PDA

View Full Version : OT: How good are you in Basketball? Describe your game..

apalisoc_9
09-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Strengths

- Great feel for the game

- Great passer

- Very good PnR game

- Floater is my bread and butter..

- Very good Midrange shooter

- Pesky defender

Weakness

- Not the most physically gifted. 5'8 in height

- Defense can take advantage of my height ( People rarely do this anyway in a street game so it's all good)

- Mediocre Handles for a PG

- Poor outside shoot..Honestly, this weakness makes it really hard for me to drive to the basket

- Stamina/cardio..Currently an Issue since I don't have time nowadys to work on my cardio.

spurraider21
09-07-2014, 11:17 PM
i have the typical unathletic white game. my strength is mid-range jumpers, and weird floaters/bankers off balance. i have awful handles/athleticism :lol. i do hustle quite a bit on defense, and when playing a pickup game that's actually a solid trait since most people half-ass on that end, especially in a full court match

m>s
09-07-2014, 11:24 PM
I used to be like a mike James type..tenacious defender and streaker scorer who can drive or shoot. I've also been told I play like manu with some of the craftiness on offense and sneaky defense. But it's been over 7 years since I've really played, kind of sad now. Once u graduate high school you kind of realize it's time to grow up and do more than just go to the gym every day.

DJR210
09-07-2014, 11:26 PM
i have the typical unathletic white game. my strength is mid-range jumpers, and weird floaters/bankers off balance. i have awful handles/athleticism :lol. i do hustle quite a bit on defense, and when playing a pickup game that's actually a solid trait since most people half-ass on that end, especially in a full court match

You're the guy drawing charges in a pick up game?

spurraider21
09-07-2014, 11:28 PM
nah :lol... i don't think i've ever called for a foul since 10th grade or something like that. even when i get hit on a shot. i just think its overall a bitch move and there should be different standards for a pickup game than an official game. not that i go around slapping people's arms, but if there's some body contact, it should slide

Malik Hairston
09-07-2014, 11:34 PM
In my College basketball/PED days:

Strenghts

- Athleticism(pretty good vertical, but speed was/is my best attribute, I'm usually faster than my opposition)

- Mid-range J

- Passing

- Basketball IQ

- Defense..good 1 on 1 and great at playing the passing lanes

- Posting up opposing PGs

- Conditioning + Build..gym rat + juicing..

Weaknesses

- Just a good ball-handler..you have to be a great ball-handler to make it at a high level at my height(6'1)

- Over-passing..Chris Paul-esque over-passing..

- Bad temper..got into a lot of fights with opposing players and refs, tbh:lol

- Falling asleep on defense when not mentally engaged

Silver&Black
09-07-2014, 11:52 PM
The guys I play with...I'm the tallest at 6'2. So I play under the basket the entire game. If I had to pick a Spur to compare my game to...it would prob be Tiago. Can't shoot 5 feet away from basket but I can make the lay-up (more like a 1 ft jump shot) pretty consistently.

Basically.....I suck at basketball.

benstanfield
09-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Manu or Wade esque slasher without a great jump shot and only 6'3. Good passer and help defender, never a great rebounder or pure scorer.

when I'm in shape, I can basically hold my own at against anyone in the gym that didn't play in college.

RsxPiimp
09-08-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty much a lockdown defender that can seriously bang with the best down low. I'm pretty much useless offensively unless it's putbacks or blowing by my defender and drive to the rim since I have an insanely quick 1st step:lol

I'm honestly one of the best shot blocker even at my height. I'm pretty good chasing people on a fast break and reject that shot from behind. All ball too.

But yeah. I can't dunk and my jumper is suspect. So if you need a glue guy that will do the dirty work then pick me.

m>s
09-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Basketball was so much more fun when you were a kid, me and my friends (one of which has even since passed away) would play all day every day with dreams of playing in college. Back then basketball was life. Simpler times, damn I am getting old.

elmanutres
09-08-2014, 12:14 AM
Strengths

-decent midrange shot

-Great perimeter defense. I love guarding the best player in the opposite team.

-Great at finishing around the rim

-Athletic. I was always told i had hops. I'm 6' 0" and that's like being 6' 10" when going against the mexicans:lol (which is 8/10 times)

Weaknesses

-Bad passer.

-Bad rebounder. I am capable at getting great rebounds, my problem is my timing grabbing rebounds is god awful.

-Mediocre handles (working on it)

-Bad screener.

-Bad outside shooting (i don't bother, i always try to penetrate).

- Posting up

-Stamina

Overall i would say my style of play is ginobili-esque trying to penetrate and iverson like at finishing at the rim

whitemamba
09-08-2014, 12:15 AM
I would shit on everyone in this forum.

RsxPiimp
09-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Basketball was so much more fun when you were a kid, me and my friends (one of which has even since passed away) would play all day every day with dreams of playing in college. Back then basketball was life. Simpler times, damn I am getting old.
Truth

I remember when I can touch the rim with no issues. If I had a bigger hands I could dunk lol. But now I'm pretty lucky if I could elevate 20 inch off the ground :lol

TDMVPDPOY
09-08-2014, 12:18 AM
5'7 can touch the rim

quickstep and vertical

can low posts like duncan or hakeem on offense/defense

have a sweet pullup midrange jumper

dont like shooting 3s or chasing a turd around the court on defense

Malik Hairston
09-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Feel bad for all you niggas that can't shoot 3s, tbh..

I couldn't shoot 3s until late high school, shit makes basketball sooo much more fun:lol..

Only downside is that you'll fall in love with the shot and avoid driving for periods of time, it's inevitable..

spurraider21
09-08-2014, 12:27 AM
I'm 6' 0" and that's like being 6' 10" when going against the mexicans:lol
:lol i know that feel. i'm 5'11 which makes me a small forward when playing with armenians

TE
09-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Can drive with either hand and finish with either in traffic. Use to be light quick but the college pounds have made me add some bulk/gearth. I'm usually a point guard type but I have a postgame that can get me out of bad situations vs taller players. I hate playing in games with players that have that me first mentality.

