PDA

View Full Version : French fans: How popular is Tony Parker in France?

Darius McCrary
08-07-2014, 06:11 PM
I got into a discussion yesterday with a very hipster-type person who insists the common person in France doesn't give a seconds thought about Tony Parker. Mainly because they are so haughty they don't care about American sports.

I always assumed he was near rock-star popular there, based on the news reports, videos, etc that are posted on this site.

What would be an accurate analogous popular person in USA culture?

Anyone?

DAF86
08-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Americans overrate quite a bit the popularity of foreing players playing in the USA. Just because you know who that person is it doesn't mean that that person is any more famous than other celebrities playing or doing their thing in other places, tbh.

I always laugh my ass off when I hear or read things like "Ginobili is like the most popular person in Argentina right?".

Baam
08-07-2014, 07:35 PM
He's super popular, mostly thanks to his mariage with Eva and his Euro win last summer... People dont care all that much about bball but TP is bigger than bball. He's one of the top 10 stars in sports... But at the same time most people hardly ever watch him play (except the Euro Finals), the NBA is extremely hard to follow as it's in the middle of the night...

So extremely popular but people don't follow the NBA.

spurs10
08-07-2014, 07:35 PM
He is a complete rock star in France and beloved by his countrymen. Manu is also huge in Argentina.

DMC
08-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Analogous to Parker in the US? Tony Parker.

phxspurfan
08-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Dcvh0A0qyBE

spurs10
08-08-2014, 01:16 AM
He's super popular, mostly thanks to his mariage with Eva and his Euro win last summer... People dont care all that much about bball but TP is bigger than bball. He's one of the top 10 stars in sports... But at the same time most people hardly ever watch him play (except the Euro Finals), the NBA is extremely hard to follow as it's in the middle of the night... So extremely popular but people don't follow the NBA. This

Venti Quattro
08-08-2014, 01:55 AM
Certainly not as popular as King Thierry Henry.

will_spurs
08-08-2014, 02:58 AM
Certainly not as popular as King Thierry Henry.

Hmm... right now he's certainly more popular. Most casual fans have conflicting views about Henry because he always seemed to perform so well in EPL, but not to make a real difference with French NT (which is what the casual fan really watches). There's nothing negative attached to Tony Parker.

Tony Parker was voted France's favorite sports person last January, ahead of soccer legend Zinedine Zidane who dominated the rankings for more than a decade IIRC. So I'd say he's quite huge in France right now. And for the record Thierry Henry doesn't appear in the top 25. Active sportsmen who come close to Tony's popularity: judo legend Teddy Riner and motorsports legend Sebastien Loeb.

http://www.programme-tv.net/news/sport/47178-top-25-sportifs-preferes-francais/

romain.star
08-08-2014, 03:09 AM
I got into a discussion yesterday with a very hipster-type person who insists the common person in France doesn't give a seconds thought about Tony Parker. Mainly because they are so haughty they don't care about American sports.

I always assumed he was near rock-star popular there, based on the news reports, videos, etc that are posted on this site.

What would be an accurate analogous popular person in USA culture?

Anyone?

So people are haughty because they don't care about sports played in the middle of the night on another continent? Are you aware that the USA is not the center of everything? Plus following you're logic, the Americans would be the most haughty people in the world

romain.star
08-08-2014, 03:51 AM
He's highly respected but people don't love/adore him. This is mainly because for 95% of the French never watched an NBA game

That being said, his 2013 Euro success gave him a nice and well-deserved popularity boost

FkLA
08-08-2014, 06:04 AM
Parker has some black in him and he was actually born in Belgium so the French hate him. They do not consider him a real French fry tbh.

romain.star
08-08-2014, 07:09 AM
Parker has some black in him and he was actually born in Belgium so the French hate him. They do not consider him a real French fry tbh.

Great analysis. You seem to be a very smart man

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
08-08-2014, 07:44 AM

I guess they just hate all the French guys on the 1998 WC since over half the starting team was black and were from french provinces in Africa. France is one of the Euro countries that aren't so prejudice against blacks. And their best player was an Arab immigrant for crying out loud.

And half of Belgian's speak French just to let you know.

Brazil
08-08-2014, 07:53 AM
He is quite popular and respected right now but 1. it's quite recent and a lot of that is related to the Euro win, 2. bb player won't ever reach the popularity of most successful football players for instance and 3. the fact he is playing in the US is more an issue than a boost to his popularity.

urunobili
08-08-2014, 08:15 AM
Do you guys think it's also related to him being born in Belgium and son of an American dad?

Typical London Boy
08-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Hmm... right now he's certainly more popular. Most casual fans have conflicting views about Henry because he always seemed to perform so well in EPL, but not to make a real difference with French NT (which is what the casual fan really watches). There's nothing negative attached to Tony Parker.
http://www.programme-tv.net/news/sport/47178-top-25-sportifs-preferes-francais/

I agree to an extent, but I think part of that is down to the fact that football (soccer) is a far more popular sport in France than basketball. Thus, if you don't perform that well for the French national football team, there's far more of a spotlight on you, because so many more people are watching and people there are so passionate about the football. I get the impression that they'd like France to win basketball tournaments too, but they won't lose any sleep if they don't. Thus, there's less pressure on Parker to perform.

marmotte
08-08-2014, 10:09 AM
He is very popular, but as has already been said, very few people actually follow his carrer in tne NBA. They know he is doing well but they have no idea what his actual value is (regular player, star, superstar, ...)

Do you guys think it's also related to him being born in Belgium and son of an American dad?
Nope, I really don't think so. I am pretty sure very few people in France know He si born in Belgium. He has played almost every summer with the NT, people have absolutely no problem with him being the son of an american dad.

PingPong
08-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Jeannie Longo, 58 times France Champion and a gold medalist probably is more popular and respected than Tony Parker.

Alain Prost, multiple times Formula 1 Champion probably is more popular than Parker in France

Stephane Peterhansel, multiple winner of the Paris Dakar probably is more popular than Parker in France

Sebastien Loeb, multiple times rally Champion is probably more popular than Parker in France.

Even Nicolas Vouilloz and Anne Caroline Chausson, both multiple times world champions, are more popular than Parker in France.

They are (were) dominant in their sports, all of tem more 'frenchy' than basketball.

Uh, don't forget about Zizou..

Brazil
08-08-2014, 10:55 AM

nope

Belgium is more a less an extension of France :lol More seriously, Jaques Brel (legendary singer) is belgium and were one of the most popular personality in france. I even doubt casual sports fans know that he is born in Belgium.

What we have to understand with TP is that is a pure product of French formation playing young at INSEP. He is French, invests his money in France, has a French passport and even more important play for FNT. So no there is 0 impact of belgium and/or american dad.

Darius McCrary
08-08-2014, 11:37 AM
So people are haughty because they don't care about sports played in the middle of the night on another continent? Are you aware that the USA is not the center of everything? Plus following you're logic, the Americans would be the most haughty people in the world
Dude learn to read
I neither said nor agreed with that. Someone I was talking to said that.

Solid D
08-08-2014, 01:29 PM
I got into a discussion yesterday with a very hipster-type person who insists the common person in France doesn't give a seconds thought about Tony Parker.

It may also be a reflection of the "very hipster-type" person's own interest in sports. I mean, basketball? That lower-phylum of entertainment? It's rather low-cultured and gauche..but if Tony played Bocce Ball, that might be different.

JP le Requin
08-08-2014, 04:04 PM
TP is popular in france with young people and older now thanks to the last european championship..and because he has won 4 nba chips !!
but its true i believe only 1% may have seen playing with spurs because nba games are broadcasted between 2 and 5 am !!! (thats why i come to san antonio asap ^^)
but really TP is liked here in france..
i consider him like the top 3 sportman of all time in france (he needs to get top 3 spot next Olympic games or other international championship like world cup) to pass Zidane..and be 1st!

Darius McCrary
08-08-2014, 04:48 PM
It may also be a reflection of the "very hipster-type" person's own interest in sports. I mean, basketball? That lower-phylum of entertainment? It's rather low-cultured and gauche..but if Tony played Bocce Ball, that might be different.
No he was one of those know-it-alls that insisted he knew what the common French person would think about a subject because he's presumably traveled to France so often.

romain.star
08-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Dude learn to read
I neither said nor agreed with that. Someone I was talking to said that.

My bad then

romain.star
08-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Jeannie Longo, 58 times France Champion and a gold medalist probably is more popular and respected than Tony Parker.

Alain Prost, multiple times Formula 1 Champion probably is more popular than Parker in France

Stephane Peterhansel, multiple winner of the Paris Dakar probably is more popular than Parker in France

Sebastien Loeb, multiple times rally Champion is probably more popular than Parker in France.

Even Nicolas Vouilloz and Anne Caroline Chausson, both multiple times world champions, are more popular than Parker in France.

They are (were) dominant in their sports, all of tem more 'frenchy' than basketball.

Uh, don't forget about Zizou..

