PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ferry's career in jeopardy after more details arise in Hawks scandal

Uriel
09-09-2014, 12:01 AM
Posting this in the Spurs forum, because Ferry is a former Spur, and he worked in our front office for some time. The racist comments he made are far worse than the one's made by Levenson, and I am absolutely appalled that this is coming from someone who worked for the Spurs, an organization that has historically been at the forefront for its principles of inclusiveness and diversity. What a disgrace.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2014/09/08/ferrys-job-in-jeopardy-after-more-details-arise-in-hawks-scandal/

hater
09-09-2014, 12:14 AM
well he's done.

he did look like a nazi IMo

cjw
09-09-2014, 12:17 AM
Maybe Bud wants to come home now if Pop were to ever hang it up?

hater
09-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Bud is probably a Grand Wizard tbh

exstatic
09-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Tactless crappy remarks or not, I was genuinely shocked that he got another GM job after the hash he made of Cleveland.

Biernutz
09-09-2014, 12:28 AM
He is toast...........

Floyd Pacquiao
09-09-2014, 12:29 AM
Paving the way for a coach bud return tbh

Baam
09-09-2014, 12:50 AM
Ferry said a potential free agent target “has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he’s like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.” Gearon said Ferry then described the player as “a two-faced liar and a cheat.”

Lol'd at that part :lol.

cd021
09-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Ferry said a potential free agent target “has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he’s like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.” Gearon said Ferry then described the player as “a two-faced liar and a cheat.”

Lol'd at that part :lol.

How awkward would that have been if Deng choose ATL and then this came out?

100%duncan
09-09-2014, 01:17 AM
He's long gone already. People overrate the "Spurs Organization" factor sometimes, more so recently because of 5. It doesn't matter who you worked for before, it's in yourself.

Spurs 4 The Win
09-09-2014, 02:19 AM
Not that I am defending racists cuz I am not, but are we going to act like black executives have never said anything racist about a white basketball player, i mean come on now lol

Mal
09-09-2014, 04:48 AM
:lmao Political correctness

davidbowie
09-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Typical dookie tbh

ambchang
09-09-2014, 06:51 AM
What did deng do?

AFBlue
09-09-2014, 06:54 AM
ESPN reporting that Ferry was repeating comments from gathered reports on Deng. Ferry released a statement to that end, saying the comments didn't reflect his views and apologizing.

AFBlue
09-09-2014, 06:57 AM
What did deng do?

Nothing...other than being a two-faced lying African that sells counterfeit crap out of the back of his shop.

tmtcsc
09-09-2014, 07:40 AM
What did deng do?

Ah crap, apparently he sold me Rollex.

look_at_g_shred
09-09-2014, 09:02 AM
FERRY :LOL

superbigtime
09-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Yowch, pretty awful things to say about someone even if they are just "repeated." Give me a break.

InRareForm
09-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Ferry is a douche bag

ceperez
09-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Ok.... what exactly is racist about what Ferry said?

He said there was a little African in him... an he meant it as a compliment.

However, he goes on to say that he questions Deng's honesty.

How is this racist?

I mean you can say the samething about just everyone:

Ginobili --- has a little Argentinian in him. Not in a bad way, but .... ( reckless and turnover prone )

Diaw -- has a little French in him. Not in a bad way, but .... ( enjoys his food too much )

Jeremy Lin - has a little Asian in him. Not in a bad way, but ... ( too analytical and doesn't take risks )

Splits
09-09-2014, 10:58 AM
What did deng do?

He was born in South Sudan...

ambchang
09-09-2014, 11:05 AM
He was born in South Sudan...

But still, why would he be called a two-faced liar? I mean, he has a very clean reputation, nice guy and all, but is he actually some scoundrel in real life stabbing people in the back?

Budkin
09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
:lmao what a fucking Ferry!

Splits
09-09-2014, 11:28 AM
But still, why would he be called a two-faced liar? I mean, he has a very clean reputation, nice guy and all, but is he actually some scoundrel in real life stabbing people in the back?

