PDA

View Full Version : Spurs To Raise 5th Banner Against Mavs

BatManu20
08-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Cubes is going to love this.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
08-13-2014, 01:02 PM
I wish we could have done it against those faggots from OKC.

TampaDude
08-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Getting ready to book those flights...San Antonio, here I come! :toast

illusioNtEk
08-13-2014, 01:03 PM
yea same here... or in front of the Clippers lol

Robz4000
08-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Wish it was the Lakers tbh. Wanted a guaranteed win.

lefty
08-13-2014, 01:07 PM
:lol Cuban

BatManu20
08-13-2014, 01:11 PM

We play them at home on Christmas Day if it's any consolation.

urunobili
08-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Dallas will with a vengeance and win the game now :(

TampaDude
08-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Dallas will with a vengeance and win the game now :(

Won't matter...we'll still be the champs. :hat

xmas1997
08-13-2014, 01:18 PM
No, Cuban deserves this humiliation, and if they could do it on the "River Walk", which he constantly maligns, it would be even better.
:lol

ElNono
08-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Full circle... Mavs were, after all, the team that got us ready for the final push...

I also think Carlisle will appreciate being there. He has always been a big fan of Pop, and a class act.

Spur|n|Austin
08-13-2014, 01:24 PM
It's gonna take me or someone close to me dying to prevent me from getting tickets to this game.

yea same here... or in front of the Clippers lol

Why in front of the Clippers?

illusioNtEk
08-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Why in front of the Clippers?

CP3 and his quest to get a ring. With a banner raised in front of his eyes will further his hunger

barakz21
08-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Cubes is going to love this.

Speaking of cubes, does he always watch the mavs even when they play on the road? I know he does during playoffs, but does he do that in the regular season as well?

barakz21
08-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Wish it was the Lakers tbh. Wanted a guaranteed win.

Dont forget about sticking it to kobe

dabom
08-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Dont forget about sticking it to kobe

Tim Duncan could trash talk kobe about him having more MVPs and FMVPs.

Dex
08-13-2014, 01:55 PM
http://i.minus.com/i6Ly201OjQ0Eh.gif

BatManu20
08-13-2014, 01:58 PM
According to the source, the Cavs were initially supposed to open the season on the road against the NBA champion San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/sas/), where James' season and career with the Miami Heat (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/mia/) ended. Instead, he and fellow newcomer Kevin Love, who will officially join Cleveland later this month after the trade involving Andrew Wiggins (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5292/) is completed, will play host to New York.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cavs-open-season-at-home-vs--knicks-173526904.html

Brazil
08-13-2014, 02:01 PM

nah... mavs are the best choice tbh

nothing better than a local rival seeing dat banner raising :lol

BatManu20
08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
nah... mavs are the best choice tbh

nothing better than a local rival seeing dat banner raising :lol

Agreed, although I wouldn't have minded the Cavs.

cd98
08-13-2014, 04:17 PM
Cuban picked the Spurs to beat the Heat and said he preferred the Spurs to win. Rivalry aside, I actually do think Cuban secretly likes the Spurs. He has tried to model his franchise like the Spurs, which is why he was able to win a championship out of it. Plus, he was spurned hardcore in his efforts to sign the big name free agents. I think he prefers to see those guys lose to moneyball teams.

TheyCallMePro
08-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I agree 100% with what Jason Whitlock just said on PTI, which was that the Spurs and Pop needed to check their ego and just go play @Cavs for the NBA season opener. Ratings would have been through the roof, and the NBA would have been better off for it. It would have caused controversy, bad blood, and created a fierce rivalry between the best 2 teams in the NBA right off the bat. What more could you ask for?

Instead it looks like the Spurs said "NO!", and the NBA said "Okay..." What a shame. Sometimes this franchise is just too strict. No wonder nobody likes us.

timtonymanu
08-13-2014, 05:00 PM
I agree 100% with what Jason Whitlock just said on PTI, which was that the Spurs and Pop needed to check their ego and just go play @Cavs for the NBA season opener. Ratings would have been through the roof, and the NBA would have been better off for it. It would have caused controversy, bad blood, and created a fierce rivalry between the best 2 teams in the NBA right off the bat. What more could you ask for?

Instead it looks like the Spurs said "NO!", and the NBA said "Okay..." What a shame. Sometimes this franchise is just too strict. No wonder nobody likes us.

