PDA

View Full Version : Thunder: Serge Ibaka is one of the most overrated defenders in the league...

apalisoc_9
08-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Don't get me wrong, he's an elite help defender..But for a poor post defender and mediocre PnR defender, it's sad we have dumbasses who think he deserves a mention for DPOY..

It's such a sad state IMO. Everything about hype, and fame..Intellectually dishonest writers.

spurraider21
08-22-2014, 11:13 AM
For all those "weaknesses" his impact on that end isn't really deniable

Malik Hairston
08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
I have to disagree, tbh..

A lot of people criticize his post defense and overall defensive awareness, which are valid criticisms, but his impact as a rim protector is as good as it gets in the league..his impact on a game is very evident whenever he's on the court, especially against the Spurs..

The most overrated defensive big in the league is easily DeAndre Jordan, off the top of my head..

TDMVPDPOY
08-22-2014, 11:29 AM
lol camps in the lane

apalisoc_9
08-22-2014, 11:38 AM
I have to disagree, tbh..

A lot of people criticize his post defense and overall defensive awareness, which are valid criticisms, but his impact as a rim protector is as good as it gets in the league..his impact on a game is very evident whenever he's on the court, especially against the Spurs..

The most overrated defensive big in the league is easily DeAndre Jordan, off the top of my head..

IMO, that has to do with how most teams generally play nowadys..drive and kick, drive, or shoot from the outside..

There's not a whole lot of good post up bigs nowadys in the league to expose Ibaka, IMO..If Ibaka had to play a Duncan-Robinson team, he'd be breakfast.

I just don't think a player who has flaws on the defensive end should be considered for DPOY...

Ibaka has never been good against teams with two scoring bigs...It's rare, but I've seen it.

He's a great rim protector, I agree.

Raven
08-22-2014, 12:01 PM
i'm not sure you remember Cojo had to happen for us to put it into those guys ass...

ambchang
08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
His defense is similar to theo Ratliff back in the day. Great help defender so so man defender.

Baam
08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Damn you're even dumber than Testies, you're probably a legit retard so I won't hate too much but your threads are just terrible, shit take after shit take...

RD2191
08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
Splitter>Ibaka :wakeup

ElNono
08-22-2014, 02:19 PM
I'm not even sure I would take Noah over him, tbh... I mean, Noah is the better rebounder, but I would rank them about the same on P&R and man to man defense. Abaka is the much, much better shot blocker and weak side defender. Offensively there's no comparison, obviously...

Captivus
08-22-2014, 02:21 PM
I think he is rated correctly.

JohnnyMax
08-22-2014, 02:31 PM
He defended Blake Griffin better than anyone I have seen

Franklin
08-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Dude is twice the shotblocker the prime birdman is tbh. Yes his 1on1 and PnR defenses are rather mediocre but the likes of Ben Wallace only come once or twice in a generation imho, and Ibaka's offensive game is like 10 times better than Ben's. I'd still rather have TC on my team for defensive purposes, though.

Kool Bob Love
08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
He really disagreed with himself tho.....bruh.

08-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Lol @ criticizing his pnr defense when his pnr defense is his second most important skill behind shot blocking. His one-to-one D is suspect, but he makes up for it tbh.

Chinook
08-22-2014, 08:26 PM
Ibaka is a great defender with some easy-to-exploit weaknesses. I think LAC beats the Thunder if Hawes can lock down the five. Serge is the best at what he does well, but I'd rather have Splitter than him if it came down to getting a crucial stop at the end of a game.

SpurSwag
08-23-2014, 10:47 AM
I used to agree with him being overrated, but he isn't. His presence literally changes everything OKC does, and you can tell players completely rethink going to the rim when he's in the game. His pnr defense is fine, like others have said its his 1 on 1 post defense that isn't great, but in this league right now that doesn't mean much. Serge has turned into a pretty great young player tbh, his offensive game is still expanding and he's probably the league's best rim protector.

LkrFan
08-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, he's an elite help defender..But for a poor post defender and mediocre PnR defender, it's sad we have dumbasses who think he deserves a mention for DPOY..

It's such a sad state IMO. Everything about hype, and fame..Intellectually dishonest writers.

Healthy Ibaka owns Tammy the way Amare used to. Lucky for you fatnecks that he got hurt. :tu

Leetonidas
08-23-2014, 03:59 PM
I disagree. Spurs absolutely raped OKC without him. With a hobbled Ibaka they put up a decent fight. He changes the entire defense for that team. Not DPOY but he certainly is one of the top 5 most valuable defensive players to his team tbh

DAF86
08-23-2014, 04:30 PM
I guess Pop is intellectually dishonest too, since he said Ibaka is the best defender in the league.

apalisoc_9
08-23-2014, 04:34 PM
I guess Pop is intellectually dishonest too, since he said Ibaka is the best defender in the league.

He also said he never runs plays for kawhi which we all know is an absolute lie.

Perry Mason
08-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Healthy Ibaka owns Tammy the way Amare used to. Lucky for you fatnecks that he got hurt. :tu

Come again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjlpwyomo20