PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Suns entourage makes case to Finley

Kori Ellis
08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Phoenix Suns entourage makes case to Finley

Associated Press
National Basketball Association News Wire

PRESCOTT, Ariz. -- The Phoenix Suns sent a six-person delegation, including three players, to meet with free agent guard Michael Finley in Chicago on Tuesday to try to persuade him to sign with the team that drafted him a decade ago.

"It was a nice meeting," Suns president Bryan Colangelo told The Associated Press just before flying back to Phoenix. "We had a chance to talk to Michael and his agent and I would say that things went well. Hopefully the story line we presented was a compelling one."

Joining Colangelo in the talks were team owner Robert Sarver, coach Mike D'Antoni and players Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Raja Bell. Not present but certainly a part of the campaign is Suns playmaker Steve Nash, a good friend and former Dallas Mavericks teammate of Finley.

Phoenix also has a message on its Web site urging fans to send e-mails pleading with Finley to come back to the Suns. Phoenix drafted Finley as the 21st pick overall in 1995. He was traded to Dallas in the 1996-97 season as part of the deal that brought Jason Kidd to the Suns.

The 32-year-old shooting guard has indicated he wants to play for a title contender, and the Suns believe they fit that description after an NBA-best 62 win season. Adding Finley would ease the impact of the departure of Joe Johnson, who went to Atlanta in a sign-and-trade deal after telling Sarver he no longer wanted to play for the Suns.

Phoenix was the second team to send a delegation to Chicago this week to talk to Finley and his agent Henry Thomas. Miami Heat president Pat Riley and coach Stan Van Gundy were there on Monday. Miami can offer Finley the full $5 million midlevel exception, not to mention the opportunity to play with Shaquille O'Neal. The Suns can offer only the $1.1 million veteran's minimum.

Finley, who averaged a career-low 15.7 points last season, was waived by Dallas under a one-time "amnesty clause" that allows teams to cut players to keep their salaries from being subject to the NBA's luxury tax. Finley still will receive the $52 million remaining on his Dallas contract, but the Mavs won't have to pay that same amount in luxury tax, as they would have had he been kept on the roster.

Detroit and San Antonio also have indicated interest, but the Pistons used up much of their remaining money by signing Dale Davis to a two-year, $7 million contract on Tuesday.

Thomas did not return a message left on his cell phone.

Kori Ellis
08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Six people from the Suns went to meet with Finley.

I wonder who the Spurs will send. My guess is either just Pop .. or Pop and RC.

BadlyDrawnBoy
08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Six people from the Suns went to meet with Finley.

I wonder who the Spurs will send. My guess is either just Pop .. or Pop and RC.

Doesn't sending a ton of people make you seem really desperate?

I think the Spurs should just send Pop and RC. Let them get down to the brass taxes of what the Spurs want.

Spurminator
08-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Send Bruce.

Just Bruce.

Dex
08-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Phoenix also has a message on its Web site urging fans to send e-mails pleading with Finley to come back to the Suns.

:lmao

I smell a little desperation here.

Dex
08-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Send Bruce.

Just Bruce.

:lol

"I promise I won't elbow you in practice"

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Raja Bell?

I can see it now.

"you know, I wasn't going to go with the Suns when I talked to Amare and Shawn, but seeing Raja there telling me he cared really put them over the top."

genghisrex
08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Raja Bell?

I can see it now.

"you know, I wasn't going to go with the Suns when I talked to Amare and Shawn, but seeing Raja there telling me he cared really put them over the top."

The Suns should take a lesson from Monty Williams and Orlando: former scrub teammates don't attract talent.

Solid D
08-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Send Pop, RC and David Robinson.

Solid D
08-23-2005, 10:24 PM
Then, bring in Timmy and Big Shot Rob to take him to dinner.

SUNDVOLD 20
08-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Send beno with his man purse and show his love he has for his team mates from behind, i.e. rasho and a very peturbed brent barry.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I just can't get over sending Raja Bell. That's some funny shit. May as well send Jake Voskuhl while you're at it.