Unless i missed something, Nicolas Vouilloz, Anne Caroline Chausson and Stéphane Peterhansel are far less popular than Parker!

thiste
08-09-2014, 02:41 PM
I'd say he's "the Basketball guy" in France, like, say, Michael Phelps is "the Swim guy" in the US. Basketball isn't a hugely mediatic sport in France so people know him but he doesn't get that much air time. He still does some ad campaigns.

Splits
08-09-2014, 03:05 PM
His grill is the first thing you see when arriving in the Zurich airport due to his Tissot sponsorship, fwiw.

PingPong
08-09-2014, 04:18 PM
The fucking Bernard Hinault is popular in France yet?

romain.star
08-10-2014, 01:32 AM

Depends which France you're talking about

will_spurs
08-10-2014, 10:22 AM

:lol

I don't even know who the last 2 are. Peterhansel is somewhat famous, but A LOT less than Tony Parker. Peterhansel wouldn't even make the top 100 of famous sports people in France.

As I said, Tony Parker is right now the favorite sportsperson in France. Period.

JohnnyMax
08-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Ask yourself this question: "What American playing sports in an overseas country is very popular?"

DAF86
08-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Ask yourself this question: "What American playing sports in an overseas country is very popular?"

None. The NBA is (by far) the most popular worldwide but still not very popular.

JohnnyMax
08-10-2014, 03:25 PM
Soccer players like Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan and Tim Howard, are very popular but no one watches them play in Europe.

You could say soccer is not that popular in America but neither is basketball in France. You could say they're not the best players in the world but neither is Tony Parker.

PingPong
08-10-2014, 06:16 PM
To be more acurate, the question should be "Is Parker the most popular athlete in France last week?" If France had won the world cup, if some french had won 'Le Tour', if some french driver had won a Formula 1 gp last week probably not. But the only frenchman to win something in the last months, Tony Parker is the most popular athlete right now.

:D

PingPong
08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
And Michael Jordan is the most popular american athlete by far. I don't think Le Bron is nowhere popular as Jordan is, even nowadays.

thiste
08-11-2014, 06:12 AM
As I said, Tony Parker is right now the favorite sportsperson in France. Period.

Nope. The most famous and favorite sportsperson in France right now is Zlatan.

Brazil
08-11-2014, 07:47 AM

He is the last French to have won the 3rd biggest sport event in the world so yeah he is freaking popular

Brazil
08-11-2014, 07:58 AM
i consider him like the top 3 sportman of all time in france (he needs to get top 3 spot next Olympic games or other international championship like world cup) to pass Zidane..and be 1st!

:lol he is not even close to be top 3 all time...

There are a lot of guys ahead of him in terms of all time popularity

Zidane / Platini
Noah (Tennis)
Serge Blanco
Prost
Loeb
Hinaut
Perec
Tabarly
Cerdan
Douillet / Rinert
Jean Claude Killy

Just on top of my head... I'm sure there are more

Brazil
08-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Nope. The most famous and favorite sportsperson in France right now is Zlatan.

:lmao... this one is awesome...

urunobili
08-11-2014, 08:27 AM
:lol he is not even close to be top 3 all time...

There are a lot of guys ahead of him in terms of all time popularity

Zidane / Platini
Noah (Tennis)
Serge Blanco
Prost
Loeb
Hinaut
Perec
Tabarly
Cerdan
Douillet / Rinert
Jean Claude Killy

Just on top of my head... I'm sure there are more

No Nelson Piquet? wtf?

Brazil
08-11-2014, 08:34 AM
No Nelson Piquet? wtf?

forgot he was French tbh

Mayhem321
08-11-2014, 09:37 AM
forgot he was French tbh

Probably because he isn't French :downspin:

Brazil
08-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Probably because he isn't French :downspin:

probably :lol

romain.star
08-11-2014, 10:27 AM
He is the last French to have won the 3rd biggest sport event in the world so yeah he is freaking popular

I'm not sure he is that popular. I mean, Poulidor is probably more popular than Hinault.

Brazil
08-11-2014, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure he is that popular. I mean, Poulidor is probably more popular than Hinault.

:lol of course he is that popular...

we are talking about the generation of our parents and even youngs that are following or practicing bike race. Hinaut is still present in the tour de France organisation as a VIP and still drains around him tons of people for autograph, interviews and such he is a force in that in the biking world. His declarations a couple of years ago about the young French generation that spend their time complaining instead of working their ass off... trolled the shit out of the media and people involved in that world. Dude is still selling books about him and his carreer. People don't give a shit about Poulidor opinions... Dude is seen as the eternal second guy, he is a nice character of the French sport but he has no impact whatsoever.

eric365
08-11-2014, 01:05 PM

Lance Armstrong had all his success in France and he was very popular in the US, no?

romain.star
08-11-2014, 01:19 PM
:lol of course he is that popular...

we are talking about the generation of our parents and even youngs that are following or practicing bike race. Hinaut is still present in the tour de France organisation as a VIP and still drains around him tons of people for autograph, interviews and such he is a force in that in the biking world. His declarations a couple of years ago about the young French generation that spend their time complaining instead of working their ass off... trolled the shit out of the media and people involved in that world. Dude is still selling books about him and his carreer. People don't give a shit about Poulidor opinions... Dude is seen as the eternal second guy, he is a nice character of the French sport but he has no impact whatsoever.