That's why Ferry is in the shit right now, Deng has no baggage, standup guy, involved in charities, etc but because he was born in Africa there must be something shady about him... It's called racism.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I don't even know if it's actually racist, but it was incredibly stupid. The other owner's freaking out was totally justified.

peacemaker885
09-09-2014, 11:42 AM
He's stupid for reading the report verbatim, knowing that its offensive. He had that report beforehand and it contains more racist comments - and he read it verbatim. He's a dumb ass racist.

Read more from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hawks/2014/09/09/michael-gearon-danny-ferry-luol-deng-bruce-levenson-atlanta-racism/15320011/)

Drachen
09-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Ah crap, apparently he sold me Rollex.

Do you need some sunglasses? I've got some sweet oaklees for only 12 bucks

rjv
09-09-2014, 11:45 AM
we're probably going to get one of these apologies (the standard BS american recant):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHRFhsZgY10

mingus
09-09-2014, 12:23 PM
The PC police are really reaching here.

"little African in him, but not in a bad way"--I don't know wtf this even means. Maybe there's a positive trait that African players tend to have that he's referring to? My gut says it's that they're prolly more mature than entitled, pampered American ballers given their life circumstances.

The other part about being a counterfeit is just another way of saying he's fools gold. I don't think he's disparaging an entire continent.

I really don't see what the deal is with his statements.

LOL Danny Ferry is going to be blacklisted from the NBA for nothing.

DPG21920
09-09-2014, 12:39 PM
He's stupid for reading the report verbatim, knowing that its offensive. He had that report beforehand and it contains more racist comments - and he read it verbatim. He's a dumb ass racist.

Read more from USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hawks/2014/09/09/michael-gearon-danny-ferry-luol-deng-bruce-levenson-atlanta-racism/15320011/)

This is what bugs me. Nothing he's done his entire life, including the relationships he's forged with what many consider to be stand up people suggest he's a racist. Saying one thing that is offensive/racist/stereotypical does not make someone a racist.

If any NBA player has ever said "honky" or made a joke about whites playing basketball then they should all be fined, suspended & labeled as racist.

spurs1990
09-09-2014, 12:42 PM
I've only encountered Ferry's African once before.

He owned a small shop off of Putnam Ave in Bed-Stuy Brooklyn.

I bought socks which tbh still have until today, four years after.

So if Deng is selling inferior goods, the team that buys it will still get several years of usage out of them.

Obstructed_View
09-09-2014, 12:51 PM
If Ferry were black, he'd be just another GM.

tmtcsc
09-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Do you need some sunglasses? I've got some sweet oaklees for only 12 bucks

Thanks, but no thanks. Just got a sweet pair of Fradas.

ambchang
09-09-2014, 01:00 PM
This is what bugs me. Nothing he's done his entire life, including the relationships he's forged with what many consider to be stand up people suggest he's a racist. Saying one thing that is offensive/racist/stereotypical does not make someone a racist.

If any NBA player has ever said "honky" or made a joke about whites playing basketball then they should all be fined, suspended & labeled as racist.

There was a movie made about it (White men can't jump), an entire advertising campaign around it (I forgot what it was, but there was this thing about a white unathletic player who resembles Kurt Rambis), and even public comments about it (Isiah and Rodman's evaluation of Bird). Nothing ever happened.

mingus
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM

The quote (that I read at least) doesn't generalize African people though in a demeaning way. The counterfeit part is somehow being tied to Africans in general when it doesn't need to be. Even if it ties to African basketball players, it doesn't need to be tied into Africans in general. For example, when people say Europeans are soft basketball players, do people relate that to European people as a whole? Not that I'm aware of.

polandprzem
09-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Damn it would be worse if he said that Gortat looks like a common polish sausage seller

:D

:lmao

ceperez
09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
The PC police are really reaching here.

"little African in him, but not in a bad way"--I don't know wtf this even means. Maybe there's a positive trait that African players tend to have that he's referring to? My gut says it's that they're prolly more mature than entitled, pampered American ballers given their life circumstances.

The other part about being a counterfeit is just another way of saying he's fools gold. I don't think he's disparaging an entire continent.