What an odd post. The Spurs aren't the Pacers. The Spurs didn't have to be fierce to win the title last season. Why should they be now?

crc21209
08-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Ummm...the champs deserve to start at home, raise their banner, and receive their rings. End of story..

TheyCallMePro
08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
I counted 25 National TV games for the Spurs this season. Not bad, but it could/should be higher. And that includes about 10 games on NBAtv, which nobody watches.

murpjf88
08-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Bitch of a schedule to end the season.

xmas1997
08-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Poetic justice.

EVAY
08-13-2014, 05:37 PM

All the things you listed that would result from SA opening @Cavs (controversy, bad blood, fierce rivalry, etc. etc.) is the very antithesis of Spurs Basketball.

The nation LOVED watching the Spurs Team ball last year. THAT is what makes the NBA better off. And that is what those of us that are basketball fans (as opposed to WWF matches) ask for all the time.

The Spurs play a 'beautiful game". That is what the Spurs sell. What more could you ask for?

KaiRMD1
08-13-2014, 06:24 PM
CP3 and his quest to get a ring. With a banner raised in front of his eyes will further his hunger

At this point ol' sport's quest is trying to get past the second round

manufan10
08-13-2014, 06:25 PM

The Spurs don't care about ratings. When have they ever cared about ratings? If you and Whitlock want to create bad blood between the Spurs and the Cavs then the Spurs should have opened up at home against the Cavs. The Spurs getting their rings and raising their championship banner would better fuel the fire of a "rivalry" than the Spurs going to Cleveland. The Spurs wouldn't have cared. Only the fans would have cared.

Strange Love
08-13-2014, 06:30 PM
Appropiate. A texas affair.

BatManu20
08-13-2014, 06:51 PM

100%duncan
08-13-2014, 06:58 PM

Running for dat worst poster award?

SayTown
08-13-2014, 07:16 PM
James is probably the one who told the NBA no to playing the Spurs on banner night

Budkin
08-13-2014, 07:48 PM
Getting ready to book those flights...San Antonio, here I come! :toast

You're going? Sweet my buddy is flying in from Chicago and I'm going as well (I live in Austin).

ismael-robert
08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if not a good game worth seeing. Spurs play best ball at end of season. Not like us to reveal new strategies first game. Pop will be experimenting with line ups vs new mavs

TampaDude
08-13-2014, 08:30 PM
You're going? Sweet my buddy is flying in from Chicago and I'm going as well (I live in Austin).

Oh hell yeah! I want to see them get their rings and raise that fifth banner in person!

Also gonna see if my friend from Dallas can make it down for the game. He's a big Mavs fan, so it should be a good time.

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?

jsandiego
08-13-2014, 08:30 PM
WCF preview tbh

UZER
08-13-2014, 08:38 PM

:lol typical. The champs should and deserve to open at home every year, unless it's the Spurs. Then they should "check their ego" and bow to LeBron.

ismael-robert
08-13-2014, 08:40 PM
They could care less if they lose game 1 of 82

Perry Mason
08-13-2014, 09:43 PM
The Spurs don't care about ratings. When have they ever cared about ratings? If you and Whitlock want to create bad blood between the Spurs and the Cavs then the Spurs should have opened up at home against the Cavs. The Spurs getting their rings and raising their championship banner would better fuel the fire of a "rivalry" than the Spurs going to Cleveland. The Spurs wouldn't have cared. Only the fans would have cared.

I agree, but let's not cede the ratings point. The 2014 Finals had great ratings and exceeded last year. No bad blood necessary. Just redemption.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11093667/nba-finals-2014-television-ratings-finals-last-season

Ice009
08-13-2014, 10:25 PM

Huh? I didn't think that the Spurs actually get a say in it?

Assman
08-14-2014, 02:55 AM
Jason Whitlock can suck a dick.

Brazil
08-14-2014, 08:29 AM

wtf ?

Defending champ is totally entitled to raise his fucking banner at home in front of his fans for the opener

Would the Spurs have accepted that I would have considered it as a pussy move...

Budkin
08-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Oh hell yeah! I want to see them get their rings and raise that fifth banner in person!

Also gonna see if my friend from Dallas can make it down for the game. He's a big Mavs fan, so it should be a good time.

