PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Jones "damn mad" about missing Johnny Manziel

spurraider21
09-02-2014, 11:31 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000387284/article/jerry-jones-damn-mad-about-missing-johnny-manziel

During the draft, Jones argued with his son, executive vice president Stephen Jones, that Manziel would have guaranteed the Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL)' relevance for the next decade.
"I'm still so damn mad at Stephen (http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11420510/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-wants-known-football-man)," Jones exclaimed. "... I get madder, every day, about missin' (Manziel)."
When the Cowboys (http://www.nfl.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL) were on the clock, Jones told his war room that drafting any player other than Manziel would have been a "ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons."
Jones was on an island, however. Coach Jason Garrett (http://www.nfl.com/player/jasongarrett/2514652/profile), his staff and the team's scouts all strongly advised against selecting Manziel, pointing to Tony Romo (http://www.nfl.com/player/tonyromo/2505354/profile)'s seven-year, $119.5 million contract with $55 million in guarantees.

"I listened to everybody," Jones said, "... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wp_qz5Pcy8

http://thegrio.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/michael-jordan-laughs.gif?w=320&h=240

djohn2oo8
09-02-2014, 11:37 PM
I love this guy.

Avante
09-02-2014, 11:42 PM
I can't believe a successful businessman like Jerry Jones could be this out of touch with what's really going on. Manziel is unique....obviously....he isn't going to be that guy who hangs around waiting his turn. That is not his DNA, this guy is too cocky. too arrogant, too me me and me to play that. If you have an established QB like Tony Romo you don't bring in a guy like JohnnyFootball. The Browns bring in a guy like JohnnyFootball, the Raiders, the Vikings.

Why people keep ignoring the fact this guy isn't like anyone else when it's real obvious he is? He's never going to be a star in the NFL, he'll never make a zit on Tony Romo, Big Ben, Peyton, Brees, RW, Luck, Rodgers ass, but......maybe he could fit in somewhere around the middle of the pact. Which is great for Cleveland, Oakland...etc...

HI-FI
09-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Jerrah and Manziel do seem like they were meant for each other but I think cooler heads prevailed. no doubt it would've brought even more money and attention for the Cowboys. how has the sandmonkeyballer looked so far? I only caught one preseason game.

djohn2oo8
09-02-2014, 11:45 PM
^He has looked like complete shit.

Chinook
09-02-2014, 11:51 PM
That would have left Baltimore with a dilemma: Supposedly, Mosley was BPA on Ozzie's board once Ebron went off. So Zach Martin wasn't really on the radar. But a lot of folks linked Martin to the Ravens and I think he might have been a damned good fit. Zuttah should be pretty good as well, though, and he only cost a fifth. Plus Mosley is starting this season. So I guess things work out for the best. Still bummed that Evans didn't fall to the Ravens, though.

Oh, and is this source legit? Seems really, really dumb for Jones to both have thought it at the time and to admit it now. God, I feel for Cowboys fans. Gotta get the Raiders down in Cen-Tex already.

spurraider21
09-02-2014, 11:51 PM
but his pro day was in pads

spurraider21
09-02-2014, 11:52 PM
That would have left Baltimore with a dilemma: Supposedly, Mosley was BPA on Ozzie's board once Ebron went off. So Zach Martin wasn't really on the radar. But a lot of folks linked Martin to the Spurs, and I think he might have been a damned good fit. Zuttah should be pretty good as well, though, and he only cost a fifth. Plus Mosley is starting this season. So I guess things work out for the best. Still bummed that Evans didn't fall to the Ravens, though.
i would have like Martin on the Spurs as an enforcer (though I think Baynes could do that well too), but Mosley has actually looked good in the limited time i've seen him this preseason

djohn2oo8
09-02-2014, 11:52 PM

:lol

djohn2oo8
09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
That would have left Baltimore with a dilemma: Supposedly, Mosley was BPA on Ozzie's board once Ebron went off. So Zach Martin wasn't really on the radar. But a lot of folks linked Martin to the Spurs, and I think he might have been a damned good fit. Zuttah should be pretty good as well, though, and he only cost a fifth. Plus Mosley is starting this season. So I guess things work out for the best. Still bummed that Evans didn't fall to the Ravens, though.

Oh, and is this source legit? Seems really, really dumb for Jones to both have thought it at the time and to admit it now. God, I feel for Cowboys fans. Gotta get the Raiders down in Cen-Tex already.

Yes it is, he made the same comments just the other day about Manziel, and also talked about how he still hates Jimmy Johnson.

Chinook
09-02-2014, 11:53 PM
i would have like Martin on the Spurs as an enforcer (though I think Baynes could do that well too), but Mosley has actually looked good in the limited time i've seen him this preseason

You have no idea who many times I make that mistake every day.

Chinook
09-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Yes it is, he made the same comments just the other day about Manziel, and also talked about how he still hates Jimmy Johnson.

Does he not see that Kenny Hill has a chance to be even better (may lead A&M to a conference title some time before he leaves)? Texas schools have no problem churning out QBs with a lot of hype surrounding them. Jerry will be able to pick one up when the time is right.

spurraider21
09-02-2014, 11:56 PM
seriously though Mosley has stepped into the starting unit pretty seamlessly. an inside linebacker is rarely a wow pick, but anytime you have instant contributors, you can't really complain. its a constant, revolving youth movement

HI-FI
09-02-2014, 11:57 PM
figures. not a fan but I will give him some time to see if he shows any moments like he belongs.

djohn2oo8
09-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Does he not see that Kenny Hill has a chance to be even better (may lead A&M to a conference title some time before he leaves)? Texas schools have no problem churning out QBs with a lot of hype surrounding them. Jerry will be able to pick one up when the time is right.

Jerry doesn't care about doing things that might actually make his team win. He is a business man first and drafting Manziel could have boosted his revenue stream and attention so much higher. That's really all he sees.

Chinook
09-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Jerry doesn't care about doing things that might actually make his team win. He is a business man first and drafting Manziel could have boosted his revenue stream and attention so much higher. That's really all he sees.

Bet he can get Manziel for a second-rounder next off-season. He shouldn't be so upset. Martin was a great pick.

Chinook
09-03-2014, 12:03 AM
seriously though Mosley has stepped into the starting unit pretty seamlessly. an inside linebacker is rarely a wow pick, but anytime you have instant contributors, you can't really complain. its a constant, revolving youth movement

He better be a DROY candidate, though. The team is loaded at ILB and certainly didn't need to draft a one-contract player at 17. I really wanted a nickel or pass-catcher with that pick. Dennard better not tear it up in Cinci.

spurraider21
09-03-2014, 12:10 AM
He better be a DROY candidate, though. The team is loaded at ILB and certainly didn't need to draft a one-contract player at 17. I really wanted a nickel or pass-catcher with that pick. Dennard better not tear it up in Cinci.
yeah, in today's league a nickel is pretty much as important as the starting outside guys. I'm assuming Smith and Webb are manning the outside. Has Webb shown ill effects coming off his injury or is he fully recovered?

Chinook
09-03-2014, 12:15 AM
yeah, in today's league a nickel is pretty much as important as the starting outside guys. I'm assuming Smith and Webb are manning the outside. Has Webb shown ill effects coming off his injury or is he fully recovered?

Who knows? He missed the whole preseason. Just came back a couple of days ago. Jamison Hensley at ESPN says he and Smith looked good backpeddling. So there's hope for that.

Dennard made sense both as a nickel this season and a potential replacement for Webb next season. But now that the team has restructured Webb's deal, he's not going anywhere. Corners seem to be so rare nowadays, that it surprises the hell out of me that the Ravens haven't really addressed the position since 2011. Back then, they had pretty good luck finding CBs off the street (Chris Carr, Cary Williams, Corey Graham). Now, not so much.

spurraider21
09-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Who knows? He missed the whole preseason. Just came back a couple of days ago. Jamison Hensley at ESPN says he and Smith looked good backpeddling. So there's hope for that.

Dennard made sense both as a nickel this season and a potential replacement for Webb next season. But now that the team has restructured Webb's deal, he's not going anywhere. Corners seem to be so rare nowadays, that it surprises the hell out of me that the Ravens haven't really addressed the position since 2011. Back then, they had pretty good luck finding CBs off the street (Chris Carr, Cary Williams, Corey Graham). Now, not so much.
Yeah, good corners seem to be really elusive nowadays. It's not that their quality has dropped, its clearly the incessant rule changes. We've had a revolving door of corners in Oakland for the past 3 years, constantly trying to sign veterans to start instead of realizing they were castoffs for a reason... in 2011 we signed and started Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer. In 2012 we signed and started Tracy Porter and Mike Jenkins. Now this year we signed and are starting the Niners starters from a year ago, Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers.

Prior to this year's draft, our only realistic attempt at drafting a corner was DJ Hayden and he's been nothing short of a disaster. The guy literally can't stay on the field, and what's frustrating is that his injuries have had NOTHING to do with his pre-draft condition. It's not like he was a world-beater in his time on the field, but he missed all of camp/preseason both last year and now this year, and he's on the PUP now. Pretty grim.

This year we drafted a couple (4th and 7th round) and our 7th rounder, TJ Carrie actually looks like he's going to be our nickel guy this season and I would bet he will start next season when Brown and Rogers inevitably get discarded. It's telling that the Ravens actually have 2 capable starters in Smith and Webb and you are still concerned about the CB situation... while we still don't have a single capable starter at the moment :depressed

Chinook
09-03-2014, 12:50 AM
It's telling that the Ravens actually have 2 capable starters in Smith and Webb and you are still concerned about the CB situation... while we still don't have a single capable starter at the moment :depressed

Yeah, it's funny. Ravens fans have been complaining about how terrible the CB depth is, but two of the scrubs Baltimore cut are on other teams' 53-man rosters right now. If everyone stays healthy, the team has a pretty strong corp with Smith, Webb, Jackson, Brown and Cox. Most of the safeties are experienced corners as well. But it's going to be nail-biting.

I'd draft a DB in the first four or five rounds every year.

Kyle Orton
09-03-2014, 12:54 AM
Thought This was a Manziel thread. The fuck all this ravens shit doin here

spurraider21
09-03-2014, 12:57 AM
Yeah, it's funny. Ravens fans have been complaining about how terrible the CB depth is, but two of the scrubs Baltimore cut are on other teams' 53-man rosters right now. If everyone stays healthy, the team has a pretty strong corp with Smith, Webb, Jackson, Brown and Cox. Most of the safeties are experienced corners as well. But it's going to be nail-biting.

I'd draft a DB in the first four or five rounds every year.
Yeah I feel like fans nowadays are holding their secondary to the Seahawks pedestal... as if that's a realistic goal. They were so deep last year it was unreal, even after Browner's suspension. If you included him in the count, they had Sherman, Browner, Thurmond, Maxwell, and Lane. Throw in their safety duo...

realistically if you have 3 good corners and linebackers that can move you should still be ok

Chinook
09-03-2014, 01:06 AM
Thought This was a Manziel thread. The fuck all this ravens shit doin here

Do you really want to talk MORE about Manziel? Only so long I can look at a car wreck before I keep driving.

Clipper Nation
09-03-2014, 07:40 AM
It was almost as good as Garrett Gilbert's :cry