PDA

View Full Version : Will Kawhi have a shot at MIP?

BillMc
08-16-2014, 05:23 AM
During the doldrums of summer, I wondered if Leonard might have an outside shot at Most Improved Player next year? With his Finals MVP sort of elevating Kawhi's status within the team and Pop's admitted "it's our [the coaching staff's] responsibility to use him more" might Leonard receive/take more shot opportunities this year and with the resultant rise in his scoring, give him a shot at MIP?

My guess is if his usage rate rises, he'll get some votes, but probably some guy you never heard of who becomes a starter will take the award. That said when Boris won it with Phoenix he was already a semi well-known player (from his Atlanta days) who simply upped his game, so there is some precedent.

exstatic
08-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Boris was actually considered a draft bust when ATL shipped him out. That's how he was 'semi well-known'.

Very few Spurs players have any shot at a media voted award during the regular season.

admiralsnackbar
08-16-2014, 07:14 AM
It's a bit of a useless laurel unless the Spurs win... in which case it's a bit of a useless laurel.

BillMc
08-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Boris was actually considered a draft bust when ATL shipped him out. That's how he was 'semi well-known'.

Very few Spurs players have any shot at a media voted award during the regular season.

Alas, you might be right.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-16-2014, 08:43 AM
He won't have the stats to qualify for such an award. They will probably try to increase his usage rate a bit but I find it unlikely we'll see a significant statistical difference. Besides, people here tend to overrate his offensive ability.

Spursfanfromafar
08-16-2014, 08:46 AM
Would be reaching for too low an accolade, if Kawhi tries to get to MIP. Methinks, Kawhi should keep his horizons higher. Perhaps Pop could make him the focal point of the offense. That would be fun.

Obstructed_View
08-16-2014, 09:08 AM
FMVP is the only individual award that matters. I hope the Spurs win a few more of those.

spursparker9
08-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Playing under Pop, Kawhi has no chance of winning any award other than FMVP and All-Defensive team

Raven
08-16-2014, 09:52 AM
outside shot, considering how famous he is, it's not impossible.

Captivus
08-16-2014, 02:07 PM
I dont see it.
I mean, it would mean he is better than last years FMVP!

Seventyniner
08-16-2014, 02:13 PM
This award is almost always given to someone who posts a big statistical improvement, in per-game totals and not per-36. It also skews heavily towards scoring. So if Kawhi gets up to 22-23 PPG he has a good shot, but I don't see Pop making Kawhi's scoring that much of a priority.

will_spurs
08-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Kawhi should be aiming for an All-Star berth next season (+ a second All-Defensive nomination), not for MIP. As a Finals MVP he's already way too good to ever be considered for the MIP award.

eric365
08-16-2014, 06:44 PM

Pop just won COY again. Manu was 3rd for 6MOTY this year and won it before
George Hill finished 2nd for MIP in 2010

Duncan should have won at least one DPOY but for the rest, I don't think the spurs are getting screwed by the media.

Mnky
08-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Playing under Pop, Kawhi has no chance of winning any award other than FMVP and All-Defensive team

Duncan might have something to say about that. :hat

MultiTroll
08-16-2014, 07:35 PM

This.
The Media awards are made by media. So plan on a dumbfuck choice made 70% of the time.

FireMicoHalili
08-16-2014, 08:02 PM
If he sustains his Finals production, yes. As an aside though, he won't need it, the strides he made were enough to push the Spurs to a title. FMVP somehow seems like it included MIP, for Kawhi's case at least. He had some horrible 6/15, 5/12 performances earlier last season, I was a bit worried at that point he might have been too trigger-happy. Glad Pop continued to trust him.