PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: USAB: Would Kawhi have made the roster?

hyhy
08-23-2014, 11:42 AM
USA Basketball World Cup Roster announced: Rose, Curry, Irving, Thompson, DeRozan, Harden, Faried, Cousins, Davis, Gay, Drummond, Plumlee.

With this roster, do you think kawhi would have made it?
If yes, who would he have replaced?

smaka
08-23-2014, 11:50 AM
Of course he would. USA could easily go with 3 centers instead of 4, so Plumlee or maybe Drummond would be cut.

Robz4000
08-23-2014, 12:07 PM
If Kawhi had decided to participate Gay would never of received an invite.

Brunodf
08-23-2014, 12:22 PM
Of course, replacing Gay ou Derozan

Malik Hairston
08-23-2014, 12:55 PM
:lol I haven't been paying attention to USA basketball at all..damn, that's an awful roster, tbh..

Faried, Gay and Plumlee?:lmao..

UZER
08-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Nope...system player - KD

Would've been cool if Kawhi signed up after KD dropped out.

8FOR!3
08-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Yeah I mean I think he's better than Rudy Gay at the 3 anyways lol.

DAF86
08-23-2014, 02:48 PM
lol that's a dangerous looking squad for team US, tbh.

daslicer
08-23-2014, 04:32 PM
:lol I haven't been paying attention to USA basketball at all..damn, that's an awful roster, tbh..

They are not that good the two games they played against Brazil and Puerto Rico were close for the first 3 quarters. The difference every time has been Davis asserting himself in the second half of those games which allowed the US to go on big runs.

Franklin
08-23-2014, 06:41 PM
If I were the coach I'd have picked Kawhi over Deronzan who's grossly overrated just because he has privilege to stat pad on a shitty team. Faried and Lee need to stay cuz you need more depth for the big man rotation in case of potential injuries & foul troubles imho.

JohnnyMax
08-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Would've loved to see who the better defender is between Kawhi and Klay Thompson

Chinook
08-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Would've loved to see who the better defender is between Kawhi and Klay Thompson

Kawhi. Not really much of a contest.

RD2191
08-23-2014, 07:24 PM
:lol

Buddy Mignon
08-23-2014, 07:27 PM

We know who the better scorer is... that's for sure, faggot.

100%duncan
08-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Your poll is badly done. But yes.

Buddy Mignon
08-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Kiwi was smart in taking advice from his agent by pulling ou of the Olympics. It would have been a blow to his fragile career if he had been cut from the team. Not quite as bad as Jim actually quitting.

Venti Quattro
08-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Absolutely. Championship experience in the team is invaluable. Replace that wigger Plumlee with Kawhi

pgardn
08-23-2014, 11:46 PM
He does not need the ball.
He is a True SF which the team lacks.

He can board and get lose balls. Long if they zone up.

Absolutely.
But so glad he declined.

ezau
08-24-2014, 02:04 AM
That USA squad is gonna get raped by Spain in the Finals.

lefty
08-24-2014, 02:29 AM
http://ru-crazy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/1992-dream-team-jordan-magic-620x444.jpg

apalisoc_9
08-24-2014, 10:32 AM

:lmao:lmao
:lmao

We know who the better scorer is... that's for sure, faggot.

Kawhi is the better and more versatile scorer...Better shooter, Post up player, etc

SpurSwag
08-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Kawhi is the better and more versatile scorer...Better shooter, Post up player, etc

Come on man, there's no way on earth you think kawhi is a better shooter than klay thompson...

testies
08-24-2014, 11:57 AM

shut up

hyhy
08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Come on man, there's no way on earth you think kawhi is a better shooter than klay thompson...

Regular Season Career Field Goal %
kawhi Leonard FG% by distance

0-3
3-10
10-16
16 <3
3P

Klay Thompson FG% by distance

Only thing Klay thompson is better at shooting is 3pointers. everything else Kawhi is a better shooter

Come playoffs

Kawhi Leonard

0-3
3-10
10-16
16 <3
3P

Klay Thompson

Kawhi Leonard > Klay Thompson in shooting

Spurs 4 The Win
08-25-2014, 11:25 AM

0-3
3-10
10-16
16 <3
3P

Only thing Klay thompson is better at shooting is 3pointers. everything else Kawhi is a better shooter

Come playoffs

Kawhi Leonard

0-3
3-10
10-16
16 <3
3P

Klay Thompson

hyhy taking a hot shit on everyone per par :lol

SpurSwag
08-25-2014, 02:45 PM

0-3
3-10
10-16
16 <3
3P

Come playoffs

Kawhi Leonard

0-3
3-10
10-16
16 <3
3P

Klay Thompson

The fact that you are basing this argument on stats shows exactly why eye test is so much more important. this is coming from a huge spurs fan and kawhi fan too. Kawhi's 3's are almost all wide open shots within a set play in rhythm, whereas klay takes many more contested, off balanced shots and hits them. That's not to say he's a better player or that he should be praised for taking worse shots, but it does speak to him being a great shooter. Klay is a much more dangerous threat from outside, and I know just as well as you do that if we both had an option between leaving klay open for a jumper or kawhi, we'd definitely leave kawhi open. Kawhi is a very good shooter, surprisingly good actually considering where he was 3 years ago, but he definitely isn't on par with Klay. Klay may be the best shooting 2 guard in the league, disregarding Ray Allen. I don't really consider numbers within 10 feet relevant to this cuz most of those shots are lay ups / floaters in traffic, but I think most would agree Kawhi isn't on Klay's level as a shooter.

