PDA

View Full Version : When The Game Stands Tall

Avante
08-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Since that is a movie why not here?

As we know it's a movie about De La Salle football. And that 150 game winning streak, who can tell me what school broke that streak?

Anyway...

I've seen them play many times, once in person vs Clovis West (east of Fresno) the first thing you notice is they make very few mistakes and don't act stupid after making a play. Very disciplined, very smart.

Thinking about that 150 game winning streak got me thinking about...

Bedford County Training School an all black school in Tennessee. From 1943-49 they went undefeated and untied. For the first three years of that streak no team got pass the fifty yard line on them. For the first 52 games of the 78 game winning streak no team scored on them.

Colgate went undefeated in 1932 and unscored on, it was 227-0, the average game 33-0.

Way back in the day Georgia Tech 222 Cumberland 0.

Then there was Michigan from 1901 to 1905, they scored over 2000 points giving up...37. They scored over 100 points 4 times (130 the most) while having 48 shutouts. When they did finally lose is was the last game of 1905..Chicago 2 Michigan 0. The previous season Chicago scored 12 on them, the most points anyone scored in that time frame.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 02:46 PM
I struggle with football movies that are based on High School football. It's a sport where everyone makes the team.

I loved Remember the Titans though, right up until I read the real story and found out that Disney basically changed everything.

Cry Havoc
08-24-2014, 02:51 PM
I struggle with football movies that are based on High School football. It's a sport where everyone makes the team.

I loved Remember the Titans though, right up until I read the real story and found out that Disney basically changed everything.

Friday Night Lights is really the only "great" football show I've ever seen, and that's because it's a series that takes time to develop a lot of depth to the characters. Highly, highly recommended.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Friday Night Lights is really the only "great" football show I've ever seen, and that's because it's a series that takes time to develop a lot of depth to the characters. Highly, highly recommended.

I never did watch that...heard a lot of good stuff about it. The movie was awful imo

Avante
08-24-2014, 03:04 PM

I like the stories we can only find in the high school game. Like this one...

When running backng Marcus Dupree was in HS (Philadelphia Miss) he was a 230 pounder with 9.5 jets returning kickoffs. All he would do is either score or run it back so deep into enemy territory his offense had little to do. So after a few weeks of this the teams QB's goes to his coach (representing the offense) with..."excuse coach but would it be possible to take Marcus off the kickoff team, we'd like to play"...haha!!!!!!!

Marcus Dupree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb4YJ1HaAP0

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:06 PM
I like the stories we can only find in the high school game. Like this one...

When running backng kickoff Marcus Dupree was in HS (Philadelphia Miss) he was a 225 pounder with 9.5 jets returning kickoffs. All he would do is either score or run it bsack so deep into enemy territory his offense had little to do. So after a few weeks of this the teams QB's goes to his coach (representing the offense) with..."excuse coach but would it be possible to take Marcus off the kickoff team, we'd like to play"...haha!!!!!!!

I guess I see your point. I still just can't get excited about watching 16 and 17 year olds playing sloppy football and then somehow trying to make it dramatic.

High School football is just so bad compared to the next level.

Avante
08-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I guess I see your point. I still just can't get excited about watching 16 and 17 year olds playing sloppy football and then somehow trying to make it dramatic.

High School football is just so bad compared to the next level.

I have to disagree, I've seen three HS games in the last two days and saw none of that at all. Watched the CIF title games last season and saw none of that.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:14 PM
I have to disagree, I've seen three HS games in the last two days and saw none of that at all. Watched the CIF title games last season and saw none of that.

Totally speaking from personal experience here, but I graduated high school in the late 90's. I was All State 5a as a linebacker in Colorado. I got a scholarship to D1 school and proceeded to get run the fuck off the field I'm one season.

I killed it in high school and the game was so easy to me...went to a D1 program and was so outmatched that I actually quit after one season and just went to college like a normal person. It was so dramatically different that I can't even explain it properly.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Maybe it's different now though but I find it hard to believe because it wasn't that long ago for me.

Cry Havoc
08-24-2014, 03:32 PM
I never did watch that...heard a lot of good stuff about it. The movie was awful imo

The movie was so hyped and I saw it, it was the most cookie cutter football movie, ugh.

The series has NOTHING to do with it, and is utterly fantastic.

Cry Havoc
08-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Totally speaking from personal experience here, but I graduated high school in the late 90's. I was All State 5a as a linebacker in Colorado. I got a scholarship to D1 school and proceeded to get run the fuck off the field I'm one season.