I totally agree with you. Hinault is one of the most respected sportsman in France. He is the only alive French Champion with 5 tours de France under his belt, so when he speaks, people listen.

But IMO Poulidor, as well as Anquetil, are much more anchored in the French popular culture. This was the golden era of French biking. Hinault was an amazing champion, probably the greatest French Biker ever but Poulidor vs Anquetil... it went beyong Sport

PingPong
08-11-2014, 02:15 PM
No Nelson Piquet? wtf?

No Ayrton Senna too.

:(

Brazil
08-11-2014, 03:54 PM
I totally agree with you. Hinault is one of the most respected sportsman in France. He is the only alive French Champion with 5 tours de France under his belt, so when he speaks, people listen.

But IMO Poulidor, as well as Anquetil, are much more anchored in the French popular culture. This was the golden era of French biking. Hinault was an amazing champion, probably the greatest French Biker ever but Poulidor vs Anquetil... it went beyong Sport

I see you mean... about Poulidor vs Anquetil. At that time you are right, popularity of Poulidor was off the chart and way above Hinault's popularity peak. It's very French to love the "beautiful losers" and the losing "panache". That's why Poulidor was and is more popular than Anquetil. In the long run tho Hinault is way more impactful... Hinault is the Jean Gabin to Poulidor Defunes.

Times are changing a bit... Parker is getting a lot of love for being a winner which is not very French.

lefty
08-11-2014, 03:56 PM
I think TP is not popular at Buttes Chaumont

Brazil
08-11-2014, 04:03 PM
No Ayrton Senna too.

:(

Ahhhh Ayrton Senna... Brazilians are still so emotional about Senna, it's quite incredible. He is with absolutely no contest the most popular figure in Brazil. I had to solve some business issues with Ayrton's family, dear god it was like walking on eggs. Don't ever mess in Brazil with Senna legend.

Funny part is that Senna was incredibly popular in France too. A good part of French people were almost rooting for him against Prost. Prost who is far from being stupid started saying his team was favoring Senna, that Senna was not clean etc etc... he built the image of Senna playing dirty to break the icone, popular opinion in France backed him up much more after these allegations.

I believe Prost image is still mixed in France... he is not very French like... calculator, absolutely not spectacular, no panache and he is a winner.

edit: lots of still

Diego20
08-11-2014, 04:24 PM
TP is really popular, he's not only a basketball player but also a singer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZcZJhSWz70

:lmao

romain.star
08-11-2014, 05:20 PM
I see you mean... about Poulidor vs Anquetil. At that time you are right, popularity of Poulidor was off the chart and way above Hinault's popularity peak. It's very French to love the "beautiful losers" and the losing "panache". That's why Poulidor was and is more popular than Anquetil. In the long run tho Hinault is way more impactful... Hinault is the Jean Gabin to Poulidor Defunes.

Times are changing a bit... Parker is getting a lot of love for being a winner which is not very French.

You are perfectly right. Substance over result.

I personnaly don't care much about who wins and looses. It won't change anything for me if the Spurs win a 6th ring, if JC Peraud wins next TDF or if France wins next Football Euro. Panache (France vs NZL in 2011 Rugby WC Final), beauty (Zidane vs Brazil in 2006 WC) and emotions (2013 Spurs-Heat game 6) is what i'm looking for as a Sport fan.

Hopefully the Spurs will deliver the whole package again next year!

romain.star
08-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Ahhhh Ayrton Senna... Brazilians are still so emotional about Senna, it's quite incredible. He is with absolutely no contest the most popular figure in Brazil. I had to solve some business issues with Ayrton's family, dear god it was like walking on eggs. Don't ever mess in Brazil with Senna legend.

Funny part is that Senna was incredibly popular in France too. A good part of French people were almost rooting for him against Prost. Prost who is far from being stupid started saying his team was favoring Senna, that Senna was not clean etc etc... he built the image of Senna playing dirty to break the icone, popular opinion in France backed him up much more after these allegations.

