PDA

View Full Version : Ray Rice's wife: Hey media, thanks for ruining our lives

DarrinS
09-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Janay Palmer is finally breaking her silence about the video showing Ray Rice beating the crap out of her in a hotel elevator -- defending Ray and blaming the media.

In a post from her Instagram page Tuesday morning, and verified by the Baltimore Sun, Janay Rice writes, "I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend. But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare in itself."

She continued, "No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass of for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific."

Rice ended the post by saying, "THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/09/ray-rice-video-wife-janay-instagram-statement/#ixzz3CpQw54La

boutons_deux
09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
"unwanted options from the public" ?

unwanted opinions?

next time, Fox, always protecting/supporting women as part of the Fox/Repug War on Men, advises "take the stairs"

InRareForm
09-09-2014, 10:45 AM
Obviously ployed by Ray to say this.

boutons_deux
09-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Obviously ployed by Ray to say this.

dunno, no doubt her most "horrible" is the $Ms LESS she'll have to play with.

If RR doesn't get back in the NFL, what's he, she gonna live on? She better start looking around for her next ATM.

TDMVPDPOY
09-09-2014, 11:13 AM
either 50/50 or being to greedy

Spurminator
09-09-2014, 12:18 PM
I sympathize with her having to relive everything, and the strain it probably has on their marriage, but it's not really up to her to decide how criminal acts by public figures are handled by the media or her husband's employer.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I sympathize with her having to relive everything, and the strain it probably has on their marriage, but it's not really up to her to decide how criminal acts by public figures are handled by the media or her husband's employer.Yep. He just shouldn't have punched her.

Shit happens after you do something like that.

boutons_deux
09-09-2014, 12:52 PM

... only if caught on video.

Shit happens like that 1000s of times/day, but no vids, nothing happens (eg, the Ferguson killer cop, killer Geo Z)

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Yep. He just shouldn't have punched her.

She shouldn't have spit in his face. Shit happens after you do something like that.

boutons_deux
09-09-2014, 01:30 PM
yep, she deserves to be knocked out for spitting. the chick and the NFL linebacker were equally guilty, move on, right wingers got no problem with their he-man macho linebacker knocking out a female.

false equivalence.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 01:30 PM
She shouldn't have spit in his face. Shit happens after you do something like that.lol domestic violence apologist

boutons_deux
09-09-2014, 01:31 PM
ladies, don't go spittin at Snake "Ray Rice" Boy.

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 01:36 PM
lol domestic violence apologist

lol sympathizing with her as if she played no role in what happened. He deserves his punishment and she deserves to lose out on her payday.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 01:39 PM
lol sympathizing with her as if she played no role in what happened. He deserves his punishment and she deserves to lose out on her payday.
lol advocating violence against women

You're a peach.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 01:40 PM
:cry drops of saliva justify punching out a woman :cry

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
lol advocating violence against women

You're a peach.

lol advocating punishing the "innocent" victim.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 01:47 PM
lol advocating punishing the "innocent" victim.So if your girlfriend wife spat in your face, you would punch her out?

How about your sister?

Your mother?

angrydude
09-09-2014, 01:48 PM
To be fair, spitting on someone's face can be construed as assault. If Rice had spat on her face, he probably also could have been charged with domestic violence

FromWayDowntown
09-09-2014, 01:57 PM
I love when this topic devolves into the "bitch had it coming" defense. In times when I question myself, seeing those sorts of responses to these sorts of discussions reminds me that I might just be more reasonable than I thought.

Any dude who hits a woman is a lot of things, but justified is never one of them.

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 02:09 PM
So if your girlfriend wife spat in your face, you would punch her out?

How about your sister?

Your mother?

No I wouldn't hit a woman. Why do you think she is an innocent and then advocate punishing her?

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 02:10 PM
No I wouldn't hit a woman.So why are you such a fan of others punching out women?

Does it get you off?

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 02:14 PM
So why are you such a fan of others punching out women?

Does it get you off?

Why do you think she is innocent and then advocate punishing her?

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Any dude who hits a woman is a lot of things, but justified is never one of them.

I didn't say he was justified, in fact I said he deserves his punishment...and so does she.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Why do you think she is innocent and then advocate punishing her?Innocent of what?

Punishing her for what?

Use your words.

pgardn
09-09-2014, 02:32 PM
... only if caught on video.

Shit happens like that 1000s of times/day, but no vids, nothing happens (eg, the Ferguson killer cop, killer Geo Z)

Welcome to being an entertainer on TV.

You pay the price of losing your privacy when you are really good entertainer.
Funny how people have not figured this out yet.
I guess the NFL needs to prepare players by including a class on this subject.

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Innocent of what?

Punishing her for what?

Use your words.

She's suffering the consequences of her husband's punishment as much as he is. Do you think she deserves that or do you sympathize with her?

I'm saying she was not "innocent" in what happened and she deserves her husbands punishment as much as he does. Decent human beings don't spit in peoples face when they're upset.

Spurminator
09-09-2014, 02:35 PM
No one should spit on another person. If they do, they should absolutely expect to receive a very stern verbal reprimand, or perhaps even be spat back upon.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 02:38 PM

What if she had hit him first?

pgardn
09-09-2014, 02:42 PM
To be fair, spitting on someone's face can be construed as assault. If Rice had spat on her face, he probably also could have been charged with domestic violence

Oviously you are not sensitive to cultural practices other than your own small world.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DYwyBs15ekI

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 02:46 PM
She's suffering the consequences of her husband's punishment as much as he is. Do you think she deserves that or do you sympathize with her?What is she suffering? What happens next is still up to him. He's got a lot of ass kissing to do, but this isn't the way for either of them to act right now.

