PDA

View Full Version : Which rules of your own religion do you not follow?

elege
08-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Be honest.

xmas1997
08-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Wow, when it comes to the Catholic Christian Faith, there are quite a few, that is why I call myself a "cafeteria" Catholic.

But when you say "rules", are you referring to "doctrine", "dogma", or worldview? There are major differences, you know.

(I had to educate chump on this very point when he made his Christian dogma blunder, faux pas, error, mistake, or whatever you want to call it.
He was so humiliated he has resorted to lying, distorting the truth, and making shit up and attributing it to me ever since.
His melt down has been of epic proportions, ask anyone. :lol)

Anyway for me to get more specific, I'll have to think about it a bit.

elege
08-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Wow, when it comes to the Catholic Christian Faith, there are quite a few, that is why I call myself a "cafeteria" Catholic.

But when you say "rules", are you referring to "doctrine", "dogma", or worldview? There are major differences, you know.

(I had to educate chump on this very point when he made his Christian dogma blunder, faux pas, error, mistake, or whatever you want to call it.
He was so humiliated he has resorted to lying, distorting the truth, and making shit up and attributing it to me ever since.
His melt down has been of epic proportions, ask anyone. :lol)

Anyway for me to get more specific, I'll have to think about it a bit.

Educate me on the bolded part. Answer whatever your comfortable with. You'll eventually have to deal with the uncomfortable part on your own (We all do).

xmas1997
08-25-2014, 12:21 PM
Educate me on the bolded part. Answer whatever your comfortable with. You'll eventually have to deal with the uncomfortable part on your own (We all do).

This is true about the uncomfortable part, but actually I already do have to deal with it, and I am content with it.
But even "change" is uncomfortable most times, so one gets used to it, or one ends up having issues they cannot resolve using normal methods.
It could probably get me excommunicated from my Faith though if the church wanted to make an issue of it.

"In a nutshell, all dogma is clearly and infallibly defined doctrine. Nothing new can be added, only clarified and developed. For example let's look at moral doctrine. There is not one case that I am aware of where moral doctrine has been defined as dogma. Thus there is only social doctrine, but no social dogma. The circumstances may change but the principles don't. But none of the specifics of morality are dogma."

DOCTRINE: "a set of ideas or beliefs that are taught or believed to be true"

DOGMA: "a belief or set of beliefs that is accepted by the members of a group without being questioned or doubted"

WORLDVIEW: "concepts that include each particular denominations philosophical concept, to a synonym for doctrine"

If you need more "cites" I have them, but that is basically the short, broad, and general explanation of the differences.

What you are probably asking for is the "generally" accepted "rules" which would most likely be the "Worldview" of whatever religious denomination someone belongs to.

http://southernorderspage.blogspot.com/2011/02/difference-between-doctrine-and-dogma.html

elege
08-25-2014, 12:42 PM
xmas1997 I guess anywhere you feel like you are not living up to what your religion explicitly states as a truth or thing that should be. (Hopefully, that's more clear)

lefty
08-25-2014, 12:56 PM
All of them

Brazil
08-25-2014, 01:12 PM
All of them

:lol

xmas1997
08-25-2014, 05:28 PM
xmas1997 I guess anywhere you feel like you are not living up to what your religion explicitly states as a truth or thing that should be. (Hopefully, that's more clear)

What is your religion?

Jeff Leppard
08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
I am God's glory.

elege
08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
I dont really follow any organized religion. However, I do know that I dont always necessarily follow my ideal of what should be. And sometimes my ideals do conflict. I was mostly just wondering about how people justify those inconsistencies and why they dont have the same compassion for others. Not directed at anybody in particular. Sometimes it just gets old reading obnoxious bs on this site. It's why ive started a few silly threads recently. Maybe, its a bit egomaniacal, but I hope I posed some interesting questions for people to think about.

xmas1997
08-25-2014, 06:05 PM
I dont really follow any organized religion. However, I do know that I dont always necessarily follow my ideal of what should be. And sometimes my ideals do conflict. I was mostly just wondering about how people justify those inconsistencies and why they dont have the same compassion for others. Not directed at anybody in particular. Sometimes it just gets old reading obnoxious bs on this site. It's why ive started a few silly threads recently. Maybe, its a bit egomaniacal, but I hope I posed some interesting questions for people to think about.

It's all interesting.

The only ones I get obnoxious with anymore are the ones who get that way with me first.
If they are being an asshole in this forum then they get it back, they get back what they put out.

spurraider21
08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
N/A

elege
08-25-2014, 06:19 PM
I mean, I don't follow any specific drama or fights on this forum. It just seems like it more often than not gets in the way of a good thread. It's a little bit heartbreaking, too, because there seems to be some good writers on this forum, but so much of it is wasted on insults in petty bickering.

elege
08-25-2014, 06:21 PM
N/A

Does that mean you don't have a religion? You probably at least have some ideals on how you behave, don't you?

spurraider21
08-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Does that mean you don't have a religion?
although i was baptized in my youth, i do not consider myself to be part of a religion

You probably at least have some ideals on how you behave, don't you?
of course i do. they just aren't rules based on ancient texts. while i dont believe in moral absolutes, i typically adhere to societal morals. i don't consider myself a bad person. i dont harm others or intentionally bring harm, etc.

i like to believe i can be a good person, even without faith

elege
08-25-2014, 06:28 PM
although i was baptized in my youth, i do not consider myself to be part of a religion

of course i do. they just aren't rules based on ancient texts. while i dont believe in moral absolutes, i typically adhere to societal morals. i don't consider myself a bad person. i dont harm others or intentionally bring harm, etc.

i like to believe i can be a good person, even without faith

Please bear with me, but would it be fair to say that because of that you believe there are no moral absolutes?

If that's the case, can you think of any behaviors where you practice or rely on a moral absolute?

Edit: I was the victim of a baptism as well.

spurraider21
08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Please bear with me, but would it be fair to say that because of that you believe there are no moral absolutes?

If that's the case, can you think of any behaviors where you practice or rely on a moral absolute?

Edit: I was the victim of a baptism as well.
well... saying i dont believe something doesn't necessarily equate to claiming the negative. i'm going with the null. saying i dont believe in x does NOT mean i am claiming that x does not exist. those are very different statements

i have my own set of morals, which for the most part go hand it hand with societal norms. i dont like hurting others, stealing, etc. i try to not to lie or be dishonest. i do follow moral guidelines, but not because i believe they are invisibly written out in the skies and are a constant (ie, moral absolutes)

elege
08-25-2014, 06:53 PM
well... saying i dont believe something doesn't necessarily equate to claiming the negative. i'm going with the null. saying i dont believe in x does NOT mean i am claiming that x does not exist. those are very different statements

i have my own set of morals, which for the most part go hand it hand with societal norms. i dont like hurting others, stealing, etc. i try to not to lie or be dishonest. i do follow moral guidelines, but not because i believe they are invisibly written out in the skies and are a constant (ie, moral absolutes)

I don't have anything in particular in mind, but how do you reconcile falling short of those morals (besides the fact that you don't believe in absolute morals, as you put it). You don't have to give specific details, but can you think of a specific example of that type of reconciliation? How did you do it (Again you don't have to be specific, if you don't want to)?

spurraider21
08-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't have anything in particular in mind, but how do you reconcile falling short of those morals (besides the fact that there are no moral absolutes, as you put it). You don't have to give specific details, but can you think of a specific example of that type of reconciliation? How did you do it (Again you don't have to be specific, if you don't want to)?
i usually feel shitty... i have hurt people in the past (not necessarily physically) and i feel shitty afterwards, so much so that i make a conscious effort to avoid that sort of action in the future. i have my own moral compass which lets me know if i have done something right or wrong. if you want to assign a fancy word like "sin" to those wrongdoings, go for it. i don't, but its just syntax so i don't care.

how do i reconcile? nothing fancy. i make the best effort to let said person know that i resent my actions, and that i'm upset at myself for allowing something like that to happen. beyond that its just reflection, which isn't always fun. but i dont believe in some ritual like a candle or a chant, or bringing physical harm to myself or w/e to make up for it.

elege
08-25-2014, 07:08 PM
What about times where you intentionally did something for a desired result, and you got that desired result? But in that same example there is the collateral damage of someone getting hurt?

Blizzardwizard
08-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Anglican protestant,

All of them.

elege
08-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Anglican protestant,

All of them.

Does that mean you were raised that and don't particularly believe that anymore, or do you still believe in it but have a hard time following those rules?

Blizzardwizard
08-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Does that mean you were raised that and don't particularly believe that anymore, or do you still believe in it but have a hard time following those rules?

I was raised that and I'd like to say that I believe in it to some extent, but I don't make a conscious effort to follow the rules.

spurraider21
08-25-2014, 08:19 PM
What about times where you intentionally did something for a desired result, and you got that desired result? But in that same example there is the collateral damage of someone getting hurt?
no different than above. if i do something that i think is wrong, it usually won't sit well with me. if i think somebody is a complete ass and i have to step on his toes to get a desired result, i wont feel as shitty about it than i would otherwise

Franklin
08-25-2014, 09:44 PM
Celibacy is my religion but I'm afraid I'd have to disobey one of my religion rules or two if LG and I come together someday, tbh.

Huey Freeman
08-26-2014, 01:41 AM
I don't murder, and I don't steal.

Everything else is game

spurraider21
08-26-2014, 01:46 AM
I don't murder, and I don't steal.

Everything else is game
ur good with rape, pedophilia, etc?

Huey Freeman
08-26-2014, 01:53 AM
ur good with rape, pedophilia, etc?

I was going to add those, but are those two things in the Bible tbh?

spurraider21
08-26-2014, 01:53 AM
I was going to add thise, but are those two things in the Bible tbh?
i would hope so :lol

Huey Freeman
08-26-2014, 01:56 AM

Then add to my lists of "don't" then :lol

Huey Freeman
08-26-2014, 02:01 AM

Found it, Bible doesn't mention rape or pediphilia.

http://www.gotquestions.org/pedophilia.html

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-rape.html

spurraider21
08-26-2014, 02:03 AM

http://replygif.net/i/203.gif

Huey Freeman
08-26-2014, 02:09 AM
http://replygif.net/i/203.gif

My feeling when I found it tbh.:lol

Brazil
08-26-2014, 12:01 PM

:hat

xmas1997
08-26-2014, 04:11 PM
:hat

Sodom and Gomorrah weren't good enough for you.

Brazil
08-26-2014, 04:17 PM
:lol sorry xmas

This message is hidden because xmas1997 is on your ignore list (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist).