PDA

View Full Version : Roy Hibbert anyone?

Interrohater
08-11-2014, 09:09 AM
I don't pay attention to the contracts the way some of our more astute members do. Is this even possible if we traded someone like Splitter? He's making $14.5m/yr.
http://fansided.com/2014/08/10/pacers-offer-roy-hibbert-suns-trade-goran-dragic/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS
:wakeup

illusioNtEk
08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
splitter > hibbert

why the fuck would you want to trade splitter ?

Mikeanaro
08-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Thanks but no, last time when he trained with Duncan I thought dude could be a nice addition someday but I was so wrong...

Interrohater
08-11-2014, 09:15 AM
splitter > hibbert

why the fuck would you want to trade splitter ?

I feel like Roy Hibbert has more upside, that's really it. I will admit that I'm not much of a Tiago Splitter fan. although I think he's done an admirable job, I feel like it might be an upgrade. I'm also in Monday morning mode at work, so I'm not sure if my brain is functioning correctly yet. Just saw the article and was intrigued.

boutons_deux
08-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Hibbert's head wasn't right, as we saw in the playoffs, although the whole team had a head problem.

Interrohater
08-11-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm not so sure that we should judge him solely based on his poor performance in the playoffs. You guys don't think that he can get his head right here?

Dex
08-11-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm not so sure that we should judge him solely based on his poor performance in the playoffs. You guys don't think that he can get his head right here?

Could he? Possibly.

Is it worth giving up key assets (such as Splitter) just to find out? No way.

Interrohater
08-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Could he? Possibly.

Is it worth giving up key assets (such as Splitter) just to find out? No way.

Valid point. Splitter certainly proved himself in this year's playoffs as a perfect fit for this team as it is currently built. I suppose I was imagining the future. I also suppose that I'm hesitant to imagine Splitter will remain as effective, or more effective rather, without Timmy and Manu next year. Hibbert is a few years younger and could be a nice piece for the post-Duncan future.

buttsR4rebounding
08-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Wait until his contract runs out and see what it would take to sign him. I'm sure Duncan can tell the FO if he's worth pursuing.

FromWayDowntown
08-11-2014, 09:41 AM
The Hibbert implosion last season remains a mystery to me and one of the stranger things I've ever seen in the NBA. He's probably not really as good as he seemed at times during the 2013 playoffs and he's certainly not as bad as he seemed at times during the late 2014 season and playoffs. It is a little worrisome, if his drop off was purely mental/emotional, that he would be that fragile.

With that, I don't think that Hibbert at $15M and $15.5M (PO) for the next two seasons is preferable to Splitter at $9.25M/$8.5M/$8.25M over the next 3 seasons. Other than blocking shots, I don't think Hibbert does anything appreciably better than Splitter. Hibbert is relatively inefficient as a scorer for a big guy who gets most of his looks in close and, statistically, he's not an significantly better rebounder than Splitter (and Splitter is a much better defensive rebounder than Hibbert is).

Brunodf
08-11-2014, 09:42 AM
That Duncan/Hibbert frontline would be scary vs PnR teams...

lefty
08-11-2014, 09:50 AM
A mental midget?

No thanks

spursparker9
08-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I willing to give up Error for him

scanry
08-11-2014, 10:23 AM
That Duncan/Hibbert frontline would be scary vs PnR teams...

Two unathletic bigs on the court would kill the Spurs. Unlike Splitter, Hibbert is not agile and that's why teams like OKC & the Spurs kill them.

Malice
08-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Get out of here with that shit.

DrunkTXLabrat
08-11-2014, 10:43 AM

reconsider

BillMc
08-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Tiago is pretty good at defending perimeter bigs like Aldridge and Dirk (and would be useful on Kevin Love if we happen to have a Finals meeting with the Cavs). While Hibbert may recover his old form, I'd rather have the known quantity that is Splitter. If in a few years, Roy has settled down and become consistent we can look at him as a signing when he is a FA. Until then (and possibly beyond) I'm all for Tiago.

ambchang
08-11-2014, 10:55 AM
Hibbert is better than what he exhibited in the 2nd half and playoffs of last year.

That said, he doesn't fit with the Spurs that well. He is not mobile enough to cover shooting bigs (Dirk, Aldridge and the like), he is not even a decent passer for a big, he seems to be mentally fragile, he doesn't defend well, he can't shoot, he has a bad post up game for a guy his size.

