PDA

View Full Version : What would you think?

HB22inSA
08-23-2005, 04:22 PM
We all know what has gone on, and is still going on with the steroids issue in Baseball.

But what would you think, seriously, if it was 100% confirmed that Lance Armstrong was doping during his Tour de France races?

batman2883
08-23-2005, 04:22 PM
i'd be like ...HOLY SHIT

timvp
08-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Wouldn't be surprised.

SWC Bonfire
08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't be surprised.

Nor would I. But them bringing up a result from the race in 1999 doesn't lend much credibility to the allegations.

Horry For 3!
08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd be like...cool because you will never know.

bigzak25
08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
But what would you think, seriously, if it was 100% confirmed that Lance Armstrong was doping during his Tour de France races?

a little heartbreak. dissappointment. shame to match the pride i feel that he is a texan.

But I don't think he used anything that was illegal to the Tour.

the man kicked cancer's ass like only John Wayne could do.

He was all heart and the only juice he has imo is Jesus juice and let me tell you, Jesus was pedalling his ass off when Lance needed a break, he broke tradition, and rested after the 7th one this time. :angel

HB22inSA
08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Wouldn't be surprised.
Wow, that's kind of a non-chalant answer to someone who has been worshiped like a God.

It just seems like his margins of victory and how easily he wins is very suspect.

There's a huge gap in between 1st and 2nd every time.

MiNuS
08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
With all the steroid stories going on . Lets legalize them.

but make a separate era for these super athletes. I like the idea of having Barry Bonds back. I know everyone knows he's not coming back this season to avoid the "heat".

Riding a bike is hard shit especially when going against the wind and uphill. Definitely steroids!

Kori Ellis
08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
Wow, that's kind of a non-chalant answer to someone who has been worshiped like a God.

timvp and I aren't fans of Lance Armstrong. :lol

samikeyp
08-23-2005, 05:26 PM
It just seems like his margins of victory and how easily he wins is very suspect.

why is that? why do we always have to bring up the specter of cheating when someone does something extraordinary? This isn't aimed to you Felix but we as a society tend to do that. Is it possible that Lance was on the juice? absolutely and if he was, I would be extremely disappointed but like Zak said...I would still applaud him for surviving cancer...as I do any person who survives that. It is possible he was 'roiding...it is just as possible that he was just that good.

samikeyp
08-23-2005, 05:27 PM
but make a separate era for these super athletes. I like the idea of having Barry Bonds back. I know everyone knows he's not coming back this season to avoid the "heat".

or a seperate league. Give them aluminium bats and a pitching machine and let them tee off! :lol

E20
08-23-2005, 05:29 PM
I'd be like is it really neccassary to use steriods FOR cycling?

Mixability
08-23-2005, 05:31 PM
I'd be like is it really neccassary to use steriods FOR cycling?

since you use the muscles in your legs extensively..........uh yeah

E20
08-23-2005, 05:32 PM
since you use the muscles in your legs extensively..........uh yeah
:lmao

samikeyp
08-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Definetly...if he was found to be a cheat...I would say take his titles away.

bigzak25
08-23-2005, 05:43 PM

haters are always suspect of playas. enjoy what he IS. not what he COULD have done wrong. Obviously, there are always negative possibilities. none of us are perfect and we all fuck up. Granted, if something like this was ever proven to have any semblance of truth, it would be a fuck up of a collossall sporting scale, but even still, until then, you should appreciate his HEROISM.

i'd be honored to meet the man one day. :tu

timvp
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM

Lance Armstrong is the most overrated, overhyped athlete of our generation.

Do I think he was juiced? Possibly early on in his Tour de France run, but I think he's been clean the last couple. But he even admits that his team has a distinct technological advantage over the rest of the competition, which is pretty lame in itself.

N.Y. Johnny
08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
I'd think its a sad thing if he was found to be using the juice and to win. It would put a black mark and question everything else he's done.
till its proven that he was on juice i would be shocked. it wouldn't be like if Barry Bonds were discovered, that'd be just like a bunch of "I told you so" and tell us something we don't know.
the difference here is that Armstrong has been tested regularly and alot
where as Bonds hides behind the joke of the MLB Policy that is failing and is a failure.

samikeyp
08-23-2005, 05:48 PM

even more than Barry Bonds?

samikeyp
08-23-2005, 05:51 PM
But he even admits that his team has a distinct technological advantage over the rest of the competition, which is pretty lame in itself.

if the other teams had the same advantage they would use it. you can't blame someone for using the resources they have access to...provided that they are legal.

HB22inSA
08-23-2005, 05:52 PM
why is that? why do we always have to bring up the specter of cheating when someone does something extraordinary? This isn't aimed to you Felix but we as a society tend to do that.
I completely agree. It's just that when someone is that good, it brings up questions.

Personally, I like the guy, and for those of you who don't ride bikes (like me), it's hard. I thought a 50-mile ride was going to be fun and easy. I didn't make it 20 miles before I had to quit, and I'm in great physical shape.

Spurminator
08-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Barry isn't that overrated...

I lean towards Shaq.

samikeyp
08-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I completely agree. It's just that when someone is that good, it brings up questions.

