PDA

View Full Version : Cavs: Marion signs with Cavs

Michael Jordan.
08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Per stein

mavsfan1000
08-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Good signing. Lebron doesn't have to play too many minutes.

Clipper Nation
08-17-2014, 10:23 AM
Another year of Dudley and Barnes for us :bang

DMX7
08-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Damn, I get the sense this team is custom built to beat us. marion always gives us trouble with his defense.

TDMVPDPOY
08-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Damn, I get the sense this team is custom built to beat us. marion always gives us trouble with his defense.

he hasnt done shit

DMX7
he hasnt done shit

He locked down TP pretty well.

100%duncan

Thank god it's 2014.

scanry
08-17-2014, 10:35 AM

He's gonna be 37 come playoffs.

baseline bum
08-17-2014, 10:37 AM
God damn, Marion for minimum is a fucking steal. How many guys capable of giving 25-30 quality minutes a night are you getting with $1.5 million?

tmtcsc
08-17-2014, 10:48 AM
God damn, Marion for minimum is a fucking steal. How many guys capable of giving 25-30 quality minutes a night are you getting with $1.5 million?

Lol, if your team neads 25-30 quality minutes from Marion, you're going to lose. I don't care who Lebron recruits, if the Spurs enter the playoffs healthy, we're winning the chip again. God bless those little Cavs though, they're trying.

DMX7
08-17-2014, 10:49 AM
He's gonna be 37 come playoffs.

So. How old is Tim Duncan?

baseline bum
08-17-2014, 10:52 AM
It's crazy 5-7 years ago LeBron couldn't get anyone to go to Cleveland even when they had capspace. Now they land an A-level big man in Love, one of the 3 or 4 best shooters in the game on a heavy discount in Miller, and a versitale 4 who can play some 3 on a minimum deal in Marion. Minimum deals are supposed to get you the Greg Stiemsma's of the world, not guys who can contribute as major parts of a playoff team's rotation. I really don't see how anyone beats Cleveland in the East unless Waiters acts like an entitled bitch again. Which I don't see, as James is going to take so much pressure away from him and the media narrative will be about him growing up and sacrificing to be a more efficient player in order to win.

baseline bum
08-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Lol, if your team neads 25-30 quality minutes from Marion, you're going to lose. I don't care who Lebron recruits, if the Spurs enter the playoffs healthy, we're winning the chip again. God bless those little Cavs though, they're trying.

He played 32 minutes a night for Dallas and they were a quality team in 2014. Man, you're acting like titles are easy. I mean the Spurs have a roster without any real holes, but a lot can happen in an NBA season.

Michael Jordan.
08-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Mavs losing Marion and Carter gonna hurt.

scanry
08-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Tim is a big. Guards don't age that well and especially on the defensive end. You should know cause we saw the uglier side of Bruce Bowen in 2009.

Henrik Sedin
08-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Tim is a big. Guards don't age that well and especially on the defensive end. You should know cause we saw the uglier side of Bruce Bowen in 2009.

Since when do bigs age well?

Splits
08-17-2014, 11:31 AM
Another year of Dudley and Barnes for us :bang

Nah, there's still plenty of SFs to choose from: Michael Beasley, Hedo Turkoglu, Francisco Garcia, Rashard Lewis, John Salmons, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Ronnie Brewer, Donte Greene, Chris Singleton, Rasual Butler, Josh Howard, Stephen Jackson, Damion James, Adonis Thomas, Ryan Gomes

:lol Clippers

DMX7
08-17-2014, 11:35 AM

I also saw Marion play last season, and he was good against Parker. Besides, Bowen was never the athlete Marion was. Even if Marion has a lost a lot, he is still a decent athlete.