Streaky shooter with a euro game...

Defensively I can guard anyone (quick feet, long hands, 6"0" with shoes).

spurraider21
09-08-2014, 12:30 AM
offensively i play a lot like rip hamilton. its difficult in a random pickup game when we aren't exactly running offense, but i still use guys as screens even if they aren't intentionally setting them :lol. basically run around like a madman until i get an open midrange look. if i need to i can step out further behind the line, but its definitely not my bread and butter. if i catch and pump i can make little leaners/runners/one handers which tend to annoy people. but i cant initiate anything for offense unless i get a pick and pull up, assuming they go under.

my height is pretty average but i'm lengthy. i have an unusually small torso but long limbs :lol. it helps be defend guys of different sizes/positions

FkLA
09-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Man I've been draining 3s since middle school. My shot, passing and defense are probably my strengths. Seriously I have some Manu-esque passing minus the bounce passes. Handles acceptable but not great, ill handle the ball if I'm playing on a shitty team. hate rebounding and playing down low. Average speed/quickness/vertical. Pretty crafty too.

FkLA
09-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Or I guess that was my game back in the day. I'll be lucky to last a couple mins in a full-court game today. Last thing I really added was a Euro step and stepback jumper which was like 5 years ago tbh.

I'd probably still ball on most niggas here though. I imagine most people here have a game similar to spurraider, at least he's honest though. :lol

hyhy
09-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Waiting for Michael Jordan/Kawhi to describe his game

Thebesteva
09-08-2014, 12:47 AM
spurraider21 wrote like hes applying to the clippers or something

spurraider21
09-08-2014, 12:56 AM
spurraider21 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=31905) wrote like hes applying to the clippers or something
if they are in need of an unathletic 5'11 small forward they're in luck :lol

cd021
09-08-2014, 01:01 AM

That guy:lmao

always trying to draw charges on black top.

DJR210
09-08-2014, 01:03 AM
Raaaaaaaaaaaaain drops

cd021
09-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Strenghts

Center (6'3)

-Post game (unless you have a freak wingspan, like my brother 5'10 with a 6'6 wingspan)
-Jumper (streaky but can hit from 3 and 15-18 feet)
-good passer
-Screen setting
-post defense
-rebounding
-Driving ability

Weakness

-Stamina
-Fouling (not an issue if you stay out of my paint)
-Mediocre athlete
-can't go left or dribble with my left hand (but difficult to stop if i get a head of stream with my right)

6/10

cd021
09-08-2014, 01:16 AM
if they are in need of an unathletic 5'11 small forward they're in luck :lol

As long as you can check KD :lol

FkLA
09-08-2014, 01:17 AM
I actually grew to prefer my left hand. Easier to pull-up or stepback for a shot as a righty when you're driving left.

My favorite guy is the dude that comes decked out in Jordan gear and is trash. So comical. I miss playing ball tbh. :(

Holden_Caulfield
09-08-2014, 01:18 AM
homeless aids stricken rajon rondo :lol

The Reckoning
09-08-2014, 01:46 AM
strength - all i do is dunk

weakness - all i do is dunk

apalisoc_9
09-08-2014, 01:55 AM
How does one improve 3 point shooting anyway? It's extremely hard for a shorter guy to have the touch way far out..For the life of me, everytime I try to shoot the ball the same way I do with my midrang it's almost always short.

Bynumite
09-08-2014, 01:59 AM
Jordanesque

FkLA
09-08-2014, 03:08 AM
How does one improve 3 point shooting anyway? It's extremely hard for a shorter guy to have the touch way far out..For the life of me, everytime I try to shoot the ball the same way I do with my midrang it's almost always short.

Do you jump up to your highest point when you shoot? I can only do that from like <5 feet. Anything farther I don't have enough strength either--I don't get off the ground much when I shoot from further out.

unforeseen
09-08-2014, 03:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/STcRW6c.gif

strength - all i do is dunk

weakness - all i do is dunk

dfens
09-08-2014, 06:50 AM

you train, it's a skill like everything else. Most importantly train correct posture and leg usage. Follow through. 3pt shot is 70% legs imo, the hands just direct the shot, the power and range comes from your feet. any coach could tell you that. Just look at ray allen's calves.
Get a buddy to rebound your shots and then shoot (/w correct form and posture) until you get 50 a day .. you'll get better. Shoot of the bounce (called hop? these days), it creates balance and a good in-game habbit.
When you get better, have a friend put a hand in your face when shooting.
There are literally thousdands of vids online that teach this.

---

Strengths:
- 6'3 in shoes, combo PG, good handles and range that prefers to dish. Extremely composed, I can impose a tempo against pressure. Can also play with another PG. good court awareness.
- Decent High/Low post game, can hook with both hands.
- I love to set and use screens, it leads to cleaner play imo. Screen the screener against amatuers is hilariously efficient.
- Good positional (used to be great) D on any amateur from the 6'6 bigs to the 5'7 asian running freaks. I like to shadow on help D.
- Can also play High-Low, Horns and some other basic sets with other guys that know the basics of organized basketball. With amatuers this leads to crazy beatdowns tho so when playing with other knowledgable players we try to limit it :lol
- Played decent against D2 college players, that was a long time ago when I was young.

Weaknesses:
- stamina .. which leads to fouling alot. Also when I played we had handchecking... old habbits die hard :lol ahletics dudes wear me out fast.
- streaky 3,
- injury prone makes me over aggressive against idiots that go for every over-the-back or that slide under you in flight. These monkeys are all effort zero skill, shoulda picked another sport.
- too passive and friendly, I play mainly for fun.
- bad floater

KL2
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM

I actually learned how to shoot off of a sports science video with Leonard lol, both of our shots were practically the same, fucked up bad. All I did was tuck in my shooting arm's elbow, and it gave me way more power and accuracy, my shot went from garbage to money within the matter of a few days. When your elbow is flared outwards it causes your shot to go all over the place and it gives you very little power. Don't forget to release just using 1 hand, a lot of people shoot using 2.

