PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Reportedly interested in Gustavo Ayon and "Determined" to resign Baynes

cd021
08-29-2014, 05:50 PM

Roster spot clearing move coming?

cd021
08-29-2014, 06:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcgZ2pgK6Nk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5HERHomUk

dabom
08-29-2014, 06:05 PM
najera?

TheGreatYacht
08-29-2014, 06:09 PM
Na I'm good with Baynes. This dude can't stay healthy for 10 games

dabom
08-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Na I'm good with Baynes. This dude can't stay healthy for 10 games

Is baynes good with the spurs though?

xmas1997
08-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Rather have Baynes.

cd021
08-29-2014, 06:19 PM
Is baynes good with the spurs though?

I'm guessing that if Baynes opts to go elsewhere, then the Spurs look to sign Ayon. Or the Spurs could be looking to clear roster spots (Ayers and or Daye) to have room for a guard and another big.

Chinook
08-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Ayon makes no sense. It may just be a ploy to drop Baynes' price.

Spursfanfromafar
08-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Ayon did well in his Hornets (Pelicans) tenure. He was shipped to Orlando, didn't play much, traded to a crowded frontcourt in Milwaukee, was wasted there...and then got injured after promising well with the Hawks last season.

If he isn't injured, he is a decent backup. Better than Ayres certainly at PF.

dabom
08-29-2014, 06:49 PM
Ayon did well in his Hornets (Pelicans) tenure. He was shipped to Orlando, didn't play much, traded to a crowded frontcourt in Milwaukee, was wasted there...and then got injured after promising well with the Hawks last season.

If he isn't injured, he is a decent backup. Better than Ayres certainly at PF.

Anyone is better than errors, but this guy is a decent 15th player.

Dverde
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Baynes would be a big re-sign. He gives us cover for a Duncan/Splitter injury. Without him we are left with Bonner or Ayres.

Mugen
08-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Interesting. At least it'll help capture the chubby be@ner demographic. robdiaz, thoughts?

RD2191
08-29-2014, 07:46 PM
Interesting. At least it'll help capture the chubby be@ner demographic. robdiaz, thoughts?
Solid move. Will add much needed depth to our front court.

SupremeGuy
08-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Just re-sign Baynes ffs

Chinook
08-29-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm starting to think the Spurs are still trying to trade Baynes rather than keep him. I imagine there are teams willing to pay him, like there were with Neal. But they are concerned the team will just match the offer sheet. Eventually, they'll go ahead and either let him go or step up with an offer.

SupremeGuy
08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
I just fucking hope he lets the Spurs match any offer he gets from Europe, tbh.

Chris
08-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Why not take both? Ayon was kind of an offseason wish for me. Would be a great pickup with his hustle and decent passing skills. 6'10 power forward who can rebound and a terrible free throw shooter. Should fit right in imo

MANUNG-Ginobili
08-29-2014, 09:54 PM
why not go for Blatche or Okafor?

FireMicoHalili
08-29-2014, 10:40 PM
hard to base skills on his highlights, but looks to have a semblance of an inside game

playbonner15
08-29-2014, 10:47 PM
LOL Baynes is gone

cd021
08-30-2014, 12:15 AM
why not go for Blatche or Okafor?

Okafors out till midseason. He is taking his rehab slowly but if he's healthy at mid-season he'd be a very good addition. Certainly better than Baynes and Ayers.

mudyez
08-30-2014, 01:06 AM
...and if we re-sign Baynes, we are bringing back the same team (+ our Rookie) for the repeat. I'd love that so much.

(if we can't re-sign Baynes, I'm fine with Ayon though)

hyhy
08-30-2014, 03:54 AM
Looks like ayres

TheCerebral1
08-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Dump Ayers, sign Lorbek and resign Baynes. Wrap up the offseason.

jeebus
08-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Spurs would have so much more flexibility if they didn't pick up loldaye's option and if they just dropped Errors inside an ISIS camp with a bunch of bibles.

Spurs9
08-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Signing a Mexican would do well for ticket sales in SA tbh

Drom John
08-30-2014, 08:21 AM
from the fuller, non-twitter article by Stein:
Sources say San Antonio remains determined to re-sign Australian center Aron Baynes -- who will square off against Ayon on Wednesday when the Aussies meet Mexico in Group D play -- but has identified Ayon as both a potential Baynes replacement or a possible addition to the roster even if a new deal with Baynes is worked out.

Ayres?

shaq_h8ter
08-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Ayon looks like he's doing his bestTim Duncan imitation during that Hornets highlight video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5HERHomUk

ChumpDumper
08-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Spurs would have so much more flexibility if they didn't pick up loldaye's option and if they just dropped Errors inside an ISIS camp with a bunch of bibles.They will have all the flexibility they choose to have.

cd021
08-30-2014, 09:24 AM
from the fuller, non-twitter article by Stein:

Ayres?

Daye, possibly being waived or moving both in a deal, I think. Probably the first one if it came down to it

superbigtime
08-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Give us BAYNES !!

weebo
08-30-2014, 10:53 AM
Quality signing, if they can get him. Ayon is the type of guy that comes in does the dirty work for a few minutes a game, plays with effort, and doesn't complain. He's a viable back up big, who if he can stay healthy be the 2nd big off the bench; therefore, making Ayres/Daye obsolete.

Chinook
08-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Daye, possibly being waived or moving both in a deal, I think. Probably the first one if it came down to it

I couldn't see it. No way the Spurs roll with five centers and two power-forwards.

If the Spurs did a Baynes/Ayres and Daye package for something good (Wilson Chandler, maybe?), then I could see them adding Ayon as a third or fourth center. But it's also possible the Spurs would try to sign him for his marketability in Mexico.

phxspurfan
08-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Looks like a smaller, slower Kyle Anderson (moves without the ball better)

jeebus
08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
I couldn't see it. No way the Spurs roll with five centers and two power-forwards.