I actually chatted with a ticket agent on NBA.com yesterday and he told me it would be about two weeks.

manufan10
08-14-2014, 02:59 PM
wtf ?

Defending champ is totally entitled to raise his fucking banner at home in front of his fans for the opener

Would the Spurs have accepted that I would have considered it as a pussy move...

I agree. It's a stupid argument. As I said earlier, if they really wanted to push the Cavs/Spurs as a rivalry and a "bad blood" angle then the Cavs should have opened up on the road against the Spurs for the ring ceremony. The other way around just doesn't make sense. Why would the Spurs care about opening on the road against the Cavs?

Seventyniner
08-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I would have liked to see Spurs @ Cavs on October 30 as the Cavs' season opener, with Mavs @ Spurs on October 28 (ring ceremony) as scheduled.

ismael-robert
08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't wanna c ne of those games till later in season when they really start playing and have some of the other teams video to watch n make an actual strategy

Dex
08-14-2014, 04:51 PM
I agree. It's a stupid argument. As I said earlier, if they really wanted to push the Cavs/Spurs as a rivalry and a "bad blood" angle then the Cavs should have opened up on the road against the Spurs for the ring ceremony. The other way around just doesn't make sense. Why would the Spurs care about opening on the road against the Cavs?

It's basically impossible to carry a rivalry across conferences with the limited number of times the teams play each year anyways, unless each team is making the Finals every year. Spurs and Cavs both look good on paper, but its far from guaranteed that even one of them will make it this year, let alone both. Making the defending champs open on the road to try to fan a one-player rivalry would be dumb.

look_at_g_shred
08-14-2014, 05:00 PM

21st of August i'm seeing.

jag
08-14-2014, 06:07 PM
No, Cuban deserves this humiliation, and if they could do it on the "River Walk", which he constantly maligns, it would be even better.

How exactly would they raise a championship banner on the Riverwalk?

xmas1997
08-14-2014, 06:44 PM

"if they could"

CaptainLate
08-14-2014, 07:30 PM
Poetic justice.

Tim Cowlishaw wrote: "Titles are hard to come by, Barney. The NBA championship is the hardest to win because it is based more solely on talent than the NFL, NHL, MLB where team chemistry, coaching, luck and other factors get a little more heavy involvement. The team with the great players wins in the NBA (and that's not to say the Spurs don't have great chemistry, but that team was loaded with nine very good players that performed night after night in the post-season). So to answer your question, I could see this team improving by four or five wins (that's not bad) and getting into the top four in the West and having home court for the first round. Hard to figure out what it's going to take to get to the Spurs' or OKC's level but let's see how the season goes, what injuries factor into the equation, etc."

benefactor
08-14-2014, 07:33 PM
Sweet. Since it's in the middle of the week Mrs. benefactor and I might just take a week off of work and make a mini vacation out of it.

spurraider21
08-14-2014, 07:33 PM

"if they could"
its an allegory, aka fiction

xmas1997
08-14-2014, 08:13 PM

jag
08-14-2014, 09:06 PM
"if they could"

I'm just trying to figure out how he envisions such a thing happening in this fantasy of his.

Would you raise said banner into the air, possibly over the water, where it would just float? Is there no gravity in your dream? Would there be some structure constructed to support the banner? If you raise the banner outside, it would need to be replaced frequently due to the elements. Rain and wind and whatnot. Don't forget that.

I just want a glimpse into your fantasy, that's all.

ElNono
08-14-2014, 09:25 PM
This is gonna be on TNT, right?

BatManu20
08-14-2014, 10:14 PM
This is gonna be on TNT, right?

Correct. TNT double-header with the Lakers-Rockets following.

ElNono
08-14-2014, 10:17 PM
Correct. TNT double-header with the Lakers-Rockets following.

:tu

wildcardX
08-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Why can't the Cavs come to San Antonio to play? The Spurs are the champs after all. I mean what more do the Cavs want? They got the #1 pick, they got Lebron, they got their trade for Love, now they want to open at home against the Spurs. It's like gimme, gimme, gimme. I would give the Cavs, the NBA, and Lebron the same answer:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417JWNk2t7L._SX342_.jpghttp://assets.audiomack.com/westcoast-rob/f83839ca1d1d39337ffe6f5b3a51c2ed.jpeghttp://cdn2.cagepotato.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Brittney-Palmer-3.jpg