A good example is that sports science vid, I'm sure you've seen it before.

lefty
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM
I go 0/10, missing very easy shots

Then I score the game winner,from tough angles or with my weak hand; everything goes slow-motion in those moments

Go figure :lol

djohn2oo8
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Strengths

- Good 3pt shooter, streaky like Steph Curry. When I'm hot then im on

- Can drive with my right

- Good passer

- Good rebounder, excel at putbacks

- Good defender, can guard big guys in the post

Too lazy to post weaknesses

bulakenyo
09-08-2014, 08:18 AM
5'9 player, I stared late, at 15 years old. I dont play so much anymore. Just shooting practice.

Strengths:
left handed
good jumpshot form. Quick release, not much hitch on form.
mid range-perimeter top of the key, and some open 3s.

Running 5 foot half floater, half jump hook off the glass.

Box out on rebounds well
Great pump fakes
Great at drawing charges on the wing
Conservative passer
Good screener

Weakness:
Stamina
athleticism
Height
Ball handling
Bad shot blocker

just for an idea of who were the guys I were closely watching back then, to steal a few of their moves and how they play, when I started really getting into basketball, approaching the mid 1990s.

David Robinson
Chris Gatling
Jeff Hornacek
John Stockton
Ed O'Bannon NCAA

Killakobe81
09-08-2014, 08:26 AM
Just under 6 feet ...

Prime Strengths: Defense. Long wing-span quick and active hands in my prime I also had quick feet and great hops Former (6 foot plus high jumper) and timing for shot blocks. Willing passer with good not great vision. Good post moves with a baby hook ... nice mid range bank shot. Fast. Former sprinter. Real aggressive on defense but

Prime Weakness: Range shooting, FT shooting when tired ... finishing inside with my left, small (relative) hands so I cant palm a ball could only dunk off oops and on tip plays ... Passed up open shots I could hit in practice.

Current game: Still a good defender and now even a better passer my range shooting has gotten worse as has my ability to defend quick players off the bounce. I am much stronger so my post defense and and offense is better.

Prime NBA comparison: The Glove or a mini Alonzo

Current: Rick Fox (3 peat Lakers version)

Brazil
09-08-2014, 08:36 AM
I globally suck :lol

just know how to play p&r and go for the lay up, can shoot a jumper once in a while... Forget about the 3s :lol

average on defense

... That's almost Parker esque

Leetonidas
09-08-2014, 09:01 AM
I'm like Danny Green. I can't drive for shit and when I do make contested lay ups they look awkward as fuck but I can shoot like a motherfucker and when I'm on it's automatic. I can make a decent turnaround hook in the post but that's it. I used to be a lot better when I was a teenager. Don't play much anymore. I also have the handles of Rasho

I also have some seriously muscular legs (thank you deadlifts/squats) so it's hard for niggas to back me down on the block. And have decent timing and get a lot of Duncan-esque blocks (meaning not ferocious swats but annoying taps and nonchalant stuffs). But I can't jump particularly high nor am I super fast. I am annoying on defense though, I like to do the Bruce Bowen "stick my hand an inch from your face and block your view" shit when I'm guarding someone and in streetball when no one is really good anyway that shit annoys the hell out of people :lol

Venti Quattro
09-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Strengths:
Outside shooting
Post-up game, mostly mid-range

Weaknesses:
Helter-skelter games. I want organization
Driving to the hole in non-fastbreak situations. I fear for my life

Clipper Nation
09-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm terrible at shooting.... like, Byron Mullens status :lol

I'm a good defender, though....

AlexJones
09-08-2014, 09:45 AM
If you're white and you can't shoot you should just find a different sport.

09-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I'm a poor man's Danny green

ambchang
09-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I am generally horrible at anything in basketball. No athletic ability, can't shoot, no handles, can't rebound, can't run, horrible stamina, can't defend because I'm slow, moves like I am wearing cement shoes. Try to compensate by hustling, which leads to over aggressive play and generally getting hit a lot.

Cant shoot FTs like Shaq though, so at least one of my basketball skill is pro-level.

JoeTait75
09-08-2014, 10:02 AM
I suck. I'm like Eric Snow except without Eric Snow's natural athleticism.

StrengthAndHonor
09-08-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm just not very good at basketball. I can shoot the lights out and I'd like to believe I have a very good court vision, the problem is I'm just not good in dribbling the ball. You can rely on me in making the right passes when a teammate cuts or in transition but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Defensively, I'm really horrible. One story why I don't even try anymore was years back, while playing an organized amateur league, this guy dropped me on a crossed over and embarrassed me so bad. It was one of those Stephon Marbury crossing Yao Ming type of moments...

:lol

Bill_Brasky
09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
im 6'2, decent handles and quick feet, can board, ambidextrous(fall in love with that left hand a little too much sometimes), and have pretty decent post/midrange game. Im not an amazing defender but when i really pay attention to it i can hold my own, and i have good natural instincts on that end. I would always get a lot of flat footed blocks just by having good position.

My 3pt shot is streaky as fuck, i dont have good enough handles to really deal with overly pesky defenders, and my conditioning was never that great either. Pretty much PF type in a PG body. Fucked my ankle up good about a month ago, so i might be done with the sport.

The Gemini Method
09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
My game is like Len Bias' post-od.

100%duncan
09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
Good:

Jumpshot
Handles
Defense

Bad:
Height
Rebounding
Decision making under pressure

The Gemini Method
09-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Ok maybe not like Bias...but I'm not that great. I am 5'11. Product of the recent age where I can hit the 3 and crash the board, but my mid-range game is spotty at best. I'm the guy that'll get the board and kick it out to our PG/Guard. I can get a few blocks coming to help another defender and sometimes generate my own blocks. I enjoy getting in the paint and throwin' bows. I'll drift out and hit the corner 3 or run around screens and tire defenders then crash the board and get a putback. Usually tire who defends me out because I then get easier 2-4 ft shots/layups and what not. If I were to compare my playing style, it would probably be a mix of Unibrow and Jesus Shuttleworth. But nowhere as comparable as those two.

