PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: How Duncan's 5 rings stack up with Russell and Jordan

Galileo
08-21-2014, 06:50 PM
How Duncan's 5 rings stack up with Russell and Jordan

Total playoff rounds won to win titles:

Tim Duncan 20
Michael Jordan 24
Bill Russell 25

Total playoff rounds won to win titles, including byes:

Duncan 20
Jordan 24
Russell 33

Total teams in league defeated to win titles:

Duncan 143
Jordan 162
Russell 92

Odds of winning rings if all teams equal:

Duncan 22,707,000 to 1
Jordan 480,048,687 to 1
Russell 40,633,270,272 to 1

Total teammates who played at least one playoff game

Duncan 42
Jordan 30
Russell 37

Research site here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/

:flag:

RD2191
08-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Bill Russel's rings don't count. :lol

RD2191
08-21-2014, 06:59 PM
Duncan would destroy Russell.

RD2191
08-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Do people even look at Russell's stats? Dude was garbage offensively.

Galileo
08-21-2014, 07:15 PM

Russell was great on offense, not as a shooter, but as a slasher, pick-setter, passer, offensive rebounder, and moving without the ball.

RD2191
08-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Russell was great on offense, not as a shooter, but as a slasher, pick-setter, passer, offensive rebounder, and moving without the ball.
Not better than Duncan. Not even close.

Buddy Mignon
08-21-2014, 07:34 PM

Jim's stats are pretty average.

Spurs 4 The Win
08-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Lmfao, nobody here even watched that overrated scrub Russel play. He played against middle class white men, no shit he won an assload of titles. He would probably just be another guy in today's NBA but since he was the first good player he cleaned out the 8 team NBA back then.

RD2191
08-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Lmfao, nobody here even watched that overrated scrub Russel play. He played against middle class white men, no shit he won an assload of titles. He would probably just be another guy in today's NBA but since he was the first good player he cleaned out the 8 team NBA back then.
most important part, imo

Thebesteva
08-21-2014, 08:03 PM
The inability to repeat is a huge blemish on Duncan's career. This is his last chance to repeat

Galileo
08-21-2014, 10:59 PM
Not better than Duncan. Not even close.

I didn't say Russell was better on offense than Duncan. Each had their own advantages. Russell was quicker, better offensive rebounder, better slasher, more assists, and averaged 15 pts. per game.

Duncan was taller, longer arms, bigger hands, better shooter, better low post game.

ambchang
08-22-2014, 10:37 AM
People bashing Russell's era must have missed Perkins and Joel Anthony starting for championship contenders.

Our spurs were playing Matt bonner heavy minutes just a few years ago.

dbestpro
08-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Willis Reed
Nate Thurmond
Wilt Chamberlin
Wes Unseld
Zelmo Beaty
Elvin Hayes
Elgin Baylor
Clyde Lee
Walt Bellamy

The centers of that day were not exactly your next door neighbor. They played like beasts. For example, Clyde Lovellette of the Celtics knocked a couple of Wilt's front teeth into the roof of his mouth on one play. Wilt was so strong he broke an opponent's toe with a dunk. Centers in today's NBA are maybe the poorest they have ever been. Let's not even start with the SGs.

Spurs 4 The Win
08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Willis Reed
Nate Thurmond
Wilt Chamberlin
Wes Unseld
Zelmo Beaty
Elvin Hayes
Elgin Baylor
Clyde Lee
Walt Bellamy

The centers of that day were not exactly your next door neighbor. They played like beasts. For example, Clyde Lovellette of the Celtics knocked a couple of Wilt's front teeth into the roof of his mouth on one play. Wilt was so strong he broke an opponent's toe with a dunk. Centers in today's NBA are maybe the poorest they have ever been. Let's not even start with the SGs.

