PDA

View Full Version : After watching the 2014 NBA Finals for the 20th time, I have come to a realization...

xellos88330
09-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Any other basketball that I watch looks damn ugly. I am just hoping that after that display of pure basketball the Spurs showed in the Finals series will not have ruined my capability to enjoy spectating the sport.

Anyone else have this same problem?

EDIT: Also, even playing basketball has become difficult. Watching a person go 1 on 5 is never fun when not only myself, but 3 other people are wide open.

Dex
09-12-2014, 01:56 PM
I know what you mean. After watching the Spurs execute their offense for years, I feel like I need to play the Benny Hill theme whenever I watch college ball.

r0drig0lac
09-12-2014, 02:02 PM
the same here, only the elite of fiba basketball looks something close

poop
09-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Watched game 4 of 2007 finals last night and even that was uuuugly compared to the majesty of the '14 team

ginobilized
09-12-2014, 03:29 PM
They didn't call it The Beautiful Game for nothing.

Poolboy5623
09-12-2014, 03:31 PM
I'd agree. After I was a bit burned out, watching this year's finals replays, I decided to go thru my collection of past championships. First up was 07. Holy hell was that a bad idea. 07 looked like a football game without pads and goal posts. I haven't tried watching anything bball related, since. I'm pretty sure I'm scarred for the time being.

wildbill2u
09-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Watch only Spurs games. Find and Play with new team mates. Once you get the idea of Spurs basketball, everything becomes simple.

Silver&Black
09-12-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm like most people here...I only watch the Spurs play. If the Spurs aren't playing that night...and there is a notable game like on TNT...I'll flip the channel and check out the score every once in a while. But I'm not watching the entire game. Maybe like 5 out of the 48 minutes....

The Spurs are playing??? 48 minutes of must see TV......

Silver&Black
09-12-2014, 05:38 PM
I'd agree. After I was a bit burned out, watching this year's finals replays, I decided to go thru my collection of past championships. First up was 07. Holy hell was that a bad idea. 07 looked like a football game without pads and goal posts. I haven't tried watching anything bball related, since. I'm pretty sure I'm scarred for the time being.

I've seen some of the replays on NBATV of the Pistons Finals. Seems like a long time ago when we were winning games 89-85. But you're right the physicality....wow!!! The good ole' days...when you could beat and bang on a guy down low and he'd beat and bang on you on the other end. Shit...players would foul out in the 2nd Q if they tried that today.

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-12-2014, 06:55 PM
The Spurs are the most entertaining thing to watch, and it's nice to see your hometown team dominate with such consistency.
That being said, I always try to watch as much basketball as I possibly can. I pretty much record every hardwood classic, and I recorded every WC game that they aired on NBAtv. There is nothing more entertaining than basketball, and nothing like clearing your head by getting into a game.

tmtcsc
09-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Watched game 4 of 2007 finals last night and even that was uuuugly compared to the majesty of the '14 team

I have no desire to watch any of those 2007 games again. In fact, I don't think I've watched them since their original dates played. It was UGLY. Great to win, but UGLY.

I remember re-watching the closeout games (Dallas, NJ) of the 2003 Championship run as well as the 2005 games many times. - Especially games 5 & 7 against the Pistons.

boutons_deux
09-12-2014, 09:18 PM
As I've said before, the over-expanded NBA plays 2400 games/year, and 2000+ are reliably unwatchable.

100%duncan
09-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I dont watch much of non spurs i the season too tbh only big matchups maybe but still not the whole game

Sean Cagney
09-12-2014, 11:06 PM

That whole series was flat out ugly basically :lol. Their O then would go through those long droughts, good lord it got ugly at times. I loved the D minded mainly Spurs and that was a thing of beauty but slow and basically grind down game and on that end perfection, the O though could get very ugly. The 14 Spurs O though, if anyone calls that boring the they are full of crap, that O the last few years has been beauty.

JR3
09-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Haven't been able to watch college....nba is starting to get rough now too.

Venti Quattro
09-12-2014, 11:37 PM
the same here, only the elite of fiba basketball looks something close

:lmao just no

Team USA is barely breaking a sweat in the FIBA World Cup

Dex
09-13-2014, 01:08 AM
:lmao just no

Team USA is barely breaking a sweat in the FIBA World Cup

Even watching the USA in FIBA is boring. Part of it is the fact that everybody they have faced is dramatically over-matched in athleticism and talent. The other part is that they still don't know how to play real basketball, because they don't have to.