Venti Quattro
09-08-2014, 10:43 AM
My game is like Len Bias' post-od.

Cold-blooded three

Kamnik
09-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Strengths:
-size (for friendly games in my town offcourse) 6 feet 2 inches (188cm) and 91kg (200 pounds or so)
-good back to the basket game with hookshots; I take advantage of weaker opponents everytime I can
-decent 3 point shooter when I play enough games per month (I can space out the floow even if I play center)
-very competitve ; I always play to win
-very good post defender
- I don't turn the ball over too much
- I play very physical and don't mind to bang for position

Weaknesses:
-not a good rebounder for my size
-quite slow
-conditioning is an issue lately as I don't play enough; allthough it was never great
-bad defender on the perimeter against quick guards
-not a great midrange shooter.... I am mostly limited to post game or 3 point shots
-I love to play P&R or static back to the basket game; I can be ineffective if my teammates want to have a constantly moving offence

MI21
09-08-2014, 10:50 AM
I play Basketball almost exactly like Boris Diaw, tbh.

urunobili
09-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Third world Danny Green here....

batman2883
09-08-2014, 11:48 AM
id say im a mixture of steph curry's silky shooting ability paired with the wreckless drive of a younger manu ginobili

Cry Havoc
09-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Alright then...

+ Deadeye shooter. If I'm on, it's going in from 22' or closer.
+ Stamina. I will run all day. If I get a guy that I can tell is out of shape, I will cut back and forth across the court endlessly until he just can't stay with me.
+ Off ball movement. I'm never stationary. Always setting picks or getting open.
+ Reliable moves to get open shots -- step back, floater, baby hook.
+ Good perimeter defender. Regularly get steals and blocked shots even on guys 5"+ taller.
+ Enjoys passing and finding players for wide open looks.
+ Plays hard on both sides of the ball.

- Average handles.
- Usually play the 1 even though I'm a natural 2 since most fools can't dribble.
- Average speed for my size at best.
- First step isn't the quickest, so if shot is off I have trouble getting to the rim.
- Terrible at fighting through picks, especially if they aren't called out.

Blizzardwizard
09-08-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm a good on ball defender, good at getting steals. Adept passer.

Can't shoot 3, dodgy mid-range too.

DAF86
09-08-2014, 06:16 PM
Rich man Allen Iverson, tbh. With a touch of MJ.

cd021
09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Strengths:
Outside shooting
Post-up game, mostly mid-range

Weaknesses:
Helter-skelter games. I want organization
Driving to the hole in non-fastbreak situations. I fear for my life

i'm much less likely to drive playing outdoors (i rolled my ankle on asphalt and cut my arm up pretty bad when i landed). If its on the hardwood then I'm going hard.

Franklin
09-08-2014, 09:07 PM
I have abundant raw talent for sports but it turned into nothing but wasted talent tbh :cry

resistanze
09-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Strenghts

- Athleticism (high vertical, very quick first step)
- Lock-down defender (related to first point, and get a lot of blocks & steals)
- Very good passer
- Posting up

Weaknesses

- Jumpshot is trash
- Handles are below average
- Shit cardio
- relatively short (5'10")

8FOR!3
09-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Not a great player, but I am 6'4 and when I'm in better shape and playing more often that I am right now I usually have an above average elbow jumper.

I have a decent turn around fade in the post, kind of stole it from Tim Duncan. Also decent at dribbling around someone under the basket with my right hand and then flipping it in as a layup. Kind of something I took from watching Boris Diaw play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLJfZC7lgQ

Similar to what Diaw does at 2:40, I just do it in slo-mo like Kyle Anderson LOL

LarryDavid
09-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Poor man's Kelenna Azubuike

spurraider21
09-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Not a great player, but I am 6'4 and when I'm in better shape and playing more often that I am right now I usually have an above average elbow jumper.

I have a decent turn around fade in the post, kind of stole it from Tim Duncan. Also decent at dribbling around someone under the basket with my right hand and then flipping it in as a layup. Kind of something I took from watching Boris Diaw play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QLJfZC7lgQ

Similar to what Diaw does at 2:40, I just do it in slo-mo like Kyle Anderson LOL
people with poor handles (myself included) tend to develop awkward post games. i'm horrible when i play 1 on 1 and i resort to scoop shots quite a bit :lol. or i hope they get lazy enough defensively where i can just pull up

8FOR!3
09-08-2014, 09:54 PM
people with poor handles (myself included) tend to develop awkward post games. i'm horrible when i play 1 on 1 and i resort to scoop shots quite a bit :lol. or i hope they get lazy enough defensively where i can just pull up

Agreed, even my turn around fade in the post is like that. I always dribble a couple of times with my right hand, bump my left shoulder to give me some space, and my turn around shot comes out kind of slow. But usually with my height and the space I create it's not really contested.

cd021
09-08-2014, 10:01 PM
I used to play alot more about once a week but stopped altogether for more than a year I've probably played only 5 or 6 times since 2008.

Game has changed up completely. Was a pretty good shooter when i was younger (despite an awkward release) probably closer to a SF.

Now more of center. Pretty good post moves (up and under, jump hook, etc) can take a my guy off the dribble especially if he closes out out hard.

decent mid range game (if i get some shots up before hand) doesn't matter much because no one ever passed the ball in pick up games.

Decent mobility can guard a wing few a possessions. Very long arms ( like 6'6 or 6'7) pretty good anticipation skills. Foul a bit too much but difficult to post with my size (6'3)

benefactor
09-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Above average shooter, especially from the top of the key moving right all the way to the corner. Automatic from the right elbow and solid out to three on catch and shoots. Pretty good in rhythm shooter overall, as I developed good mechanics from basketball camps when I was young. Good touch around the rim. With a straight line drive I can finish in a few different ways if I get to the cup. Can bully my way to the rim with my size(muscled 6ft, 200lbs). Decent enough passer and will give it up if the shot isn't there. Good cardio.