I really don't see what the deal is with his statements.

LOL Danny Ferry is going to be blacklisted from the NBA for nothing.

My take too... the African remark was a compliment. That is, he doesn't feel entitled.

Now the other remark was more personal, certainly not-racist. Look at the sentence structure... Ferry was saying, he does not feel entitled but you can't trust him.

The folks who see the word 'African' and interpret it as a negative are the real racists here.

SupremeGuy
09-09-2014, 01:46 PM

Lol'd at that part :lol.:lmao That's good shit, right there.

rjv
09-09-2014, 02:32 PM
seriously doubt the best litmus test for the degree of severity of one's remarks is this particular forum.

Cklbmk
09-09-2014, 02:50 PM
I see this as

Cleveland trades for Deng probably with a wink wink ill resign here type deal.

Then he gets there and its super dysfunctional and he's like F that im leaving

So Cleveland considers him two faced and a liar and when Ferry is doing his homework, whos he ask? Dengs former teams.

I could see most if not all of this originating from Cleveland

mingus
09-09-2014, 02:56 PM
My take too... the African remark was a compliment. That is, he doesn't feel entitled.

Now the other remark was more personal, certainly not-racist. Look at the sentence structure... Ferry was saying, he does not feel entitled but you can't trust him.

The folks who see the word 'African' and interpret it as a negative are the real racists here.

i don't know that they're racist, but they're assholes cuz they prolly just cost Ferry a job for no damn reason. It's pathetic, and it sucks for Ferry.

Russ
09-09-2014, 04:34 PM
After the offensive stuff that is routinely posted here, any outrage is nauseating.

benstanfield
09-09-2014, 05:28 PM
The quote (that I read at least) doesn't generalize African people though in a demeaning way. The counterfeit part is somehow being tied to Africans in general when it doesn't need to be. Even if it ties to African basketball players, it doesn't need to be tied into Africans in general. For example, when people say Europeans are soft basketball players, do people relate that to European people as a whole? Not that I'm aware of.

I'm sorry, what does owning a counterfeit store shop and swindling people because he's got a little African in him imply about his basketball skills? If you don't think it was a direct generalization about Africans (as implied by the "Not in a bad way, but..." meaning that what follows refers to his "little bit of African in him") then I don't know what to tell you. It's like saying "David Blatt has a little Jew in him. Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would swindle you out of some money and then own a bank because he's a gold-grubbing little rat" and then saying "b-but I was only talking about his coaching skills, not the Jewish people!"

I don't think Ferry is necessarily a racist, but he absolutely should be fired for being stupid enough to say something like that. Donald Sterling was banned for life and had his property forcibly auctioned for the contents of a private conversation.

Biernutz
09-09-2014, 05:53 PM
I just watched PTI on ESPN talk about Danny's "little African in him" comment. All these talking heads
focused on was a racist slant. They did not once mention that Dung was born in the Sudan and that was
what Danny was talking about. These low info talking heads are not only on network news. Tony Kornheiser
is one of the biggest horses asses in all of sports. I give a Wilborn a pass because he is usually fair in most cases.

Beaverfuzz
09-09-2014, 05:56 PM
I bet Ferry called him a Spearchucker behind closed doors and is now paying the price for it.

UnWantedTheory
09-09-2014, 06:40 PM
All I heard Ferry say was Deng could hook me up with some knock off shit on the cheap. Hell I go to Mexico for that. What's the big deal?

peacemaker885
09-09-2014, 06:51 PM
If Luol Deng says its an offensive statement, then it is just that. Danny Ferry should man up face the consequences instead of saying he's just reading the report bullshit.

Sports Illustrated: Luol Deng Statement (http://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/09/hawks-luol-deng-danny-ferry)

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Rumor has it Danny Ferry once read Huckleberry Finn out loud. Damn racist!

DarrinS
09-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Something was said about a black person. Time to destroy a career.

Biernutz
09-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Magic Johnson is calling for Danny to step down......Just a thought here about who will
try and buy the Hawks.....

Chinook
09-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Magic Johnson is calling for Danny to step down......Just a thought here about who will
try and buy the Hawks.....