Spurms currently have 6 C and PFs: Duncan, Shitter, Diaw...then it falls off a cliff with Boner, Errors, and Daye. Duncan is obviously going to have a lot of games off and you can pretty much count on Shitter being injured at least a bit. Having Diaw or whoever starting with one of the BED combo is going to suck. I'm really surprised the FO has set themselves up for failure with keeping those three.

ChumpDumper
08-30-2014, 11:15 AM
spurfan is deranged

Chinook
08-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Spurms currently have 6 C and PFs: Duncan, Shitter, Diaw...then it falls off a cliff with Boner, Errors, and Daye. Duncan is obviously going to have a lot of games off and you can pretty much count on Shitter being injured at least a bit. Having Diaw or whoever starting with one of the BED combo is going to suck. I'm really surprised the FO has set themselves up for failure with keeping those three.

Haven't come up with a clever nickname for Daye yet, eh?

jeebus
08-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Haven't come up with a clever nickname for Daye yet, eh?

I'm sure one will come up lol. Though I'm hoping he is traded or injured and never gets to see the court, saving everyone the time of having to make a nickname for him.

DrSteffo
08-30-2014, 12:07 PM
BNSF trying to be cool....shitting on Spurs players who just won a title....wankers.

jeebus
08-30-2014, 01:11 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/8/30/6085341/san-antonio-spurs-gustavo-ayon-aron-baynes

Trade two useless turds and sign 2 decent players? Dream scenario tbh.

Chinook
08-30-2014, 01:44 PM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2014/8/30/6085341/san-antonio-spurs-gustavo-ayon-aron-baynes

Trade two useless turds and sign 2 decent players? Dream scenario tbh.

Horrible article for quite a few reasons.

Splits
08-30-2014, 04:01 PM

Splits
08-30-2014, 04:43 PM

SpursFan86
08-30-2014, 04:44 PM

CGD
08-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Would love Ayon. Plays with balls, has a jump shot, and can actually catch a basketball.

Cut Ayers + sign Ayon < 2.5M

look_at_g_shred
08-30-2014, 08:52 PM
Ayon is definitely a viable prospect. No one better than the spurs to take someone to new heights.

spurraider21
08-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Spurs would have so much more flexibility if they didn't pick up loldaye's option and if they just dropped Errors inside an ISIS camp with a bunch of bibles.
i thought letting Daye walk was an easy decision tbh

cd021
08-31-2014, 12:47 AM

If the Spurs did a Baynes/Ayres and Daye package for something good (Wilson Chandler, maybe?), then I could see them adding Ayon as a third or fourth center. But it's also possible the Spurs would try to sign him for his marketability in Mexico.

That would actually give the Spurs 3 PFs (unless you mean players not including Duncan) Duncan-Diaw-Bonner with Kyle Anderson potentially playing some PF off the bench.

The Nuggets don't have much roster space. They already have 13 guaranteed deals with 3 more players (second rounders) trying to make the roster.

Moving all 3 for Chandler would give them 15 players. They would have 5 centers and at least 3 PFs.

If they were to ship Chandler out I would expect them to do it around the trade deadline depending on how far back they are in the standings. With Gallinari working his way back from missing last year with an torn ACL it would be risky with only Miller and Daye being behind him.

That would be a very good get for us though.

An option for clearing a roster spot could be moving Ayers (and or Daye) to Phily who would, in turn, be able to waive him, with his salary still counting towards their cap. Thats a good thing because they are so far below the cap floor (Philly has little more than half of the $56 million needed to reach 90% of the salary cap).

cd021
08-31-2014, 12:51 AM
Ayon probably isn't getting that type of deal. Much closer to the vet min. than that. Ayers is more likely to get traded than be waived. The Spurs would still have his $1.8 million on the books but would clear the roster spot.

Russo21
08-31-2014, 03:42 AM
Seems like a pretty big logjam to fill out the final roster spots. First you have bigs in Baynes and Ayers who are both expendable then 2 stretch 4s in Bonner and Daye who are similar players and expendable also. That's 4 bigs on the roster who either overlap skillsets, suck or are expendable. Then the reported interest in Ayon and Allen, who stays and who goes? Can't have them all. We need to cut some dead weight from the long roster. Glad i'm not in the F/O and have to make these decision.

Chinook
08-31-2014, 03:46 AM
An option for clearing a roster spot could be moving Ayers (and or Daye) to Phily who would, in turn, be able to waive him, with his salary still counting towards their cap. Thats a good thing because they are so far below the cap floor (Philly has little more than half of the $56 million needed to reach 90% of the salary cap).

I don't see dumping contracts on a third team as a possibility. It seems like a small possibility that the Spurs would take on 2015 salary. It seems like a smaller one that they'd trade a pick for the privilege. And it seems like the smallest possibility of all that they give up a pick for 2015 cap while also giving up an asset to a third team to dump salary. I guess Brewer or Martin from Minnesota might be a better option, especially if Minny wants to dump some of their small contracts. The main issue with Denver is that the only players they have whose salaries can combine with Chandler are their recent draft picks. All of their vets have mid-sized deals.

cd021
08-31-2014, 07:19 AM
I don't see dumping contracts on a third team as a possibility. It seems like a small possibility that the Spurs would take on 2015 salary. It seems like a smaller one that they'd trade a pick for the privilege. And it seems like the smallest possibility of all that they give up a pick for 2015 cap while also giving up an asset to a third team to dump salary. I guess Brewer or Martin from Minnesota might be a better option, especially if Minny wants to dump some of their small contracts. The main issue with Denver is that the only players they have whose salaries can combine with Chandler are their recent draft picks. All of their vets have mid-sized deals.

I actually meant A two team deal to clear roster spots with Philly taking on multiple deals ,potentially, and being free to waive them afterwards. They could send back a protected future 2nd rounder or a top 55 protected 2nd rounder for 2015. Essentially they'd give up nothing and move slightly closer to getting to the cap floor.

