PDA

View Full Version : I had a feeling this was coming regarding vaping

Blake
08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
...... Toronto’s board of health is asking the province to impose an Ontario-wide ban on electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, wherever smoking is prohibited.“The best thing for the province to do is to tackle this right away and get a legislative framework in place immediately,” said city councillor and board of health chair Joe Mihevc.The board also wants Queen’s Park to prohibit sales of flavoured e-cigarette products, ban e-cigarette displays in retail stores and restrict sales to minors. If the province doesn’t respond by February, the city’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David McKeown, is prepared to step in with suggested bylaws that would curb their sales in Toronto.At its meeting Monday, the board voted unanimously to endorse a report prepared by Toronto Public Health and McKeown. He is urging restrictions because of “possible health risks associated with exposure to second-hand vapour.”Board members heard deputations from e-cigarette proponents who argued the battery-operated devices are helping thousands of smokers to kick their “filthy” habit. They suggested any move to limit their use is based on fear — not on actual evidence that they cause harm......

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2014/08/18/toronto_board_of_health_asks_province_for_ecigaret te_ban.html

Second hand vapor?

DarrinS
08-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Is vaping offensive to non-smokers? Just curious.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Second hand vapor?

It's a crock of shit, second hand vapor is nothing, and definitely not the same as smoke.

While it is true that e-cigs are not healthy because you still get the nicotine, and nicotine builds plaque in your arteries and causes heart disease, the vapor dissipates immediately in the atmosphere.

Blake
08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Is vaping offensive to non-smokers? Just curious.

I didn't think it was. Now I'm not sure.

RD2191
08-19-2014, 10:38 AM
:lolpeople that worry about 2nd hand smoke. Do they know how many carcinogens are in every fucking product we use daily? The food that we eat? The shit we drink? Not to mention everything we inhale on a daily basis. Tf outta here.

Blake
08-19-2014, 10:38 AM
It's a crock of shit, second hand vapor is nothing, and definitely not the same as smoke.

While it is true that e-cigs are not healthy because you still get the nicotine, and nicotine builds plaque in your arteries and causes heart disease, the vapor dissipates immediately in the atmosphere.

And you are qualified to dismiss the statement by Toronto's Medical Officer of Health?

No. You are nobody.

Blake
08-19-2014, 10:39 AM
:lolpeople that worry about 2nd hand smoke. Do they know how many carcinogens are in every fucking product we use daily? The food that we eat? The shit we drink? Not to mention everything we inhale on a daily basis. Tf outta here.

Lol your ignorant posts crack me up.

Bill_Brasky
08-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah i get the feeling that everyday air is just as harsh as any vapor would be. Wasnt that the whole fucking point of vaping? So smokers can do it inside and give them incentive to quit real cigs?

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 10:51 AM
I do believe there are a lot more serious things to be concerned about such as emissions from automobiles.

Oh, and blake, I am as qualified as anyone of us are to question the validity of the report.
Or do you blindly believe everything anyone with credentials tells you without first taking a look at their findings?
Your monoric posts are revealing of how ignorant you are and how you take everything in the strictest literal sense, yet fail to understand someone's opinion without having to be TOLD that message board statements for the most part are the expressions of opinions, and not facts.
But since you love to play your idiotic games, you said, "you are a nobody".
Link?
The burden of proof lies with you to validate your statement since nothing is an opinion with you.

Blake
08-19-2014, 11:14 AM
I do believe there are a lot more serious things to be concerned about such as emissions from automobiles.

Oh, and blake, I am as qualified as anyone of us are to question the validity of the report.
Or do you blindly believe everything anyone with credentials tells you without first taking a look at their findings?

You blindly called bullshit.

And no, you are not qualified for anything here.

Blake
08-19-2014, 11:15 AM

The vapor still contains nicotine.

You're a fucking idiot.

DarrinS
08-19-2014, 11:41 AM

And carbon dioxide <gasp>.

leemajors
08-19-2014, 11:46 AM
And carbon dioxide <gasp>.