apalisoc_9
08-25-2014, 04:20 PM
The fact that you are basing this argument on stats shows exactly why eye test is so much more important. this is coming from a huge spurs fan and kawhi fan too. Kawhi's 3's are almost all wide open shots within a set play in rhythm, whereas klay takes many more contested, off balanced shots and hits them. That's not to say he's a better player or that he should be praised for taking worse shots, but it does speak to him being a great shooter. Klay is a much more dangerous threat from outside, and I know just as well as you do that if we both had an option between leaving klay open for a jumper or kawhi, we'd definitely leave kawhi open. Kawhi is a very good shooter, surprisingly good actually considering where he was 3 years ago, but he definitely isn't on par with Klay. Klay may be the best shooting 2 guard in the league, disregarding Ray Allen. I don't really consider numbers within 10 feet relevant to this cuz most of those shots are lay ups / floaters in traffic, but I think most would agree Kawhi isn't on Klay's level as a shooter.

Only 50% of kawhi's shots are assisted..most of klay and kawhi's 3s are assisted...about 75% so
You are full of bull

Spurs 4 The Win
08-25-2014, 05:05 PM
Only 50% of kawhi's shots are assisted..most of klay and kawhi's 3s are assisted...about 75% so
You are full of bull

Spurs Swag is getting clowned, apalisoc_9 with no regard for human life :lmao

SpurSwag
08-25-2014, 05:41 PM
You are full of bull

I don't have stats to back upy argument just cuz truthfully I don't fully believe in stats as I don't think they tell the whole story, but you really think most nba players themselves respect kawhis shot over klays? You really mean to tell me you expect kawhis long range jumpers to fall more than klays?

apalisoc_9
08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't have stats to back upy argument just cuz truthfully I don't fully believe in stats as I don't think they tell the whole story, but you really think most nba players themselves respect kawhis shot over klays? You really mean to tell me you expect kawhis long range jumpers to fall more than klays?
I yeah i think 50% has a better chance than 40%

Jeff Leppard
08-25-2014, 05:55 PM
:lol he's better than half the blokes on that team!

Spurs 4 The Win
08-25-2014, 06:34 PM
I yeah i think 50% has a better chance than 40%

:lmao Someone help Spurs Swag, this is a TKO

SpurSwag
08-25-2014, 06:45 PM
:lmao Someone help Spurs Swag, this is a TKO

...am I actually wrong here? I thought it was pretty commonly understood that while kawhi is the better player, klay is a better shooter. I'll take the L if I'm wrong but idk what is klays value then if he isn't an elite shooter? By no means is kawhi one of the top 10 jump shooters in the nba, yet if he's better than klay, why is he so valuable that he couldn't be thrown in for Kevin love ( a stance that many understood actually). It isn't his defense, which is solid but not all nba defensive team worthy.

SpurSwag
08-25-2014, 06:46 PM
Might make a thread about this tbh I wanna know what everyone thinks

hyhy
08-26-2014, 12:27 AM

Shooting is not just about 3pointers. from 10 feet to just within 3P, Kawhi is a much better shooter than Klay. Come playoffs where teams actually play defense, Kawhi is better at every aspect.

Now if you are going to talk about leaving guys open, would you rather leave Klay open for a jumper, or Kobe open for a jumper up 1 at the last 10 secs? Just wanna hear your opinion

hyhy
08-26-2014, 12:40 AM

Stats dun tell the story when you are talking about a better player as a whole. Like for example, Is kobe a better player or Lebron. Stats dun tell how good a defensive player you are, how all rounded you are, how well you pass the ball etc. Yes there may be stats like defensive efficiency, assists etc, but those are based largely on a team basis. However, Shooting percentage is very straight forward. Yes Klay may have made much more attempts than Kawhi, but you cant just say because of that, Klay is the better shooter even though his % is obviously lower. Thats like saying Kobe bryant is the best shooter in the league because he made the most field goals. We do not know whether with increased usage, Kawhi's % will drop or not and by the seasons, so far Kawhi's numbers have been consistent or even improving with increased usage.