My advanced handles suck. I can bring the ball up but if someone runs at me I'm giving it up. I can pump fake a jumper and go hard to the rim with two or three dribbles if I have a straight line without losing control but if I start switching hands it's going to the other team. I give effort on D but my lateral quickness is not good. Pretty good team defender though. I'm like Bonner as I'm solidly built with no vertical, so I'm a poor rebounder.

Floyd Pacquiao
09-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Steph curry/boris diaw esque tbh

Infinite_limit
09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
http://www.oocities.org/wolfpackr_archiefan/wojotodd.jpg

Venti Quattro
09-09-2014, 12:55 AM

i'm much less likely to drive playing outdoors (i rolled my ankle on asphalt and cut my arm up pretty bad when i landed). If its on the hardwood then I'm going hard.

I'm okay with the physicality in the post but I'm scared of dribble penetration starting from the outside because I fear that the impact will injure me. I once got knocked down from a drive and my skull hit rock-solid concrete. I seriously thought I was going to die. If I aligned my game with an NBA player it would be Z-Bo or Marc Gasol

HI-FI
09-09-2014, 01:00 AM
I globally suck :lol

just know how to play p&r and go for the lay up, can shoot a jumper once in a while... Forget about the 3s :lol

average on defense

... That's almost Parker esque
about the same. growing up I had a good feel and passion for the game, then moved to an area full of blacks and was never the same. I tried out in junior high and was like "fuck this shit". high school team was all black except one Steve Kerr type, who was the coach's son :lol. I just gave up, though I've played with friends since then but it wasn't serious.

apalisoc_9
09-09-2014, 01:12 AM
about the same. growing up I had a good feel and passion for the game, then moved to an area full of blacks and was never the same. I tried out in junior high and was like "fuck this shit". high school team was all black except one Steve Kerr type, who was the coach's son :lol. I just gave up, though I've played with friends since then but it wasn't serious.

Honestly, basketball is 50% athleticism.

If you're under 6'3, you're already fucked...

ElNono
09-09-2014, 02:44 AM
solid handles, good passer/court-vision... was fairly lanky at a young age with good hops, so defense around the rim was there... that's about all the positives tho :lol

terrible shot, poor finishing around the rim, no post game, tbh...

I ended up doing much better as a goalkeeper and eventually striker in poorball...

Kamnik
09-09-2014, 04:50 AM

Scola - 0 athleticism
Nate Robinson - mega short

And they are still both above average NBA players

mudyez
09-09-2014, 07:22 AM
I'm basically a swiss army knife, playing mostly Big-PG or Point-Forward. You could descipe it as a melt of Penny Hardaway, Scottie Pippen... or just a mix of Andre Miller and Boris Diaw. Somewhat the olds men game, while not looking like a really old man.

Strengths

- Knowledge of the game...I'm a coach for over 12 years now and that shows in reading/pacing the game and leading temmates on the court...Also with the smarts to read the game, using Fakes etc. (I'm just acting like I'm stupid on ST ;) )

- Good Passer...and always ready to make the extra pass (Spurs style ^^)

- Handles...I could go the crazy route (mixtape style) but will just do whats necessary ingame. Good penetrator.

- Steady shooter...Won't take a lot of in your face shots, but can make a shot from anywhere if left open. Only a really good shooter from FT-Line (above 85% and the guy to close out games with clutch FTs...didn't miss any of these) and Corner-3s (around 50%).

- On my team I'm kind of a lockdown-D-guy, but its more about smarts and toughness/experience than athletism. I wouln't really call me a great defender, but while beeing a defense first coach, I'm giving my all on that end of the court.

- Endurance...can play the whole game (and do so often, since we don't have another PG my coach trusts it)

Weakness

- Even while beeing tall for my position, I'm not the guy that outjumps or outruns the young bugs. (right now I'm doing some extra workout which helps)

- I tend to overpass sometimes, sometimes trying to go through games without scoring at all.

- While beeing ok with defending wings and even a lot of bigs, I don't like pressuring PGs as I'm not fast enough.

Conclusion

I think I'm a well rounded player, that doesn't have huge holes in his skills (maybe athletism wise) but outside of passing/handles also no great super-skills. My biggest strenght should be the floor general thing with my biggest weakness beeing a sometimes too passive game. People I play with always tell me, they like to play with me, which should come from the pass first menthality. Coaches always tell me to shoot more.

Brazil
09-09-2014, 07:57 AM

:lol that and if you cannot handle the ball both hand... I'm worst than Lin in that category... forget about my left hand... cannot do anything right with it... well maybe I can handle some jerking off job with it but that's about it.

apalisoc_9
09-09-2014, 10:39 AM
:lol that and if you cannot handle the ball both hand... I'm worst than Lin in that category... forget about my left hand... cannot do anything right with it... well maybe I can handle some jerking off job with it but that's about it.

yeah if you are a pg and cant handle the ball with both hands, you are pretty much fucked...

The combination of both short and mediocre dribble is end story.

Malik Hairston
09-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Scola - 0 athleticism
Nate Robinson - mega short

And they are still both above average NBA players

Scola is tall and Robinson is a super-athlete..

If you're under 6'3, you better be in the most elite tier of quickness/athletism, tbh:lol..

Brazil
09-09-2014, 11:44 AM
yeah if you are a pg and cant handle the ball with both hands, you are pretty much fucked...

The combination of both short and mediocre dribble is end story.

as you said I'm pretty fucked I can play globally two positions: PG or SG, SF if really opponent is small. So for playing PG I don't have left hand and to play SG I don't have any 3s.... definition of sucking at basketball

Brazil
09-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Scola is tall and Robinson is a super-athlete..

If you're under 6'3, you better be in the most elite tier of quickness/athletism, tbh:lol..