Chinook
08-31-2014, 11:59 AM
I actually meant A two team deal to clear roster spots with Philly taking on multiple deals ,potentially, and being free to waive them afterwards. They could send back a protected future 2nd rounder or a top 55 protected 2nd rounder for 2015. Essentially they'd give up nothing and move slightly closer to getting to the cap floor.

Philly doesn't give away cap space for free.They have no incentive to reach the floor by taking on that kind of salary. What I was saying was that the Spurs aren't going to pay for both the player they want and they players they have to move.

TD 21
08-31-2014, 05:13 PM
That would actually give the Spurs 3 PFs (unless you mean players not including Duncan) Duncan-Diaw-Bonner with Kyle Anderson potentially playing some PF off the bench.

Save for a few select match-ups, Duncan can't defend PF's anymore, so even though he's technically listed as the starting PF, that's really only true offensively.

As for Ayon, I don't buy that they're interested in him in addition to Baynes. Sure, they could potentially package Ayres with Daye and pay to dump them on the 76ers, but if they were really interested in Ayon, they either wouldn't have qualified Baynes, picked up Daye's option or both, to begin with.

The Spurs' offer is probably of the non-guaranteed variety. If he accepts and looks significantly better than Ayres/Baynes in training camp/preseason, then they'll make room for him.

cd021
09-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Belinelli would ,likely, be move in both trade scenarios involving Minny along with Ayers but for a legit backup 3 or an upgrade at the 2, is worth it.

I could see Minny doing both deals, especially Martins. Shipping Martin out for Ayers and Belinelli would save them $2 million this season and nearly $14.5 million the two following seasons.

I'd like to see the Martin deal happen, especially if Kawhi gets his 5 year max.

If they do the Brewer deal then Ray Allen would make more sense.

cd021
09-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Save for a few select match-ups, Duncan can't defend PF's anymore, so even though he's technically listed as the starting PF, that's really only true offensively.

As for Ayon, I don't buy that they're interested in him in addition to Baynes. Sure, they could potentially package Ayres with Daye and pay to dump them on the 76ers, but if they were really interested in Ayon, they either wouldn't have qualified Baynes, picked up Daye's option or both, to begin with.

The Spurs' offer is probably of the non-guaranteed variety. If he accepts and looks significantly better than Ayres/Baynes in training camp/preseason, then they'll make room for him.

I've considered Duncan a center for sometime now, It just seems odd to call Splitter a PF. I guess both are centers though.

I'm not all that convinced that the Spurs are that "determined" to bring Baynes back. It seems that the situation has dragged out farther than they expected and they know that they are in limbo until October 1st when they can rescind the deal. I think they want him back but for not much, if any, more than the QO. They probably would have offered it by now. I see him playing overseas next season.

Ayon seems to be similar to Baynes, probably a better finisher around the rim and a comparable rebounder. I agree, It doesn't make much sense for the Spurs to have both.

Curious to know what you think about the Spurs interest in Ray Allen.

Cklbmk
09-01-2014, 11:28 AM

They don't have to get to the cap floor for any reason. If they fail to do so they just have to split the amount short with all the players on the roster. So they just basically double everyones salary.+

TD 21
09-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I've considered Duncan a center for sometime now, It just seems odd to call Splitter a PF. I guess both are centers though.

I'm not all that convinced that the Spurs are that "determined" to bring Baynes back. It seems that the situation has dragged out farther than they expected and they know that they are in limbo until October 1st when they can rescind the deal. I think they want him back but for not much, if any, more than the QO. They probably would have offered it by now. I see him playing overseas next season.

Ayon seems to be similar to Baynes, probably a better finisher around the rim and a comparable rebounder. I agree, It doesn't make much sense for the Spurs to have both.

Curious to know what you think about the Spurs interest in Ray Allen.

They're definitely both C's, but in order to function together, Duncan has to play PF offensively and Splitter has to defensively.

Me neither. Clearly, they'd prefer to, probably for the sake of continuity more than anything, but if he signed in Europe, I don't think they'd really care either. Besides, if Ayon could ever stay healthy, he'd probably be an upgrade anyway.

Regarding Allen: Probably just messing around, seeing if by some chance (and considering they can't offer a rotation spot, only a good portion of the MLE would give them even a slim chance) they can keep him from the Cavs or Clippers.

As much as there's nothing separating him from Belinelli overall at this point other than his name, his perpetual motion/utilization of screens still causes problems for defenses.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-01-2014, 07:08 PM
On a tangent, Joe Ingles looks like a perfect Spur to me and would solve our lack of a backup 3. He's not quick, but he is smart, tough, great passer, decent shooter, and has big cahones. Of course, we'd have to dump Daye or Ayers to make it happen. Incidentally, he seems to be off contract...

Ice009
09-01-2014, 09:51 PM
On a tangent, Joe Ingles looks like a perfect Spur to me and would solve our lack of a backup 3. He's not quick, but he is smart, tough, great passer, decent shooter, and has big cahones. Of course, we'd have to dump Daye or Ayers to make it happen. Incidentally, he seems to be off contract...

What's his athleticism like? How is his defense? How would he compare to Belineli on the defensive end of the court? Would he be an upgrade over him on that end of the court, if not, not really interested.

phxspurfan
09-02-2014, 12:10 PM
The guys on ESPN just announced Baynes as "former Spur Aaron Baynes"

ginobilized
09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Interesting.....is it possible that ESPN has no clue as to what they are talking about?

spursparker9
09-02-2014, 12:37 PM
Interesting.....is it possible that ESPN has no clue as to what they are talking about?

isn't that always the case?

Holden_Caulfield
09-02-2014, 01:47 PM
i hope they cut ayres or daye or both

T Park
09-02-2014, 01:59 PM
i hope they cut ayres or daye or both

Sweet, you going to pay the contracts so they can do it?

jeebus
09-03-2014, 07:48 PM
I think we can put the Ayon debate to bed. Baynes skullfucked him.