Very true...and if you are clean, the questions shouldn't matter to you. If you are clean, you take the tests and pass them.

bigzak25
08-23-2005, 05:56 PM

Do I think he was juiced? Possibly early on in his Tour de France run, but I think he's been clean the last couple. But he even admits that his team has a distinct technological advantage over the rest of the competition, which is pretty lame in itself.

so your saying his team raised the bar, and it's lame that other countries haven't caught up? or should one always lower themselves to the level of there comp?

or is it the Tour's responsibilty to make sure it is an even playing field in the first place so it is TOTALLY on the rider. yeah, that sounds right. :tu

N.Y. Johnny
08-23-2005, 06:02 PM
I think Lance is just a freak..i think he's been tested alot and i wouldn't believe he juiced...i guess in a nutshell i'd be as pissed with him like i was with Raffy Palmeiro
telling us one thing and playin us for Saps and then lying all along.

HB22inSA
08-23-2005, 07:28 PM
Ouch!!
And the whole Bonds issue, the guy is the best "hitter" out there, and I'm not just talking about Home Runs.

Horry For 3!
08-23-2005, 07:42 PM
timvp and I aren't fans of Lance Armstrong. :lol
Thats a pity!

timvp
08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Tour organizer says French report 'appears credible'
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2140893

L'Equipe devoted four pages to its allegations, with a Tuesday front-page headline "The Armstrong Lie." The paper said that signs of EPO use showed up in Armstrong's urine six times during the '99 race.

"Unfortunately, the witch hunt continues and tomorrow's article is nothing short of tabloid journalism," Armstrong wrote on his Web site. "I will simply restate what I have said many times: I have never taken performance-enhancing drugs."

However, the Tour de France's director said Tuesday that L'Equipe's report seemed "very complete, very professional, very meticulous" and that it "appears credible."

"We are very shocked, very troubled by the revelations we read this morning," Jean-Marie Leblanc told RTL radio. However, he cautioned that Armstrong, his doctors and his aides should be heard out before people make any final judgment.

Leblanc also said disciplinary action based on the L'Equipe account was unlikely. The paper's investigation was based solely on B samples -- the second of two samples used in doping tests. The A samples were used up in 1999 for analysis at the time.

The governing body of world cycling did not begin using a urine test for EPO until 2001. For years, it had been impossible to detect the drug, called erythropoietin, which builds endurance by boosting the production of oxygen-rich red blood cells.

EPO tests on the 1999 B urine samples were not carried out until last year, when scientists performed research on them to fine-tune EPO testing methods, the paper said.

The national anti-doping laboratory in Chatenay-Malabry, which developed the EPO test and analyzed the urine samples in question, said it could not confirm that the positive EPO results were Armstrong's.

It noted that the samples were anonymous, bearing only a a six-digit number to identify the rider, and could not be matched with the name of any one cyclist.

However, L'Equipe said it was able to make the match. It printed photos of what it said were official doping documents. On one side of the page, it showed what it said were the results of EPO tests from anonymous riders used for lab research. On the other, it showed Armstrong's medical certificates, signed by doctors and riders after doping tests -- and bearing the same identifying number printed on the results.

The lab statement said it had promised to turn over its results to the World Anti-Doping Agency "on condition that they could not be used in any disciplinary proceeding."

"It will be very interesting to see what UCI does and what the U.S. Cycling Federation does and what Lance Armstrong has to say," WADA chairman Dick Pound said. "If the evidence is seen as credible than yes, he has an obligation to come forward and specifically give his comments, especially after his previous comments that he has never used drugs.

"If anything were found, we couldn't do anything because we didn't even exist in 1999. But it's important that the truth must always be made clear," Pound added.

L'Equipe, whose parent company is closely linked to the Tour, has frequently raised questions about how Armstrong could have made his spectacular comeback from testicular cancer without using performance enhancers. L'Equipe is owned by the Amaury Group whose subsidiary, Amaury Sport Organization, organizes the Tour de France and other sporting events.

A former L'Equipe journalist, Pierre Ballester, was co-author of a book published last year that contained doping allegations against Armstrong. He wrote the book with Sunday Times sportswriter David Walsh.

In the book, "L.A. Confidential, the Secrets of Lance Armstrong," one of the cyclist's former assistants claimed that Armstrong once asked her to dispose of used syringes and give him makeup to conceal needle marks on his arms.

Armstrong has taken libel action against The Sunday Times after the British newspaper reprinted allegations in a review of the book in June 2004. The case will go to trial in London's High Court in November.

Armstrong retired from cycling after his record seventh straight Tour victory last month.

French Sports Minister Jean-Francois Lamour said he was deeply saddened by the allegations, though he noted that they were unconfirmed and never could be because of the lost A samples.

"It's a shock to learn this about a great champion," the former Olympic champion fencer said. "This is certainly an element that could tarnish his image."

Hmmmm

Spurminator
08-23-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm not as into Lance as most people either, but I'll be damned before I'll give much credence to a French study suggesting he might have doped...

timvp
08-23-2005, 09:04 PM
True.

Lance and his wins are safe. For anyone to solve the puzzle, it'd take something such as what this French newspaper tried to do. But then everyone will rule out the French as just being jealous.

Lance's overinflated legacy will live forever.

HB22inSA
08-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Lance's overinflated legacy will live forever.

Hater in the house!!!

usckk
08-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Discuss.