PDA

View Full Version : Why don't cops use rubber bullets or tasers as much anymore?

Thebesteva
08-24-2014, 03:15 PM
I was watching this video of the 2nd black guy in St Louis who died recently after charging at the cops with a knife. Now I am all for them killing a crazy guy with a knife, but it seems like cops in general are ordered to kill first now a days. You know I'm the last guy to ever stand up for the poor black people and all that stuff, but Im just curious as to why cops are so gun happy now a days? It used to be taser happy just a few years back, now they just kill. I could be wrong though, I am pro law enforcement.

@3:15 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgAdKw43TaI

silverblk mystix
08-24-2014, 03:20 PM
It would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

If the cop shot a suspect with a rubber bullet - and the suspect shot and killed your kid - you would blame the cop.
If a rubber bullet took out an eye - you would blame the cop.

If the wind blows - you would blame a cop.

Thebesteva
08-24-2014, 03:21 PM

If the cop shot a suspect with a rubber bullet - and the suspect shot and killed your kid - you would blame the cop.

I dont disagree, but watch that video. As I said I am almost always defending the cops, but they didnt have to kill that guy. Guy was clearly mentally retarded and a simple taser would have done

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:22 PM

What do you think about all the fucked up cop stories lately?

silverblk mystix
08-24-2014, 03:25 PM
What do you think about all the fucked up cop stories lately?

I think that there is only one thing that has changed;

The technology/social media/internet monster that allows every little incident to be played endlessly worldwide - in a matter of nano-seconds and inflaming every armchair lawyer.

Otherwise - there has always been good cops, bad cops, dirty cops, prejudice, black haters, white haters, agendas, etc...

Now we are connected 24/7 and all we do is fight like little bitches day and night.

But...

WTF do I know...

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:29 PM
I think that there is only one thing that has changed;

The technology/social media/internet monster that allows every little incident to be played endlessly worldwide - in a matter of nano-seconds and inflaming every armchair lawyer.

Otherwise - there has always been good cops, bad cops, dirty cops, prejudice, black haters, white haters, agendas, etc...

Now we are connected 24/7 and all we do is fight like little bitches day and night.

But...

WTF do I know...

I agree actually...good/bad cops have existed since being a police officer was a thing.

Furthers my belief that the internet is the beginning of the end for society. It gives far to many stupid people a chance to have their opinions heard. Myself included!

silverblk mystix
08-24-2014, 03:30 PM
I agree actually...good/bad cops have existed since being a police officer was a thing.

Furthers my belief that the internet is the beginning of the end for society. It gives far to many stupid people a chance to have their opinions heard. Myself included!

Far be it for me to disagree with you!

:lmao

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Far be it for me to disagree with you!

:lmao

Look no further then your theory about programming...that was honestly the dumbest thing I've ever read and prior to the internet, no one would have had to suffer through such idiocy.

silverblk mystix
08-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Look no further then your theory about programming...that was honestly the dumbest thing I've ever read and prior to the internet, no one would have had to suffer through such idiocy.

Confirming that you are indeed one of those blind people that - when truth knocks at their door-

their blindness prevents them from answering the door and allowing truth to walk in.

:lmao:lmao

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:40 PM
So if I thought your theory was absolutely the dumbest shit ever written, I'm "blind"?

silverblk mystix
08-24-2014, 03:47 PM
So if I thought your theory was absolutely the dumbest shit ever written, I'm "blind"?

There are no if's or but's -

you are blind. That is a self evident truth.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 03:49 PM

According to you. So I think I will be fine.

SnakeBoy
08-24-2014, 03:59 PM

Yeah the idea of the internet/social media is far better than the reality. Seems like connecting everyone together and giving them a place to share ideas & thoughts would have been a wonderful thing. Only to find out that we are all pretty damn stupid.

johnsmith
08-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah the idea of the internet/social media is far better than the reality. Seems like connecting everyone together and giving them a place to share ideas & thoughts would have been a wonderful thing. Only to find out that we are all pretty damn stupid.

I don't remember where I saw this but it was "what would you tell a time traveler from a 100 years ago" and the answer was something like "in my pocket is a device that connects me to all the information known to mankind...I use it to look at funny pictures of cats".

silverblk mystix
08-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't remember where I saw this but it was "what would you tell a time traveler from a 100 years ago" and the answer was something like "in my pocket is a device that connects me to all the information known to mankind...I use it to look at funny pictures of cats".

"unlike johnsmith - who uses it solely to practice at being an asshole to strangers!"

impressive!

xmas1997
08-24-2014, 04:29 PM

TRUTH BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xmas1997
08-24-2014, 04:31 PM

When you want to, you can share lots of personal insight, but you rarely want to, and thus the shit replaces insight.

baseline bum
08-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Aren't rubber bullets just for crowd control? I remember when UCLA beat USC and knocked them out of the BCS national championship people started rioting in Westwood, setting couches and a car on fire in the street. LAPD came in and sprayed these huge crowds with rubber bullets and everyone ran home. Shit was hilarious. But I'd prefer using the real thing if someone is trying to kill me.

xmas1997
08-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Aren't rubber bullets just for crowd control? I remember when UCLA beat USC and knocked them out of the BCS national championship people started rioting in Westwood, setting couches and a car on fire in the street. LAPD came in and sprayed these huge crowds with rubber bullets and everyone ran home. Shit was hilarious. But I'd prefer using the real thing if someone is trying to kill me.

I would prefer to use the real thing if people are trying to destroy my property as well.

DMC
08-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Don't cops learn kung fu? Is anyone using that? I never saw a kung fu master have to shoot someone 6 times, especially an unarmed someone, not even the one armed boxer.