It's so sad that millions of people die from HIV/AIDS but Magic's ass is the one that gets to pull through.

peacemaker885
09-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Jeff Ayers gets insulted in this forum almost every minute but none of them, at least none that I have read, were attributed to his race. Once you touch race, its a whole different ballgame.

dabom
09-09-2014, 07:59 PM
After the offensive stuff that is routinely posted here, any outrage is nauseating.

:toast

mingus
09-09-2014, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry, what does owning a counterfeit store shop and swindling people because he's got a little African in him imply about his basketball skills? If you don't think it was a direct generalization about Africans (as implied by the "Not in a bad way, but..." meaning that what follows refers to his "little bit of African in him") then I don't know what to tell you. It's like saying "David Blatt has a little Jew in him. Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would swindle you out of some money and then own a bank because he's a gold-grubbing little rat" and then saying "b-but I was only talking about his coaching skills, not the Jewish people!"

I don't think Ferry is necessarily a racist, but he absolutely should be fired for being stupid enough to say something like that. Donald Sterling was banned for life and had his property forcibly auctioned for the contents of a private conversation.

The "not in a bad way" contradicts what he's saying afterward. Which leads me to believe the second part is a seperate statements.

I read it as "he's got a little African in him (eg. he's not a pampered, AAU kid), but he's a counterfeit". Two unrelated statements. The counterfeit part could just as well be an expression that he used with no intended racial undertone. For example, I and other people I know didn't even get the "stereotype" until it was pointed out. At first--and until I hear otherwise I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt--I thought it was just an harmless expression.

Before, I get in on the crusade that will end up costing a couple people their jobs, I'm going to take the less cynical interpretation of it and give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he meant nothing by it.

Uriel
09-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Racism and reverse racism is a false equivalence. White people in privileged positions of power denigrating people who have historically been oppressed is not equivalent to black people doing the same with white people.

dabom
09-09-2014, 10:27 PM
Racism and reverse racism is a false equivalence. White people in privileged positions of power denigrating people who have historically been oppressed is not equivalent to black people doing the same with white people.

Wrong you stupid fuck.

Uriel
09-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Wrong you stupid fuck.
Ad hominem. Yet another logical fallacy.

SpurPadre
09-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Rumor has it Danny Ferry once read Huckleberry Finn out loud. Damn racist!

His favorite movie is The Birth of a Nation, tbh.

dabom
09-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Ad hominem. Yet another logical fallacy.

Reverse racism IS racism. WTF? lol

SpurPadre
09-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Reverse racism IS racism. WTF? lol

The term "reverse racism" is completely unnecessary since it seems to imply that the "inverse" is justifiable. Regardless, it's still a stupid term since the very definition of racism includes any race that is a victim of racial oppression.

dabom
09-09-2014, 11:45 PM
The term "reverse racism" is completely unnecessary since it seems to imply that the "inverse" is justifiable. Regardless, it's still a stupid term since the very definition of racism includes any race that is a victim of racial oppression.

I know. I was trying to educate that uneducated person.

HI-FI
09-09-2014, 11:56 PM
i don't see anything too bad about Ferry or the owner's comments. if Ferry had said "he has some nigg3r" in him I can understand the outrage, as that wouldn't be kosher for a big business. I think he was making more of a cultural remark than anything. In Spain the Africans are always pushing the counterfeit or bootleg stuff.

I hope he isn't fired for this, shit's getting out of hand with the phony outrage. Let liberals do their Ludovico technique on him so he's re-educated and move on.

hater
09-10-2014, 12:06 AM
Ferry does look like a neonazi imo

well deserved :tu

Uriel
09-10-2014, 12:14 AM
I know. I was trying to educate that uneducated person.
I never said that reverse racism wasn't racism; I said that to equate the two was tantamount to false equivalency, because the moral culpability that derives from both is decidedly unequal. You, my dear, are committing the Straw Man Fallacy.