FireMicoHalili
09-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I think we can put the Ayon debate to bed. Baynes skullfucked him.
so one game determines the better player? Fantastic

jeebus
09-03-2014, 08:14 PM
so one game determines the better player? Fantastic
Well if little Mexico could win more than one game against a team not called Angolola, then maybe they could meet again in the quarterfinals or whatever.

tholdren
09-03-2014, 09:50 PM
lmfao at people still wondering if baynes is worth keeping, but declaring Kyle Anderson a franchise player. WHAT THE FUCK

Ice009
09-03-2014, 10:17 PM
It seems quite a few people around here will say anything to discredit Baynes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-04-2014, 01:54 AM
Baynes has pushed up his price during the Worlds. What will we have to pay him now? 7mil/3yrs, maybe the full 9mil/3yrs we have left?

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-04-2014, 02:12 AM
Baynes has pushed up his price during the Worlds. What will we have to pay him now? 7mil/3yrs, maybe the full 9mil/3yrs we have left?

$1,115,243/ 1yr

smaka
09-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Dump Ayers, sign Lorbek and resign Baynes. Wrap up the offseason.
Can't believe people still want Lorbek. Dude is done. Even Errors might be better at the moment.

benefactor
09-04-2014, 07:15 AM
I think this was Baynes/his agent's plan all along. Spurs would probably match a 2 million per year offer but I don't see them going north of that.

exstatic
09-04-2014, 07:34 AM
$1,115,243/ 1yr

Unless he gets another offer, this.

cd021
09-04-2014, 11:22 PM
It seems quite a few people around here will say anything to discredit Baynes.

I've seen nothing like that. I think peoples opinion of Baynes on ST is ridiculously high. He can become a solid backup center for the Spurs but thats about his ceiling in San Antonio. I've heard some laughable statements about Baynes potential.

If he returns on the cheap, then the Spurs are probably interested. If not then, they aren't going to torn up about losing him.

At this point, I just hope a decision in made sooner rather than later (October 1st) the Spurs are in a bit of a limbo with the 15 roster spot.

cd021
09-04-2014, 11:27 PM

If for 3 years the 3rd would likely need to be a team option. I'm not sure teams are willing to throw guaranteed multi-year deals at a player that has played well at the Worlds where some of the competition is average, at best.

I was thinking 2 yrs, $4-5 million. If the Spurs were interested in offering a multi-year deal.

BillMc
09-05-2014, 04:34 AM
$1,115,243/ 1yr

This!

littlecoyotecoin
09-05-2014, 06:10 AM
Sweet, you going to pay the contracts so they can do it?

And his avatar is an Austin Daye clone.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-05-2014, 07:12 PM
I've seen nothing like that. I think peoples opinion of Baynes on ST is ridiculously high. He can become a solid backup center for the Spurs but thats about his ceiling in San Antonio. I've heard some laughable statements about Baynes potential.

If he returns on the cheap, then the Spurs are probably interested. If not then, they aren't going to torn up about losing him.

At this point, I just hope a decision in made sooner rather than later (October 1st) the Spurs are in a bit of a limbo with the 15 roster spot.

I think the number of people that don't understand the difference between 'better than Ayers' and 'good' and feel the need to chastise the groups opinion of Baynes is ridiculously high.

Baynes plays Turkey first fresh off their tanking. If he plays well against Asik, teams will take notice. He can only play what is put in front of him. There will not be any decision until after he is done in FIBA.

cd021
09-05-2014, 11:48 PM
I think the number of people that don't understand the difference between 'better than Ayers' and 'good' and feel the need to chastise the groups opinion of Baynes is ridiculously high.

Baynes plays Turkey first fresh off their tanking. If he plays well against Asik, teams will take notice. He can only play what is put in front of him. There will not be any decision until after he is done in FIBA.

I'm not really chastising Baynes lovers just pointing out some of the high expectations for him.

My hope for him is to become the backup center. Thats a realistic expectation, not as a someone mentioned as him potentially replacing and making Splitter expendable.

Its smart for him to play FIBA before accepting any offer from the Spurs. He's played well 17 ppg, 7 RPG in 26 mpg.

Nero5
09-06-2014, 05:56 AM
how much does daye and ayres get per year?

littlecoyotecoin
09-06-2014, 08:12 AM
how much does daye and ayres get per year?

1 and 1.8 million, approximately, respectively.

Macca76
09-06-2014, 09:16 AM
1 and 1.8 million, approximately, respectively.

These are, IMO, the worst contracts for the Spurs roster and they're far from being outrageous, especially when you consider the rest of the league.
For the last 3 years, Spurs FO is definitely the best of the league.

Floyd Pacquiao
09-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Ayon just packed rose's shit at the rim

SpursFan86
09-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Ayon looking really nice in this game vs. USA

weebo
09-06-2014, 09:27 AM
This Ayon dude holding his own...looks to have a decent post game also...something I have yet to see from Baynes

dabom
09-06-2014, 09:38 AM
This Ayon dude holding his own...looks to have a decent post game also...something I have yet to see from Baynes

jyra
09-06-2014, 09:38 AM
He does look more fluid on his post moves and in the pick and roll than Baynes who seems a bit stiff.

FireMicoHalili
09-06-2014, 09:39 AM
...which is so far his only advantage over Baynes, and a big one at that. Would be nice to have someone with a potent inside game but he seems brittle.

DrSteffo
09-06-2014, 09:55 AM
My feeling is that Baynes is a decent 2nd C and an excellent 3rd C. I wish we keep him.

ace3g
09-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)
Ayon has been handful for USA bigs even though they're obviously zeroing in on him. Yet I suspect he'll pass on NBA unless offers improve

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)
ESPN sources say Gustavo Ayon certainly prefers to play in NBA next season but at this point his offers from Europe have simply been richer

cd021
09-06-2014, 05:08 PM
"Gustavo Ayon :-" I hope it's true interest in San Antonio " Gustavo Ayon was the leading scorer and rebounder of the United States 86-63 Mexico , showing the eyes of the NBA who is fully recovered from his shoulder injury. At the conclusion of the meeting, attended Ayon Basket4US positively valuing their participation as both of Mexico in the World . Regarding his future, Ayon ensures that the only offer that has firm is China, but hopes that the rumors about a possible interest San Antonio Spurs are true ."

http://www.basket4us.com/blog/2014/09/06/ayon-ojala-sea-cierto-el-interes-de-san-antonio-136493.html

Ayon talking about rumors of him being linked to the Spurs.

Chinook
09-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Depends on how much he'd want. I'd be fine with either him or Baynes getting a two-year deal with a non-guaranteed second year that is also a team option. The actual salary would mean little to me.

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Ayon and Clark have two things in common, they both aren't that great, and they both will not be playing for the Spurs this coming season.

Nero5
09-08-2014, 07:36 AM
last thing you need is a banger who is brittle.

bigfan
09-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I read Nazi Mohammed was still around. I imagine he's shot but haven't kept up with him.

jyra
09-08-2014, 02:28 PM
Ayon signs with Real Madrid:

http://www.solobasket.com/liga-endesa/gustavo-ayon-y-real-madrid-acuerdo-total (http://www.solobasket.com/liga-endesa/gustavo-ayon-y-real-madrid-acuerdo-total)

Can't blame him if he was only offered a minimum deal. He should earn much more over there.

Chinook
09-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Isn't that the same team that has Fernandez? Pretty nice if true. The Spanish league is so far ahead of the other European domestic leagues it's not even funny.

jyra
09-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Isn't that the same team that has Fernandez? Pretty nice if true. The Spanish league is so far ahead of the other European domestic leagues it's not even funny.

Yes, same team. Even though the spending power has declined somewhat in Spain, Barca and Real will never have to worry about their budget.

cd021
09-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Nikos Varlas: "The Spurs are looking into the case of Gustavo Ayon. Nothing serious yet, but it complicates things more on his possible signing with Madrid.

If he pays 290,000 euros to FC Barcelona, Gustavo Ayon will be free to sign with any team and will get a three year contract offer from Real Madrid"

So he has not ,yet, signed with Real Madrid and his buyout with his current team is $375,988 dollars.

Chinook
09-14-2014, 11:28 PM
So the Spurs are entertaining the idea of paying to sign Ayon over Baynes? It just keeps getting weirder.

cd021
09-15-2014, 12:58 AM
15 days remaining till the Spurs can pull their offer to Baynes. I hope there is resolution before then, at this point i really don't care which happens between resigning Baynes and pulling the offer.

mkurts
09-15-2014, 01:10 AM
Baynes needs to stay with Spurs for a while and up his value more before he can expect better offers. His current logic is suspect at best

Ice009
09-15-2014, 01:59 AM
I'm against whatever Baynes is trying to do at this point. If he doesn't have any other offers, what is he waiting for? The Spurs aren't going to let him screw them around by waiting for him much longer.

He can sign another one year contract and try and up his value to get a bigger one next off-season.

exstatic
09-15-2014, 07:00 AM
It was fine that he waited to show his stuff at the WC, but not only is the whole tournament over, AUS went out early. If he didn't get another NBA offer by now, he won't.

Ice009
09-15-2014, 08:59 AM
It was fine that he waited to show his stuff at the WC, but not only is the whole tournament over, AUS went out early. If he didn't get another NBA offer by now, he won't.

I probably should have mentioned what you said first. Australia got knocked out early, so I don't think his stock was raised too much as he didn't really take them anywhere. If he still hasn't gotten any other offers by now, then I have no idea what his strategy is at this point and what he is waiting for.

Spurs will probably move on very soon. I don't think they will screw around with him much longer.

cd021
09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
12 days till training camp starts for the Spurs. If the Spurs were going to make a move i would imagine it would be in that span. Whether that be a trade or signing a replacement for Baynes.

cd021
09-15-2014, 10:45 AM

wildbill2u
09-15-2014, 10:47 AM
We all should realize that the Euro leagues can often pay more for a third tier player plus outside benefits like housing--and give him a shot at more minutes--than any NBA team. If you are a player and love the game, you want to play every game instead of sitting on the bench.

Plus, given the relatively short career of most players, especially end of the bench players, it's very reasonable that he should try to get as much money as possible from whatever source.

Seventyniner
09-15-2014, 10:47 AM
So the Spurs are entertaining the idea of paying to sign Ayon over Baynes? It just keeps getting weirder.

The Spurs just want a guy who has a little Mexican in him.

jyra
09-15-2014, 11:57 AM

Chinook
09-15-2014, 12:20 PM
And it finally comes out. I feel like that's what they've been waiting for this whole time. However, I'm not sure they get any value for him. At best, they may get a rookie-scale player who's disappointed similar to Daye.

exstatic
09-15-2014, 12:43 PM
And it finally comes out. I feel like that's what they've been waiting for this whole time. However, I'm not sure they get any value for him. At best, they may get a rookie-scale player who's disappointed similar to Daye.
I think SA wanted him back up to a point. They're likely as sick of this as some of us are. I think that the DAY that they can retract the QO, they will.

Mel_13
09-15-2014, 12:47 PM

At this point, I think they would be happy with a small TE.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2014, 12:55 PM
I think SA wanted him back up to a point. They're likely as sick of this as some of us are. I think that the DAY that they can retract the QO, they will.What would be the rush?

Unless they sign someone like Ayon or Baynes explicitly asks to go elsewhere, I don't know what the issue would be.

Chinook
09-15-2014, 01:04 PM
What would be the rush?

Unless they sign someone like Ayon or Baynes explicitly asks to go elsewhere, I don't know what the issue would be.

Retracting the QO after the first of next month allows the Spurs to keep Baynes' RFA status without guaranteeing him any salary.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Retracting the QO after the first of next month allows the Spurs to keep Baynes' RFA status without guaranteeing him any salary.But any salary match would require guaranteed money, so I don't know exactly what it changes.

Mel_13
09-15-2014, 01:14 PM
But any salary match would require guaranteed money, so I don't know exactly what it changes.