Kori Ellis
08-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I just can't get over sending Raja Bell. That's some funny shit. May as well send Jake Voskuhl while you're at it.

Well, I think Raja Bell and Finley are friends from when Raja was in Dallas. So it makes some sense.

reader
08-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Bell was a team-mate in Dallas with him.

Sense
08-23-2005, 11:31 PM
Phoenix also has a message on its Web site urging fans to send e-mails pleading with Finley to come back to the Suns.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-23-2005, 11:45 PM
I know they were teammates, but I guess I just think I wouldn't be too impressed with some bench fodder tagging along to say come play with us.

Amare, Shawn, and Nash? Sure...

Dalamar_the_Dark
08-24-2005, 02:26 AM
He may be bench fodder to you but Raja and Finley were pretty tight in Dallas. They didnt send Nash there cause they wont need to repeat whatever Finley knows already. I dont know but this Finley saga sounds real familiar to the Payton and Malone saga 2 years back. My bet is that he will sign for the Veterans minimum cause he'll say that I dont need the money. I want to win.

SenorSpur
08-24-2005, 03:01 AM

I smell a little desperation here.

When you were nearly swept out of the playoffs by the eventual NBA champions and having just lost one of your most critical players (Joe Johnson), that would signal desparation.

By becoming more defensive-minded (acquiring Bell, Thomas and Grant), their offense has taken a huge hit (losing JJ & Q). As a result, they are more desparate to obtain Finley than anyone. While JJ can never be truly replaced, Finley will help plug the hole somewhat.

Every move these guys have made this summer is with the Spurs in mind. Sort of reminds me back in '01 when the Spurs brought in Bruce Bowen to help solve the Laker problem.

NashtoAmare
08-24-2005, 10:11 PM

Jake Voskuhl isin't even on our team anymore. Raja Bell played in Dallas with Mike thats why they sent him also because Raja would be Mike's backup. When we got Steve Nash last year, almost the whole team went to Dallas to try to get him. I'm sure in saying that worked out well.

1Billups1
08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I agree, there is nothing wrong with sending Raja there, he is familiar with Finley.

mavsfan1000
08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Dallas will beat Phoenix next year due to losing Q and Joe Johnson. Dampier and Dirk will no longer have to worry about the athletic advantage of the suns because Kurt Thomas is not as quick Josh Howard can guard Marion.

1Billups1
08-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Dirk has to worry about Amare, last time i checked he was pretty athletic.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Dampier and Dirk will no longer have to worry about the athletic advantage of the suns because Kurt Thomas is not as quick Josh Howard can guard Marion.

Dampier will be out hurt again, and Dirk still has to deal with Amare.

mavsfan1000
08-24-2005, 10:30 PM
And Amare has to worry about Dirk unless you put him on Howard or Damp. Dirk should have his way with Amare or Kurt. The mismatches go both ways and Dirk probably will guard Kurt anyway.

exstatic
08-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Dirk has to worry about Amare, last time i checked he was pretty athletic.

Last time I checked, he had 400 more made 3 pointers in his lineup than he has now. He's going to become REAL well acquainted with pack it down defenses.

BillsCarnage
08-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Kori - Dups anywhere?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23938

Kori Ellis
08-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Kori - Dups anywhere?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23938

Huh?

SirChaz
08-25-2005, 02:22 AM

Voskuhl is in Charlotte now.

Bell is a former teammate.

NashtoAmare
09-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Dallas will beat Phoenix next year due to losing Q and Joe Johnson. Dampier and Dirk will no longer have to worry about the athletic advantage of the suns because Kurt Thomas is not as quick Josh Howard can guard Marion.

We won last year against Dallas without JJ and Q like asleep

NASHville
09-02-2005, 10:25 PM
The Spurs are without a doubt THE the team to beat and have one of the best teams in the league, bar none.

Great job Pop and Buford.