If I'm so uneducated, why am I the one educating you on your cascading series of logical fallacies?

hater
09-10-2014, 12:20 AM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/urkel.jpg

shut up faggot

dabom
09-10-2014, 12:22 AM
shut up faggot

:tu

Spurs 4 The Win
09-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Jeff Ayers gets insulted in this forum almost every minute but none of them, at least none that I have read, were attributed to his race. Once you touch race, its a whole different ballgame.

He is bad in spite of his race lol

Spurs 4 The Win
09-10-2014, 12:27 AM
I never said that reverse racism wasn't racism; I said that to equate the two was tantamount to false equivalency, because the moral culpability that derives from both is decidedly unequal. You, my dear, are committing the Straw Man Fallacy.

If I'm so uneducated, why am I the one educating you on your cascading series of logical fallacies?

Its like quota systems, they are 100% racist and a get even policy instituted by liberal white apologists. Instead of making it on your own merit you are being downgraded or upgraded based off your color. The ultimate form of racism.

hater
09-10-2014, 12:28 AM
truth is the white man shot hisself in the foot by going after Sterling. You reap what you sow.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-10-2014, 01:59 AM

I don't think I've ever read or heard anything more stupid than this shit and I've been on this board for 10 years, so I've witnessed prime Ducks, KBP, etc.

TheGreatYacht
09-10-2014, 02:47 AM
:lol this isn't racist, just stupid

ElNono
09-10-2014, 03:08 AM
He's free to say whatever he wants. From a marketing standpoint, I also see why a business or businesses might want to part ways with him. The whole moral judgement thing is just a distraction, different people have different feelings about the subject (as seen on this thread, and out in the world everyday).

What kinda sucks is that his entire management career might be finished over a shitty player like Deng, tbh...

Uriel
09-10-2014, 05:40 AM
shut up faggot

:tu

I don't think I've ever read or heard anything more stupid than this shit and I've been on this board for 10 years, so I've witnessed prime Ducks, KBP, etc.

The fact that all you people can do is resort to ad hominem attacks while being unable to present a single reasonable counterargument based upon logical premises to refute my point tells me all I need to know.

Just to make it clear: obviously, I don't think reverse racism is justifiable. Reverse racism is still racism, and such, is morally reprehensible. It is highly immoral for black people to be bigoted against white people, just as it is for white people to be bigoted against black people. I never stated otherwise.

What I did state, however, is that the two are not on the same plane of moral culpability. White people have historically been in a position of privilege and power, and as such, are more accountable for their racist actions. By analogy, a rich person stealing from a poor person is far worse than a poor person stealing from a rich person. That isn't to say that stealing in the latter circumstance is justifiable (it clearly isn't). But it does acknowledge that those two actions shouldn't be held to the same moral standard.

BG_Spurs_Fan
09-10-2014, 05:49 AM
:bang

polandprzem
09-10-2014, 06:17 AM
Only in America!

and one

JWest596
09-10-2014, 12:21 PM
What I did state, however, is that the two are not on the same plane of moral culpability. White people have historically been in a position of privilege and power, and as such, are more accountable for their racist actions. By analogy, a rich person stealing from a poor person is far worse than a poor person stealing from a rich person. That isn't to say that stealing in the latter circumstance is justifiable (it clearly isn't). But it does acknowledge that those two actions shouldn't be held to the same moral standard.

It's "Equal Justice Under Law"......There should be no equivocations (in theory) of any kind, no separateness, distinctions, "paybacks", catch-ups" or degrees of culpability? based on color? or history?, "morality' nor do I subscribe to the class issues. And I'd rather have free and open speech with it's responsibilities and consequences than PC reactions and automatic judgements. Agree to disagree.

benstanfield
09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
The "not in a bad way" contradicts what he's saying afterward. Which leads me to believe the second part is a seperate statements.

I read it as "he's got a little African in him (eg. he's not a pampered, AAU kid), but he's a counterfeit". Two unrelated statements. The counterfeit part could just as well be an expression that he used with no intended racial undertone. For example, I and other people I know didn't even get the "stereotype" until it was pointed out. At first--and until I hear otherwise I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt--I thought it was just an harmless expression.

Before, I get in on the crusade that will end up costing a couple people their jobs, I'm going to take the less cynical interpretation of it and give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he meant nothing by it.