I'm saying she was not "innocent" in what happened and she deserves her husbands punishment as much as he does. Decent human beings don't spit in peoples face when they're upset.So you reserve the right to punch women out. It's an acceptable option to you.

Classy.

ElNono
09-09-2014, 02:47 PM
That mean media reporting what happened... :cry

FromWayDowntown
09-09-2014, 02:52 PM
What if she had hit him first?

I think I meant what I said.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 02:54 PM
I think I meant what I said.

So a man can't defend himself against someone if the other person doesn't have a penis? That makes no sense.

FromWayDowntown
09-09-2014, 02:56 PM
So a man can't defend himself against someone if the other person doesn't have a penis? That makes no sense.

There are ways to defend yourself short of hitting someone.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
There are ways to defend yourself short of hitting someone.

I think it's a stupid double standard tbh. No woman should think she can hit a man and not get treated like one back. I CROFLed at that dumb bitch who hit the bus driver and then got uppercut for it.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Eh, just have her arrested.

FromWayDowntown
09-09-2014, 03:00 PM
I think it's a stupid double standard tbh. No woman should think she can hit a man and not get treated like one back.

Cool. Same rule for dudes who get hit by preteens?

Personally, I'm content to believe that men who hit women are cowardly.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 03:00 PM
UcAGSgsuMOo

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Cool. Same rule for dudes who get hit by preteens?

Yeah

FromWayDowntown
09-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Yeah

Solid.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Solid.

What makes it any different from fighting back against an 18 year old male who punches you? Or do you not think you should hit a man either in self defense?

When I was a kid this dude down the street from me used to beat the hell out of adults who pissed him off when he was 13. If a kid like him punches me, of course I'm fighting back.

JoeTait75
09-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Self-defense is a basic human right regardless of the sex of the attacker.

FromWayDowntown
09-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Self-defense is a basic human right regardless of the sex of the attacker.

Sure. My point is that hitting the other person is not the only way to defend oneself.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Sure. My point is that hitting the other person is not the only way to defend oneself.

So you pull the gat when a woman hits you?

cantthinkofanything
09-09-2014, 03:29 PM

I usually counter with Double Dragon Paws. If executed properly, it's a non lethal technique of sedating an opponent. It's fucking indefensible.

vy65
09-09-2014, 03:32 PM
UcAGSgsuMOo

crofl

god bless you son

DisAsTerBot
09-09-2014, 04:07 PM
holy shit that video. what an uppercut!

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 05:11 PM
What is she suffering? What happens next is still up to him. He's got a lot of ass kissing to do, but this isn't the way for either of them to act right now.

Well why are you feeling sorry for her if she isn't suffering any consequences? Make up your mind.

So you reserve the right to punch women out. It's an acceptable option to you.

Classy.

Now your just going into your Chump routine and making up shit that was never said. Although yes I do reserve the right to defend myself against anyone regardless of their gender. Hell if a 10 year old girl comes at me with a knife the bitch is going down. Shocking to you I know since your idea of self defense is to call the police and then curl into a ball until they arrive.

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 05:20 PM
lol now you're going into "chump mode."

So you'll knock your mother out if she scares you bad enough.

lol

Spurminator
09-09-2014, 05:26 PM

If you're a professional athlete who is hundred pounds bigger than the person who takes a swing at you, you restrain them.

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 05:27 PM
lol now you're going into "chump mode."

So you'll knock your mother out if she scares you bad enough.

lol

Fuck that, if I see my mother I'm just going to start shooting. Head shots are best for zombies so they say.

Spurminator
09-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Talk about red herrings. If the video showed a woman of Ray Rice's size coming at him in the elevator and swinging her fists, and he had fought her off, this whole story would be reported completely differently. Because that's self defense. And he probably wouldn't have dropped her after one or two punches.

It's a controversy because that's not what happened. And for every incident where a man hitting a woman is legitimate self defense, there are a FUCKING THOUSAND incidents where the guy is just a fucking asshole beating up on someone with very little ability to defend herself.

If you guys want to debate the merits of a man punching a woman in self defense, chose an incident where that's actually the case instead of bringing unrelated hypotheticals to EVERY discussion about domestic abuse.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Talk about red herrings. If the video showed a woman of Ray Rice's size coming at him in the elevator and swinging her fists, and he had fought her off, this whole story would be reported completely differently. Because that's self defense. And he probably wouldn't have dropped her after one or two punches.

It's a controversy because that's not what happened. And for every incident where a man hitting a woman is legitimate self defense, there are a FUCKING THOUSAND incidents where the guy is just a fucking asshole beating up on someone with very little ability to defend herself.

If you guys want to debate the merits of a man punching a woman in self defense, chose an incident where that's actually the case instead of bringing unrelated hypotheticals to EVERY discussion about domestic abuse.

I was arguing with FWD's assertion that a man should never hit a woman tbh. I wouldn't punch a bitch for spitting on me.

pgardn
09-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Testosterone and pride are occasionally an ugly mixture.
Young men are easily controlled by these two factors.

Its not an accident that male teens, to late 20's, are the most likely to die violently.
Personally, I can get my wife so mad she will hit and kick at me very hard. I tease her into it.
I cover up, run, make her chase me around furniture. But hit her back... Never entered my brain.