Splitter is the much better fit on the Spurs, and seems like a better player at this point.

Interrohater
08-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Hibbert is better than what he exhibited in the 2nd half and playoffs of last year.

That said, he doesn't fit with the Spurs that well. He is not mobile enough to cover shooting bigs (Dirk, Aldridge and the like), he is not even a decent passer for a big, he seems to be mentally fragile, he doesn't defend well, he can't shoot, he has a bad post up game for a guy his size.

Splitter is the much better fit on the Spurs, and seems like a better player at this point.

All great points. Splitter is also a cheaper option. With Pop most likely not leaving the team after Timmy retires, this style of basketball the Spurs play will probably continue. While older, Splitter probably fills the positional need better than Hibbert would. And as Lefty said, a mental midget as well.

KL2
08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
People keep saying he's mentally weak but what about Splitter? He played well in the 1st and 2nd round, shit the bed as soon as Ibaka came back in the OKC series, disappeared these finals, same guy that couldn't exploit post up mismatches last years finals with midgets guarding him. W/out TD there goes SA's only consistent post presence, I'd take Hibbert over Splitter in a heart beat.

Hibbert is surrounded by bad teammates, he'd thrive with SA and would help SA rebuild.

cd021
08-11-2014, 11:54 AM
Hibbert and a 2016 1st rounder for Splitter and we can talk.

Don't think Hibberts a lost cause but I think it would be too much work to incorporate him into the offense at this point. Maybe after next season if he (foolishly) opts out.

cd021
08-11-2014, 11:57 AM
People keep saying he's mentally weak but what about Splitter? He played well in the 1st and 2nd round, shit the bed as soon as Ibaka came back in the OKC series, disappeared these finals, same guy that couldn't exploit post up mismatches last years finals with midgets guarding him. W/out TD there goes SA's only consistent post presence, I'd take Hibbert over Splitter in a heart beat.

Hibbert is surrounded by bad teammates, he'd thrive with SA and would help SA rebuild.

Splitter played well in the Finals this year (3rd highest net rating behind Leonard and Mills) and only struggled against OKC.

Hibbert could help the rebuild but could be had as a FA.

jARS mEsH sEt
08-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Hibbert has more offensive upside in the post but Splitter is proven defensively and he's better at being the pick man which figures prominently within the spurs offense.

Old School 44
08-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Talent-wise Hibbert's not bad, but I just think he's got a bad attitude. I always get the impression he thinks he's a lot better than he is.

Emperor
08-11-2014, 12:48 PM
If you're even considering Hibbert for Splitter OP then you haven't watched much of either this past season/playoffs.

T Park
08-11-2014, 12:52 PM
If the spurs were interested if be for it 100%

eric365
08-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Maybe Hibbert would help the spurs more than splitter

But the spurs looked as dominant as any championship team in recent years. Why mess up with that?

Chinook
08-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Splitter is better than Hibbert. He was better the season before last as well, even though Roy was getting all the hype. Hibbert at his best is an elite rim-protector who can score enough and hit the offensive boards well enough to carry his weight on that end. Splitter at his best is an elite rim-protector, PnR defender and man defender who can also be an offensive anchor with his scoring, rebounding and passing.

No way would I trade Tiago for Roy, especially not straight up. The only things Roy does better is block shots and shoot from midrange. In every other way, Splitter wins.

Sean Cagney
08-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Get out of here with that shit.

^^^^

Budkin
08-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Hibbert is done.

BatManu20
08-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Not happening.

timtonymanu
08-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Splitter is better than Hibbert. He was better the season before last as well, even though Roy was getting all the hype. Hibbert at his best is an elite rim-protector who can score enough and hit the offensive boards well enough to carry his weight on that end. Splitter at his best is an elite rim-protector, PnR defender and man defender who can also be an offensive anchor with his scoring, rebounding and passing.

No way would I trade Tiago for Roy, especially not straight up. The only things Roy does better is block shots and shoot from midrange. In every other way, Splitter wins.

The goods per par. It's amazing people on here still underrate Tiago.

By the way :lol at a Roy Hibbert thread. Really, guys?

timtonymanu
08-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Bad take, wow.

PingPong
08-11-2014, 02:12 PM
With a boosted confidence, Splitter will play better next season. I don't think trading him for Hibbert is a good thing because the Spurs will need to give some more assets alongside Splitter. I'd take LaMarcus Aldridge over Hibbert.

Leetonidas
08-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Some of you think Splitter is too soft and you want this cream puff on the team? :lmao

LMAO 0 points and 0 rebounds in a playoff game :lol

SupremeGuy
08-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Wait until his contract runs out and see what it would take to sign him. I'm sure Duncan can tell the FO if he's worth pursuing.This, tbh.

florige
08-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Hibbert is done.

Hibbert had that one good year and fizzled out. That's too bad because I always thought he would be better than Oden while he was at GT when everyone was hyping Oden up as the next Mutumbo. Well he did turn out better than Oden but that's not saying much.

Holden_Caulfield
08-11-2014, 03:01 PM
is he better than ayres?

PingPong
08-11-2014, 03:44 PM
is he better than ayres?

Tradeable... Ayers + Daye + 10 used balls for Hibbert.

TheGreatYacht
08-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Spurstalk ideal players: Luc Richard Mbah a Mute, Sarunas Jasikevicius, Nando De Colo, Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Xabi Rey, Jeff Pendergraph, Rasho Nesterovic, Softis Eurobignovic

Spurstalk user NO-NO's: All stars, future hall of famers, and anyone tough and athletic.

PingPong
08-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Spurstalk user NO-NO's: All stars, future hall of famers, and anyone tough and athletic.

Who's that tough and athletic?

anakha
08-11-2014, 06:18 PM

The only category you mentioned that Hibbert falls into is All-Star, and the East having shit in terms of All-Star big men is as much to blame as anything else for that.

100%duncan
08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Nope. That salary and player is abysmal.

FuzzyLumpkins
08-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Splitter played well in the Finals this year (3rd highest net rating behind Leonard and Mills) and only struggled against OKC.

Hibbert could help the rebuild but could be had as a FA.

He was remarkable against Dirk and Aldridge. Basketball is a game of matchups.

hooperflash
08-11-2014, 10:06 PM
I willing to give up Error for him

I'm coming home, I'm coming home.
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/04/10/04-10-2013-jeff-pendergraph2-x-large.jpg

cd021
08-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Hibbert had that one good year and fizzled out. That's too bad because I always thought he would be better than Oden while he was at GT when everyone was hyping Oden up as the next Mutumbo. Well he did turn out better than Oden but that's not saying much.

More of a 12 game stretch in the '13 playoffs. He is 7'2 and has a career shooting percentage of 46.9% Never has been great on the glass either.

james evans
08-12-2014, 01:23 PM
Hibbert's head wasn't right, as we saw in the playoffs, although the whole team had a head problem.
your head wouldn't be right either if you played on a team with george and stephenson taking 48 minutes of bad shots, but at the end of the game you're getting blamed for being soft while no plays are ran for u. After last year's ECF, paul george started to believe his own hype and he was gunning this year. there were games in which hibbert wouldn't even shoot 4 baskets. How does he go from looking like shaq against the heat last year when they were playing thru him, to this year not even touching the ball most games?

mavsfan1000
08-12-2014, 05:42 PM
The difference is their mentality. Hibbert wants to score. Splitter wants to be a team player. And Splitter probably is quicker as well.

Agloco
08-13-2014, 11:51 AM
The Hibbert implosion last season remains a mystery to me and one of the stranger things I've ever seen in the NBA. He's probably not really as good as he seemed at times during the 2013 playoffs and he's certainly not as bad as he seemed at times during the late 2014 season and playoffs. It is a little worrisome, if his drop off was purely mental/emotional, that he would be that fragile.

With that, I don't think that Hibbert at $15M and $15.5M (PO) for the next two seasons is preferable to Splitter at $9.25M/$8.5M/$8.25M over the next 3 seasons. Other than blocking shots, I don't think Hibbert does anything appreciably better than Splitter. Hibbert is relatively inefficient as a scorer for a big guy who gets most of his looks in close and, statistically, he's not an significantly better rebounder than Splitter (and Splitter is a much better defensive rebounder than Hibbert is).

/thread

Interrohater
08-13-2014, 02:15 PM
/thread

Agreed :lol