Clipper Nation
08-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Nah, there's still plenty of SFs to choose from: Michael Beasley, Hedo Turkoglu, Francisco Garcia, Rashard Lewis, John Salmons, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Ronnie Brewer, Donte Greene, Chris Singleton, Rasual Butler, Josh Howard, Stephen Jackson, Damion James, Adonis Thomas, Ryan Gomes

:lol Clippers
Sadly, a frightening amount of those scrubs have already played for us :lol

Cry Havoc
08-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Cavs are now above Bulls for Finals contention I think. they're just too versatile with the last couple of signings. They can now reliably run Irving, Waiters (or even Miller), Marion, LeBron, and Love at any point. That's a really, really solid unit with some options to give them matchup flexibility.

Malik Hairston
08-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Marion was awful last year, he has virtually nothing left in the tank as a rotation player, tbh..he's a solid 8th/9th man, but he shouldn't be one of your top 6-7 guys, at this point..

He's just an average defender and a below average offensive player nowadays..he'll need to have a massive rejuvenation to reestablish himself as a key player on a contender..

NBA fans/media are enamoured with names, rather than actual production, it has always been the case, tbh..see: Granger, Butler last year..

tmtcsc
08-17-2014, 12:22 PM
He played 32 minutes a night for Dallas and they were a quality team in 2014. Man, you're acting like titles are easy. I mean the Spurs have a roster without any real holes, but a lot can happen in an NBA season.

I don't mean to imply titles are easy but I do hold out that the Spurs were caught off guard by the Mavs in the playoffs. I don't believe they played with the necessary respect or fear against them. I understand the Spurs players said otherwise but I just don't buy it. Its human nature that when you face a team that you have pretty much dominated, you might drop your guard against them. The bench definitely underperformed and needed a wake-up call. As for the Mavs, once they lost the season finale against the Grizzlies and were destined to play us, they came out and played as if they had nothing to lose.

I honestly never felt that we were going to lose that series. I was pissed-off and frustrated that the Spurs players seemed to be playing like zombies and in some sort of funk. No passion, no urgency, etc.

I felt the Thunder were going to be our toughest matchup for sure but I also knew the Spurs would be ready for them - Ibaka or no Ibaka.

As for Miami, I was actually surprised they made it to the Finals. Getting there 4 years in a row is pretty impressive. But I hoped for it and thought we would destroy them. Along with the Spurs being fired up to atone for the previous year, Miami looked spent. They didn't have the fire-power to counter the Spurs after losing Mike Miller and seeing Battier's play drop. I called Spurs in 5.

As of right now, I give Cleveland the nod in the East, slightly over the Bulls. But I wouldn't be shocked if the Bulls made it either. My hope is to have everyone healthy for the playoffs next year and see Kawhi take his play to yet another level. They should be motivated to win and finally achieve the back-to-back. Lol, at anyone thinking the Spurs' success over the last 16 years doesn't make them a dynasty. The stats are ridiculous. 6 NBA Finals appearances, 5 Championships won (Thats an average of playing in the Finals every 3 years). If we had finished off the Heat the year before, we would have averaged winning a Championship every 3 years in a decade and a half.

I love this team.

Thebesteva
08-17-2014, 03:03 PM
:lol Anyone thinking Spurs can possibly repeat. Everyone knows Spurs never repeat

Jodelo
08-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Mavs losing Marion and Carter gonna hurt.

Carter yes, Marion no. He was awful!

Ghazi
08-17-2014, 05:34 PM
Marion was awful last year, he has virtually nothing left in the tank as a rotation player, tbh..he's a solid 8th/9th man, but he shouldn't be one of your top 6-7 guys, at this point..

He's just an average defender and a below average offensive player nowadays..he'll need to have a massive rejuvenation to reestablish himself as a key player on a contender..

NBA fans/media are enamoured with names, rather than actual production, it has always been the case, tbh..see: Granger, Butler last year..

Marion, Allen, and Miller aren't really good anymore but adding 3 quality veterans that can eat up minutes and make occasional plays is good enough when you already have a strong foundation.