DMC
08-24-2014, 05:36 PM
I was watching this video of the 2nd black guy in St Louis who died recently after charging at the cops with a knife. Now I am all for them killing a crazy guy with a knife, but it seems like cops in general are ordered to kill first now a days. You know I'm the last guy to ever stand up for the poor black people and all that stuff, but Im just curious as to why cops are so gun happy now a days? It used to be taser happy just a few years back, now they just kill. I could be wrong though, I am pro law enforcement.

@3:15 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgAdKw43TaI

What's odd about that video is the guy was just giving the hand signal and saying "it's me it's me" and they thought he was saying "kiss me kiss me" so they shot him.

TILDEN
08-24-2014, 05:39 PM
i agree with u

Oh, Gee!!
08-24-2014, 06:55 PM
I think tasers were killing too many people tbh.

DMC
08-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Taser Torture in Wichita, Kansas
Dion Lefler over at the Wichita Eagle is reporting on how Black people are five to six times as likely as white people to have Tasers used on them by Wichita police, according to city statistics released Monday.
Dion reports:
More black people than white people were stunned with Tasers in the first seven months of 2010, the most recent statistics immediately available.
Police Chief Norman Williams said he thinks the numbers don't necessarily show that officers are more likely to use a Taser on black suspects than white suspects.
"It doesn't matter what race or gender you are, if you comply with the officer, you're not going to get tased," he said.
According to the U.S. Census, black people make up 11.5 percent of the city population.
Over the past five years, since Tasers were introduced into the police arsenal, 42.2 percent of people they've been used on are black, city records show.
Non-Hispanic white people make up 64.5 percent of the city population and 46 percent of the people who were stunned with Tasers, the records show.
The race statistics were part of a larger report presented Monday to the City Manager's Review Board, a panel appointed to try to build trust between police and residents.
In addition to the report, the board received information on the medical effects of Tasers and a demonstration of the usually nonlethal weapon, which fires darts attached by wires to a high-voltage electrical source. A person hit with Taser darts generally loses the ability to resist officers until the current is cut.
The report showed that in 2007, the city's record year for Taser usage, the weapon was used on 556 white people and 475 black people. That gap has been narrowing ever since.
In 2008, Tasers were used on 431 white people and 386 black people.
In 2009, they were used on 119 white people and 113 black people.

And for the period in 2010 from Jan. 1 until July 22, where the city records stopped, Tasers had been used on 54 black people, compared with 52 white people.
Sgt. Robert Bolin, who briefed the Review Board, said after the meeting that nearly all cases of Taser usage are in response to calls of a crime in progress and that police have no control over the racial breakdown of the people involved, be they suspects, victims or witnesses.
"We have no control over who decides to resist and who doesn't," he said.
The records also show that Taser use has declined dramatically since peaking in 2007, a year after the weapons were introduced in Wichita.
AAP says: With the local NAACP chapter is on the ground and very active in Wichita, hopefully the new Vice Mayor of Wichita, Lavonta Williams can address this taser torture issue. The national office of the NAACP should be taking a look at this taser torture issue as well. The taser torture of black fiolks is nothing more than 21st century lynching.

Have it your way.

Franklin
08-24-2014, 09:49 PM
rubber bullets work against unarmed criminals, but not those who're armed with rifles and even sub-machines imho.

The Reckoning
08-25-2014, 07:20 AM
iirc cops have always (atleast since the 90s) had the rule of using the next level of force to counter a threat. ex: nightstick/taser for unarmed suspects, gun for knife, etc.

Venti Quattro
08-25-2014, 08:29 AM
:lol because the thugs don't use them.

It's pretty pointless to have them use tasers or rubber bullets when the criminal forces are armed with guns and automatic rifles

Blake
08-25-2014, 09:21 AM

so you're saying you can "see."

Lol no. You're way too much of a miserable fuck. :lol

Chomag
08-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Don't cops learn kung fu? Is anyone using that? I never saw a kung fu master have to shoot someone 6 times, especially an unarmed someone, not even the one armed boxer.

Would work great but this isn't the movies, and your not guaranteed victory going toe to toe with an armed suspect where in losing could possibly end your life.

As for what happened here im on the fence a bit, I do think it was justified but then again maybe he could have been talked down. Thats the whole point here though isn't it? Law enforcement has to deal with maybe this , or maybe that scenarios that are happening in split seconds. It comes down to having to make a on the fly judgment call most times. It's might be easy now to look at what happened here more subjectively now that we have time to see and reflect on a event such as what we see here. All I'm saying is second guessing in this kind of work can get you killed.

Based off his erratic behavior, this guy was for whatever reason pretty crazy in the head, and crazy is usually very unpredictable... just saying it's not as easy as we think it is.

DMC
08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Would work great but this isn't the movies, and your not guaranteed victory going toe to toe with an armed suspect where in losing could possibly end your life.

As for what happened here im on the fence a bit, I do think it was justified but then again maybe he could have been talked down. Thats the whole point here though isn't it? Law enforcement has to deal with maybe this , or maybe that scenarios that are happening in split seconds. It comes down to having to make a on the fly judgment call most times. It's might be easy now to look at what happened here more subjectively now that we have time to see and reflect on a event such as what we see here. All I'm saying is second guessing in this kind of work can get you killed.

Based off his erratic behavior, this guy was for whatever reason pretty crazy in the head, and crazy is usually very unpredictable... just saying it's not as easy as we think it is.

The master of the flying guillotine didn't have to use a gun.

IceColdBrewski
08-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Anyone remember a few years ago when all the libtards were having shitfits because cops started relying on tasers more often instead of firearms or brute force?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.