The guy on the bus did the same thing to a crazy woman he does not even know. "I will get my grand daughter or whatever to punch you out, you need to get cut or slit". It's almost like he wanted to tease her into an attack.
"Sit down ma'am please... Please, I am driving people on a bus, this is dangerous". He went low like the crazy girl.
Think he would haVe prompted challenges from an ex NFL player with nothing to lose?

Pride at having a wench yell at him took over. I think a lot of these incidents would pass by if it were not for onlookers that might be perceived as making one party look soft. The girl was also acting out in front of friends it appeared. I hope both learned a lesson.

baseline bum
09-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Testosterone and pride are occasionally an ugly mixture.
Young men are easily controlled by these two factors.

Its not an accident that male teens, to late 20's, are the most likely to die violently.
Personally, I can get my wife so mad she will hit and kick at me very hard. I tease her into it.
I cover up, run, make her chase me around furniture. But hit her back... Never entered my brain.

The guy on the bus did the same thing to a crazy woman he does not even know. "I will get my grand daughter or whatever to punch you out, you need to get cut or slit". It's almost like he wanted to tease her into an attack.
"Sit down ma'am please... Please, I am driving people on a bus, this is dangerous". He went low like the crazy girl.
Think he would haVe prompted challenges from an ex NFL player with nothing to lose?

Pride at having a wench yell at him took over. I think a lot of these incidents would pass by if it were not for onlookers that might be perceived as making one party look soft. The girl was also acting out in front of friends it appeared. I hope both learned a lesson.

Nigga couldn't walk away; bitch could have. Funny shit seeing that nigga shoryuken a bitch.

SnakeBoy
09-09-2014, 06:41 PM

Sounds like a great relationship. How old are you?

Silver&Black
09-09-2014, 06:42 PM
UcAGSgsuMOo

Thanks for this...I haven't seen this b4.

Mike Tyson himself would be proud of that form.........

Tuddy
09-09-2014, 08:08 PM
The media through advertising is why your husband is stupidly rich

pgardn
09-09-2014, 09:58 PM
Sounds like a great relationship. How old are you?

Twelve going on 30 somethin.

FuzzyLumpkins
09-09-2014, 10:52 PM
lol domestic violence apologist

lol being indignant on her behalf when she doesn't want it. If she is a willing participant then who are we to give a fuck?

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 11:01 PM
lol being indignant on her behalf when she doesn't want it. If she is a willing participant then who are we to give a fuck?lol ignorant of psychology of the abused

If they can't live off the money he's already made, too bad. She's still a victim of domestic violence. Are you saying she isn't?

lol indignant

m>s
09-09-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm a victim of the abuse of having to listen to your shit for years now

ChumpDumper
09-09-2014, 11:15 PM
:cry http://thebeerbarrel.net/smilies/hitler.gif :cry

FuzzyLumpkins
09-09-2014, 11:49 PM
lol ignorant of psychology of the abused

If they can't live off the money he's already made, too bad. She's still a victim of domestic violence. Are you saying she isn't?

lol indignant

lol psychobabble
lol behavioral diagnosis with no subject interaction

I don't know what the dynamic of that encounter or their relationship.

I don't have much interest in ascribing victimhood on behalf of someone who doesn't want it.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 12:11 AM
lol psychobabble
lol behavioral diagnosis with no subject interaction

I don't know what the dynamic of that encounter or their relationship.

I don't have much interest in ascribing victimhood on behalf of someone who doesn't want it.lol a victim has to want it now

lol ascribing

Chinook
09-10-2014, 12:25 AM
Lots of chauvinists in this thread thinking women don't have the ability to start conflicts or that a strong man should be responsible for both his and a woman's bodies. Disgusting sexism that comes from the same place as almost all of the subjugation of women.

Shame folks are making this the face of DV when real abuse happens everyday.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 01:45 AM
Punching your girlfriend out is, you know, wrong and stuff.

A 5'8" 210 coil of muscle can handle things differently.

And yes, both are handling this badly now. They both knew what was on the tape and knew it was probably going to get out. There just seemed to be a lot more they could have done to get ahead of it as much as possible.

That goes for the NFL as well.

Chinook
09-10-2014, 02:29 AM
Punching ANYONE is wrong. I don't understand what folks fail to get about that. There's no need to try to act like it can be extra wrong depending on gender. Rice and Palmer are equally responsible for the conflict (as far as we know) that Rice was strong enough to knock her out has no bearing. Saying his strength makes his assault more wrong when compared with hers is like saying that stealing $1000 dollars is worse than stealing $500 dollars.

ElNono
09-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Punching ANYONE is wrong. I don't understand what folks fail to get about that. There's no need to try to act like it can be extra wrong depending on gender. Rice and Palmer are equally responsible for the conflict (as far as we know) that Rice was strong enough to knock her out has no bearing. Saying his strength makes his assault more wrong when compared with hers is like saying that stealing $1000 dollars is worse than stealing $500 dollars.

Don't necessarily agree with this, but I also don't think it has to do strictly with gender. Gender gets tacked in because the female normally is the weakest of the two.

There's a variety of ways to deescalate a violent situation, and Ray in this case certainly seemed like he had the ability to do that. He didn't and he opted to throw a punch instead. That's on him. Now, obviously, this is just one aspect of a much more complex situation.

Chinook
09-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Don't necessarily agree with this, but I also don't think it has to do strictly with gender. Gender gets tacked in because the female normally is the weakest of the two.

There's a variety of ways to deescalate a violent situation, and Ray in this case certainly seemed like he had the ability to do that. He didn't and he opted to throw a punch instead. That's on him. Now, obviously, this is just one aspect of a much more complex situation.