SpurSwag
08-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Damn the cavs roster is unbelievably stacked, if they had a shot blocker or 2 it would be one of the more talented rosters I've seen recently. The flexibility they have is ridiculous, if they mesh together well they are definitely the team to beat out east.

the biggest problem I've noticed on this board is that because of how dominant our 2014 run was, people think we are untouchable and in a whole other class from every other team. I would still take us over any other single team to win it this year, but I think id go with the field against us. I feel like Lebron is gonna have an otherworldly kind of season if
hes healthy, and any improvement in durants game going into next year is pretty scary

dg7md
08-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Duncan is a top 10 NBA player of all time and is a big man... Marion doesn't even come close to the top all time in any list. :lol

Phillip
08-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Lol, if your team neads 25-30 quality minutes from Marion, you're going to lose.

interesting, because the Mavs got about that and won it all.

And the excuse "it's been a few years, so it doesn't apply" does not apply. Marion hasn't really regressed much at all since then. He has maintained himself pretty well and kept in good shape. That was evident by him locking TP up in the playoffs this past playoff run.

Dude was a fantastic pickup for the Cavs. And I doubt that he will be getting 25-30 minutes a night. more like 12-20.

Franklin
08-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Marion is even a bigger offensive liability than TC is imho. He used to be good and he contributed massively to our 2011 championship run, but he's done tbh. The Cavs still need one or 2 quality players coming off the bench, and a bag of tired old shits ain't gonna suffice.

Jacob1983
08-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Marion is awful? Are you fucking serious? He was the Mavs' best defensive player year. He is one of the best under sized rebounders in NBA history.

Fpoonsie
08-17-2014, 10:51 PM

Agreed. This is an annoying solid signing.

spurspokesman
08-18-2014, 07:16 AM
Would love the spurs to spank or even sweep cleveland again if both make the finals. #SpursOrNothing

spurraider21
08-18-2014, 07:40 AM
i dont see where marion finds 25 minutes unless lebron plays a lot of guard

wanggi
08-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Gambling.
LBJ+Love ain't mean they will get NBA Championship in two yeas.

Killakobe81
08-18-2014, 09:35 AM
It's crazy 5-7 years ago LeBron couldn't get anyone to go to Cleveland even when they had capspace. Now they land an A-level big man in Love, one of the 3 or 4 best shooters in the game on a heavy discount in Miller, and a versitale 4 who can play some 3 on a minimum deal in Marion. Minimum deals are supposed to get you the Greg Stiemsma's of the world, not guys who can contribute as major parts of a playoff team's rotation. I really don't see how anyone beats Cleveland in the East unless Waiters acts like an entitled bitch again. Which I don't see, as James is going to take so much pressure away from him and the media narrative will be about him growing up and sacrificing to be a more efficient player in order to win.

I have said this repeatedly and I also said it when he left ... EVENTUALLY Lebron was going to get people to come to Cleveland. He just wasnt patient enough. Everyone was blaming the Front office but Lebron is the real GM. By playing in the Olympics and buddying up with his fellow stars, showing what a joy he is to play with and his extraordinary passing skills OF COURSE players would have followed him ...eventually. He just did not have the stomach to wait and that is not a knock his two titles richer because of it. I cant say he made a mistake he is a better player with two rings and the Cavs got a chance to gain assets in the interim but it was almost his "destiny" to end the title drought in Cleveland and he should have never shied away from that. It would have been tougher to get his first but much more rewarding.

