PDA

View Full Version : Got a job as a para professional for special Ed...

TheyCallMePro
08-22-2014, 07:32 PM
So today I interviewed for a job at a local high school to be a para professional assistant for Special Ed. Was surprised when they called me and said I got it, because I was nervous as hell in the interview. I'm just out of college and needed to get something so I wouldn't starve, and I really need the teaching experience if I ever want to be hired as a full fledged teacher. It doesn't pay much, like 11.20 an hour, but it's my first 'real' job that's not part-time.

Don't really know what to expect. Anyone ever had a job like this? They said I'd be going from classroom to classroom helping special needs kids. They said it can be difficult. I'm a little nervous. Any advice is appreciated.

The Reckoning
08-22-2014, 07:42 PM
congrats on your forum moderation appointment :tu

TheyCallMePro
08-22-2014, 07:55 PM
congrats on your forum moderation appointment :tu

Things are going to be different around here!

SnakeBoy
08-22-2014, 08:00 PM
From what I understand, it's the type of job you need to have a real passion for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLBLX6GPNc

And don't touch their ears.

DJR210
08-22-2014, 08:51 PM
That's cool that you're able to start your career, but that starting pay is a straight up slap in the face. Why even go to school to get entry level pay?

DMC
08-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Congrats

chunticakes
08-22-2014, 09:07 PM
congrats. special ed kids? maybe you can teach no lyfe scrub a thing or two...

baseline bum
08-22-2014, 09:09 PM
It means you babysit the worst gangbangers in school until they get shot, go to jail, or dropout. I hope you're big and black.

TheyCallMePro
08-22-2014, 09:41 PM
It means you babysit the worst gangbangers in school until they get shot, go to jail, or dropout. I hope you're big and black.

Skinny and white. And I'm kind of worried about this. I've heard stories...

SnakeBoy
08-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Seriously, is that what special ed means these days?

RD2191
08-22-2014, 09:48 PM
:lol

baseline bum
08-22-2014, 10:03 PM

At least in Texas that's what it means.

SnakeBoy
08-22-2014, 10:13 PM
At least in Texas that's what it means.

Damn, then that's a messed up job for $11/hr. When I was in school special ed was for mentally handicapped, trouble makers just got sent to Center School.

I have a niece that went to Korea to teach when she got out of college, she loves it over there.

http://www.eslemployment.com/teaching-jobs-in-korea-apply-now-for-2014-public-school-positions-various-south-korea-41353949.htm

I'd be seriously thinking about heading to Korea before I babysat gangbangers for $11/hr.

baseline bum
08-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Damn, then that's a messed up job for $11/hr. When I was in school special ed was for mentally handicapped, trouble makers just got sent to Center School.

Way back in high school I knew a couple of people who got sent to the district's off-campus school for fuck-ups, for things like selling drugs at school, bringing guns, terrorist threats, terrorist actions, etc. But for the most part the gangsters and people who constantly got in fights were in the special-ed classes on campus. It's probably a lot worse now though with all the budget cuts in Texas education.

SnakeBoy
08-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Well where do the kids on the miniature yellow bus go these days.

bigzak25
08-22-2014, 10:26 PM
Highschool special ed is no picnic. We'll see how long you last for that pay. Find the teacher with experience that isn't just another jaded asshole and follow their lead.

If you don't want to do that, then my best advice is to beat the biggest autistic kids ass on the first day.

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2014, 10:29 PM
enjoy being disillisioned and remember it's only a stepping stone to what you really want to do

xmas1997
08-22-2014, 10:50 PM
So today I interviewed for a job at a local high school to be a para professional assistant for Special Ed. Was surprised when they called me and said I got it, because I was nervous as hell in the interview. I'm just out of college and needed to get something so I wouldn't starve, and I really need the teaching experience if I ever want to be hired as a full fledged teacher. It doesn't pay much, like 11.20 an hour, but it's my first 'real' job that's not part-time.

Don't really know what to expect. Anyone ever had a job like this? They said I'd be going from classroom to classroom helping special needs kids. They said it can be difficult. I'm a little nervous. Any advice is appreciated.

Good going, I wish you well.

RD2191
08-22-2014, 10:53 PM
No offense but how the hell does anyone survive with 11.20 an hour? Do you live in a small town?

TE
08-22-2014, 10:58 PM
This little job you'll have will make you want to do something else. Special Ed students in Texas now fulfill the really troubled kids. Are you going to be working in the SA area?

Trainwreck2100
08-22-2014, 11:00 PM
No offense but how the hell does anyone survive with 11.20 an hour? Do you live in a small town?

how old are you?

TE
08-22-2014, 11:00 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao Damn I didn't read this post. Should've just quoted this.

RD2191
08-22-2014, 11:01 PM
how old are you?
23, why?