I certainly don't disagree with that. My issue is more about people wanting to absolve Palmer for her role, call her a victim and completely disregard her insistence on being a willing participant in the conflict as simply the babbling of an abusee. They both made mistakes in that conflict. They both escalated it. They both crossed the line. They were both wrong. Ray wasn't more wrong because he's a man.

boutons_deux
09-10-2014, 05:47 AM
black (misogynist) solidarity! :lol

Ben Carson on Ray Rice: 'Let's Not Demonize This Guy'

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ray-rice-ben-carson-dont/2014/09/08/id/593307/

pgardn
09-10-2014, 08:00 AM
You put yourself in the bus drivers seat, a crazy woman screaming at you. And then she strikes you. The males get puffy and say she wants to act like a man? So treat her like a man and because you are quicker and stronger, basically give her a very decisive sucker punch. The driver wanted her laid out and he met his goal.

So you kept your pride and it felt really good. Nice.

I feel it. But it still would not sit right in my head. I understand others probably feel differently. She did probably learn something. Wonder how that route felt after the incident knowing payback from her thug friends might be due...

boutons_deux
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM
there are other ways for an NFL linebacker, or bus driver, to defend himself against any attacking but unarmed lady than beating the shit of her.

Bill_Brasky
09-10-2014, 09:17 AM
any male of avg strength can restrain any female tbh. Punching chicks is just punkish. No woman outside of a female body builder(lol 'woman') would ever have a chance in a fight with a dude. If you let her sucker you into hitting her, you are dumb and got played.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Punching ANYONE is wrong. I don't understand what folks fail to get about that. There's no need to try to act like it can be extra wrong depending on gender. Rice and Palmer are equally responsible for the conflict (as far as we know) that Rice was strong enough to knock her out has no bearing. Saying his strength makes his assault more wrong when compared with hers is like saying that stealing $1000 dollars is worse than stealing $500 dollars.Legally, stealing a larger amount is worse.

FromWayDowntown
09-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Saying his strength makes his assault more wrong when compared with hers is like saying that stealing $1000 dollars is worse than stealing $500 dollars.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but penal statutes in most (if not all) American jurisdictions penalize crimes by degree and assess degree based upon either the extent of the injury or the degree of culpability of the accused. To that end, we do generally take into account societally recognized disparities between victims and those who injure them in some criminal contexts -- for instance, penalizing injury to a child more harshly than injuries to adults.

This, ultimately, is my point about justification. I agree generally with the idea that non-consentual punching of anyone is unjustifiable. But if you accept the assumption that there are just people in the world who are going to resort to punches in an effort to resolve conflicts, the question is whether the only way to respond to that is with punches in kind. I get that it may be the most practical way to defend oneself in a given circumstance, but that doesn't ever mean it's the only way. When you're bigger and stronger than the person you're interacting with, you always have choices short of fisticuffs to respond to those who direct violence toward you, even if they punch first. And my life experiences, as someone who has almost always been bigger and stronger than anyone I was interacting with, tell me that the best choice in every conflict is a response that does not entail violence. I choose to believe, from that, that resorting to violence -- even when confronted with violence -- is not justified. I'm likely alone in that view, but that's how I see the world.

DarrinS
09-10-2014, 01:04 PM
The NFL is full of Ray Rices

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/09/the-nfl-is-full-of-ray-rices.html

vy65
09-10-2014, 01:09 PM
lol a victim has to want it now

Is a "victimized" person who refuses the label as a way of empowering his/herself, still a victim?

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Is a "victimized" person who refuses the label as a way of empowering his/herself, still a victim?Eye of the beholder.

Legal system said both are victims, but I think most would agree she got the worst of it.

vy65
09-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Eye of the beholder.

What does that mean?

Legal system said both are victims, but I think most would agree she got the worst of it.

Not asking about the legal system or who got the worst of it. I'm asking about how the social/cultural view.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 01:20 PM
The NFL is full of Ray Rices

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/09/the-nfl-is-full-of-ray-rices.htmlIt is, and the league and the Rices and Nike and Madden, et.al, all missed out on an opportunity to deal with this in a more constructive manner. All parties are just trying to sweep it under the rug in one way or the other. It's not going to go away.

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 01:21 PM
What does that mean?Depends on the individual's definition.

Not asking about the legal system or who got the worst of it. I'm asking about how the social/cultural view.Your definition.

See?

vy65
09-10-2014, 01:23 PM
Depends on the individual's definition.

Ok. And what is your definition in the hypothetical I gave above?

ChumpDumper
09-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Ok. And what is your definition in the hypothetical I gave above?It's way too hypothetical.

If an individual doesn't want to characterize him or herself as a victim, fine. That doesn't mean it changes the perception of everyone else in the world.

boutons_deux
09-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Fox contributor complains that ‘anti-testicular police’ are trying to take Ray Rice’s ‘b*lls’
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Fox-News-contributor-Tamara-Holder-090914-youtube.jpg

the anti-testicular police are coming out and just taking this guy’s b*lls and ripping them off

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/10/fox-contributor-complains-that-anti-testicular-police-are-trying-to-take-ray-rices-blls/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

SnakeBoy
09-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Retarded Liberal that occasionally appears on Fox complains that ‘anti-testicular police’ are trying to take Ray Rice’s ‘b*lls’
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Fox-News-contributor-Tamara-Holder-090914-youtube.jpg

the anti-testicular police are coming out and just taking this guy’s b*lls and ripping them off

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/10/fox-contributor-complains-that-anti-testicular-police-are-trying-to-take-ray-rices-blls/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

boutons_deux
09-11-2014, 04:54 AM
Fox and its contributors are total trash.

boutons_deux
09-11-2014, 05:19 AM
nah, she's a utility player, plays both left and right fields. Here's she collecting a few $100 for throwing some red meat to the wannabe macho (old, white, pot bellied, decrepit) racists.

boutons_deux
09-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Beyond Janay Rice: Lessons From a State Where Domestic Violence Runs Rampant (http://www.thenation.com/blog/181556/beyond-janay-rice-lessons-state-where-domestic-violence-runs-rampant)

More than three times as many women have died here at the hands of current or former lovers than the number of Palmetto State soldiers killed in the Iraq andAfghanistan (http://www.thenation.com/afghanistan?lc=int_mb_1001) wars combined.