This years incarnation of Team USA makes its living off of traps, steals, fast-breaks, and lob dunks. And they are winning the tournament easily with that, so who can blame them? But it's not like they are out there playing fundamental basketball...every game is a track meet because they can run the fastest, and Harden is the best at running into people.

Venti Quattro
09-13-2014, 01:13 AM
Execution-wise, I think they're doing well. Coach K coached teams are generally disciplined. They're doing their job of killing their opponent's hope and, really, that's just what it takes for the United States to steamroll the competition. On the other hand, their strongest competition couldn't even beat the Frenchies. The whole World Cup just got boring from that point.

:lmao Ethpaña

mkurts
09-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Can only watch Spurs … college ball is just dogshit garbage

mudyez
09-13-2014, 04:31 AM
after watching game 6 of the CF as a warm up, my task list for the weekend includes watching the 4 finals victories again :)

mudyez
09-13-2014, 05:32 AM
would be fun to read the game thread while watching, but I'm to lazy to search for them :)

(couldn't even remember how ST reacted to the Ibaka goaltend or clear path no call from Fisher on Manu in the WCF)

exstatic
09-13-2014, 06:18 AM
I went back and looked at the box scores. Joey Crawford reffed game 4, in Miami, and it didn't even matter. That's how good this team was.

ceperez
09-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Same here, I don't even bother watching the local NBA team, it is just so frustrating and ugly to watch.

carina_gino20
09-13-2014, 08:52 AM
After the Finals, I watched their Game 1 vs Mavs and boy, was that painful. They just got better and better the deeper they went into the playoffs, injuries and all. :lol

hyhy
09-13-2014, 09:38 AM
I cant watch any games that I already know the results.. It takes away half the fun

Poolboy5623
09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
I cant watch any games that I already know the results.. It takes away half the fun

Huh...I LOVE re watching BIG games, I know they won. Great feeling, knowing how much I tortured myself, live....knowing I can just chill and smile, watching it over again .

baseline bum
09-13-2014, 10:40 AM
This thread is crazy. Go back and watch the Spurs Game 6 vs Phoenix in 07 or their Game 2 vs Phoenix in 05 and tell me that wasn't beautiful basketball. There have been lots of teams who I have truly loved watching play. The 02 Kings with their incredible high post passing from Webber and Divac were great. The three-peat Lakers were a lot of fun to watch run the triangle, and they were even more entertaining in the Gasol era since he was an absolute perfect fit for that offense. Sure, you get plenty of ugly to watch teams like the 98 Bulls, 99, 03 Spurs, 04 Pistons, 08 Celtics winning too, but let's not act like this Spurs team is unique winning with style. But I will say the 14 Spurs were the most fun team of all-time to watch for me, with the 04 Argentine Olympic team being second.

xellos88330
09-13-2014, 01:01 PM
This thread is crazy. Go back and watch the Spurs Game 6 vs Phoenix in 07 or their Game 2 vs Phoenix in 05 and tell me that wasn't beautiful basketball. There have been lots of teams who I have truly loved watching play. The 02 Kings with their incredible high post passing from Webber and Divac were great. The three-peat Lakers were a lot of fun to watch run the triangle, and they were even more entertaining in the Gasol era since he was an absolute perfect fit for that offense. Sure, you get plenty of ugly to watch teams like the 98 Bulls, 99, 03 Spurs, 04 Pistons, 08 Celtics winning too, but let's not act like this Spurs team is unique winning with style. But I will say the 14 Spurs were the most fun team of all-time to watch for me, with the 04 Argentine Olympic team being second.

This is exactly what I mean. I just hope the Spurs can show me something better. :D

ManuTastic
09-15-2014, 11:37 AM
Watching other teams play, especially the more mediocre ones, just makes me feel sorry for their fans. There's so much selfish play, with occasional highlights from talented stars, but more often wasted possessions and silly bail-out shots. Compared to the Spurs, most of the rest of the league is playing D-League get-your-stats ball. I hope everyone else is paying attention to how the game should be played.