Some, formaldehyde too.

ohmwrecker
08-19-2014, 11:49 AM
Vapers are more annoying than smokers.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 12:08 PM

You're a fucking idiot.

You also said I was a nobody.

Now I need two links for each of your statements.

The burden of proof lies with you to prove it.

Otherwise you are merely lying again, since you are being so literal that you do not allow opinions, and thus exposing yourself as a liar.

:lmao

ohmwrecker
08-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Otherwise you are merely lying again, since you are being so literal that you do not allow opinions, and thus exposing yourself as a liar.

Does every thread have to evolve into a flame war between you and Blake?

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Second Hand Vapor

For the user, it’s obvious that vaping is a great alternative to smoking. Many of us now prefer vaping to smoking entirely. We really enjoy all the different flavor options and being able to vape a single hit or two without dedicating 5-10 minutes to go have a cigarette.

Now what about what you exhale when vaping? We already know what’s in the e-juice, but what exactly is coming out of our lungs into the air to potentially bother those around us?

The most recent study was conducted by clearstream working closely with Utah vapers. The study has completed and is now in the process of full doctoral review so the summary is no longer published at that page. The short version is that second hand vapor contains no harmful chemicals and no nicotine. Really the only possible irritants that one can think of are the trace amounts of flavor.

Here is an excerpt of what used to be there:

In December 2011, the Utah Vapers began working closely with FlavourArt from Milan Italy to research the current studies on electronic cigarettes. What we found is a lack of evidence to support the belief we all had in that there was no harm to bystanders in exhaled vapor (second-hand vapor). After months of coordination, Clearstream Air was announced to the world electronic cigarette community on 22 March 2012 – also known as World Vaping Day.

Simply put, the Clearstream Air project is a comparative evaluation between tobacco and electronic cigarettes and hoped to draw a positive conclusion about the lack of harm with electronic cigarette usage. The study focused on the release of airborne contaminants in closed room environment to determine if there are any contaminants and if so, at what levels.

The following substances were measured for in the exhaled smoke and vapor.

Carbon monoxide CO
Nitrogen oxides NOx
Acrolein
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons PAHs
Volatile Organic Compounds VOC
Total Organic Carbon TOC
Nicotine
Glycerine and propylene glycol (components of the electronic cigarettes fluids)

Study Results

As the study has been completed and a professional doctoral review completed, I’m proud to announce that the results are better than we could have anticipated. In short, there is NO harm found in exhaled vapor from electronic cigarettes. The most exciting results I found is that testing did not detect any nicotine in the exhaled vapor. Now, you may ask why I find this exciting. Well, my excitement is on two levels. 1) This means that the human lung absorbs most if not all of the nicotine which has long been questioned within the global electronic cigarette community; and 2) This also means no nicotine was detected in the ‘second-hand vapor’. All other substances measured for electronic cigarettes were FAR below allowable levels for human inhalation according to the FDA. In fact, the levels were so low that it proves it is more hazardous to your health to breath the air in any major downtown metropolitan city during heightened times of driving.

I invite you to review the study yourself and draw your own conclusions. If you are in the medical or scientific fields, please take the invitation to review the report in detail and let me know if you draw a different conclusion. If you prefer to wait for the full doctoral paper, we anticipate the full peer reviewed release of this paper to occur near the end of July 2012.

http://www.projectvape.com/what-is-vaping/second-hand-vapor/

Blake
08-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Lol projectvape.

Try again, Dartmouth.

RD2191
08-19-2014, 01:43 PM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/642/458/041.gif

Infinite_limit
08-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Who else laughs when they see Anti-Tobacco ads on television? Talk about money that could be better spent elsewhere.

