View Full Version : Girl injured during ALS bucket challenge

Thebesteva
08-19-2014, 02:51 AM
RIP to the bucket challenge :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwl2PxaB-sM

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 08:31 AM
:lol

Hopefully, she's not going to start a new challenge trend of dropping a full bucket of water on one's head.

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 08:33 AM
Holy shit though...is this real

http://huzlers.com/teen-dies-instantly-neck-injury-ice-bucket-challenge-falls-head-watch-video/

ok...he didn't dieded...just some fake news

still...ouch

lefty
08-19-2014, 08:47 AM
lol another retarded trend

Brazil
08-19-2014, 09:36 AM
lol another retarded trend

nice avatar lefty :tu that some clean shit... props

Spur|n|Austin
08-19-2014, 09:46 AM
My dad died of ALS 6 years ago, so imo it's pretty awesome to see a 1000% increase in donations since it's started. Especially since it's never been in the spotlight, and half the population doesn't even know what it is. Awareness is awareness regardless of how retarded some people are.

These fails are great though, some of these jabronies may even be dead. In their cases, they should have just donated the $$

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/just-donate-the-money?bffb

A few of the posters here probably saw mine on FB - might I note I ALSO donated (the way it should be).

:toast

leemajors
08-19-2014, 09:49 AM
here's a compilation of fucked up ones (mostly in the above buzzfeed link as well):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t2zn7Ve0bw#t=15

lefty
08-19-2014, 10:19 AM
nice avatar lefty :tu that some clean shit... props
thank you

I'm a huge fan of Diaw and his passing game, but you could use better pics of him for your avy :lol

DarrinS
08-19-2014, 10:29 AM
Person who dropped that bucket needs to be bitch slapped. Could've broken that little girl's neck.

Brazil
08-19-2014, 10:54 AM
thank you

I'm a huge fan of Diaw and his passing game, but you could use better pics of him for your avy :lol

:lol dat for the "chunky"

The Reckoning
08-19-2014, 12:36 PM
at least it gets people outside

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 01:03 PM
CLROF at 36 second one. WTF.

here's a compilation of fucked up ones (mostly in the above buzzfeed link as well):

RD2191
08-19-2014, 01:10 PM
the faggots on my fb are fucking annoying, they aren't even donating anything. they think it's just a game and they keep calling each other out just for shits and giggles. these bandwagon trends/fads are so fucking annoying.

Thebesteva
08-19-2014, 02:27 PM
the faggots on my fb are fucking annoying, they aren't even donating anything. they think it's just a game and they keep calling each other out just for shits and giggles. these bandwagon trends/fads are so fucking annoying.

I dunno man planking gave me a purpose in life tbh

RD2191
08-19-2014, 02:30 PM
I dunno man planking gave me a purpose in life tbh

DarrinS
08-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Note to people: water is heavy

boutons_deux
08-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Note to people: water is heavy

yep, a liter of water has a mass of 1 Kg

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 04:11 PM
yep, a liter of water has a mass of 1 Kg

that doesn't sound super heavy to me. I can support several Kg of weight on my head and not suffer any significant consequence. That girl acted like she got a cannonball dropped on her head.

Chinook
08-19-2014, 04:43 PM
that doesn't sound super heavy to me. I can support several Kg of weight on my head and not suffer any significant consequence. That girl acted like she got a cannonball dropped on her head.

There's a reason why force is based on acceleration. An object dropped even a short distance has a lot more impact strength than an object placed somewhere.

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 04:50 PM
There's a reason why force is based on acceleration. An object dropped even a short distance has a lot more impact strength than an object placed somewhere.

which is heavier, a ton of feathers or a ton of pennies?

DarrinS
08-19-2014, 04:57 PM

A ten gallon bucket of water weighs over 80 lbs. This is the size bucket that appears to be dropped in OP video. Would you let someone drop 80 lbs on your head?

Chinook
08-19-2014, 05:45 PM
which is heavier, a ton of feathers or a ton of pennies?

They weigh the same, but their impact strengths when dropped are different.

Spurs9
08-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Exactly. Most of these people are just looking for a trend to whore themselves on social media to try to get popular. Everyone is looking for the next harlem shake fad to catch on like this so they can post a video up about it. They don't even know what ALS is or are even donating money. One of the guitarist I've followed for a long time has had ALS since he was 20. He still composes music with his eyes using a special computer system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYIZP1hrfZI

I'm all about supporting causes, yet I don't know one person who has actually donated anything.

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
They weigh the same, but their impact strengths when dropped are different.

Wrong. They weigh the same. Other than the pennies being harder, they'll have the same impact. If you put a board in your head and then the bag, they'll be the same. To Darrin, 80 pounds may seem heavy but just think about those acrobats that stand on each other's head. They are more than 80 pounds and the do this with no problem.

Thebesteva
08-19-2014, 11:21 PM
There needs to be a herpes challenge where celebs light their groin area on fire temporarily

Aztecfan03
08-20-2014, 03:08 AM
Wrong. They weigh the same. Other than the pennies being harder, they'll have the same impact. If you put a board in your head and then the bag, they'll be the same. To Darrin, 80 pounds may seem heavy but just think about those acrobats that stand on each other's head. They are more than 80 pounds and the do this with no problem.