You cant argue that Kawhi shoots more open shots, so his % will be higher. That doesnt justify anything. In fact, part of being a good shooter is to pick good shots. If Klay's % drops because he takes bad shots, that just shows he is a bad shooter. Moreover, that is not really the case as Curry is the one handling the ball. He dribbles around like mad and only when Klay is open when people help off him to prevent Curry from shooting, then the ball goes to Klay. You will rarely see a isolation for Klay. Whereas, Kawhi takes more isolation shot, pull up dribbles in front of the defender's face than Klay. (going by eye test here since you like eye tests so much)

SpurSwag
08-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Shooting is not just about 3pointers. from 10 feet to just within 3P, Kawhi is a much better shooter than Klay. Come playoffs where teams actually play defense, Kawhi is better at every aspect.

Now if you are going to talk about leaving guys open, would you rather leave Klay open for a jumper, or Kobe open for a jumper up 1 at the last 10 secs? Just wanna hear your opinion

I'd probably pick Kobe, but that's mainly because I actually think Kobe is a pretty damn elite shooter when he's absolutely wide open. That might be wrong but I feel like whenever he's open and has to hit the shot, he usually comes through.

hyhy
08-26-2014, 01:11 AM
I'd probably pick Kobe, but that's mainly because I actually think Kobe is a pretty damn elite shooter when he's absolutely wide open. That might be wrong but I feel like whenever he's open and has to hit the shot, he usually comes through.

So is Klay or Kobe a better shooter?

SpurSwag
08-26-2014, 01:15 AM
So is Klay or Kobe a better shooter?

I'm pretty torn on that actually. I feel like Klay has better shooting mechanics and a more pure shot, whereas Kobe can hit from literally any where off of more incredible moves. It's hard for me to pick, Klay is like a sniper where as Kobe is like an AK or something if that makes sense. Klay is the better spot up shooter, kobe is the better off the dribble shooter and can shoot out of the post better. I guess I'd say Kobe.

SpurSwag
08-26-2014, 01:16 AM
It depends on what being a good shooter is though. If being a good shooter is taking and making open looks, then Klay is probably a better shooter than Kobe. But if being a good shooter is being able to hit shots from all angles, contested or not, off different moves and such, Kobe is one of the best shooters ever. He's considered one of the best shot makers ever, and the 2nd half of his career has been largely contested long 2's, though his shooting percentages have never been great because of that. Tough call

TDMVPDPOY
08-26-2014, 01:17 AM
rose prioritizing national duty then his day job...lmao play 1 game and sit out for the season again?

hyhy
08-26-2014, 01:21 AM

I'm pretty torn on that actually. I feel like Klay has better shooting mechanics and a more pure shot, whereas Kobe can hit from literally any where off of more incredible moves. It's hard for me to pick, Klay is like a sniper where as Kobe is like an AK or something if that makes sense. Klay is the better spot up shooter, kobe is the better off the dribble shooter and can shoot out of the post better. I guess I'd say Kobe.

It depends on what being a good shooter is though. If being a good shooter is taking and making open looks, then Klay is probably a better shooter than Kobe. But if being a good shooter is being able to hit shots from all angles, contested or not, off different moves and such, Kobe is one of the best shooters ever. He's considered one of the best shot makers ever, and the 2nd half of his career has been largely contested long 2's, though his shooting percentages have never been great because of that. Tough call

So.. you pick kobe for a open shot over Klay, but you say Klay is the better spot up shooter?

SpurSwag
08-26-2014, 01:25 AM
So.. you pick kobe for a open shot over Klay, but you say Klay is the better spot up shooter?[/COLOR]

The 10 seconds left in the game influenced that decision too tbh

hyhy
08-26-2014, 01:29 AM
The 10 seconds left in the game influenced that decision too tbh

Ah, so you think Klay is a better shooter than Kobe, but Kobe is more clutch than Klay?

SpurSwag
08-26-2014, 01:34 AM
Ah, so you think Klay is a better shooter than Kobe, but Kobe is more clutch than Klay?

Essentially

SpurSwag
08-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Kobe makes this complicated though, part of me thinks he has been the best shooter in the league during a big chunk of his prime considering how routinely he'd make incredibly difficult jump shots and how hot he could get at times, but other times I remember him clanking long 2 after long 2. Really unsure about this tbh

hyhy
08-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Even though all statistics show that Kobe has the lowest field goal % in clutch times among other players?

ElNono
08-26-2014, 02:50 AM
I think Spain is going to rape in this World Cup... Gasol brothers + Abaka... it's going to take a monumental effort by Davis to beat them, and he's going to have to play every minute, because lol Faried...

100%duncan
08-26-2014, 04:07 AM
I think Spain is going to rape in this World Cup... Gasol brothers + Abaka... it's going to take a monumental effort by Davis to beat them, and he's going to have to play every minute, because lol Faried...

I think USA rapes them imho. But you seem to have a good sight of the future(according to bumped threads) so I'd rather not argue with you. :lol

Calispursfan11
08-26-2014, 06:27 AM

Faried is a dyke and Rudy is gay.

moisaenz
08-26-2014, 08:34 AM
i don't see another Finals MVP on that roster.