DarrinS
08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Meanwhile

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new-hampshire/2014/08/13/overnight-overdoses-synthetic-marijuana-manchester/7jrr8WEFL5c0pQ2YFuC0EP/story.html

The Reckoning
08-19-2014, 02:00 PM
every one needs a witchhunt

Blake
08-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Meanwhile

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new-hampshire/2014/08/13/overnight-overdoses-synthetic-marijuana-manchester/7jrr8WEFL5c0pQ2YFuC0EP/story.html

" Sgt. Brian O’Keefe told Boston.com that there were between 17 and 25 overdoses on the substance Monday night, and believes the bubblegum flavor sold in area stores may be a “bad batch.”

:lol

Blake
08-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Oh noes. How will I handle you calling me a liar. Again.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Here are some more studies:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/vapor-e-cigs-nicotine-toxins-tobacco-study-article-1.1565760

http://ecigarettereviewed.com/second-hand-e-cigarette-vapor-dangerous

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/when-e-smokers-breathe-out-what-do-we-breathe-in/2013/05/28/ccce833e-c79c-11e2-9245-773c0123c027_story.html

http://ricochet.com/archives/on-the-danger-of-secondhand-vaping/

It appears that there is no evidence that e-cig second hand vapor poses any sort of risk at this point of investigations.
This may change in the future as the FDA does more research, but so far there is none that hasn't been debunked so far.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Oh noes. How will I handle you calling me a liar. Again.

Links?

Or are you pussying out as usual?

cantthinkofanything
08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
I must not understand how these things work. They're reusable right? But every convenience store I go into seeming has several hundred of these on the shelf behind the counter and in the box on the counter. Not to mention, "Vape" stores popping up everywhere.

mingus
08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
Anybody transitioned from cigs to vaping here? I'm looking to spend some money a good vaporizer. A year or so ago I tried one of those disposables but they sucked. They gave me the nicotine but the throat/lung hit was pathetic. Now I see these bigger sized vapes everywhere and the lung and throat hit is substantial on them to the point where they mimic cigs pretty on point and they are viable for me as an alternative.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Anybody transitioned from cigs to vaping here? I'm looking to spend some money a good vaporizer. A year or so ago I tried one of those disposables but they sucked. They gave me the nicotine but the throat/lung hit was pathetic. Now I see these bigger sized vapes everywhere and the lung and throat hit is substantial on them to the point where they mimic cigs pretty on point and they are viable for me as an alternative.

If you live in San Antonio I can recommend a good place to go get one.

mingus
08-19-2014, 03:06 PM
If you live in San Antonio I can recommend a good place to go get one.

I go up every other weekend. Where?

silverblk mystix
08-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Wait...

The cuck started a thread -

a thread that was NOT about someone who has humiliated him?

:lmao:lmao:lmao

And you God haters scoffed at "miracles"

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Monster Vape off 281 and Bitters Rd. across from the theater and near Magnolia Pancake Haus.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 03:10 PM
Wait...

Amazing isn't it, but he took the wrong said as usual.

Blake
08-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Wait...

If you want to see your very real quote again where you are playing the role of voyeur/cuck with xmas, let me know.

silverblk mystix
08-19-2014, 03:16 PM
If you want to see your very real quote again where you are playing the role of voyeur/cuck with xmas, let me know.

If you don't mind - don't try to talk about sex here again -

it creeps everyone out.

Cuck.

:lmao:lmao

Medvedenko
08-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Nicotine does not cause cancer, while highly addictive it's the other bs that's produced when combusting that causes the litany of issues. Also, vapor is water typically. Vaping weed is also way better too as you're not burning anything, hence no smoke to affect your lungs and no tar to deal with.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 03:22 PM
Nicotine does not cause cancer, while highly addictive it's the other bs that's produced when combusting that causes the litany of issues. Also, vapor is water typically. Vaping weed is also way better too as you're not burning anything, hence no smoke to affect your lungs and no tar to deal with.

This is correct. The only danger is from the nicotine inhaled because it causes plaque buildup in the arteries.

Blake
08-19-2014, 03:31 PM
This is correct. The only danger is from the nicotine inhaled because it causes plaque buildup in the arteries.

There is nicotine in the vapor.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 03:38 PM
There is nicotine in the vapor.

