PDA

View Full Version : Nets close to adding Traylor (Linton Johnson III update)

ducks
08-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Nets close to adding Traylor
Tuesday, August 23, 2005

By AL IANNAZZONE
STAFF WRITER

The Nets are close to adding more size, weight and depth to their roster, as burly power forward Robert "Tractor" Traylor has agreed to terms on a one-year deal.

If the 6-foot-8 Traylor passes a midweek physical, he will sign an incentive-laden contract with a $1.6 million base salary.

Traylor, who has played at 300 pounds during his seven-year career, averaged 5.5 points and 4.5 rebounds for Cleveland last season. A No. 6 pick of the Dallas Mavericks in 1998, Traylor has career averages of 4.8 points and 3.7 rebounds.

He will join an improved Nets bench that includes Traylor's ex-Cavalier teammate, Jeff McInnis; Marc Jackson, who was acquired for the trade exception when the Shareef Abdur-Rahim deal blew up; Clifford Robinson; Jacque Vaughn; Zoran Planinic; and rookie Antoine Wright.

The Nets will use the rest of their midlevel exception on Traylor - the other $3.4 million went to McInnis - leaving them with only minimum contracts to fill out their roster. They are hoping to shore up their bench by getting at least another backup small forward and a swingman.

Aaron McKie was high on the Nets' wish list, but they lost out on the veteran guard when he agreed to a two-year, $5 million deal with the Lakers on Sunday. The Nets were offering the $1.1 million veterans minimum for one year.

Linton Johnson III, a 6-8 small forward who missed most of last season with a left-ankle injury, could join the Nets later this week. Johnson, who was scoreless in two games with San Antonio last season after averaging 4.2 points for the Bulls in 2003-04, is expected to come in for a physical. If he passes it, the Nets could sign him for the minimum ($719,373).
Among the other players the Nets are considering are Wesley Person, DerMarr Johnson, Casey Jacobsen, Richie Frahm and Jason Kapono. But Kapono is a restricted free agent, so the Bobcats can match any offers.

E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.bergen.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjgmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY3NTMzNDEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

Big Pimp_21
08-23-2005, 10:05 AM
I thought we had an option on LJ3. I guess we didn't pick it up. Wasn't he supposed to be the second coming of Bruce Bowen?

ObiwanGinobili
08-23-2005, 10:09 AM
ankle injury?
i thought he had knee surgery. ??? hmmmmmmmm

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Poor Nets. The Plan B for SAR is Tractor? I hope LJIII lands on his feet. He was funny as hell at the Spurs championship celebration. "I'm not Nazr Mohammed!"

ObiwanGinobili
08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
I liked the guy.
even tho he didin't do anything... he just seemed likeable.

1Parker1
08-23-2005, 10:19 AM
^^^Nets are better off trying to aquire T-Mass...

Speaking of which, what's up with him? Has he signed with another team yet?

Summers
08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
I thought he wasn't actually injured at all most of the season... *shrug*

ObiwanGinobili
08-23-2005, 10:32 AM
i was just wondering the same thing (about Massenburg)... any word?

man this off season is taking forever!!!!!
I wish it would all wrap up this weekend.

2centsworth
08-23-2005, 10:43 AM
LJIII for 700k, wow.

Kori Ellis
08-23-2005, 12:26 PM
LJIII for 700k, wow.

That's the minimum for a player who has been in the league for 2 years.

ankle injury?
i thought he had knee surgery. ??? hmmmmmmmm

No, he definitely had ankle surgery.

Trainwreck2100
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Definitely agree that TMass is better than Traylor, the Nets should go after him.

wildbill2u
08-23-2005, 01:42 PM
LJIII for 700k, wow.

My take is the opposite: 700k for LJIII? Wow.

He was worth a look, but produced nothing and that's why the Spurs appear to be letting him go.