PDA

View Full Version : Greg Monroe anyone?

MANUNG-Ginobili
08-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Sources say that he's going to sign the qualifying offer from Pistons, play-out the final year of his rookie contract and will become a free agent next year..it seems that he dislike playing for the Pistons now, and Pistons FO is so dumb when traded signed Josh Smith knowing that Smith, Monroe and Drummond won't co-exist with each other..

I know it's still a year but what do you think of him playing for the Spurs? would he be a great fit for the team post-Duncan era? Do we have the cap to sign him next year?

thoughts?

exstatic
08-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Thoughts? Stop trying to use HTML tags. That's a thought.

dabom
08-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Greg sucks. Worse than cancer.

Russ
08-12-2014, 09:21 PM
I thought he wrote for the Express-News.

cd021
08-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Would probably have to trade Splitter for him.

cjw
08-12-2014, 09:29 PM
His QO is like $100k more than the midlevel exception. That's the most we could offer him and there's no way in hell he'd sign a that offer sheet for more than one year, as Detroit would certainly match it. Let's all move on from this.

lmbebo
08-13-2014, 07:22 AM
His QO is like $100k more than the midlevel exception. That's the most we could offer him and there's no way in hell he'd sign a that offer sheet for more than one year, as Detroit would certainly match it. Let's all move on from this.

He's talking about next summer when he'll be an unrestricted FA...

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-13-2014, 08:32 AM
Some idiot GM will offer him the max next summer. It won't be RC. The Spurs will have only the MLE next summer to work with.

FireMicoHalili
08-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Thoughts? Stop trying to use HTML tags. That's a thought.
wow this was totally necessary

Richie
08-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Some idiot GM will offer him the max next summer. It won't be RC. The Spurs will have only the MLE next summer to work with.

Far too may variables to work with relating to Manu and Timmy. We could have a max if Timmy and Manu retire, $10-$15m if they both come back and take pay cuts or the MLE if they don't take cuts.

I don't see Monroe working with Splitter because he doesn't have a jump shot, and he isn't a good enough rim protector to play with Diaw. Really, I don't see how he fits here

elemento
08-13-2014, 10:44 AM
He is a homeless Al Jefferson. The main problem with Centers that offer only low-post scoring with terrible defense is the fact that they need the right environment to succeed. Greg Monroe needs to play with a defensive anchor PF that can shoot a bit (a least a mid-range jump-shot). The only teams that I see as decent fits are OKC and the Pelicans.

Perry Mason
08-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Wasn't there just an article on Grantland about how guys like Monroe are a dying breed, because they are good scorers in the paint, but otherwise cannot strectch the floor and are not tall/fast enough to be good rim protectors. Consequently, they are more likely to be a net minus for a good team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-13-2014, 02:39 PM
Far too may variables to work with relating to Manu and Timmy. We could have a max if Timmy and Manu retire, $10-$15m if they both come back and take pay cuts or the MLE if they don't take cuts.

I don't see Monroe working with Splitter because he doesn't have a jump shot, and he isn't a good enough rim protector to play with Diaw. Really, I don't see how he fits here

I don't see Tim or Manu retiring barring serious injuries. I'd imagine Tim will take a manu-like deal - 2yrs/15mil and Manu would take something like 2yrs/9mil. Add Tony's extension and Kawhi's new contract, possibly re-signing Green and the Spurs will be right at or around the cap. I don't imagine the Spurs using cap space before signing Kawhi and pushing towards luxury tax.

Re: Monroe - totally agree with you.

G-Dawgg
08-13-2014, 03:17 PM
I actually like Monroe. He's no scrub. He's a legit 7 footer, good post scorer, and a very good passing big man. Big men with passing skills can prosper in the Spurs system.

Chinook
08-13-2014, 04:17 PM
I don't see Tim or Manu retiring barring serious injuries. I'd imagine Tim will take a manu-like deal - 2yrs/15mil and Manu would take something like 2yrs/9mil. Add Tony's extension and Kawhi's new contract, possibly re-signing Green and the Spurs will be right at or around the cap. I don't imagine the Spurs using cap space before signing Kawhi and pushing towards luxury tax.

Re: Monroe - totally agree with you.

I think if the Spurs use most of their cap space on short deals like the ones you have Tim and Manu taking, they'll definitely be willing to go over the cap with Kawhi's contract. The only risk they run by doing to is to be caught up in a situations where their contracts are growing faster than the cap (which is how it usually works). If the Spurs spend $20 Million on a four-year contract, I think that would be a risk. But if they get to wipe $12 Million off the books after 2017, I don't think they'll approach the tax.

The real issue is that I don't think the Spurs would want to go under the cap for just $8 Million. I think they'd rather give Green is market value and hold onto their exceptions unless someone they really like wants to join them like AK last year.

cjw
08-13-2014, 05:51 PM
He's talking about next summer when he'll be an unrestricted FA...

But even then, I don't see the team having massive cap space next summer if the Kawhi extension goes into effect early.

Raven
08-14-2014, 07:48 AM
it would be by far the best free agency acquisition the spurs have ever done since... well, since a long time... I wanted to open a thread like that tbh, it's just too good of a fit to look any other way.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-14-2014, 08:06 AM
it would be by far the best free agency acquisition the spurs have ever done since... well, since a long time... I wanted to open a thread like that tbh, it's just too good of a fit to look any other way.

Shouldn't it be in blue font?

Raven
08-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Shouldn't it be in blue font?

nop, i stand by it.

dabom
08-14-2014, 09:31 AM

Since RJ? They remind of each other. Both can't play defense for sht.

Raven
08-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Since RJ? They remind of each other. Both can't play defense for sht.

What makes you think that tbh, i'd like to open a debate about that... Let's start with the fact that he is a center and he played pf last year and that drummond is worse than him defensively, these are facts. Now let's talk opinions... You start.

Richie
08-14-2014, 10:04 AM

No jumpshot and poor rim protection means he can't play with either Tiago or Boris. He'd even struggle with Timmy because he isn't a very good pick and roll defender either. He's a horrible fit for the Spurs.

Raven
08-14-2014, 10:17 AM
No jumpshot and poor rim protection means he can't play with either Tiago or Boris. He'd even struggle with Timmy because he isn't a very good pick and roll defender either. He's a horrible fit for the Spurs.

i'm talking after timmy retires, playing the center spot, he is the perfect complement to tiago and boris when coming from under the rim on pick and rolls, those two are good or fantastic on guarding the pick and roll, what they need is someone who boxes out and grabs the rebound and is fast enough to cover the lane. Greg is perfect for that, now if you thought you needed a monkey to make blocks or whatever in that situation, well i disagree, brains are much more important and Greg is a very smart player. Offensively he is the player that reminds more of timmy than any other in the league.

FireMicoHalili
08-14-2014, 10:53 AM
homeless Al Jefferson