So you know more than the FDA.

"Study Results

As the study has been completed and a professional doctoral review completed, I’m proud to announce that the results are better than we could have anticipated. In short, there is NO harm found in exhaled vapor from electronic cigarettes. The most exciting results I found is that testing did not detect any nicotine in the exhaled vapor. Now, you may ask why I find this exciting. Well, my excitement is on two levels. 1) This means that the human lung absorbs most if not all of the nicotine which has long been questioned within the global electronic cigarette community; and 2) This also means no nicotine was detected in the ‘second-hand vapor’. All other substances measured for electronic cigarettes were FAR below allowable levels for human inhalation according to the FDA. In fact, the levels were so low that it proves it is more hazardous to your health to breath the air in any major downtown metropolitan city during heightened times of driving."

RD2191
08-19-2014, 03:42 PM
Blake, what is the point of your thread? That vaping is bad for you?

Blake
08-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Blake, what is the point of your thread? That vaping is bad for you?

I originally thought second hand vapor was safe. Now I'm not sure. I've been wondering if people were going to start wondering out loud about it.

Is Toronto overreacting?

RD2191
08-19-2014, 04:11 PM
I thought second hand vapor was safe. Now I'm not sure.

Is Toronto overreacting?
I really don't know. I don't smoke so I'm not keeping up with any of this.

Blake
08-19-2014, 04:18 PM
I really don't know. I don't smoke so I'm not keeping up with any of this.

I don't smoke or vape either

But if second hand vape is harmful, I'd like it banned from public places like cigarette smoking is.

Blake
08-19-2014, 04:20 PM
So you know more than the FDA.

"Study Results

As the study has been completed and a professional doctoral review completed, I’m proud to announce that the results are better than we could have anticipated. In short, there is NO harm found in exhaled vapor from electronic cigarettes. The most exciting results I found is that testing did not detect any nicotine in the exhaled vapor. Now, you may ask why I find this exciting. Well, my excitement is on two levels. 1) This means that the human lung absorbs most if not all of the nicotine which has long been questioned within the global electronic cigarette community; and 2) This also means no nicotine was detected in the ‘second-hand vapor’. All other substances measured for electronic cigarettes were FAR below allowable levels for human inhalation according to the FDA. In fact, the levels were so low that it proves it is more hazardous to your health to breath the air in any major downtown metropolitan city during heightened times of driving."

Link?

leemajors
08-19-2014, 04:21 PM
I don't smoke or vape either

But if second hand vape is harmful, I'd like it banned from public places like cigarette smoking is.

Austin banned them in public places I believe

Blake
08-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Abilene is asking what the public thinks

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/story/d/story/abilene-city-council-to-consider-banning-e-cigaret/82854/YORGQiR1jkWd7QbGF86XWw

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Link?

Already posted the link, moron, in Post #17 which you obviously did not read because you obvious did not comprehend the post.

Blake
08-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Already posted the link, moron, in Post #17 which you obviously did not read because you obvious did not comprehend the post.

You posted four links. Which one is it.

Clipper Nation
08-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Who else laughs when they see Anti-Tobacco ads on television? Talk about money that could be better spent elsewhere.
It really is a waste of money, especially since the majority of smokers know full well that tobacco is bad for them but do it anyway.... it has to do with neuroplasticity, tbh....

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 05:08 PM
You posted four links. Which one is it.

Moron, I posted 5, FIVE, links!

RD2191
08-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Blake, man, you don't have to be a dick all of the time. Seriously, xmas is trying to remain calm and civil yet you're provoking him until this turns into another shit thread. I've called you a faggot many times and you've called me stupid/uneducated, but as long as you respect me I will respect you, it's not that hard to get along. Fuck man.

The Reckoning
08-19-2014, 05:15 PM
saw the e-cig ban on the airplane. thought it was funny.

The Reckoning
08-19-2014, 05:18 PM
and yes i'd say this was a great success for big tobacco lobbying

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 05:21 PM
and yes i'd say this was a great success for big tobacco lobbying

If it isn't debunked again by the majority of studies, then you are right.

