PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hawks GM Danny Ferry for what he said about Luol Deng in a private conference call

Thebesteva
09-12-2014, 10:20 PM
WTF is going on with the world?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/12/us/atlanta-hawks-racism-claims/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Reck
09-12-2014, 10:50 PM
I think Dannu Ferry reads this board.

A little african in him aka monkey baller. :lol

Infinite_limit
09-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Failing to see how anything he said is a fireable offense.

RD2191
09-13-2014, 12:17 AM
Would Pop get fired for saying TP has a little French in him? So stupid. :lol

Texas_Ranger
09-13-2014, 07:47 AM
lol if he gets fired for that.

TDMVPDPOY
09-13-2014, 07:54 AM

nothing will happen, he wont demand a trade, cause a coatrider will always be a coatrider

JamStone
09-13-2014, 09:55 AM

The "has a little African in him" is not what got Ferry in trouble. Why do people try to make parallels with that comment and that comment alone? It's the subsequent comments Ferry made describing what he meant that got him in trouble. If Ferry said Deng "had a little African in him" and then immediately said "you know, he has Sudanese ancestry," then it's a different context. But he went on to suggest African meant a scheming conman and two-faced liar and cheat.

So if Pop said Parker had a little French in him, for the most part, no problem. But if Pop said Parker had a little French in him, and then followed it up with, "not in a bad way. On the surface he might act manly, but behind his bedroom door that little fag takes it up the ass like a French princess," then you got some fuel for racist comments.

Jenks
09-13-2014, 07:12 PM
The "has a little African in him" is not what got Ferry in trouble. Why do people try to make parallels with that comment and that comment alone? It's the subsequent comments Ferry made describing what he meant that got him in trouble. If Ferry said Deng "had a little African in him" and then immediately said "you know, he has Sudanese ancestry," then it's a different context. But he went on to suggest African meant a scheming conman and two-faced liar and cheat.
He was reading that report which originated from the Cavs, it's surfaced with whoever actually said its name redacted. People should be going after that person, not Ferry. Someone else's words from someone who knew Deng (almost definitely David Griffin, btw).

ElNono
09-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Ferry opted for the wrong words, tbh.... should've just said "he has a little nigerian scammer on him"...

But I also think Pop can and will rescue Danny in a year or two, once the outrage goes away a bit...

m>s
09-13-2014, 07:43 PM
Fuck this world

JamStone
09-13-2014, 10:20 PM
He was reading that report which originated from the Cavs, it's surfaced with whoever actually said its name redacted. People should be going after that person, not Ferry. Someone else's words from someone who knew Deng (almost definitely David Griffin, btw).

That's Ferry's story and I'm not buying it. There are plenty of other people (including in the media) that don't buy it either. There are scouting documents that have the comments, but you don't think those docs could have easily been forged after the fact? There is audio recording of the phone call and from what I've read, there is very little to no indication that Ferry is reading scouting reports from other people, nor does he make mention of that when he makes the comments. And if he was reading other people's comments, how stupid is Danny Ferry for repeating them on a business call with a dozen other people, when at best the choice of words are insensitive and at worst, at least borderline racist?

You have to ask yourself whether he's really that stupid or he was actually making comments (whether his or someone else's) that he had no problem with. And if he had no problem with the comments in the first place, then there's something wrong with him. They're not the most racist comments ever. But they are clearly inappropriate comments. You're a GM of an NBA team, a pretty public job, a million dollar job. And you're not smart enough to refrain from making or repeating those comments?

Either he's incredibly stupid or he's got some "prejudice in him." But not in a bad way, you know?

Biernutz
09-14-2014, 10:58 AM
I have read that the ATL owners group is totally dysfunctional. With a new owner Danny was gone anyway...

Jenks
09-14-2014, 08:48 PM
There are scouting documents that have the comments, but you don't think those docs could have easily been forged after the fact?
No, because what he said wasn't that bad, and forging a fake scouting report for this purpose would be easily found out and he'd be blackballed from the league. The league investigated this and Silver said Ferry didn't deserve to lose his job - you think the league wouldn't figure out he forged that scouting report? Did you even look at the documents or are you just talking out of your ass? With that sort of reasoning, I don't think you in particular should be calling anyone "incredibly stupid."

edit, to help you out buddy

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/09/12/hawks2.pdf
Obviously according to this document, the racist language originated from someone in Cleveland
Now, have the Cavs come out swinging denying and saying this is a fake document, or have they been laying low so simpletons like yourself can continue to crucify Ferry?

Jacob1983
09-17-2014, 02:20 AM
Deng was born in Africa and is African. How he can have "a little African" in him? Shouldn't he have all African in him?

Why are all of these dumbasses saying this shit in emails, texts, tweets, videos, and phone calls?