By allowing the QO to expire, the Spurs regain complete control of that roster spot. As long as the QO is outstanding, Baynes can choose to sign it at any time and claim that roster spot.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2014, 01:17 PM
By allowing the QO to expire, the Spurs regain complete control of that roster spot. As long as the QO is outstanding, Baynes can choose to sign it at any time and claim that roster spot.So it would just mean they don't want him anymore. Which means the RFA status doesn't really mean that much in that case.

Mel_13
09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
So it would just mean they don't want him anymore. Which means the RFA status doesn't really mean that much in that case.

But allowing the QO to expire, and the guarantees associated with it, does mean something.

Chinook
09-15-2014, 01:27 PM
But any salary match would require guaranteed money, so I don't know exactly what it changes.

Nope. Essentially, the Spurs can keep Baynes from signing with other NBA teams while also keeping their right to sign him. Right now, they owe Baynes money and essentially a spot. Come October, they don't owe him either.

Also, if Baynes signs a deal overseas, he'll still be an RFA next year. So it's not like event that would help him.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2014, 01:38 PM
But allowing the QO to expire, and the guarantees associated with it, does mean something.Right, that they don't want him this season.

Nope. Essentially, the Spurs can keep Baynes from signing with other NBA teams while also keeping their right to sign him.So Baynes can't even sign an offer sheet?

OK.

We would probably never see him on the Spurs ever again. So at least it would be over save the requisite teeth gnashing and boxscore posting.

Mel_13
09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Right, that they don't want him this season.

Not necessarily. On October 1st, they'll be able to retain their rights without leaving Baynes in control of a guaranteed roster spot. So they will.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Not necessarily. On October 1st, they'll be able to retain their rights without leaving Baynes in control of a guaranteed roster spot. So they will.He was more in control of getting the money than anything. The QO is as waiveable as everyone claims the other small contracts are.

Mel_13
09-15-2014, 01:57 PM
He was more in control of getting the money than anything. The QO is as waiveable as everyone claims the other small contracts are.

And he won't be after October 1st, which is the answer to the question you posed to ex.

ChumpDumper
09-15-2014, 02:02 PM
And he won't be after October 1st, which is the answer to the question you posed to ex.Yes, I believe I stated my understanding of that.

cd98
09-17-2014, 03:18 PM
So we just made him a formal offer? I guess no Baynes.

Dex
09-17-2014, 03:25 PM

I. Hustle
09-17-2014, 03:26 PM
How many Mexicans can one team have? Don't we already have Ginobili and Ballaneellly or however those Mexicans spell it.

Chinook
09-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Formal offers can mean anything. I can't see them signing Ayon any time soon.

Dex
09-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Formal offers can mean anything. I can't see them signing Ayon any time soon.

Also doesn't mean he won't accept one of the other offers.

cd98
09-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Has Bayne's qualifying offer expired? If not, Baynes could throw a wrench in the offer by accepting the qualifying.

LakerHater
09-17-2014, 04:24 PM

Gustavo Ayon Receives Formal Offer From Spurs (http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234920/Gustavo-Ayon-Receives-Formal-Offer-From-Spurs)

DesignatedT
09-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Prob a training camp invite. If it was anything guaranteed he would have accepted in a heart beat imo.

Texas_Ranger
09-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Prob a training camp invite. If it was anything guaranteed he would have accepted in a heart beat imo.

True. Only an idiot would reject the Spurs guaranteed contract.

SupremeGuy
09-17-2014, 04:46 PM
How many Mexicans can one team have? Don't we already have Ginobili and Ballaneellly or however those Mexicans spell it.lol Italy is on the other side of the fucking World and shit

heyheymymy
09-17-2014, 05:40 PM
baynes saga continues, might hit gasol thread levels at this rate.

So the Ayon offer is contingent on a RM buyout in europe?

cd98
09-17-2014, 06:37 PM
LOL at hysteria over 15th roster spot. But hey, it's the offseason and bringing everyone back has taken some of the excitement out.

exstatic
09-17-2014, 06:38 PM
baynes saga continues, might hit gasol thread levels at this rate.

So the Ayon offer is contingent on a RM buyout in europe?

No, that would be the case for another European team. He's free and clear to sign with an NBA team any time he wants. It's sort of the FIBA version of NBA restricted free agency.

exstatic
09-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Has Bayne's qualifying offer expired? If not, Baynes could throw a wrench in the offer by accepting the qualifying.

If the Spurs have truly moved on, they could flip an undesirable Euro asset and/or some cash to Philly to take his contract if he accepts the QO late in the game.

baseline bum
09-17-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm still holding out hope they can bring Baynes back. He's probably the best deep bench backup big the Spurs have had since Willis. Splitter's not exactly durable, so I think it's a good thing to have another 5 who can eat some regular season minutes to keep from overplaying Duncan.

exstatic
09-17-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm still holding out hope they can bring Baynes back. He's probably the best deep bench backup big the Spurs have had since Willis. Splitter's not exactly durable, so I think it's a good thing to have another 5 who can eat some regular season minutes to keep from overplaying Duncan.

Willis was the 3rd big, and exponentially better than Baynes, who is a barely marginal NBA player.

baseline bum
Plus I'd like to have Baynes for a potential playoff matchup with Houston.

baseline bum
Willis was the 3rd big, and exponentially better than Baynes, who is a barely marginal NBA player.

??? Rose was the third big.

exstatic
09-17-2014, 06:56 PM

They lost their best play maker and second best scorer. I doubt they can space enough for Dwight to be a problem

exstatic
09-17-2014, 06:56 PM
??? Rose was the third big.

Depending on matchups. Other than 99, Rose was a fly for Shaq to swat.

baseline bum
09-17-2014, 07:01 PM
Depending on matchups. Other than 99, Rose was a fly for Shaq to swat.