Strange Love
08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
It deserves a ban based on it being such a beta and lame way to "smoke."

Everytime I see a douchebag vaping they look like total try hard faggots.

Blake
08-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Blake, man, you don't have to be a dick all of the time. Seriously, xmas is trying to remain calm and civil yet you're provoking him until this turns into another shit thread. I've called you a faggot many times and you've called me stupid/uneducated, but as long as you respect me I will respect you, it's not that hard to get along. Fuck man.

If we're gonna play who did what first, xmas called the article I posted "a crock of shit" right off the bat.

whatever.

Blake
08-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Moron, I posted 5, FIVE, links!

sorry I was being a dick by saying "four"

smh

RD2191
08-19-2014, 05:44 PM
If we're gonna play who did what first, xmas called the article I posted "a crock of shit" right off the bat.

whatever.
whatever? That's what a grown man is coming back with? smh.

Blake
08-19-2014, 05:47 PM

So now you're going to be a dick?

Whatever.

xmas1997

whatever.

I did call "the article" a crock of shit, because it was.
That has nothing to do with whomever posted the article.
It had to do with the validity of the article, moron.
Did you personally write the article?
No.

RD2191
So now you're going to be a dick?

Whatever.
dude, I came at you respectfully and all you say is "whatever"

Blake
08-19-2014, 05:54 PM
dude, I came at you respectfully and all you say is "whatever"

Lol where's your respectful post telling xmas to get along?

Stop shitting on this thread.

Blake
08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
I did call "the article" a crock of shit, because it was.
That has nothing to do with whomever posted the article.
It had to do with the validity of the article, moron.
Did you personally write the article?
No.

whatever, dick.

RD2191
08-19-2014, 06:02 PM

Blake
08-19-2014, 06:24 PM
it's not that hard to get along. Fuck man.

Lol phony

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Lol phony

Calm down, take a chill pill.
As I said I was attacking the article because of it's BS.
I wasn't attacking you. In fact I never looked to see who started the thread and didn't know you did until SBM mentioned it.
But if you want to act like an immature child and a moron, far be it from me to get in your way.
It just makes me laugh all the more.

Blake
08-19-2014, 08:09 PM
I wasn't attacking you.

Your monoric posts are revealing of how ignorant you are

Lol monoric

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Lol monoric

Shall we get back on topic now?
Have you had enough foolishness?

Blake
08-19-2014, 08:15 PM
Shall we get back on topic now?
Have you had enough foolishness?

Lol attacks first then wants high road.

you don't have to be a dick all the time. If you want to stay on topic, then stop making this about me and stay on topic.

mingus
08-19-2014, 08:33 PM
It deserves a ban based on it being such a beta and lame way to "smoke."

Everytime I see a douchebag vaping they look like total try hard faggots.

The smoker who won't vape because he/she doesnt want to be percieved as something is the gayest and most try hard thing ive read this week. This coming from a guy who smokes filterless cigarettes.

xmas1997
08-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Lol attacks first then wants high road.

you don't have to be a dick all the time. If you want to stay on topic, then stop making this about me and stay on topic.

In all fairness so that the truth is known, I only attacked you back after you attacked me first in your post #6.

And I usually always prefer the high road, unlike you.

If you don't believe me then go back and read your post #6 and the posts leading up to it where I never once mentioned you.

You started it. You usually do.

DJR210
08-19-2014, 09:29 PM
Well until they ban this shit, I'll keep vaping my wax in public, while nobody has any clue I'm high as fuck

spurraider21
08-19-2014, 09:48 PM
i find vaping to just be pointless/idiotic. it just looks stupid

Strange Love
08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
The smoker who won't vape because he/she doesnt want to be percieved as something is the gayest and most try hard thing ive read this week. This coming from a guy who smokes filterless cigarettes.

I dont smoke so if that shot was directed at me, you missed bro.