Chinook
09-17-2014, 02:42 AM
Also, disparaging African's isn't racist. Even if Ferry had a negative view on Africans, he can think American Blacks (or Caribbean, European, Australian blacks) are perfectly good people. I don't get why blacks here would be upset about the comments. That's like white folks here being offended by someone making a comment about Europe.

spurraider21
09-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Also, disparaging African's isn't racist. Even if Ferry had a negative view on Africans, he can think American Blacks (or Caribbean, European, Australian blacks) are perfectly good people. I don't get why blacks here would be upset about the comments. That's like white folks here being offended by someone making a comment about Europe.
because people are weird. sort of like when trill tried to take pride in ancient Egyptians supposedly being black even though he has zero ties to egypt. people find weird things to be proud/offended of

cheguevara
09-17-2014, 05:45 AM
Lol "private" conference call.

thats like saying private email.

fery is a dumbshit

FkLA
09-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I think blacks can overreact sometimes (not necessarily in this case) but the white trash on ST can't be the edgy racist and get angry when blacks play the racist card at the same time. It's always the same ball of idiots on ST too.

DMC
09-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Because American blacks wrongly use "African American" as a moniker and so anything "African" must mean them. Actually the USA is infected with victim mentality, and I blame most of it on lawyers and media. In fact, I feel I've been slighted by it, and it's not fair.

Roger Freemason Jr.
09-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Elijah Mohammed wouldn't be offended.

Killakobe81
09-19-2014, 08:13 AM
No, because what he said wasn't that bad, and forging a fake scouting report for this purpose would be easily found out and he'd be blackballed from the league. The league investigated this and Silver said Ferry didn't deserve to lose his job - you think the league wouldn't figure out he forged that scouting report? Did you even look at the documents or are you just talking out of your ass? With that sort of reasoning, I don't think you in particular should be calling anyone "incredibly stupid."

edit, to help you out buddy

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/09/12/hawks2.pdf
Obviously according to this document, the racist language originated from someone in Cleveland
Now, have the Cavs come out swinging denying and saying this is a fake document, or have they been laying low so simpletons like yourself can continue to crucify Ferry?

Jam as a simpleton ...seriously?!

D-Wade
09-19-2014, 09:36 AM

You mean like when a white guy in South Africa calls a black South African "boy" but was apparently cool with me?

You mean like a white guy in the states values the work ethic of Africans and Caribbean while wondering why "black Americans don't get their act together."

That's why.

Leetonidas
09-19-2014, 10:30 AM
lol at all the fake outrage over this

Chinook
09-19-2014, 11:21 AM
You mean like when a white guy in South Africa calls a black South African "boy" but was apparently cool with me?

You mean like a white guy in the states values the work ethic of Africans and Caribbean while wondering why "black Americans don't get their act together."

That's why.

Lol. That's foolish. Did you think that contention was supposed to be profound?

D-Wade
09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Lol. That's foolish. Did you think that contention was supposed to be profound?

It's not a contention. It's fact and history. Shit, the way some on here and other places say "monkeyball" proves my point. The same white supremacy that we're still dealing with today originated in dealing with Africa (and Native Americans too you could say).

Chinook
09-19-2014, 01:22 PM
It's not a contention. It's fact and history. Shit, the way some on here and other places say "monkeyball" proves my point. The same white supremacy that we're still dealing with today originated in dealing with Africa (and Native Americans too you could say).

Bro, you're not helping your case. What Ferry said had nothing to do with black people in general. Deng is African. Lebron is not. Disparaging 'African' only refers to one player. You can understand that 'European' would pick out Belinelli but not McRoberts right?

D-Wade
09-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Bro, you're not helping your case. What Ferry said had nothing to do with black people in general. Deng is African. Lebron is not. Disparaging 'African' only refers to one player. You can understand that 'European' would pick out Belinelli but not McRoberts right?

Not the same at all buddy. Explain to me why people say "Go back to Africa" to black Americans. The history is different. These things aren't equal.

Chinook
09-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Not the same at all buddy. Explain to me why people say "Go back to Africa" to black Americans. The history is different. These things aren't equal.

Even sillier. Nobody said that at all except you. It wasn't even implied. Frankly, it's incredibly ignorant for you to equate black and African. The whole reason why Deng was a refugee is because those two terms are not the same.

K...
06-08-2016, 09:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/danny-ferry-010128003.html

Ferry is coming back, starting at the bottom in NO. I knew he'd come back and i guess Louisiana don't care about having "a little african in em"

ambchang
06-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Linked story at the bottom:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cavs-fan-cursed-steph-currys-003819374.html

Darth_Pelican
06-09-2016, 11:14 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/danny-ferry-010128003.html

Ferry is coming back, starting at the bottom in NO. I knew he'd come back and i guess Louisiana don't care about having "a little african in em"

Our black GM Dell Demps is the one who pushed to hire him, which is even more proof that this thing got blown way out of proportion.

K...
06-09-2016, 02:11 PM
Well it's obviously a PR issue, not core competence that kept him unemployed. It probably kept him from being considered for any east coast position

That said, New Orleans is a high risk, high reward, type place. Probably better than Brooklyn where there were slim to no assets. Hard to know if this is just a pity hire, or a sign that NO are going to clear the roster.

Maybe this helps the possible trade rumors. My good friend apolosic said tyreke to spurs was a done deal.