Robinson is indeed a freak... dude can dunk the ball... speaking of bad example taken by Kamnik

Brazil
09-09-2014, 11:46 AM
btw nice thread :tu

not the first one like that but it is nice to talk about playing ball

Killakobe81
09-09-2014, 11:53 AM
btw nice thread :tu

not the first one like that but it is nice to talk about playing ball

I agree and although some probably are seeing their game with their "mind's eye" more than reality I think most gave some honest criticism of their games. I just think the strengths maybe embellished a bit. At least no one (not joking) is talking like Kenny does on TNT. Kenny was a beast at UNC but to hear him tell it he was great in the league as well when he was just above average tbh ...

Brazil
09-09-2014, 12:04 PM
I agree and although some probably are seeing their game with their "mind's eye" more than reality I think most gave some honest criticism of their games. I just think the strengths maybe embellished a bit. At least no one (not joking) is talking like Kenny does on TNT. Kenny was a beast at UNC but to hear him tell it he was great in the league as well when he was just above average tbh ...

all depends on what is the opposition tbh

You can be beast, hit the 3s, have a wet 15-20 ft jumper, good handling etc... against poor opposition, vs. decent opposition all is more complicated. All is of course relative but I believe most here are quite honest just embelishing a bit.

I can say I suck because my weaknesses are obvious even against poor opponent :lol

I play ball for the fun, I never practiced a lot because younger I was in swimming and rugby, I started late with some horse competition and a bit of poor level street ball. Dudes that take it too seriously are annoying as shit... if you play in this poor level street ball don't complain level is bad... no shit sherlock

Kamnik
09-09-2014, 12:16 PM
Robinson is indeed a freak... dude can dunk the ball... speaking of bad example taken by Kamnik

The guy wrote you are fucked if you are under 6'3. Chris paul is 6'0.

Brazil
09-09-2014, 12:26 PM
The guy wrote you are fucked if you are under 6'3. Chris paul is 6'0.

he said also: Honestly, basketball is 50% athleticism.

I believe he is knowledgeable enough to know that there are succesful under 6'3 guys

As a whole if you are not an athlete and under 6'3 you fucked that's what he meant

Chomag
09-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Pros:
Pretty good shooter 3 point shoot stayed between 400-500% through High-school
Good slasher mostly from lateral movements and was very quick changing directions
unselfish good passer.
Quick First step
Pesky Defender- I would frustrate so many people that I was guarding
Slightly above average Athletic- could dunk in game at 5'7
High Stamina - could usualy play a whole game if needed without it effecting me that much
Dedicated -Would work hard on my game just about every other day for hours at the gem

Weaknesses:
I'm a shorty at 5'8
My strait on foot speed was never that great
Can be pretty streaky at times
Never could develop good ball handling skills
Height
Height
Height

Biggest con of all for me would be that it's been years ago since I have even shot a ball let alone play and now I would say after If shook off all the rust I would be about 60-70% the player I was. Maybe less :lol

SpurSwag
09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
Strengths:

I'm usually one of the biggest players i play with (6'2) but i can get to the rim and finish like a guard

Good Jumpshot from Midrange and 3

Decent Post Game, Decent Passer

Good Rebounder

Weakness:

Get bored on D

Not the best handler

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-09-2014, 08:08 PM
Poor man's scalabrine.

kobe4life
09-09-2014, 09:16 PM
I'm a 6'2 version of God when I play on the court. If I was just 4 inches taller I would have made it to the NBA

mudyez
09-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Would be cool, if Tim Duncan or Matt Bonner outed themself as a ST-reader/poster using this thread.

"Some may call me Russel 2.0 or Olajuwon 2.0,...but I think I'm more than that."

...just to give you an example for a Bonner quote!

Dunc n Dave
09-10-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm 6'1", which was tall enough to play the post in HS (early 90's) but was rail thin (160lbs in HS):

My game has evolved since HS (now I weigh 215). I play every Sunday and now my game looks like this:
Strengths:
-good post moves (mostly baby hooks in the middle, or off the glass from the rt block, spin move baseline for reverse layup, don't use the up & under as much as I used to)
-great mid range shooter (catch & shoot, coming off screens, turnaround fadeaways, etc.)
-streaky 3 pt shooter (I have games where I hit everything even with a hand in my face, and the next game I go 1 for 5)
-willing passer, love to hit cutters to the basket (Boris Diaw bounce pass style)
-always to look to feed guys in post (I know what it's like to play with guards that ignore the post players)
-good bball IQ (I used to coach Jr High and HS bball, so sometimes I'm the guy over coaching everyone on the floor)
-try to constantly move without the ball if I'm not in the post (guys hate guarding me because they don't want to chase me)
-tough & overly physical defender (another reason guys hate when I guard them, I will typically deny them the ball on the strong side, and I box out on every shot anywhere on the court)
-good help defender who communicates on switches and calls for help (I take pride in defense)
-decent lateral quickness on D for my age (guys tell me I'm quicker than I look)

Weaknesses:
- ball handling is still average at best
- even slower now end to end
-overly honest in calling my own fouls (fouls I commit against others). It pisses off my teammates...
-if my guy gets a step on me, I'm toast on the perimeter (better off guarding post players)
-can't finish on a drive in traffic to save my life (blown layups)
-tend to overpass in traffic leading to turnovers (ala Manu)
- 2 bad knees (takes me 3 days to fully recover from the soreness)

Been told my game reminds people of Kevin Love (when my 3ball is on, lol)

Seventyniner
09-10-2014, 02:52 PM
Poor man's Dick Bavetta (present day)

Technique
09-11-2014, 03:20 AM
I'm 6'1 190lbs. Good combination of strength and speed. Great defense, patrick beverly like pressure. I shoot the 3 like korver n drive like my favorite player tony french toast parker.

hooperflash
09-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Can drive with either hand and finish with either in traffic. Use to be light quick but the college pounds have made me add some bulk/gearth. I'm usually a point guard type but I have a postgame that can get me out of bad situations vs taller players. I hate playing in games with players that have that me first mentality.

Streaky shooter with a euro game...

Defensively I can guard anyone (quick feet, long hands, 6"0" with shoes).

We'll have to give ST a hoop video one of these days.