I'm only saying that because this, instead of being a tool used to help those who want to quit smoking its been picked up by non-smokers trying to look cool, not knowing they look like tools doing it.

This has become a bad trend everyone is doing these days.

TeyshaBlue
08-19-2014, 10:42 PM
Wait...

This was that important?
Ooook.

TeyshaBlue
08-19-2014, 10:49 PM
I went from 1-2 packs of Marlboro reds a day to straight vape @2.4 mg of Nic. The transition went well but the damage was already done. I have zero desire for a smoke now....double bypass will do that. My cardiologist is not a fan of vaping because of the nicotine. That stuff still hardens arteries.

DJR210
08-19-2014, 11:13 PM

It's awesome if you're vaporizing marijuana extract. It's odorless, and super potent in that form.

lil'mo
08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Lol vaping is for fags.

mingus
08-19-2014, 11:56 PM
I dont smoke so if that shot was directed at me, you missed bro.

I'm only saying that because this, instead of being a tool used to help those who want to quit smoking its been picked up by non-smokers trying to look cool, not knowing they look like tools doing it.

This has become a bad trend everyone is doing these days.

Why do you assume they want to look cool? Nicotine is a stimulant, like caffiene is a stimulant. Do people drink coffee or Red Bull or Coke because they want to "look cool"?

People like stimulants (eg. Caffiene, Nicotine, Chat (found in parts of North Africa)). Most of the time (not all stimulants) if you can keep your intake of it under control (aka you're not addicted to it) and the catalyst isn't tobacco or some other agent that is going to produce harmful effects it's not too much of an issue.

mingus
08-20-2014, 12:06 AM
That said I don't recommend vaping or really any other stimulant to people because if they're like me they'll keep wanting more and more of it. Better to just stay away from nic altogether if that's your personality type.

Strange Love
08-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Why do you assume they want to look cool? Nicotine is a stimulant, like caffiene is a stimulant. Do people drink coffee or Red Bull or Coke because they want to "look cool"?

People like stimulants (eg. Caffiene, Nicotine, Chat (found in parts of North Africa)). Most of the time (not all stimulants) if you can keep your intake of it under control (aka you're not addicted to it) and the catalyst isn't tobacco or some other agent that is going to produce harmful effects it's not too much of an issue.

It's easy.

They dont smoke it to keep their smoking habit in check, they do it because its the hollywood thing now. It just looks very pretentious.

mingus
08-20-2014, 01:16 AM
I don't think that's the case. I think you're reading too much into people's behavior and want to find a particular fault in people's behavior that isn't there. Plenty of people I know who vape do at home when no one is watching. Which leads me to believe they take enjoyment in vaping in and of itself and couldn't care less about wanting to "look cool" to anyone. Whatever, this is a dumb debate. Assume what you want to assume.

Huey Freeman
08-20-2014, 01:30 AM
It's easy.

They dont smoke it to keep their smoking habit in check, they do it because its the hollywood thing now. It just looks very pretentious.

Bullshit (for me anyway), I've been vaping for a about six months now and I have never vaped in public. My goal in the beginning was to quit smoking cigs and eventually quitting nicotine altogether. Haven't gotten there yet, but it's still my goal. The weed aspect interests me tbh

Bill_Brasky
08-20-2014, 01:38 AM

dabs. holy shit, dabs.

Strange Love
08-20-2014, 01:46 AM
I don't think that's the case. I think you're reading too much into people's behavior and want to find a particular fault in people's behavior that isn't there. Plenty of people I know who vape do at home when no one is watching. Which leads me to believe they take enjoyment in vaping in and of itself and couldn't care less about wanting to "look cool" to anyone. Whatever, this is a dumb debate. Assume what you want to assume.

Bullshit (for me anyway), I've been vaping for a about six months now and I have never vaped in public. My goal in the beginning was to quit smoking cigs and eventually quitting nicotine altogether. Haven't gotten there yet, but it's still my goal. The weed aspect interests me tbh

Which is why I said most people (young, trendy and impressionable) are the ones picking these up to act cool.