As for Marion, I dont get how y'all can pooh-pooh the signing. Being older did not stop Ray from burying the game saving jumper two years ago. Lebron doesn't need a TON of help. Having a defense first forward that can chase around Durant, Melo (and even Kiwi) and free him up to play-make and dominate on offense is a win. :wakeup

On a related note: Last June has changed the Spurs culture. Baseline and a few others have remained very guarded with their optimisim and have a healthy respect for OKC and CLeveland. But the more homer-centric part of the fan-base. Has gotten very brazen. Dismissing the Clips, Thunder and Bulls as legit contenders and scoffing at the Cavs. I wonder if some of it is fear or if Spur fan has become the Laker fan of the last decade? I like the new found confidence, but is it almost LG level of arrogance? :wow

Nothing is promised to anyone but how can a team of Kyrie, Waiters, Love, Verejao, Marion, Miller and most importantly Lebron not be a legit title contender or a cause for concern? Marion can absolutely defend pnr and help and rotate to shooters. This is a steal of a pickup for the Cavs and I think helps further separate them from the Bulls. I still think they could use a shot blocker and Blatt must prove himself but outside of that ...this team is ready to roll. Not saying they win it all. But if you arent at least a little concerned then I think your homer glasses may need some cleaning.

Clipper Nation
08-18-2014, 09:44 AM
I have said this repeatedly and I also said it when he left ... EVENTUALLY Lebron was going to get people to come to Cleveland. He just wasnt patient enough.
Not patient enough? He waited 7 years, even dragging a garbage team all the way to the Finals, and still nobody wanted to come to Cleveland....

"Not patient enough" would really be being unwilling to wait for a team to build around you and instead forcing your way to LA on draft day to be carried by Shaq....

Killakobe81
08-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Not patient enough? He waited 7 years, even dragging a garbage team all the way to the Finals, and still nobody wanted to come to Cleveland....

"Not patient enough" would really be being unwilling to wait for a team to build around you and instead forcing your way to LA on draft day to be carried by Shaq....

I will ignore the last part because you are not worth the time and has nothing to do with this thread. HE was a young player for most of those 7. He was not even ready to lead a team to the promise land beccuase he had plenty of help and still lost to the Mavs in the 2011 Finals.
Even if you feel he had waited on long enough on CLE...can someone that sucks off James as much as you do ... disagree that he would have convinced players to come join him?
He is the best player in the game, potential GOAt a willing passer and is friendly with more players than anyone I can think of maybe only CP3 is close ... he would have won someone over agree or disagree?

Bill_Brasky
08-18-2014, 10:06 AM
oh no! an old scrub who cant shoot!

JoeTait75
08-18-2014, 10:55 AM
I have said this repeatedly and I also said it when he left ... EVENTUALLY Lebron was going to get people to come to Cleveland. He just wasnt patient enough.

The biggest reason LeBron can get people to come to Cleveland now as opposed to his first go-around is because he now has two titles under his belt- titles he probably would not have won had he stayed.

baseline bum
08-18-2014, 11:34 AM
I have said this repeatedly and I also said it when he left ... EVENTUALLY Lebron was going to get people to come to Cleveland. He just wasnt patient enough. Everyone was blaming the Front office but Lebron is the real GM. By playing in the Olympics and buddying up with his fellow stars, showing what a joy he is to play with and his extraordinary passing skills OF COURSE players would have followed him ...eventually. He just did not have the stomach to wait and that is not a knock his two titles richer because of it. I cant say he made a mistake he is a better player with two rings and the Cavs got a chance to gain assets in the interim but it was almost his "destiny" to end the title drought in Cleveland and he should have never shied away from that. It would have been tougher to get his first but much more rewarding.

They would have never had the assets to pull of that Love deal had he stayed. No Kyrie Irving either. I mean this worked out perfectly for him even with Cleveland blowing the obvious Valaciunas and Noel picks.

As for Marion, I dont get how y'all can pooh-pooh the signing. Being older did not stop Ray from burying the game saving jumper two years ago. Lebron doesn't need a TON of help. Having a defense first forward that can chase around Durant, Melo (and even Kiwi) and free him up to play-make and dominate on offense is a win. :wakeup

And for fucking minimum. Usually minimum gets you guys who would kill your team if they're playing more than 8 minutes a game.