"Not in a bad way" refers to the "little bit of African in him", while "but..." and whatever follows refers directly to "Not in a bad way," which is itself referring to the "little bit of African in him". That's just the structure of the statement. What he said ins't necessarily racist, but it's extremely ignorant and insulting to basically an entire continent. Deng said as much in his statement. There is no benefit of the doubt here. He said something utterly unprofessional and stupid on official business time. His only defense is that they were someone else's words, and that is just an appeal to his stupidity and laziness.

He sucks as a GM anyways.

mingus
09-10-2014, 04:42 PM
"Not in a bad way" refers to the "little bit of African in him", while "but..." and whatever follows refers directly to "Not in a bad way," which is itself referring to the "little bit of African in him". That's just the structure of the statement. What he said ins't necessarily racist, but it's extremely ignorant and insulting to basically an entire continent. Deng said as much in his statement. There is no benefit of the doubt here. He said something utterly unprofessional and stupid on official business time. His only defense is that they were someone else's words, and that is just an appeal to his stupidity and laziness.

He sucks as a GM anyways.

I get that--that's how YOU interprete it. But it's no less interpretable the other way. It's ambiguous. It just depends on how you want to interpret it. No matter how many times you post about how it's only interpretable your way doesn't change the fact that it in fact isn't, so no need to keep shoving YOUR interpretation of it down my throat.

PublicOption
09-10-2014, 04:53 PM
W T F is going on.

1. Danny Ferry = class
2. Danny Ferry hired Mike Brown and Coach Bud
3. Danny Ferry went to Duke
4. Luol Deng went to Duke
5. He was reading someone else's scouting report
6. What does a little bit African but "not in a bad way" even mean?

Jenks
09-10-2014, 04:55 PM
shut up faggot
^

bluebellmaniac
09-10-2014, 04:58 PM
There is a lesson here...

Never, ever put yourself in such a vulnerable position. You may think you are among those who think like you and like you, but there is always someone who has an ax to grind. Someone who would prefer you were not there, for whatever reason. Danny put himself out there and made himself vulnerable and his opposition took their shot. That is why business people act like business people... it is more than professionalism... it is armor.

PublicOption
09-10-2014, 05:22 PM
I hope the Spurs re-hire ferry and say fuck you to everyone.......and dare reporters to ask Pop about him.

Reporter. What about ferry and his racist comments.

Pop. Those weren't Danny Ferry's original comments.

Reporter.....he said "blah"

Pop. We handled it. It's family business.

ohmwrecker
09-10-2014, 06:04 PM
I hope the Spurs re-hire ferry and say fuck you to everyone.......and dare reporters to ask Pop about him.

Reporter. What about ferry and his racist comments.

Pop. Those weren't Danny Ferry's original comments.

Reporter.....he said "blah"

Pop. We handled it. It's family business.

Spurs won't touch Ferry after this.

superbigtime
09-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I would think being called a liar and a cheat would be more offensive to Deng than the "a little African in him" part. He's a whole lot of AFrican.

Kamnik
09-12-2014, 05:22 AM
Audio avaliable:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/09/11/atlanta-paper-ferry-recording-on-deng/?ls=nbahpsplit2

Kamnik
09-12-2014, 05:27 AM
I would think being called a liar and a cheat would be more offensive to Deng than the "a little African in him" part. He's a whole lot of AFrican.

This.

The African part wasn't bad at all if you ask me... but I am white and from Europe so I am not so familiar with what black/African people are offended by and what not.

spursparker9
09-12-2014, 06:32 AM
I don't care about Ferry, tbh

anakha
09-12-2014, 02:55 PM
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/09/12/LuolDeng.pdf

The 'African' comments seem to have originated in Cleveland. :lmao :lmao :lmao

E: :lol at Thibs taking a shot at the Bulls front office.

spurraider21
09-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Ok.... what exactly is racist about what Ferry said?

He said there was a little African in him... an he meant it as a compliment.

However, he goes on to say that he questions Deng's honesty.

How is this racist?