I also said this was something made for legit people who do want to quit the habit. I've nothing against those who do for that purpose. I only take issue with the one dumbass sitting at a bar vaping with a "look at me I'm a badass" smug.

mingus
08-20-2014, 01:53 AM
Which is why I said most people (young, trendy and impressionable) are the ones picking these up to act cool.

I also said this was something made for legit people who do want to quit the habit. I've nothing against those who do for that purpose. I only take issue with the one dumbass sitting at a bar vaping with a "look at me I'm a badass" smug.

Or maybe he just likes vaping? The hell is your deal?

Strange Love
08-20-2014, 01:58 AM
Or maybe he just likes vaping? The hell is your deal?

You haven't seen the douchebags I've seem doing it. When you spot one, you'll understand.

mingus
08-20-2014, 04:32 AM
And when/if I do I won't make sweeping generalizations about other people who do it. This is just basic common sense.

Instead of stubbornly continuing your dumb argument you can just admit to the fact that your reasoning was based on a sweeping generalization and therefore idiotic. It's not that big of a deal really.

Strange Love
08-20-2014, 04:38 PM
And when/if I do I won't make sweeping generalizations about other people who do it. This is just basic common sense.

Instead of stubbornly continuing your dumb argument you can just admit to the fact that your reasoning was based on a sweeping generalization and therefore idiotic. It's not that big of a deal really.

You seem rather butthurt.

This is a gay gimmick. Nuff said.

mingus
08-20-2014, 08:12 PM
You seem rather butthurt.

This is a gay gimmick. Nuff said.

No matter how many times you bash vaping it doesn't change the fact that your reasoning behind it sucks dick.

Get a clue. And get a girl so that you can care less about some d-bag at the bar and more about tapping some ass.

Strange Love
08-20-2014, 08:27 PM
No matter how many times you bash vaping it doesn't change the fact that your reasoning behind it sucks dick.

Get a clue. And get a girl so that you can care less about some d-bag at the bar and more about tapping some ass.

Ok, will do deadshot. :lol

SnakeBoy
05-21-2015, 03:40 PM
INSIGHT-Is nicotine all bad?

LONDON | By Kate Kelland, Health and Science Correspondent

May 19 Since he ditched Marlboro Lights five years ago, Daniel's fix is fruit-flavoured nicotine gum that comes in neat, pop-out strips. He gets through 12 to 15 pieces a day and says he has "packets of the stuff" stashed all over. But he doesn't see himself as a nicotine addict.

Like many people, Daniel believes nicotine gum is far less harmful for him than smoking. Doctors worldwide agree. By giving up cigarettes, they say, Daniel has removed at least 90 percent of the health risks of his habit.

Even so, the possibility that people can be addicted to nicotine, but not die from it, is at the heart of a growing debate in the scientific community. Scientists don't doubt nicotine is addictive, but some wonder if a daily dose could be as benign as the caffeine many of us get from a morning coffee.

It's a debate that has been aggravated by the rising popularity of electronic cigarettes - tobacco-free gadgets people use to inhale nicotine-laced vapour, which have helped some people quit smoking. The idea of nicotine as relatively benign goes against the negative image of the drug that built up over the decades when smoking rose to become an undisputed health threat.

Psychologists and tobacco-addiction specialists, including some in world-leading laboratories in Britain, think it's now time to distinguish clearly between nicotine and smoking. The evidence shows smoking is the killer, not nicotine, they say.

"We need to de-demonise nicotine," said Ann McNeill, a professor of tobacco addiction and the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience at King's College London, who has spent her career researching ways to help people quit smoking.

She wants people to understand the risks are nuanced - that potential harms lie on a curve with smoking at one end, and nicotine at the other. People who don't see that may hesitate to seek help stopping smoking, or try to restrain their intake of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). That can make it harder to quit.

Some studies show nicotine, like caffeine, can even have positive effects. It's a stimulant, which raises the heart rate and increases the speed of sensory information processing, easing tension and sharpening the mind.