Fireball
09-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Of course I focus on watching Spurs games, but I still like watching other top western conference teams play each other ... Eastern conference is another story though

Eddy from Austin
09-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Typical NBA bandwagon fan: "If there isn't enough alley-oops or monster dunks is boring basket ball"

Captivus
09-15-2014, 07:16 PM
After watching the 2014 NBA Finals for the 20th time, I have come to a realization... (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239141&page=2)

Manu deserved the FMVP!

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-15-2014, 07:36 PM
After watching the 2014 NBA Finals for the 20th time, I have come to a realization... (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239141&page=2)

Manu deserved the FMVP!

I'm a huge Leonard fan, but I can't really whole-heartedly disagree with that. Leonard was magnificent, and being at game 5, his impact could be felt throughout the building, but Manu was a beast as well. His dunk through traffic, his step-back 3 and his overall intensity after getting pushed around by Battier changed the momentum of that game.

For the series their numbers were pretty close. Tough call. Manu probably could have gotten it in '05 over Timmy. Had they given it to Manu this year people could have argued for Leonard for the next several years like they did with the '05 award.

hater
09-15-2014, 07:53 PM

Manu deserved the FMVP!

:lmao

no he didn't

I just rewatched the finals(up to game 4 so far)

Manu was probably our 5th best player (Leonard, Duncan, Diaw, Green)

If anything Green became a man during this series and needs more props. I won't be calling him 1 trick pony again :tu

Captivus
09-16-2014, 06:40 AM
:lmao

no he didn't

I just rewatched the finals(up to game 4 so far)

Manu was probably our 5th best player (Leonard, Duncan, Diaw, Green)

If anything Green became a man during this series and needs more props. I won't be calling him 1 trick pony again :tu

His game 5 performance was incredible. Shot after shot, momentum changer. The Spurs were down big!
What if...losing...game 6 in Miami...not easy.

Not saying Kawhi didnt deserve it...but after watching the game I think its closer that I thought at the time. (right after the game).
The Big 3 needed that Manu FMVP.

Just my opinion.

hyhy
09-16-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm a huge Leonard fan, but I can't really whole-heartedly disagree with that. Leonard was magnificent, and being at game 5, his impact could be felt throughout the building, but Manu was a beast as well. His dunk through traffic, his step-back 3 and his overall intensity after getting pushed around by Battier changed the momentum of that game.

For the series their numbers were pretty close. Tough call. Manu probably could have gotten it in '05 over Timmy. Had they given it to Manu this year people could have argued for Leonard for the next several years like they did with the '05 award.

huge leonard fan too, but I think that Manu made a greater impact in several games. There were alot of games, where the starters just cant seem to make any basket or get a lead and in comes Manu, and suddenly the game blows open.
I think one of the major reason why kawhi won the FMVP was because he was up against lebron. If Lebron was defending parker all game instead of kawhi, Manu would probably get the FMVP

exstatic
09-16-2014, 07:48 AM
I love Manu, but there is NO WAY he deserved the FMVP over Kawhi.

Looking at old style stats, Kawhi shot 62% in the Finals. 62%. He outshot Patty Mills from beyond the arc, 57.9% to 56.5%. If you look at advanced stats, there isn't anyone close to him, except Mills. His Ortg was 136, and his Drtg was 101. What that means is for every 100 possessions he was on the court, SA outscored Miami by 35 points. Manu's numbers were 118/105.

Kawhi Leonard was the best player on the court for the last 3 games, and LeBron James was on that same court.

Dex
09-16-2014, 08:32 AM
I love Manu, but there is NO WAY he deserved the FMVP over Kawhi.

Looking at old style stats, Kawhi shot 62% in the Finals. 62%. He outshot Patty Mills from beyond the arc, 57.9% to 56.5%. If you look at advanced stats, there isn't anyone close to him, except Mills. His Ortg was 136, and his Drtg was 101. What that means is for every 100 possessions he was on the court, SA outscored Miami by 35 points. Manu's numbers were 118/105.

Kawhi Leonard was the best player on the court for the last 3 games, and LeBron James was on that same court.

Let's not forget that Leonard did all of this WHILE primarily guarding James and doing a damn good job of it. James still got his, but he had to work his ass off for it (as evidenced by the cramps in Game 1, and the overall fatigue from Game 4 and 5).

Those FMVP were highly influenced by the fact that Kawhi was the MVP on both the offensive AND defensive side of the ball, as well they should be.

TheRealCB
09-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Welcome to FIBA basketball my friends!