Except for the difference in air resistance.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 04:34 AM

Downward acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2 regardless of whether an object is in free-fall or if you are measuring it's weight on a scale.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 04:35 AM
https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/B80DAB0B9D1112922451878285312_186eec839a4.3.2.mp4? versionId=JxtnpFn3.0leEzsR6BgS2EoF7kKyd6y.

^this is the dude who's neck couldve snapped imo, that vid in op has nothing on that one

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Except for the difference in air resistance.

Read my post closely. A ton of pennies...a ton of feather. It's an old trick question/riddle. People always think of a penny compared to a feather. But the word, "ton" is where the focus should be. A ton of anything is the same weight as a ton of anything else. But my point was that we're only talking about 80kg or whatever.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Downward acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2 regardless of whether an object is in free-fall or if you are measuring it's weight on a scale.

Lol. The squared part makes the difference. You know what momentum is, right?

DarrinS
08-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Read my post closely. A ton of pennies...a ton of feather. It's an old trick question/riddle. People always think of a penny compared to a feather. But the word, "ton" is where the focus should be. A ton of anything is the same weight as a ton of anything else. But my point was that we're only talking about 80kg or whatever.

80 lbs

80 kg is a little over 175 lbs

But, we're only talking 80 lbs. You should let someone drop 80 lbs on you from 3 feet above your head. I guarantee it would feel different than 80 lbs resting on your head.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 09:15 AM

You're not clever. They weigh the same. But due to air resistance, they have different impact strengths. A feather does not fall as fast as a penny, so it has less momentum.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
Lol. The squared part makes the difference. You know what momentum is, right?

You are not wrong in saying an object dropped would hurt more, it's just not bc of acceleration. If it is not squared then it isn't acceleration.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 09:47 AM
You're not clever. They weigh the same. But due to air resistance, they have different impact strengths. A feather does not fall as fast as a penny, so it has less momentum.

If they are both bagged up like he said the air resistance of each object wouldn't matter. You'd have to focus on the bag's resistance...if they're the same size they'd fall at the same speed. Otherwise the smaller bag falls quicker.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 10:16 AM
You are not wrong in saying an object dropped would hurt more, it's just not bc of acceleration. If it is not squared then it isn't acceleration.

Yes, it's because acceleration. An object in free fall is under mostly gravitational acceleration, and so it is gaining speed/momentum until it hits the ground/head. An object resting on a surface still has gravitational acceleration, but that's being cancelled by normal force, pushing speed/momentum to zero. That's why a falling object has more impact strength than a stationary one, it takes more force to make it stop.

If they are both bagged up like he said the air resistance of each object wouldn't matter. You'd have to focus on the bag's resistance...if they're the same size they'd fall at the same speed. Otherwise the smaller bag falls quicker.

He said nothing about it being bagged. Even so, objects do fall at different speeds depending on air resistance. Bigger, less dense bags will totally fall more slowly and with less impact force than small, dense bags. Density/size matters; weight/mass doesn't. That is Galileo's principal. A bag with a ton of pennies in it is way smaller than a bag with a ton of feathers.

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2014, 12:12 PM
80 lbs

80 kg is a little over 175 lbs

But, we're only talking 80 lbs. You should let someone drop 80 lbs on you from 3 feet above your head. I guarantee it would feel different than 80 lbs resting on your head.

I wouldn't intentionally drop anything on my head. They've done studies that show soccer players having concussions from bouncing the ball of their head and a soccer ball is pretty damn light. The reality is that any sudden head movement can cause concussions (albeit very small unnoticeable ones). But the point I was making was that while a feather is light compared to a penny, a ton of feathers is EXACTLY the same weight as a ton of pennies. Or a ton of gold as the original riddle goes. And in this case 80 pounds of water is the same as 80 pounds of feathers (or gold or pennies). And it's not as neck-snapping, life threatening as people are making it out to be. The mini concussion risk is much higher.

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2014, 12:16 PM

Sorry...I should have mentioned that it's all happening in a vacuum.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 04:22 PM
Yes, it's because acceleration. An object in free fall is under mostly gravitational acceleration, and so it is gaining speed/momentum until it hits the ground/head. An object resting on a surface still has gravitational acceleration, but that's being cancelled by normal force, pushing speed/momentum to zero. That's why a falling object has more impact strength than a stationary one, it takes more force to make it stop.

The difference in speeds has to do with the potential energy each object has, since it focuses on their respective heights which differ--acceleration doesn't differ.

He said nothing about it being bagged. Even so, objects do fall at different speeds depending on air resistance. Bigger, less dense bags will totally fall more slowly and with less impact force than small, dense bags. Density/size matters; weight/mass doesn't. That is Galileo's principal. A bag with a ton of pennies in it is way smaller than a bag with a ton of feathers.

He said piece of wood and then bag on top of it. Maybe I misunderstood.

Sorry...I should have mentioned that it's all happening in a vacuum.