It’s a staggering toll that for more than 15 years has placed South Carolina among the top 10 states nationally in the rate of women killed by men.

The state topped the list on three occasions, including this past year, when it posted a murder rate for women that was more than double the national rate.

Among the factors that lead to the state’s distinction as one of the worst for women hoping to survive their romantic relationships:

Lack of will (http://www.postandcourier.com/assets/till-death/parttwo.html)on the part of legislators to pass laws that protect women. According to the series, “A man can earn five years in prison for abusing his dog but a maximum of just 30 days in jail for beating his wife or girlfriend on a first offense.”

The challenges prosecutors face (http://www.postandcourier.com/assets/till-death/partfive.html) in getting cases to stick. According to the series, “A number of factors contribute to this problem, from overcrowded court dockets and under-trained police to victims too scared to testify against the men who beat them.”

Trusted pastors in this deeply religious state who advise (http://www.postandcourier.com/assets/till-death/partthree.html) that staying and working things out is God’s will. According to the series, religious leaders can unwittingly put women in greater danger: “In churches that did acknowledge abuse… pastors often compounded the problem by counseling abusers and victims together—and then sending them home with the sting of their shared grievances still fresh. Back behind closed doors, the abuser would take out his frustrations on his partner all over again.”

http://www.thenation.com/blog/181556/beyond-janay-rice-lessons-state-where-domestic-violence-runs-rampant

boutons_deux
09-11-2014, 10:43 AM
The Repug War on Wimmen:

An entire party of Roger Goodells: Calling out the GOP’s domestic violence problem

From its position on the Violence Against Women Act to economic and social policies that are destroying the kinds of infrastructure that make it possible for women to leave abusive relationships, the GOP is fostering a culture of permissiveness around violence against women.

This week marks the 20th anniversary of VAWA, but last year, congressional Republicans were lining up to oppose the historically bipartisan measure (http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/violence-against-women-act-trips-another-gop-lawmaker). The Senate version of the bill included expanded protections for immigrant women, LGBTQ women and Native American women, a move opposed by many House Republicans.

VAWA is an imperfect and limited piece of policy, but its impact is felt daily. As Irin Carmon at MSNBC noted this week (http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/how-make-it-easier-abuse-survivors-leave), among its many protections, VAWA safeguards victims who live in federally subsidized Section 8 housing from being evicted “on the basis of being victims of violence, and includes a new provision that allows them to transfer to a different residence.” This small measure of protection shields women — at least in these cases — from homelessness, an issue women in private housing have faced after calling the police (http://www.salon.com/2014/09/09/pennsylvania_town_will_no_longer_evict_domestic_vi olence_victims_who_call_the_police_seeking_help/) on violent partners. (Around 63 percent (http://www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/domestic.html) of women who are homeless have experienced domestic violence.)

Republican opposition to (or selective embrace of) VAWA is among the most obvious ways the GOP has displayed its indifference to the needs of victims. But perhaps more insidious is the GOP’s economic agenda, which further marginalizes low-income women, women of color and undocumented immigrant women experiencing domestic violence.

Last year, the Republican-orchestrated shutdown locked down federally funded victims assistance programs like the Temporary Aid to Needy Families and the Victims of Crimes Act. The money drawn from these programs by state-level agencies and community-based organizations is used to reimburse crisis counseling programs, domestic violence shelters, long-term counseling programs as well as legal assistance for women leaving abusive relationships.

http://www.salon.com/2014/09/11/an_entire_party_of_roger_goodells_calling_out_the_ gops_domestic_violence_problem/

Thanks, Repugs and your Bible-thumping women-are-to-be-subservient-bitches "Christian" base.

Agloco
09-11-2014, 12:57 PM
She shouldn't have spit in his face. Shit happens after you do something like that.

Yeah, you know.....like punching your fiancee. After all, it's the only natural, logical reaction right? Not like spitting back in her face or, better yet, ignoring her were really options.

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah, you know.....like punching your fiancee. After all, it's the only natural, logical reaction right? Not like spitting back in her face or, better yet, ignoring her were really options.

That comment was in response to feeling sorry for the girl. If you want Agloco, try going around and spit in people's faces and see if shit happens. I'm betting it will and I won't feel sorry for you when it does. Sure a smarter response would have been to walk away and not marry the woman but let's stay in the real world where we all know what type of response spitting in a person's face is likely to elicit instead of saying "Oh poor innocent victim". That doesn't justify his actions but it's possible for both people to be in the wrong and for both to deserve the punishment they are now receiving.