TD 21
09-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Strengths:

+ Knockdown, complete (off the dribble, off screens, spotting up) shooter, with unlimited range and a lightning quick release

+ Low post moves

+ Passing, both stationary and off the dribble

+ Rebounding and defending, though more so out on the perimeter

+ Steals, both on an off ball, without recklessly gambling

+ Speed, quickness, vertical and second jump

+ IQ

+ Maximum intensity and unselfishness

Weaknesses:

- Ball handling

- Finishing at the rim

- Maximum intensity and unselfishness

Malik Hairston
09-11-2014, 08:19 PM
It's always funny seeing basketball regulars that can't play PG, despite being under 6 feet, tbh:lol..

5'8 niggas playing in the post:lol..

apalisoc_9
09-11-2014, 10:28 PM

Arcadian
09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
6'0" 160 lbs

+Good back-to-basket game. Like to iso in the low post, high post, or wing. Can score in multiple ways (hook shot, fadeaway jumper, up-and-under, step-through) or find an open man.
+Can score with both hands in close or midrange
+Love to use the glass from nearly all angles inside of 15 feet
+Liberal use of pump fakes and pivots to create my shot
+Good midrange shooter (better off the dribble than off a catch)
+Good range, can make spot-up 3s with space (but somewhat slow release)
+Good passer
+Good post defender
+Good off-ball activity (love to set picks and help the team however possible)
+Versatile, can play any position depending on the team's needs (but prefer to play SF or PF)

-Poor strength
-Poor quickness
-Mediocre stamina
-Mediocre handles (good for a PF, poor for a PG)
-Mediocre rebounder (good at boxing out, but will get pushed aside by bigger guys)
-Mediocre perimeter defender (good fundamentals, but too slow)

Basically I'm all skill and no athleticism. Definitely molded my game after TD.

TDfan2007
09-16-2014, 01:53 PM
I'm 6'1 185 lb and molded my game after Timmy...which in hindsight wasn't that smart.

Strengths:
-excellent low post/high post iso player. Hooks with either hand, turnarounds over either shoulder, running hooks, up and unders, spin moves, etc.
-Really good rebounder on both ends
-very good athlete, but not elite. Great second jump
-Series of off-balance one-handed shots that throw defenders off. These are my go-to shots that for some reason I shoot better than wide open shots...
-Ambidextrous in the paint
-Excellent defender and shot-blocker, especially one on one. Good lateral quickness. Can defend any position

-Pathologically competitive, which can help me stay on the floor against superior competition

Weaknesses:
-mediocre and inconsistent 3 point shooter
-Maddeningly inconsistent at the FT line.
-Not as aggressive as I should be. Diaw-like overpassing.
-Absolutely no PG skills. Can't handle well against traps/pressure, can't run a pnr to save my life...although I'm working on those two deficits.
-Don't play passing lanes well
-Trend to get in my own head when not playing well
-Poor finisher at the basket when going right. Like...embarrassingly bad at times :(

I'm basically a PF stuck in a PG's body.

TDfan2007
09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
It's always funny seeing basketball regulars that can't play PG, despite being under 6 feet, tbh:lol..

5'8 niggas playing in the post:lol..

I'm 6'1", but I basically have the same issue :depressed

ZERO PG skills...

Malik Hairston
09-16-2014, 05:05 PM
6'1 isn't that bad if you're playing against regular people, though, tbh..

Most people that play normal pickup basketball aren't very tall, and the dudes that are 6'4+ that play regular ball aren't usually good..

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
I played ball through high school. When I first started balling, I was more of a 3 and D player, but as time elapsed I became a slasher, just like Manu IMO. I'm also left-handed and I've worked on my Euro/Hop step a lot throughout the years.

benefactor
09-16-2014, 05:11 PM
6'1 isn't that bad if you're playing against regular people, though, tbh..

Most people that play normal pickup basketball aren't very tall, and the dudes that are 6'4+ that play regular ball aren't usually good..
Yeah...I'm 6ft and I'm basically a big SF by pick up ball standards.

DMC
09-17-2014, 08:24 AM
This thread is hilarious. You'd think people on this site are ex-ballers.

FkLA
09-17-2014, 08:51 AM
^Some people are going a little overboard. Think for anyone on this site the 'strengths' are dependent on competition. Even for pick-up ball there are different levels of competition.

mudyez
09-17-2014, 09:05 AM
^Some people are going a little overboard. Think for anyone on this site the 'strengths' are dependent on competition. Even for pick-up ball there are different levels of competition.

Yeah, sure...but isn't that always the case. Just think of D-Keaue Cory Joseph descirping his game and NBA Cory Joseph.

It's all fun here. If someone hits 20% of his threes and considers himself a great 3pt-shooter compared to his competition, so be it.

For my part, the biggest level I played on was 5th league in Germany (2nd Regional League). Thats far away from pro level, but already a league where ingame dunks happen, systems are run, every team practices at least 3 times a week and some players even get a few Euros for their efforts (not on my team and probably not more than 20-25 players in the whole league...depending on Sponsors). I believe thats somewhat Highschool level, but I really don't know for sure. Hopefully its better than your average US pickup game though (I mean the ones where the white dudes show up not Rucker Park).

ambchang
09-17-2014, 11:40 AM
After getting some plasma treatment in Germany, my game has transformed.

Strengths:
- Unlimited number of ways to score, from perimeter and in the post
- Post play taken straight out of Hakeem
- Deadly turnaround from the high post
- Supreme confidence, will continue to shoot in the tournament finals even if I was shooting 25% for the game

Weaknesses:
- My teammates

m>s
09-17-2014, 06:12 PM
bump plays just like pekovic i swear

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty much a lockdown defender that can seriously bang with the best down low. I'm pretty much useless offensively unless it's putbacks or blowing by my defender and drive to the rim since I have an insanely quick 1st step:lol

I'm honestly one of the best shot blocker even at my height. I'm pretty good chasing people on a fast break and reject that shot from behind. All ball too.

But yeah. I can't dunk and my jumper is suspect. So if you need a glue guy that will do the dirty work then pick me.