I mean you can say the samething about just everyone:

Ginobili --- has a little Argentinian in him. Not in a bad way, but .... ( reckless and turnover prone )

Diaw -- has a little French in him. Not in a bad way, but .... ( enjoys his food too much )

Jeremy Lin - has a little Asian in him. Not in a bad way, but ... ( too analytical and doesn't take risks )
crofl no. he said deng has african in him, and then went on to explain how it makes him two-faced and that he'd lie behind your back

Splits
09-12-2014, 04:04 PM
ATLANTA (AP) — Under fire for making racially charged comments about a player, Atlanta Hawks general manager Danny Ferry took an indefinite leave of absence Friday.

Hawks CEO Steve Koonin has resisted calls for Ferry to be dismissed, but said the GM asked for the leave.

"This has been an incredibly difficult time for him and his family and it is my hope that this time away from the Hawks organization allows him the privacy he needs to listen to the community, to learn about his mistakes, and to begin the long process of personal healing," Koonin said. "As a human being, manager and friend, I wish him well as he undergoes this process."

Ferry made inflammatory comments about Luol Deng during a conference call with the Hawks' ownership group in June as he team was pursuing the free agent. The GM described Deng as someone who "has a little African in him."

Deng, who was born in what is now South Sudan, now plays for the Miami Heat. He responded to Ferry's comment by saying, "I'm proud to say I actually have a lot of African in me, not just 'a little.'"

Former NBA great Magic Johnson is among those who have called on Ferry to step down.

An internal investigation into Ferry's comments uncovered an unrelated email sent two years ago by the team's controlling owner, Bruce Levenson, who theorized that black fans were keeping suburban white fans from attending games.

Levenson said he was embarrassed by what he called an ill-advised attempt to improve the team's attendance and that he intends to sale his share of the team.

Cane
09-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Ferry just learned from the Spurs tbh, after all everyone agrees with Pop and Buford that Americans are lazy.

Birn
09-13-2014, 11:19 PM
Would love for Ferry to return to the Spurs. He's a damn good front office guy.

Prose
09-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Bud was arrested for drunk driving last year and media dosent care. Ferry reads email which offends people over race and he is fired. Why the lack of reaction towards problems from alcohol and over reaction on political and racial correctness.

boutons_deux
09-14-2014, 05:17 AM
Bud was arrested for drunk driving last year and media dosent care. Ferry reads email which offends people over race and he is fired. Why the lack of reaction towards problems from alcohol and over reaction on political and racial correctness.

BigAlcohol pays $Bs to keep/increas alcohol consumption accepted as a fundamental cultural behavior (same strategy for BigPharma's "everybody pop our pills for everything") and to keep DWI thresholds fatally high.

Nothing similar to shut people up who bitch about racism.

peacemaker885
09-14-2014, 10:01 AM
People in the real world get terminated for less everyday. He's rich so I'm pretty sure he will be alright.

Biernutz
09-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Adrin Wojanrowski had a story on the conference call that started all this..........

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/an-exclusive-look-at-hawks-gm-danny-ferry-s-fateful-phone-call-180253404.html

Prose
09-21-2014, 11:08 AM
BigAlcohol pays $Bs to keep/increas alcohol consumption accepted as a fundamental cultural behavior (same strategy for BigPharma's "everybody pop our pills for everything") and to keep DWI thresholds fatally high.

Nothing similar to shut people up who bitch about racism.

Exactly. This is like anhiser bush getting mad at nfl for Ray rice incident.....really alcohol, every single day leads to domestic violence and deaths, and yet they are acting like they are saints. What you mentioned earlier is the same reason alcohol and cigarets are legal and cause deaths every day yet weed is illegal.

exstatic
09-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Exactly. This is like anhiser bush getting mad at nfl for Ray rice incident.....really alcohol, every single day leads to domestic violence and deaths, and yet they are acting like they are saints. What you mentioned earlier is the same reason alcohol and cigarets are legal and cause deaths every day yet weed is illegal.

I think you're giving them too much credit. I think they KNOW their product can lead to violence, and simply don't want the connection made by way of advertising a sport rife with violence.