I believe Prost image is still mixed in France... he is not very French like... calculator, absolutely not spectacular, no panache and he is a winner.

edit: lots of still

In your opinion, Senna is more popular than Pelé, Socrates, Zico or Ronaldo?

Mayhem321
08-11-2014, 05:39 PM
Pelé is probably more popular... Senna is easily the most ''loved'' brazilian sports figure.

Baam
08-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Pelé is probably more popular... Senna is easily the most ''loved'' brazilian sports figure.

Yeah Pelé is pretty much a Brazilian Uncle Tom, always siding with the government against the people...

Brazil
08-11-2014, 06:18 PM

I like mayhem post he is more loved no doubt. He is as popular as pele IMO but yeah more loved. Socrates and zico are getting a bit forgotten I think by younger generations. They remember or talk more about the golden generation, best generation ever who never won a wc...

thiste
08-11-2014, 07:08 PM
:lmao... this one is awesome...

Quoi ? Ça se voit tant que ça que je supporte le PSG ? :D

Non mais c'est vrai, le sportif le plus médiatique en France depuis 1 an pour moi c'est Zlatan. Prove me wrong!

PingPong
08-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Yeah. Pele is the most known, Senna is the most loved. In Brazil, people says 'Pele with his mouth shut is a poet".

DMC
08-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Tony's new single "Is that a bottle in your eye or are you crying for me?" is huge over there.

lefty
08-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Nobody is more popular in France than the Chirac muppet from Les Guignols

Brazil
08-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Quoi ? Ça se voit tant que ça que je supporte le PSG ? :D

Non mais c'est vrai, le sportif le plus médiatique en France depuis 1 an pour moi c'est Zlatan. Prove me wrong!

For you PSG fan surely but for the rest of France :lol

romain.star
08-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Interesting... And what about Gustavo Kuerten and Robert Scheidt? Two immense champions in ''minor sports'' in Brazil. Are they somehow popular?

Brazil
08-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Interesting... And what about Gustavo Kuerten and Robert Scheidt? Two immense champions in ''minor sports'' in Brazil. Are they somehow popular?

Kuerten is quite popular, a lot of Brazilians like tennis and Brazil does not have a lot of champs so Kuerten is appreciated but nothing close to be Noah for French for instance.
As for Scheidt he is popular among maybe 5% of the population who like boats... that's about it tbh

Pauleta14
08-13-2014, 11:50 AM
For you PSG fan surely but for the rest of France :lol

They love him too...

lefty
08-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Zlatané !

Brazil
08-13-2014, 12:03 PM
They love him too...

:lol what the hell with PSG fan thinking France love one of their player... ?

funny as shit

Mayhem321
08-14-2014, 12:05 AM

Gustavo Kuerten was really popular back in the early's 2000... and he is still popular. He's really charismatic so that helps.

Robert Scheidt is nowhere near as popular as Guga. We basically remember he exists every four years during the olympic games because he might win a medal.

HI-FI
08-14-2014, 01:20 AM
Tony's new single "Is that a bottle in your eye or are you crying for me?" is huge over there.

actually a pretty good song. the Dieudonne remix is worth downloading imo.

ElNono
08-14-2014, 01:22 AM

Lady M
08-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Tony is in the top 50 most loved french people by le journal du dimache (46th) the only active sportsman. (Noah Yannick, Loeb Deschamps and Zidane are all retired).
Tony is popular.

housious
08-14-2014, 02:58 PM

fuck yo country clown

romain.star
08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
fuck yo country clown

That is, Sir, a very good idea

pikkiwoki
08-15-2014, 04:07 PM
haughty

ElNono
08-15-2014, 04:13 PM
He's pretty popular in Argentina....

Pauleta14
08-15-2014, 08:46 PM
:lol what the hell with PSG fan thinking France love one of their player... ?

funny as shit

Not any player...

FYI PSG sells thousands of Ibrahimovic jersey in.... Marseille!!!

The guy is charismatique and you can see all the opposite fans/footix rushing to get an autograph/picture when the team play on the road.

will_spurs
08-16-2014, 04:13 AM
Zlatan is quite famous in France (and for good reason), but he's not French and that means Parker will always be a lot more popular. Parker was already famous (appeared in lots of ads + wedding with Eva and so on) but he's reached another level because of the Euro Champ with the French NT.

pgardn
08-17-2014, 10:26 PM
This thread has long legs, too long, so this begs the questions:

Could Tony post up Hugo Lloris?

And, does Marine Le Pen (or whatever) have a vicious hook shot? Could she get it off against Ian Mahimi?
Would she even recognize Ian Mahimi in a pastry shop? Would she accuse him of being a giant Muslim if he did block her shot?