[Quote]
On a related note: Last June has changed the Spurs culture. Baseline and a few others have remained very guarded with their optimisim and have a healthy respect for OKC and CLeveland. But the more homer-centric part of the fan-base. Has gotten very brazen. Dismissing the Clips, Thunder and Bulls as legit contenders and scoffing at the Cavs. I wonder if some of it is fear or if Spur fan has become the Laker fan of the last decade? I like the new found confidence, but is it almost LG level of arrogance? :wow

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I doubt the Spurs ever play at the level they did in the 2014 Finals again. If you told me that team was coming back I'd be arrogant as shit and write everyone else off too. But having the same players doesn't make it the same team. Someone could get hurt, someone could get old, get fat, the team could be fatigued from playing to the final buzzer of the playoffs two years in a row. Maybe the shooters go cold at the wrong time like with the 04 Spurs. Being dominant in 86 meant shit for the Celtics in 87 when McHale broke his foot. The 01 Lakers looked about as unbeatable a team as I have seen, but pretty much the same roster was fighting for their lives against Sacramento the next year.

SPM
08-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Marion was god awful last year............ sick of seeing his ass miss bunnies and fumble the ball out of bounds every other possession. Good riddance

Killakobe81
08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
They would have never had the assets to pull of that Love deal had he stayed. No Kyrie Irving either. I mean this worked out perfectly for him even with Cleveland blowing the obvious Valaciunas and Noel picks.

[quote]

And for fucking minimum. Usually minimum gets you guys who would kill your team if they're playing more than 8 minutes a game.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. I doubt the Spurs ever play at the level they did in the 2014 Finals again. If you told me that team was coming back I'd be arrogant as shit and write everyone else off too. But having the same players doesn't make it the same team. Someone could get hurt, someone could get old, get fat, the team could be fatigued from playing to the final buzzer of the playoffs two years in a row. Maybe the shooters go cold at the wrong time like with the 04 Spurs. Being dominant in 86 meant shit for the Celtics in 87 when McHale broke his foot. The 01 Lakers looked about as unbeatable a team as I have seen, but pretty much the same roster was fighting for their lives against Sacramento the next year.

I think me and Baseline are on the same page. I absolutely agree that it did work out for the best for them to win NOW. But Love already said that he would sign if traded there if a FA, I think he would have done the same. No Lebron doesnt have two rings and maybe I am overrating him but I think the combination of Lebron's talent and forece of personality would have eventually brought someone to to the Cavs and he would have won. But there is no way to PROVE that and it's just my opinion.

ambchang
08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
The cavs should really look into getting rid of Irving to bring in a defensive PG and a rebounding/defensive center

I still think Lebron on the grizzles minus Randolph would have been perfect, just a dynasty team that can defend and score.

Anyways, b2 topic. I am not sold on Irving and Lebron coexisting together. I had the same reservations with regards to Lebron and wade back in the day, and it wasn't until Lebron got total control of that team before they rung. The problem is that Irving is significantly worse than wade on defense and off ball (the version of wade prior to this year), and everyone should want Lebron with the ball instead of Irving.

The Marion signing helped shore up the cavs perimeter defense, and his role will be similar to battler, but they still have issues with rebounding and interior defense.

Dex
08-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Agreed. This is an annoying solid signing.

It's that goddamn Lebron Discount. He probably keeps a Rolodex of guys willing to take peanuts for a chance to coattail him to a title. It's the same reason Miami was able to bring in guys like Allen, Miller, Anderson, Lewis, and :lmao Oden :lmao on the cheap.

leemajors
08-19-2014, 01:39 PM

[quote]

:tu

baseline bum
08-19-2014, 01:47 PM
It's that goddamn Lebron Discount. He probably keeps a Rolodex of guys willing to take peanuts for a chance to coattail him to a title. It's the same reason Miami was able to bring in guys like Allen, Miller, Anderson, Lewis, and :lmao Oden :lmao on the cheap.

Miller signed for MLE in Miami, Allen took a little less than his market value, Andersen was a child-raping cancer at the time, and Lewis and Oden weren't going to get any offers above minimum.