I killed it in high school and the game was so easy to me...went to a D1 program and was so outmatched that I actually quit after one season and just went to college like a normal person. It was so dramatically different that I can't even explain it properly.

A lot of people don't appreciate the ridiculous athleticism of guys at the highest level.

Your 320 pound offensive lineman has reflexes that blow away a normal person's. Speed, agility, timing, stamina, everything is off the charts, it's just not appreciated because they look fat and most people assume fat = slow.

Your average OLineman from the Cowboys could probably outrun 95% of the general populace despite being massive.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:36 PM
A lot of people don't appreciate the ridiculous athleticism of guys at the highest level.

Your 320 pound offensive lineman has reflexes that blow away a normal person's. Speed, agility, timing, stamina, everything is off the charts, it's just not appreciated because they look fat and most people assume fat = slow.

Your average OLineman from the Cowboys could probably outrun 95% of the general populace despite being massive.

That was what got me in college...I thought I was pretty god damned fast until I was getting just destroyed by guys that outweighed me by 80 pounds and we're just as fast.

Avante
08-24-2014, 06:42 PM

The biggest difference between today and back in the day is that size WITH speed combo. So many of these kids today 6-3 with jets or 230 pounds with jets or both. We just don't see these types of athletes in abundance back when like we do now.

Avante
08-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Maybe it's different now though but I find it hard to believe because it wasn't that long ago for me.

I have no problems saying the top HS programs today play a better brand if football than we see coming out of the SWAC/MEAC/NAIA schools.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 06:45 PM
The biggest difference between today and back in the day is that size WITH speed combo. So many of these kids today 6-3 with jets or 230 pounds with jets or both. We just don't see these types of athletes in abundance back when like we do now.

Yeah, but like I said, it was only the late 90's when I was in high school so it's not like it's "way back in the day".

Then again, it was Colorado, which isn't exactly known for it's football domination.

Still though, I've went and seen a few of the big Texas high school programs and I wasn't impressed.

Just my opinion though.

Avante
08-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Yeah, but like I said, it was only the late 90's when I was in high school so it's not like it's "way back in the day".

Then again, it was Colorado, which isn't exactly known for it's football domination.

Still though, I've went and seen a few of the big Texas high school programs and I wasn't impressed.

Just my opinion though.

The late 90's was over 15 years or so ago, that's a long time in sports. Hell, that's three Olympics. Where were the Seahawks 15 years ago? They was no Usian Bolt fifteen years ago (ya know what I mean). High school football is totally different than it was 15 years ago, I saw that today...televised HS game????

Avante
08-24-2014, 06:52 PM

Alabama would give Lombardi's Packers all they wanted.

And.....yes college teams have beaten the Pros before.

Avante
08-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Ranking the football movies

1.Remember the Titans
2.The Gridiron Gang
3.North Dallas Forty
4.Friday Night Lights

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 07:56 PM
The late 90's was over 15 years or so ago, that's a long time in sports. Hell, that's three Olympics. Where were the Seahawks 15 years ago? They was no Usian Bolt fifteen years ago (ya know what I mean). High school football is totally different than it was 15 years ago, I saw that today...televised HS game????

True.

I forget that I'm getting old sometimes...not near as old as your old ass, but I may catch up soon.

Avante
08-24-2014, 08:16 PM
True.

I forget that I'm getting old sometimes...not near as old as your old ass, but I may catch up soon.

That's my old....muscular...ass..ok little guy?

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 08:30 PM
That's my old....muscular...ass..ok little guy?

Lol...you of all people should know that age is an easy joke and fair game...I'm learning that more and more every day.

Cry Havoc
08-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Ranking the football movies

1.Remember the Titans
2.The Gridiron Gang
3.North Dallas Forty
4.Friday Night Lights

The Longest Yard.

Avante
08-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Lol...you of all people should know that age is an easy joke and fair game...I'm learning that more and more every day.

It is funny to watch how that goes on these boards (internet in general)

Clubber...look Avante I've been into the NFL since 1986 so what the fuck can you tell me?
Avante....so ya just missed those 85 Bears, bummer! Won't bore ya with those 63 Bears and thunder & lightnin' Rick Casares and Willie Galimore
Clubber..you Googled that.
Avante...ok man Google.....what NFL Hall of Famer did Galimore help recruit to FAMU
Clubber...ah...hmmm?...you're a pedo!
Avante...hahahaha!!!!!!!

Avante
08-24-2014, 08:52 PM
The Longest Yard.

WHAM!...that's me hitting myself up side the head. Yep, how about number 3?