Rose was the third big in the LA series too. Willis played some garbage minutes in blowouts, but the only close game he played much in was Game 4 when Bennett Salvatore fouled David Robinson out in 14 minutes.

baseline bum
09-17-2014, 07:06 PM
They lost their best play maker and second best scorer. I doubt they can space enough for Dwight to be a problem

Maybe, but I think dumping Lin was a plus and Ariza isn't too big a step down from Parsons. I think Terrence Jones is going to end up a very solid player too.

spurraider21
09-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Maybe, but I think dumping Lin was a plus and Ariza isn't too big a step down from Parsons. I think Terrence Jones is going to end up a very solid player too.
they also lost asik for nothing

Chinook
09-17-2014, 09:53 PM

Jones should be a solid player, but the Rockets are going to need something better in their starting lineup. Harden isn't good enough to be the only bona fide offensive threat. Lin has his problems, but Houston needed to get someone to replace his scoring. The same is true with Parsons, although Ariza should fit in well.

Houston could have easily ended up with an improved roster this off-season even after missing on Bosh. But I don't see them as being a very good team now. They just hemorrhaged talent and added unknowns/scrubs.

cd021
09-17-2014, 10:37 PM

Lin was actually pretty good as a backup. Asik was a very good backup big man for Howard. They lost a lot of depth off a bench that was far below average. They're like Portland but don't have the talent that Portland has in their starting 5.

ceperez
09-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Spurs make formal offer to Gustavo Ayon:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/234920/Gustavo-Ayon-Receives-Formal-Offer-From-Spurs

peacemaker885
09-18-2014, 10:50 AM
I prefer Baynes but either him or his agent is dragging this too long. I think the ship has sailed.

CGD
09-18-2014, 11:54 AM

This is his only competitive advantage, being a body to throw at DHo. Maybe you can argue he has value against Asik, but I'm not that concerned there.

Ayon is a smarter, more nimble, and better skilled player all around. Sign and trade Baynes + Daye for another teams misfit.

Boomersgold
09-18-2014, 12:31 PM
This is his only competitive advantage, being a body to throw at DHo. Maybe you can argue he has value against Asik, but I'm not that concerned there.

Ayon is a smarter, more nimble, and better skilled player all around. Sign and trade Baynes + Daye for another teams misfit.

Completely disagree with your assessment. See Australia vs Mexico in the FIBA World Cup, and it's clearly evident that Baynes is the more talented center.

Steve-O-Matic
09-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Sportando: Gustavo Ayon No Longer Tied to FC Barcelona, Free to Sign with Real Madrid

http://airalamo.com/2014/09/18/gustavo-ayon-longer-tied-fc-barcelona/

mudyez
09-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Was looking for any interesting misfits, but couln't really come up with one (Shabazz Muhammad?). Guess if there is a S&T its for a 2nd rounder anyway.

ceperez
09-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Sportando: Gustavo Ayon No Longer Tied to FC Barcelona, Free to Sign with Real Madrid

http://airalamo.com/2014/09/18/gustavo-ayon-longer-tied-fc-barcelona/

So Ayon can choose either to play close to home (i.e. Spurs) or some across the Atlantic (i.e. Madrid).

jeebus
09-18-2014, 04:31 PM
So Ayon can choose either to play close to home (i.e. Spurs) or some across the Atlantic (i.e. Madrid).
There's more playing time overseas.

Dex
09-18-2014, 05:43 PM
More news leaking out, not confirmed yet:

http://www.solobasket.com/liga-endesa/fc-barcelona-deja-libre-gustavo-ayon-que-firma-por-tres-temporadas-con-el-real-madrid

Looks like a 3 year deal at €1.8M per. Anybody who actually knows Spanish can feel free to correct this gringo if necessary.

Chinook
09-18-2014, 05:51 PM
That's a hell of a payday for him ($7M/3). Same deal that Teodosic got from CSKA Moscow.

Seventyniner
09-19-2014, 09:48 AM
That's a hell of a payday for him ($7M/3). Same deal that Teodosic got from CSKA Moscow.

You're right about 1.8M Euro for each of 3 years being about the same as $7M/3, but the Real Madrid contract is all post-tax money, right? So it's more like getting $11.5M/3 in the NBA.

Andthentherewas21
09-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Mel_13
09-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Chinese season ends in March. Baynes can get minutes and money over there and be back in time for the playoffs. He'll only cost the pro-rated minimum and will advance his NBA tenure by one year. Win all the way around.

exstatic
09-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Chinese season ends in March. Baynes can get minutes and money over there and be back in time for the playoffs. He'll only cost the pro-rated minimum and will advance his NBA tenure by one year. Win all the way around.

If he moves on, Spurs likely will too. Jamaal Franklin would be a nice fit in that 15th spot.

littlecoyotecoin
09-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Interesting proposition Mel. I don't know whether the logistics of that would work out, but if we could sign a stop-gap 1-2 guard to fill in for Patty while he's on rehab, and then waive him and bring back Baynes toward the end of the season for any advantageous playoff matchups, that would be a coup, I would think. Might solve some problems. Also gets Baynes paid a little better, of course.

Mel_13
09-19-2014, 01:26 PM
If he moves on, Spurs likely will too. Jamaal Franklin would be a nice fit in that 15th spot.

While that's the most likely outcome, the Spurs will retain his rights, so he'll be an option if they need to add a big that late in the season.

Mel_13
09-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Interesting proposition Mel. I don't know whether the logistics of that would work out, but if we could sign a stop-gap 1-2 guard to fill in for Patty while he's on rehab, and then waive him and bring back Baynes toward the end of the season for any advantageous playoff matchups, that would be a coup, I would think. Might solve some problems. Also gets Baynes paid a little better, of course.

One other note for this rather unlikely scenario is that Baynes can only sign with the Spurs after March 1st unless they renounce his rights. If you recall, the Spurs needed Portland to renounce Patty's rights before they could sign him in March, 2012.

Shifty
09-19-2014, 04:48 PM
http://www.basket4us.com/blog/2014/09/19/gustavo-ayon-recibe-una-oferta-de-san-antonio-spurs-137986.html

Basically, it says Ayon told RealGM he has a real offer from the Spurs. Any truth to this?