I love players like you....i bet you're the fucking man...You can run on my squad all day...I've mentioned this before and that is I dont like passing..If your offensive game is weak but you're a great defender I will pass you the ball but i expect the pass right back. I like guys that hustle and i keep the game flowing nicely. If there are Ho's watching then I'm a straight showboat and all. I hate that I'm that way but i show out for Ho's and be trying to clown niggas....i like offensive praise and glory...i be dropping niggas off at the rim kinda like this....sometimes....

WQxgHgRh95Y

Koolaid_Man
09-17-2014, 06:31 PM
None of you white boys are good at sports nor fucking..tbh

m>s
09-17-2014, 06:35 PM
None of you white boys are good at sports nor fucking..tbh
is that why your son is a fucking mulatto but the mom is black?

Malik Hairston
09-17-2014, 07:47 PM
We've all seen Kool's picture, there's no way that nigga is good at hooping, tbh:lol..

:lol looks like 5'8, 170 with 18% body fat IMO..

DMC
09-17-2014, 11:53 PM
Kevin don't shoot at anything but blackhawk copters and a little bird now and again, right skinny?

Calispursfan11
09-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Lol this thread. Half this ish can't be srs.

spurraider21
09-18-2014, 12:28 PM
its impossible to write how "good you are." what's an answer for that? a scale of 10?

the only thing you can actually describe is your play style. if people say "im a knockdown shooter" they obviously aren't referring to NBA caliber knockdown shooting, etc. its all relevant to who you are playing with/against. anybody taking people's descriptions literally and laughing about it is missing the boat here

Fireball
09-18-2014, 02:47 PM
I am awfully small, but thats not that much of a problem when I play pick up games at the university ...

my greatest strength is the fastbreak game ... I play like the US boys did at the FIBA World Cup - go for the steal or already leaving my defensive position in hope we get a rebound and I receive a touchdown pass ...

I am also a good passer on the fast break, kind of like Ginobili going for the difficult pass which sometimes simply does not work

thanks to my regular cardio training after a heart attack I can run all game long without slowing down ... ok, the defense suffers a bit and I noticed my jump shot is off the more exhausted I am ... but I still am more fit than most guys there who are 10+ years younger than me

otherwise I am a pretty streaky shooter

and yeah, I am the guy nobody likes because I try to draw some charges

Malik Hairston
09-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Ya, obviously depends who you're playing against, too..

I play mostly against current/ex college players in TO, so the competition is good, but even playing against inferior competition can be irritating, as those players tend to give more effort, tbh..I hate playing against short Asians, tbh, those niggas give way too much effort:lol..

DJR210
09-18-2014, 06:02 PM
I hate playing against short Asians, tbh, those niggas give way too much effort:lol..

:lol never surrender attitude..you ever have an asian harakiri himself after a tough pickup game loss?

mystargtr34
09-18-2014, 07:40 PM
I liked to play the LeBron role with less passing.. i was usually the tallest player on the court (6'5, 220) and had solid athleticism (for a white guy). Also i had a soccer background which helps a lot in b ball. Also had good handles and footwork for getting around guys off the dribble.. shaky 3 point shot.. but was always good at finishing in traffic. Shit mid range game though.

Come to think of it i was probably more like a bigger Marbury in that every possession would be me at the top of the key trying to get around my direct defender and the possession ending with me shooting or kicking out for a shot.

mystargtr34
09-18-2014, 07:40 PM
MI21 could probably give a second opinion since we played together a bit..

mystargtr34
09-18-2014, 07:42 PM
I'm 6'1", which was tall enough to play the post in HS (early 90's) but was rail thin (160lbs in HS):

My game has evolved since HS (now I weigh 215). I play every Sunday and now my game looks like this:
Strengths:
-good post moves (mostly baby hooks in the middle, or off the glass from the rt block, spin move baseline for reverse layup, don't use the up & under as much as I used to)
-great mid range shooter (catch & shoot, coming off screens, turnaround fadeaways, etc.)
-streaky 3 pt shooter (I have games where I hit everything even with a hand in my face, and the next game I go 1 for 5)
-willing passer, love to hit cutters to the basket (Boris Diaw bounce pass style)
-always to look to feed guys in post (I know what it's like to play with guards that ignore the post players)
-good bball IQ (I used to coach Jr High and HS bball, so sometimes I'm the guy over coaching everyone on the floor)
-try to constantly move without the ball if I'm not in the post (guys hate guarding me because they don't want to chase me)
-tough & overly physical defender (another reason guys hate when I guard them, I will typically deny them the ball on the strong side, and I box out on every shot anywhere on the court)
-good help defender who communicates on switches and calls for help (I take pride in defense)
-decent lateral quickness on D for my age (guys tell me I'm quicker than I look)

Weaknesses:
- ball handling is still average at best
- even slower now end to end
-overly honest in calling my own fouls (fouls I commit against others). It pisses off my teammates...
-if my guy gets a step on me, I'm toast on the perimeter (better off guarding post players)
-can't finish on a drive in traffic to save my life (blown layups)
-tend to overpass in traffic leading to turnovers (ala Manu)
- 2 bad knees (takes me 3 days to fully recover from the soreness)

Been told my game reminds people of Kevin Love (when my 3ball is on, lol)

:lol that would piss me off :tu

spurraider21
09-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Ya, obviously depends who you're playing against, too..

I play mostly against current/ex college players in TO, so the competition is good, but even playing against inferior competition can be irritating, as those players tend to give more effort, tbh..I hate playing against short Asians, tbh, those niggas give way too much effort:lol..
yeah, i play mostly against armenian friends so each teams' center is 6'3 if not shorter tbh :lol

Venti Quattro
09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
yeah, i play mostly against armenian friends so each teams' center is like 6'3 tbh :lol

Do you play pick-up against the Turks?

spurraider21
09-18-2014, 07:50 PM
Do you play pick-up against the Turks?
i dont have any turkish friends.. although a lot of armo's adopted turkish names to survive, so a lot of turkish sounding names