Chinook
09-11-2014, 01:31 PM

You know what were also options for her? Not hitting and spitting on him. But that didn't happen, because she messed up. That's why it's her fault too. That's why this wasn't abuse. That's why the police didn't categorize it that way. That's why they both went to counselling.

boutons_deux
09-11-2014, 01:33 PM
who's talking abou "going around" and spitting in strangers' faces? straw man.

the case is a girlfriend ALLEGEDLY spitting in her NFL LINEBACKER'S face and thereby, for Macho Man Heavy Puncher SnakeBoy, she deserves to be knocked out.

TeyshaBlue
09-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Fox and its contributors are total trash.

lol thinkprogress

Agloco
09-11-2014, 01:52 PM
That comment was in response to feeling sorry for the girl. If you want Agloco, try going around and spit in people's faces and see if shit happens. I'm betting it will and I won't feel sorry for you when it does. Sure a smarter response would have been to walk away and not marry the woman but let's stay in the real world where we all know what type of response spitting in a person's face is likely to elicit instead of saying "Oh poor innocent victim". That doesn't justify his actions but it's possible for both people to be in the wrong and for both to deserve the punishment they are now receiving.

Sure, they're both wrong. I don't think you'll find a single person arguing against that notion. I was referring to Ray's response. Given that she had spit in his face, what sort of response should logically follow?

Why do you feel the need to ask me what I think will happen if I walk up to random people and spit in their faces? Your question is out of context IMO. What you miss is the simple fact that they aren't strangers. It was his fucking fiancee. That fact alone should cause you to scrutinize his lack of restraint even more. So yeah, if walking away was EVER an option after having been spat on it would be after someone you claim to love did it.

You know what were also options for her? Not hitting and spitting on him. But that didn't happen, because she messed up. That's why it's her fault too. That's why this wasn't abuse. That's why the police didn't categorize it that way. That's why they both went to counselling.

See above. I was referring specifically to Ray's response to her spitting. I wasn't addressing or even arguing the fact that she was complicit. I think we can all agree that she was.

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I was referring to Ray's response.

I wasn't so there really isn't anything to debate here. You agree they are both wrong. The op is about his wife whining about his punishment and how it affects her. I don't feel sorry for her, do you?

Cry Havoc
09-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Not trying to be a smart ass, but penal statutes in most (if not all) American jurisdictions penalize crimes by degree and assess degree based upon either the extent of the injury or the degree of culpability of the accused. To that end, we do generally take into account societally recognized disparities between victims and those who injure them in some criminal contexts -- for instance, penalizing injury to a child more harshly than injuries to adults.

This, ultimately, is my point about justification. I agree generally with the idea that non-consentual punching of anyone is unjustifiable. But if you accept the assumption that there are just people in the world who are going to resort to punches in an effort to resolve conflicts, the question is whether the only way to respond to that is with punches in kind. I get that it may be the most practical way to defend oneself in a given circumstance, but that doesn't ever mean it's the only way. When you're bigger and stronger than the person you're interacting with, you always have choices short of fisticuffs to respond to those who direct violence toward you, even if they punch first. And my life experiences, as someone who has almost always been bigger and stronger than anyone I was interacting with, tell me that the best choice in every conflict is a response that does not entail violence. I choose to believe, from that, that resorting to violence -- even when confronted with violence -- is not justified. I'm likely alone in that view, but that's how I see the world.

Great post. Martial artists could respond with maximum force every time someone is aggressive with them. That would result in a lot of severely injured people and probably a few bodies. As one of the strongest, most athletic individuals in the world, Rice could have actually killed her with that punch. She was wrong to be aggressive, but that doesn't make the situation cut and dried. Rice went far past a reasonable response.

Cry Havoc
09-11-2014, 02:45 PM
I wasn't so there really isn't anything to debate here. You agree they are both wrong. The op is about his wife whining about his punishment and how it affects her. I don't feel sorry for her, do you?

I do, as it's obvious she doesn't understand what a terrible situation she's in. It's easy to be callous about the other people's mistakes, but it shows a lack of empathy or education about how abused individuals struggle to come to grips with said abuse.

pgardn
09-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Great post. Martial artists could respond with maximum force every time someone is aggressive with them. That would result in a lot of severely injured people and probably a few bodies. As one of the strongest, most athletic individuals in the world, Rice could have actually killed her with that punch. She was wrong to be aggressive, but that doesn't make the situation cut and dried. Rice went far past a reasonable response.

No.

You see Ray Rice is like that drunken skinny fool in the video.
Thats why it was put up.
You see, you see that... women can be tougher.

That guy in the video is a serious NFL type athlete. Should find a video of a woman rolling a guy in a wheel chair off a cliff.
That'll showem how tough women can be...

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 03:07 PM
It's funny that so many who are arguing that women are weak and frail compared to a man are the same people who think women belong in combat.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 03:16 PM
It's funny that so many who are arguing that women are weak and frail compared to a man are the same people who think women belong in combat.If countries fought wars MMA style you might have a point.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I now expect a flurry of hypothetical combat situations to wade through.

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 03:26 PM
If countries fought wars MMA style you might have a point.

Yeah no chance for a physical confrontation in a war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFiQnW4hXfw

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 03:48 PM
I now expect a flurry of hypothetical combat situations to wade through.
crofl

Is that the only kind of combat anyone will ever see in the military?

Yes or no.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 03:56 PM
Yeah no chance for a physical confrontation in a war.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFiQnW4hXfwWait a second.

This guy was holding his rifle in both hands.

Why not just shoot him?

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 03:57 PM
crofl

Is that the only kind of combat anyone will ever see in the military?

Yes or no.

No. That wasn't a hypothetical, according to you if had been a woman she would have been too weak and frail to defend herself.

Is the military wasting time and money training for hand to hand combat situations?

Yes or no.

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Wait a second.

This guy was holding his rifle in both hands.

Why not just shoot him?

I know you don't believe in having a gun so you probably don't know that you need bullets in order to do that.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 04:00 PM
No.Thanks. So women in combat in general isn't an issue to you.

Is the military wasting time and money training for hand to hand combat situations?

Yes or noIrrelevant to the argument.

Thanks for your answer though. In conclusion, women can be in combat.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I know you don't believe in having a gunWhere did you get that idea?

Provide a link for all of us to see where I say I don't believe in having a gun at any time under ant circumstances.

so you probably don't know that you need bullets in order to do that.Straight to the logical fallacies.

Didn't take long.

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 04:04 PM
No. That wasn't a hypothetical, according to you if had been a woman she would have been too weak and frail to defend herself.lol your "if" automatically makes it a hypothetical.

And was Ray Rice's wife in the military?

You're slipping, dude.

SnakeBoy
09-11-2014, 04:12 PM
Thanks. So women in combat in general isn't an issue to you.

Irrelevant to the argument.

Thanks for your answer though. In conclusion, women can be in combat.

I think women are more than capable of being in combat because they are not all weak and frail compared to men. If you don't think they are all weak and frail compared to men, then why are you arguing with my comment that it is funny that some people that are claiming they are also argue that women should be in combat?

ChumpDumper
09-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I think women are more than capable of being in combat because they are not all weak and frail compared to men. If you don't think they are all weak and frail compared to men, then why are you arguing with my comment that it is funny that some people that are claiming they are also argue that women should be in combat?Is Mrs. Rice military-trained for hand to hand combat?

Yes or no.

z0sa
09-12-2014, 04:51 AM
Bitch just doesn't care about herself, why, cause benjamin's

boutons_deux
09-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Fox/Repug War on Women (and better if she's black):

Hannity guest: Rice’s wife ‘knocked herself out’ on elevator railing so he’s the ‘bigger victim’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/fox_delgado1-615x345.jpg

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/11/hannity-guest-rices-wife-knocked-herself-out-on-elevator-railing-so-hes-the-bigger-victim/

Cry Havoc
09-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Fox/Repug War on Women (and better if she's black):

Hannity guest: Rice’s wife ‘knocked herself out’ on elevator railing so he’s the ‘bigger victim’

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/fox_delgado1-615x345.jpg

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/11/hannity-guest-rices-wife-knocked-herself-out-on-elevator-railing-so-hes-the-bigger-victim/

That might be the worst mobile site I've ever seen. I have the newest nexus 7 and it bogged down like crazy.

Agloco
09-12-2014, 01:01 PM

As I stated in my response to you, I feel that the magnitude of Ray's response far exceeded what one would expect given that it was his fiancee who spat on him. They got into a heated spat. That your significant other might at some point knock you out cold and drag you out of an elevator face down is never a reasonable supposition in that situation. In that regard I do feel that her anger is justified. It is, however, misplaced. It should be directed squarely at Ray and not the media.

Ray reacted as I would expect him to react to a stranger. That's all on Ray and no one else.

boutons_deux
09-12-2014, 01:26 PM
That might be the worst mobile site I've ever seen. I have the newest nexus 7 and it bogged down like crazy.

yeah, sucks on my Lenovo yoga 10.1 HD+. I have to go to the full site.

Cry Havoc
09-12-2014, 01:36 PM
As I stated in my response to you, I feel that the magnitude of Ray's response far exceeded what one would expect given that it was his fiancee who spat on him. They got into a heated spat. That your significant other might at some point knock you out cold and drag you out of an elevator face down is never a reasonable supposition in that situation. In that regard I do feel that her anger is justified. It is, however, misplaced. It should be directed squarely at Ray and not the media.

Ray reacted as I would expect him to react to a stranger. That's all on Ray and no one else.

If your dog poops in my yard, I get to burn your house down. Fair's fair.

pgardn
09-12-2014, 03:12 PM
I found this interesting. Never thought about some of these.

http://m.mic.com/articles/98326/19-why-istayed-tweets-that-everyone-needs-to-see?utm_source=policymicFB&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=social

pgardn
09-12-2014, 03:14 PM
The NFL is in deep shit.

They knew way too much and lied about. I wonder who the fall guys will be.

TheSanityAnnex
09-12-2014, 03:44 PM
If your dog poops in my yard, I get to burn your house down. Fair's fair.That isn't all that fair. Shooting the dog seems more fair.

boutons_deux
09-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Ray Rice Is an Outlier: Most Domestic Abuse Suspects Play On

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/sports/football/ray-rice-is-an-outlier-most-domestic-abuse-suspects-play-on.html

boutons_deux
09-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Rush Limbaugh on Ray Rice: All this talk about domestic violence is ‘chickifying’ football
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/12/rush-limbaugh-on-ray-rice-all-this-talk-about-domestic-violence-is-chickifying-football/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheRawStory+%28The+Raw+Story% 29

Repugs, bubbas, rednecks, tea baggers BEAT their wimmen. It's all part of being A Real Man.

boutons_deux
09-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Vikings Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted in child injury case

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-adrian-peterson-child-abuse-20140912-story.html

Chinook
09-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Yes. That's what it was. It wasn't abuse. By all accounts, he just made a mistake. His wife did too. He's not a horrible human being just for snapping and responding badly after repeated provocations. I think she has every right to be pissed at the media spinning this out of control, especially if she knows that she played a bigger role than people assign to her. She obviously hit him first (in the video), and she may well have been physical with him previously. There's no way that anyone who does that SHOULD feel like they're a victim. Yet, the media completely disregarded her own agency in the ordeal. They turned her into a victim to make Rice into a monster. That is the media's fault, not Rice's nor Palmer's.

