and did look good in summer league. He's still 6'8, versatile, and young. Has far more potential than Thaddeus freaking Young.

Agreed, Minnesota is a fucking trainwreck and Thaddeus Young is just another player who looks great to the eye test but is always a year away from being good. I don't know how long I have been waiting for this guy to break out, and he never has. And he has had all the chances in the world considering the Sixers shipped Iguodala out to get this guy big minutes. Not saying I love Bennett or anything, but I'd take a prospect over a guy who never hit his potential and is going to be expecting a big contract in a year. I wish someone would buy that team, clean house, and move them to Vancouver or Seattle to start fresh.

baseline bum
08-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Good deal for all parties involved. Cavs easily the favorite in the east now, and wolves get two good, young players with potential and another 1st-round pick. win-win imo.

Young has been potential for seven years now. It's not going to happen and the Wolves are morons for trading away Bennett and that first round pick for that loser.

baseline bum
08-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Now to see how Minnesota fucks up the talent they've acquired. Again.

What they do best. LOL at Zach LaVine saying "Fuck Me" the minute he got drafted by them. If I was in the draft I'd rather get picked 10 slots lower with the associated much lesser contract than go to a team that no young talent other than Love has ever gotten better under. Derrick Williams, Shabazz Muhammed, Wesley Joihnson, Johhny Flynn have all been complete fuck-ups and Rubio is the exact same player he was in 2009. What a piece of shit franchise. I can't think of another team that has gotten so little out of so many high picks. I hate seeing Wiggins going there because you know he's never going to learn how to play in this league from fucking Flip Saunders. What a waste.

cd021
08-08-2014, 09:08 PM
They have Parsons and RJ (:lol) now. Marion could get more playing time in Cleveland.

Not necessarily. Lebron is at least playing 35 mpg with Miller as a backup and Marion would some play PF but Love and Thompson play that position.

Seventyniner
08-08-2014, 09:12 PM
I haven't really thought that deeply about it, but i would at least try to keep Bennett and the 1st should be either later year or downgraded to second.

I just think it's too early for Cleveland to go "all in". There are huge question marks on this team: offensive (there is just one ball!), defensive, coaching (coach hasn't coached a single NBA game in his career, not even as an assistant), teamwork (how will all the new guys mesh with the guys already on the team) + much more (for example how will certain players play under pressure). If i was Cleveland, i wait some time to at least get a few things answered during the season, before you go all in.

The most troubling aspect of this trade however might be the feeling that LeBron is in the driver seat and is calling all the shots. That didn't end all too well for Cleveland the first time around.

Disagree. LeBron is basically on a one-year contract. The Cavs have to do everything possible right now. Yes it sucks to be at the beck and call of a player, but the end goal is to win a title, and assembling as much top-level talent as possible has worked in the past (2008 Celtics, 2011-14 Heat). A loss in the Finals is probably enough to keep LeBron in Cleveland, but anything less might cause him to bolt again.

Obstructed_View
08-08-2014, 09:15 PM
I can't think of another team that has gotten so little out of so many high picks.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/wp-content/slideshow/2014/03/2014-nfl-draft-ranking-the-cleveland-browns-top-5-needs/medium/Cleveland-Browns.jpg

BatManu20
08-09-2014, 12:30 AM

Chinook
08-09-2014, 12:35 AM

I don't think there can be a "firm agreement" that Love has to opt out and re-sign. There certainly can't be anything binding. That would be VERY against the CBA.

Yep. Minny knows all about how the league views those types of agreements. There's little question in my mind that Stern would block this just as he blocked the KG Clippers trade.

The league may tell the Cavs and Love that he has to extend or they won't allow the deal. That would be hilarious for many reasons.

99 Problems
08-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Wolves doing okay. Otherwise Big Kev walks next season free to play with Uncle Drew and Le Brian.

Arcadian
08-09-2014, 01:38 AM

Not in their first year. That Heat team had chemistry and experience playing together. Look at the 2011 Heat - they had an arguably better big 3 at the time, but still lost the Finals due to lack of chemistry. This year, the Cavs have no chance of beating the Spurs in a series.

bluebellmaniac
08-09-2014, 02:24 AM
Yep. Minny knows all about how the league views those types of agreements. There's little question in my mind that Stern would block this just as he blocked the KG Clippers trade.

The league may tell the Cavs and Love that he has to extend or they won't allow the deal. That would be hilarious for many reasons.

Silver...

Chinook
08-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Silver...

Yeah. It's going to be interesting.

bluebellmaniac
08-09-2014, 03:05 AM
Yeah. It's going to be interesting.

Yes, it will be interesting. Does Silver let this arrangement slide in the hope that the league's star is helped in getting to the finals? Can he even act based on Woj's reporting? He would need facts, I would think, and no one is going to go on record.