PDA

View Full Version : Setup for FTP site

SequSpur
08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I need to set up a site to exchange some data files between offices to eliminate fucking gas.

What's the best way to go about this.

MannyIsGod
08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Firewire cable
You're fucking stupid.

Sequ, just get some cheap webspace on a server. How big are the files and how often will they be accessed? With that information you can figure out how much space you need and how much bandwidth you need.

Once you have your space, you can just point to it with any webbrowers and you'll be able to download the files you upload.

E20
08-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Umm, if it's data files your looking to transfer then I might suggest you copy them on a CD-R or a DVD-R if you can.

SequSpur
08-22-2005, 11:35 PM
we do copy them and deliver them on CD, however, I need to upload this shit so I don't have to do this.

It has to be user id'd and password protected to meet HIPAA guidelines.

It's healthcare related.

E20
08-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Sequ, you can make them into a RAR file. Once you do this you can setup your security controls to your liking. Then you can burn them onto a CD as .RAR files. Then whoever is accessing them will need a executable program like WinRAR to acess them, aswell as the password. But, then again there are programs which can crack the passwords for .RAR files.........

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Have the host site set up a VPN connection on their server for you (they can set access for a user name/password).

Then VPN in, get what you need (or vice versa), call it a day.

E20
08-22-2005, 11:47 PM
Maybe if you ask Kori or LJ they can put it on there server for you. They are trustworthy and probably wouldn't mind doing it.

ChumpDumper
08-23-2005, 01:26 AM
There are all manner of companies that can co-locate your data and do it for or even specialize in medical records.

MannyIsGod
08-23-2005, 11:01 AM
All you need is server space. Then just have the directory it is located in password protected. It is child space. You can then view it with any web browers, but you'll need the password and login to do so.

08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
I believe (and I'm by far no expert) that our company uses their own server and utilizes something called "Citrix" for us out here in the hinterland to post time and billings through.

MannyIsGod
08-23-2005, 11:32 AM
I use Citrix to access the Principal and Assurant servers. Pretty nifty stuff.

Slomo
08-23-2005, 12:54 PM
Sequ,

If you just want to upload the files on a machine and make them available to certain authorized people I would suggest a secure ftp serve or sftp. It uses the same secure ssh encryption as the best vpns. Vpn is something that allows you to do much more than what you described so it might be overkill (and vpn is also a little slower because of the overhead data).

server abd client software are available really cheap if you setup your server under UNIX (something I recomend) but as with any sensitive info, if you have little or no experience - hire a pro.

If you need more help PM or e-mail me (Kori has my address)