That era is just weaker compared to the later eras with Bird, Magic, and Jordan, that is when the NBA really began. Before that it was still developing.

jimbo
08-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Willis Reed
Nate Thurmond
Wilt Chamberlin
Wes Unseld
Zelmo Beaty
Elvin Hayes
Elgin Baylor
Clyde Lee
Walt Bellamy

I really hope you're not trying to argue that the players back then were even close to what we can find today. There's dudes like Patric Young who won't even be rotation players in the league that could bust Wilts face too. There's no shortage of aggressive athletic guys around 6'10 that are way more muscular than people back then. Problem is they can't play basketball (or are getting paid as LT/RTs in the NFL)

J.T.
08-22-2014, 12:28 PM
People will always look at the rings first, however I think Duncan's ultimate legacy will be the consecutive 50+ win seasons and never missing the playoffs. Granted those could break if he keeps playing after he should have consciously retired, but I think he will give it only another year or two, and with Parker still at the end of his prime and Leonard continuing to develop an all-around offensive skillset, its almost a lock that the Spurs will continue to be playoff contenders even with Duncan's decline.

LkrFan
08-22-2014, 07:05 PM
:corn:

dbreiden83080
08-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Considering that Bill Russell has nothing but respect and admiration for Tim Duncan, in fact I believe he has called him his favorite player there is no need to bash Bill Russell in order to prop up Tim Duncan.

ohmwrecker
08-22-2014, 08:53 PM
There is no rational explanation for anything Rob says.

daslicer
08-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Considering that Bill Russell has nothing but respect and admiration for Tim Duncan, in fact I believe he has called him his favorite player there is no need to bash Bill Russell in order to prop up Tim Duncan.

It seems like all the legendary great bigmen have a tremendous amount of respect for Duncan. I know Jabbar has said a countless bunch of times that Duncan is his favorite player. Wilt Chamberlain before he died during the the spurs 99 playoff run also spoke highly of Duncan. I guess a lot of it has to do with Duncan's old school demeanor.

dbestpro
08-23-2014, 01:03 AM
I really hope you're not trying to argue that the players back then were even close to what we can find today. There's dudes like Patric Young who won't even be rotation players in the league that could bust Wilts face too. There's no shortage of aggressive athletic guys around 6'10 that are way more muscular than people back then. Problem is they can't play basketball (or are getting paid as LT/RTs in the NFL)

That would be the same Wilt who could bench 465 pounds at age 59. You might slide on trying to dismiss some of the others, mainly because you never got to see them play, but you lose all credibility when you talk flatulently about Wilt.

dbreiden83080
08-23-2014, 10:25 AM
It seems like all the legendary great bigmen have a tremendous amount of respect for Duncan. I know Jabbar has said a countless bunch of times that Duncan is his favorite player. Wilt Chamberlain before he died during the the spurs 99 playoff run also spoke highly of Duncan. I guess a lot of it has to do with Duncan's old school demeanor.

This is my favorite pic from the title celebration I have it up in my house along with several others.. These guys are true legends of the game with nothing but respect for one another.. It's nice to see..

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/450689314-tim-duncan-of-the-san-antonio-spurs-and-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QWloG6aoy63%2BWPOLyfhHBJ%2Fj TXgXzyWpwm7ODigvQLJi

Buddy Mignon
08-23-2014, 10:52 AM

I'm not buying any of this bullshit. And you think Jim is old school? I thought cucking was a new school thing, but I could be wrong.

jimbo
08-23-2014, 11:37 AM
That would be the same Wilt who could bench 465 pounds at age 59. You might slide on trying to dismiss some of the others, mainly because you never got to see them play, but you lose all credibility when you talk flatulently about Wilt.

I'm sure that 465 bench created a barrier around his face that prevented people born in 1980 or later from touching his face.

No shit Wilt was a freak. I was laughing at that you would even bother bringing up that someone broke someone's teeth on a play--as if it were even relevant to basketball. If you want a big athletic body (which is all you need to break teeth), you'll find 20x more of them in today's game w/ modern drugs.