All this raises other questions: Could nicotine prime the brains of young people to seek harder stuff? Or, in an ageing society, could its stimulant properties benefit people whose brains are slowing, warding off cognitive decline into Alzheimer's and delaying the progression of Parkinson's disease?

So far the answers aren't clear. And the divide is as political and emotional as it is scientific.

RELATIVE HARMS

McNeill says her work is, in part, to honour the legacy of her former mentor at King's, British psychiatrist Mike Russell. About 40 years ago, Russell was one of the first scientists to suggest that people "smoke for the nicotine, but die from the tar" - an idea that helped lay the ground for the NRT business of gums, patches, vaporizers and now e-cigarettes.

Some scientists note Russell's insight has been misused by the tobacco industry. For decades, companies' false promises of "light" cigarettes helped lure more smokers, says Mike Daube, professor of health policy at Curtin University in Australia. "We have seen more than six decades of tobacco industry distraction products, promotions and deceptions," he says. "They revelled in advertising that implied both reduced risks and even health benefits."

Smoking kills half of all those who do it - plus 600,000 people a year who don't, via second-hand smoke - making it the world's biggest preventable killer, with a predicted death toll of a billion by the end of the century, according to the World Health Organization.

Few doubt that nicotine is addictive. How quickly it hooks people is closely linked to the speed at which it is delivered to the brain, says McNeill. The patch is very slow; gum is slightly quicker. But there is no evidence as yet that significant numbers of people are addicted to either. Daniel, who works long hours in London's financial district, says he chews less on weekends when he's relaxing, doing sport and hanging out with his kids.

One reason smoking is so addictive is that it's a highly efficient nicotine delivery system, McNeill says. "Smoking a tobacco cigarette is one of the best ways of getting nicotine to the brain - it's faster even than intravenous injection." Also, tobacco companies used various chemicals to make the nicotine in cigarettes even more potent.

Pure nicotine can be lethal in sufficient quantities. There is some evidence it may lead to changes in adolescent brain development, especially to the part responsible for intelligence, language and memory.

Stanton Glantz, a professor of tobacco at the University of California, San Francisco, says the younger kids are when they start using nicotine, the more heavily addicted they get. "This is likely because their brains are still developing," he said.

Countering that, others say studies have focused on animals and that in any case, nicotine should not be available to under-18s. Michael Siegel, a tobacco control expert and professor at Boston University, says that in the few studies so far, such effects have been seen only in smokers, not smoke-free nicotine users.

Elsewhere, studies have looked at nicotine's potential to prevent Alzheimer's disease, and to delay the onset of Parkinson's.

A study in the journal Brain and Cognition in 2000 found that "nicotinic stimulation may have promise for improving both cognitive and motor aspects of Parkinson's disease." Another, in Behavioral Brain Research, suggested "there is considerable potential for therapeutic applications in the near future." Other work has looked at the stimulant's potential for easing symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

In Sweden, many people get their nicotine from sucking smoke-free tobacco called "snus." Research there has put rates of lung cancer, heart disease and other smoking-related illness among the lowest in Europe.

"FUNCTIONAL ADDICTION"

Even so, the idea of "safe nicotine" has not caught on.

Marcus Munafo, a biological psychologist at Britain's Bristol University, says public health campaigns of the 1970s and 1980s bound nicotine, addiction and cigarettes tightly together to hammer home smoking's harms. Those associations may blur the potential for cleaner nicotine to lure smokers away from cigarettes.

Munafo is questioning the notion that a nicotine addiction is, in itself, bad. At a "smoking laboratory" in Munafo's department, people who are still hooked on cigarettes smoke under controlled conditions. At the moment, researchers are studying genetic differences in how deeply people inhale, as part of a project analysing people's needs and responses to nicotine.

"Should we really be that bothered about addiction in and of itself, if it doesn't come with any other substantial harms?" said Munafo. "It's at least a discussion we need to have."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/19/health-nicotine-idUSL3N0Y93PK20150519