Then you are right. :tu

Cry Havoc
08-20-2014, 04:44 PM
I wouldn't intentionally drop anything on my head. They've done studies that show soccer players having concussions from bouncing the ball of their head and a soccer ball is pretty damn light. The reality is that any sudden head movement can cause concussions (albeit very small unnoticeable ones). But the point I was making was that while a feather is light compared to a penny, a ton of feathers is EXACTLY the same weight as a ton of pennies. Or a ton of gold as the original riddle goes. And in this case 80 pounds of water is the same as 80 pounds of feathers (or gold or pennies). And it's not as neck-snapping, life threatening as people are making it out to be. The mini concussion risk is much higher.

http://i.imgur.com/pMw1I1P.png

Yeah dude, there's absolutely NO chance of neck or back injuries from that. :downspin:

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Yeah dude, there's absolutely NO chance of neck or back injuries from that. :downspin:

LOL. That pic. She's ducking and as you can see, most of the water is already out.

Cry Havoc
08-20-2014, 04:51 PM
LOL. That pic. She's ducking and as you can see, most of the water is already out.

I sincerely hope you're trolling.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 07:07 PM
The difference in speeds has to do with the potential energy each object has, since it focuses on their respective heights which differ--acceleration doesn't differ.

He said piece of wood and then bag on top of it. Maybe I misunderstood.

Then you are right. :tu

I don't think we're disagreeing so much as looking at things differently. The fact that gravity is based on acceleration is why height matters so much. The farther something falls, the faster it's going when it hits something. The faster something goes, the more normal force it takes to slow it down in a short distance. That's why nets work for catching jumping people. They increase the distance something can slow down over, and so decrease normal force.

cantthinkofanything
08-20-2014, 08:19 PM
That's why nets work for catching jumping people. They increase the distance something can slow down over, and so decrease normal force.

Exactly. Which is also what the neck does.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 08:55 PM
I don't think we're disagreeing so much as looking at things differently. The fact that gravity is based on acceleration is why height matters so much. The farther something falls, the faster it's going when it hits something. The faster something goes, the more normal force it takes to slow it down in a short distance. That's why nets work for catching jumping people. They increase the distance something can slow down over, and so decrease normal force.

Yep, I even said you were right about something dropped hurting more. Just stating that it's not necessarily bc of acceleration, bc gravity is constant regardless of height. Although you are right in that the pull of gravity gets things going.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Exactly. Which is also what the neck does.

Lol. Good one.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Yep, I even said you were right about something dropped hurting more. Just stating that it's not necessarily bc of acceleration, bc gravity is constant regardless of height. Although you are right in that the pull of gravity gets things going.

Gravity is constant, but the acceleration makes distance important. Like it makes no difference if car that hits you has been driving at 70 MPH for a hour or a second. The impact force is the same. But it makes a huge difference getting hit by a car whose gas pedal has been floored for one half-second rather than two seconds (provided the car was at rest before then).

FkLA
08-20-2014, 09:18 PM
Gravity is constant, but the acceleration makes distance important. Like it makes no difference if car that hits you has been driving at 70 MPH for a hour or a second. The impact force is the same. But it makes a huge difference getting hit by a car whose gas pedal has been floored for one half-second rather than two seconds (provided the car was at rest before then).

Sure, the gravity gets it started when in free fall. But an object at rest is hit by that same gravity too. If I were to ask someone to explain the difference, I'd expect energy to be part of the discussion--since height and velocity are so important in determining that difference.

If you just look at both scenarios through Newtons second law, it doesn't tell you much.

Chinook
08-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Sure, the gravity gets it started when in free fall. But an object at rest is hit by that same gravity too. If I were to ask someone to explain the difference, I'd expect energy to be part of the discussion--since height and velocity are so important in determining that difference.

If you just look at both scenarios through Newtons second law, it doesn't tell you much.

The first and third laws are the important ones. Something hitting the ground after falling has more normal force acting on it than something resting on the ground.

FkLA
08-20-2014, 09:39 PM

You are right. The initial comment^ you made was what was a little off imo. Although upon second look it's not as bad as I thought when I first read it.

No disagreement with what you are saying now.

HI-FI
08-20-2014, 10:30 PM

i haven't seen the video but fuck that's some exorcist shit. nasty.

TDMVPDPOY
08-20-2014, 11:58 PM
this ice challenge

ice addicts will surely say no

how come nobody has challenge clowns from okc?

phxspurfan
08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Did she dieded?

phxspurfan
08-21-2014, 04:11 PM
FB6FD0vXM_o

cantthinkofanything
08-21-2014, 04:19 PM
this one is still my favorite...

I can almost hear the "hiiiiiiii ya" in the background
_it6FDzT6e4

ColinB
08-23-2014, 06:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuaVFZ95TqQ

This is the best one.

Actually, it very well may be the best video on the internet.

SnakeBoy
08-28-2014, 06:49 PM
This is the right way to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkTg6lhvQY

Thebesteva
08-28-2014, 08:42 PM

http://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lseftoYhq01qemyj7o1_250.gif

Blizzardwizard
08-28-2014, 09:32 PM
This is the right way to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFkTg6lhvQY