Ray deserved his punishment (not to this extent, but still) for overreacting and using dangerous force. However, Palmer was not a victim just because she's weaker. I simply don't think it's fair for people to call this DA when there are legit cases where one family member actually does abuse a person who's not fighting back or even doing anything wrong. Ray has done a lot of good in the community. To be compared to OJ Simpson, for people to say that he was did was worse than that Hernandez did, is completely baseless.

As far as the elevator thing goes, I don't think it was that bad. It looked creepy, but it made much more sense to take her out of the elevator than it did to leave her in there. Elevators move, after all. I don't know why he didn't carry her out, but maybe he was too drunk.

pgardn
09-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Yes. That's what it was. It wasn't abuse. By all accounts, he just made a mistake. His wife did too. He's not a horrible human being just for snapping and responding badly after repeated provocations. I think she has every right to be pissed at the media spinning this out of control, especially if she knows that she played a bigger role than people assign to her. She obviously hit him first (in the video), and she may well have been physical with him previously. There's no way that anyone who does that SHOULD feel like they're a victim. Yet, the media completely disregarded her own agency in the ordeal. They turned her into a victim to make Rice into a monster. That is the media's fault, not Rice's nor Palmer's.

Ray deserved his punishment (not to this extent, but still) for overreacting and using dangerous force. However, Palmer was not a victim just because she's weaker. I simply don't think it's fair for people to call this DA when there are legit cases where one family member actually does abuse a person who's not fighting back or even doing anything wrong. Ray has done a lot of good in the community. To be compared to OJ Simpson, for people to say that he was did was worse than that Hernandez did, is completely baseless.

As far as the elevator thing goes, I don't think it was that bad. It looked creepy, but it made much more sense to take her out of the elevator than it did to leave her in there. Elevators move, after all. I don't know why he didn't carry her out, but maybe he was too drunk.

Its good to know someone is in the head of Rice.

This is pitiful. Wailing and moaning. Tough luck bud. You are in the entertainment business and you had no clue. Your employers basically set you up by not doing their due diligence. Wait till next year. They might forget. Ray Lewis got a shot at TV. It's not over yet.

Chinook
09-12-2014, 09:16 PM
Its good to know someone is in the head of Rice.

This is pitiful. Wailing and moaning. Tough luck bud. You are in the entertainment business and you had no clue. Your employers basically set you up by not doing their due diligence. Wait till next year. They might forget. Ray Lewis got a shot at TV. It's not over yet.

I never claimed to be in the head of Rice. I am saying that Palmer knows what happened better than anyone else. And for them to disregard her agency with their psychobabble is not Ray's fault. It's theirs, and they (the media) should have to own up to it. But they won't.

I don't think a "Get over it," prescription really makes sense to the Rices. They'll have to get over it regardless. But they can't because people keep calling for blood and attacking them. Janay was already over it (as far as we know) by the time Rice had his first press conference. It's everyone else who can't seem to move past the issue ... SEVEN months later.

pgardn
09-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I never claimed to be in the head of Rice. I am saying that Palmer knows what happened better than anyone else. And for them to disregard her agency with their psychobabble is not Ray's fault. It's theirs, and they (the media) should have to own up to it. But they won't.

I don't think a "Get over it," prescription really makes sense to the Rices. They'll have to get over it regardless. But they can't because people keep calling for blood and attacking them. Janay was already over it (as far as we know) by the time Rice had his first press conference. It's everyone else who can't seem to move past the issue ... SEVEN months later.

Thank the NFL as well. This was pointed out in another thread. Seven months later some people finally learned that a knock out blow looks much worse on camera than what was already written in plain English.

Ray Rice is an entertainer. Entertainers are judged by the public. Does the NFL need to provide players with a course on this? Or just keep requiring some uninterested entertainers to occasionally go on pre planned visits to hospitals or serve turkey during Thanksgiving to homeless people... For maybe a whole hour of what could have been some good video game time at home on the couch.

But he just made a mistake. Chinook knows this was a first time deal. Nothing close to this had ever happened before to Ray. A onetime mistake. Just like the drunk driver that gets pulled over for the first time.

SnakeBoy
09-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Vikings Adrian Peterson reportedly indicted in child injury case

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-adrian-peterson-child-abuse-20140912-story.html

Spanked his kid..Oh Noes!

boutons_deux
09-14-2014, 04:31 AM
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/0912-adrian-peterson-son-injuries-7-800x430.jpg

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/13/details-emerge-in-adrian-peterson-child-abuse-case-im-all-tearing-that-butt-up-when-needed/

boutons_deux
09-14-2014, 04:41 AM
The injuries to the child, discovered during a check-up with the child’s doctor, included cuts and bruises to the boy’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to his hands.

Authorities said the child had a different story saying, “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face,” and that he was worried his father would punch him in the face if he told police what happened. He also added that Peterson put the branch’s leaves in his mouth while he was being beaten with his pants down.

In interviews with police, Peterson admitted to the beating saying the marks on the child were similar to those on his other children get when he “spanks them with a switch.”

http://www.alternet.org/culture/nfls-adrian-peterson-admits-beating-4-year-old-son-likens-markings-those-he-gives-his-other

SnakeBoy
09-14-2014, 10:54 AM
Supposed to hold still for your whoopin...kid would have figured that out eventually. Peterson should get a medal for being involved in his childrens lives.