SnakeBoy
08-22-2014, 11:20 PM
I saw a job opening sign in Rudy's BBQ sometime ago and I think it was like $9.50/hr to start, so $11.50/hr for someone with a degree to do that job does seem really horrible. Do you get free medical after they kick your ass?

baseline bum
08-22-2014, 11:27 PM
You should ask for more tbh. If they're hiring you like 3 days before school starts you're their only option.

Biernutz
08-22-2014, 11:29 PM
helping kids :tu

baseline bum
08-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Or maybe get a job as a prison guard. Same job, probably better pay, and you'll be allowed to beat the shit out of your trouble kids tbh. Plus you can make some money on the side bringing heroin in.

FkLA
08-22-2014, 11:40 PM
23, why?

dafuq i always thought you were a middle aged man for some reason

RD2191
08-22-2014, 11:43 PM
:lolNo way, still relatively young.

TheyCallMePro
08-23-2014, 01:23 AM
This little job you'll have will make you want to do something else. Special Ed students in Texas now fulfill the really troubled kids. Are you going to be working in the SA area?

Yeah SA. It's a nice school so hopefully it won't be too bad. But I know I'm going into the lions den. Won't be any fun, that's for sure.

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2014, 01:25 AM
11.20 PER HOUR? wtf thats slave labour man

TE
08-23-2014, 02:33 AM
Yeah SA. It's a nice school so hopefully it won't be too bad. But I know I'm going into the lions den. Won't be any fun, that's for sure.
Well if you like to deal with people, it'll be at least something you're comfortable of doing. But being exposed to that particular student demographic will get you the worse of the worst. Why didn't you just become a full fledged teacher? Fuck man, I can't imagine earning wages. You should look into getting a job for Spring. I've heard SA offers plenty of opportunities.

TDMVPDPOY
08-23-2014, 08:30 AM
come teach down here,, ur still young..go teach in the outback get paid 2x as city slickers

mrsmaalox
08-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Congrats on the job. I have a friend who did that for a couple of years (in the Judson school district) after she finished school and was getting her certifications. It's a very hard job. The students are pretty severe, mostly austistic and cerebral palsy, about half of them wheelchair bound and needing LOTS of assistance with activities of daily life (incontinence and feeding). Most of the students also have learning disabilities and severe behavior problems; there is more "behavior modification" than actual teaching occurring. It's a very physical and very messy job.

Then there's the parents. They run the gamut from very defensive and interfering, to dirtbags who just don't give a shit, to very poor, uneducated and ignorant. Lots of legal and CPS actions usually going on.

THEN there's the staff. Very political. It's a snakepit of soulless zombies, activists, the power hungry, sadists, whistleblowers, and yes men. If you can get into the actual job and stay out of the rest of it you will learn a lot and be ready for just about anything. Good luck to you :toast

TheyCallMePro
08-23-2014, 12:56 PM
Congrats on the job. I have a friend who did that for a couple of years (in the Judson school district) after she finished school and was getting her certifications. It's a very hard job. The students are pretty severe, mostly austistic and cerebral palsy, about half of them wheelchair bound and needing LOTS of assistance with activities of daily life (incontinence and feeding). Most of the students also have learning disabilities and severe behavior problems; there is more "behavior modification" than actual teaching occurring. It's a very physical and very messy job.

Then there's the parents. They run the gamut from very defensive and interfering, to dirtbags who just don't give a shit, to very poor, uneducated and ignorant. Lots of legal and CPS actions usually going on.

THEN there's the staff. Very political. It's a snakepit of soulless zombies, activists, the power hungry, sadists, whistleblowers, and yes men. If you can get into the actual job and stay out of the rest of it you will learn a lot and be ready for just about anything. Good luck to you :toast

Thanks for the info.

Malik Hairston
08-23-2014, 01:14 PM
You should come to Canada to teach, tbh..Canadian teachers are severely over-paid, probably the cushiest job in the country, if you can land a position..

cantthinkofanything
08-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Cool. I'm surprised that the let them all in a plane at once.

Franklin
08-23-2014, 07:08 PM
The difficulty to find the right pussies to sleep with in Canada would more than negate the pay rise imho, unless he could reap as much fun sucking guys dicks as some other ST poster does.

baseline bum
09-02-2014, 10:07 AM
So dis nigga still alive?

The Reckoning
09-02-2014, 10:20 AM
11.20 PER HOUR? wtf thats slave labour man

welcome to america. if you're making 12 an hour you're doing well.

m>s
09-02-2014, 01:16 PM
We can't all be pushing 30 and still enrolled at Utsa

FkLA
09-02-2014, 01:40 PM
They give you a lunch break at your insurance company ?

m>s
09-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Dumb, u deserve a Puerto Rican flag for that