Chinook
09-19-2014, 05:35 PM
http://www.basket4us.com/blog/2014/09/19/gustavo-ayon-recibe-una-oferta-de-san-antonio-spurs-137986.html

Basically, it says Ayon told RealGM he has a real offer from the Spurs. Any truth to this?

Old news. He got a better one from Madrid and is going there.

ElNono
09-19-2014, 05:48 PM
That's a lot of dough for Ayon, but bigs have always been a premium, even more so internationally.

exstatic
09-19-2014, 06:33 PM
One other note for this rather unlikely scenario is that Baynes can only sign with the Spurs after March 1st unless they renounce his rights. If you recall, the Spurs needed Portland to renounce Patty's rights before they could sign him in March, 2012.
Portland had 15 players under contract already, or they NEVER would have done anything to benefit our roster. Baynes could force the issue by signing with another NBA team after China the same way Patty did with Portland if we sign a 15th, which I consider likely. We would have to cut someone to match an offer, and that's not happening.

Chinook
09-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Portland had 15 players under contract already, or they NEVER would have done anything to benefit our roster. Baynes could force the issue by signing with another NBA team after China the same way Patty did with Portland if we sign a 15th, which I consider likely. We would have to cut someone to match an offer, and that's not happening.

No. Baynes would not be able to sign with another team. It has nothing to do with the roster space. Aron would essentially be the NBA equivalent of a ERFA (exclusive rights free agent), except the Spurs would no longer even owe him a tender until the following year. Like it or not, the Blazers really did help the Spurs, but that was probably because they liked Mills enough to do him a solid.

Chinook
09-19-2014, 06:46 PM
From the CBA FAQ:

An offer sheet cannot be signed after March 1. If the player does not sign an offer sheet by that date, his only choice is to re-sign with his previous team (or remain unsigned for the rest of the season). This happened with Wilson Chandler, who signed in China during the 2011 lockout and did not return to the NBA until after March 1, 2012. Chandler ended up re-signing with the Nuggets to a five-year contract shortly after returning to the United States.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

Chinook
09-19-2014, 06:48 PM
Baynes can sign an offer sheet any time he wants, including when we have 15 players in March, and start the clock for the Spurs to match. That is exactly what Patty, a RFA with Portland, did in March of 2012.

Read the above link. The QO expires on March 1 no matter what. At that point, Baynes would not be able to sign an offer sheet. He'd be completely at the Spurs' mercy. Portland did NOT refuse to match the Spurs' deal. They literally gave up Mills' rights for no compensation and without any coercion. SA subsequently signed Mills as a UFA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7702960/portland-trail-blazers-renounce-rights-guard-patty-mills

Seventyniner
09-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Read the above link. The QO expires on March 1 no matter what. At that point, Baynes would not be able to sign an offer sheet. He'd be completely at the Spurs' mercy. Portland did NOT refuse to match the Spurs' deal. They literally gave up Mills' rights for no compensation and without any coercion. SA subsequently signed Mills as a UFA.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7702960/portland-trail-blazers-renounce-rights-guard-patty-mills

Could the Blazers have squeezed the Spurs for something like a 2nd round pick, or is there no mechanism for a deal like that? No salary did or ever would have changed hands.

Chinook
09-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Could the Blazers have squeezed the Spurs for something like a 2nd round pick, or is there no mechanism for a deal like that? No salary did or ever would have changed hands.

Sign-and-trade may have still been on the table had they had a roster spot.

heyheymymy
09-19-2014, 07:50 PM
No, that would be the case for another European team. He's free and clear to sign with an NBA team any time he wants. It's sort of the FIBA version of NBA restricted free agency.

thanks for the info, ex

Mel_13
09-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Sign-and-trade may have still been on the table had they had a roster spot.

True, but that was an anomaly resulting from a strike-shortened season with a March 15th trade deadline. The Spurs won't be able to trade Baynes in a scenario where he returns from China after March 1st. The only options would be to sign him, renounce him, or let him wait until free agency begins again in July.

And thanks for answering ex for me.

Chinook
09-20-2014, 09:55 AM
True, but that was an anomaly resulting from a strike-shortened season with a March 15th trade deadline. The Spurs won't be able to trade Baynes in a scenario where he returns from China after March 1st. The only options would be to sign him, renounce him, or let him wait until free agency begins again in July.

And thanks for answering ex for me.

Indeed. Do you know if that's what will happen on the first if the Spurs let Baynes' QO expire? Or can he still sign offer sheets even without a QO?

And no problem. We have a habit of answering the same questions almost simultaneously anyway. Just happened to work out without the redundancies this time. :lol

Mel_13
09-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Indeed. Do you know if that's what will happen on the first if the Spurs let Baynes' QO expire? Or can he still sign offer sheets even without a QO?

And no problem. We have a habit of answering the same questions almost simultaneously anyway. Just happened to work out without the redundancies this time. :lol

As I understand it, Baynes can continue to sign offer sheets after the QO expires on October 1st all the way up March 1st. He remains restricted unless the Spurs renounce their rights.

jeebus
09-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Ayon thinks he's worth $2.2 million per year.

DPG21920
09-20-2014, 04:42 PM
:lol Blatche signed with a team in China. I can't believe he couldn't secure a deal with anyone in the NBA. Makes no damn sense. Something has to have happened that wasn't reported yet with him.

jeebus
09-20-2014, 04:57 PM
:lol Blatche signed with a team in China. I can't believe he couldn't secure a deal with anyone in the NBA. Makes no damn sense. Something has to have happened that wasn't reported yet with him.
I watched a couple of his games when he played with the Philippines in FIBA. Dude turned into Josh Smith, chucking 3s with no regard for human life.

DesignatedT
09-24-2014, 08:59 PM
Baynes in town for physical. Expected to re-sign. Per Buck Harvey twitter

SupremeGuy
09-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Fuck yes! It's game on now bitches! :ihit

spurraider21
09-24-2014, 09:45 PM
:worthy: